[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 379
Thread images: 45

File: 7427.jpg (97KB, 640x853px) Image search: [Google]
7427.jpg
97KB, 640x853px
>Unearthed Arcana: Three-Pillar Experience
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ThreePillarXP.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
>>54861046

Have you ever faced a beholder? how did that go?
>>
Does anyone put Beholders in art galleries? Is that an overused joke?
>>
How does one remove a curse from a magic item, anyway?
>>
>>54871467
In 3.5e, I faced a beholder alright. I was playing as a 20th level Wizard—unknown to me is that the Archmage I was the rival of was in fact a beholder mage. We had a battle which essentially lasted two years (in game) where we would snipe around one anothers' resources and neither of us ever actually SAW one another until I raided its fortress, feebleminded it, then teleported it into an AMF where it got slaughtered by the fighter.
>>
Give me character motivations.
Any class.
>>
>>54871545
Depends on the item (means it depends on the DM). Is the curse part of the item? Removal is probably not possible. Did the curse get added later? Ask your DM.
>>
My GM made us a groundhog day scenario and I'm so fucking excited! Last session ended with us going back in time for the first time, revealing the groundhog day clusterfuckness and we all can't wait to fuck with alternate timelines!

First session was a standard "you were summoned by some dude in this tavern" and was a simple tavern brawl against bandits. Then we got 3 plot hooks : The guy who summoned us isn't here, where is he? The miners in the town woke some powerful being in the mountain and it's coming towards the town. Some townspeople are being kidnapped by a bandit gang, the tavern is being bullied into paying protection money, etc...

So first thing we made sure the town was safe from the big mountain unhappy being that was coming by making peace with it. Then we started looking for the dude that invited us, went to his place and he wasn't answering so we snuck in and found his body in his room. He was murdered. Uh oh. Then went back to the tavern and learned bandits had just kidnapped the tavern owner's wife and this bro is hooking us up with ale so WE'RE GOING RIGHT NOW TO THESE FUCKING BANDIT ASSHOLES NO ONE MESSES UP WITH OUR BEER BRO.

Took care of the bandits, then came back to town and time stopped... We just froze there while we watched, helplessly, as time started going backwards. We were frozen but we could see everyone around us going on about their lives backwards, we figured we went back about 2-3 days, probably to the day before we came to this town. Time unfroze and session ended there.

This whole ordeal took 4 sessions, we leveled up twice, got some loot, new skills and shit. AND NOW WE GET TO PLAY DETECTIVES WITH KNOWLEDGE OF FUTURE EVENTS AND MAYBE PREVENT A MURDER THIS IS SO FUCKING AWESOME I'M SO HYPED. Also this is my first D&D game ever and I'm so excited.
>>
>>54871629
Your character's father, who was once the King's headsman, has been branded a traitor and stands accused of having killed the King's young cousin and subsequently fled the kingdom. The King's men have taken your mother and your older sibling, jailing them indefinitely as retribution. You're the only one of your family remaining but you know your father is out there somewhere, and he may have the answers you're looking for.
>>
File: 76e6c4a6f6145d197c00d2d827b84502.png (728KB, 822x1222px) Image search: [Google]
76e6c4a6f6145d197c00d2d827b84502.png
728KB, 822x1222px
>>54871629
Old Hag makes pact with demon/fey to regain her youth.

Young orphaned cleric boy is chosen by the gods to make a pilgrimage to far off location and deliver a holy relic to a desecrated site.

Former aged soldier loses family to war. Devotes himself to protecting the little guys outside the big cities and towns who can't defend themselves.

Old lady monk who spends more time drinking than meditating winds up with a terrible hangover and partial memory loss and tries to remember how she got where she is and tries to find her way home.

Fighter who used to be an excellent sharpshooter retires to the woods after the busy city life of being a showman. Finds the simple life far too boring and decides to get back out there and reclaim her fame.

Child sorcerer whose powers awaken in uncontrollable spurts and becomes banished after causing a great fire that burned down many homes. Is searching the world now for a cure to rid himself of his uncontrollable power.

As the daughter of a noble, you are being wed in the name of politics and the day has come for your wedding day. Thankfully, all that time searching up illusion magic has granted you the ability to fake your death and make your escape. No longer bound to the societal hierarchy, you are free to see the world that was denied to you by your birth.

After your village was burned to the ground, slavers came and captured children and wounded women for trade. You were beaten and abused violent for years until a someone purchased you. You were fully expecting to be treated as a slave by them, but your buyer treated you with compassion. They raised you, educated you, and taught you to use many weapons. You were to be their personal guard, and has never treated you badly. You travel with him now, swearing to protect him for his kindness.
>>
>>54871467
I was telekinesis'd, paralysed, petrified and then drop by the beholder; so not very well
>>
File: DHHd3lrXgAECMIl.jpg (165KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
DHHd3lrXgAECMIl.jpg
165KB, 900x1200px
Opinions?
>>
So I made a character in a hurry for a first session and now I regret it. The problem is:
>it's the second time this happened, with the same DM
>my backstory was taken under account when he was creating the campaign plot
>I'm a coward

Should I just grow some balls? Would you allow me to change my character if you were the DM?
>>
>>54872216
So far, you haven't laid down what the actual problem is. What's your regret about? How is your character defined? Is there no room to spin it around?
>>
>sign up for 10 hour one shot on roll20 a week ago
>look forward to it all week
>forge of fury, super excited
>go to bed early night before so i can be at least 1 hour early to game
>oversleep
>an hour LATE
>apologize profusely because i hate late players and now im the late one
>they say its cool
>thank god almighty
>play for less than an hour
>in that time i realize this is easily the best DM and group ive ever had
>internet cuts out
>frantically trying to figure out whats wrong
>internet service cut off, unpaid bill
>it can't be paid immediately because my roommate pays that bill and he's at work

Now I look like the biggest asshole ever. I hate my fucking life.
>>
every day I regret not picking wizard
>>
I'm still new to DMing and I think I might be handing out too few magic items in my campaign.

How many magic items would you reasonably expect a party of 5 who are level 7 to have at this rate? Right now it's roughly one each and a couple of one-time use scrolls and a quaal's feather token.
>>
>>54872276
what ISP even disconnects you for not paying the bill? They just rack up the late fees for months and months.
>>
>>54872281
but cleric is the most fun
>>
>>54872307
they should have 1 good one and a few niche ones + scrolls and unique potions
>>
>>54872307
Depends on how difficult the campaign is. Also, I tend to use magic items more as a way to boost pcs that are falling behind in usefulness or when the party is struggling. 1 per pc at level 7 sounds ok to me.
>>
>>54872216
It's usually OK to change details, but if he used your input when creating campaign, you shouldn't force any mayor changes - unless you really need them to enjoy the game.

Do you feel like sharing your story?

>>54872281
What have you picked?

>>54872307
>too few magic items
Magic items are not build into system, they are optional. Well, you probably want your martials to have magical weapons to overcome damage resistances at some point.
I think one per person + consumables are slightly on the generous side.
>>
File: aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg (73KB, 371x495px) Image search: [Google]
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg
73KB, 371x495px
Going to play a paladin for a one-shot thing, we start at level 5. The DM said each of us could have some sort of magic item, as long as it was interesting and unique.

I wanted some cool magical armor that allowed some tactical play. Do you guys have any idea?
>>
>>54872281
THIS
H
I
S
>>
>>54872434

Sounds like fertile ground. What's your paladin's backstory/theme/religious order?
>>
>>54872434
what do you mean by "tactical play"?
tbqh this doesn't really sound neither interesting nor unique. That said, I could be wrong. What do you have in mind?
>>
>>54872434
You gain the effects of [1st level paladin buff spell] when you smite [type of enemy]
>>
What are some cooking related feats (besides gourmand)?
Making a half-orc cook here.
>>
>>54872391
Ten bob on homebrew tax collector
>>
>>54872435
at the end of the day, everyone can kill

not everyone can enchant, teleport, create illusions, fly, conjure elementals
>>
>>54872580
Not only that, only wizards can be WIZARDS.
>>
>>54872469
>What's your paladin's backstory/theme/religious order?

Backstory is mostly bound to the setting, the DM said we're well-known slayers of evil beasts, so that's gotta be in.

