[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

GURPS General /gurpsgen/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 327
Thread images: 32

File: IMG_2056.jpg (68KB, 500x662px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2056.jpg
68KB, 500x662px
Can't upload PDFs from iPhone edition.

Let's talk about the greatest role playing game of all time.

With Starfinder just out, how do you do space combat in your games?
>>
MEGA Archive
https://mega.nz/#F!yxFxlD4I!CGTYsnTE_8XAmcJxdMehAQ

If someone can upload the full PDF, please do, otherwise I'll do it when I get home.
>>
>>54855007
>Can't upload PDFs from iPhone
Mother of God, how do you function?
>>
>>54855084
I've never had an issue with it until now - i usually use Dropbox...
>>
File: GURPS OP1.pdf (236KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
GURPS OP1.pdf
236KB, 1x1px
>>54855184
>Phone is modern enough to use dropbox
>Isn't functional enough to upload pdf
Are you using winphone?
>>
File: 1465499951771.jpg (81KB, 736x800px) Image search: [Google]
1465499951771.jpg
81KB, 736x800px
Repostan for the new general
Grimwyrd!
Some kind of session!

>party is in the dorf vault, Bomrek and Suthri now bonded with elemental crystal
>Syviis and Gray can see they are now 110% dorf
>they discover the last remains of a final paladin of the old empire, seal him away with his dying crystal, and head upstairs
>the spirits are restless and something evil this way comes
>they plunge through the crumbling keep, a dirgesong in the air, coming from the evil of the place
>they round the hall, find the great evil thing, an altar to a dark god
>within a ring of blue flame, the avatar of a six armed prince of darkness and fury
>below him, a priestess: red horned and satyr legged, shes intoning his name in a dolorous tone
>ROD RECOGNIZES HER!
>Holy shit the Fae that sent him on his quest!
>You!
>YOU
>Gray the beastman steps forward, readying the shield and looking to the woman with a low snarl. "This won't be permitted!"
>The woman: "Permitted? You fool, HE is the one who permits you to live!" She raises her hands above her head "HE is mightier than even the Lords of the FAE!"
>Suthri plants one in the effigy's skull
>IT AWAKES

>kmnock fdown brawl occurs
>Syviis disables the priestess
>suthri and bomrek shoot the statue
>rod defends the back line
>GRAY CHARGES
>IT SMASHES HIM
>THEY FIRE THE CANNON!
>GRAY HITS HIM WITH HIS OGRE BLADE
>GREEN FIRE
>SCREAMING
ROD INVOKES THE FAE AND A WHIRLWIND THROWS HIM INTO PLACE TO LAND A DECAPITATING BLOW ON THE SATYR WOMAN!

>the effigy is defeated
>the demon released
>Gray goes about hewing the evil sign from the earth

The party now should do a bit of an audit, and I should get some new character sheets from them, cuz man there have been some weird abilities that need writing out...
>>
>>54857453
Sounds like a fun session! Always good to have someone enthusiastic in these generals
>>
>>54855007
I just use the GURPS starships rules TBQH SENPAI
>>
>>54857453
So was she always on the side of the dark here or did she flip sides from fae to dark? Or was that thing some kind of fae?

Next week: We Will Roc you.
>>
I know GURPS is a toolbox and all rules are optional, but what supplements would you recommend for interesting fantasy combat. I'm thinking Basic Set + Martial arts is all that's needed, but sell me on anything else.
>>
>>54861626
Powers, one of the Magic systems are also pretty good to add.
>>
>>54861626
The abilities in Power-Ups 1: Imbuements fit in with a lot of fantasy settings.
>>
>>54861626
Depends on how FANTASY you want to get. Power-Ups 1: Imbuements is a great way to do magical knights/mystic archers/extreme Kung-Fu. Fantasy itself is a good read for setting-building. Powers holds a few new advantages and modifiers that you may need when creating weird magical effects or terrifying monsters. Low-Tech is good if you want to get autistic with gear, and Low-Tech Companion 2 has a chapter dedicated to weapon modification and resizing (colossal greatswords are go).
>>
>>54861875
For the setting, think Eberron crossed with WoW. Those are some good suggestions, thanks. I think I'll grab Powers at least.
>>
What's the best spell for magical power?

I think the heat spell is the best I'm able to find, any others?
>>
>>54862603
Depends on the magic system you're using. In Magic, it is a tie between Create Food and Create Water.
>>
For RPM would it be ok for me to allow a super value ER?

How high would you have it cost 300%, 400%?
>>
>>54862603
>>54863404
Eh, Create Fuel and Essential Fuel in GURPS Magic are likely your best bet.

5 EP creates a pound of coal. That's 3 thermal kilowatt/hours per 5 energy.

Then Essential Fuel enhances fuel by a factor of ten for 1 EP per pound.

So if you have a supply of coal you can turn 1 EP into 27 kilowatt hours of thermal energy, or if you need to start from rocks/dirt you get 6 FP per 30.

The Heat spell can't come close to 97.2 megajoules per EP, or the 18 you get if you need to use Create Fuel.
>>
What kind of advantages and disadvantages does an FBI agent need? I assume Duty, some sort of rank and status, and 5 point legal immunity?
>>
>>54862603
>>54863921
Directly powering things with Lend Power is best reserved for emergencies, as you get 0.1 kilowatt hour per EP unless the GM has moved the conversion ratio.
>>
>>54863972
Legal Enforcement Powers. They don't need Legal Immunity, they play by the same rules as everyone else.
>>
>>54863972
Patron, Contacts, and Rank depending on how far up the hierarchy you are. I don't think legal immunity is necessary since you are still subject to the law.

Any beat cops hassling you should be sufficiently cowed by your Rank.
>>
>>54863921
Create fuel and essential fuel are really scary

For example, what if you are TL 12^. You just create antimatter that burns 10 times as much

That's scary
>>
>>54864027
At TL 7 you can use it to make uranium. I'm not sure if it's supposed to be low or high enriched fuel.

I'd note that it doesn't effect how much it works for anything but powering machines, and it doesn't make it 10x as HOT, it makes it work 10x as LONG, something that keeps it from being quite terrifying. A 2mg fullerene antimatter matrix won't have 10x yield if you crack it as an explosive.
>>
>>54864087
Yea but think about this

Antimatter is 100% conversion, enriched antimatter is 1000% conversion.

1 gram of antimatter would give 898,775,179 MJ's of power

That's scary
>>
>>54864130
Technically antimatter is 200%. One antiparticle + one freely available conventional particle provides energy equal to their mass times the speed of light squared.

Turning 1 EP into energy enough to power modern Earth for a year would be a neat trick though. (10x energy for a POUND of antimatter is.. a lot of energy).
>>
>>54864180
Screw it

Next no limits game I'm playing a TL 12^ mage

And we aren't even talking about how scary being able to just transmute stuff into animatter is(see micro antimatter warheads in UT 157, please note that these are in micrograms)

Heck if you have it at 15+ it's free
>>
>>54864228
Converting antimatter without a proper container is a violation of your rental agreement. You will be resurrected in order for someone to arrest you for the irresponsible use of magic.
>>
>>54864248
Please note that the spell is regular, which makes it able to transmute things at range.

Which means you can do it in a proper container.

Or make your opponents weapon into antimatter, which is the best party trick
>>
What Complexity is a modern smartphone?
>>
>>54864353
Pick a smartphone model.
Find the cost it sells for.
Compare to inventing section to find out for yourself.
>>
>>54864353
>>54864388

Per page 472 a 2004 desktop computer is Complexity 2 to 3. A typical 2004 computer was a single core 2 gigahertz processor, roughly comparable (funny enough) to a lower end smart phone in 2017, though in truth the quad core SOC chips are more capable.
>>
>>54864388
I mean Complexity as in the computer stats from High-Tech, not for inventions. I'm asking because the fastest one you can get RAW at TL8 is Complexity 2, but that would mean that it can't run any programs that grant a skill bonus, which doesn't seem right.
>>
>>54864532
That's because we're closer to TL9 than 8 at this point. Just use TL9 rules for consumer electronics.
>>
>>54864555
Not until I get my gyrojet pistol
>>
Would you guys recommend a module/adventure to run as a newbie DM?
>>
>>54864973
I suggest you keep it simple.

GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Adventure 1: Mirror of the Fire Demon is pretty much the best and, er, almost only choice.

Once you've done that however you should have lots of tools to build your own adventures.
>>
File: 1476414440881.jpg (180KB, 650x913px) Image search: [Google]
1476414440881.jpg
180KB, 650x913px
>>54864973
I suggest TL 3 with the players picking between 125 point characters then customizing them with another 25 points. This lets them have 'their' character, but keeps them from having to go though everything. It also means even if they pick something stupid with their points the Hunter, Knight, Woosdman or Witch is still going to know their shit and be effective int he adventure.

Then give them a simple adventure, maybe rescuing a kidnapped person from a gang of bandits occupying an abandoned monsitary.
>>
Is there some kind of recommended skill thing? I don't know what skills would be considered essential for campaigns in different time periods.
>>
>>54867160
Housekeeping=Adulting.
Don't forget Driving skills if your TL6 or above, and Survival for lower TLs.
>>
>>54867160
There's a Skill Categories PDF from SJGames, and there is also a tech level guide on B512, which should help you figure out what skills are needed when.
>>
So did the Dungeon Fantasy kickstarter ever ship? I'm asking because before I couldn't swing the $50+shipping but I am in a position where I could if people can still jump in on it. Or can I expect to see physical copies of the base box in my local comic shop?
>>
>>54867160
http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.php?p=369148&postcount=21

Here's a pretty solid list, with the reasons why, from a trusted GURPS developer.

My suggestions...

Observation. This is your catch all "see things that are important or people trying to ambush you" skill. It's cheaper to buy up then Perception.

First Aid. If you don't have well distrubited magic healing in the group.

A grappling skill. Wrestling or Judo. Something for if you get grabbed is quite important.

Acrobatics. Even if you only put 1 point in it's a chance to attempt a soft landing or to parkour yourself somewhere.

Stealth, because sooner or later you will want to be able to hide in the dark and avoid detection.

Swimming, because you might get dumped in the water sooner or later.

Knife, because it's easy and shanking a bitch might be needed.
>>
>>54867328
It's in production, but just about ready to go. When it's available to buy you can get it at http://www.sjgames.com/dungeonfantasy/
>>
>>54867353
Thanks.
>>
Is GURPS good for an urban fantasy type game, like Mage: the Buzzword without the totally gay mechanics?
>>
>>54867723
Yeah, you can probably run that with High Tech, borrowing from Dungeon Fantasy, and Monster Hunters.
>>
>>54867723
GURPS Monster Hunters is what you want. It's pretty damn good, and has the best magic system in GURPS.
>>
>>54867747
I actually haven't looked at Monster Hunters. Does it convert well to fantasy?
>>
>>54867821
1) GURPS everything converts really well with each other as it's all built on the same base (one of the enormous reasons to use it) and 2) It's basically already fantasy. It's got paladins, wizards, vampires, demons, and werewolves. You can throw in elves and dwarves too without having to change anything. Thaumatology - Urban Magics will probably be a good read for you, too.
>>
>>54867821
It's an urban fantasy game to begin with, the Witch and Psi characters are especially powerful and direct users of supernatural power, but several templates offer some level of magical power.

