[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Crafting Good a Mystery

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3

Greetings detec/tg/uys,

I've been itching to run a full fledged mystery for my group and I was looking for advice.

Usually, I can add mystery by throwing out a vague clue and improvising with whatever direction the players go.
I can run adventure-tv-show level mysteries pretty easily.

But I wanted to run something with more substance, to actually challenge my players to solve an actual mystery.
Ideally, with the same characters and world they're playing in.
My questions are many, so I'll ask them in detail in the next post.
But since OPs with questions get replies:

>How do I ensure they're invested?
>Why are the PCS, and not the ones in charge, doing the investigating?
>How do I make the mystery good, interesting, challenging, but not too hard?
>How do I run a mystery investigation using characters and setting not intended for it, like D&D 2nd AD&D or a low powered D&D 3.x game?
>If I would be better off translating and transferring to another system for the mystery, which one?
>How do you run an investigation mystery in a setting with medium to high levels of magic?
>What kind of mystery to run? Murder mystery? Political assassination/attack? Catching a serial thief?
>How do keep them from guessing the answer immediately and what do you do if they do?
>How do keep them from never guessing the answer and what do you do if they do get stuck?

I know there's got to be games like this out there, but I thought I'd ask you fine gentlemen before searching beyond the classic murder mystery larp.

Also:
>Have any of you pulled off a reveal like pick related?
Any other great Mystery Storytimes are perfectly welcome too.
>>
>>54873710
Detailed questions too long for OP:

>How do I ensure they're invested?
I'm big on always letting the pcs fuck off and do something else if they want.
Threatening NPC's doesn't always work.
The only way I can thing of is to pull the tired bit of accusing them for a crime that they must prove themselves innocent of or compelling them with a geas, which raises more questions like:
>"Why aren't the ones in charge (or forcing the PCs to investigate) doing the investigating?"

>How do I make the mystery good, interesting, challenging, but not too hard?
I might have to steal from a another source and file serial numbers off.
Which leads to...

>How do I run a mystery investigation using characters and setting not intended for it?
The setting is not-medieval fantasy, so let's say I'm running a fantasy game like D&D 2nd AD&D, or a low powered D&D 3.x game.
If I would be better off translating and transferring to another system for the mystery, which one?

>How do you run an investigation mystery in a setting with medium to high levels of magic?
Speak with dead is a definite factor and psychics of all kinds exist but wouldn't necessarily be a problem, I don't think.
But dealing with those kinds of powers is an interesting related question.

>What kind of mystery to run?
My instincts are either:
1. Convoluted murder mystery by a sneaky wizard covering their tracks with deception and subterfuge. (cheesy goodness)
2. Political assassination/attack with multiple victims with the motives and true target unknown. (My pick)
3. Reverse caper trying to catch a serial thief. (Easiest and least interesting, imo)

>How do keep them from guessing the answer immediately and what do you do if they do?

>How do keep them from never guessing the answer and what do you do if they do get stuck?

Thanks for reading and any help you can offer.
>>
File: images.jpg (10KB, 289x92px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
10KB, 289x92px
Read a bit.
Stumbled upon Gumshoe.
Anybody familiar with it?
Do you think it would work for what I'm intending?
>>
>>54874165
Gunshoe is both great and terrible. It does a goid job of teaching players to manage resources for role-playing benefit and not juat combat but it's almost too simple and turns players into having about 4 specific "keys" to just try in every lock until they find one that fits. It keeps the plot moving but if they are experienced roleplayers it is pretty constraining. It's like Call of Cthulhu with training wheels.

You can learn a bit about designing mysteries from the system though. Basically you work backward and create "links" between scenes by placing key clues to find and supplementary clues that point towards the key clue to help the players decide what to look into next.
>>
Here's a mystery:
I just bumped my own thread without a single other poster.
My previous experience led me to believe that wouldn't work.
Have I been wrong about that this whole time?
Or is something else afoot?
>>
>>54874240
>it's almost too simple
>turns players into having about 4 specific "keys" to just try in every lock until they find one that fits.
>If they are experienced roleplayers it is pretty constraining.
You pretty much hit all the things I was worried about when I saw it described.
Thank you though.

It seems to have been used to make decent games with mysteries.
But I think what I want is how to steal the other secrets they used to get good mysteries.
Maybe another system wouldn't help.

I've thought of just stealing the plot of some other mystery, but stories are just linear inspiration and I'm not sure what game mysteries I could lift without the players guessing.
I usually twist around formulas and tropes for fun affect, but there's very little true "mystery" involved.
>>
File: EnagingPlayersInTheMysteryPlot.jpg (34KB, 300x333px) Image search: [Google]
EnagingPlayersInTheMysteryPlot.jpg
34KB, 300x333px
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.