That being said, the pally is going to be a noble and the armor the family heirloom. My oath is devotion, so it's mostly that simple paladin stuff. Religiously I'm gonna be a fucking zealot though.

>>54872481
>what do you mean by "tactical play"?
Movement or lockdown based abilities for ome battlefield control, mainly.

>tbqh this doesn't really sound neither interesting nor unique.
I'm open to different ideas.

>>54872499
sounds a little bland, don't you think?
>>
My party needs a skill monkey character and I already play a bard in another game.

Is Arcane Trickster any good?
>>
>>54872625
Dude, go with a cool shield you can hit and cause an effect. Like buffing your party or forcing enemies to attack you (otherwise they have disadvantage)
>>
>>54872692
Great
>>
>>54872692
It's not as good as rogue/wizard desu, and it's the worst rogue subclass. That being said, sure, why not? It's not going to cripple anyone if that's what you're asking, and you get a cool invisible mage hand you can do other shit with.
>>
>>54872730
>Arcane trickster
>worst rogue subclass
Are you baiting, or do you care to elaborate on that?
>>
I'm a fresh starter.
Only played 3.5 aeons ago and now I've been dragged in a 5e adventure league

Any tips for a monk-cleric build?
>>
What's the french language of D&D?
>>
File: images (50).jpg (15KB, 384x384px) Image search: [Google]
images (50).jpg
15KB, 384x384px
Playing a Triton devotion paladin in a upcoming campaign, anyone have any ideas/tips/experience with playing a Triton?
>>
Is there a rule of sum for CR when creating a spellcasting enemy? I feel like I havent seen anything that concrete in the DMG but I could just be retarded
>>
>>54872782
Don't.

What do you want to accomplish by such multiclass?
>>
>>54872810
Consult the Average Monster Stats by CR table in the DMG. That will tell you what a spellcaster's save DC should be and roughly how much damage they should do on average with spells, from which you can derive what level spellcaster they should be.
>>
>>54872698
It wasn't my intention to use a shield, but two-handed weapons instead. About keeping the enemy's focus on me, for that I took the Sentinel feat (and there's also that compelled duel spell). But thanks for the input.
>>
>>54872852
roleplaying a wise dwarf teacher in theology engraving knowledge in the bodies of his students using his bare knuckles
>>
File: magic greatsword.jpg (95KB, 675x656px) Image search: [Google]
magic greatsword.jpg
95KB, 675x656px
Modified the weapon I made. How do you like it anons?
>>
>>54872730
>It's not as good as rogue/wizard desu

Ehhhh I don't know about that.

Rogue/Wizard surpasses Arcane Trickster once you start getting deep into Wizard, but by the time that happens 90% of campaigns are pretty much over.
>>
>>54872137
Currently more exited for S7, but I can only appreciate any love the AL gets.
>>
File: 1369959301658.png (416KB, 640x432px) Image search: [Google]
1369959301658.png
416KB, 640x432px
>>54872903
>paladin
>no shield
>>
File: vinegar tasters.png (502KB, 600x433px) Image search: [Google]
vinegar tasters.png
502KB, 600x433px
>>54872921
Sounds like you want more monk than cleric? In which case i'd suggest monk with Acolyte background. Sure, not that cool, but at least you have character that sort of works.

Or maybe fighty cleric(war domain?) - your unarmed attack will suck, but your educational slap isn't probably considered attack. (Possibly with Tavern Brawler feat, if you REALLY want to beat things with fists.)
>>
>>54873131
>Or maybe fighty cleric(war domain?) - your unarmed attack will suck, but your educational slap isn't probably considered attack. (Possibly with Tavern Brawler feat, if you REALLY want to beat things with fists.)
Checking it out, thanks anon
>>
>>54873010
It's literally an option, anon.
>>
>>54873218
Probably the more common one if anything
>>
>>54872794
I mean, I've never played one because they're so obscure, but from the description in Volo's Guide they seem defined by their people being involved in neverending conflict and tragedy that the other races never see or notice. Maybe a bit like Boromir at the Council of Elrond, having to remind all the pampered elves and hobbits that by the blood of his people are their lands kept safe.
>>
>>54872786
Elven.
>>
>>54873347
The boromir example is pretty good, I'm not sure whether to portray the race as noble crusaders against evil who fight and die to keep others safe, but expect and receive no recognition, or a race of haughty/arrogant guys who think they are better than everyone because of their fight against evil. I have tried to find as much info as possible online, but as you said they are really fucking obscure and the only dnd information I found on them is a couple of pages in the 2nd edition sea of fallen stars supplement, and like one paragraph in some other old book. The more I read about tritons, the more badass I think they are and the more I want to play this character, cant wait till my first session on thursday
>>
File: 1486471484708.png (342KB, 599x689px) Image search: [Google]
1486471484708.png
342KB, 599x689px
I'm in a complete creative block, and I'm supposed to GM our next game. What to do?
>>
>>54873550

The party has to deliver a coffin to a wake, but they're beset on all sides by hungry ghouls, resurrection men looking for a profit, and the deceased's living enemies who would gladly desecrate the corpse as a final insult.
>>
File: thedasmap_wallpaper_1920x1200.jpg (2MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
thedasmap_wallpaper_1920x1200.jpg
2MB, 1920x1200px
>>54873550
Is your group bunch of random adventurers, or do they have any ties with the world you could exploit?
>>
>>54872391

You clearly do not play high magic settings.

I'd say that each person should have a permanent uncommon magical item at that point, and maybe a wondrous item that helps the whole party.
>>
File: 1.png (626KB, 704x532px) Image search: [Google]
1.png
626KB, 704x532px
What could it be?
>>
File: 2.png (915KB, 673x847px) Image search: [Google]
2.png
915KB, 673x847px
>>54873799
Awww yiis!
>>
File: 1490761905827.png (992KB, 661x826px) Image search: [Google]
1490761905827.png
992KB, 661x826px
>>54873817
I'm hyped!
>>
>>54873550

Need more info, what level are your party? What setting?
>>
>>54872391
>Magic items are not built into the system

Without magic items martials are shafted even harder than they already are.

Give your players magic items /5eg/.
>>
I wanna make a warlock that's subtly/not so subtly based on western lone gunman cliches, since the laser is basically a gun.

Pretty much any UA is allowed, so I'm not sure what would be the most fitting patron, any suggestions?
>>
>>54873799
>>54873817
>>54873828

Congratulations, anon. Now you can finally READ THE BOOK.
>>
File: 1494665886798.png (284KB, 1280x738px) Image search: [Google]
1494665886798.png
284KB, 1280x738px
>>54873854
I finally won't have to make stupid questions on /5eg/!
>>
>>54873853
if you're playing warlock and can use UA, you should warlock/paladin multiclass so you can divine and eldritch smite at the same time
>>
>>54873869
cant you just download the books for free though?
>>
How to keep a weapon from being stolen? Do I just tie the hilt in my arm or something?
Is there something similar to the Weapon Bond feature from the EK?
I'm playing a Valor Bard.
>>
>>54873902

yes
>>
>>54873878
No, you should take one level of hexblade to attack with charisma, the go quarterstaff and shield with polearm master and wreck shit. Also you get shield spell for at will 25+ ac
>>
>>54873922
hexblade doesn't exist anymore
>>
>>54873907
Why is this a major concern for you? If you are worried it will get taken while you are sleeping, you could get a chain and padlock and chain it to your belt or something
>>
>>54873937

Yes it does, the rewritten invocations doesn't preclude Hexblade
>>
>>54871521
No, but sometimes I put gems and other pretty things in their eyeballs
>>
>>54873937
Depends on the dm I guess, I see no reason why the updated warlock ua would invalidate the patron, it just replaces the invocations. Or does raven queen patron not exist either?
>>
>>54873944
The DM suggested people might try to grab my new shiny sword.
>>
>>54873621
Good idea, might use it in the game or later on

>>54873666
Probably random adventurers, they never ever try to work together their backgrounds nor ingame. I'm demanding a minimum background, but so far not much to work on.

