[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Adventurers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: 6 - 8.jpg (379KB, 777x1143px) Image search: [Google]
6 - 8.jpg
379KB, 777x1143px
What is an adventurer? Why are they so different from normal people?
>>
>>54861792
They can gain experience points.
>>
>>54861792
A miserable little pile of murder and hobo.
>>
>>54861792
Basically mercenaries with a little bit of PR
>>
>>54861792
someone who continues to try and adventure even after the first time something comes horrifically close to killing them
>>
They didn't take an arrow in the knee yet.
>>
Someone with a sword and nothing to lose.
>>
>>54861792
They are willing to suffer great risks for possibly greater glory/riches/power.

They are as the original greek definition of "hero", someone extraordinary in some way, not intrinsically good, trying to make their own destiny with varying levels of sucess.

They tame the unknown, carve kingdoms out of nothing, but desestabilize the civilization that settles.
>>
In a world where every other week a new monster might appear to threaten your town, or an ancient tomb filled with world-ending magical artifacts will be uncovered, or an evil wizard will start building a skeleton army; there becomes a demand for brave and capable individuals with a wide array of skills who can keep the terrors of the world at bay. Though necessary, these sorts are rarely liked, doomed to be outcasts wherever they go. After all, how twisted would a person have to be to become a perpetual wanderer who risks death on a daily basis and kills indiscriminately so long as the pay is good?
>>
>Force-fed every bit of external stimuli verbally via DM

The resulting madness makes them what they are
>>
>>54861836
This is in fact historically accurate!
Well, mostly, they were also the non-doctor types who made up expeditions. You can actually look up old explorer's society logs and find the names of people on various expeditions, many of them with the occupation "Adventurer".
>>
>>54862627
>arson
>grand arson
>intent to commit arson
>aggravated arson
I mean, it's not wrong.
>>
>>54861792

Adventurers are the people without the roots to hold them in place, and with enough mad ambition to try to do the impossible.

In a world of stratified classes, of isolated villages and sons inheriting their father's profession, they're the people who defy those norms. They don't want to make a decent living and fit in with normal folk, or for some reason they simply can't. What they're doing is crazy, dangerous and stupid, and either they know so or they're too far gone to notice or care. They put their lives on the line, and most of them probably die before anyone knows their name.

They're the people who don't fit into the world, but you couldn't live without.
>>
>>54861792
Generally savage monsters that can barely function within society.

Some time's they drag a few poor saps out into the wilds, with promises of riches. Usually only bodies come back, if they're lucky.
>>
>>54861836
>>54864325
See, I never understood the connection between real life mercenaries and adventurers other than they fight for money. Weren't real life soldiers for hire primarily involved in wars or conflicts between nations or rebel factions? I don't see the link between basically being part of a private army and rummaging through dungeons, slaying monsters, and finding treasure like you do in RPGs.
>>
They hatched from eggs.
>>
>>54861792
Lewis and Clark, Daniel Boone.
>>
>>54866781
Well, real life didn't have many dungeons, monsters, or treasures (at least not in the scale TTRPGs do), so I suppose they made do.

I liken them to privateers. Mercenaries associated a group, side, or a cause, but mostly in it for fame, treasure, or more personal reasons.
>>
>>54861792
>Why are they so different from normal people?
the wanderlust gene
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.