[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 378
Thread images: 29

File: 1501754640399.jpg (183KB, 1159x690px) Image search: [Google]
1501754640399.jpg
183KB, 1159x690px
>Unearthed Arcana: Three-Pillar Experience
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ThreePillarXP.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
>>54842699

Have you ever played without a bard/cleric/druid (i.e. full healer)? How did that go?
>>
>>54849395
....Sithrak?
>>
>>54849395
>bard
>full healer
lul
>>
>>54849424
He is the best god. All praise Sithrak!

>>54849395
That would make for unbelievably brutal combats and low survivability.
>>
>>54849424
Looks like it, yup.
>>
I'm in a game where we rolled our stats in order and chose a class later. (And before you cry Shit DM we all agreed to it before hand.)

Since we had two wizards, a fighter, a ranger, and a warlock, we had a single half-caster to rely on. I've noticed we've found a suspicious amount of potions everywhere in this particular campaign, and our GM is dropping hints that our rampant potion addiction may be having long-term health side effects
>>
>>54849439
I've actually played a Bard healer character once because we lacked a Paladin, Druid and Cleric. We had me, the Gnome Bard, a Goliath Barbarian, a Dragonborn Fighter, a Drow Warlock and a Dwarf Rogue. It was a weird campaign. Lose of near TPK experiences.
>>
>>54849439
>Has Cure Wounds
>Full caster
Uh... yeah?
>>
>>54849477
>All praise Sithrak!
He seems like a nice guy, he was just really angry when he wrote that.
>>
>>54849493
That's not even close to what a full healer is, lmao
>>
>>54849509
Saying "lmao" and "lul" isn't an argument
Why do you think a bard can't heal as well as a druid? Or do you think literally only the cleric can be a healer?
>>
File: 56encounters.jpg (69KB, 402x144px) Image search: [Google]
56encounters.jpg
69KB, 402x144px
do you anons follow this rule, or nah?
>>
>>54849395
I'm DMing a game for a human barb, an aasimar rogue, a human sorc, and a human paladin who forgets he has healing.

So that'll be fun.
>>
>>54849535
I didn't say Bards can't be healers, just that they're not full healers. Full healers have class features that give more or better healing. Bards and Druids to not have these, so are not full healers.
>>
>>54849539
Considering the monsters and classes are balanced for that, I try to.
>>
>>54849395
I'm making a GOO warlock for a group that I'm fairly sure will lack a dedicated healer. It's looking like it will be me, a fighter, two rangers, and an unknown whom I do not expect to choose a healer class.

Are we boned?
>>
>>54849484
Speaking of me playing Bards. I really wish Dirgesingers were playable in some way. I miss my Aerenal Elf Dirgesinger/Cleric of the Undying Court
>>
>>54849539
Assuming we're including random encounters that aren't combat...still no.
>>
>>54849553
Then I disagree with your definition. Having a category that only includes one class is meaningless.
In 5e, if you can throw a healing word every round and patch people up automatically when they go down, you're as much of a healer as any party needs.

>>54849482
I like this approach. Make up for a deficiency but also turn it into a roleplaying opportunity.
>>
Rate my storm sorc spell list, 5eg?

Ice Knife
Chromatic Orb

Shatter
Hold Person (swap for Hold Monster)
Warding Wind (swap for control winds)

Fly (ditch when I can fly normally)
Lightning Bolt
Haste

Greater Invisibility

Control Winds
Cone of Cold
Hold Monster

Chain Lightning
Disintegrate

Prismatic Spray

Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting or Sunburst (looking for recommendations)

Wish
>>
>>54849579
Playing in 5e without a dedicated healer can be really brutal especially if you're low levels. Someone might actually need to be a healer for you all to survive combats.
>>
>>54849604
Just realized I miscounted. Might take both 8th-level spells, or maybe Plane Shift.

Yeah, Plane Shift could be good.
>>
>>54849592
>Having a category that only includes one class is meaningless
It includes Clerics and Paladins, which are the only full healer classes in 5e. Why do you not agree with this?
If all you need to be a full healer is Cure Wounds or Healing Word, then literally any class with Magic Initiate can be. The ability to heal at all doesn't make you a full healer. If it did, then what the fuck do you define as a healer that ISN'T a full healer?
>>
>>54849604
Seems fine. You have different types of pewpew and some basic utility.
I'm not sure about Wish as your only level 9 spell. It's not really a "once a day spell." Unless you're just using it to duplicate other spells, of course.
>>
>>54849477
Praise him all you want, it won't do any good!
>>
>>54849647
Paladins have half spellcasting progression. There's no way they output more healing than druids.
...is there?
>>
>>54849652
>Seems fine. You have different types of pewpew and some basic utility.
That was the goal. We have a druid so I'm not too concerned about ultimate utility.
>Unless you're just using it to duplicate other spells, of course.
That was the plan, since I can do anything with it.

Give me a year and I will make an army of clones!

Any other 9th-level sorc spells that you like? I'm open to feedback here.
>>
>>54849668
In the end, we all stand at the feet of Kelemvor.
>>
>>54849671
They can do 5*level healing through contact. It's not match for spell slots, but it helps.
>>
>>54849671
Lay on Hands is a healing pool equal to 5 x Paladin level in addition to Cure Wounds. Paladins outpace Druid healing until level 11 when Druids get Heal, but surpasses it again at level 15 when Lay on Hands reaches 75.
>>
>>54849702
I always felt the list was extremely and unreasonably limited. I suppose Meteor Swarm tickles my fancy more than the others, generally speaking, but Wish really is the most versatile.

>>54849715
Paladins outpace Druid healing on a single turn. That's not remotely enough to sustain a party through a day of adventuring.
Lay on Hands is no substitute for slots with which to cast Cure Wounds. And paladins have those too, of course... just a lot fewer, and of lower level, so they're not as effective at sustained healing.
>>
File: expanded.png (259KB, 500x502px) Image search: [Google]
expanded.png
259KB, 500x502px
I'm trying to make a Charlatan background Monk who pulls a lot of cons and schemes, and performs Sleight of Hand like a dream. High Charisma is a must. Background gives me Sleight of Hand and Deception, and I'd pick Stealth and Insight from the class. Which of the following do you think would be my best bet? (stat increases from feats are included)

V. Human 8/15/14/10/12/16 with the Silver-Tongued feat for double proficiency to Deception and attack-substitute deception attempts ("If your check succeeds, your movement doesn’t provoke opportunity attacks from the target and your attack rolls against it have advantage; both benefits last until the end of your next turn or until you use this ability on a different target. If your check fails, the target can’t be deceived by you in this way for 1 hour.")

V. Human 8/16/14/10/12/15 with the Quick Fingered feat for double proficiency to Sleight of Hand and bonus action shake-ups (As a bonus action, you can...plant something on someone else, conceal an object on a creature, lift a purse, or take something from a pocket.")

Half-Elf 8/16/13/10/13/16 with Persuasion and Perception as bonus skills?
>>
>>54849735
Even so, a Druid using all their slots on healing is a waste of Druid spells. They are not designed to be a dedicated healer like a Cleric or Paladin can be.
>>
>>54849762
You might as well say a paladin wasting their spell slots on not smiting is a waste of paladin spell slots.
I'd argue druids can afford to spend more on healing without sacrificing other spells because they have more to work with.
>>
File: walt2.png (108KB, 290x280px) Image search: [Google]
walt2.png
108KB, 290x280px
>>54849760

>which should i play as, the most overpowered race in the game or the second-most overpowered race in the game

variant humans and half-elves were mistakes
>>
Do you just call elves, humans and dwarves "humanoids"? Isn't there a better term to refer to them?
>>
>>54849792

"people" can probably be used in the broad sense. "folk" if you wanna get colloquial. "humanoid" would just be the scientific or taxonomic term.
>>
>>54849780
A Paladin can heal and do Paladin things thanks to Lay on Hands.
A Druid can't heal and do Druid things very effectively because healing takes up their spell slots.
>>
>>54849792
humans, elves, dwarves, and halflings are the Common Races. I'm fairly sure most of the playable races in 5e are humanoids, so.

You could call them "normal" but you'd probably make everyone else mad.

>>54849810
Goodberry slot efficiency is pretty good at low levels though, and conjuring dryads is even better later. If you don't mind all of your healing being out-of-combat you're better at it than a Cleric at level one iirc.
>>
>>54849792
There are humans and demi-humans (elves, dwarves, halflings...)
>>
>>54849839
>If you don't mind all of your healing being out-of-combat
Unfortunately the #1 priority for any kind of healing is reviving unconscious allies, so good out-of-combat healing isn't really a benchmark for an effective healer
>>
Any tips for a spy type bard?
>>
>>54850131
play college of satire for the crazy mobility and free casts of Detect Thoughts
>>
>>54850174
No homebrew allowed sadly.
>>
>>54850189
Homebrew/UA*
>>
I haven't played much, and am working up the backstory for my character. I want him to have a history in alchemy and the guild artisan background gets him the proficiency and alchemy kit but doesn't really fit the character.