You can also play as angels, deamons, lycanthropes, vampires or strange and powerful experiments that can range from human super-soldiers made with werewolf blood to advance refinements on Frankenstein's Adam.
>>
>>54867857
>>54867877
Thanks.

I am converting my 5E game to GURPS, and I'm trying to find the best equivalent of this ability

"You have advantage to track any fey, fiends, or undead." I assume that's probably best done by giving them a sense Fae/sense Undead spell from the Monster Hunter pdf.
>>
>>54867912
There are a variety of ways you can do that, depending on how you want to approach it. Could be a Higher Purpose (Hunting Supernatural Beings), some limited form of Destiny or Luck, or just Hidden Lore (Fey/Fiends/Undead). Probably other ways, too, but those are some ideas. Sense Mind using Path of Spirit or Path of Undead can also work, but that's using magical spells instead of being lucky or having the knowledge yourself. Depends on how you want to represent it.
>>
>>54867988
You can also consider a Detect advantage with whatever modifiers you feel are appropriate (probably Vague or Hypersensory, if you want to keep the cost down).
>>
>>54867988
>>54868200
I have always liked to use an ally for thiis kind of thing, a support NPC that can sense/knows about the monsters and can put the players on the right trail. This allows them to find things to fight and it's as reliable as you need it to be at any time. The NPC filter also means that it's much easier for you to have the power be unavalable when it needs to be for the plot and lets you filter the information though the perspective of an NPC, rather then them getting objective data from their own senses.
>>
>>54867912
>"You have advantage to track any fey, fiends, or undead."
Please don't tell me you actually think feats have any sort of value in any game. Just let players spend their points and put them into being good at tracking in the first place. If you want a special ability that lets you track creatures, detect, higher purpose, a spell, are all good choices, but if it's merely 'you're really good at this thing', I suggest you purge DnD from your system ASAP. A higher than normal skill level, in GURPS terms, is the occam's razor in this situation, don't spoil it by trying to port DnD's worst mechanic ever into other games.
>>
>>54871051
>Please don't tell me you actually think feats have any sort of value in any game.
What? What do you have against specialized class features in a class based RPG?
>>
>>54871178
The 'feat' mechanic is bad for the RPG it is in, modeling one's expectations of other games' on it is misguided. Feats are not a good mechanic in DnD, if it is possible for them to be implemented correctly, nobody has yet, to my knowledge.
>>
>>54871220
How are feats bad? They are the only thing that differentiates fightman #1 from fightman #2 mechanically if they took the same class and subclass.
Also, what the person converting their game is asking about is a mainline class ability, and there is literally nothing wrong with different classes being good at different things.
>>
>>54871320
>and there is literally nothing wrong with different classes being good at different things.
Strawmanning me something fierce, anon. Criticizing the specific is not criticizing the general. Less fallacies, please.

>They are the only thing that differentiates fightman #1 from fightman #2 mechanically if they took the same class and subclass.
Yes... Yes, this is exactly my complaint. Note, it would not be a problem if it was a good mechanic.

>How are feats bad?
I will devote no further posts about DnD on a GURPS general, you could (should, actually) make an entire thread about this.
>>
>>54871397
>>54871051

Hey anon - thanks for your thoughts. I don't think feats per se have any value. I know that the best way of transferring it over is to just make them good at that particular thing (this is a class feature not a "feat").

I know giving them a good skill level will work, they are just exceptionally good at tracking monsters in any form and maybe not as good at tracking anything else like say humans. If there's a way to take above average tracking + bonus for 'evil'/monsters then that's all I want.
For shits and giggles I present to you my group plus thoughts on what I should add. They are level 7, so I'm thinking 250 pts.

Dwarf Life Cleric:
This is pretty straightforward honestly. I am going to wholesale just lift this from Dungeon Fantasy. I might add some stuff from divine favor supplement for his prayers.

Half-Orc Barbarian:
Again, pretty vanilla. I'll wholesale lift this from Dungeon Fantasy as well.

Human Monster Hunter (Battlemaster Fighter with a tiny bit of homebrew):
This is the guy I wanted the tracking ability for. He uses hand axes that he sometimes throws and fights with one in each hand. I'm thinking a mix of Martial Arts and Dungeon Fantasy will work pretty well here. I'm just wavering on how to give him his occult abilities - he can track 'evil' creatures, and perform basic rituals. I think the Monster Hunter supplements for detect will work pretty well.

Half-Elf Warlock of the Tome
Ritual Path Magic plus Powers will serve me pretty well here desu. He has an at will spell he can spam which I'll easily be able to convert with the Powers supplement.

Half-Elf Kensai
She's a bounty hunter, so I'll probably take some Scout archetype from Dungeon Fantasy.

Human Ranger w/ Newborn Dragon as pet
Spattering of nature magic, spattering of bow skills, an ally.

Gnome Swashbuckler
This guy is pretty steampunk, so I'm thinking of buying increased TL items for him to let him create mechanical/steampowered contraptions for himself.
>>
>>54871806
>Ritual Path Magic plus Powers will serve me pretty well here desu. He has an at will spell he can spam which I'll easily be able to convert with the Powers supplement.

I'd suggest checking out the Thaumatology: Sorcery supplement as well. It even has a Dungeon Fantasy template in the Pyramid 3-82.

>>54871806
>Gnome Swashbuckler
>This guy is pretty steampunk, so I'm thinking of buying increased TL items for him to let him create mechanical/steampowered contraptions for himself.

There's an Artificer template in Dungeon Fantasy 4, I believe, which might provide some useful information? I haven't used it, but that feels like the sort of thing it's supposed to be for.
>>
>>54872857

Thanks. I'm quite new to this so I'm trying to keep myself limited in terms of books, but I'll check those out.
>>
>>54871806
>I know giving them a good skill level will work, they are just exceptionally good at tracking monsters in any form and maybe not as good at tracking anything else like say humans. If there's a way to take above average tracking + bonus for 'evil'/monsters then that's all I want.

Either Higher Purpose (Monster Hunting) if you're willing to give him bonuses to other stuff when fighting monsters, or an optional specialization on the Tracking skill, which reduces the difficulty by 1, but gives a -2 penalty when using it for things other than monsters.
>>
>>54873467
Higher Purpose sounds exactly what I need. Thanks.
>>
Let me ask this again.

Would it be strange to let my players take a Supervalue ER?

How much would you make it cost +300%, +400%?
>>
>>54874886
I personally would not because ER and FP are usually just there to act as limits to other actual abilities. If the PCs can cheaply increase those limits to the point of irrelevancy, why bother with them at all? Like, why go through the effort of having the PC's energy blast cost 2 FP if you're going to make 2 FP not mean anything.
>>
File: Johann.pdf (43KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Johann.pdf
43KB, 1x1px
Hey GURPSGEN. I have 15 points available for this character and I can't figure out what I should buy. The GM said that I may take Resistant for evil magic so I will likely take that but otherwise have no thoughts.
>>
>>54876116
Grab Observation, Stealth, and Driving (Carriage) at least. Search or Scrounging wouldn't be a bad idea either.
>>
>>54876547
Thank you. Observation and Stealth are interesting ideas and I really like the idea of carriage driving. It makes me imagine fights between carriages or a carriage being attacked by monsters.
>>
>>54878281
Just glad I could help. Wish more people would give GURPS a try instead of subscribing to the autism meme.
>>
File: 1465499214632.jpg (60KB, 1129x707px) Image search: [Google]
1465499214632.jpg
60KB, 1129x707px
>>54876116
Anyone else notice the predeliction to German games for gurps, either in setting or playerbase sourced?

Weird foible, but I noticed it.
>>
>>54878698
Nope. I usually see a bunch of Brazilians and Russians. Only seen one German.
>>
>>54878698
I've noticed that. Personally I'm a little crazy about the Viking age and northern crusades, so it is all good for me. It's also a modest amount of cross-pollination from Warhammer Fantasy where it's not-Germany surrounded by vampire monsters from not-Hungry and pagan supermen from not-Scandinavian with not-Frenchmen worshiping elf chicks and cups.
>>
>>54855007

Combat Class D Prosthetic Body [388]

This is the entrly level of security prosthetic bodies, utilized by police and corporations. Functionally, it possesses enhanced functions similar to but also slightly above the benifits of the augmentation grade cybernetic modifications utilized by a partial cyborg. In addition the prosthetic body, naturally, also possess the durability, armor, and other advantages uniqe to machines.
Attribute Modifiers: ST+3 [30]; DX+2 [40]; HT +2 [20]

Secondary Characteristic Modifiers: HP +7 [14]; Per +2 [10].

Advantages: Absolute Direction (Requires Signal, -20%) [4]; Absolute Timing (Requires Signal,

-20%) [1]; Arm ST+3 (two arms) [15]; Armor Reinforcements {DR 5 (Skull only, -70%) [18]; DR 10 (Torso only, -10%) [45]; DR 2 (Arms only, -20%) [8]; DR 3(Legs only, -20%) [12]} [83]; Basic

Move +2 [10]; Discriminatory Hearing [15]; Doesn't Breath (Oxygen Storage x50, -40%) [12]; DR

3 (Ablative, -80%) [3]; DR 5 [25]; High Pain Threashold [10]; Enhanced Tracking 1 [5]; Extra

Attack 1 [25]; Machine (Total Cyborg) [25]; Nictitating Membrane [2]; Night Vision 2 [2]; Perfect

Balanace [15]; Proteted Senses (Hearing and Vision) [10]; Super Jump 2 [20]; Telecommunication

(Cable Jack; Sensie, +80%; Seure, +20%) [10]; Telecommunication (Radio; Sensie, +80%; Secure,

+20%) [20]; Telescopic Vision 1 [5].

Perks: Accessories (Onboard Offline Prosthetic Body Operation computer, prosthetic body type biomonitor, IFF Transponders) [3].

Disadvantages: Electrical [-20]; Maintenance (One Person, weekly) [-5]; Restricted Diet (Very Common, Nutrients and Power cells) [-20].