>>54873832
Level 3 (rogue, warlock, alchemist, psionic and an one to still decide), and was thinking about Tal'Dorei or Made-up setting (for the first one I'd need a good read and maybe I don't have enough time, the second will requiere tons of searching and working on maps and enemies)
>>
>>54873978
Can't grab your sword if you stab them with it first. What would be awesome would be to get a decoy sword, looks awesome but is made of cheap shiny metal. Put a magical tracker on it or something (get a mage to do this). Keep the real sword bundled up and safe, and when someone tries to steal your sword they will have a worthless piece of crap and you can hunt them down
>>
>>54871467
Our party has 3 rogues...
>>
>>54872730
>It's not as good as rogue/wizard desu, and it's the worst rogue subclass.

it has stiff competition, look at mastermind.
>>
>>54874047
Only three rogues, or are there more PCs involved? Same archetype or different? How's working for you? Rogues working in pair so they can sneak attack every turn - now, that's what i call Power of Friendship!
>>
>>54873984

I'd say start with something simple, for example.

A nearby town has been suffering from a lack of resources as the roads to the nearest city are one of the following:

Ridden with bandits

Blocked due to a natural disaster, forcing merchants to travel a more dangerous path

Being intercepted by orcs.

Something like that.
>>
Hello fellow D&D players, my name is Mike and I come from /r/DnD.

I really like this sub and I will comment here more often but I have a few questions first:

Is there a way of upvoting and downvoting?

Why racists comments don't get banned?

Why do you guys promote piracy? Do you want your favourite game producer to go bankrupt?

Pickle Mike out.
>>
>>54873799
>>54873817
>>54873828
No monster manual?
>>
>>54873902
Sure but plenty of people prefer having actual books to flip through, I'm one of those people.

I can't stand reading from a pdf
>>
File: your bait is shit.png (38KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
your bait is shit.png
38KB, 625x626px
>>54874193
really nigga
>>
>bard/artificer multiclassed character wants to invent the keytar for their first wondrous invention
Would you allow this?
>>
>>54874199
Forgot about that! Whoops.
>>
>>54874226
Tough to have a PDF held open to 4 different pages as you consult shit. Of course I tend to find most of them used from acquaintances somehow.

>>54874314
Of course.
>>
why are theurgist wizard and favored soul sorcerer allowed? It seems like such a stupid concept from a design perspective regardless of how good it actually is
>>
>>54874314
Depends on how serious the game/campaign is, but probably.
>>
>>54874415
I agree that theurgist is pretty dumb, but I personally reflavor favored soul to being magically influenced (probably in-utero) by the positive planes. Stuff like being conceived near a church or growing up in hallowed ground, that kind of thing.
>>
>>54871629
Your character comes from a long line of town's guards and becomes an adventurer to escape the village he grew up in and forge his own path in life instead of just following the family tradition.
>>
>>54874461
>>54874415
Favored Soul is sort of a classic by now, sorcs already have a "Where the fuck did this power come from?" problem and gods answer stupid questions like that. Theurgist is retarded.
>>
>>54874415
I really like Favored Soul, because it fills a niche of non-combat priest. Not everyone wants to play heavily armored clerics.
>>
File: flip-flap.jpg (82KB, 500x567px) Image search: [Google]
flip-flap.jpg
82KB, 500x567px
>be saturday
>go to D&D
>other DMs I know call me over
>they give me the season 7 primer for AL
>tell me to read
>do so
>half of the first page has me giving a wtf look
>all 3 of us came to the same conclusion by what the wording is saying, that we have to buy the fucking tomb of annihilation book if we want to run season 7 AL cause the shit somehow runs together.

Oh this is some jewry of the highest degree. Are we wrong on this or did we read it right?
>>
>>54874626

Haven't read the primer, but that does sound like something Wizards would do. Care to cite the offending passage?
>>
>>54872137
post the insides
>>
>>54871665

Glad you're enjoying yourself, anon. Time loops are hard to pull off smoothly.
>>
How would a party of 4 level 4's and some npc hunter fare against a Chimera?

The hunter would probably have something like a +4 to hit with a light crossbow/shortsword and 2d8 hp. Not very tough, but he'd probably just be sitting back and taking crossbow shots while the PC's do the bulk of the combat
>>
>>54874549
the problem with that is there's no real reason for cleric to be heavily armored outside of grandfather mechanics because paladins exist
>>
>>54874877
It depends on how you play the Chimera. If they are all grouped up the Chimera can most likely knock out most of them with it's fire breath considering they are level 4? You can make the monster deadly by having it kill whoever is knocked out or have it be less vicious by having it knock people out and attack whoever is still standing. A monster can be much more difficult or less threatening depending on a DM.
>>
>>54874877
A chimera is a deadly combat encounter for 4 level 4 players. If it's the first encounter of the day, they might be just fine.
>>
This might be a stupid question, but a hexblade has to take the path of blade, right?
>>
>>54874982
No.
>>
>>54872505
>besides gourmand
>>54872505
Why?
>>
>>54874982
No
>>
>>54874972
Yeah it'll be their first combat of the day
>>
>>54874992
>>54875007
How does that make any sense? Wheres the sword I made a pact with, then?
>>
>>54875034
In your book
>>
>>54872505
What class? Bards or druids could grab some shit like goodberry and plant growth and other food related spells. Goodberry could get with magic initiate, if thats your deal.
>>
>>54875034
Do Fiendlocks walk around with Asmodeus?
>>
>>54874733
>but that does sound like something Wizards would do
Wouldn't AL be the ones to make that decision, independently of WOTC?
>>
>>54875071
That's not really the same thing and you know it. Reieving various possible gifts from some crazy demon makes "sense" as far as nonreal magical things go, but a really awesome sword giving someone a familiar?
>>
>>54875111
You have no imagination. Skyrim might be more up to your speed.
>>
>>54873532
Those two kinds of people can be one and the same, depending on your point of view. And of course they're nkt all the same; those are just broad stereotypes. I think you might be stressing more than you need to over this. Just play anyone with that sort of background.
>>
Is an Arcane/Divine Focus consumed by a spell when used in lieu of a material component that would be consumed by that spell?
>>
>>54875699
Unless stated in the spell, material components are not consumed.
>>
>>54875699
A focus is never consumed
>>
>>54875699
If the material component would be consumed, you can't use your spellcasting focus instead.
>>
>>54875699
>>54875803
>A bardic focus can be their instrument
>Fuck, cast a spell now I have to buy a new instrument
>>
>>54875826
That's not how it works. A focus can be used to replace any material components that don't have a gold cost. If it doesn't have a value and is consumed, you can still use a focus in place of it.
>>
>>54875911
Where does it say that?

"But if a cost is indicated for a component, the character must have that specific componenet before he or she can cast a spell. If a spell states that a material component is consumed by the spell, the caster must provide this component for each casting of the spell." PHB page 203. That's all there is. You can't use a spellcasting focus if it were to get consumed, gold price or no.
>>
>>54876040
Did you read the paragraph literally right before that?

"Casting some spells requires particular objects, specified in parentheses in the component entry. A character can use a component pouch or a speIlcasting focus (found in chapter 5) in place of the components specified for a spell. But if a cost is indicated for a component, a character must have that specific component before he or she can cast the spell."

If it has a cost, you can't use a focus. Otherwise you can. The next paragraph does not invalidate this.
>>
so Im in a game of SKT and we've gotten the potions of giant size. My question is does the potion's 3x bonus apply to our party barbarian's giantslayer greataxe's extra giant killing dice, or just to the base weapon amount. Is it 3d12 + 2d6 or 3d12 + 6d6?
>>
File: 1488753620132.png (90KB, 669x592px) Image search: [Google]
1488753620132.png
90KB, 669x592px
2d8s or 3d6s?
>>
File: 1499380736285.gif (218KB, 340x324px) Image search: [Google]
1499380736285.gif
218KB, 340x324px
>>54876254
3d6
>>
>>54876254

>2-16
>3-18

Context may figure into the final choice, but you're generally better off with the 3d6.
>>
>>54876289
>>54876303
Its for a wizard
Thunderwave or Burning Hands

I already have Shocking Grasp as a cantrip, though.
>>
File: read nigga read.jpg (320KB, 500x572px) Image search: [Google]
read nigga read.jpg
320KB, 500x572px
>>54876149
If a material component is consumed by the spell, the caster MUST provide THIS COMPONENT before each casting of the spell."