Would you simply re-fluff the background's mechanics to fit the character's story? Or is there perhaps a better way to go about this and I'm an idiot?

I feel like Charlatan or Sage will fit better, I just don't see a good way to get the alchemy stuff. Am I expecting to do too much with a starting character?
>>
>>54850310
Make a custom background there's guideline right before the backgrounds.
>>
>>54849604
Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting is not worth an 8th level slot (unless you or someone else has undead minions). Take Dominate Monster instead, and you can even twin it.
>>
>>54850324
Oh, shit. Then the answer to "Am I an idiot?" was yes all along.

Thanks!
>>
Open hand for guaranteed pushback or trip luls or kensei for damage luls?
>>
>>54850390
Way of the knife asshole for knife luls
>>
>>54850393
Tried that, one shot everything, got boring.
>>
>>54849782
They shouldn't have made ordinary human the most boring one in the book.

>Elves don't need sleep, get free weapon training, and have magic or other skills
>Dwarves are resistant to poison
>Dragonborn get breath weapons
>Tieflings get magic and fire resistance

>Humans are adaptable!
>Therefore we can give them +1 to every stat!
What were they thinking?
>>
>>54849395
>Have you ever played without a bard/cleric/druid (i.e. full healer)? How did that go?
I won't know until tomorrow afternoon. This group consists of a barbarian, a fighter, a rogue, and a wizard. We're starting off at level 1.

Balls of steel.
>>
>>54849395
ALL PRAISE SITHRAK WHO MAKES US SUFFER IN MISERY IN NEW AND CREATIVE WAYS EACH AND EVERY DAY.
>>
>>54849553
By your really stupid definition the only "Full healer" would be Life Domain Cleric. GG you're an idiot.
>>
>>54850601
The only full healers in 5e are Life Clerics and Paladins. I think "full healer" should be more restrictive than "can heal at all".
>>
So I wish to make a character based around Flagellation, any recommendations?
I'm thinking this character needs to
>Inflict self-damage
>Eat damage for allies
>Self-heal a little bit
>Be harder to kill with lower health
So I'm thinking a fighter/Cleric hybrid?
>>
>>54850688
Sounds... magical realm-y
>>
>>54849539
Roughly. Playing a megadungeon campaign at the moment and random encounters happen ~43% every hour in-game, and the dungeon has monsters that I've hand-placed as well, who patrol and camp out in their dens. Considering the players have to make it 16 hours before they can long rest again, there's typically a good number of encounters between one long rest and another in the dungeon.
>>
>>54850729
sounds more like a cut and paste of the flagellant from darkest dungeon
which I guess could be considered magical realmy
>>
>>54850632
Well, I agree with other anons then, your opinion is stupid.
>>
>>54850729
Hi r*ddit
>>
>>54850688
Far as I can think that doesn't exist in 5e. That's a homebrew class.
>>
>>54850794
Why should "full healer" be such a broad category? What would you consider to not be a full healer?
>>
File: HERE WE ARE WHO WANNA FUCK.png (270KB, 297x443px) Image search: [Google]
HERE WE ARE WHO WANNA FUCK.png
270KB, 297x443px
>>54850688
>inflicts self-damage
>be harder to kill with lower health
nothing based around that in 5e. barbarian plays pretty risk-rewardish with reckless attack and just running into melee raging and all that, so that's going to be the closest mechanical analogue you'll find. you could also try a fiend warlock/barbarian multiclass. you gain temp HP for killing shit and your resistance makes you hard as all fuck to kill.
>>
>>54849604
You'll want to replace Ice Knife with the Shield spell because Storm Sorc is squishy.

Otherwise you are fine.

What are your cantrips?
>>
>>54850414
How were you oneshotting with monk damage?
>>
>>54849439
There are three classes in the game that can learn greater restoration and reverse horrible deaths. Though they don't have to. Plus song of rest is more in-built mandatory party healing than clerics and druids get loaded with.
>>
>>54850474
I believe that the Point Buy system from 5e uses 27 points because 30 would allow Humans to be the only race with 3 16s and 3 10s
>>
>>54849539
No. Our group is slow as fuck and combat takes for ever. We only do combat every other session because we regularly spend 2 hours on a single combat.
>>
>>54850934
I'll admit I forgot about Song of Rest, so I'll accept Bards as full healers, especially since they can steal other healing spells from Clerics with Magical Secrets. I was definitely wrong about Bards.

I still don't think I'd consider Druids to be full healers though. They're definitely good healers, but I'd put them in a middle category along with non-Life Clerics.

So, in my opinion, full healers would be (not including any UA):
Life Clerics
Paladins (focusing heal spells over smites)
Bards

And middle healers:
Non-Life Clerics
Druids
Paladins (focusing smites over heal spells)

Then anything else can be an off-healer with Magic Initiate, grabbing Spare the Dying and either Cure Wounds or Healing Word.
>>
"Healing" is a meme.
>>
>>54851022
It's not an MMO. There's no need for a dedicated healer, and definitely not an off-healer.
>>
>>54851091
I didn't say there was a need for any of them, but there's nothing wrong with classifying them by effectiveness as a healer
>>
>>54851084
"Healing is bad" is a meme.

The 5e mechanics make healing at 0 incredibly strong, removing negative effects through Lesser/Greater Restoration, Remove Curse, and Dispel Magic is a big deal, and various methods of damage prevention, temporary HP, Cutting Words, or even buffs like Shield of Faith are all incredibly impactful. Admittedly, restoring HP directly is often a poor use of resources, but even then its more useful than is often posted here. The ability to use action/bonus action in various situations means that you can often make good use of otherwise underutilized action types on a given turn. Aura of Vitality is the standout, but even healing word is a good flex option, and, for clerics specifically, Spiritual Weapon+Concentration spell+Cure Wounds is often better than using your Action to attack directly.
>>
How are you supposed to be able to run a low magic game in 5e when like 70% of everything playable is a full-caster or half-caster.
>>
>>54851137
Ban everything that casts spells, or ban the spell parts of those classes and make different benefits for them
>>
>>54851137
>How are you supposed to play a dogfighting simulator in 5e when it only has fighters?
>>
What kind of interest would a female tiefling have just because she's a female? How would they manifest given her tiefling heritage?
>>
>>54851137
I don't understand people who want to play low-magic in D&D. Just play a different system that doesn't have as much magic and then you won't have to deal with the massive headache of rebalancing and refluffing that you'd have to do to make anything in D&D make sense.

It should also be mentioned that 5e is pretty much the lowest-magic edition of D&D, which should give you some perspective on why low-magic games aren't really appropriate for the system.
>>
File: potion of h.jpg (55KB, 413x613px) Image search: [Google]
potion of h.jpg
55KB, 413x613px
What the hell can I even do with alchemist's supplies? Or is this a "force the DM to figure it out/make something up" kind of question?
>>
>>54851173
Everything about tools is completely up to the DM.
>>
>>54851173
Most people see "alchemist supplies" and think magic potions, but nothing in the books really imply that to me. I've always figured they'd make salves, herbal remedies, vitamins and whatnot, since Potions are inherently magical.

That being said, canonically, potions of whatever can be made with it in Forgotten Realms, its one of the things they gave Regis so he could actually be of use when he got resurrected, since he lost his ruby.
>>
>>54850474

Vanilla humans are ok for MAD builds at least, like monks

But even then, vanilla humans should at least get a bonus skill proficiency like the Variant gets
>>
File: Female tiefling.jpg (283KB, 1005x1382px) Image search: [Google]
Female tiefling.jpg
283KB, 1005x1382px
>>54851160
That's a great question, anon. Let's see if we can come up with an answer.
>>
>>54849539
First, that's less than half of what "the adventuring day" says. Second, that's not a rule. It's not phrased as a rule. It's a guideline.
>>
>>54851204
>salves, herbal remedies, vitamins and whatnot
Wouldn't that fall under the Herbalism Kit?
>>
Is Way of the Drunken Master any good?
>>
>>54851239
It's pretty dumb desu
>>
>>54851237
I dunno, Herbalism Kit directly refers to potions, where Alchemist Supplies doesn't.
>>
>>54849762
A paladin trying to heal is a waste of actions.
>>
Looking for a bit of help from the folks here. After years of being stuck as forever GM, another group of friends are starting up their own game with a different person as the GM. They aren't as experienced as me, but are excited at the prospect of running a module and unfolding g it out onto a larger campaign.

