[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Legend of the Five Rings General: Roll to Coup

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 328
Thread images: 26

File: rolling to coup.png (2MB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
rolling to coup.png
2MB, 960x1280px
/L5R/ continues from the last thread >>54781912
, being kept up this week because we're in the dead center of the big Gen Con push from FFG and getting new news every week day it seems like.

Latest thing is they snuck the Scorpion fiction out early by hiding it behind a Unicorn Clan article link:

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/55/13/5513e628-0128-4a37-8408-8e19a18fa6a1/the_world_a_stage.pdf

Organized play info more your speed? https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/op/l5r-lcg/

What's the story choice they're dangling for us at Gen Con this year? https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/8/10/smokeless-fire/

What is L5R, for people just seeing this thread? Legend of the Five Rings is an LCG, RPG and old CCG focusing on intrigues and wars of fantasy samurai clans in Rokugan. It used to be published by AEG and was bought a few years back by Fantasy Flight Games, whose new edition of the card game is very close to release. It is an RPG with years of products and four editions behind it.

This thread is for discussion of LCG news, the RPG of any edition, or even the old CCG if you're a fan.
>>
>>54845199
So how is FFG working with the fluff? Are they reseting everything? Are they gonna follow the same paths? I know they changed the gender of the Crane Champion, which is a shame cause the old crane champion seemed really cool as a more androginous badass. (Sort of like Fulgrim).
>>
File: home invaders.jpg (58KB, 687x480px) Image search: [Google]
home invaders.jpg
58KB, 687x480px
>>54845338
Reset and alterations. Some clan champs are different, some aren't, new characters and old. We don't know where the story is going to go but I think the Second Day of Thunder is a fair bet to see eventually.

> seemed really cool as a more androginous badass

Hoturi was a ladies man who basically existed to party and fuck. He was only androgynous in that he wasn't bearded or tankly. Hotaru's not being a party girl with a string of broken men behind her is a bigger divergence than her gender swap. Also she seems younger.
>>
>>54845338
They're definitely changing some things aside from genderbending. The coup might not go down the same way.
>>
>>54845527
Oh, cool. I did like that she seems in a sort of relationship with the Scorpion advisor, which is interesting as what I read about Hoturi is that Bayushi and him were sort of enemies.

>>54845529

Is it going to be decided by tournaments again?
>>
>>54845581
In the old edition, Kachiko and Hoturi were both somewhere in their 30s. Bayushi Dairu, the official son of Shoju, was in fact Hoturi's son that she got pregnant with before she cut him off from their intense romance when she got married.

Now Hoturi killed his own son unknowingly in the Scorpion Coup, so Kachiko spends the whole rest of the Clan War basically making everything worse to punish him. He was one of the only men she ever seemed to genuinely care for, for good or ill.

Now Hotaru seems a lot younger and more inexperienced than Hoturi was, and Kachiko seems to be a bit (or a fair bit) older. She might be just as old as she ever was. And Dairu exists, so maybe this time around he really is Shoju's son or hers by some other romance. There's a lot of unknowns here really. I definitely hope Dairu lives though, since in the old lore he basically existed to die. Let's see where he can go you know?
>>
>>54845581
>Is it going to be decided by tournaments again?

Yeah but it looks like it'll be only one major decision at a time, rather than Kotei having these weird infinitely split prizes that get deeply backlogged. And at the Gen Con one the decision is a group vote of everyone who earns the Hatomoto title, so that may be repeated elsewhere.

We know that every year at the Winter Court tournament though the winner is declared Shogun and gets to solo make a story choice.
>>
File: tragedy.png (983KB, 773x869px) Image search: [Google]
tragedy.png
983KB, 773x869px
>>
File: sad shiba.jpg (73KB, 563x422px) Image search: [Google]
sad shiba.jpg
73KB, 563x422px
>>
File: crane serial killings.jpg (45KB, 640x453px) Image search: [Google]
crane serial killings.jpg
45KB, 640x453px
>>
File: 1413669000949.jpg (255KB, 1260x866px) Image search: [Google]
1413669000949.jpg
255KB, 1260x866px
>>
>>
>>54845199
I can't say how happy I am that the Unicorn are actually the focus of a story event that isn't MONGOL KILL BURN or Kolat stuff
>>
>>54848683
Yeah I actually like that a lot. I fully expect this is going to blow up in their faces, but still
>>
>>54848849
I really liked how the Suppun brought up the fact that Crane have been doing something similar since forever, binding the two together in the upcoming conflict
>>
>>54848683
As a 'Corn player I am pissed that the story choice is...

1. Declare all your Shugenja heretics

2. Give away your Shugenja's secret technique

It looks like it is Lose/Lose for me. I hope we get declared heretic, team up with the Dragon (who are also dealing with Phoenix heresy bullshit) and Crane (who are doing the same shit and might get caught in it), and the shit all over the Fire Chickens until the get desperate and reach into the Maho cookie jar again (which, going by past behaviors should be about 15 seconds after they start losing a battle). Then we get to say, "No, Isawa you are the heretics" and Isawa Tomo is a maho-tsukai.
>>
File: Jigoku Juice.png (61KB, 490x486px) Image search: [Google]
Jigoku Juice.png
61KB, 490x486px
>>54848974
The Phoenix motto should be
>I'll do my best... not to get caught
for how often they're secretly up to maho.
>>
What sorts of things could I use a raise on an artisan or performance for? I get a free one but I'm not sure what I would be trying to accomplish with that.
>>
>>54849064
There isn't really any specific mechanical for Free Raises, but it at base you can use it to make your art better. If there's something unusual you want to do with your art, like include a secret compartment in a statue, or encode a message into a biwa tune, you ask your gm how many raises it takes, and they tell you-- and you get one for free, meaning it doesn't count against your normal limit or actually affect your TN.

Or if your game uses a sliding scale for that kind of roll, instead of the set-TN-and-Raises style, then it's just a +5 to the roll, and your art will be simply numerically better.
>>
>>54849064
What clan are you from? What's your backstory? What do you know about the game you will be/are currently playing?

Anyway, the answer is always bonsai.
>>
>>54849157
>>54849131
My mistake, kakita artisans get a free raise on sadane, but their raises in their chosen art isn't limited by void which raises mostly the same question. I'm thinking I'm going with storytelling as my main art since I have several good stories I can tell rather than just vaguely describing a painting or a song.
>>
>>54848488
I love that the HORSE has a Scorpion ClN mask.
>>
>>54849860
Horse samurai are clearly a thing
>>
>>54848683
>that isn't MONGOL KILL BURN or Kolat stuff
To be fair, they kinda didn't get into either of those right off the starting line, and Nu5R has pushed back to where Old5R started.

So why would they be focusing on either of those?

It's like being happy how the Mantis aren't busy building a katamari ball out of every minor clan they can find.
>>
>>54850838
>building a katamari ball out of every minor clan
Thanks for the chuckle. That mental image will keep me amused for a long time.

Come to think of it, did any Minor clan get mentioned at this point beyond the Mantis?
>>
>>54849035
You mean.... Only when it was building up to the return of Fu Leng?
>>
>>54853296
Isawa Akuma disagrees....
>>
>>54853862
Right but in that instance he was just one man doing some maho and studying oni.
Every clan has their traitors, but I will never understand why the common trope is that the Phoenix practice maho.
>>
>>54852500
The Mantis weren't even mentioned by name. Yoritomo was mentioned (in thought bubbles) to be leading a band of pirates by the Crane champion. Whether this is an internalized slight, if Hotaru is simply not aware the Mantis is a minor clan, or if the Mantis is not a minor clan is not known.
>>
>>54854447
>Every clan has their traitors, but I will never understand why the common trope is that the Phoenix practice maho.
It's probably a CCG thing. Common or powerful decks did a lot to cement the stereotypes.
>>
>>54848974
I felt that way at first too, but the story seemed to be implying they would just share it with the Hidden Guard. Those guys really should know how any form of magic in the Empire works.

