[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What jobs do children in your setting?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

File: SC78663.jpg (191KB, 1181x1600px) Image search: [Google]
SC78663.jpg
191KB, 1181x1600px
What jobs do children in your setting?
>>
>>54850396
Depends on the Kingdom, or province they're in.
>>
>>54850396
RUIN THE ECONOMY WITH THEIR ENTITLEMENT AND LACK OF WORK ETHIC!

IN MY DAYS.........
>>
Jizz moppers at the church brothels. The disgust and irritation get tied to scent memory so the little shits don't wind up pregnant at 13.
>>
I try not to think about what does children when I'm coming up with a setting. Bad juju.
>>
>>54850396

The particular part of the kingdom relies heavily on trade and fishing so a number of various tasks and jobs associated with that typically apprenticing under fisherman and sailors and shipwrights and dock foremen. Women typically run actual businesses such as stores and resturants so girls typically find themselves working as shopkeeps or learning to cook or training to become nannys based on one's financial means.

Otherwise you join the church as an aspirant or, if orphaned, you have a chance to join the Pearl Knights who are "children of the church" and act as bodyguards and enforcers.
>>
File: 1367609274022.png (3KB, 203x209px) Image search: [Google]
1367609274022.png
3KB, 203x209px
>>54850396
Prostitution.
>>
If you are not a squire for a knight before 12, you are useless for anything but career in the church.
>>
>>54850396
Prostitution
>>
>What jobs do children in your setting?

I mean sometimes it's the camp counselors, but mostly just the pastors.
>>
>>54850396
Children are sometimes paid to run around a city street, promoting a certain store or inn with their yelling. Certain cities have made this illegal, as it is extremely annoying when 5 or so kids are trying to out-promote each other.
>>
>>54850396
Lots. The average age of people is down substantially after the end of the world. Kids make up the majority of tribal activity, acting as warriors, scouts, hunters, gatherers, farming where they can and what they can, and doing everything else you can think of.
>>
>>54850651
>the two careers are knight entourage and pro-prayer
what do people eat
>>
Drummer boy, stable boy, cabin boy, errand boy, etc.
>>
>>54851403
The flesh and blood of their enemies.
>>
>>54851403

Peasants are not people.
>>
>>54850396
Lookout. Mage's apprentice, hell, apprentice to just about anyone. Academics. Prodigies who learn teleportation early on can make a living as a smuggler or honest transporter.

Also, major role: Interpreter for angels.

An adult sees wheels within wheels with eyes that hold galaxies of holy fire, and runs away screaming in terror.

To little Jenna, that's just Mr. Raz, silly!

They tell the girl, the girl tells the clergy, and depending on the message, there is relief or freaking out.

Oh, and... don't hurt the interpreter unless you want several beings of pure holy "FUCK YOU" ripping you apart atom by atom.
>>
>>54851464
Yup, I feel like I have to point this out to every paladin and white knight in all my games.
thankfully the DM throws an angry mob at the beginning of every game so that the paladin in can bludgeon a scared peasant or two before the "victim" reaches his/her final form.
>>
File: Guillotine cards_edited-1.jpg (423KB, 1600x560px) Image search: [Google]
Guillotine cards_edited-1.jpg
423KB, 1600x560px
>>54850396
Oh you know, the usual.
>>
>>54851403
Children who couldn't hack it in the church.
>>
>>54850396
>Children
>Job
Your setting must be really grim if kids are allowed to work, not to mention having to.

Pro-tip: there is no point making a game setting that goes into all the shit historical elements, unless you seriously want to have shit historical element in it.
>>
>>54853277
>Your setting must be really grim if kids are allowed to work, not to mention having to.
Well, considering that about 80% of all children today work, and that they did work in virtually all societies across all of human history and cultures... yeah.

Unless you setting has basically reached post-enlightement social and political and philosophical order, children should be working. And what is the fun in exploring different societies, based in different eras and different mindsets, if you are going to sanitize it and force in modern 20th century secularist rationalist mindset in anyway.
>>
>>54851422
Rent boy?
>>
>>54853402
>I-if they work that's not bad!

Nice logic.
And last thing I want in running an escapism fantasy about heroes and adventurers in high-fantasy setting is reminder about child labour, diseases, filth and so on and forth.

And as far as it goes with your "should" argument:
Why should a king be called a king in a setting without Charlemagne?