I've already got my basic backstory and class picked out (Half-Elf Wizard) but am stuck on deciding what archetype to go. My current idea behind this character is that they want to become famous via actions and deeds, but to also leave a lasting impression upon the world. Currently, this is having him pursue an idea of either crafting new spells or crafting magical items and eventually an artifact level item.

In terms of crunch, what would you think would allow that goal to be achieved within his lifetime (currently late 20s, so a good 100-150 years before dying of old age, assuming he survives that long).
>>
>>54851270

Yea, but I'm trying to make a kung-fu jester and that's the most fitting archetype. The first and last features are pretty neat but the ones in the middle are too limiting (redirecting missed attacks is great, only once per long rest sucks ass)
>>
>>54851292
Unless it's Aura of Vitality.

It is kind of interesting that the most efficient healing spell is paladin only, even if the two best burst heals are cleric and bard.
>>
How often fire resistance comes up in monsters? Session soon, making up a sorc. I like Phoenix theme (become crazy arsonist), but since it's themed around type, seems like he can get pretty fucked if someone resists/immune.
>>
>>54850310
Maybe mashup Hermit where guild artisan doesn't fit.
>>
>>54851310
>How often fire resistance comes up in monsters
It's quite literally the most common resistance of all.
>>
>>54851320
I thought it went Poison->Fire->PBS/Non-X->Cold or something like that?
>>
>>54851310
Fire and Poison resists/immunities are the most common, but there is a Pyromancer archetype from one of the Plane Shift PDFs that eventually lets a Pyro Sorcerer bypass resists and turn immunities into resists for their fire spells.
>>
>>54851320
Is it worth to take Elemental Adept with it? Well, let's say not worth, but is he BAD? Wild Magic seems fun (aside from maybe too many rolls), so I'm open to another option.
>>
>>54851022
You're forgetting the healer feat and no one needs spare the dying since healer's kits are a magical thing. Not actually magic.
>>
>>54851281
Personally I give poisons to Herbalist, healing potions to both, and all other potions to Alchemist.
>>
>>54851363
>poisons to the Herbalist

but the poisoner's kit exists, fella
>>
>>54851372
Fuck
>>
File: IMG_20170505_114255.jpg (52KB, 677x631px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170505_114255.jpg
52KB, 677x631px
>there will never be a UA about Tools that expands upon DND's crafting mechanics so that there is actual, official word of god rules in place for what each tool can actually do and make instead of leaving literally fucking everything about them up to DM fiat/improvisation, making it inconsistent and unpredictable across different games
>>
>>54851309
Aura of vitality is simply amazing on bard.
>>
>>54851461
Bard with a level of Life Cleric.
>>
>>54851436
>there will never be a UA about Tools
I wouldn't be so sure about that. After the article about downtime activities I'm sure it's a possibility.
>>
>>54851309
No spell is paladin-only because >>54851461 Right. Carry on then.
>>54851336
Poison has more immunes. A lot more. Fire has more resists.
>>
>>54851355
Elemental Adept is trash.

Monsters that are Fire resistant but not immune are like 4% of the MM. The damage increase is also pathetic (formula= dice size/# of dice, for Fireball it's +1.33 damage).

You have a very limited number of ASIs; don't waste them.
>>
>>54851493
>implying literally anyone uses the mechanic known as downtime days

They're only given out as rewards in Adventurer's League as a substitute for character developmemt because god help you if you roleplay and go 0.002 degrees off the straight line of the pre-written adventure
>>
>>54851537
The downtime UA has great rules for crafting magic items, brewing potions, scribing spell scrolls, training new proficiencies, and doing research. Besides, what's wrong with getting to a new location in the game and telling your players "alright, what do you want to do for the next few weeks while you settle in and get familiar with the area?" instead of just giving them a lore dump and moving on to the next murder target
>>
If a feat or background gives me a spell as a bard and I level up can I replace that spell with another bard spell?
>>
>>54849539

Yes. Not only does it greatly smooth out the math, but I also find it helps me mentally separate "adventuring" from "not adventuring" and treat them differently.
>>
>>54851771
If the feature says "the spell is considered a Bard spell for you", then yes. Otherwise, you can't.
>>
>>54851022
>since they can steal other healing spells from Clerics

anon just steal Aura of Vitality
>>
File: Warlord class.pdf (2MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Warlord class.pdf
2MB, 1x1px
how about building white raven and all the utility (even giving up extra attacks alot)?
>>
>character concept
Grave Keeper Charity Tulley was the daughter of a Grave Keeper and a Farmer -- Gordon and Bella Tulley. Her mother died in childbirth, and her father died from a fever in his late 60s. She took up her father's business of digging graves, protecting them from hooligans and robbers, and maintaining the grounds around the graveyard. She has a passion for gardening and horticulture. She is pretty good at hitting things with a shovel, or other similarly sized and weighted things (two handed maces, sledges, and woodcutting axes). She also likes to read, but has never shown an aptitude for magic.

The mines near the town ran dry, and there was a severe drought in the river. Within just five years the down dwindled to just a few dozen families, with most leaving for greener pastures (both metaphorically and literally).

Without payments for funeral services or donations from visitors, she couldn't stay. She gave the graves one last round, sighing at the dead grasses, and left for the next largest town to check the Murderhobo Lifestyle Club to see if she could find a new life as an adventurer.
>>
File: 1485083124935.jpg (100KB, 800x1093px) Image search: [Google]
1485083124935.jpg
100KB, 800x1093px
>>54852331
Sounds like a grave cleric to me!
>>
File: bltizq6f9dbz.png (583KB, 1200x1358px) Image search: [Google]
bltizq6f9dbz.png
583KB, 1200x1358px
For a Hexblade Bladelock who focuses on melee what would be the best defensive spells to pick out from this list?
>Armorof Agathys
>Shield
>Mirror Image

Also, should superior pact weapon make it so your pact weapon can be used as a spellcasting focus?
>>
>>54852416
Booming blade or green-flame blade for your melee cantrips.
>>
>>54852359
wouldn't fighter be more appropriate?

>but has never shown an aptitude for magic
>clerics get spellcasting at level 1

or are fighters just really bad? I actually haven't played 5e, but would like to try, with most of the reading on D&D I've done being from the AD&D era of books, so please forgive

are there "passive" spells clerics can take?
>>
>>54852452
I got Booming Blade.
>>
>>54852458
Fighters are probably one of the "best" classes out there

Overall class balance is fine, nothing is too overpowered or weak (phb beastmaster ranger isn't very good from what I hear though) but fighters are very good in 5e
>>
>>54849395
Currently playing without a full healer- closest we have is a paladin. Working out pretty well so far- I nearly died in the first fight, but that was because the GM had miscalced the encounter and sent us (3 lvl 5 characters) against the equivalent of 2 CR 5 fights at once.

We're mostly doing well because we're all high damage.

We've got
>Varn Sharn, me, Ogrillon (refluffed Orc) Barbarian Brawler (custom strength based unarmed Primal Path made by me with help from /tg/)- I hit a lot and so far have the most kills by a good bit.
>Vengeance Paladin of Kossuth- greatsword fighter, and our sole source of healing.
>And homebrew "Death Knight" class based on the WoW class- yes, sounds bad, but it was chosen for the mechanics alone- the character is a Goliath guardsman who was killed and raised by a necromancer as an undead minion, only to take back his freedom and kill the fucker. Greatsword fighter- has some necromantic magic.

So far we've killed a Troll, a bunch of Gnolls lead by a Fang of that gnoll demon god, several Luskan pirates, a pair of ghouls, and a Cleric of Umberlee. And I beat the crap out of a half dozen tavern patrons and the owner of a tavern.

Favorite moment- when I killed the Cleric, tore her head off, and killed a ghoul by throwing the head at it.
>>
File: 1488097332063.jpg (301KB, 724x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1488097332063.jpg
301KB, 724x1024px
>>54852458
Clerics don't learn spells from some arcane tomes, and they don't go to Hogwarts. Clerics are neither born nor self-made, they are chosen by gods for their ideals and character. Much like Moses was given power to save the sons of Abraham from slavery, grave clerics are chosen to protect the rest of the dead.
>>
>>54852495
I still think having Death AND Grave domains is dumb. They should have released some new, distinct domain instead, like Fire, or Tyranny, or Strength, or the like.
>>
>>54852504
Death is about raising undead from the grave, Grave is about putting them into the grave. Kelemvor doesn't have death clerics, he has grave clerics.

>like Fire
You mean the Light domain?
>Strength
You mean War?
>>
>>54852495
nothing about "gardener/ditch-digger/night-watch/funeral-coordinator" screams "chosen by a divine entity" to me, but I won't deny that fantasy clerics are kind of cool in their own way.