I'm completely against other clans using meishodo since it takes something unique away from the Unicorn, but I wouldn't be opposed to a couple of Imperial shugenja cards that reference it.
>>
>>54854447
Try your best to ignore the old fans with their shitty humor stuck in the late 90s. All they do is bring up how shit AEG was at writing and use it to attack other fans.
>>
>>54852500
I don't remember them even mentioning the concept of Minor Clans yet. They may not even exist for all I know.
>>
>>54854657
The Hidden Guard almost certainly *cannot* perform meishodo. When it was first developed, learning it precluded you from becoming a normal shugenja, and becoming a normal shugenja precluded you from being able to wield meishodo. It wasn't until the emergence of the Horiuchi much later that they were able to overcome the disconnect and practice both.

The Horiuchi were founded just before the Coup, so even if they exist yet, which they might not, they haven't had enough time make those developments.
>>
>>54848974
Doesn't the unicorn clan's unique magical talent cut them off from the kami of Rokugan?
Like you either practice one or the other, but not both.

I can understand why the standard shugenja would call it heresy.
>>
>>54848974
The Unicorn must adapt to Rokugan as Rokugan must also adapt to the Unicorn.
>>
>>54854742
Yeah, but they should still know how it works at least on an academic level. Hell, in the interests of protecting the emperor, they could have a small school to specifically train some kids in meishodo instead. I'd like to see how the Phoenix react if their warning backfires like that.
>>
The Seppun don't have the scorpions Nothing magic, connection to the Void like the Isawa or the Kitsu ancestor stuff.
Why should they get the Unicorns?
>>
>>54855306
Because it's a different class of magic entirely. It's like if everyone had Clerics, but the Unicorn had Warlocks.
>>
>>54855306
They probably won't actually "get" it, but they will most likely get a scholastic understanding of how it works.
My guess is that the clans that vote to support the Unicorn will also get at least a vague idea of how it works so they can confirm that it's not heresy. It's unlikely that any of them will actually use the practice though.
>>
>>54848909
This was in fact how the meishodo issue was settled originally, so it's a nice callback.
>>
So im going to be in the tournament Thursday. Anybody else gonna be there? I can't quite decide who to play /tg/.
>>
>>54855801
Play the clan you like. Top of each clan gets prizes.
>>
>>54845581
The Scorpion Coup wasn't decided by tournaments - it was the event that kicked off L5R to begin with. When the RPG first came out, it was set four years before the CCG timeline.
>>
>>54856059
Actually the Coup was a prequel. The first arc was the Clan War/Imperial. All we knew at launch was that the Emperor had this hot concubine from a Scorpion Clan that betrayed his father.
>>
>>54855306
We don't know if the Scorpion have their connection to the Lying Darkness in this timeline, do we? Or even if the Darkness is still a thing.
>>
>>54856169
Oh, there you go then. The Coup was still a fixed storyline decision though, one that maybe won't play out at all this time.
>>
>>54855801
Lion.
Seemed the least play them and so you get all the matsu waifu for yourself
>>
>>54856334
Has the legend of Osano-Wo not taught you anything? Matsu waifus are never worth it.
>>
No better waifu than Yogo. When she stabs you through the heart, there will be no doubt that she loved you and only you. The purest form of love.
>>
>>54856364
By 1e Way Of The Lion, Lion women in general aren't worth it. Ikoma sometimes excepted.
>>
>>54856364
Hey now, Hida (Formerly Matsu) Tsuneko was a great Matsu waifu. She even got to be acting Crab Champion after her husband died, and the Crab accepted her 100%.
>>
File: local matsu ruins everything.jpg (61KB, 600x516px) Image search: [Google]
local matsu ruins everything.jpg
61KB, 600x516px
Never forget
>>
>>54856641
Old lore belongs in the 90s. Go away.
>>
In all honesty for the LCG I'm split on playing either unicorn or lion. The main issue is the unicorn lore seems cool, but it just seems that card wise they have a whole lot going on that doesn't seem to do much while spending fate for it. I like lion for their lore too, and I like swarm decks, but I'm just worried with how to deal with politics since it's looking pretty necessary to take 3x let go and I can't take captive audience then
>>
>>54856667
There is absolutely no reason to believe that the Matsu won't ruin everything this time around too.
>>
>>54856811
There is a huge reason. That reason is AEG had no oversight on their writing team and therefor basically everything they did fucking sucked, and FFG does and therefor it wont. Go away.
>>
>>54856841
Ah, so you think that FFG will completely whitewash them so they're just Akodo by another name. Sounds like shit to me. You go away.
>>
>>54856811
I'm a newbie with L5R lore, I know the basics, but I don't really get the specifics, whats wrong with the Matsu? I know they are based on a matriarchy, and that their founder didn't agree to marry or join Akodo (and that she was slighted by a Crane because she was unbecoming as a warrior for lacking respect).
>>
>>54856909
All the old lore is in limbo and nothing is canon until explicitly stated. Anything anyone tells you is apocrypha, written by John Wick and his ilk, and you should ignore them.
>>
>>54856909
The Matsu are brash and bullheaded and absolutely convinced that they're better than everyone else.
When I say ruin everything, I'm saying it with a fondness. I love those stupid, brutish bitches.

But they will ruin everything, by jumping face first into conflicts when they really should have taken a step back and actually looked at the situation.
>>
>>54856949
This isn't Disney's Star Wars. Until FFG actually touches on something, there's no reason to believe that it's any different than it used to be.
>>
>>54856954
A sorta like in the new short story? Where the Matsu widow was really disrespectufl of her new Clan Champion?
>>
>>54856992
Yep. Even in the new lore, local Matsu ruins everything.
>>
>>54856973
What the fuck are you talking about? Theres a ton of shit that's entirely up in the air. The Unicorn not mentioning the shadowlands at all when it would have been extremely relevant to do so calls into question the nature of the shadowlands this time around, if the Dark Moto exist, and even if the taint functions the same. You're an idiot.
>>
>>54857005
The Crab still being right where they were and doing exactly what they were doing proves that the Shadowlands are right where they were and doing exactly what they were doing. I'm not going to directly attack you though, because I'm a better person than that.
>>
>>54856841
Tsuko is following in the steps of her old incarnation so far and taking it a bit further since in her eyes Toturi is now responsible for Arasou's death. She's going to do dumb shit.
>>
>>54856316
The Darkness should still be a thing, it's very important after all.
>>
>>54857100
Even if it is, I don't want it taking over the plot like it did in old L5R.
>>
>>54857131
Does this have anything to do with the Spider Clan? Or does the Darkness just started going over the Clans conflicts?
>>
>>54857131
It only took over the plot for that one arc.
The CCG model had a major problem where they needed recurring characters, but also needed a massive crisis for the game to abstract around every single set. So the world was ending once or twice a decade, every decade, starting with the clan wars.

The LCG model might very well have the same problem, what with the evergreen unique characters in the core set. They could just handwave it, or say that those cards being used in later eras represent similar characters or reincarnations, or just never move the timeline that far forward. We don't know yet.
>>
>>54857204
No.
The Darkness has nothing to do with Jigoku or the taint. It's a primordial Thing that wants to undo the world, and was really active in trying a little while after the Clan Wars.
>>
>>54857204
The Lying Darkness is one of many of the forces in the old lore that constitutes a setting-ending (if not world-ending) threat. It was related to the Spider Clan, who had the Goju ninja, who themselves were agents of The Lying Darkness. The Lying Darkness was a force that wanted to return all existence to nothingness.
>>
>>54857005
You're talking from the perspective of looking back at an entire setting's lore laid out, rather than the organic process of revealing it actually went through. AEG didn't set down everything from the getgo, and FFG aren't going to, either.