Feature: Cyborg Brain [0]; Realistic Flesh [-1].
>>
ive never played gurps, but im reading this rules section and im impressed with how fleshed out everything is.
everything has rules, and the rules all interact well.
proofreading this makes me want to play it.
>>
It's my favorite system thus far. Only problem is finding a group that'll play it. Thankfully the folks I hang around all love GURPS too.
>>
>>54881573
I've had luck offering to run weird crossover/genre-blending games that would be difficult to run in other systems.
>>
>>54881922
ive gotten peeps interested by showing them the chandelier swinging table in swashbucklers and explaining that anything from any of the books can be used with any of the others.
>>54881416
proofreading?
>>
>>54881994
Inventing
In the world of Girl Genius, every major breakthrough had a Spark of some sort
behind it. See Inventing Without a Net (p. 00) for rules and details.
Optionally, the GM may allow non-Sparks to create new inventions. If so, treat a non-
Spark as having Spark 1, but increase the Complexity of the device being created by one
step: Simple becomes Average, Average becomes Complex, Complex becomes Amazing,
and Amazing things are simply off-limits – some things must remain the province of
Sparks, sorry!
>>
How does one cost an innate attack as a equipment?

Is there a guide?

A ratio of points to Gurps buck?
>>
>>54882169
Simple version: give the innate Attack the appropriate gadget limitations. Look at your (or the gadget's normal) TL and figure out the ratio of points:cash for that TL (see "Trading Points for Money" on page 26 of Characters). Give the gadget a cash cost equal to the amount of cash you would get if you spent those points on cash directly. Voilà. For example, at TL 8, each point gives you $2k; thus, a gadget that costs five points would be roughly worth $10k.

More detailed: Read the Weird Science issue of Pyramid. Two articles in that issue--Daughter of Necessity and Metatronic Generators--approach turning abilities into gear.
>>
>>54882998
Da Rules do say not to buy stuff with points that you could buy with cash. You can't just get DR, for example, without some other justification, and you can't just get an Innate Attack gun instead of buying a pistol in most games.

That said, these rules come down to the GM.
>>
>>54880363
Pretty fragile there. Better then nothing, but it seems like it would only take one shot to wreck this golem.

Even the brain case can't take much abuse.
>>
>>54876116
>>54876547
>>54878281
I would pick up more combat skills before anything else. You are a comparative novice with the one weapon you know how to use and you could really use a backup like a knife. You should also really, really learn to wrestle now, rather then after someone grapples you and teaches you why you want to know how to wrestle.
>>
>>54879938
Yeah I think GURPS's lethal tendencies really lends it to not!WHF games, and those lean towards German in naming conventions if nothing else.
>>
I want an albino race who are blinded and startled by bright lights. How would I stat this up in their metatrait?
>>
Should i say to player he retard and should leave my game, coz he whine in need for RPM, and then first thing he try to cast was abuse about that hole giving innate attack and disadvantages?
Game actually was purposely with offscreen magic for NPCs, where all magic was in fact as goods on black market
>>
>>54888506
Blindness:(mitigator, low light conditions)
>>
>>54888515
That's too frequent, I want them to be easily dazzled by changes in brightness, lights shone in the face etc, not constantly blind in daylight.
>>
>>54888567
Daylight IS bright light. This is exactly what you wanted according to what you're asking for.

It may not be what you have in mind, but it's what you're asking for given logic and your word choices.

If you only want sudden changes in light to affect them and not bright light itself? Go for combat paralysis with a light limitation.
>>
>>54888567
That tends to blind people already, albeit rarely and very temporarily. Maybe use the rules for bright lights, night vision (not the advantage), and such from Enhanced Senses and Tactical Shooting, but give the chosen race Susceptibility to it, giving them a sizable penalty to HT rolls to avoid being blinded.
>>
>>54889562
>>54891008
>>54888567

Bad Sight (Nearsighted) [25] with Only when first exposed to bright light (-50%) and duration (1 minute) (-30%)

So it's a 5 point disadvantage. Exposed to bright light they are near-sighted for 1 minute as their eyes adjust.
>>
File: bg.jpg (90KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
bg.jpg
90KB, 1920x1080px
I've never played gurps before, I want to play a literal megumin anime insert, but my DM says the concept would be bad and my character would just die. Someone help me. I have no idea how to make a character.
>>
>>54892577
Attempt for >>>/pfg/
>>
>>54884517

Note that all the Armor Reinforcement values are in addition to the base 5 DR.

The idea was for it is but one level removed for civilian scale prosthetic bodies--which themselves are essentially the androids used by civilians with further modifications to support & interface a brain case. One thing that changes up to Class A is use of more durable materials and armor. Class D combat bodies also look entirely human unless their artificial skin is removed or scanned with the proper gear. Whereas the body looks more robotic along each higher class.

Also, these cyborgs are expected to gear up in armor like normal & lesser augmented, people.
>>
>>54892577
In GURPS, having one eye gives you some serious penalties. Your GM isn't wrong.
>>
>>54892935
What penalties does 1 eye give you?

Also the slut only can do >EXXRPOOISSION XDDD (Aka yuge nuke that costs too much fatigue and you pass out)
>>
>>54892577
Megumin is a gag character who survives entirely based on writer fiat. She has a single spell she can cast that takes 10+ seconds to prepare (in a game with 1 second combat turns) which disables her completely for an extended period of time after use and would be self destructive in most situations. Shes also a 13 year old girl with no other skills of any kind.

She'd die the first time combat happened without doing anything and would have no out of combat utility. You should not play Megumin.
>>
>>54892577
On one hand, your GM is absolutely right. On the other hand, being a terribly unoptimized piece of shit is the entire point of Megumin.

Jokes aside though, what your GM says goes. If a 8 0 P O I N T S I N E X P L O S I V E F I R E B A L L is inappropriate for the game, it's inappropriate for the game. No difference between the GM nixing that and nixing Brick "Space Patrolman" Rodgers for a low-fantasy game.
>>
>>54892956
Yep, unplayable then.

One Eye 3
-15 points
You suffer -1 to DX in combat and on any task involving hand-eye coordination, and -3 on ranged attacks (unless you Aim first) and on rolls to operate any vehicle faster than a horse and buggy. Some cultures regard those who are missing an eye as unattractive. If this is generally true in your game world, losing an eye will also reduce your appearance by one level (see Physical Appearance, p. 21). If you
start with this trait, assume that it is already factored into your appearance – do not apply an additional reaction modifier.

Between the one eye making your ranged explosion attacks inaccurate, or making you take the time to aim to get them off, knocking yourself out is a great way to get just killed by smart opponents.

Now that you've been spoonfed, get the .pdf of the Basic Set and make a character that isn't shit.
>>
>>54892956
Basic page 147. One Eye disadvantage.
>>
>>54892971
>Not playing a Space Patrolman in a low-fantasy game
He's a ranger/fugitive hunter.
>>
>>54892956
>>54892935
>>54893069
Megumin has both of her eyes, she just wears an eyepatch.
>>
>>54893239
Is there a disadvantage for being a massive fucking retard?

I mean, you can always make an expy, namely a nuke-happy retard.
>>
>>54893239
Counts has having one eye if it's covered. Just makes her more of a retard and shit character to play.
>>
>>54892700
>>54892935
>>54892961
>>54892971
its a 200 point game, with another 45 in disadvantages, could a 245 point build megumin work? I could tweak her abilities a bit, like no channel times, more than one spell, etc etc, plus having high int would make her useful in roleplay/social situations or puzzles. Also the eyepatch is just for fashion, I can flip it up for combat. for combat utility I could just make her fire based instead of just explosion based.
>>
>>54893268
You could consider her to have a Delusion.

She has a particular belief about Explosion magic that strongly affects her behavior to the detriment of herself and others around her and screws over her ability to actually improve as a mage. She won't increase her MP (FP in this case) even though it would allow her to cast multiple times and/or not pass out, but doesn't and instead only ever improves the power and cast time of her singular spell and refuses to learn any other skills whatsoever, so it would certainly qualify as a disadvantage.

But really just don't try and play a character who is willfully unhelpful and useless.
>>
>>54893433
Go nuketard, don't take only 1 eye.

Also the second she stops being a fucking retard it stops being megumin and starts being ye olde nukemaster wizard.
>>
>>54893433
your GM straight up told you a it's a shit idea, but he was probably trying to be nice about it. Maybe turn your fucking brain on and take what he said to heart. Don't drag your shitty anime insert character into the game.
>>
>>54893433
Yes, you can absolutely make a character who is a Mage who is focused on a single absurdly powerful innate attack and 200 points is a lot of points to work with, that's fine. But consult with your GM about the nature of magic in the setting being used to see if magical innate attacks are appropriate.

The explosion part of Megumin isn't the problem, the problem is she's an idiot.
>>
>>54893433
Then it really wouldn't be Megumin anymore, but a generic mage who just happens to look like Megumin.

What makes Megumin who she is is also what makes her a not very useful character.
>>
>>54893433
You can make almost anything work with 245 points, but if you have 200 points to play with? Don't use the full 45 on disadvantages. It's rarely worth picking up more than 20-25 points of negative qualities.
>>
>>54893536
Basically, the only reason she is still around and alive is because she is a main character. That protection doesn't exist in GURPS.
>>
I've never played gurps before, I guess ill go with a blast wizard that just looks like megumin then. Could you guys recommend some good advantages? I have no idea what im doing here. I have the master advantage/disadvantage list but none of them say what they actually do, and my google-fu isnt finding half this stuff.
>>
>>54893555
I mean, you could spam luck/fortune/etc... as "plot armor" of sorts.

But then you realize this guy is literally a meatgrinder, and not a good one, it's not a "The social guy does intimidate and his intimidate is setting the deranged violent lapdog meat grinder onto the room".
>>
>>54893671
Combat reflexes.

The char builder has an anotation where it says where you can find it (EX: B95 means basic 95, MA61 means Martial Arts 61)
>>
>>54893433
>>54893671

Quit trying to insert your shitty anime character into things it doesn't belong in. The character has its place in its particular show, but unless you're playing a game that is 1) specifically based on the show or 2) supposed to be silly, take your GM's advice and stay away from intentionally shit characters.

If you're serious, go get the basic set and be resourceful
>>
>>54893725
oh man that one is great!
>>
>>54893671
If you want a shortcut to a halfway decent mage, you could use GCS, then library explorer, then Classes -> DF 15 -> Apprentice
This gives you a halfway decent 125 point mage,

Their is a piece of that template that isn't complete that is as follows for a "wizard" which is what you want:
Wizard: Magery 2 [25].
• 10 points total in either Magery 3 [10] or 10 wizardly spells, which will be either (H) IQ [1]-13 or (VH) IQ-1 [1]-12 with the +2 for Magery.
• Apprentice wizards should add their Magery level to Thaumatology, if chosen.

Then you have 75 points for customizing the character further.

On the topic of the eye patch by the way, if you want an eye patch, but you don't want it to mess you up, you can take an eye patch at a quirk level (typically, it's an unspoken rule that players get 5 quirks *on top* of the disadvantage limit; quirks are trivial disadvantages that are more like role play aids; ask your GM to be certain) A quirk level eye patch could be something like, "once per session, you must do a combat with a small penalty of -1 to all rolls while role playing the eye patch being in your way."