Not a focus.
>>
File: giphy (1).gif (1MB, 500x225px) Image search: [Google]
giphy (1).gif
1MB, 500x225px
>>54874193
Wow, subtle.
>>
>>54876382
still, 3d6
>>
>>54876385
Jesus fucking Christ, dude...
If a material does not have a gold cost, IT CAN BE REPLACED BY A FOCUS. PERIOD. If it is consumed, you can still use the focus. The second rule is literally just saying that "if a component is consumed, it gets consumed". It's only there to define what it means to consume a component.
>>
>hex"blade" warlock
>Most effective shooting laser beams

what did WOTC mean by this?
>>
>>54876442
This component.

Not a focus as an alternative, that component.

5th question down: http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/sage-advice/rules-spellcasting
>>
>>54876524
Well damn. That really is a vague rule then.
Still gonna house rule that out, because that's fucking stupid.
>>
>>54876543
So you want to be able to cast shit that consumes things for free? Im not sure what you are trying to say in your argument
>>
>>54876448
Same deal as the Bladesinger. They take a class with strong magic and give it a bonus to melee. Now it's decent in melee, but it's still got strong magic. Not only that, because they gave the bonuses in a way that was less direct than an actual melee class, they're now better at magic as well.

These subclasses are also frontloaded, because they want players who want to use their caster in melee to be able to do it immediately; it's core to the character concept. That means that they get their big bonuses at a level when a caster subclass would be getting more minor bonuses.

It's tricky to do as a subclass, and that's the only tool they have. Unless they're going to go Pathfinder and say something like "this subclass gets fewer spells per interval", they can only create by adding more stuff. Another form of power creep.
>>
>>54876586
I'm saying that all components without a gold cost should be replaceable by a focus whether they are consumed or not. If they don't cost anything in the first place, what's the difference?
>>
>>54876586
I think he wants to be able to burn spellcasting foci instead of consumed components that don't have a gold price, which is...expensive.
>>
There's no spell with a material component without a cost associated that is consumed in the cast.
/5eg/: autists fighting about a situation that will never come up
>>
>>54876689
Protection from Evil and Good does

Components: V, S, M (holy water or powdered silver
and iron, which the spell consumes)
>>
>>54876382
Thunderwave. You do a tiny bit less damage for a more reliable damage type, hitting more squares and pushing an enemy away from you. Main drawback is the noise it causes
>>
>>54876689
Snare sort of does, but you can just look up the prices on rope
>>
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/HJepEH0wb
rate my shitty homebrew wizard archetype
>>
File: Nilobg-5e.jpg (197KB, 1200x1650px) Image search: [Google]
Nilobg-5e.jpg
197KB, 1200x1650px
So the Nilbog is supposed to be the fragment of a dead trickster god according to Volo's. But is it ever hinted at what actual god from earlier editions that he's meant to be based on?
>>
>>54871467
i get to choose 3 extra languages /5eg/! what should i pick!
i want ancient spooky languages that are in ancient ruins and stuff
>>
I'm going to be running LMoP to a group of newbies, and wanted to have the first map to show them. I have the image of Cragmaw Castle, but how big should I print it? Would splitting it in two pages be enough?
>>
D&D Beyond launches tomorrow. Who's gonna buy a bunch of shit and share them with people because of the total lack of DRM due to being HTML-based?
>>
>>54876826

Is Mask still alive in 5e?
>>
>>54876997
>D&D Beyond
whats that
>>
>>54876942
If you want spooky, you can't go wrong with Deep Speech (aberrations), Abyssal (Demons), or Infernal (Devils). Primordial is also a good call because it technically gets you four—Aquan, Ignan, Terran, and Auran. But you won't find them on many ruins.
>>
What Arcane Shoz options for the Arcane Archer are good? I'm unsure about what to take.

I'm thinking about taking Grasping Arrow and Bursting Arrow first first, because both can be procced without the need of a saving throw. Though Piercing Arrow could be swapped for Bursting Arrow.

Seeking Arrow is very cool, but I guess you won't need it that early, so I will take it at either 7 or 10. Same for banishing arrow.
>>
>>54877038
Online subscription service so that you can pay for your books again in exchange for being able to search stuff.
>>
>>54877038

It's an online database for accessing information and character options for 5e. They had something similar for 4e, but I think they closed that down in order to push support towards the next edition.
>>
>>54876942
>Dorf
>Elf
>Draconic

Dorf is pretty much mandatory if you like reading ancient shit in dungeons. Elves also love buidling ancient ruins. Draconic could be swapped for Celestial, Abyssal, or maybe Sylvan, depending on the campaign.

You might consider talking to your DM just to get an idea of which languages would be useful. Sylvan is probably gonna be pretty useless if the whole campaign is about fighting a dragon cult, exploring kobold mines, ancient dragon tombs, etc.
>>
File: lisa_s_sphinx_by_gorrem-d79l4yv.jpg (255KB, 629x920px) Image search: [Google]
lisa_s_sphinx_by_gorrem-d79l4yv.jpg
255KB, 629x920px
>>54877069
>>54877141
>Dorf
>Elf
>Draconic
thnx anons, good advice all around.
have a sphinx
>>
>>54877236
>image
>>>/pfg/
>>
>>54877236

Who is Lisa, and why does she need a sphinx?
>>
File: 1463755425935.gif (913KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1463755425935.gif
913KB, 400x300px
>>54877275
>>
>Short rest no longer identifies magic items
>During a short rest, you can make an arcana check to reveal one property of one item, DC varies based on item rarity
>Identify reveals all non-cursed properties of an item
Thoughts?
What should the DC be? 5 for uncommon, add 5 for each level?
>>
>>54877038
expensive shit that is already here https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html
>>
File: RAI vs RAW.jpg (54KB, 630x693px) Image search: [Google]
RAI vs RAW.jpg
54KB, 630x693px
Can I use Find Familiar to create a microscopic tardigrade familiar (or an extremely small insect such as a mite) that lives deep inside my own ear and takes the Help action on all of its turns to give me advantage on all of my own actions while it remains in safety?
>>
File: ATGM.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
ATGM.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>54877095
>>54877118
>>54877473
>searchable dnd stuff
so like..... are people today not smart enough to hit ctrl+f in their PDF?
i dont understand why anyone would use this otherwise
>>
File: Airship_-_Eberron.jpg (45KB, 400x259px) Image search: [Google]
Airship_-_Eberron.jpg
45KB, 400x259px
>>54877035
Yeah, he came back. I forget how. The Faerun overplot is slightly terrifying.

Hey, is that another excuse to mention that Eberron is the best setting? It might be. Easier to keep track of whether the Traveller is alive or dead, because the answer is always the same. And it's Yes.
>>
>>54877574
That filename is pissing me off.
>>
>>54877574

Presumably, it's for the convenience of having all the updated information in one place, rather than searching multiple, possibly-inaccurate sources. Whether that's worth paying a subscription for is a separate question.
>>
>>54877574
Apparently it indexes all the stuff in one engine, but yeah, I agree with you.

Doesn't help that you have to BUY THE MATERIALS AGAIN on top of the monthly subscription.

Damn, wizards.
>>
I've been out of the game for a bit, aparantly hexblade was ruined by an updated UA?
>>
>>54873010
>using a shield while wearing plate armour
lol
>>
>>54877622
It's an ATGM. Anti-Tank Guided Missile.
>>
DMs, what would you do if your whole party has proficiency in Wisdom saves and a 20 Cha devotion paladin?
>>
>>54877695
Use more Dex and Con saves
>>
>>54877693
Fair, I was thinking Air To Ground Missile.
>>
What paladin oath works best on a ranged character?
>>
>>54878051
Redemption because you can diplomacy with them at a distance. Everyone else wants to smite and smite requires a melee weapon
>>
>>54878051
>paladin
>ranged

You already fucked up.
>>
>>54877695
dont punish them for their strengths
>>
>>54878051
Oath of Play a Ranger
>>
>>54878051
Unless there's some UA one that creates a ranged option, I'm pretty sure every oath will still have the problem of no archery style and no smiting on ranged attacks. Multiclassing is probably the only significant way to get more out of ranged attacks
>>
>>54877461
I'd have short rest automatically identify 'basic' properties of item - like bonus to hit, damage or AC. For sake of easier book-keeping.

For anything else, i'd be willing to set DCs even higher. Probably would go with constant DC 20.