>>54857254
>It was related to the Spider Clan, who had the Goju ninja
More like it had the Goju and Ninube, and working with the Spider just happened to align with what it wanted.
>>
>bullshit nonsense "story" "prizes" that let the winner of a cardgame tournament decide whatever the fuck he wanted is organic
>having no concrete plans for the future and how to keep setting themes is organic
wew lads
>>
>>54856667
Matsu Tsuko's path seems to be fucking things up this time too
>>
>>54857744
They aren't letting them decide whatever the fuck they want, they're letting them delegate on an issue of FFG's choosing. Did you even bother to read up on it before you shitpost or are you too lazy?
>>
>>54858794
read the context again. i was mocking AEG's method.
>>
>>54856786
I think you are overestimating the necessity of let go.
>>
>>54858817
You fucked up either way.
>>
>>54858892
If Dragon voltron is as broken as it has been in testing, it seems pretty damn necessary.
>>
>>54845199
why scorpion is the best faction and why not just play scorpion - why everybody plays scorpion ?
>>
>>54856667
She's ruining this timeline too. She was the one that convinced Arasou to go get headshotted by the Firefly.
>>
>>54845787
>And Dairu exists, so maybe this time around he really is Shoju's son or hers by some other romance.
How about this: he is still Hotaru's son, with Toturi.
>>
>>54859711
Plot fucking twist
>>
>>54859464
When everyone is Scorpion, nobody is.
>>
>>54859464
Lots of abilities and fun events for a cost, but

Where's the Stats?!
>>
>>54859711
That would be cool. I mean, not only we get two people fucking the same gal, but one of them killed the others brother.
>>
>>54856909
Every Clan, much like the Shwartz, has an Upside and a Downside. The Upside of the Lion is they are masters of all forms of warfare, and their kami wrote the book on strategy. (though that gets complicated by several things)

The Downside of the Lion is that for all their adherence to Honor they sure do flip their shit a lot. Seriously. They flip out and make war over the dumbest shit. Now, in the old Lore Akodo had these both the upside and the downside, but his family eventually became the sterotype of the upside, while Matsu was always nothing but downside, and her family proudly follows in her stupid, stupid footsteps. Unfortunatly for everyone involved, the Matsu Bushi School produces some amazingly deadly bushi, so they Matsu aren't likely to realize the error of their ways anytime soon. So instead the Akodo plan AROUND the Matsu, using the Matsu as elite shock troops and Akodo as disciplend line troops. If everything goes well, anyway. Sometimes you get Akodo throwbacks like Arsehoru who get all wild and ragey.
>>
>>54861917
>while Matsu was always nothing but downside, and her family proudly follows in her stupid, stupid footsteps
And still are doing so!
>>
>>54860687
Sadly this is my meta - is this as bad everywhere ? Every person wants to be scorpion and most games are scorpion vs scorpion - most underepresented clans in my meta are lion and crane (and to extent unicorn - clan for homofags)
>>
File: 1502642877380.jpg (216KB, 2048x1053px) Image search: [Google]
1502642877380.jpg
216KB, 2048x1053px
>>54862088
>Game unrealesed
>Meta
>>
>>54861917
If I'm honest the Lion Clan remind me a bit of Dwarves from Warhammer Fantasy. All that honor, rage and grudges.
>>
>>54861917
What did Matsu do that was so stupid?
>>
>>54862225
I don't know what emotion that you're trying to express with that pig, anon
>>
>>54862814
He wishes for your oats, anon.
>>
>>54862736
Well, for starters the first Test of the Emerald Champion. She mocks and belittles every opponent she beats. Kakita bows to every opponent he beats. When they square off she gets pissy that he treats her the same way she treated everyone she beat.

Then there was this one time when the wisesest man in the Empire, wiser even then the demigods that ran it, turned to Ikoma to save the Empire from certain doom. At which point Matsu arogantly knocked Ikoma out and took his place. Even if, as some suggest, Matsu was always supposed to be the Lion Thunder, the fact that she was such a thorny bitch Shinsei had to get her to put on a play like that just to get her to go along speaks volumes about her character, and none of them are good.

How about her family's Gempuku ceremony?
Recite your lineage, your WHOLE lineage, from memory. While grown adults beat you with sticks. If you fall over, you fail. If you misspeak a name, you fail. If you pass out, you fail. If you make a sound that isn't an ancestors name, you fail. If you fail, you have to kill yourself.
>>
>>54845199
is there a pdf trove for 4th? I'm trying to find Great Clans so I can read up on the Unicorn.
>>
>>54863164
You should also look at the Way of the Unicorn book from 1e. Most of the material is the same, but there's more of it in WotU.
>>
>>54863120
All that shit sounds dope. Matsu sounds like the samurai all samurai wish they could be.
>>
>>54863200
good to know but where can I find it?
>>
>>54863239
Then congrats your a lion player!
>>
>>54863415
Haha, you must be a Crane then!
>>
>>54863439
Nope, lion player, I love those stupid fucking Matsus
>>
>>54862225
there is something like l5r CCG - look it up pig boy
>>
>>54863120
Okay that last bit sounds like an exaggeration.
Like when the Scorpion kill all their Honorable members because they're not willing to be backstabbing not-ninja.
>>
>>54863530
They don't kill the honorable ones they just stick them with boring unimportant duty and then marry them off to obscurity. Traitors are the ones they really fuck up.
>>
>>54859464

"They're only pretending to be villains, they're a clan of tortured anti-heroes" aside, they had a really compelling situation going way back in the day. Basically every Scorpion personality still alive was a fuckup whose main claim to fame was they were still alive when all the normies (or what passes for that in the Scorpion Clan) had gotten themselves killed. Your Not!Clan Head is the gormless younger brother. Your Lady/waifu is the emperor's trophy concubine and sad to say even before that a Crane-fucking whore. Your most experienced Bushi's main claim to achievement was hiding beneath the corpse of a better man. Your sword-sage is a lunatic that doesn't realize he's based his path to enlightenment on an ancient work of philosophy that was deliberately fabricated bullshit and all the impossible missions he's been given were the other clan members overtly trying to get him killed.

The Scorpion are *awesome*, anon.
>>
>>54861308
The letter she wrote to Toturi after the battle was really sorrowful and Hotaru isn't the type to just sincere it up while cackling to herself. She truly regretted hurting Toturi like that even though what happened was completely honorable and dutiful on her part. I bet there's stronger feelings there if nothing else.
>>
>>54863519
But I require some of your oats brother
>>
>>54863530
What he got wrong is that the beatings and the recitation don't actually happen at the same time, you are allowed to make noises during the beatings (But you have to remain conscious and standing) and there are more asshole steps before and after both, such as reciting the tenets of Akodo's "Leadership" by memory, and fasting for three days while surrounded by big, heaping plates of food.
But yes, fail and you kill yourself.

It should be noted that the Matsu are consistently one of the largest families in the empire, which means the vast majority pass all of the tests. But they have been training for it for most of their childhood, so that's not surprising.
>>
>>54863530
That last bit was completely true in 1E, The Matsu were more fucked up than even the Yogo. Later writers started poking fun at the idea that the roid rage spartan warrior family was wiping out their kids in stupid adulthood tests, though, because seriously that shit was dumb.

(It wasn't just reciting the names, you also had to demonstrate knowledge of around 20 different weapons, perform difficult katana feats and then fast for three days while sumptuous meals are laid around you. The Matsu thought they were being generous by "allowing" failed applicants to commit seppuku, since they weren't adults but seppuku is an adult act so they at least can do one adult thing with their miserable lives. Way of the Lion was wack.)
>>
>>54862088
Scorpion ruling a local L5R scene is really bad, yeah. In my scene it was bad enough that even with the metaplot going on the normal assumption was that the clans never went to war in the first place because it was too expensive and things were better settled with backstabbings, poison, sincerity and ~*social skill*~ Granted, it might have also been that the same players were deep into VtM since it was the late '90s/early '00s.
>>
>>54863694
>you also had to demonstrate knowledge of around 20 different weapons, perform difficult katana feats and then fast for three days while sumptuous meals are laid around you.

The best part was having a GM who wanted his players to actually go through their gempukku. Mathematically impossible for Matsu (so many untrained weapon checks since no gempukku-ready starting PC has that many skills).
>>
>>54863964
The original 1E introductory adventure also had a side bit where Matsu Tsuko herself took any Matsu PCs to a side and told them that if they fucked up in the Topaz Championship they would have to kill themselves, and the adventure was both rigged against the PCs (a nephew of Bayushi Kachiko was a contestant and he was dedicated to fuck with the PCs and any others, up to and including hiring a ronin band during a hard test to waylay competitors) and really hard to do well at if you were not a bushi with good dueling and courtly skills. At least Matsu PCs that had to commit sudoku got to roll a new character with as much bonus XP as what their original character would've gotten, but yeah.
>>
>>54864034
im so glad john wick no long has anything to do with l5r
>>
>Wild tales of Matsu children slitting their bellies in mass numbers and Akodo students killing each other to weed out the unfit are popular in the rest of the Empire, but they are wild tales, nothing more. In truth, the Lion would rather bring a less-promising child up to an acceptable level of skill than waste the time and resources spent on him in his younger years by killing him outright.

