[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

RWBY-like game

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 317
Thread images: 58

File: RWBY.jpg (63KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
RWBY.jpg
63KB, 960x540px
How do I make a RWBY like game without it being a RWBY ripoff? I want to recapture everything that made it good.
>>
>>54808754
Tell me what this is about, other than "generic harem simulator", which is what it looks like.
>>
>>54808754
You could just put a game in the setting if that's something your group would be up for.
>>
>>54808754
I run a game in the RWBY setting using the tri stat system. probably one of my funner games to run.

Just run a straight up RWBY game, unless your friends don't like it for some reason.

>>54808787

Its more of an "action battle waifu" deal. No harem or moe garbage and very little actual romance. Pretty fucking sweet so far.
>>
>>54808907
>very little actual romance
The fanbase is filled with enough shippers that not even dead characters can change that.
>>
File: 4d43571fdb1446f1329052bad1cb0fa2.png (546KB, 920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
4d43571fdb1446f1329052bad1cb0fa2.png
546KB, 920x1200px
>>54808754
Legends of the Wulin. It works perfectly for that high-flying, high-action Monty Oum-style combat and you just need minor tweaks to internal/external styles for the weird pseudo-magic that everyone who's a major main character has.

pic related best grill
>>
>>54808754
Here's the inevitable d20 opinion; I put together a campaign based around the setting minus about 50 years and what I could determine about its history. The World of Remnant bits have been giving me loads to work with. Refluffed a bit of it as magic so that the players didn't reject it out of hand upon realizing the actual source material.

Homebrewed a resource system wherein any magic has a required gold-cost in terms of a substance that, when applied by a willful soul toward an effect, reacts in a supernatural fashion.

PC party starting out in Mantle prior to The Great War and will be getting hints of things going south and hints of a malevolent entity guiding all involved parties toward conflict.
>>
>>54808754
>everything that made it good.
So nothing at all?
>without it being a RWBY ripoff?
I wouldn't worry about that, RWBY was already a rip off of a dozen other anime, magical fighting high school, with unnatural monsters that look suspiciously like the hollows from Bleach, part human part animals who only ever seem to have ears or a tail, MC fights with a bladed weapon despite an abundance of projectile weapons etc etc could not be any more generic
>>
>>54808787
>>54808907
its a fun "hack and slash?" game.

however, its short and not many different enemies. so you will probably get bored at after 5 hours.

worth buying on steam sale for a couple hours of fun with the friends.
>>
>>54808754

I know someone who used Mutants and Masterminds 3e to simulate semblances and aura very well, so use that
>>
>>54808787
Imagine the generic shonen anime that a typical weeaboo high school student fantasizes about making someday, except the absolute madman actually went and made it on a shoestring budget.
>>
>>54808907
>No harem or moe garbage

Bullshit, Ruby herself has gradually been transitioning to retard moe. She's grown less and less useful since the mid-season 1 finale.

In fact that was the last time she won clean against an actual threat and didn't need BIG TITTY NEE-SAN to carry her.

Or worse, season 4, where she's sidelined for The Amazing Adventures of Asian and Redhead.
>>
>>54808754
I've never actually watched RWBY, but am I correct in assuming that Yang is the only decent character of the main cast?
>>
>>54809113
>So nothing at all?
We're talking about RWBY, not your sexual history.
>>
>>54809244
She had no character development until the end of season fucking 3, and before that she hadn't even really been established as a character to begin with. Somehow she's still a better character than Ruby, who still has no real personality to develop.
Weiss is still best girl tho, even though she did fuckall in season 4
>>
>>54809274
RWBY is derivative garbage that appeals to the kind of person that would consume anything that vaguely resembles anime regardless of quality, as long as it has waifus and shipping.
No need to be ashamed about liking something that is made to appeal to the lowest common denominator, has shitty animation that is surpassed by 10 year old cgi, and is basically completely fucked when it comes to having any shred of originality or plot quality.
The only good thing to come out of it is the OST.
P.s. fuck your waifu.
>>
>>54809122
We're talking about the show, not the shitty videogame adaptation.
>>
>>54809332
>She had no character development until the end of season fucking 3

That's good. That's a good thing. Or at least it WOULD have been a good thing if she'd done what her character type is SUPPOSED to do and fucking die at the end of season 3 instead of just get crippled so she could indulge in Yangpain.

Characters like Yang exist solely to promote the development of other characters. Developing them is a mistake.
>>
>>54809332
>best girl
>racist, spoiled rich bitch whose "character growth" comes from being browbeaten into being a halfway decent person before moving on to her next bit of shitty, bratty behavior
>>
>>54809109
>Dragon fucking a kangaroo island
>>
>>54809244
She's just the generic snarky gurl brawler, then she got her arm chopped by discount Vergil from Devil May Cry and had some PTSD for a bit, then she got a robot arm.
>>
>>54809510
>Racist
>When every single Faunus has either been a thief, liar, terrorist or untrustworthy
>>
>>54808754
I want to FUCK that titty kitty!
>>
>>54809549
>forgetting Velvet like this
She did NOTHING wrong.
>>
>>54809274
Oh no a stranger on the internet called me a virgin, I'm traumatised!
>>
>>54809244
Team RWBY
>Hyperactive moeblob
>Uptight rich girl
>Broody McTrustIssues
>Snarktits McFistPunch