Only way to reveal cursed property is through Arcana check on short rest? Seems bit weird, that spell won't be able to identify that, but trial&error could.
>>
>>54878112
That may work although my DM would allow the smites to work at range.
>>54878114
Ranged smites are likely ok, my DM has allowed dumber shit.
>>54878145
I'm not sure ranger would fit the reason for the possible multiclass (becoming the champion of a god).
>>54878182
This would be for a multiclass, ranged fighter into something else. I'm still not sure I want to multiclass especially since it's more with the character as they are to serve without changing how they do what they do.
>>
>>54878231
I thought curses weren't revealed at all. I'll have to double check the dmg. I meant that arcana reveals all non curse properties
>>
>>54878256
It's sort of demanding fluff wise, but the best way to do a "ranged paladin" is to probably just take a few warlock levels so you have a spammy cantrip based on a stat you already use.
>>
>>54878321
Yeah, I've been between paladin, warlock (celestial with some tweaks to the spells), and cleric for the possible multiclass. Of course if I was able to add close quarters shooter onto already having archery that would be insane.
>>
>>54878285
Yea, you're right, my fault. I was mistaken by infinity engine games.
>>
>>54877672
>hexblade was ruined by an updated UA?
Only people that can't read think this, it's either the same or better
>>
>>54878285
Depends on the item. I know identify on armor of vulnerability reveals the curse, but I don't know if there are others
>>
>>54878604
They updated the Hexblade? Where are the changes? Is the version in the OP tools the new version or the old version?
>>
>>54878682
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/June5UA_RevisedClassOptv1.pdf

They didn't update the hexblade themselves, but this introduces reworked versions of the new incantations that came with the hexblade so they actually work and make sense
>>
>>54878604
>>54878700
The old version does far more damage when multiclassing with paladin, which is the only reason to take it at all.
>>
what are the best 5eg memes
>>
>>54878782
The 8 Int wizard
>>
>>54878782
that druids are ghey
>>
>>54872307

Sounds about right to me. My goals for magic items are to make sure every player has a way to do at least +0 magical damage by level 6, smooth over any issues caused by group composition, and to generate plot hooks. Frequently this means that unless it's a setting where magic is thick on the ground like Eberron not every character will end up with a magical item by that point to begin with since most won't "need" one.
>>
>>54878782
grappling barbarogue
halfling diviner with lucky feat
>>
File: d4syqbv.png (112KB, 229x300px) Image search: [Google]
d4syqbv.png
112KB, 229x300px
>>54878794
>>
>>54878607
As always specific beats general, and if a cursed object says the curse is revealed it can be revealed by arcana checks, but the curses will be the last things revealed by the object
>>
>>54878782
Battlemaster.
>>
>>54872692

Played very smartly it's excellent, but it's a lot easier to mis-handle than Thief or Assassin. All rogue's are extremely DM-dependent, though.
>>
>>54878778
>The old version does far more damage when multiclassing with paladin
Which was retarded and made the paladns own smite pointless in most situations and level ranges. Being slightly less possible damage but available to more builds because you aren't limited to one weapon type for only 4 patreons is way better

It's worth noting that even the revised version keeps the language as "when you hit a creature with your pact weapon" and doesn't talk about Attacks in any way like the paladin smite, meaning it works with SCA cantrips by RAW
>>
>>54878887
>It's worth noting that even the revised version keeps the language as "when you hit a creature with your pact weapon" and doesn't talk about Attacks in any way like the paladin smite, meaning it works with SCA cantrips by RAW
It's not worth noting because paladin smite spells and Divine Smite worked with the SCAG cantrips anyway, by RAW and RAI.
>>
>>54878911
>It's not worth noting because paladin smite spells and Divine Smite worked with the SCAG cantrips anyway, by RAW and RAI.
Proof? divine smite works off a "melee weapon attack" while the cantrips are spells (a distinct action) that in the process of have you do melee damage
>>
>>54871467
Yes. Poorly. We bury our dead party members in urns now.
>>
>>54878928
Christ, /5eg/ gets worse every day.

>As part of the action used to cast this spell, you must make a melee attack with a weapon against one creature within the spell's range, otherwise the spell fails.
You make a melee attack with a weapon... which is a melee weapon attack (phrased the way it is so you can't unarmed strike with it).
>>
>>54878928
>As part of the action used to cast this spell, you must make a melee attack with a weapon against one creature within the spell’s range
>Starting at 2nd level, when you hit a creature with a melee weapon Attack, you can expend one spell slot to deal radiant damage to the target, in addition to the weapon's damage
>>
>>54878928
You make a melee weapon attack as part of some of the SCAG cantrips like Booming Blade and Green-flame Blade.
>>
>>54871629
"Oh boy, do I like killin'"
>>
>>54874813
>>54871665
In a few sessions I'm about to run a time loop in the Fey Wild. Wish me luck
>>
>>54876963

Cragmaw fits pretty comfortable on one page, I think. There's not a lot of specific detail on it.

If you're intending to use it as a tactical map, though, 1x2 pages aren't going to be nearly enough. I'd go 2x3 at the smallest.
>>
>>54872947
What if there's a soul in the blade already when the wielder dies?
>>
>>54878782

eldritch blast warlocks
>>
>>54877526

Probably not, the help action requires the help to physically perform the action that provides the help.
>>
>>54879084

What if the creature is Helping me by providing emotional comfort in the form of scratching my inner ear canal, reminding me that he is there, believing in me and supporting me, giving me the confidence i need to succeed?
>>
>>54879123

Then the creature needs Bard levels. Mere cheerleading doesn't grant advantage.
>>
>>54879077
ELDRITCH

BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAST
>>
File: delet this todd.png (620KB, 600x634px) Image search: [Google]
delet this todd.png
620KB, 600x634px
>>54879194
>>
>>54879199
nu
>>
Whats the best chain warlock familar?
>>
players have worn down Strahd and will probably force him into his coffin next session

would you let a player pierce Strahd's heart with the Sun Sword to seal the deal or does it HAVE to be a wooden stake?
>>
/5eg/, what is your favorite cleric domain that isn't light, life, or war? And how come?
>>
>>54879277
Depends on if you want him to be able to keep coming back to fuck them up or not. If you want him dead, Sun Sword is fine. But if you want to really stick it to 'em like Strahd would, go stake.
>>
>>54879025
Not sure exactly yet, maybe previous soul is freed because the sword wants a new one?
>>
Help me /5eg/ I'm starting to think that monks are the best class. Great defenses, good AC, murders any mage.
>>
>>54879353
>Great defenses, good AC
These rely solely on high ability scores, making Monks unreliable in general
>>
>>54879353
They are SUPER multi-ability dependent, though. You need Dex, Wis, and Con, and Str if you want any grappling or athletics.
>>
>>54879293

Tempest because i get to fuckin fly around throwing max damage thunder and lightning at fuckers
>>
>>54879353
Issue is mages don't come up that often most of the time
>>
>>54878782
Bugbears with whips
>>
>>54879084
>>54879123
Related advice needed, help me /tg/

>>I can use a disguise kit as an assassin rogue, I should be able to disguise my Goliath as a dwarf and craft a flawless dwarf persona
and
>>Why can't my rat familiar use the Help action to give me adv on Arcana checks
Typically my answer to these things is "justify it and I'll let you do it," just give any reason why it WOULD work but he always just goes back to the basis of RAW.
>>
>>54879424
>I should be able to disguise my Goliath as a dwarf
You can't just make someone several feet shorter with makeup and a costume
>>
>>54879353
Lackluster damage makes them worthless for anything but stun monkeys late game.
>>
>>54879194
>>54879077

Okay /5eg/: what actually is the "function" of warlocks? What is the core principle of their design philosophy that makes them stand out among st their peers? What are they, mechanically, in a sentence?

Barbarians are the ultimate tanks and deal damage just as well as they take it.

Fighters use multiple attacks to be relentless in combat and wear down foes.

Wizards are the kings of utility and can use their wide library of spells to quite literally prepare for anything.

Sorcerers use sorcery points to encourage creative use of a limited number of known spells.

Warlocks _______________?
>>
>>54879462
Warlocks are consistent ranged damage dealers with resourceless utility in the form of invocations and more utility in the form of spell slots.
>>
>>54879451
they are amazing stunmonkeys though
>>
>>54879462

While other casters need a long rest to refuel their upper echelon of resources, Warlocks are mighty short-burst casters that can replenish their stocks with a more convenient rest.

but that just feeds into the meme of the whiny warlock begging their party for another short rest
>>
>>54879451
Lets be honest here, no one has ever had a game go past level 5.
>>
>>54879504
Speak for yourself
>>
>>54879293
Arcana, because i like wizards.
Maybe tempest, if i want to feel especially viking-y.