>A Lion finds himself once again at the center of his family’s attention during his gempukku ceremony. This is the only time a true Lion fears scrutiny, because his audience is the people he values most. While no Lion will ever consider an opponent to be a worthy judge of his skill, he will spend his entire life bowing before his superiors within the clan. Those who fail their gempukku cannot truly escape or erase the stain they place on their names. However, those who fail despite their best efforts are often given another chance to learn and prove themselves. Only those who fail their gempukku due to cowardice, selfishness, or other irretrievable moral flaws are required to commit seppuku

Everyone calm your tits. The Lion are harsh but not totally insane.
>>
>>54864139
Except of course the Clan War era Matsu, that is >>54864034
>>
>>54864115
This wasn't John Wick at all, actually. Andrew Heckt did The Ceremony of the Samurai (the 1E intro module) and I want to say Way of the Lion was Rob Vaux... nevermind, Way of the Lion was Wick, Soesbee and Patrick Kapera.

>>54864139
Like I said, later writers openly laughed at the old fluff and rewrote things to make more sense, but this is how it was in 1E.
>>
>>54863964
>Mathematically impossible for Matsu (so many untrained weapon checks since no gempukku-ready starting PC has that many skills).

You can do it with as little as four skills. But even more to the point, the Matsu Bushi school comes with Kenjutsu (6 Weapons), Kyujutsu (3 Weapons), and two other Bugei Skills. Spears and Staves gets you the remaining 12 weapons. Spend 12 for Agility 3, and then 15 points to get those four skills to Rank 3 and you have a respectable 6k3 to hit, which is enough to hit a TN of 20 most of the time. That leaves a starting character with another 18 points (before disadvantages) to spend. Memorizing 50 or so names isn't beyond a child's ability, as kid I had to memorize the 50 states, their capitals, and the Presidents in order (up Reagan at the time) so no expenditure should be needed there as Lore: History is a school skill. Spending 12 of those 18 points on Willpower or Stamina will get you through the beating and fasting. That leaves 6 points for other essentials, like Etiquette, Courtier, and Iaijutsu.
>>
File: commit sudoku.jpg (648KB, 819x1157px) Image search: [Google]
commit sudoku.jpg
648KB, 819x1157px
>>54864609
Oops, I tarded up and forgot one skill, the Matsu only has a single point for miscellaneous support.

I sudoku in shame.
>>
>>54863964
Two words.

Crab Hands.
>>
>>54864609
Or just get Crab Hands for 2 xp and count as having literally every weapon skill at 1.
>>
>>54864646
Crab Hands isn't really sufficient to do the job unless you swing a 4 Agility. 4k3 hits a 20 about half the time.
>>
>>54864666
Well Satan, if you are just going to chance it at skill 1 just use your two Bugei Skills from your school to get the aforementioned Staves and Spears and roll with it.
>>
>>54864671
>>54864701
I don't think demonstrating that you know how to use a weapon is TN 20. 15 at best.
>>
>>54864729
A 15 won't hit a Light Armored Reflexes 2 target. You need a 20 to do that, which makes it the bare minimum to be functional in combat.
>>
>>54864843
Demonstrations aren't combat functional.
>>
>>54864843
If you're using real combat conditions, then the Matsu fight almost exclusively in Full Attack stance, which gives you +2k1 to attack rolls.
A Matsu with agility 3 and Crab Hands is rolling 6k4, which can hit a TN 20 93% of the time.
>>
>>54864843
I'm not sure either of my two current characters could hit TN 20. You'd be suprised what you can get away with and be functional in combat.
>>
Have you ever started the game as an "important" person?
Like, one of the royal families like a Seppun guardsman or a kid of one of the clan champions or daimyo?
>>
>>54864953
/tg/ had an infamous player that made a Crane Clan shota trap that was engaged to Clan Champion.
>>
>>54865162
Why am I not surprised.
>>
>>54864953
It never got too far, but I once was in a Dawn of the Empire game where my character was a direct disciple to Kaiu and was destined to be the inventor of the ono.
>>
>>54865177
>>54865162
>>54864953
Wasn't that Tohoufag too?
>>
>>54865308
yep
>>
>>54865511
the sheer curiosity of this just makes me want to know MORE about this.
>>
So, I might be playing a ronin soon whose been trained in the kenku swordsman school. However, the school doesn't list a starting honor value. Is there errata somewhere that clarifies on that? If not, what should I do for starting Honor?
>>
>>54866230
The Kenku swordsman school does not have a starting honor because it's not supposed to be used as your starting school. You have whatever honor you had from your life before the School, which for you would mean you start with the honor of a school-less ronin.
>>
>>54866366
Ah, so 3.5 Honor then? Hm, guess that means I'll need to take the Virtuous advantage to get to roughly average Honor. I don't understand why they'd not set a starting Honor value because you're not supposed to start with that school though, when they -do- give a starting school outfit; Something you'd only get if you start with that school.
>>
>>54866403
It really shouldn't have a starting outfit either, since there's no infrastructure for it at all. If you're in that school, it's because a lone kenku decided it, and a lone kenku would have trouble supplying all that stuff, aside from the daisho, which you should have on your own.
>>
>>54866403
Other schools have starting honor because most schools teach you from the age of 6 onwards. The Kenku school uses your pre-school honor because it simply doesn't represent being raised by Kenku.
>>
>>54866475
Also because the Kenku don't actually follow bushido, they just agree with a lot of the superficial elements of it, so a human being taught by them really has to find a path to honor somewhere else.
>>
>>54866436
Eh, armor, daisho, and a traveling pack aren't that hard to get, especially when kenku are talented smiths so they could make the armor and daisho themselves. The koku is stranger, but kenku are notoriously clever, I could see them finding a way to scrape some together so one of their students can get by comfortably enough. I'm not sure how exactly you'd refresh that stock though, since starting koku are supposed to represent a stipend from your family/clan rather than just "This is -all- the money you own".
>>
>>54866524
...Er, to rephrase, armor and a daisho -are- actually hard to get, but not for a kenku because of aforementioned smithing talent.
>>
>>54866230
From the official errata
Page 180, Kenku Swordsman School: The absence of a
“Starting Honor” for the Kenku School is not an oversight.
Although the Kenku race is given an “Honor” stat to
represent their overall sense of moral purity, they do not
follow Bushido, and human characters who train in the
Kenku School will already have an Honor Rank from their
previous normal lives.
>>
>>54866403
If your GM is actually running things right, your honor will settle where it should be within a few sessions. Honor is reactive mechanically. How you act determines your score, not the other way around.
>>
so I take it there is no PDF collection of the game?
>>
>>54866605
There used to be, but I think most of it got taken down.
>>
>>54866616
that's a shame.
>>
>>54866644
I have all the books but some aren't for sharing due to my own name or that of friends all over them. AEG liked watermarks. I can maybe sort through it sometime in the next week or so and isolate the ones which I'm fine sharing and put those up for you guys
>>
>>54866605
No, there is no pdf collection anymore. If you just want raw mechanics, you can always go here:
https://sites.google.com/site/mistralceleste/TRPG/l5r/resources
You have to already know how to play the game, though, to use that stuff, but it has classes, advantages, and such that came out in 4th ed.
>>
>>54867014
thanks but no thanks. mechanics bore me. I'm looking for lore.
>>
Are the Otomo the only family named after an IRL historic clan?
>>
I was wondering if I could get a little settings advice.

I'm a new GM and currently running a game and I'm putting my players through the Secluded Village from Kazenoshiro.

In brief the adventure involves a valley of villages getting cursed by a powerful water spirit because ronin involved in the murder of a shugenja have taken residence in said villages.

Lifting the curse involves finding all the ronin and executing them for their misdeeds in order to appease the kami...