Team JNPR
>-10 HP prodigy who's tired of being famous
>Bumbling but well-meaning leader dude
>Stoic Asian guy
>Loud chick with a grenade launcher/hammer
>>
>>54809585
Her semblance is to literally steal other people's abilities
>>
>>54809622
No, you dumdum, only their weapon and the skill to use it. She can't copy semblances.
>>
>>54808754
Wushu.

http://danielbayn.com/wushu/
>>
>>54809555
Blake a shit, Blake's mom is the new hotness.
>>
>rwby
>everything that made it good

Rwby is a terrible show that's only saving grace is good music and great fighting choreography (and the guy who made that happen is now dead) neither of which is ideally represent in tabletop form.

If you like it then whatever but I don't think rwbys good traits translate well to this medium.
>>
File: 6ba67db117bad040182990256370cf79.jpg (109KB, 1195x800px) Image search: [Google]
6ba67db117bad040182990256370cf79.jpg
109KB, 1195x800px
>>54809049

>A Legends of the Wulin fan

BROTHER
>>
File: IMG_4140.png (405KB, 600x925px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4140.png
405KB, 600x925px
>>54809049
>>54810054
PDF?

Also, pic related is actual best grill.
>>
>>54808754
There's an RPG called Wushu where the more intricate, violent choreography you work into your attacks and defenses, the stronger they are.
It's practically tailor made for RWBY.
>>
>>54809617
>>stoic asian guy
Who is also -10hp
rip

>>54808754
I've been somewhat interested in something similar, I think making a system for highly customizable weapons would be really cool. Anyone know systems that do this?
>>
>>54810303
Ren aint dead though. Unless he an Nora are boneing. Then his pelvis is just gone.
>>
>>54810303
>-10hp
Just the original VA. Secret Asian Man is probably doing alright story-wise, no real reason to kill him or Thor until later story elements where they've had time to showcase the ship a bit more so that it matters when one of them dies near the end and sets up the other to hold the line against impossible odds to buy Team Show Title to make a break for The Wicked Witch of the West.
>>
>>54810349
Please no, dont kill the only thing this shows got left. JNR at least have comfy fun times compared to RWBYs ever growing autism
>>
File: Coco.Adel.full.1827262.jpg (363KB, 707x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Coco.Adel.full.1827262.jpg
363KB, 707x1000px
>>54810349
>coolest girl Coco
Nice.
>>
Welcome to the autism parade. I'm actually in a RWBY game. In Anima. All it has is a houserule for aura as a shield bar. Other than that we just fluff all the semblance shit with ki techs and limit classes to martials. It requires a group willing to not break the game on purpose but otherwise, it's been pretty good.
>>
>>54809332
She did less than fuckall in season 4, and took way too much screentime doing it.

They really need to get their shit together for the next season.
>>
File: rl3MTzj.jpg (890KB, 1749x954px) Image search: [Google]
rl3MTzj.jpg
890KB, 1749x954px
>>54810117

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ive72a5iuyr8uyi/Legends+of+the+Wulin+-+Bookmarked.pdf

Core rulebook

http://www.mediafire.com/file/uyagpexh95hpq6t/HalfBurntManual_FINAL.pdf

Fanmade content

http://www.mediafire.com/file/bu9p1ky87dd9rl4/LOTW+reference+sheet.pdf

Rules quick reference

http://www.nuklearpower.com/2012/01/11/nerding-it-up-with-legends-of-the-wulin/

Why it's awesome
>>
File: 1402786453608.jpg (222KB, 1024x724px) Image search: [Google]
1402786453608.jpg
222KB, 1024x724px
>>54810532

Say something if those links are dead btw, mediafire does some shadowbanning shit these days so I don't know if my links are dead
>>
>>54810532
Thanks anon, the links work fine. I'll definitely be giving this a read.
>>
>>54808754
Get better taste in pop culture
>>
I liked it when their weapon creativity was better, hell ruby hasn't used her war-scythe in a few seasons.
>>
>>54809343
People only got into RWBY initially because it was more of Monty Oum's over-the-top fight choreography, except now it was in an original setting with original characters and an original plot to go with it. Indeed, for the longest time, the fight choreography was the only redeeming part of the series.
>>
File: ova-revised.jpg (212KB, 500x709px) Image search: [Google]
ova-revised.jpg
212KB, 500x709px
I'm probably going to shill OVA as another RPG you might want to check out, I find it works quite well for this kind of setting.
>>
File: strike_cover.png (740KB, 460x595px) Image search: [Google]
strike_cover.png
740KB, 460x595px
Strike!, because if you are going to have lot of fighting, it may as well be good.

It's also one of the games that give 0 shits about realism.
>>
>>54809244
not even a little bit.
>>
>>54811788
I actually have to agree with you. While the animation is bad, the choreography itself was pretty good.
>>
>>54808754
I'm curious, why do all character names sound like they've been ripped off from some lazy fanfic oc's?
>>
>>54813094
Apparently monty made a rule wherein everyone had to have some form of color in their name and be based off a fairytale character.