On the topic of must have wizard abilities:
*You want the recover energy spell; it's actually a passive ability that heals mana faster.
*You want to consider Mana Reserve, it heals in tandem with FP so you can cast more spells more often and take shorter rests.
*You want to consider getting as many levels of Magery as your GM allows; Enough so that all your spells are at least 15 skill with 1 point, or if possible, 20 with 1 point.
*Everyone wants to have Luck. Combined with Combat Reflexes, as mentioned here >>54893725 These two advantages are nearly quintessential for all players in a combat oriented game, which I am guessing is what your GM is shooting for based on his recommendations.
>>
>Read GURPS Spaceships basic space combat
>Abstracted movement
I think this made my brain start to dribble out of my ears. The idea of trying to resolve space combat without actually tracking the physical locations of the craft involved just makes me wince and it doesn't seem to really support combat involving more than two space craft.

Does anyone else feel this way?

The tactical space combat rules are fine though.
>>
>>54894295
I forgot on one of these bullet points why getting spell skill levels to 15 or 20 is important: at skill 15, spells have a 1 FP discount, and at 20 they have a 2 FP discount; this pattern continues for every 5 extra skill, but 25 is probably impossible right out of the gate for a 200/-45 character right out of the gate without some heavy min-maxing.
>>
>>54894329
Oh, another thought, GURPS doesn't specifically have any weird rules that say a mage can only use weapons x, y, or z, but a quarterstaff is actually a really decent, cheap weapon that you can get enchanted with the staff spell for super cheap, while still being "wizardly." It's one I'd recommend for newbies, and as a wizard, you don't need your second hand so often for other sometimes useful mundane tools like torches, and a quarterstaff's +2 to parry makes it ***almost*** as good as a dedicated shield.
>>
>>54894313
Anon, don't have an IQ of 200 and programmed your own 3d gameboard for gurps space combat?

3d abusing combats are better done in an abstract space or ignoring the 3d aspect,
specially ones where you can shift through any axis at any moment you want to.
>>
File: tumblr_osxcude2Ni1ryykhco1_540.jpg (97KB, 540x699px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_osxcude2Ni1ryykhco1_540.jpg
97KB, 540x699px
>>54894313
There's a real point where you have to pick between realism and calculus for space combat.

>>54893536
I feel like she'd made a great ally for a certain kind of game where the player has to figure out how to defend her and how to make use of her very limited magic power.

>>54893709
Serendipity and Luck are good for "God's Favorite Idiot" characters that stay alive despite their own efforts and logic.
>>
>>54894455
Quarterstaff's a really good weapon. A strong person armed with one can deal a lot of damage, defend themselves well and it's a decent amount of reach.
>>
>>54888506
>>54888567
Give them Night Vision 5 [0]. They see normally at a darkness penalty of -5, take darkness penalties at -6 or worse, and take light penalties at -4 or higher. That's from orcs in GURPS Fantasy. Albinism is just... I'm not sure, distinctive features?

>>54892577
>>54893433
>>54893671
I suggest you play something like Megumin (child wizard who goes for "cool" spells) but make them balanaced, like having them specialize in the Fire college and have a smattering of knowledge and research skills (Such as Hidden Lore, Research, and Thaumatology). For example:

Name: Not!Megumin (163)
Attributes: ST 10 [0]; DX 10 [0]; IQ 14 [80]; HT 10 [0]
Secondary Characteristics: Dmg 1d-2/1d; BL 20 lb; HP 10 [0]; Will 14 [0]; Per 14 [0]; FP 10 [0]; Basic Speed 5 [0]; Basic Move 5 [0]
Advantages: Magery 3 [23]; Energy Reserve (Magical) 10 [30];
Disadvantages: Social Stigma (Minor) [-5]; Odious Personal Habit [-10];
Skills: Hidden Lore (Demon Lore) IQ-1 [1]-13; Research/TL3 IQ-1 [1]-13; Thaumatology IQ+0 [1]-14; Writing IQ-1 [1]-13;

As a blaster, you'll be underwhelmed by the Explosive Fireball spell. See if you can swing this by your GM: Burning Attack 3 (Explosion 1, +50%; Magical, -10%) [21]. You'll find Innate Attack on B61 and Explosion 1 on B104.

Other than that, listen to >>54894295.
>>
File: 3312.png (455KB, 493x479px) Image search: [Google]
3312.png
455KB, 493x479px
Am I supposed to print Ultra Lite on A4 or on some other size?
>>
>>54895294
>Character survives on writer fiat
>Not god's favorite idiot
I mean, it'd fit.
But then your fellow players might as well geld you for being an useles cunt.
>>
File: Char.pdf (40KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Char.pdf
40KB, 1x1px
I'm going to be playing in a 40s X-Files type game. How is this for a war veteran detective?
>>
>>54897694

Weak, and with far too much in disadvantages.
Too many points in pistols and Hard to Kill, Xenophobia at more than quirk level in an X-files styled game is just begging to be a useless shit and annoy your group.
And what sort of war veteran doesn't know their way around a rifle? This was a lot of work if you're just trying to troll. If your GM is allowing 100pts of disads, he's a fucking moron.
>>
>>54897694
Wouldn't a lieutenant have been in command of a platoon, not a squad? An Officer would be at least rank 2 or 3. Rank one and squad command should be around Sergeant or Corporal.

And a titanium crowbar? In the 40s? For only 50 Gurpsbucks? The fuck?
>>
>>54897694
97 is sort of a weird disadvantage limit.

Xenophobia makes a lot of sense for the character, but it's crippling. Even if you pass the roll to resist your fear you get -3 to IQ and DX based rolls when confronted with xenoforms.

18 guns is likely not needed, a typical pistol in the '40s can hit Acc 3 with Fine quality, so hitting a target won't be so hard as all that.

Forced Entry is sort of useful to have, but I might prefer to spit it between 1 point in that and 1 point in Lockpicking.

Hard to Kill is limited to 2 points in many games. If your GM okays it then I don't mind it though, it means that you are likely to survive plenty of otherwise fatal blows.

Solider (TL 7) is quite useful, it lets you handle radios, maintain weapons and deal with common world war 2 solider stuff.
>>
>>54897958
The squad he was in. I will increase the rank. I have now dealt with that crowbar issue.

>>54897862
The GM said that the disadvantages would be fine, but he warned me that he would actually implement them. Is 18 in pistols too high? I also thought that you could use rifles at a -2 to Guns (Pistols)?
>>
File: 3712-934x.jpg (61KB, 800x706px) Image search: [Google]
3712-934x.jpg
61KB, 800x706px
>>54897958
An infantry LT would command a platoon. Intel, headquarters or a navy LT might only have a squad under them.

>>54897862
Duity (Law Enforcement) might be a required disadvantage, though I'm not that guy and I can't speak to that. 97 points seemed like a lot to me too.
>>
>>54898049
You're going to get fucked over hard if all of those disadvantages come into effect fairly often. You'll be at an almost permanent -3 to most important rolls in an X-Files type campaign, assuming you aren't currently suffering the effects of a failed fright check. You have a big chance of being disabled in any kind of stressful situation with flashbacks. If your glasses get damaged (they will) you're going to have a hard time doing anything. In addition, your secret will undeniably fuck you up if the GM is saying he will implement disadvantages.

You really should cut down on disadvantages.
>>
>>54898049
He would have training in Rifle though; Pistol should be the default, not the other way around, at least going by the backstory.

You're spending over 70% of your points budget on attributes because you're trying to be good at everything. 125 points is not enough to be a genius and an acrobat, so drop one to 10 (and hell, maybe drop the other to 11) and use Talents and Talent-like advantages instead to shore up specific skill groups.

Speaking of skills, you're way too focused on a small number of skills. Branch out and cover your bases before blowing 20 points on anything. Guns-18 of any specialty makes you quite possibly the best marksman in the nation or at least one of the contenders for that title, and that seems a tad excessive. Unless you plan on plugging dudes a football field away or getting headshots, it's excessive mechanically as well. I recommend dropping skill levels and relying on Aiming, two-handed shooting stances, and exploiting cover to make up the difference. As for what skills you should look at, look at the Detective! wildcard skill on page 175 of GURPS: Characters--while you obviously won't be using or needing all of that, it's a good place to start looking on how to shore up your investigative aspect. Soldier is also a really solid addition for both flavor and effectiveness.

125 points is not a lot. You're not some average schlub, but you're not a hardened action movie hero; set your sights accordingly.
>>
File: mzTwAKk.jpg (83KB, 960x395px) Image search: [Google]
mzTwAKk.jpg
83KB, 960x395px
>>54897694
>>54898930
>>54898868
>>54898068

My advice would be to talk to your GM and ask if point values can be shifted to 200 points and a 25 point disadvantage limit. This would make each disadvantage more important. In your case, I like the idea of his flashbacks to the war and his guilt over losing his team. It's a great plot hook that sort of gets lost among his other disadvantages.

Make Duity (FBI) Mandatory for everyone and you've got a better balance, especially for newer GM's and players.
>>
File: GTspin.gif (1MB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
GTspin.gif
1MB, 400x300px
Has anyone got a copy of the new Steampunk Vehicles book to share?

If not, I'll buy it and upload it to the archive if there is interest.
>>
>>54897511
If I have to guess it's murrican "letter" format which is bit wider and shorter than A4.
>>
>>54899854
I'd certainly like it. I don't think anyone has shared it yet. I feel guilty asking anyone to buy it, I'd intended to do so myself.
>>
>>54899854
Since it's the first book of a new series, I recommend as many people buy it outright as feasible to show that people do want more of this.
>>
So one of my Players in a fantasy game I'm running, wants to make a Frankenstein style necromancer (IE, stitching together undead golems from body parts, then animating them). What's a good way to represent his ability to do this, and have it happen in play? We don't want to use Ally, as the idea is they're each unique, but expendable, and he'll probably be going through them fairly often, with each one created with a specific purpose in mind.
>>
>>54902872
Modular Abilities creating Allies, with the Accessibility limitation; 'enough body parts for a nominal human'? It does give the ability to pump more points into the MA, which in turn lets him have more and more zombies at once.
>>
>>54902872
Look at Powers: The Weird. It includes a number of weird science styles, one of which covers Frankenstein-style reanimators. It will likely need some tweaking to fit the setting, but it's a place to start.

If that doesn't work, check the Dungeon Fantasy: Summoners book for how it handles necromancers and their disposable but time-consuming allies and mix it with MA like >>54903281 recommended. I'd also consider adding a high level of Preparation Required to represent the surgical stitching and a Trigger for body part requirements; MA should be limited to not only Allies but Allies with Unliving, Appearance (Monstrous; Universal), and similar traits (check GURPS: Zombies for undead metatraits).