My problem is that my players have come to particularly like one of these ronin, to the point where I am sure they will try and figure out a way to keep him alive. I don't entirely understand how the kami behave in setting, so when my shugenja player asks if he can somehow quieten the spirit another way I'm not entirely sure what the options would be in universe, or how best to reflect said options mechanically. Could someone please let me know how similar such curses can be resolved in universe?
>>
>>54867179
The Shiba were a historic clan as well. And Yoritomo (MIGHTY IS HE) was named after Minamoto no Yoritomo of course.
>>
>>54867434
The Kami perceive things in a weird way and aren't particularly bright when it comes to the ways of mortals. One way to deal with it is for both the appeasing shugenja and the ronin to perform some serious sacrifices towards the kami. Another way might be for the ronin to completely and truly take up a new identity, the easiest and most likely to succeed way being to retire to a monastery and really mean it.
A potential problem can be that the kami don't really understand mortality, so if the ronin *isn't* distinctly punished, his natural death (Or death for reasons other than punishment) might make it impossible to lift the curse without massive rituals and personal sacrifices from local priests and monks.
>>
>>54867554
He's taken up residents in the village and is helping them deal with the drought that resulted from the curse and is actively helping the players track down the others involved. Does that come under new life or is it not radical enough of a shift?

His natural death possibly making the matter worse is a nice wrinkle though, and something I hadn't totally considered.

I know the kami act somewhat alien, but they also seem to act like spirits in stories so I'm just trying to get a reasonable handle on how these things usually go. It is such a wonderful setting but there is so much of it and finding good setting material can be tricky.
>>
>>54867619
Just trying to mitigate the curse won't cut it. He needs to really appease the kami directly. And he can't do that without a shugenja willing to get between an angry kami and the guy the kami is angry at.
Him personally building and maintaining some kind of relevant shrine might help.
>>
>>54867634
Well I am actually sort of expecting the shugenja in my PC party will try and intervene, and that is the main thing I want to figure out. What my PCs can do/try to do/advise he do.
>>
So, I may be playinga ronin character for an upcoming game, whose schtick is that he's the last living heir to a minor clan that went extinct during the Destroyer War. Right now, his goal is to get an audience with the Emperor to try and get his blessing for reviving the clan, and he'sgot his chance now because the Scorpion were willing to sponsor him, letting him attend the imperial winter court that they've been selected to host this year.

Course, they're not doing it out of kindness. They're doing it because A.) If he succeeds they'll have a whole clan that owes them a huge debt, and B.) Said clan's old lands happen to lie in what's now Lion lands, and happen to have some feature or resource that the Scorpion would rather deprive the Lion of (and might want a chance to trade for so they can have it instead). Obviously, the Lion attending won't be so fond of the idea of just giving up those lands.

Right now I'm doing the write-up for his clan, which won't be any of the existing ones. The big thing I need to figure out is what exactly his clan's old lands could have that would be so valuable the Scorpion would side with him and the Lion would fight in court to avoid losing. I'm not so familiar with what resources the Lion have and abundance and shortage of though, does anyone here have an idea what they'd consider valuable enough to fight over, maybe gold or jade or high-quality iron?
>>
>>54869253
The lion lands are mostly known for being rich in corn and grain.
The lands are rather poor in other resources, so depriving them of a good quality iron mine surely would sting them badly.
>>
>>54866862

Thank you.

>>54866605

Someone essentially reported all of the collections for violating the DMCA.
>>
>>54869253
I don't see how being in debt to the Scorpion is a good thing anon.
>>
>>54869763
It's not that bad. Just don't try to wiggle your way out of it.
>>
>>54869889
Unless you are a member of the Monkey Clan, being in debt to the Scorpion is a bad idea.
>>
>>54869484
Anyone has atlas of rokugan - the new one that FFG advertised ?
>>
>>54870073
It's actually a double edged sword, since the Scorpion aren't going to dick around with you for fun, and are more likely to help you out and protect you. Being an unofficial vassal isn't all bad.
>>
File: 1438825185467.jpg (916KB, 2333x1131px) Image search: [Google]
1438825185467.jpg
916KB, 2333x1131px
>>
Has anyone had much experience with crane using lcg proxies? I'm thinking of running a deck that focuses on honoring characters and utilizing all the control cranes have, not sure what would be a good splash really though.
>>
>>54871778
If you want even more control and honoring you could do Phoenix for Pacifism and Magnificent Kimono. It's not a bad idea to do Dragon for Let Go and whatever else.
>>
>>54871778
I've been splashing Lion. Stand Your Ground can buy your guys an extra turn on the field, and also save a character from an assassination or the like.
>>
>>54872127
Seconding Lion splash for Crane, also want to mention Honored Blade as extra Katanas with upside, and also Ready for Battle, which is just an all around great anti-control card.
>>
What's the worst character you've ever heard played /tg/?
My friend is telling me about the game he is in currently and it sounds.... Well it sounds like snowflake central.
>>
>>54872266
Yeah, I've been playing Ready for Battle too. Honored Blade I'm not sure about, you really think it's worth the 1 fate?
>>
>>54872285
I'm going to nominate every Half-oni I've heard of. I don't know why there are any at all, never mind more than one, since it's not even a concept in the setting and even if it was, the offspring would almost certainly just be a very, very tainted human, but there are, and so they are collectively the worst.
>>
>>54872309
If your crane deck is looking to use Honor as it's primary wincon, yes. If you're going for conquest wins with honor as a backup plan, less so. There's some merit to the fate being worth the "extra cards" that you get from the honored blade's effect if you're not going to try to honor out, but overall there may be better cards among the neutrals or clan cards you might prefer to swap in.

But, again, if you're honor-primary Crane, absolutely Honored Blade.
>>
File: Toturi_Kaede.jpg (25KB, 375x292px) Image search: [Google]
Toturi_Kaede.jpg
25KB, 375x292px
>>54872319

>defend the waifu!
>>
>>54872367
>>54872309
>>54872127
>>54871778

With the deck I was thinking about I wasn't thinking of focusing on an honor win just due to how inconsistent it seems. What about 3 stand your ground and two oathkeepers to round out the military side?
>>
>>54872319
The implication that you've heard of more than one is terrifying
>>
>>54872367
>But, again, if you're honor-primary Crane, absolutely Honored Blade.
And, if you aren't Honor-crane, you should be splashing Dragon. Or Scorpion. So much good shit for aggro-crane in Scorpion.
>>
>>54872367
Is honor even a consistent win con in the LCG in your experience?
>>
>>54872403
I'm not in love with Vengeful Oathkeeper. It CAN be a nasty surprise for an opponent, but I feel like more often they're just a little too clumsy to make the difference.
>>
>>54872429
No.

Honor/dishonor ending the game is really rare, with dishonor coming up more often than honor. They seem more like pressure valve win conditions, they only become truly relevant if players are not playing the way the game is designed to be played.
>>
>>54872429
My experience is limited to a dozen or so Tabletop sim games, so don't take me as an expert or anything. That said, not REALLY.

The thing is, we're running on such a limited card pool right now that you're forced to balance your deck. You can certainly tune it with "I'm going to apply honor pressure" or "I'm going to throw caution to the wind and aggro hard" in mind, but that doesn't result in every card in your deck working towards that purpose the same way it does in more mature card pools. In a few years, with a larger card pool, I think pure honor/pure dishonor decks will be real(whether or not they're competitive).

More compelling right now is using the honor mechanic as a fork. Because the card draw is tied to honor, there's a lot of potential in using honor tech to boost your pool up to where your opponent is afraid to bid for card draws, lest he just give you the game. If you use honor wins/dishonor wins as a threat more than an objective, you can go far. Plus, there's potentially a lot of power in convincing your opponent that he needs to be conservative with his honor bids going into a critical turn, then slamming a 5 bid and moving into stronghold-centric conflicts with huge handsize advantage.

But, getting back to the original question, it's basically impossible to make a pure dis/honor deck right now, but it is very much possible to make a deck that threatens those wincons against incautious opponents.
>>
>>54872429
>>54872412
Won via honor, but definately noticed that it seemed sub-optimal at more than one point. It allows you to force your opponent to bid-low in the honor bid, which is useful though. Probably going to give it another go later tonight. Weirdly fire often seemed like a better pick to me than air even while honor running.

>>54872412
Scorpion I think might end up being good, but we've not really seen enough cards. Just because you're not playing honor-running crane, doens't mean you aren't playing honor-all-the-guys crane.

>>54872403
Conflict characters haven't been doing much for me, and while Oathkeeper can be free he loses the suprise factor. I'd probably go Ready for Battle, but that's personal taste.