I could rewrite it a bit I guess maybe we'll see
>>
>>54852545
On the contrary. Who do you think will be chosen by a god of war, but a great warrior? Who will be chosen by a god of knowledge, if not a cunning scientist?
Who will be chosen by a god of death, if not a humble gravedigger, who simply knows what's right and wrong, and has no time for your "but I'm raising ravenous ghouls for the greater good" bullshit?
>>
>>54852416
Armor of Agathys is good, scales, and with its 1hr duration can be cast out of combat.

Shield is worthless on a warlock since it doesn't scale and you don't get level 1 spell slots to throw around.

Superior Pact Weapon doesn't turn your pact weapon into a focus. A DM can rule it that way? It doesn't really matter that much - juggling is more of a hassle than a real impediment to casting.

That said, Quarterstaff is the best weapon for a sword&board hexblade anyway, and staff arcane foci count as QS.
>>
>5etools:
>https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

Am I missing something? I'm able to import all items and spells into my roll20 game but not the monsters. Doesn't anybody have a fix?
>>
>>54852589
>Shield is worthless on a warlock.
Yeah, you're probably right due to the low slot count.

Why is a quarterstaff the best pact weapon for a class that can already use its charisma mod for a longsword?
>>
>>54851363
>>54851237
Herbalism uses Survival, Alchemist's uses Arcana. Best not to give a shit about which spells being shoved into potions are "natural" or "arcane", especially since that line's been blurred a lot in this and 3E.
>>
>>54852649
Because polearm master.
>>
>>54852670
Ah, good point!
>>
Is it worth learning 5e over 3.5? Was planning on starting up a new campaign, and was wondering if it was worth trying to convince my friends to turn towards this?
>>
>>54852743
Yes
>>
>>54852458
Fighters are great, I just don't see you getting too much "Grave keeper" out of one.

May I recommend to you the Monk?
>>
>>54852743
Depends who you ask, obviously. In 5eg, most people will tell you that yes, 5e is better. In 3.5eg, people will tell you that no, 3.5e offers more options
>>
>>54852757
Oh, oh, maybe a Devotion Paladin with Tavern Brawler that divine Smites through fists and shovel.
>>
File: 1502567173808.jpg (509KB, 1800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1502567173808.jpg
509KB, 1800x1200px
>>54852765
>3.5eg
>>
>>54852743
Yes. 3.5 is an ancient system, who only grogs and people tricked by grogs play nowadays.
>>
>>54852743
I will never relinquish my beloved 3.5 but 5e is worth learning for the ease of finding players at least.
>>
File: Grog.png (511KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Grog.png
511KB, 600x600px
>>54852789
I can't imagine this guy tricking anybody.
>>
>>54852804
He tricks ladies into thinking he's not gay every night.
>>
>>54852504
Death is in the DMG. It's not a real player option, like oathbreaker and dmg's aasimar.
>>
File: hongolonely.jpg (150KB, 720x2400px) Image search: [Google]
hongolonely.jpg
150KB, 720x2400px
Have you ever run solo sessions for various party members?

How'd that go?
>>
>>54850632
Bard is way better healer than paladin. Full caster, can grab Goodberry, Aura of Vitality and Heal with Magical Secrets if he wants to. And it's not like Lore Bard has so many better things to do with his actions, unlike paladin.

"Paladin" and "full healer" doesn't belong in the same sentence unless there's "isn't" in between
>>
>>54852956
Of course. We play on the internet, which makes it easy. There's no need to make the whole party wait two hours while Bob Demonslayer meets his wife and kids, when it can be done off session.
>>
>>54851363
Poisons go to poisoner's kit (duh), healing to herbalist (read the PHB) and alchemy gets alchemist's fire, acid and all that crap.
>>
>>54852780
>stopped playing 3.5 a decade ago, not caring what they call their thread
>>
>>54852817
Still closer to actual player options than UA stuff, though
>>
>>54853041
>not making your poisons with herbs
>>
>>54853087
>not making your poisons using pollution
>>
>>54853117
>not milking your poisons from enemies
>>
>>54853128
>not milking your enemies to make them allies
>>
>>54852772
>Devotion Paladin
>shovel
Excuse me. This is a vorpal halberd.
>>
>>54853139
>not poisoning the milk with your polluted herbs to kill your ugly enemies
>>
>>54853181
>not getting surgery skills so you can knock out your ugly enemies and make them pretty
>or true polymorphing them into something fuckable
>>
/pfg/ pls
>>
>>54853181
>Not slapping the ugly out of your foes

Whats even the point of playing then?
>>
>>54852604
Same problem here... Also, what's the bind button for? O_o
>>
>>54853209
Continuing the Eberron discussion from last thread,
Eberron would totally have Paper Glamour Bags which use illusory magic to make your dates more attractive.
>>
>>54853269
I can easily imagine a cheaper Hat of Disguise variant with only one possible form used by nobles. Or even single-use, longer duration version that can be used by anybody, unlike scrolls
>>
>>54853350
A bag of Spell Storing that only stores the disguise self spell

Alternatively, for the deluxe connoisseur, changeling escorts are available, bland offer a range if services, from the sexual, to the diplomatic, a la firefly.
>>
I have a paladin/sorcerer who just made his 5th level after a painful couple of sessions being a level behind the party.

howrver, I'm wondering, should I take my fifth level as paladin (extra attack, second level paladin spells ) or start my sorcerer levels now and rely on GFB for the extra damage?

If I did the latter, I would have a end level spell slot, but no spells. could I use that spellslot for a spell at higher level / divine smite?

Thanks!
>>
>>54853433
Divine Smites cap at damage at a certain level slots
>>
>>54853433
ALWAYS TAKE 5TH!

The extra attack is so very worth it!
>>
>>54853433
I don't think you quite understand how multiclassing works. To get multiattack you need a fifth in paladin, not just a 5th level overall.
>>
>>54853433
Sorcerer is generally a bad class for paladins to dip into for more than a single level. Grab Shield and cantrips all you want, but if you want a Draconic Paladin, just grab a Fiend Warlock instead and Refluff it, or if you want a Storm Paladin, just go Oath of the Ancients.
>>
>>54853459
Disregard this post, I misread.
>>
>>54853459
yeah, I know. I'm weighing delaying extra attack vs. cantrips and sorc spells.
>>
>>54853477
And if you want more spell slots through full Caster progression, just grab levels in bard.
Get that Jack of All Trades, healing Word and dissonant Whispers game on.
>>
>>54853433
If you already went 4 levels as Paladin then get all the way to 6th before switching to Sorc the rest of the way.

For Sorcadin you really only want to do either 2 or 6 on Paladin (or 7 for Ancients); you already passed one threshold, so aim for the other.

>>54853477
>Sorcerer is bad for Paladin

Do you not know that GFB can be Quickened?
>>
>>54853533
>Do you not know that GFB can be Quickened?

Erma Gerd, quickened GFB, remind me how many levels of Sorcerer you have to take until that strategy is remotely reliable, and why it beats out just keep leveling Paladin and be able to cast Destructive Wave instead?
>>
>>54853533
>>54853561
What's GFB again?
>>
All right, thanks y'all! Guess I'm wrapping up my paladin levels before switching to sorc.
>>
>>54853572
Great Flaming Balls.
>>
>>54853561
>Oh but if throw a spell slot behind it I can make it so I can cast this cantrip as a bonus action again

Or, or, you can just take that spell slot and Smite.
>>
>>54853572
Green Flame Blade. It's one of the sword cantrips from SCAG. Leveled fire damage tagged onto a melee attack (which can also proc divine smite)
>>
File: 1500590513037.jpg (11KB, 321x322px) Image search: [Google]
1500590513037.jpg
11KB, 321x322px
So, how was your last session, /5eg/?

I made a magic book that lets me resurrect people without leaning on the divine, accidentally put a party member in a coma and resurrected our last opponent's wife before bailing him out. It was bretty gud.
>>
>>54853561
4 Sorcerer levels.

Which are also giving you more spell slots for smites than going pure Paladin.
>>
>>54853603
Or, you can take that class progression for one of them obligatory martial feats that gives you a bonus action attack anyway and just tack on Smites to that
>>
is it considered dickish to take magic initiate for find familiar and use the help action all the time in combat?
>>
>>54849539
More or less, yeah. "Encounter" doesn't necessarily mean "combat" though. Anything that taxes your players' expendable resources counts.
>>
I wanna run a pseudo-spelljammer set in a world of infinite skies.
Does anyone have a link for spelljammer adventure modules?
>>
>>54853708
No, but your DM is justified to 1 shot your familiar all the time for this.
>>
>>54853631
It's not giving you shit, because those slots have to go to making sorcery points so that you can cast cantrips with it.