>>54879353
...well, i agree with 'murders any mage' at least.
>>
>>54875111
If it has magic powers, it can make "sense" in the context of anything being possible
>>
>>54879293
i miss time domain
>>
What magic items would you find in a centaur tribe / camp?
>>
>>54879320
Maybe give it capacity to hold 5 souls, and the user can expend 1 a day/rest. That way you know for sure it will have room for the PC's soul, without giving it too much power.
>>
>>54879276

Pseudodragon, hands down.
>>
>>54879549
Horseshoes of speed/zephyr
>>
>>54879577
You don't get the magic resistance. You use the stats from the PHB.
>>
Take the first letter of your first name and the first letter of your last name and make a magic item based off of those initials.

For example, if your name is Aaron Zuckerberg, you'd create a magic item called the A______ of Z______, such as the Amulet of Zeal, which would be a paladin-exclusive spellcasting focus that provided advantage on Constitution saving throws made to keep concentration on paladin spells.
>>
>>54879617
That's up to the DM, RAW doesn't specify whether you get those or not.
>>
>>54879449
Right? At this point he's got to be doing a bit, I don't think he's actually stupid IRL. Memeing and hoping I'll cave
>>
>>54879634
Everything is up to the DM, but I'm pretty sure there have been rule clarifications on that particular issue
>>
>>54879634
The section about sharing magic resistance is for when pseudodragons decide to become familiars, not for castings of the Find Familiar spell. This was confirmed in Sage Advice.
>>
File: 1309790076122.jpg (17KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1309790076122.jpg
17KB, 300x300px
Can anyone recommend a good module to start a campaign with when playing with people who are new to D&D?
>>
>>54879666
I'll choose not to nerf chain warlocks, tyvm
>>
>>54879680
Lost Mines of Phandelver

>>54879688
It's not a nerf, it's the original RAI. And chain warlocks are not weak by any means, being objectively better than bladelocks.
>>
>>54879666
Nothing in the rules say that the summoned familiar can't willingly be your familiar as well
>>
Guys, how do I make smarter battles?

Tried to use terrain, waiting in ambush and going for the casters, but things get so hectic I often find myself struggling hard to give my players a greater challenge than a dumb juggernaut, or a kiter guy who grinds battles to a halt
>>
>>54879707
I'd argue that it doesn't NEED to, because the Find Familiar spell fails unerringly and the section on sharing magic resistance specifically calls out that the pseudodragon can leave whenever the fuck it wants.

But let's look at it from a different direction: would WOTC have given the warlock 4 options with one of them being that much better than the others? I mean, I know they made some trap options, but "choose whether to have spell resistance all the time against all spells or NOT to have it" is beyond stupid.
It could not possibly be clearer what the RAI is here, and pretending otherwise can only come from having personal investment (via playing a chainlock) or being a powergamer.
>>
>>54879696
Not much is worse than bladelocks, even tomelocks can get familiars though.
>>
File: AmIRetarded.png (354KB, 665x574px) Image search: [Google]
AmIRetarded.png
354KB, 665x574px
>>54879762
>would WOTC have given the warlock 4 options with one of them being that much better than the others?
Anon... Quasits and Imps have the same option, on pages 63 and 69 respectively. Furthermore, all of the chain pact familiar options can also turn invisible at will /except/ for the pseudodragon. None of them are trap options.
>>
>>54879762
This is why I allow any Caster to come into contract with a familiar to any creature tiny with CR up to 1,and those types of familiars that force Role-play can be killed off and not Ressurected without Ressurecting magic, but they all give a perk

Like the crawling claw gives the Hand of Glory propery that any light held by the claw is visible only to its master
>>
>>54879839
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/08/10/do-chain-pact-warlocks-get-the-familiars-magic-resistance/

>>54879818
The expanded familiars are superior to regular options even without magic resistance, and it does give you access to some nifty invocations.
I agree that tomelock is generally more useful, but I think both are very viable at accomplishing what warlocks are supposed to do (reliable+consistent DPS/utility).
>>
>>54879870
I'm familiar with the Sage Advice answer, but you didn't even attempt to respond to what I said. Do you realize that Quasits and Imps also have the variant familiar shared magic resistance trait or not?
>>
>>54879870
Yeah, that touch spell familiar casting is ridiculous in 5E. With invisible it's a hell of an opener. The little sprite poison thing might have some good uses too.
>>
One time I played a Fey Chain warlock with a "phase hummingbird" as my familiar.

It was excellent, and I loved that misty, ephemeral birdie.
>>
File: necromancer_by_sixfrid-d6cs9ur.jpg (129KB, 731x1094px) Image search: [Google]
necromancer_by_sixfrid-d6cs9ur.jpg
129KB, 731x1094px
How do I make an interesting necromage? Necromancer wizard seems like a great subclass, but Undying Warlock seems way more flavorful
>>
>>54879888
I realize that, but they also don't grant it via find familiar, as per the link I just posted. You can stop arguing now, it's literally official.
>>
>>54871467
>Have you ever faced a beholder? how did that go?
Yes. Back when I played 4e, the DM had us go against a Beholder. I recall we were all on narrow staircases during the fight while he was flying around shooting eye beams. The most notable thing about the first was how the DM described his health conditions. At the start of the fight, it was raining. At 50% HP it was raining blood and at 10% HP the rain turned to snow.

The fight seemed pretty standard. He just had more issues navigating the environment. Slippery stairs aren't fun when you can fall to your death.
>>
File: idi amin laughing.gif (3MB, 352x235px) Image search: [Google]
idi amin laughing.gif
3MB, 352x235px
>an entire town full of bards now thinks the party wizard can pretty much move at the speed of light and punch holes in mountains and the barbarian can lift continents
>>
>>54879929
I don't give a fuck about RAI for this. It's an awesome feature that doesn't make Warlocks too powerful. Now can you stop deflecting and answer the question?
>>
>>54879929
Not that guy, but a twitter post is far from official.
>>
Give me motivations for wizards
>>
>>54879943
Literally what question am I deflecting?
>>
>>54879943
If it's not too OP then they're a cripple class that needs their crutches to perform anything but eldritch blasts
>>
>>54879953
Paying off their student loans.
>>
>>54879956
Are you retarded? How does that make any sense at all?

>>54879954
See >>54879888 and >>54879839 you absolute fucking autist
>>
When's 5.5 coming out?
>>
>>54879973
>Well if it doesn't make Warlocks OP and warlocks are fine how about we give it to rogues?
>How about we give it to wizzards?
etc.
>>
>>54879975
After 4.5
>>
>>54879975
under the current release schedule, i estimate it will be released in about sixty years.
>>
So, last session, the one party member happened to run into every trap the encounter had. Literally all 3 traps I had placed in the dungeon, he wandered into. After a long fight were everyone used all their stuff and another player narrowly avoided death, the loot is found and split.

And what do you know, the very same guy picks the one cursed item that was on the enemies.

I really don't want to be seen as picking on the guy. The item is a Hellhound Cloak, and we do have a Demonic Patron Sorlock who just finished his quest to gain Warlock powers. Would it be out of character for his Patron to help out against the curse? Or perhaps just warn the Sorlock?

Trying to not be a dick DM
>>
>>54879952
If it's Crawford's tweets, it's considered official.
Mearls' tweets are "this is how it's RAW"-only. MM's is a variant rule, so it's up to the DM, really.
>>
File: Low Quality Bait.jpg (16KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Low Quality Bait.jpg
16KB, 600x600px
>>54879979
Try harder
>>
>>54879973
The only question you ever asked is
> Do you realize that Quasits and Imps also have the variant familiar shared magic resistance trait or not?
To which I answered
> I realize that
Will you please cease your incomprehensible rage?
>>
>>54879995
>variant rule
Wrong, it's a variant monster not a variant rule.
>>
>>54880032
The difference being?
>>
>>54880041
The difference being that it's not an elective player option
>>
>>54879740
Build for flavor/theme first, and then figure out the strengths of those antagonists, then buff those strengths into the central pillar of the fight.
Wizards: familiars, golems, parts of the room are glowing (traps!).
Dragons: obviously breath weapons, also guard drakes, kobolds. Lots of traps.
Elemental themed: put them somewhere that the enemy thrives but they struggle. Underwater with Merrow, in a fiery caldera with Fire Elementals/Giants/Iron Golems (which heal from fire).
A naga in its noxious air: the fog is thick with poison and give partial obscurement. How will they use magic (no verbal!) or see to fight? You don't know! Let them figure it out!

