[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Microprose Appreciation Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: 51NZ3GYP7VL.jpg (54KB, 422x500px) Image search: [Google]
51NZ3GYP7VL.jpg
54KB, 422x500px
X-Com is already /tg/-approved, but how come you don't get discussion about Microprose's other notable games?

Civilization 2 is a classic, and had its share of scenario expansions. Conflicts in Civilization was mostly historical, but had a pretty kickass After the Apocalypse scenario, where you could play as one of 3 human tribes trying to rebuild in a land full of mutants, eradicator robots, war boyz and sentient dinomen.

And then there was this gem. You had your "tribute" scenarios, like a platoon-level X-Com assault on Cydonia, where you mopped up the remains of the alien forces. You had colonization of Mars. Midgard. 19th century Imperialism, except everything from H.G. Wells and Jules Verne existed. You could explore King Solomon's Mines, while fighting off Martian War Machines with Lightning Cannons stolen from under Fu Manchu's nose!

If that isn't RPG or tabletop material, I don't know what is. RIP Microprose, you glorious bastards!
>>
As much as I want to have this thread and help you and discuss this stuff... well...

>>>/vr/
>>
File: AlphaCentauri.png (157KB, 256x324px) Image search: [Google]
AlphaCentauri.png
157KB, 256x324px
Sorry, but the uncontested best CIV game in history was made during the Firaxis era, not Microprose.
>>
Oh fuck yes
Sid Meier's Pirates
Airborne Ranger
Silent Service
All great for building your own imaginative RPs around
Probably a bunch I'm forgetting too
>>
>>54818287
SMAC-talk is for another thread, Drone.

Anyway, ways to run Microprose-inspired games?

I imagine X-Com Apocalypse is the easiest to adapt to a standard "party encounter" sort of game. Compared to regular X-Com, the scope is within a single city, you have far more organizations to deal with, you might need to have the party handle everything from PR ("Nothing to see here, no aliens here") to assassination missions to theft. Granted, it was always hilarious how in Apocalypse, the best way to make money prior to becoming Crazy Hassan's Toxigun Emporium was to thug into gang warfare and corner the Psiclone market. Hunt aliens, and push Psionic notdrugs, while pimping out your fleet of Phoenix Hovercars.

Gangsta. Don't forget this game let you dual-wield anything and everything.
>>
>>54818287
That's THE only good Firaxis game, thou. They never managed to reach that quality again, mostly because Reynolds left them.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.