And all it cost you, since campaigns don't go past level 10 anyway, were your third level Paladin spells (bye Elemental Weapon, aura of Vitality, revivify, and Haste ), your ASI (but it's not like GFB relies on attack rolls and spellcadting ability modifier, - let alone aura of protection - right?) and your Devotion auras.
I hope your Paladin wasn't supposed to be going around fighting undead or creatures with fright effects or something...
>>
>>54853708
It's best to take ritual Caster unless you're a Rogue that needs to slap scag cantrips on your sneak attack
>>
>>54853722
No, but I can give you this: http://www.spelljammer.org/
>>
>>54853737
does the owl's flyby help with that at all?

>>54853754
Yeah I'm wanting that juicy booming blade for my zeal cleric
>>
>>54853787

I usually just recommend going Arcana Cleric with the ritual Caster feat.

You can grab scag cantrips and use your wisdom Stat for the damage.

Hell, you can then even grab magic Initiate with druid instead of Sorc or Wiz and then combine it with Shillelagh
>>
>>54853803
>Hell, you can then even grab magic Initiate with druid instead of Sorc or Wiz and then combine it with Shillelagh

It really is a good combo. You grab Guidance and Shillelagh, which releases guidance as a Cleric cantrip choice for you, and then you can take Absorb Elements as your Druid spell
>>
>>54853787
>does the owl's flyby help with that at all?
Still super easy to murder non-warlock's non-invisible familiars. Single ranged attack and it's gone, or an aoe that wasn't even intended to kill it.
>>
>>54853803
I have a specific character type that I'm playing to (hot blooded loose cannon cop/city watchman who worships justice instead of a deity and draws their power from that) and just trying to maximise my usefulness.

>>54853828
that really is good combo, I'll keep that in mind
>>
>>54853787
>does the owl's flyby help with that at all?
Well at least it won't die by opportunity attacks and enemies will have to waste an action to kill it, or use an aoe attack like >>54853894 said.
>>
>>54853828
I rather take the level in druid. You can repeat absorb elements, and take cure wounds and release Cleric choices
>>
Which female race would you say is the most fertile? Need to know for a game today
>>
>>54853984
elves are only for babymaking
>>
File: 1502133275648.gif (2MB, 370x205px) Image search: [Google]
1502133275648.gif
2MB, 370x205px
>>54853984
>>
>>54853984
Playable? Human maybe.
>>
>>54853984
Pretty sure somewhere it says the drow females are pretty fertile.
>>
>>54853984
Human bards are the reason behind half anything
>>
[shill]That Colville Adventure Lookup thing looks pretty useful[/shill]
>>
>>54853984
Half orcs have to be up there with the most fertile, leaving out the fact the god of orcs explicitly encourages them to procreate they have a short lifespan and no doubt benefit from dat hybrid vigour
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-08-13-09-02-33.png (381KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-08-13-09-02-33.png
381KB, 1440x2560px
Based on he verbatim of the first benefit, would closer ranged spells like thunderwave or flame blade be effected by this feat?
>>
I'm the party rogue, a jack-of-all-trades skill monkey, and I'm thinking of taking a three- or four-level dip in Bard. What're the best spells I can learn that'll stay useful, even without higher-level spell slots to cast them with?
>>
>>54850688
One of the Paladin Archtypes has the ability to dive infront of attacks for allies and can lay on hands themselves I suppose.
>>
>>54854226
Thunderwave is a save, not an attack.
Flame blade is a weird one because the range is self. Don't know it it's RAW, but I'd let someone attack with it from 10 feet away if they had the feat
>>
>>54854226
>thunderwave
>Make an attack roll

There's your answer
>>
>>54854302
OK then like burning hands, would the entire cone area be doubled?
>>
>>54854273
For two levels? Healing Word, Dissonant Whispers, Identify if no one has it and maybe Detect Magic or Thunder wave for a last resort.

For three levels, only take Healing Word and Dissonant Whispers as first level spells, and then Invisibility, Enhance Ability, and Silence as second level spells.
>>
>>54854458
burning hands is a dex save, not an attack. I don't think any area spell is an attack roll
>>
>playing out of the abyss
>be lv4 Valor Bard
>Ancients Paladin respecs into Barbarian
>Aasimar Hexblade has to leave early
>we found Dawnbringer at the end of the session
I was so ecstatic I almost got a hard on
>>
>>54853612
My party almost wiped to some homebrew dire crayfish that was adapted from 1e and who had godly luck in regards to not getting hit.

We didn't even need to fight it, we could have just friggin' Mage Handed the treasure out of the water, but noooo.
>>
>>54854480
>Yfw Dawnbringer is the Aasimars patron.
>>
I'm running a 5e campaign right now and my players want to do a Lord of the Rings campaign after. I've paged through this and the DM guide a few times (still don't have the most recent book) and I was wondering what you all think of it?

Anybody run any games with it and encountered rough patches?
>>
>>54854480
>not giving the item to the person that would get the most use out of it
>>
>>54854505
That would be interesting. But he's a LN jackass so I really doubt it.

>>54854521
Being a Valor Bard, I'll get about as much use of it as the Hexblade would. Plus, I've already got a strong connection with her
>>
>>54852956
Only two or three. The most interesting one was the bard on the team (playing a master of disguise) thought the king they were working for was into some bad shit and wanted to search the castle without anyone knowing. So he disguised himself as the king and sneaked around the dungeons for a while.

I also was bringing another player who started the game with the party back into it by having a dungeon scene where they were all caught. But that player took issue with the idea that his character got caught, so I told him if he could beat five orcs and a low level demon in single combat that he could come back and save the party from the dungeon rather than being captured with them.

First orc crit'd 3/4ths of his health away, the second orc finished him off.
>>
>>54854580
Don't feel bad, amusingly he can't bond with her as a pact weapon because she is intelligent.

It's a shame that Lore bards make better Melee-bards than Valor do.
>>
>>54854480
>Respeccing away from a Paladin just before finding Dawnbringer

Uff, that's tough. All my players are fighting over the Sunsword.

>To be fair, I've probably put my best Role-play yet into that sword
>>
Is there another group in FR who's really into spiders? I'm afraid the players will instantly make the Black Spider - Drow connection.

>>54854599
>It's a shame that Lore bards make better Melee-bards than Valor do.
How so?
>>
>>54854625
Better Synergy with increased Dexterity, leading to better attacks, damage and decent AC.
Better access to spell lore, allowing you to get superior spells and buffs such as Elemental Weapon, Crusaders Mantle, Spirit Guardians that help you in combat far more than any of the Valor bonuses.
Booming Blade and Greenflame Blade synergise and scale much, much better than Extra-Attack.
Use of your Inspiration-Dice to improve AC is better than improving attacks.
Use of the ranger spell Swift Quiver is better without extra attack, because as a bard you're much better casting a spell then shooting twice, over shooting four times.
>>
>Resounding Strike
>At 6th level, when you deal thunder damage to a Large or smaller creature, you can also push it up to 10 feet away from you.

Say I have a weapon that does bonus thunder damage. If I cast thunderous smite, then booming blade and hit with that weapon, how much do I knock a creature back by?
>>
File: 1472373053524.jpg (430KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1472373053524.jpg
430KB, 1280x720px
>>54854480
To this day I cant understand how people can have the enthusiasm to play pre-built official modules, because personally I can't get rid of the suspension of disbelief and the feeling that I'm just playing a videogame in boardgame form, which is not the case when the adventure was homebrewed by the DM. To a certain extent I almost feel like a good DM is obliged to make up their own stuff, since it shows that someone actually has enough passion for their work instead of relying on something that was already there.
>>
>>54854753
10 feet

The damage is all dealt at the same time.
>>
one of my players wants to include a homebrew class/armour thing from an anime which involves using having magic contained in the suits of armour and they channel it through themselves.

so a barbarian type person could wear this suit of armour that has the power of fireball or is embued with fire power and now you have barbarians throwing fireballs
she wanted to play a more "battle mage" type character and the idea didn't sound all too bad
besides which that stuff already kinda exists in stuff like amulets or rings that grant power.

could you guys give some ideas on how someone might build a CLASS around this?
>>
>>54854793
All creative people steal from each other. D&D is a game with a long and proud history of stealing shit from everyone from Tolkien to weird Chinese toy manufacturers. The players' actions and the DM's ability to adapt to those actions will make the campaign their own.
>>
>>54854793
The module is more like a guideline. It serves as a base and the DM makes his adaptation as the adventure unfolds.
>>
>>54854856
Eldritch Knight.
>>
>>54854856
Your llayer is not describing a class but a kind of magic item. I guess the most relevant class would be the UA artificer, someone who can infuse an object with a spell that someone else can use later.
>>
>>54854793
I used to kind of think the same way until I played one. Its more of the excitement of the story, to see what happens, see how your character does in that story. As long as you dont know too much about a module they are great fun.
>>
File: Artificer.pdf (5MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Artificer.pdf
5MB, 1x1px
>>54854856
This should be pretty much what you are looking for
>>
File: 1412627431006.jpg (20KB, 576x432px) Image search: [Google]
1412627431006.jpg
20KB, 576x432px
>>54854624

I'm playing an Ancients Paladin 6/Undying Light Warlock 3 in CoS and I guarantee the War Cleric is going to try to take the sun sword from me.
>>
>>54854728

With a one level dip in Sorcerer it could work. Get that Mage Armor and Shield action going with a dab of Scag cantrips and good old Firebolt. Go Storm Sorcery for extra mobility.

