[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

GM Advice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: a really good world gen.gif (98KB, 628x400px) Image search: [Google]
a really good world gen.gif
98KB, 628x400px
Hi, /tg/ I'm a relatively new GM. I've been playing Magical Burst, Powered By The Apocalypse games (Dungeon World, The Sprawl), 5e D & D, Mutants & Masterminds, and most recently FantasyCraft. I feel like at this point I have a pretty decent idea of how the flow of a pnp game works and really the most fun I've had was in a short lived 5e campaign in an original setting. I think it wasn't 5e I really liked but that what I enjoyed most was playing with design and seeing reactions from players. The game died because of internal drama and worries about railroading/metagaming on my end from a couple who was playing in the game. I'm sure I wasn't doing perfectly because it was my first time and in the future I'd like to better and keep things feeling fair. What makes a really good GM? How do I make sure players know I'm making decisions based on the fiction rather than metagame "geek the mage" choices? What do you wish you knew about GMing 5 years ago?
>>
tell your players to fuck off, you'll railroad if you want to. don't worry about it.
>>
>>54879322
The first and most important thing is to realize the tone you want for the game, let the players know, then apply that tone.
If you are running a hardbitten tone, the world and it's reactions to the players ought to reflect such.
Another needed skill is being able to work with the players seamlessly, to take their actions and react to them smoothly.
>>
>>54879322
The single, single most important skill a GM can have is to learn how to screen out disruptive players. If your game died due to internal drama, you have much to learn still.
>>
>>54879399
So you would say that tonal consistency is the key to making players feel like my actions as gm are fair?
>>54879452
What are some good warning signs you've found to look out for? In this case, one player wanted to play Animated Armor which in hindsight was a red flag
>>
>>54879501
>What are some good warning signs you've found to look out for?
They don't pay attention. They agree to a change/tone/rulesset/whatever, and then forgot that they did so and complain about whatever it was. They switch out characters frequently, getting bored with one concept and moving along to another one. They want to play a character who has no reason to stick with the group, or worse, actively wants to sabotage it (Exception to be made if you're playing something that encourages that sort of behavior, but I'm assuming you're not). Chronic lateness, especially without warning. Can't get along with other players. Constantly engaged in player vs DM mentality. Just a general non-comprehension of social norms. Honestly, there's a lot, and I do it half by instinct.
>>
>>54879691
Yeah, there was a lot of player vs DM feeling, one of my players especially felt like I was targeting them unfairly. Is this a common problem with players?
>>
>>54879747

It can be. Learning to manage player's perceptions is a huge part of DMing. An argument that whether things are fair or accurate is less important than if things feel fair or accurate.
>>
>>54879322
how do you get such a good world map?
>>
>>54882843
This.
From a long time GM pov, players can be fucking morons that run primarily on muh feels than any actual intelligence or comprehension. GMs who make decisions based on muh feels when it comes to the game are even worse, and the source of every bad houserule and poor decision that becomes the players' problem ever.
>>54879501
>So you would say that tonal consistency is the key to making players feel like my actions as gm are fair?
Treat everyone equally for their position. There are times you can not treat them equal because the game mechanics or story demands it, and what is most important is maintaining the flow of the game and the players' place in the world as dictated by theme and tone.
From what you have said about your players, they sound like the shitters you commonly find on /tg/ who think the GM is out to get them (somehow someway).
A pregame talk, I think, can get you somewhere with this. Tell them bluntly that you are not out to get them, and if you were, they could do nothing about it. But that isn't fun, so you don't do it. Since you are not doing it, tell them to stop acting like you are, it's near to insulting to be treated like some manner of benign evil.
You are all there to have a good time, and they need to trust you to provide a good time. That doesn't mean you are going always be nice, or suck their dicks, but to challenge them to stand above and reward them accordingly.
>>
I dig a good GM Advice Thread.

>>54879322
>What makes a really good GM?
Confidence, command, and control of the system, setting, and group.

>How do I make sure players know I'm making decisions based on the fiction rather than metagame "geek the mage" choices?
Trust must be earned, but they really should give you the benefit of the doubt to start.
Tips to build trust would include:
Rolling in the open most of time, if not all the time.
Being able to quickly and honestly explain any concerns (ie: "The archers targeted your mage only after he sent a fireball that killed a third of their forces, it just makes sense.")
Acknowledging when you make a mistake or letting them off the rails if you realize that you've been too controlling.

At the same time, they need to respect that you are the GM and what you say, goes.
Set some ground rules right away.
THEN STICK TO THEM.
A couple ideas are:
A firm start time with established results if a player is late, such as their PC goes on DM controlled autopilot with low-level plot armor.
Minimal unrelated chatter during the game; no distracting conversations
No arguments longer than a few minutes, the GM will make a call, everyone accepts it, and further discussion and resolution can happen after the game.
No cell phones during the game, if they have proven to be a distraction.
The rules might seem rigid, but once everyones used to them, they will hardly ever come up.
Each group is different.
Some groups might need a rule about fading to black instead of erp, others won't have it come up.
Season to taste.

>What do you wish you knew about GMing 5 years ago?
Hard to say, as I think I qualify as a grognard, crusty GM.
Everything I need to know to run GURPS smoothly? Honestly the best answer I got.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.