Works better in original Polish, but the point remains - you are NOT (unless you explicitly do, that is) running a real world historical setting. So why doing the biggest autism imaginable and start talking about historical/real world situations?
Do you really cared about what children do in LOTR or didn't even bothered to think about it, because that had absolutely nothing to do with the story?
>>
>>54853468
Holy shit, why are you so butt hurt?
>>
>>54850396
I guess it depends on their social status:
>Kids of the Conglomerate Houses do fuck all, they are mega-rich and have their almost omnipotent family backing them, so there is nothing TO do. Maybe they help out their relatives sometimes to get a feel on how to be entitled assholes.
>eXec kids do school like crazy, no time for jobs. Maybe get some sort of assistant job later on when they grew older, so that they can take a taste of the most thankless existence that is being an eXec.
>hiCaste kids most likely do high-profile jobs like being child models or starting minor enterprises like selling lemonade.
>midCaste kids try do some honest work ASAP, so that they can build up their career early and thus have a better chance at ascending to hiCaste/eXec.
>loCaste kids do whatever they can to support their families and earn their own living, and will most likely do the same shitty jobs as their fellow caste members.
>outCaste kids do outCaste things, so drudge, do crime, scavenge, and engage in other unsavory activities.

Also, Lunar kids are unlikely to do any jobs, regardless of social status, because do you really think a Lunar would dirty their hands with fucking work? LOL.

Venusian kids would be similarly easy on jobs, they are too busy having their existential crisis and being generally useless, no time to work.
>>
>>54853468
Nobody is talking about what is good or bad. I'm not saying that kids should work in our society or world.
I'm saying that it's stupid to impose our personal societal conventions on worlds explicitly dreamt up to visit different societies, cultures and eras.

>heroes and adventurers in high-fantasy setting is reminder about child labour, diseases, filth and so on and forth.
Well, you are a pussy then, but OK. if you NEED sanitized fiction, go and knock yourself up. Just don't be fucking surprised that most people don't see it the same way.

>Why should a king be called a king in a setting without Charlemagne?
Yes. The concept of a king is not defined by Charlemagne. We routinely talk about kings of Asia and Africa (haha memes) and Middle East.

>you are NOT (unless you explicitly do, that is) running a real world historical setting.
No, but most people like to still consider basic real-world logic in their fiction. Usually it's because they find real-world notion of different eras and cultures appealing.

>So why doing the biggest autism imaginable and start talking about historical/real world situations?
"biggest autism". It's actually called coherence and belivability, and speculative fiction - the foundation of world-building. Just because it offends your delicate pussy senses does not mean that everybody who enjoys it is an autist.

>Do you really cared about what children do in LOTR or didn't even bothered to think about it, because that had absolutely nothing to do with the story?
Ignoring that LOTR is really not build around speculative fiction... The fact that the story does not tell us this thing does not mean there should not be an answer.

>>54853709
He is a pussy and he can't handle his delicate moral and aesthetic sensibilities being relativized by, well, reality.
>>
>>54853709
Because nu/tg/'s insistence that realism is the way to go is counterpoint to the reasons we play these games in the first place, anon.
>>
>>54853752
No, you are just an insecure fucking retard who STILL has not learned the difference between belivability and realism, and who feels personally offended and intimidated by people enjoying fiction with more complexity or nuance than you do, which is what made you delusional and feel like there is an evil "nu-/v/" conspiracy trying to hurt your precious sensibilities.
>>
>>54850651
Solid economy.
>>
>>54853769
....I hate to tell you this, but I am not the person you're referring to. i'm just pointing out that escapism is a valid reason for not wanting realism in games we play.
>>
>>54853847
But not a valid reason to lie about existence of evil generation of people conspiring to ruin the medium. Or to be ignorant of the difference between realism and belivability.
>>
>>54853752

Not everyone plays these games for the same reason, anon.
>>
>>54850396
Prostitution, mostly.
>>
>>54850635
>Pathfinder Tijuana
>>
>>54850635
Came here to post this
>>
File: guaranteed.png (74KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
guaranteed.png
74KB, 1024x1024px
>>54850635
>>
>>54850396
Being shipped off to the colonies to die like the pests they are.
>>
>>54853769
Nice anon. You replied to someone else to berate them for my comment, while also missing the whole fucking point that not only I've made, but the other guy made too.
>>
>>54855338
Not him, but if you are not playing games for entertainment and human interaction, then there is something seriously wrong with you.
>>
>>54850690
>turf war between kids no one days seriously until real shit goes down
>but they still gotta get back home and into bed before sunset

I'm into this. I'm using this.
>>
>>54853966
I actually wonder now - from where the fuck you've take those?
Because they are definitely NOT in my post.
>>
>>54856421

How did you reach that conclusion? I play for human interaction and entertaining too. Is it so difficult to grasp that some people prefer more or less realism? That some people prefer more cynical or heroic settings? That some people may or may not want to play heroes?
>>
>>54850396
depends on the setting. What setting are we talking about here, OP?
>>
In my despotic lands children are state raised, given education and are indoctrinated.

We may be running an evil empire, but its an efficient strong empire.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.