Then use that extra magical secrets to grab a strong helping of Spiritual Weapons and Spirit Guardians (Haste gets an honorable mention, especially if you grabbed Storm. An AC of 25 should make up for no medium Armor and shields ) and then come level 10 you can grab Elemental Weapon Destructive Wave
>>
>>54854935
>>54854948

PERFECT
that is a huge help, she is really on board with this now
I owe you guys.
>>
>>54854518
5e is not a good system for Middle-earth, to say the least. Lots of the core traits of the world nust don't match. Try something designed for it, like The One Rine or the old MERP.
>>
This particular quote is days old but you know it's still fresh, because every thread is a warlocks-suck-thread.

>>54830371
>I have no idea why people get so touchy about the bladelock.
It's because people literally lie about what a bladelock is and is not good at, then other people agree with those liars. I've no idea why they do it. Maybe they failed elementary school math. Str bladelock does more damage than EB at all the levels people actually play, and then some if there's magic weapons around. This works with ftr multi, pal multi, mountain dwarf, or variant human just fine.
>>
>>54855083
What doesn't match up if you don't mind me asking? Everything seemed reasonably well put together when I read the books but I haven't been a DM for long and obviously haven't run a game in AiME yet.
>>
Writing out a Critical-Hit table, since everyone tries to homebrew one of those.

Each result usually involves a DC20 saving throw chance to ignore the effect, most of them are CON based but I wanted at least one of each other.

I can't for the life of me come up with a reasonable injury-based INT save though, does anyone have any thoughts or ideas that are easy to handle? The nearest thing I thought of was "Tactically scattered." make a DC20 INT save or the panic from the injury causes you to make poor choices. You cannot take reactions nor bonus actions as you struggle to maintain composure for 1 miniute. But this seems too awkward.
>>
>>54855155
No, that makes perfect sense
Otherwise you could just put the affected target under the effects from the Confusion spell until they pass their DC. You can tweak it to nerf the severity if you want
>>
I need some ideas for the background story of my Arcane Archer, as I'm unanble to come up with something interesting.

The character is a High Elf Arcane Archer. He is very good at archery and coming up with combat or infiltration strategies, but bad at pretty much everything else.
His alignment is chaotic good and he tries to have a plan for every situation, but has trouble dealing with situations that he didn't see coming.
He is uncharismatic, because he is very blunt and always says what he truly thinks, even if it hurts other peoples feelings.
>>
What are the 'must get' 1st to 4th level spells for Wizards? I don't play casters often
>>
>>54855245
Shield
Hold person
Counterspell
Polymorph

Those are off the top of my head
>>
>>54855275
Mage armor
>>
>>54855207
>>54855155
Any advice for a CHA save based one? It's hard to come up with ideas because I want them to be general enough that these could come from anything, a fireball from a wizard, a sword-strike from a knight, a bow from a goblin, a barrage of darts from a trap.

I thought of having the Charisma save being like a "Goading" moment, where if you fail you want revenge so are at disadvantage to attack anyone but who dealt the damage but that doens't really apply to natural hazards or traps.
>>
>>54855245
Mage armor
Shield
Absorb Elements
Identify
Find familiar
Magic missle
>>
>>54855216
>alignment is chaotic good
> he tries to have a plan for every situation, but has trouble dealing with situations that he didn't see coming

Pick one
>>
>>54855346
>>54855207
>>54855155
Would anyone object to me posting my Critical-Blow table for critique and opinion? I know people splerging houserules on the board is looked down on a bit.
>>
>>54855245
>1st
Mage armour and/or shield
Rituals
>2nd
Mirror Image
Misty Step
>3rd
Fireball
Counterspell and/or Dispel Magic
>4th
Banishment or Resilient Sphere
>>
>>54855563
Do whatever makes you happy friend.
>>
>>54855245
Wizards get so many spells that you can experiment a lot more than with other casters. I'd say the following are spells that do unique things you might want.

Cantrips: Mending, Acid Splash
1st: Sleep, Magic Missile, Comprehend Languages
2nd: Invisibility, Flaming Sphere
3rd: Fireball, Haste, Fly
4th: Polymorph
>>
>>54850333
Why's that? Is it the radius? The damage seems good, and I love the flavor. That said, I took another look at DM, and it's not the action-economy bummer that I thought. Good idea.

>>54850835
Half-orc with high CON and two levels in Tempest cleric for armor/shield/maxed lightning/thunder damage. So I'm good in the AC department.

But anyhow, sorc cantrips are Shocking Grasp, Gust, Prestidigitation, Lightning Lure, Fire Bolt, and Booming Blade
>>
>>54853984
Orcs and half-orcs, considering Gruumsh literally drives them to breed
>>
>>54854505
>Yfw Dawnbringer is the Aasimars patron.
That's a really good idea, actually.
>>
>>54854580
>Plus, I've already got a strong connection with her
Don't let this be your character.
>>
My party just got a mastiff pup. What are some uses for a dog besides giving us advantage in battle and dying?
>>
What should I substitute for a khopesh stats wise?
>>
>>54856187
RP moments
>>
>>54856187

Sniffing out clues, chasing down fugitives, picking up girls.
>>
>>54856216
Battleaxe
>>
>>54854624
>"Hello, Sunsword" says the sword, in a slow, tempered voice, cool, but bright, like Led lights on a tram.
>Um, excuse me?
>I said "hello"
>Ah um, hi. I'm Ranger
>Nice to meet you Sunsword.
>No, I said Ranger
>Is this.. Your name?
>... Yes.
>Well that's silly. It's of no worries though. It's nice to meet you.
>Ah um, why is it silly? I like Ranger.
>Just names in general. I mean, does your mouth have a name too? How about your right arm?
>I.. Don't.. Ok, I'll bite. Why would call me Sunsword then? Isn't that your name?
>Not really... Understand me clearly Sunsword, I am but the hilt, and to wield me means to be my blade. Accept me, and you are my arm, my leg left, my scabbard. Accept me, and we are together, we are Sunsword.
>I.. What do you want?
>To destroy Count Strahd Von Zarovich.
>Oh, that's cool. I hate Strahd too.
>You shouldn't hold hate in your heart Sunsword.
>Heh, I think I like this name. Why not? You said just said you want to destroy him
>But I love Strahd.
>What? Are you evil? Did you give me a cursed sword DM?
>I love Strahd, like the Sunsword before us did. He is a Von Zarovich, as the Sunsword before you, as the Sunsword before that.
>Oh. You mean Sergei
>Ah. Yes. I forget names. I love him.
>But you want to destroy him
>Yes.
>Why, if you love him?
>It's obvious, Sunsword. When you love someone, you have to set them free.
>>
>>54856217
>>54856239
A little polish, and I'd say we've got a true diamond dog on our hands.
>>
>>54855878
Too late. The group's already joking that she'll bring light to where the sun doesn't shine ie: my anus
>>
>>54853984
I want to say aasimar because there's a really hot bard in our party and I'd go there in or out of character

But ya probably orcs/half orcs
>>
>>54853984
I always assume Halflings have lots of siblings, so I'd say them.
>>
>>54855124
I can understand the disappointment about the Bladelock. That pact option doesn't do very much to do with whether you're an effective melee warlock or not. The Tomelock access to the Druid Shalalalalalah cantrip is irritatingly both not in theme for a blade using arcane fighter and very good for a caster who wants some low-impact melee proficiency. The UA Hex warlock almost directly addresses that by giving you another option for using your caster stat to hit people.

That said, Proficiency: Things I Can Pick Up is rather nice if you're going pure Warlock. The rest of it is just less sexy than it looks when you get it into actual play.
>>
>>54852604
I have no idea what is wrong but it's happening to mine as well I can import everything except monster.

I thought uninstalling the script would help but that did not work either. There is probably something wrong in that script in particular.
>>
>>54854793
I feel like this when DMing. My players must play my shitty homebrew, or they can DM themself. Though, the truth is, i am too lazy to read the module - i'd rather just came up with something. Th

I don't mind playing them, though.
>>
>>54856403
Isn't that culture, though?

That said, they're a good pick for big families. Short lived or more frail races might produce more babies, but if you want a lot of brothers and sisters you want a race with a hearty constitution, a long lifespan, and a healthy attitude toward babymaking.