>>54872515
Boosting your honor also allows you to keep up the card draw and chain out assassinates, which isn't terrible. Of course, thematically, it's a bit weird when all your dudes are super-honorable but your families honor is in the tank.
>>
Does anyone know where you can grab the tabletop simulator module they're using on the discord/youtube? The one in the workshop doesn't seem as good.
>>
>>54872593
There should be two in the workshop now, one of which is the one everyone uses on discord / youtube. Look for the one made by Travis Fights Dragons.
>>
>>54872593
>>54872613
Rather, "I Fight Dragons" and not Travis. Forgot which username he used for steam.
>>
>>54872669
Thanks
>>
>>54872381
She has the ugliest art I swear.
But she's half Nothing if I recall.
>>
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/8/14/masters-of-deception/

Scorpion card preview
>>
>>54872894
She's actually a completely normal mortal, because mortality breeds true and she was given a name, which completely severed what Nothing influence there was.

Even the children of the Kami were mortal, if long lived, and their grandchildren were completely mortal. Half-spirit children just end up as mortals with a bit of influence from their supernatural parent. Emma-O goes mortal and has kids every once in a while as a vacation, and his kids are just humans with the Blessing of Meido advantage.
>>
File: hot spider lady.jpg (238KB, 1600x1341px) Image search: [Google]
hot spider lady.jpg
238KB, 1600x1341px
>>54872319
Sort of like the character's I've been hearing about.
The character is an heir to the Doji family, his dad the Crane Clan Champion's son and a pretty good swordsman, his mom is a shapeshifting spider-lady. (Like, an actual spider, not the Spider Clan.) Apparently this marriage is important enough to give over a possible heir to inhuman Spider people who feed on the essence of others.

I don't understand the backstory to this character, why wouldn't the Doji just destroy all the spiders? Why marry them into the family? WHY????
>>
>>54873060
It seems like they're better control than crane overall, all their effects seem way too good
>>
>>54873082
Spirits are typically pretty well regarded, and marrying shapeshifters is actually not as unusual as you might think. Feeding on others' essence is definitely a problem, but it wouldn't take much reworking to make the concept acceptable
>>
>>54873060
They show us a card with double "-" stats and not her textbox. God damn it.
>>
>>54873060
Well, looks like let go will be pretty close to mandatory now
>>
>>54873339
Let Go doesn't stop a bunch of the effects that the characters do though. That Crane card who can stop events suddenly makes it seem like one of the only effective ways to fight these guys
>>
>>54873151
Would you allow someone to play the kid of a Clan Champion, an important inhuman spider monster, and be magically gifted?
>>
>>54866605
If I remember, I'll see if I can find where I got my pdfs after work
>>
>>54873402
Would depend on the campaign for me. Snowflakes like that are meant for shonen epics, where you also have a Monkey bushi, an Elemental master student, probably Void masters child and a Ninja.
>>
>>54873402
I wouldn't let them play a spider creature, but the descendant of one? Sure; that's what Child of Chikushudo is for. Magically gifted is probably also covered under CoC, or maybe Inner Gift-- assuming they aren't playing a shugenja and getting magic that way. As for being the kid of the Clan Champion, it would probably depend on the pitch. For a high-level mono-clan game, I could see it working.

But regardless, none of it so out there that I would dismiss the whole thing out of hand. If a player had that as their character concept, I would definitely be willing to talk about it and negotiate a more reasonable version of anything too egregious.
>>
>>54873512
>>54873522
For shame /tg/, accepting an obvious snowflake.
>>
>>54874538
If you really need nobodies dying pointless deaths, /osrg/ is over there.
>>
>>54873505
Make sure to obscure the link via Pastebin or even just not a direct link, like break it up or something. Otherwise it'll get taken down on you.
>>
>>54874538
If you want to get new young players into the genre, snowflakes are on par with the course.
>>
oh, just so ye know the FFG site updated by adding a whole bunch of Scorpion cards.
>>
>>54866605
>>54866616
>>54866644
>>54866862
>>54867014
>>54867097
>>54869484
>>54870368
>>54873505
>>54875491

What are you all complaining about? each of the .pdf troves from the PDF share thread still work, looks even like all editions fully represented across all of them
>>
File: Sinister Soshi Proxy.png (211KB, 281x392px) Image search: [Google]
Sinister Soshi Proxy.png
211KB, 281x392px
>>54875620
The article? Yeah, we've been through it.

This card is a proxy made from the word of someone who has played a review copy of the game. Take it or leave it.

We're still missing Bayushi Liar and Blackmail Artist.
>>
>>54869406
Lion lands are mostly agricultural? Huh. I'd have thought they'd have an abundance of iron and such since they're the most militaristic clan, but I guess that's also handy since it lets them sustain more troops for a large amount of time.

>>54869763
Well, what other ways does a ronin have to get an audience with the emperor? It's not ideal, but he doesn't really have many other options.

Also, having given it some thought, I think I might have an idea for the clan's resources, history, and schtick. How does this sound?

>Clan founder was a poor, one-armed ronin who happened to run into Toturi after he was cast out, but before he started gathering an army
>Doesn't have much, but let's him stay in his shack and gets him something to eat. Turns out he's really good at making ends meet
>Later after Toturi gathers his army, founder comes to join
>Not much of a fighter thanks to his injury, but well-acquainted with logistics and resource-management
>Exceptionally thrifty, could take a bad situation and spin it into something manageable
>Managed to impress Toturi enough to get his own clan (since Toturi was passing out more than a few clans to people he liked from his days as a ronin)
>Placed on land between the Scorpion and Lion, nestled between the mountains and a river
>Rich gold mine on their lands
>Basically tasked with managing the region's wealth
>School that came about from the clan was a courtier school that used logistics and mathematics to aid their arguments ("My lord, if we do this instead, we can get a much bigger return", that kinda thing)
>Named the Frog Clan because of their marshy lands and good fortune (China and Japan apparently associate wealth and good fortune with frogs, for some reason. At least if google is telling me right)
>Clan wiped out in the Destroyer War, thought extinct
>Lion help themselves to the vacant land
>Cut to present day, with the surviving heir looking to revive his clan

How does that sound /tg/? Decent?
>>
I hope this new game drums up interest again so I can run the RPG and cuck my players.
>>
>>54875758
>Frog clan is cutting a deal with the Scorpion clan.
I really hope you don't realize what you're doing there. It's way too funny.

Anyway I'd say go back to iron mine over gold, since it's more useful, and just make sure that the clan's lands are on the Lion's side of the Spine of the World mountains.
>>
>>54875758
>Frog Clan
Man, the Kaeru must hate you.
>>
>>54875758
It's the Crab who own most iron mines in Rokugan, which is just as well since they only have a small strip of arable land and it's not enough to feed all of the clan so they need to trade their iron and derived products (namely, weapons) to other clans. Lion trading their food for Crab arms is common, especially when Crane and Scorpion want to enforce blockades.
>>
>>54876066
The Crab own more mines than other clans, but it's probably not most overall. What they do have is better steel than everyone else, because the Kaiu have better metallurgy than everyone else, and that's the resource that gets traded out a lot.
>>
>>54876128
I thought that was the Dragon while the Agasha are still one of their families.
>>
>>54876224
Nah. The Agasha definitely had good steel, but nothing compares to Kaiu steel in either quality or production numbers. Every clan has their own sources of steel, and they all have at least one nearly mythical source and process that they use for their sacred weapons, but as far as general purpose steel goes, it's Kaiu or inferior.
>>
>>54875670
Oh, nvm then
>>
>>54875670
Actually I noticed one, I think it had 3rd edition stuff, was taken down. It's really only direct links, and of those, typically only OP links go down.
Just people tend to report stuff to feel like they ruined someone's day, so make it harder to notice that sorta thing. Ask The share thread, they've certainly noticed it.
>>
https://pastebin.com/zXYa3imc
>>
>>54876224
>>54876791
The Agasha came up with the RL fundamentals for smithing a katana in the 400s. Dragon have gold mines more than anything, and gold isn't especially valued in Rokugan for itself.
>>
Anyone doing an online RP game? I'd love to play instead of being Forever DM because no-one else can come up with anything.
>>
>>54859339
Are you talking about testing as in the beta or as in the currently spoiled cards?
>>
>>54878638
I know that feel all to well bro. Every Forever-dm wants to cut loose once in a while...
>>
So guys, why do you think L5R is a good CCG? I'm asking not out of disrespect, but because Im interested into the setting, I wanted to know what you guys thinks about it the game so far (or maybe the old editions).
>>
>>54880149
I think its just a great setting. That, and players results influenced the world, which was a fantastic hook to get people interested whilst also showing character growth of fan faves etc.