Lastly, tell us what style of magic your fantasy system runs with. What you describe is super easy with RPM but less so with Magic, for example.
>>
>>54902015
I want more vehicles but I really really don't want them to waste any more time on steampunk. I'm conflicted.
>>
>>54903706
Think of it as the time spent making all the mashed potatoes for a truly immense food sculpture.

This work is the basis of all other work. And it will be glorious
>>
>>54903700
>Lastly, tell us what style of magic your fantasy system runs with.
Magic I hadn't decided on overall. RPM was what I was leaning, and I hadn't even thought about it. What would be the best way to handle it in that?
>>
>>54902872
GURPS Zombies has some suggestions for different approaches on pages 133-136. Really, it depends on what magic system the campaign uses.

Note that it is possible to have Ally represent an ability to summon or create new entities every time the ability is used. See Powers, p. 41 for details.
>>
>>54904460
Both RPM and it's DF variant Incantation Magic treat it as a simple Create Undead/Necromancy + Control Undead/Necromancy spell with enough duration and weight allowance to be useful. The hard part of making a would-be Adam wouldn't be the animation, it'd be gathering all the corpses and fashioning a coherent body to start with (maybe a Surgery roll?).

Worth noting that DF has an extra parameter, Summoned, which increase spell difficulty based on the point value of the creature your summoning/animating/whatever. A necromancer with effectively unlimited time and access to corpses would still struggle to built a 300-foot tall undead abomination because it would be such a high-value summon.

All in all, I recommend giving Dungeon Fantasy 19: Incantation Magic a look over. It's much more appropriate to most fantasy settings than RPM because of how it divides the paths up and how it handles casting. It also changes how greater/lesser effects work into something very black/white, making it easier to make calls mid-game.
>>
Here's the new book.
>>
>>54904690
Thanks!
>>
>>54904690
I thought this was GURPS Vehicles proper for a split second and I think my heart stopped. It's fine now, but that was terrifying.
>>
File: IMG_0534.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0534.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
So I'm making a race of ubermensh for my sci-fi game and this is what I have so far.

Anything I'm missing
>>
>>54908107
The ability to rotate images.

Other then that, reduced consumption is an odd choice. Less food is an advantage only if you are food limited, highly intelligent creatures are generally have little trouble locating enough food.
>>
>>54908107
Really dependent on two things: what's your point budget, and what's the übermensch's purpose? Without those two parameters, we could boost every attribute to 20 and give every beneficial advantage in the book, but those suggestions likely won't be helpful.
>>
>>54909126
I want to keep it as close to 100 points

And I want to abuse as many features and perks as possible, as well as helpful disadvantages(sense of duty keeps the race together)
>>
>>54909179

Right now it looks like you are going Skaven with them. + Less Food, + Very Fit, +Breeds Fast, Racial Unity.

Embrace that, drop in SM -1. They become super smart swarms that dominate the world by sheer numbers and intelligence.

That said, my basic advice for creating races..

Avoid having too many non-exotic, non-supernatural traits. A player can buy these themselves. For example, +4 IQ here eats 80 points but literally anyone could have that. Dropping it to +1 IQ and Photgraphic Memory keeps the basic idea of them as smart guys but saves sixty points.

Pick traits that reinforce a idea and make the race distinct.

Regeneration (Slow), SM +1, Damage Resistance 2 and Claws (Sharp) and Teeth (Sharp) and Increased Consumption 1 gives a very distinct race for less points then you've spent on "they are smart, I guess".
>>
So can I get a cosmic modular ability and then constantly switch the perk(accessory) to change tools?
>>
>>54909654
Yes, you can.
>>
>>54911406
Would it be crappy

>"oh it's a computer know"

>"shovel now"

>"wrench"
>>
>>54911465
Go go gadget convenience!
>>
File: screwdriver.jpg (99KB, 1150x647px) Image search: [Google]
screwdriver.jpg
99KB, 1150x647px
>>54911465
>>54912332
>>
>>54855007
So I'm getting more familiar with gurps, have yet to play it.

Say I want to do "GURPS D&D Forgotten Realms" or "GURPS D&D Planescape".

>Basic Set + Powers + Low Tech or Fantasy.
>Maybe Martial Arts or Dungeon Fantasy (which I'm not very familiar with, but have pre-ordered from my LGS).
I'm leaning towards "all magic runs on some variant of Sorcery".
Some questions:
>how would I make it do 5e style or (better) shadowrun style "concentration", allowing you to keep spells active while casting other spells?
>how do build handle instant, permanent, or long duration spells for sorcery?
>>
>>54912738
Powers has a lot of crunch. Basic Set offers plenty of customization for new people, and if you really need more, most of what you'll want is in Power Ups: Enhancements and Power Ups: Limitations. I suggest just using Basic Set magic/GURPS Magic, since it's easy and has everything pre-statted, if nothing else. This will also make your game more compatible with the Dungeon Fantasy line, which is the de facto "D&D in GURPS" product line.

>how would I make it do 5e style or (better) shadowrun style "concentration", allowing you to keep spells active while casting other spells?
AFAIK this is just buying the spell you want to use at the same time as others at full price, i.e. not as an alternative ability. If Sorcery has mechanics for breaking this without paying the cost (you should pay the full cost for the spell, otherwise it's a point crock), then IDK how to implement it.

>how do build handle instant, permanent, or long duration spells for sorcery?
Extended Duration covers this. Reduced Duration, if not in Thaumatology - Sorcery, is in Power Ups: Limitations.
>>
>>54912738
>allowing you to keep spells active while casting other spells
I don't remember the source (I think it was in Power Ups Limitations) but there is optional rule for Alternative Abilities: for each ability you bough for full cost you essentially gain one extra slot to use any of your AAs simultaneously. E.g. let's say you have 5 abilities, 2 of them you bough for full cost (those must be most expensive ones as usual) and the rest at x1/5, now you can keep any two of those 5 abilities active at the same time instead of just one.
>>54912845
>Powers has a lot of crunch
That's just bullshit. It has more options for abilities, that's all. And it definitely useful if you want to make more spells for Sorcery.
>>
>>54912845
Yeah.... If I had to use gurps magic, I might have skipped dungeon fantasy entirely.

If I wanted "just dungeon crawling" fantasy" that might suffice. But if I want "GURPS D&D", then I'm looking specifically for D&D content converted to GURPS. And having a point buy powers system like sorcery is gonna make it a hell of a lot easier for me to write up the spells I need.
>>
>>54913448
Pyramid #82 has Sorcerer template that you can use instead of normal DF mages.
>>
File: Grimwyrd Exorcism.pdf (117KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Grimwyrd Exorcism.pdf
117KB, 1x1px
Moo Hoo
Ha Ha

Whaddya all think?
>>
Is GURPS a good system for a Warhammer Fantasy game? I don't want to use the official system due to personal preference.
>>
>>54915486
It would be fine.
>>
How do you guys run combat with large monsters? Do you try to game it out all tactical-like, or do you prefer to take a narrative approach? Or a combination thereof?
>>
File: tumblr_ojjayqaXVR1v4krueo1_540.jpg (89KB, 515x810px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ojjayqaXVR1v4krueo1_540.jpg
89KB, 515x810px
>>54916102

Go full tactical. Big creatures should have varied armor over different parts of their body and different areas you can reach from a given hex. There's a pyramid on climbing large creatures that can be fun too, but even without that the teamwork needed to cripple a dragon's wings and get it to expose the thinner scales on it's chest can be a hell of a lot of fun.

I suggest making their more devastating attacks have a second of warm up and warning, so players can take cover, brace or run away from the strike zone. Knockback is great for attacks that could do way too much damage otherwise, tossing around player characters. A ST 30 dragon hitting with one handed backhand shove/slaps can send people flying but won't leave them a greasy, broken stain on the ground.

>>54915253

Much faster then basic set exorcism. You miss out on the chance to make it a whole big thing of tying people down and dumping holy water on them while you get an old priest and a young priest but you also don't have to give up hours IC to do it.
>>
Alright, I can't believe I'm doing this, but I'm going to bite the bullet. I can't even count how often I've seen someone trying to sell anons on GURPS, and you know what, you've got me. I'm curious. How does all this work? What's the appeal, and what can I do with it?
>>
File: tumblr_muffdxeoXF1qis07wo1_500.jpg (53KB, 426x679px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_muffdxeoXF1qis07wo1_500.jpg
53KB, 426x679px
>>54916910

The great part of GURPS is knowing that if you can come up with an idea you can do it.

The other great part is the things GURPS does well: Brutal combat. Getting shot or stabbed in GURPS hurts more then in anything but the most lethal other games. Combat also has enough moving parts that two people that fight with swords won't have basically identical builds.

For people starting out I tend to suggest TL 3 low fantasy games. Game of Thrones, the crusades or viking ages, any of them can offer great, brutal combat with complicated characters.
>>
>>54917015

Alright, I've been looking at the Lite rules, and I have to admit it looks pretty damn appealing, and not as complicated as I had thought it would be based on what people said. Course I've only seen the light so far, but it looks doable. What books should I grab to start off? How do I get this going?
>>
>>54917041

Also, what would I need for a mid fantasy? I'd like there to be more magic than there is in Low fantasy settings, but I'd like it to be more ritual, and mystical shit rather than "I cast fireball". Which is not to say I would object to a pyromancer, but I want to it to be more involved and have the feel of something they've worked for, if that makes any sense.
>>
File: ravenwoman.jpg (126KB, 539x810px) Image search: [Google]
ravenwoman.jpg
126KB, 539x810px
>>54917041

GURPS Lite and How to be a GURPS GM are good places to start. GURPS For Dummies is a decent book, though there's stuff in there I don't agree with.

Next, I'd suggest finding a new person friendly game online and dipping your toes in. Try things out. If you are a GM and plan to run in person, then I'd suggest you check out http://www.themook.net/rpg/examples/ to see how combat works in practice. It's also a good introduction to how optional rules can change things up.

The Basic Set is next, and it's all you need really. There are a lot of things you can add to the basic set, and will likely want to, but it can handle a huge amount of situations. Don't be too intimidated, most of the first book is a catalog of advantages, disadvantages and skills that you mostly only need to refer for character creation while the second book's first 3 chapters cover almost everything you need to know to run the game.

For building characters, I suggest GURPS Character Sheet, a free program that keeps track of the math for you. It's a tiny bit buggy, but stable and relatively easy to use.

If you have any questions or problems, check back here. Lots of people post here and help how they can.
>>
>>54917093

Thank you anon.
>>
>>54917058
Sounds like you want Ritual Path Magic, without the Adept advantage. People can create magic items in rituals that can be used to create effects later, like healing or attacks, but they aren't going to be casting in combat as it tends to take a prepared area and several minutes to cast a spell.
>>
>>54917041
Gurps powers, gurps martial arts, gurps low tech, and gurps fantasy arts all available print on demand on Amazon now.
>>
>>54917106

That sounds perfect. Where can I find that?
>>
>>54917115
Is one of the many PDF only Products.