Honestly, I can see Dwarves being stoic conservative breeders, but I can also see them being incredibly prolific. Imagine every Dwarf has more than a dozen siblings, hundreds of cousins, and can recite their lineage back ten generations from memory. Fits with the grudgebearer stereotype if you murder a dwarf in one city and on your way to the next you get ambushed by 500 first cousins arguing over who gets to take one of your bones to your victim's grave. They'll be taking all of them, there's just not enough to go round.
>>
File: sadcat.jpg (33KB, 550x412px) Image search: [Google]
sadcat.jpg
33KB, 550x412px
I should have picked a paladin

im not smiting nearly as much evil as I'd hoped with a cleric
>>
>>54857039
>cleric
>smiting evil
>>
>>54853984
The most realistic is probably not the answer you would like

It would have to be gobos, no questions asked
>>
>>54855547
What does one have to do with the other?

Chaotic doesn't mean random you know
>>
>>54857183
Chaotic means you go about things with improv, and find hard plans to be more constricting than helpful.

On the other hand, Lawful means you apreciate preparation and find unnecessary risk distasteful as it counterproductive.

>You have to do this by the book McClain
Vs
>Screw you commissioner, I'm the best Damn cop you got.
>>
>>54857323
>Chaotic means you go about things with improv
That's one way to do it, but not necessarily.

Robin Hood is the classic chaotic good, and do you think he went in without a plan every time? Nah.
>>
>>54857323
>Chaotic means you go about things with improv
Nigga what
>>
>>54849395
playing a 2 person game, only healing is from the overpowered as fuck potions the dm gives us. EK fighter and wild sorcerer, with an NPC that does an embarrassingly large amount of work in combat. my fighter is an expert at face tanking now
>>
>>54857323
No, where does it ever say something like that?

>A chaotic good character acts as his conscience directs him with little regard for what others expect of him. He makes his own way, but he's kind and benevolent. He believes in goodness and right but has little use for laws and regulations. He hates it when people try to intimidate others and tell them what to do. He follows his own moral compass, which, although good, may not agree with that of society.

Only because you don't like rules and act according to your own moral compass doesn't mean you can't be a tactician.
>>
>>54857399
>I don't like Regulations, so therefore I shall be a sperg whenever something irregular happens.

Yeah that logic holds up
>>
>>54857495
What about anarchists and libertarians whose belief come from careful, precise reasoning? They want radical change, but source of that opinion is cold, rigid logic.
>>
>>54857568
Goals and how it is that you go about those goals are two different things.
>>
>>54857587
One can be Lawful libertarian. To believe all roles needs and duties are met through a means other than a vertical government that exists solely to assure people don't fuck with each other unduely, and strives to bring that about through a long painstaking process of deals, acruement of power for the sake of mutually assured destruction and a methodical and dispassionate retribution to those who violate the non agressivo principle
>>
Has anyone ever played a Arcana domain cleric? they seem like they'd be fun to RP
>>
>>54857755
I have. There's no Role-play crunch to them, they're a wizardy Cleric, especially if you do what I did early on which was to take Ritual Caster Wizard.
In a way its great, because it means it's all on what you as to want you to bring to the table.

My Arcana Cleric was particularly good because our campaign was heavily stronghold based, and my DM let me have to level 18 feature early, by which I mean I got to have a 6th level wizard spell at level 12, a 7th at 14 and so on.

Without that, I don't think I would have played one.
>>
>>54857495
>My own plans are now regulations
>>
>>54857846
>what are you having for dinner tonight?
>fuck you I play it by ear
>>
>>54857891
Ha funny that the same thing can be apllied to >>54857495 as don't liking regulations has nothing to do with how you act in an unplanned situation.

An alignment just describes how a person views the world and how its moral tendencies are. Things like planning ahead and being unable to act in unplanned situations are personal quirks that describe how you act, not how you feel.
>>
>>54857834
In that case would it be better to just play a wizard? I figure that if your a cleric you still have access to healing
>>
>>54858010
Do you have any idea how cleric spellcasting works? of course they still have access to healing spells

But clerics aren't healbots in 5e
>>
File: 1425518108039.gif (399KB, 264x183px) Image search: [Google]
1425518108039.gif
399KB, 264x183px
Hey guys I'm extremely new to DND. I'm familiar with tabletop but I'm in the middle of making my character who ironically IS supposed to be a full healer cleric. But because it's my first time ever joining a campaign I don't want to come off as a "that guy" type with his character so I just want to ask if this comes off as too special snowflakish.

Basically my girl is chaotic neutral criminal who was saved by an elf and has become obsessed with the profession of cleric. She goes through training and genuinely loves healing, believes in the god she follows and enjoys saving others but her endgame is to find a way to prevent death in general. Basically immortality.

She's also very naive and would most likely revive an enemy to gain an ally or to torture them past death for kicks; reviving and smiting and reviving and smiting.

I guess what I'm really going for is a cleric who's an asshole but I'm not even sure if that conflicts with alignment or what
>>
>>54858071
Fuck alignments, they're meant to be a description, not a constraint. Don't let alignment dictate your roleplaying.
>>
>>54854458
are you retarded?
>>
Do you give players all components for spells or do you have a shop for them?
>>
>>54858122
Oh okay. It's just I'm only familiar with video game DND where the games restrict you from being certain races and alignments depending on what you pick and I just sort of assumed that's how it actually was
>>
>>54858159
we highly encourage you to read the book before asking questions.
>>
>>54858155
They have to gather them by hand, which usually entails making their apprentices do it off-screen.

Major cities have spell-component shops, but top-tier wizards don't trust them. It's too easy for shops to spy on enemy wizards, taint their components to backfire, etc.
>>
>>54858155
Considering most of them are fine with an arcane focus, it doesn't really come up.
>>
>>54858159
This was the case in older DnD editions, but 5e is way lighter on this.

The only constrains that still exist in 5e as certain magical items that can only be wielded by being a certain alignment or not being a certain alignment, though those items are rare. Most of the time those are sentient items that have their own moral code
>>
>>54858155
If a component does not have a gold cost associated with it, it can be replaced by a focus or component pouch.

Also remember that a component is not consumed unless the spell explicitly says it is, so you don't need a new 100 gp pearl each time you cast Identify.
>>
File: read nigga read.jpg (320KB, 500x572px) Image search: [Google]
read nigga read.jpg
320KB, 500x572px
>>54858159 needs someone to do this.
>>54858195
>>
Is it possible to play a Lawful Good/Neutral or True Neutral Warlock who made a pact with a fiend? My idea is that my character made a big oopsie and is now indebted to an infernal patron. She's normally an uptight, law abiding citizen but her patron makes her acquire certain items for him though he doesn't care how she does it.
>>
>>54858453
Yes, it is
>>
>>54858453
anything is possible with the power of LOVE!
>>
>>54857340
Going to be DMing a group like this tomorrow, a ranger and a rogue starting at level 3. Anything you liked/disliked I could emulate/avoid?
>>
>>54858508
Make sure to give the ranger ranger things to do
>>
>>54853984
Kobolds or goblins, most likely
>>
>>54858453
thats actually the most likely scenario when you make deals with devils
>>
How do I lose the fear of GMing?
>>
>>54858816
just keep doing it
>>
File: penn-and-teller-004a50dbd48cb6ff.jpg (214KB, 1399x1098px) Image search: [Google]
penn-and-teller-004a50dbd48cb6ff.jpg
214KB, 1399x1098px
Have you and another player ever played a "duo," a pair of characters with linked backstories who worked together? Business partners? Friends? Siblings? Lovers or spouses? Parent and child?

When I was first getting my friend into DND and we were playing 5e, they were really anxious about the roleplay aspect because they'd never done it before. So we thought of two characters - me, a Battlemaster Fighter, and him, a Thief Rogue - with the Charlatan background based on Penn and Teller, respectively. I was the boisterous spokesman and he felt more comfortable describing his pantomimes and letting me speak for him.

Our characters met in a recent war and couldn't find jobs afterwards, so they turned to cons, busking, and hucksterism. They cheated some real bad dudes and went on the run, though still pulled schemes, while trying their hands at the "safer" career of adventuring.
>>
>>54858010
Well, no, you combine aspects of Cleric with Wizard.

Now you can Cure Wounds with the help of a familiar use divine intervention to make a permanent Teleportation circle faster, use medium armor and Shield, Hallow a ground against Elementals, fill your secret Chest with Glyphs of Warding for Revivify, the whole works
>>
>>54858935
Yes, but the game was intended to be dungeon crawl, so there wasn't really much RP to it.
>>
>>54858935
never got to but always wanted to play The Brothers Thog, two half orc brothers, both named Thog, both speak in the third person, both get confused that others get their names mixed up. After all, Thog always know when Thog mean Thog and not Thog.