New LCG is more interesting as a game due to its multiple moving pieces style. For instance I just lost due to missing how much honour I had on a bid.
>>
>>54879895
>>54878638

No crab allowed?
>>
>>54880554

What?

I just want a game man
>>
>>54880630
I really don't like crab, especially for first time players
>>
ey guys, last of the cards have been revealed:
http://imgur.com/a/SsDgw
>>
>>54879895
>>54878638
I would GM but I'm a dirty, degenerate ERP GM
>>
>>54881755
sounds like you'ld go into depth with Geisha houses... maybe ya could play a Scorpion Geisha.
>>
>>54881663
Does anyone have a picture of that one crane clan scout or the seppun guardsman?
>>
>>54881755
Scorpian clan political campaign
>>
File: 43 Cautious Scout.jpg (224KB, 513x722px) Image search: [Google]
43 Cautious Scout.jpg
224KB, 513x722px
>>54881832
>>
>>54881854
>>54881790
>>54881755
Clearly we have a plan. We all play scorpion whores
>>
File: 123 Seppun Guardsman 2.png (236KB, 300x418px) Image search: [Google]
123 Seppun Guardsman 2.png
236KB, 300x418px
>>54881832
This is a cleaned up proxy, but it's a copy of the beta one from the French beta reveal.
>>
>>54881394
Why not?
My inclination would be to let noobs be Crab so it's ok for them to be social retards- Crabs can literally get Courtside Handlers.
>>
>>54882286
Not all Crabs are Hida Bushi.
>>
>>54882304
This is true, but does not answer my question.
>>
>>54882286
I don't like having players being literal social retards who ignore the setting. I know crab exist partially for this but I like players who are socially involved and setting aware. Crab clan players tend to be the people who wanted to play DnD but couldn't find a game besides L5R/ mute combat robots activated only by the shedding of blood
>>
>>54882364
Makes sense! I've not had that problem, but I've had two players who had actual learning disabilities/developmental disorders (only for a brief time). Mostly they were fine, but every now and then they needed a reminder of what ya need to do in palaces rather than on their walls.
>>
I'm 90% sure Scorpion are going to sweet Gencon. They are obviously the most powerful clan right now and the champion is just straight up a league of his own compared to the others.
>>
>>54882495
sweep*
>>
>>54880554
>>54881394

Oh right >>54880630 here, I'd play a Lion or a Scorpion, depending on what the GM wants.
>>
>>54882364
Ignoring the setting is the only way to play. Not everyone has the time or the inclination to wade through five books of mandatory metaplot and winter court posts to figure out what the fuck is going on.
>>
>>54881962

Totally In
>>
>>54882364
then again, there are Crab of the Kaiu family, the courtiers there are really merchants... well... they go at it like used care salesmen, but ya have to give it to them, they make some fun trinkets and some great gear.
>>
>>54881755
I mean, that sounds fun actually. Run it m8.
>>
Reminder that you can play the full game RIGHT NOW on Tabletop Simulator. It's all been spoiled.
>>
>>54883694
Been playing it for months. My record is like 1-20
>>
>>54883694
>>54883744
Nice, now to see how everyone honored control crane works
>>
>>54881755
L5R ERP is just classic.

I remember lots of forum L5R games with big, explicit NO ERP disclaimers.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (24KB, 304x271px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
24KB, 304x271px
L5R Discord for Tabletop Simulator LFG: https://discord.gg/QHza7tg
>>
>>54883762
It's what we need, shota mantis clan bushi with Mommy scorpion shudenja, crane and dragon lesbians, BDSM freak crab bushi with an eta sub, unicorn and lion beastiality masters
>>
>>54883753
I'm switching between Aggro Ponies, UltraPol Scorp and Control Lion personally
>>
>>54883793
Fuck, if only F-List had more L5R profiles. I've seen all of two or three.
>>
>>54883830
I keep hearing that midrange and even honor ponies > aggro ponies. Their card draw is insane.
>>
>>54883843
What do ponies have that give them card draw?
>>
>>54883896
Ide Trader and Spyglass. All their other effects enable those like fuck.
>>
>>54883843

Card draw gets you more Aggro with Aggro ponies.

With Cavalry Reserve and a splash of Sashimono and For Greater Glory, your aggro cannot be stopped
>>
>>54883830

Correction, Aggro Lion as well.
>>
>>54884330
Except to get that card draw you have to devote resources to non-aggro.
And draw doesnt get you much aggro. Most characters are in the dynasty deck.
>>
>>54884377
>draw doesnt get you much aggro.

If your entire conflict deck is stuff like Charge, Ready for Battle, Cavalry Reserves, you can get a bit of aggro going.

Unicorn can't into defense, your best wish is to just break everything before he breaks you.
>>
>>54883843
How would honor ponies even work? It doesn't seem like there are a whole lot of enablers to gain honor right now, other than picking low numbers on the dial during the draw phase.
>>
>>54884565
Lion or Phoenix splash, Giver of Gifts, insane card draw, always bidding 1.
>>
>>54884565
ring effect - take one from enemy or 2 from the pool. That is a lot of honor considering most clans start around 10 - 12 so need like 13 to win?
>>
File: doubt.png (85KB, 492x280px) Image search: [Google]
doubt.png
85KB, 492x280px
>>54884584
>>54884643

So honour blade + giver of gifts and air/fire every turn until you drop?
>>
>>54884774
Or something involving Know the World and Seeker of Knowledge
>>
>>54884787
Better going Kimono and Display of Power. Seeker is trash
>>
File: Yodotai.jpg (165KB, 1000x759px) Image search: [Google]
Yodotai.jpg
165KB, 1000x759px
>>54845199
Kami are asleep, invade Rokugan!
>>
>>54884851
If the Kami are asleep, whose spirits are leading your armies?
>>
>>54882591
The mainbook has a quick and good timeline. I tell new players that those pages are enough, and usually they are.
>>
>>54881962

I've never played a Scorpion before so I'll need some coaching.
>>
>>54882591
You are the cancer that will be rooted out of the l5r community. GO play MTG you little usa born ignorant motherfucker
>>
I am not a fan of the setting either.
>>
>>54885744

To be fair, you have to have a sort of attitude of letting the odd thing slide here and there settingwise as its hard to keep up with the minutiae of courtly manners in this game.
>>
>>54885784

Definitely. I'd be very lenient woth letting players take back social missteps, since they can't be expected to know Rokugani etiquette as well as their characters.
>>
Anyone know what the current year was in Rokugan before whatever resets FFG is doing? How many years passed between the Destroyer War and Iweko II coming to power?

Also, if you guys don't mind, I could really use a list of major wars that happened between Toturi I taking power and Iweko II taking power. By major, I mean the ones that involved a good portion of Rokugan; Think like the Destroyer War and the Oblivion Gates.
>>
>>54881962
But who will run it? And how do we get in contact with them?
>>
>>54883793
>>54883842
>>54886147
Go West my children. Go to /soc/, and the thread of /erp/. There I shall wait for you and tales of erotic politics will await
>>
File: 1501347252025.jpg (79KB, 496x515px) Image search: [Google]
1501347252025.jpg
79KB, 496x515px
>>54887064
Noice
>>
File: 124 Keeper Initiate.png (389KB, 430x600px) Image search: [Google]
124 Keeper Initiate.png
389KB, 430x600px
Anybody try out the new Initiates? What are people's thoughts on them? They seem pretty fucking rad if you ask me.
>>
File: 126 Seeker Initiate.png (372KB, 430x600px) Image search: [Google]
126 Seeker Initiate.png
372KB, 430x600px
What role does your clan want, and why?
>>
>>54889929
everyone wants seeker of earth because ancestral lands and entrenched position is rad as shit.
>>
Ban Meishodo or Investigate Meishodo. What do you think, /tg/ and why?
>>
>>54891062
Investigate because I like unicorn more than pheonix, plus the more weird stuff in the setting the better, third fuck pheonix
>>
>>54891099
Yeah but imagine the Otomo also having Meishodo.
>>
>>54889929
Seeker is the better of the two cards, not too sure on the element honestly since I don't know provinces too well. If not Seeker then keeper of fire since I like crane
>>
>>54891131
Seeker Initiate is clearly the weaker of the two. It's ability is stronger, sure, but it's a 1/1/2 for 2. You can only guarantee its ability if you have the first player token, which might involve keeping it in a province wasting away while you set it up, and the payoff is a semi-tutor.