IIRC it's actually called ritual path magic, but there's expansions to it in some issues of pyramid.
>>
>>54917123

Would I find it in the Magic or Thaumaturgy books or would it not be in those?
>>
>>54917115
Thaumatology - Ritual Path Magic
I would be careful with it for new players (and GMs) though, it uses its own rules for spell building and can be harder to get a grasp on than default magic or Sorcery.
>>
>>54917136
It is its own book.
>>
So I'm considering trying to run a campaign based on the webcomic Girl Genius, I kmow I'll need steam punk as the base, but i'm a bit stumped as to what else i'll need to pull it off. Anyone have any suggestions? The basic idea of the setting for those of you who don't know is that mad scientists are a thing, and they go around making giant robots and monsters and death rays and whatnot. Really wacky and zany shit.
>>
>>54917346
Remember that freedom is important, but the real story when you deal with people that can build just about anything is constraining them and making them figure things out with what is available.

Trying to take out a rampaging monster with a deathray-proof shield armed only with your trusty deathray and the scraps available in the back of a dressmaker's shop is more fun then blasting away at a dozen people with a deathray. Give the players limited supplies and let them figure out how to use them to get though mad genus challenges like Rick Sancheze.

I'd suggest Powers, Steampunk and maybe Low Tech. Gunpowder bombs, rockets and primative machines with new ideas can go a long way to feeling like mad science.

There is a Girl Genius GURPS in development, but I think it's very stalled.
>>
>>54864973
I know you want guidance on a module. There really aren't many published because, well, GURPS is a difficult thing for which to publish planned material. I wish people would publish DF modules.

I recommend you read "How to be a GURPS GM". It broadly covers a _lot_ of the newbie relevant stuff, and is easily worth the purchase just for use as a set of guidelines. It is relevant here, though, because the author also goes over an example sequence of quasi-medieval adventure setup and running.

Once you grok all that, and you've GM'd a couple sessions of whatever the hell you want, I'd say you're in the clear to basically convert an existing module on the fly. That's what I've done. It's relatively easy, especially if you write down some stats for frequently occurring monsters. Though I still find difficulty with converting AC on the fly to GURPS relevant statistics.

It's something of an art, converting published material for another system on the fly. The biggest key to the thing is nailing how you want it to feel (especially in comparison to how it feels in its parent system), and remembering what the bell curve does. A bandit leader doesn't need to have much of a stat increase to be _much_ more competent than a bandit mook. At higher levels, competency should increase not through stats, but through cleverness and guile; this is because of the diminishing returns of the bell curve.

Try mucking about with some OSR or some "system agnostic" material first. These have mostly minimal stat blocks and just enough fluff. You don't need to price out the monsters in points, just write what feels appropriate for the challenge the monster is supposed to represent.
>>
>>54917346
Powers: The Weird has weird science styles in the same vein as martial arts styles, which are perfect for sparks. The spark itself is higher levels of IQ, (Quick) Gadgeteer, and boatloads of Charisma all bundled together and with Temporary Disadvantage (Callous/Delusion/Megalomania/Obsession/etc.) slapped on.
>>
>>54919100
>>54917906

Thank you.
>>
If I drop ST to 0 does HP also drop to 0 or does it stay at 10?
>>
>>54920298
HP is derived from your ST. I'm sure you can figure it out from there.
>>
>>54855007
>>54855039
whats the best way to learn GURPS basic? reading the 4th edition basic set, campaigns and characters? id likely be the gm
>>
File: ManeuversPosture.pdf (16KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
ManeuversPosture.pdf
16KB, 1x1px
>>54920443
Start with GURPS Lite. Then give the Basic Set a whirl. End that with How to Be a GURPS GM. Season with cheat sheets to taste and garnish *very* lightly with additional books as necessary or as recommended by /tg/.
>>
>>54920443
Yes, the basic set is the entryway into GURPSdom. Campaigns has the large majority of the rules and acts as the 'gm's book' for the game. Characters also has important rules, though, and every player should probably read both.
>>
>>54920486
For a first campaign, I'd only recommend Dungeon Fantasy for a 'typical' tabletop experience to feel how GURPS operates differently. For a low TL campaign, there's the Low Tech supplement, and TL 6+ has High Tech which is full of useful gadgets and firearms tables.

If you wanna do Space Opera, I'd wait until you have a bit more experience. Ultra-Tech needs adjusting and some houseruling.
>>
So for my game I'm making spaceships, which I cannot make with gurps spaceship(a negative sm)

So I'm thinking about stating them as characters, the issue I have about this is how to do ftl travel with a character.

What is the best way to do this?
>>
>>54921179
Physically traveling through space would be Flight plus a bunch on Enhanced Move. Teleporting there, or traveling through jumpspace/hyperspace, would be Warp.
>>
>>54921076
What's wrong with Ultra tech?
>>
How do I build an effective Dual Daggers fighter who can throw them as well as they use them in melee - 250pts up to 75pts disadvantages.
>>
>>54921800
ST for damage
DX for a basis on skills
Buy up Knife skill
Buy up knife throwing skill
Buy fast draw:knife skill
Buy up some techniques for special work, targeted attack:vitals or the like.
Get ambidexterity and extra attack for two hands of knives
Get weapon master(knives) for extra damage and better parties(which suck to begin with)
Buy big knives

Done
>>
>>54916819
>Much faster then basic set exorcism
Which I believe is a necessary evil in Grimwyrd. The game has a bit of a frantic pacing and I needed a legit way of allowing for OUT DAMN SPIRIT moments, without totally killing a scene with shopping, downtime and overprep.

This has demonstrated to me the reliance of pacing pressure in my games...
>>
>>54921788
It was practically the first supplement published and it shows. The primary gripe is how out of whack weapons become at higher TLs vs. the DR offered by higher TL armor.
>>
>>54922229
"Rocket tag"
The book was too specific, too narrow a focus, not generic enough. Hard lessons to learn publishing books...
>>
>>54922262
Is there a better alternative to ultratech, or is gurps just bad at scifi?

Is there a 3e book that makes a better replacement?
>>
>>54921800
>>54922174
Throwing Art might be a good one too.
And put Main-Gauche on the maybe pile.
With Throwing Attack (Knife); Knife, and Main-Gauche, you might be able to save some points by using a few Off-handed weapon training perks.
If you omit Main-Gauche, you might be able to substantially optimize your Skill levels by focusing specifically on your skills instead of DX.

For what it's worth, the "Dagger Fighting" style in Martial Arts on p. 155 seems pretty good as is for some guidance on some abilities to focus on, and if you retool Escrima on the same page a bit to be knives instead of small sword and main-gauche (or knife and main-gauche), it's also a pretty decent style, and they both have decent mechanically useful suites of suggested techniques, advantages and skills.
>>
>>54922550
>Is there a 3e book that makes a better replacement?
The big issue with UT is that it's basically 3e copy-pasta'd with weapon values run through a converter.

As for alternatives, sort of? A number of Pyramid articles help out, but honestly I find the easiest thing to do is either use split TLs (e.g. TL8-9 weapons but TL10 body armor) or simply double/triple/quintuple DR values until they feel right. Also, the most terrifying weapons tend to be LC1; even if you're running a military game, such gear may be rare. Remember that you can control both what NPCs have as well as what the PCs have access to (this goes double for military games where CO's might decide that no the party does not need gyroc autolaunchers loaded with shaped-charge antimatter warheads).
>>
What are the best advantages for a grappler gurpsgen?
>>
>>54922730
Lifting ST and Constriction Attack first and foremost, with high Size Modifier coming in very closely behind. After that, Innate Attacks with Aura and Spines are nice offensive boosts; Slippery and Double-Joined/Flexible help you escape grapples that go south; and innate DR helps keep you safe, especially if your GM is using Technical Grappling, which give bonuses to grabbing clothes, armor, and other handholds.
>>
I'm thinking of running a X-Com style game with Gurps, with a heavy focus on Base Building and expendable characters in typical X-Com fashion. Anyone have any advice for me?
>>
>>54923001
Boardroom and Curia
>>
>>54922850
How to combine natural weapons such as bites and claws with grappling?
>>
>>54923001
>X-COM
Use Monster Hunters. Specifically, us MH4: Applied Xenology, ditch the strictly supernatural character options, and have everyone have the same background/Patron. If high lethality is going to be a focus, you can use the more low-power templates from MH3: Sidekicks. You could also use Pointless Monster Hunting, which replaces typical chargen with a much faster slot-based system, making replacing characters less painful; if you want, I could post what I've already done for a pointless XCOM game. I don't think I'll ever have a chance to run it, so it'd be nice if the work I did actually benefited someone.

>Base-building
Either use Spaceships and simply don't include an engine system, or use "What's In a Lair" from Pyramid #3/86: Organizations.
>>
>>54923062
Martial Arts covers worrying i.e. biting down on something and shaking the shit out of it, but that tends to replace traditional grapples rather than supplement them. However, claws and bites are both Reach C, meaning they are quite good in close combat/grappling ranges. If you manage to close the distance with, say, a sword user, you can grapple and then easily maul them while they struggle with their longer weapons.
>>
>>54923135
Good tips on books, I was thinking of using the Conspiracy-X Gurps book for base building, with my own additions for X-Com style research, but I'll take a peak at Spaceships and compare the two.
>>
Warehouse 23 is having a smallish sale on GURPS books and PDFS, fyi.
>>
A little off topic, but can someone give me a quick and dirty overview of how Gurps compares to/differs from HERO? I grew up playing the latter, but it's even harder to find players/material for than Gurps, so I'm thinking about making a change
>>
>>54923287
Thanks, just picked up How To Be a GURPS GM. I wish I wasn't in the UK, otherwise would have grabbed some books too.
>>
>>54922724
So unlike gurps magic this one is worth my money, but I have to houserule the armor?
>>
>>54923946
That's a good summary.
>>
>>54923946
Well said. It falls apart at weapons vs armor, but the rest of the book is alright. Cool gadgets are cool gadgets--biosensors, thermo-optic camo, smart houses, and similar things work fine and are arguably more essential for a futuristic campaign than "gun with bigger numbers" and "armor with bigger numbers."
>>
File: unknown[1].png (29KB, 673x217px) Image search: [Google]
unknown[1].png
29KB, 673x217px
I got some stuff today.
>>
>>54888506
Just by the way if you are aiming for simulating the real world condition; albino people generally have extremely poor to near blindness levels of vision (and visual acuity can vary per eye too) on top of the light sensitivity.

Source: two albino friends.
>>
>>54924736
>Dungeon fantasy traps
As in delicious Bridget or as in murdering people in the dick?
>>
>>54925354
Both.

