[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My DM doesn't get it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: Clickbait 1.png (274KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Clickbait 1.png
274KB, 800x600px
Like I said, my DM doesn't get it.
He is a very creative guy, and puts a lot of time and energy into the universe, even making a wiki for the world with characters, events, historical events, factions, you name it.
But it's just not interesting.
Everything is EPIC, it's always an incredibly strong barbarian king we come across, or a demon from hell that we're fighting, the fate of the world rests on our shoulders, but there's no investment.
One reason for this is that the DM has instituted a Karma system in the world where if we've done something bad in a previous round, it will come back to haunt us. Now this does something which I find really hurts the player's experience, it makes them feel like nothing they do matters.

Example: So we came across a Barbarian Horde blocking the path of this band of Paladins we were traveling with, and we were tasked with making a peace offering to the barbarians so that there wouldn't be any trouble, but as soon as we get there, the barbarian king imprisons us, then asks us to slay a dragon for him since it wiped out his people's ancestral homeland. So there's a night of drinking and revelry, then the next morning we set out with his son to slay the dragon. Now, our party members are planning on killing this guy and high-tailing it out of there, and we try to do just that, but just as we shoot the first arrows to kill the barbarian king's son it is revealed that the entire barbarian horde had been stealthily following us, to see what we would do, as a test of loyalty.

Idk if this is the truth, but it feels like the DM just changed reality to fuck us up, how could we not notice a horde of barbarians following us? Anyways, rant over, I'm just pissed that our DM doesn't know how to make the game feel real.
>>
>>54860220
And why the fuck would they even put us through such a stupid test of loyalty in the first place? They're barbarians, they don't care about wizards and city folk.
>>
>>54860220
This all boils down to either "is his game good?" or "do you feel too obviously cheated?"
Since even one of these would set off the alarm bells, having both seems to be a big issue. Have you talked to other people playing to make sure you aren't the only one who feels this way? You probably don't want to look like a little bitch.
>>
>>54860220
He's railroading you and isn't talented enough to keep you from noticing. He spent the time and effort to craft a setting and write a story and now feels entitled to force you to play out his story regardless of what you want.

That said, if you have a problem with it, talk to him or find a new GM. If everyone but the GM has a problem with it, talk to him or find a new GM. If nobody but you has a problem with it, find a new group.
>>
>>54860220
How does providing consequences for your actions make you feel like nothing you do matters?
>>
>>54860724
>How does providing consequences for your actions make you feel like nothing you do matters?

Not OP, but

>we were tasked with making a peace offering to the barbarians so that there wouldn't be any trouble, but as soon as we get there, the barbarian king imprisons us, then asks us to slay a dragon for him since it wiped out his people's ancestral homeland

Please defend this as not railroading the players into a subquest.
>>
>>54860724
Hard to describe. It's more what the consequences are that bothers me. If we had encountered the barbarian horde and they had said fuck off and chucked spears at us, it would have felt real, or if they had threatened us, or held us hostage, it would have felt real. But it felt like the DM had in his mind an idea of a cool story and was funneling us towards his desired outcome. Kind of like this:
>>54860722
He's certainly not a good enough story-teller to keep me from caring that we're being rail roaded.

>>54860686
It's fun, but it's almost a social obligation thing, we're in a group chat together which is always buzzing, but the dynamic is not authentic. I would talk to another friend about it, but the DM is too prideful to make any changes.
>>
>>54860798
>I would talk to another friend about it, but the DM is too prideful to make any changes.
Then leave and explain why.

>social obligation
You aren't obligated to do shit, and you don't owe anyone anything. If leaving a game that does not entertain you is enough to ruin a friendship, the person isn't much of a friend.
>>
>>54860220
if only there were some way to communicate these feelings to the DM
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.