Keeper Initiate on the other hand has the exact same stats, and every other turn when you can ensure you get the claim a ring you get all of them back form your discard pile. You don't even have to play him out, you can just discard him at the end of turn. Every other turn you get up to three 1/1/2s to defend or attack or sacrifice or whatever.

Seeker has the better role card. Keeper has the better character card.
>>
>>54891168
>You can only guarantee its ability if you have the first player token, which might involve keeping it in a province wasting away while you set it up, and the payoff is a semi-tutor.
Winning a fight on defense will still trigger Seeker Initiate. Same with Keeper Initiate, for that matter. It's still an inefficient use of resources, but it does work.
>>
>>54891196

If something is inefficient, then it is bad.
>>
>>54891425
I didn't say it was good. I said that you're just as capable of guaranteeing its ability on defense as you are on offense.
>>
>>54891062
My answer is in >>54848974
>>
>>54891864
Rokugan must adapt to the Unicorn just as the Unicorn must adapt to Rokugan, snowflake.
>>
>>54891864
Do you want to know the ultimate bit of salt?
There may not even be a Unicorn hatamoto in the vote because it turns out that Unicorn suck hard in the single core format. They don't have nearly enough cavalry to use their SH well and a good chunk of their cards turn off because of it. Plus it's a slow, defensive format.

The salt is going to be immense, I predict.
>>
>>54891872
You can have my meishodo when you get the Lion to stop dabbling in necromancy. The Scorpion even proved they aren't always calling up the spirits they say they are.
>>
>>54891907
Crab strong.
>>
>>54891907
They'll be a hatamoto if even one player plays 'Corn. The top player of each clan gets named hatamoto. He just might not make it out of the swiss rounds.
>>
>>54891954
No no no. All the players that go 5-0 in swiss are Hatamoto. The top of each clan will just decide the keeper/seeker roles.
>>
>>54892025
At FFG's site

"At the end of the seven Swiss rounds, the top two players for each clan by standings will earn the esteemed Hatamoto title. Any player who does not earn the Hatamoto title this way and successfully reaches the Top 4 on Saturday will also be promoted. The Hatamoto title awards incredible prizes, a reserved seat for purchase at the next World Championship, and recognition in the Hall of Honor."
>>
>>54891954
>>54892025
>>54892071
You guys are both wrong. You're getting your tournaments mixed up.

On Thursday only 5-0 players will get Hatamoto and get to vote.
On Friday the top two of each clan will get Hatamoto and the top of each clan will participate in the role draft.

So the Unicorn will no matter what get two Hatamotos minimum, but if no Unicorns go 5-0 on Thursday then no Unicorn Hatamotos will be present for the vote.
>>
>>54892071
That's the friday tournament. The thursday tournament is when the smokeless fire story path will be decided. According to their website at least.
>>
>>54891907
Though as people have noted, there are other clans who would be interested in supporting the Unicorn and/or not curtailing to the demands of the Phoenix.
>>
>>54892119
You want to know something that makes that even worse, though?

Phoenix are far and away the strongest deck in single core. It would not surprise me at all if a plurality of Hatamoto on Thursday were Phoenix players.
>>
>>54892143
single core is 2 events only dude
>>
>>54892179
I get that. I'm just pointing out the sad irony of having a story decision between two clans in a format that heavily leans towards one and not the other. There's going to be a lot of salt when the Thursday vote has 8-10 Phoenix and 0-1 Unicorn Hatamoto voting.
>>
>>54892214
I'll live with this - mainly because the 1 time most players will pick Pheonix anyhow - I'm a scorpion but single core I would go Pheonix but then would vote so that Scorpion would benefit :P
>>
How many people will go 5-0 on thursday? How many entrants are there?
>>
>>54892250
keep in mind that if you become a hatamoto, you forfeit that title if you enter an event as a different clan.
>>
>>54892250
Granted, I'm not sure the Phoenix will be voting as a bloc, either. I know at least one person who will be playing Phoenix and who has a very good chance of making Hatamoto in my opinion who says that he'd vote against banning it. The Phoenix wouldn't be the Phoenix if they didn't jump at any possible opportunity to investigate evil and forbidden magic, you know?

>>54892299
There are 704 people registered for the event. There are also a number of people who will be trying to get in on generics, so you can be confident all 704 seats will be filled. With 704 seats and 5 rounds, exactly 22 people will go 5-0. It could potentially be less if enough people who are undefeated drop, especially later in the tournament.
>>
>>54892250
Also, this is my experience from testing, but Scorpion are probably the second best clan in single core, with Dragon taking up third. Been playing with leaked cards and proxies (having connections helps) for the past week and those three definitely stand out as the strongest in the format.
>>
>>54892323
>I know at least one person who will be playing Phoenix and who has a very good chance of making Hatamoto in my opinion who says that he'd vote against banning it.

I dislike how there's no incentive for anyone to vote any particular way. Crab and Lion are "supposed to" hate Unicorn but what's the downside of not voting along clan lines?
>>
>>54892363
>crab are supposed to hate unicorn
Since when? Is the lore really changed that much? The Crab and the Unicorn get along great after the very, very short period of time where the Crab thought they were foreign invaders.
>>
>>54892323
I'm also against banning as a scientist :D you should ALWAYS investigate - even if it leads to atomic bombs and such :P
>>
File: ss (2017-08-15 at 05.16.20).jpg (53KB, 633x150px) Image search: [Google]
ss (2017-08-15 at 05.16.20).jpg
53KB, 633x150px
>>54892385
From the smokeless fire story
>>
>>54892452
Well, that's a massive lore change then. Or just someone in-universe who doesn't know what they're talking about.
The Crab backed the Unicorn right away once it became clear what they were, partially because that cleansed any shame from the Crab, since it was just a clan beating a clan, and not their ancestral duty being failed. Then the Unicorn earned a lot of respect when the entire clan submitted to Kuni taint testing, and then they helped the Hiruma a ton by opening the doors to their scout school, and they don't judge the Crab for being a kind of outsider (Nor do the Crab judge them for being outsiders). There's a lot of mutual respect there in the old lore. Yeah, the Moto did a stupid, but only once, and they also fought on to fix their mistake.
>>
>>54892506
For context, the Smokeless Fire story was written by Katrina Ostrander, who is also the L5R story lead at FFG.

I think it's intentional, FWIW. FFG clearly wants the clans to be at odds with each other, and for the majority of the story to involve mostly inter-clan conflicts. To do that, it's important to make sure that nobody feels too buddy-buddy with each other.
>>
>>54892506
>Well, that's a massive lore change then.

Dude, we have the Burning Sands and the motherfucking Ivory Kingdoms invading Rokugan in the past now. The Crab hating on the Unicorn is a mild retcon compared to those.
>>
>>54891115
Otomo bullshittery means they might as well already have it along with any other magical tradition whose Clan they can tug strings on (so, everyone)
>>
File: Crane Clan Drow.jpg (178KB, 428x600px) Image search: [Google]
Crane Clan Drow.jpg
178KB, 428x600px
Farewell L5R General. Hopefully we'll get exciting news from Gen Con in a couple of days.
>>
>>54894263
Someone will make a thread right before a major event goes down. If they plan to stream the Kiku Matsuri or someone is going to live tweet it I know I will
>>
>>54891168
Keeper's recursion is disgusting; the fact that it triggers from province and discard make it better than seeker.

As for the roles themseleves, I think the influence bonus of Keeper will grow to be stronger than Seeker.
>>
>>54894344

There better be a VoD of the Kiku Matsuri is all I'm saying. Fucking 2am over here in Aussieland
>>
>>54894856
If the stream on twitch, twitch automatically saves vods
>>
>>54894887

Some tend to put their VoDs behind paywalls. I haven't had much experience with FFG twitch, mind.
>>
>>54894887
>>54894856
>>54894927
It will be streamed on their Facebook site; they've said as much already. But all their prior streams are still up on their Facebook page for post-stream viewing.
Thread posts: 328
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.