DFC assassins.
>>
File: blah.png (976KB, 847x903px) Image search: [Google]
blah.png
976KB, 847x903px
El oh el.
>>
>>54893671
Wow the responses you are getting are really odd. With the right GM and group and in an appropriate campaign you could totally play a character like that and she would have the potential to make some really fun and memorable games happen. All you would have to do is give her a few other support knowledge and research skills, which is not *totally* inaccurate she knows about magic and what it can do and what kinds of spells there are, she just has a crazy single minded obsession with only one. Wouldn't stretch the character so much it stops being her fundamentally.

In the average GURPS game or with the wrong group, yeah it wouldn't work.
>>
Why are Dexterity and Intelligence more expensive than strength and health?
>>
>>54927001
They're more powerful.
>>
>>54927001
Many skills are based on them. If DX and IQ were cheaper, raising the base attributes often would be cheaper than training up individual skills.
>>
>>54927001
They boost way more skills.
>>
>>54927001
DX and IQ control (nearly) every physical and mental skill in the game respectively. A +1 to either sees a jump in competency across the board. Pricing them at 10/level means there's almost no reason to invest for than two points in any skill. Conversely, ST shouldn't be bumped up to 20/level because its effects are less noticeable and higher levels of ST are required to get the same oomph.
>>
>>54927001
skills, mostly
a lot of skills are based off of IQ or DX, and it's already more efficient to raise one of those two attributes to affect 5-20 skills (based on their respective levels) rather than it is to individually raise each skill.
IQ also affects two different derived stats in addition to all that, and DX affects BS.

>>54925647
>Wow the responses you are getting are really odd.
because he's already mentioned that his DM is unaccepting of the concept, >>54892577
>>
>>54922730
The Power Grappling perk.
>>
>>54924736
Woot, I know where my weekend just went
>>
>>54929075
Anyone know any GURPS game that I could spectate so I can learn he mechanics?
>>
>>54929109
Ignore that quote.
>>
>>54855007
How do you use gurps powers for superhero comics style damage? IE: you can punch through walls, but your punches (while strong) aren't blowing holes in people?
>>
>>54929221
You can hold back your punches, you know. Superman never punches people at full force.
>>
>>54929236
Perhaps so. But I'm asking if anybody has pointers for attacks that do more damage to inanimate objects
>>
>>54929262
Breaking Blow + Power Blow are good places to start. Power Ups: Enhancements lets you add Armor Divisor and such to your fists, which I assume you can place an Accessibility (Only against objects, -40%) limitation on. Or you can just buy a really, really, really powerful Innate Attack. You could also crack open GURPS Supers and read about Super Strength and Ultrapower and such.
>>
>>54929300
Thanks, man! Appreciate it.

I like that there's several possible approaches
>>
>>54929408
That's GURPS in general. Many possible approaches to almost everything. Good luck with your game/character/theorycrafting.

>>54929109
Check out Mook's Discord. You can google "mook gurps blog" and find it pretty easily. Lots of games on there that you can ask to spectate.
>>
>>54929221
Don't punch people if you have very high ST, instead use one handed Shoves to throw them around.
>>
>>54923287
-23% for pretty much everything.
The only bad thing is that it's only until August 21st.
Time to throw some money.
>>
>>54929439
>game / character/ theorycrafting
Campaign brainstorming.

Just bought basic set/lowtech/hightech/powers/thaumatology/martialarts/fantasy; playing with ideas trying to decide what to run with it as i read through the books.
>>
>>54930323
Pick no more than two books in addition to Powers and Martial Arts, with GURPS less is more as a more focused campaign keeps people on the same wavelength and keeps you from having to look through multiple books.
>>
>>54930429
I'll probably copy paste the stuff I use beyond basic set (maybe even beyond gurps lite) from the pdfs into a single document.

Simple referencing that way.

But i agree, the less cross referencing, the smoother things will go.
>>
File: 91Zx8ocB9oL._SL1500_.jpg (340KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
91Zx8ocB9oL._SL1500_.jpg
340KB, 1500x1500px
What, in GURPS terms, does soda count as? It isn't water, it isn't a Meal (as GURPS defines it) and I hesitate to label it a Sports Drink (a la High-Tech).
>>
>>54932078
It is what it is IRL.
Shit.
>>
>>54932078
First off, caring about what a coke counts as is dumb. Second, you can treat it as a snack (HT35) but for dehydration, e.g. you can drink it to stave off temporary dehydration but it fucks you two hours later.
>>
>>54932078
It's calories. A typical 12 ounce soda clocks in at about 145 kCal and counts as about 1/5th of a 'meal' in GURPS terms, though you'd have problems with nutrition if you deiced to just live off of 15 a day.

Weight wise, it's not as concentrated as the pemmican or ration bars you get buying trail rations, but instead comes in the 'food' heading.

In an After The End game, I'd say non-spoiled coke could count as valuable trade fodder around people that remember the taste and miss it.
>>
>>54932174
Sodas aren't anywhere near salty enough to cause dehydration. The idea that soda and coffee dehydrate people is an old wives tale.
>>
>>54932204
Roll your Propaganda or Public Speaking, whichever is higher.
>>
>>54924736
Leaks when? Or are you going to be a good boy and wait until the physical products ship?
>>
>>54924736
Is the DFRPG Companion coming out as a PDF?
>>
>>54932283
The idea that caffine causes dehydration comes from a single study done in 1928 with a sample size of 3 subjects and wasn't methodologically sound.

Recent research has consistently found that there is no difference in fluid levels between people who drink caffeinated drinks as their primary source of fluids and those who don't. This even holds true in the case of studies that used much larger sample sizes and controlled the diets of the subjects.

It does nothing that affects hydration other than possibly make you pee slightly more than usual.
>>
>>54932451
>It does nothing that affects hydration other than possibly make you pee slightly more than usual.
AHA! I was right to distrust the devil's piss. Thank you, anon, for validating my opinion.
>>
>>54855007
What combat style would you use for Mizongyi Wushu (As in Jet-Li's "Fearless"/ Huo Yuanjia)?
>>
>>54932955
Very broadly, Shaolin Kung Fu, though that's kind of a copout. Mostly what you see in the movie is Northern Long Fist (Well, it's a Jet Lee movie!) and other Northern Shaolin styles.
>>
>>54933221
And if I wanted it to be less based on the movie and more on the actual martial art practiced by Huo Yuanjia?
>>
>>54933271

Hsing I Chuan, with a greater focus on deceptive attacks and fents. Full cinematic if you want to play the legend, or you could play closer to the likely truth with moderate/mid skill levels and a few levels of Fearless to show a willingness to use Committed and All Out Attacks to win vs stronger opponents.
>>
>>54933396
Thanks man, very helpful.
>>
>>54855007
So, I was looking for settings written up for 4e GURPS.

Came across this one for star wars: http://members.upc.nl/l.deckers3/pdf/GURPS%204th%20-%20Star%20Wars%20Sourcebook%20(2009-06-11).pdf

Does anybody happen to have any other GURPS setting writeups that are worthwhile? I like to collect this sort of thing to be able to just pick something up and run it.
>>
>>54934186
https://wiki.rpg.net/index.php/List_of_unofficial_GURPS_Netbooks
>>
>>54934186
I'm partial to Vorkosigan Saga and Discworld. But it's because I love both book sèries.
>>
Guys, what historical era of naval warship design should I base the spaceships in my tactical spaceship combat game on?
>>
>>54934762
3rd century AD.
>>
>>54934762
So many good options..

1) Age of Sail. Ships of the Line turn broadside to enemies, maneuvering to avoid shots to the vulnerable front or back. When battle lines reach and pass each other battles become more chaotic and can involve boarding.

2) Pre-Dreadnought. Battleships and armored cruisers trade fire with a few heavy guns and collections of secondary batteries, filling the area around them with shells while lesser ships attempt to land hits with slow, unguided torpedoes. Damage control teams race to seal compartments and prevent fires from spreading or the ship from flooding (venting, in the case of a spaceship, one supposes).

3) Punic Wars. Ships with limited ranged weapons maneuver to ram foes with reinforced prows, then assault and attack with marines. Battles in some ways resemble ground battles, but are very chaotic. Fighting back the desperate crew of a doomed ship trying to board you after a successful ramming attack, for example.
>>
I don't get the skills.

Like, i have 13 dex and want to buy climbing. How to i know how expensive it is?
>>
How do I model the Pact Of The Tome Warlock's casting in DnD 5E.

They have 2 spells they can cast per day, but a long list of spells that they can cast for free as a "ritual" which always takes 15 min and doesn't use a spell slot.
>>
>>54935748
Skills aren't binary "you're trained or you're not" things. Skills have relative levels like having Climbing at DX+4 or Occultism at IQ-1, and the more points you put in, the higher that bonus or relative level gets. The only cap is the GM and how many points you have.

Skills do have difficulties, which are sort of like costs and are listed right after the name e.g. Climbing should have "DX/Average" underneath it, showing that it's usually DX-based and is of Average difficulty. The skill difficulty affects how quickly your relative level rises; 4 points in an Easy skill brings it to Attribute+2 while 4 points in a Very Hard skills brings it to Attribute-1. The table on page 170 of Characters spells all that out.

Since you have DX 13, you only need to invest a few points in a DX skill to get it to a competent and adventure-worthy level of 12-16. That final skill level is what's important, and what you should shoot for depends on the sort of campaign your GM is running--a swordsman in a low fantasy game probably won't exceed Broadsword-16 unless he's supposed to be world famous because a skill of 16 is a competent professional's level and the setting leans towards the plausible, but a high fantasy swashbuckler would be embarrassed to start at anything lower than Saber-22 because the setting is over-the-top adventure staring some big damn heroes even if they're unknown schlubs that reek of crypt dust and monster guts.

>tl;dr use the table on page 170 to find your skill levels based on the amount of points invested and the skill's difficulty. Add the modifier to the relevant attribute to get your final skill level. Check with your GM and example characters/templates to find what skill level you need to shoot for.
>>
>>54935891
Do you want to covert the mechanics 1:1 or do you want to covert the general theme or feel of the class? The former would be probably build spells as advantages and slap on Limited Use and take the same spell but with Preparation Required as an Alternate Ability at 1/5 the cost. The later is just using Ritual Path Magic/Incantation Magic as-is because the systems already support slow ritual casting and preparing a limited number of quick-use spells ahead of time.
>>
>>54935891
>How do I make a paladin smites?
>How do I make a sneak attack?
>How do I make bardsong?
>How do I make turn undead?
>How do I barbarian rage?

Fuck DND and it's goddamn arcadey, gamist mechanic, pant on head retarded ""'class features""". Half of getting people into something else like gurps is explaining to them how DnD jammed dumb shit up their ass for so long they can spit autism like a second saliva
>>
>>54936018
ENJOY OUR GURPS DUNGEON FANTASY IS MOSLTY THE SAME THING AS D&D SO FOR NEWBIES IS BETTER TO START WITH IT MUTHAFUCKA
>>
>>54935963

Thanks anon. I think I'll go for Ritual Path Magic to be honest, as those spells are useless in combat so I can have a pretty clear separation.