And as always, if there's a boss or boss-tier battle, Legendary Resistances, Legendary Actions, and Lair Actions.

A fight doesn't necessarily need to be tough to be fun. Typically I find if they figure out how to overcome something new during the battle they walk away happy.
>>
>>54880061
None of the rules are up to the players
>>
>>54879990
If the party was not searching for traps, especially after the first one was triggered, I wouldn't worry about it, its their own fault.
>>
>>54880041
Variant rules by definition make the monster optional. It being a variant monster means that it's as cannon to the D&D-verse as an Ancient Red Dragon or a Owlbear, they just didn't want to take the space reprinting the entire monster's stats for such a minor addition.
>>
>>54880089
And it being a variant option for familiars by definition makes it optional

also >cannon
>>
>>54880076
That's literally the difference between regular and optional rules.
The options in the PHB are available to the players, unless otherwise stated by the DM.
Anything labelled "optional" is not, unless otherwise stated by the DM.
>>
>>54880111
>The options in the PHB are available to the players
Lots of variant rules aren't in the PHB either.
>>
>>54880125
>"Variant rules"
Are automatically not in play unless the DM says otherwise.
>>
>>54880087
The first time he was walking down stairs leading the party and got hit, along with some others, by a falling nailbar, though he got the worst of it. Next he went a head a bit and stepped into the trigger while the rest of the party was letting the warlock ritual cast Unseen Servant to check. The third time he was distracted while talking and bashed open a chest without checking.
>>
>>54880101
It's as optional as zombies, angels, and dwarves.
Also...
>My argument is weak, so I'll correct his spelling to feel better about it.
>>
>>54880132
Ok, so what exactly makes that different than the variant familiars?
>>
>>54880139
>It's as optional as zombies, angels, and dwarves
So we agree that it's an option?

also
>taking a little jab at a misspelling this seriously
>>
>>54879629
Jewel of Sorcery, spell casting focus for sorcs +prof sorc points
>>
>>54880145
They are a monster that's capable of forming a familiar bond with a PC. They are not and never were meant to be summoned by Find Familiar.
Call it what you will - "variant familiar," if you must - but the rules in the matter are clear.
>>
What's a random table you actually finding yourself using, or one that doesn't exist that you could get some use out of?
>>
>>54880162
>but the rules in the matter are clear.
Until you show me a rule that says "summoned familiars cannot also be willing familiars", I'm gonna tell you to fuck of because that's wrong.
>>
>>54880167
>>54880172
Uh, so, here's an idea if you're talking from the DM's perspective.

Why not let the Chainlock go on a quest from his Patron to upgrade his Familiar from the Find Familiar version to the Optional Monster Manual version?
>>
>>54880134
Sounds like it was his fault.
>>
>>54880172
It's not about "willing."
It's about familiars meeting the character and deciding to bond vs. the character casting Find Familiar.

>>54880178
That's a cool idea, though - it's basically like a quest for a powerful magical item.
>>
>>54880178
That sounds like a great solution. I'll probably do that if I ever have a chainlock in one of my games.
>>
What happened to the mega trove?
>>
>>54879515
I ain't speakin' for myself mate survey showed 95%
of games don't go past 5th level.
>>
>>54874193
>>
>>54880237
Source? I don't believe you.
>>
Has anyone played a character whose backstory is that he or she had amnesia (so pretty much no backstory)? How did it go?
>>
>>54880346
no, but sounds like a good way to introduce backstory later if you dont want to come up with it on the spot
>>
>>54880375
I'm thinking of doing something like this.

Is there a way to find out how old you are if you have amnesia? I'm thinking of going with an Elf, so it would make a great difference if he was 40 or 400 years old.
>>
>>54880464
cut him in half and count the rings
>>
>>54880464
Maybe that's a plot twist. He thinks he's like 40 but it turns out he's over 500 and he has a massive backstory and family he's forgotten.
>>
>>54880496
Yeah, I was thinking that he just someday woke up and doesn't remember anything, except for some parts of a magical scroll he once read, even though he doesn't know the context.

He is chased by other Elves that want to kill him, why he doesn't know. So he is escaping, trying to conceal himself while trying to remember his past. Kinda cliche, but I think it works.
>>
Ok I am completely new to 5e I only played 3.5 and a tiny but of 4. What is the deal with clerics. They have domains, do they keep the spells a normal cleric gets? The domains don't count toward there per rest spell slots, but how many times can they use those spells?
>>
>>54881075
So domain spells are basically "bonus spells" that don't count against the spells you can prepare (cleric level + wis mod). They are always prepared, and you can always cast them if you have a spell slot that can use them.

Any other cleric spell you can swap out for any other cleric spell (again, that you have slots for) on a long rest. But domain spells are always with you.
>>
>>54881114
So do they act as can trips? If so that's really powerful
>>
>>54881182
No, you cast them like normal. You just always have them prepared
>>
Are there any Mystic's discipline power that can be use to detect magic? Would truesight work?
>>
File: Paladin.jpg (392KB, 2535x1584px) Image search: [Google]
Paladin.jpg
392KB, 2535x1584px
>>54881075
To cast a spell, you must:
Have the spell prepared.
Spend spell slot.

Casting Domain spell cost spell slot of appropriate level as usual. (Thus, they DO "count toward there per rest spell slots".)

Domain spells are cool because you have them always prepared. You can prepare number of spells equal to your WIS modifier + your cleric level. Domain spells are in addition to it.

Note: Preparing spell doesn't work as it used to in earlier editions. Spell slots and whether the spell is prepared is different.
>>
>>54881210
Ok so they are just always with you and you can prepare other spells but they cost a spell slots like normal. Interesting. What domain type would you recommend?
>>
>>54881210
Which raises the question of why they're still called "slots"...
I know, I know, sacred cows.
>>
>>54881182
No no no they're cast as any other spell, using a spell slot. You just have them prepped no matter what.
>>
Are there any maps of Faerun or the Savage Frontier that only show main roads and settlements? I want to give my players an actual map to look at but I can't give them the one that comes with SKT because it shows the location of everything, even things that they shouldn't know just from a map
>>
>>54871629
THOSE FUCKERS STOLE YOUR SHIT!
>>
>>54881232
>they are just always with you and you can prepare other spells but they cost a spell slots like normal
That is correct.
>What domain type would you recommend?
That depends, what type of cleric are you going for? Do you want to be a healbot, a holy warrior, a blaster-caster, or twist magic around, or something else?
>>
>>54881232
Cleric can be build in so many way, you need to be more specific with what you have in mind.
>>
>>54881232
All the Domains are pretty good in 5e.

Life and Trickery are worth mentioning as they're both more Spell based, with not as good special features. Life really should have been given some Martial Weapons (Like the Warhammer, Morning Star or Maul) or Enhanced Cantrips instead of it's odd Simple Weapons + Divine Strike set. Trickery has some great spells, but it's abilities you get are pretty situational.

The others get some okay spells, but it's their abilities that are the real reason you'd take them. War and Tempest make for some great Gishing. Light is Blasty. Arcana has some great utility and can almost replace a Wizard. Knowledge is a skill monkey.
>>
>>54881232
Domain spells are like spontaneous casting in 3e.

If you want to cast same spell multiple times, you don't need to prepare it multiple times - just once. Slots are resource. Your Mana, if you will.

>>54881232
My favourite domains are Tempest or Arcana (from Sword Coast Adventurer Guide). Depends whether i want to play fighty or casty cleric.

>>54881238
Good question.
Do you have any better idea on how to do it, while keeping the same feel of the game? I am really curious.
I admit, if they just renames slots to "Energy shards" or something, i would be OK with that, but i actually think the mechanic itself have its merit.
>>
>>54881284
>>54881335
>>54881341

Looking into tempest seems pretty cool. I like the idea of just blasting shit with lighting. Thanks for clearing things up for me anons
>>
>>54881373
We're always happy to help a 3.PF player graduate.