Stupid? Yes. Dumb? Yes.
>>
>>54859010
I actually use a Diplomacy simulator in my epic campaign to resolve some of the RP, and it integrates into D&d rather seamelessly
>>
>>54859077
>Diplomacy simulator
What? Diplomacy, as in the board game?
>>
>>54858954
Isn't divine intervention more of a 'save me' thing than a 'hey [enter god here], put a teleport circle down for me please'
>>
>>54859126
Yeah
>>54859161
Not just that. It's basically wish, you can ask for it to reproduce a spell ignoring casting times and components.
Depends on how you persuade your DM.
>>
>>54858935
Yeah, I try to do it whenever possible. I had a twin brother once and at least a few times childhood friends. Always feels better than "well you met with each other to adventure and that's it".
>>
Do you use exhaustion rules?
>>
>>54859525
Why would you not?
>>
>>54859525
Yeah, it's not like they're hard to understand or all that complex.
>>
>>54859525
I've never seen them come up in play. A Berserker would encounter them, but I'm not sure when a typical party would.
>>
What do you think of this?
All out attack: Attack with advantage but enemies have advantage on you
Defensive attack: You can attack with disadvantage but enemies attack you with disadvantage too
>>
>>54859525
I use exhaustion levels as result of disease/curse/monster abilities/straining environment/running out of supplies. They come in handy from time to time.
>>
>>54859873
>All out attack: Attack with advantage but enemies have advantage on you
So literally Barbarian's Reckless Attack feature?
>Defensive attack: You can attack with disadvantage but enemies attack you with disadvantage too
This is fucking stupid. If you want to be defensive use the Dodge action.
>>
>>54851964
What did he mean by this
>>
>>54859961
Friend convinced me to roll wild mage even though I was reluctant due to risk. My first surge fireballed me dead.
>>
>>54859961
1) that's XCOM, baby
2) narrative convenience / coolness > everything
>>
>>54859961
It's just some retard being retarded after the thread hits bump limit, it happens in every thread and you shouldn't bring it into the next one
>>
>>54857039
>playing a Paladin to smite evil
>not realizing you'll just become evil
Fighters are the ultimate smiters.
>>
>>54859991
>smiting evil makes you evil
Are you retarded?
>>
>>54860002
Paladins have had just about every moralizing restriction on them removed each edition so they can get closer to Warhammer / Warcraft HURR I AM THE SWORD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS, KILL THE WICKED crusader nonsense. People still playing them cannot help but succumb eventually, and the open-ended interpretations of the Paladin's sole remaining restriction means you can, if you're a shithead (and you're playing a Paladin so that's a given) rationalize whatever evil act you want as in keeping with your oath and serving a greater good.
>>
>>54860053
You can be an evil paladin, but smiting evil doesn't make you one
>>
>>54860104
Uh-huh, you just keep staring into that abyss, pal.
>>
Where do usually monster carry their treasure?
>>
>>54859891
You can use dodge and if you have an extra attack you can attack right?
>>
File: healing.jpg (216KB, 984x723px) Image search: [Google]
healing.jpg
216KB, 984x723px
My whole party got killed last week, and no one wants to play a healing class. I've opted to make a cleric
What would be an optimal healer build for a cleric? I'm still pretty green to 5e as a whole.
>>
>>54860300
No, Dodge is an action unto itself and replaces the whole Attack action. Extra Attack gives you two swings within the Attack action. Some options can replace individual swings within the Attack action, though (like shoves, grapples, and disarm attempts).

If you want to Dodge and Attack at once, you need to be a Monk and spend ki. They can Dodge as a bonus action for 1 ki.
>>
>>54860300
No. Extra Attack modifies action Attack. Dodge action is different.
>>
>>54860312
>not playing a Mystic with Psionic Healing and making Six Million Dollar Man noises whenever you heal someone
>>
>>54860312
You really don't need a dedicated healer in 5e. Especially cleric-wise.

But really, you can play cleric, druid, bard, or paladin and the party will be just fine.
>>
>>54860312

Life Cleric gets thrown around a lot as the go-to healer, if you really want to go that route.
>>
>>54860378
Our DM is new and pretty sadistic T_T
>>
>>54860332
>>54860300
And if you have two attack actions?
>>
>>54860401
Doesn't really justify the pick unless you're in a 5 to 6 man party that has no other healer
>>
>>54860433
How?
>>
>>54860312
Play an arcane trickster with the healer feat. RAW you can heal someone with mage hand as a bonus action. Each healer's kit has ten uses.

You can also pick up magic initiate: cleric for spare the dying and healing word, or just straight multiclass to life cleric 1.
>>
>>54860433
You don't have two (primary) actions unless you are a level 2+ Fighter using Action Surge. Extra Attack does not give you "two attack actions", it makes your one Attack action swing twice.
>>
>>54860312
Grave cleric is a pretty nice healer. Only need to heal people when down, and its one of the few healers that it's actually worth using healing spells that aren't a level 1 healing word
>>
>>54860453

Well, like people have said before, there's not much call for a dedicated healer. But there are options for it, if someone wants one.
>>
What strategies do you use for preparing your games? i want to run curse of strahd and i dont know if i should write down the important bits or what
>>
>>54860126
wat
>>
>>54860507
I suppose the best healer in the game is a Lore Bard with a level in life Cleric, Aura of Vitality and maybe a goodberry.
>>
>>54860556
nigga you don't even gotta read nietzsche to know what that's about
google it
>>
>>54860574
Are you seriously trying to argue that smiting evil is evil?
>>
>>54860589
You should read that post over again if that's what you got out of it. No points for arguing against something no one said.
>>
>>54860351
A mystic can be pretty awesome healer. Nomadic Step to teleport close and Restoration to fix your friends, teleporting back where you started if it was close enough. Emergency evacuation with the one mile group teleport.
>>
>>54860566
Lore Bard is nice at lower/mid levels, but I don't think anything beats life clerics level 17 ability in terms of healing
>>
>>54860614
>>You can be an evil paladin, but smiting evil doesn't make you one
>Uh-huh, you just keep staring into that abyss, pal.
That was clearly a denial of the first statement which would mean you think smiting evil is evil
>>
>>54860656
>level 17
>>
>>54860669
>He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.
The insinuation here, and stated more plainly in >>54860053, is that all RAH RAH SMITE THE EVIL Paladins' overzealous methodologies doom them becoming the same kind of shithead they set out to stop, like a cop who plays too dirty because it's "the only way to take down Corruco." Every blinder and road cone that was supposed to keep the Paladin on the path of the straight and narrow has been removed, specifically because Paladin players kept going out of their way to run off the road.

It's fine to fight evil, but the moment you say, "Ooh, I need some smites to do that," is when you start sliding down that dark path. The truly righteous would never need to be Paladins.
>>
>>54859069
I'm playing in a group where another player is playing as my character's brother, and some of our NPC allies in town include The Mongos, half-orc brothers named Wun and Too. It's fun.
>>
I have a Lore Bard in my party who decided he wanted to become a necromancer. Is there any way I can help him in his goal as a DM? He can't multiclass into wizard because his intelligence is 8. Obviously he intends to take animate dead using his first Magical Secrets, but is there anything else I could realistically do to help him out? Maybe a magic item or something that augments his necromancies?
>>
>>54860736
>It's fine to fight evil, but the moment you say, "Ooh, I need some smites to do that," is when you start sliding down that dark path. The truly righteous would never need to be Paladins.
Ok I'm pretty sure you're just literally retarded
>>
>>54860772
>lusting after the power that Paladin provides
Won't be long before you rob the local magic shop; those prices are just getting in your way of glorious evil-stopping!
>>
>>54860669
Smiting Evil dies indeed, not make you non evil.
There are few things that evil abides less than a rival.
>>
>>54860796
That's a ridiculous hyperbole and you know it
>>
>>54860761
Yes. Crusader's Mantle
>>
>>54860824
Also, give him the magic item Night Caller and let the Bard use it as an Arcane Focus
>>
File: J827gNgkTAa7xFnf7kxydw[1].png (483KB, 387x862px) Image search: [Google]
J827gNgkTAa7xFnf7kxydw[1].png
483KB, 387x862px
>>54860761
could always give them a homebrew instrument of the bards and give it 3-4 necromancy spells
>>
>>54860674
I actually think the life cleric channel divinity and better access to group healing is worth considering on its own. This isn't WoW where you just heal the main tank. Life clerics save lives.
>>
>>54861046
>>54861046
>>54861046
>>54861046
>>54861046
new thread
>>
I am going to start running SKT soon, you anons have any advice?
>>
>>54858556
Good advice
Thread posts: 378
Thread images: 29

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.