Is GURPS Magic worth it? I have DF 1; DF Clerics; DF Barbarians; Martial Arts; Powers; Powers: Divine Favor so far (after the sale yesterday. I'll pirate just to preview read but I feel better supporting the authors).
>>54936018
>>54936103

I've already converted Barbarian Rage with help of the DF:Barbarians supplement. I'm in the process of moving our 5E campaign to GURPS precisely because I'm sick of some of the decisions. Also I have an annoying ass player I always have to do homebrew for to get their character concept right, which is really highlighting where the system falls apart.
>>
>>54936244
>Is GURPS Magic worth it? I have DF 1; DF Clerics; DF Barbarians; Martial Arts; Powers; Powers: Divine Favor so far (after the sale yesterday. I'll pirate just to preview read but I feel better supporting the authors).

Oh I also have RPM as well already. Haven't got round to reading it yet, just skimmed.
>>
File: gurps f ya.jpg (64KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
gurps f ya.jpg
64KB, 500x500px
>>54936244
>. I'm in the process of moving our 5E campaign to GURPS precisely because I'm sick of some of the decisions
Doing gods work anon
>>
>>54932078
It's a stimulant. Has caffeine and sugar in it, helps give you a minor temp FP boosts in situations where coffee is unpalatable or unavailable.
>>
>>54936018
>Fuck DND and it's goddamn arcadey, gamist mechanic, pant on head retarded ""'class features""".
Never played DnD (outside of a single session I didn't do anything in) At the risk of derailing the thread, what is different from the skills you just listed and say the True Faith advantage from GURPS which is functionally Turn Undead?

I get the gripes against class based systems but I've never delved into the problems of what makes DnD bad outside of the most voiced problem between casters and martials. I guess I'm just asking what is your specific complaint with respect to the skills you listed.
>>
>>54932332
I think I heard that is the case.
>>54932308
No leaks. ;3;3;3;3;3
>>
>>54936018
>How do I make a paladin smites?
Innate Attack
>How do I make a sneak attack?
DF: Ninjas has it as Striking ST with limitations
>How do I make bardsong?
Enthrallment skills from BS
>How do I make turn undead?
Innate Attack
>How do I barbarian rage?
DF: Barbarians explains it
>>
Another 5E -> GURPS q.

How would I represent dorfs being naturally able to carry more (specifically able to wear heavier armor). Just more STR? Is there some way to increase BL without upping STR?
>>
>>54936890
Pretty sure there is an advantage that allows you to carry better. Carrying STR o something like that.
>>
>>54936890

Our cleric is more of a war cleric, and is wearing heavy armor. He has quite high strength as is, but it leaves him a bit point starved. But on the other hand I suppose I can give him more disadvantages as he's a pious dude.
>>
>>54936900

Found it. Lifting Str (b65)
>>
>>54936244
If you're keeping other casters as-is and using standard magic for wizards and clerics and the like, yes, Magic is required as it bumps the spell count WAY up. DF19: Incantation Magic is the DF version of RPM, which would make your warlock fit easier.
>>
>>54937192
>If you're keeping other casters as-is and using standard magic for wizards and clerics and the like, yes, Magic is required as it bumps the spell count WAY up. DF19: Incantation Magic is the DF version of RPM, which would make your warlock fit easier.

Cool, I'll see if I can grab both of them as well. Am quite lucky as I only have a cleric as full caster.
>>
>>54936748
I prefer to do sneak attack using AoA Strong and Telegraphic Attack combined with Slayer Training to target a good hit location, rather than "Striking ST (only when sneaking)".
>>
>>54937273
Don't forget three turns of Evaluation from the shadows! Assuming we have a sneak that's a competent but not spectacular fighter with Shortsword-12 + 3 (Evaluation) + 4 (Telegraphic), we could AoA (Strong) to the vitals at effective Shortsword-16. If the torso is armored, we could instead AoA (Determined) for a swing at the throat and still be dangerous without Targeted Attack/Slayer Training. That's not even getting into the tricky stuff with grapples!
>>
>>54937402
Don't forget AoA (Determined) to the skull, for that delicious swing damage and knockdown roll with -10 penalty.
>>
>>54937402
Agreed. The main problem I have with Striking ST (only when unobserved) is that it just doesn't make sense. "I can hit harder, but only when nobody is looking." It's like the invisible kid in "Mystery Men". Also, it would be impossible to teach by demonstration. :)
>>
>>54937887
Well, that just enters the trope of 'Some things cannot be taught, only learned.' being smugly lectured to your character by whoever trained them.
>>
>>54937887
It's an abstraction that I can excuse purely on the grounds of practicality. It's real downside is how worse a point or two of ST are compared to wound multipliers like hit locations.
>>
>>54937998
I think DF does use hit locations, but it does not include Telegraphic Attack by default. This means most sneak attacks are going to be relying on AoA (Determined) to hit tricky spots; Striking ST is there to fill that gap.
>>
>>54938041
You might be right. But MA has become a natural extension for almost all gurps games for me, so I sometimes forget it's not part of the default.
>>
>>54938041
Slayer Training (DF 11, IIRC) helps offset the penalty on those tricky spots, too.
>>
>>54937998
"Hitting harder when nobody is looking" is already covered by AoA (Determined) plus Telegraphic Attack to vitals/neck/skull. Striking ST (only for ganking) is redundant.
>>
>>54938246
You are mistaken, it is not meant to replace those rules, but rather augment them. I agree it feels pointless when you could just buy more skill to get those tricky hits in.
>>
How does Follow Up Attack work? Say I hit with a weapon, do I immediately roll the follow up Attack's damage? Is it a second attack?
>>
>>54938443
The former. A Linked attack is a separate roll. A Follow-Up is automatic, and it bypasses DR if the initial attack got through.
>>
>>54938279
Fair enough. But IMO, it does a poor job of augmenting them and has a flimsy rationale, even for DF. I mean, it's not even like Power Blow, where you concentrate, summon and focus your Chi, and then smash the hell out of something. It's "Since my intended victim is unaware, my muscles are slightly stronger."
>>
>>54938503
It's also worth noting that, because DF isn't retarded and doesn't limit "hitting people in a vital spot" to rogues targeting unaware foes, they needed to do something to maintain the D&Dism that is Rogue's Sneak Attack. If a swordsman can stab in the throat as well as a thief in GURPS and indeed can do it better due to higher general skill levels and ST, you need to start reaching to maintain that niche protection.
>>
>>54938568
Just give them Stealth-20 and let them hide mid combat, just like Assassin in Action.
>>
>>54938568
I'm with you on DF not being retarded, and I'm glad that non-rogues can target vital spots. A swordsman should be able to stab someone in the throat as well or better than a thief if they've put in the practice time. But that thief was also training climbing, picking pockets, picking locks, sneaking, socializing, and a ton of other things. Rogues can maintain their niche protection for ganking by being better at Stealth and using poisons. I don't envision a typical swordsman doing as many Sneak Attacks as a rogue, either, since the swordsman is probably better equipped in terms of skills and ST to handle combat in a more conventional way. tl,dr Rogues are more than Sneak Attack.
>>
>>54938798
They are and they aren't. They have a bunch of traits, but the one that seems to stick with people the most is the sneak attack, probably because HURR BIG NUMBERS and D&D being so combat-focused. A stealthy skill monkey is 90% Rogue, but since DF aims to be GURPS: D&D, it also needs to emulate the iconic but crummy last 10%.
>>
>>54938977
You're right. I just dream of a world where the crummy part isn't emulated, but is improved upon instead.
>>
>>54939343
Play normal gurps.
>>
>>54939343
It is improved in normal GURPS. It's still kinda crummy in DF because it's trying to bridge the gap between GURPS and D&D.
>>
>>54939471
>>54939521
I know. That's why I leave out Striking ST (only against unaware victim), because it's crummy, and doesn't belong, IMO. I'd have less objection to it if it had a power modifier to justify why the rogue is stronger when unobserved, but "just because" doesn't cut it for me.
>>
>>54939728
It's stronger because the victim is unaware and can't make any defenses. It represents taking the time to hit something vital or an unprotected chink in armor.

Of course, there are already other advantages, skills, and techniques in GURPS to handle that.
>>
>>54937402
>Don't forget three turns of Evaluation from the shadows!
Yes, forget it. MA113:
>The +4 to hit doesn’t “stack” with the bonus for Evaluate, either. You can combine it with all other combat options.
>>
>>54939843
Yes, I stated that here. >>54938246
>>
You could substitute the striking st (behind only) for a special technique/tacit unusual background and say that thieves can learn the technique for swinging at a neck and thrusting at vitals to the +0 level, but only from behind. The special setup requirement means it is either 6 or 8 points to hit both locations with one weapon from behind... you could then have a leveled version of the powerup that does similar but also cuts any DR in half.
>>
>>54941124
That has merit. And precedence, since swashbucklers can get something similar in DF Swashbucklers.
>>
>>54936018
Build them using powers.
>>
>>54936552
More player decisions that are not character decisions than some people would prefer.
>>
Which books are recommended for magic users?
>>
>>54941169
>>54941124
Forgot that the neck is -7 from behind, so it is actually probably 2 more points, so 8 or 10, depending on if being totally behind a character and not seen is worth +2 or +1 for the technique. Then they put on unusual training perk(s) so that might be two more perks, making it 10 or 12 points, all told, to be allowed to attack neck or vitals from behind with no penalty; and an additional 20 points makes it halve DR for Chinks in Armor, no penalty.
>>
>>54942295
Sorcery or ritual path magic.

Personally I prefer sorcery.
>>
How does my wizard look? any suggestions?

ST 8 / DX 10 / IQ / 15 / HT 10
magery 3, combat reflexes, literacy

Reverse missiles
Force dome
Force Wall
Utter Dome
Utter Wall
Major Healing
Mage hand
Throw Spell
Rain of fire
Perfect illusion
hang spell
Apportation
Teleport
Create food
create fire
Create water
create air
shape earth
>>
>>54943257
>ST 8
Bad idea, unless it's racial. Reduced stats count towards disadvantage limit, so you are better off getting 20 points worth of some other disadvs. And do note - there is no such thing as "dump stat" in GURPS.
>>
>>54943396
Our GM doesnt count stat decreases towards the limit, so I have social stigma (-15), Bad Temper (-10), sense of duty: friends (-5), Klutz (-5), youth (-6) plus quirks (-5)
>>
>>54943513
He gon learn the hard way then.
>>
>>54943513
-15 in social stigma? Did you rape someone in the town square?
>>
>>54943935
No, that's fifteen points, not 15 ranks in it. As a minor, he gets -5 off the bat. Being a spellcaster is probably worth another -10 points.
Thread posts: 327
Thread images: 32

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.