>>54881360
I have nothing against the mechanics (well, I personally don't enjoy it but that doesn't make it bad). I just think the name no longer makes sense and is only still around because of momentum.
>>
>>54881360
Arcana can be a fighty cleric too, you just have to get Shillelagh via feat.
>>
>>54871629
>>
>>54881373
Tempest clerics are sweet, and they get full heavy armor proficiency and martial weapons, which is always nice.
>>
>>54881417
I don't like the idea of everyone who wants to be a gish fighting with a quarterstaff.
Would it be a huge deal to refluff or even restat shillelagh as a different kind of weapon? Same damage die, of course.
>>
>>54871467
i need fun side quests/adventures for desert terrain /5eg/, where can i find some ideas?
>>
>>54881458
I refluff my quarterstaff as gauntlet (and shield as another gauntlet)
>>
>>54879988
>>54879984
I just want a printing with full erata and class revisions (like the ranger).
>>
proper amount of strarting gold for lvl 3?
>>
File: 1480123163083.jpg (47KB, 789x433px) Image search: [Google]
1480123163083.jpg
47KB, 789x433px
>>54881245
Pls respod
>>
>>54881681
DMG, p.38 "Starting Equipment" table
for levels 1-4 "Normal starting equipment" is listed.
>>
Hello anons, I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but I'm going to run an encounter in a crowded marketplace, using a battlemap in roll20.

Question is, how would you represent a crowd of people that you can easily move around and wouldn't get in the way?
>>
>>54881718
best i have is this and i don't really like it
>>
>>54881555
Here's an idea: the well/oasis in a town they've come to like and be attached to has run dry, and the people turn to the party for help. Turns out the friendly marid that was keeping the water flowing has been mortally wounded. Though stable, it cannot make more water and some part of its magical power (elemental arcane focus, perhaps?) has been taken by the assailants.

So now they gotta go get it back. Turns out it's a nearby group of elite bandits, and you have all the fun of a desert cave/canyon system that's suddenly full of water, and all the difficult spelunking that's required.

Just an idea for a mini-story arc.
>>
>>54881820
Thanks, this is better than what I had nothing
>>
Assuming a game with no feats, would a barbarian be better off dual-wielding? A large portion of their damage is flat modifiers, and it's not like they need their bonus actions for much else.
>>
>>54882723
It's great before 5th level
>>
>>54882723
At level 5:
>GW 4d6+8+4 (26)
>DW 3d6+8+6 (24)
At level 9:
>GW 4d6+10+6 (30)
>DW 3d6+10+9 (29)
At level 16:
>GW 4d6+10+8 (32)
>DW 3d6+10+12 (33)

So not really, up until late levels. Unless I'm forgetting something. If you get the fighting style by dipping into fighter, it gets slightly better.
>>
>>54882723
You could dual wield before reaching 5th level then you could swap to GW or keep dual wielding if find it cool, as the difference in damage is pretty small.

Also, it's useful to note that the TWF damage is spread between 3 attacks while GW is spread between only two, so the chance of you "wasting" damage is smaller if you're dual wielding.
>>
>>54872434
A piece of armour that grants a +1 to AC as long as the user is constantly reciting a litany to their deity of choice. Concentration rules apply, and obviously the effect ceases if the paladin is rendered unable to speak for any reason.
>>
File: confusedog.jpg (28KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
confusedog.jpg
28KB, 500x375px
Someone help me understand why Medicine is a WIS check by default rather than INT.
>>
Alright 5eg. You're building a campaign. 1-20. You have a group you know will play it start to finish, they even take all your plot hooks so what planning you do always sees the light of day. You enjoy DMing for them, and it's going to be perfect.

But you're a lazy shit and you're going to use modules the whole way and just adjust the names and places so they build a coherent story.

What modules do you use?
>>
File: aqua dance.gif (235KB, 240x320px) Image search: [Google]
aqua dance.gif
235KB, 240x320px
>>54883152
I don't need to use modules--I already have a ton of ideas for a 1-20 (well, 3-20) campaign I'm running right now with a party that will go after literally everything I throw at them as I build it around their characters and what they do.
>>
>>54883132

So that it would be the purview of divine casters like Clerics and Druids, which are often at least partly associated with healing in D&D.
>>
Thoughts: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?375670-New-Paladin-subclass-Oath-of-Seeking-(rogueadin)

It looks to be solidly between just ok and a bit too good.
>>
Are there any hex maps for The Savage Frontier? I'd like to know accurate distances instead of having to guess based on the scale in the corner
>>
>>54883029
Also higher chance of crits if dual-wielding
>>
>>54883152
That's pretty much what I'm doing with Tyranny of Dragons. People give HotDQ a lot of shit, but it's still salvageable and RoT is a pretty good adventure with an epic final confrontation. Then you just create a few more chapters so that the party covers more levels or do what I'm thinking of doing and after the final chapter the party gets a chance to go into the Nine Hells and destroy Tiamat once and for all.
>>
>>54883195
People with access to healing magic probably have the least use of the actual Medicine skill, though. Still, I see where you're coming from.

Best thing about being DM is I can just say "fuck it, that doesn't make sense to me."
>>
>>54883132
Medicine in most D&D settings is all about folk remedies and figuring out how things happened and how to fix them rather than memorizing lots of facts and research that you find in other Int skills (like religion, arcana, and nature).
>>
>>54883249
Good point - it would be good for a crit-fishing build. Like a half-orc barbarian or something. (I have no idea how to do a crit-fishing build)
>>
>>54883333
Dip into Rogue or Battlemaster or Paladin for super crits.
>>
>>54883309
>folk remedies
Still knowledge, not perception or intuition.
>figuring out how things happened
Sounds like an application of intelligence.
>and how to fix them
Definitely intelligence.

I know the temptation is to view Wisdom as a sort of less formal, more earthy and spiritual intelligence, but the stats as written are pretty clear. Wisdom is perception, insight and intuition, intelligence is knowledge, reasoning and calculation. Diagnosing an injury or sickness, choosing the correct course of action to treat it or knowing the cure from prior experience all make far more sense as Int checks to me. Noticing that a person is sick or injured without prompting or spotting an obscure or subtle symptom I would definitely class as a Wis (Medicine) check, but otherwise no.

Thanks for trying, though.
>>
>>54883417
According to the PHB, that's sadly the answer: it's related to observing and perceiving the effects of the world around you, not understanding it. You know that this particular leaf, when put into a tea, kills; you don't know why, it just does because you saw it happen. Intelligence, by comparison, is knowing that the leaf is Death's Lotus which contains a powerful extract that, upon consumption, begins eroding the victim's heart and blah blah blah.
>>
>>54883536
That makes no sense. Practical knowledge is still knowledge. I don't need to understand how various pills work to know which one to take for headaches/bleeding/upset stomach/whatever. Doesn't mean I'm being intuitive or that I didn't need to learn all that.
>>
>>54883563
Pills are a poor example for a medicine check; instead, it would be with the ranks of incision, wound wrapping, or binding, which requires enough intuition to administer it properly, specifically for the patient. Or so D&D reasons, though you run into the same stuff with Strength vs Constitution.
>>
>>54883563
crystallized memory vs fluid memory
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v2_JDz2Di0
>>
>>54883536
You seem to be implying that Wisdom includes all knowledge that you've gained from observing the world yourself as opposed to through research or study. There's nothing in the rules to support that interpretation.

Knowledge is Intelligence, full stop.
>>
>>54883688
Your point? Or are you just shilling
>>
File: ZrttP02.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
ZrttP02.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Rate my map
>>
>>54883713
I like the mixed terrain.
>>
File: Int vs Wis.png (263KB, 331x332px) Image search: [Google]
Int vs Wis.png
263KB, 331x332px
>>54883698
I did not imply that at all. In fact, I identified that wisdom is a flawed understanding compared to intelligence since it doesn't answer the how, just states the effects. Also, pic related.
>>
>>54883775
It makes me wonder is Wisdom is tied to medicine so that classes that benefit from Wisdom but not Intelligence specifically get a bonus. Clerics probably shouldn't know much about medicine, but wizards really should. They're the nerds of the fantasy cosmology.
>>
>>54883713
What's going in there?
Thread posts: 379
Thread images: 45

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.