It gets really old after 2 episodes.
>>
>>54813206
Okay, so I'm thick. As far as I can tell, only Ruby, Weiss, and maybe Qrow are.

What fairy tail is Yang supposed to be? She's a generic snarky biker chick
>>
>>54813312
Goldilocks I think. There's a male Joan of Arc, a female Achilles, a Sun Wu Kong, etc.
>>
>>54813324
Yup shes golidlocks. For some their fairytales mean everything and others they might have well not bothered. Yang is definitely in the that camp. As are Ren and most of the villians

Also unrelated mostly. I dont think I have ever seen a fanbase as batshit about shipping as RWBYs. Like jesus H christ is that all people care about when it comes to that show?
>>
>>54808907
>cute animu gril
>no moe garbage
>>
>>54813312
There are RWBY characters based off of internet memes, don't worry too much about it.
>>
>>54808754
Fuck Rooster Teeth.
>>
>>54814579
No-one asked you, Church.
>>
>>54810044
pretty much this
>>
What's with the sudden resurgence in RWBY threads across the boards lately? The villains seem to be the best part of the show, but the latest season went full Fellowship of the Ring with the amount of walking they did.

I want Yang to actually do something besides job hard, like maybe Big-O someone with her new robo arm
>>
>>54816957
For some reason, Japan loves it. Mori is making a crossover with BlazBlu, Miwa Shirou is making a manga, and by all accounts the Japanese dub is considered superior, though I suppose that's no surprise given the RWBY English VAs are all amateurs while the Japanese use big pros like Shizuka Itou. Then, all this stuff got sent back to the America. Hence the resurgent interest.
>>
>>54816957
The villains are the best part? What?
Except for Bowler hat and Umbrella (who were great) they are all empty shells of "I'm evil because...I am!"

They have less personality them the main cast, which is genuinly an accomplishment
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (138KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
138KB, 1920x1080px
>>54816991
For real. It cannot be overstated just how much Japan loves RWBY.
>>
>>54817054
I guess people over there just love Monty's CUHRAYZEE fights.
>>
>>54817054
IIRC it's even broadcasted on a major television network on prime time, as well.
>>
>>54817082
It's the only reason to watch it.

Too bad he died and the franchise went sideways.
>>
>>54817082
Well yea, Monty's fights were genuinly well made.
Why else would anyone watch it?
>>
>>54817082
>>54817082
You have to remember what Japan's dealing with on their cable networks. Lots of derivative shounen crap where action sequences consist of only a few frames of animation that the show explains as supernatural dodging ability, followed by needlessly wordy exposition. Bleach? Naruto? Dragonball Z? Hell, Dragonball Super is brand new, but that fight scene with Hit and Goku illustrates animators are still cutting costs on TV shows over there. Is there little surprise Japan loves RWBY when put in that context?
>>
File: Ae8VF7f.png (4MB, 1720x2400px) Image search: [Google]
Ae8VF7f.png
4MB, 1720x2400px
>>54817178
Because it's waifubait to boot?
>>
>>54809622
> literally steal other people's abilities
Pirate, anon. Stealing removes the original. Piracy makes a copy.
>>
>>54808754
RWBY/Remnant, whatever one's qualms with the show, it does present some merits for /tg/ The question is what draws you there for tabletop?

>The Grimm
Easily done in just about any RPG that supports significant combat, just warp the setting so monsters (or even a specific subset of monster) are fucking everywhere and probably going to mess up folks who stay from civilization without combat skill. I mean, fuck, this is just oldschool D&D with an increased rate of random encounters.

>The Kingdoms & the dynamic of civilization
Establish bastions of civilization that rest MOSTLY separated from one another, with gulfs of wilderness in between for whatever reason. Let there be major trade routs, but not serious interface.

>The Main Plot
Apply a subversive common enemy to a world largely at peace. the RWBY Villains are (supposed to be) sneaky fucks good at running false flag operations, which could be a fun campaign especially

>The fighting
There are a lot of options for this listed on the thread but
>ctrk+f Kamigatkari
> 0 Results
Check it out. There are threads for it fairly frequently and its system is very inclined to build high-energy sets of moves/powers and a unique special personal weapon.

>The cast
There is no hope for you. Not necessarily because the cast is bad (Personal opinion: They're totally serviceable with Weiss, Ren, and Nora being a wee bit stronger since they've gotten actual development. Others, will, obviously, disagree) but because the cast of an RPG is the PCs.
>>
>>54817364
>especially
Teach me to edit on the fly. Ends with unfinished sentences it does

Especially in a more politically complex environment than the one in the show.
>>
>>54814572
I just about three my computer out the window when Neon Katt showed up.
>>
>>54809617
Team RWBY
>Hyperactive moeblob
>Uptight rich girl
>Broody McAvoidantpersonalitydisorder
>Snarktits McFistPunch

Team JNPR
>Tragicaly perfect mary sue so beautiful and skilled it's a curse/Cheating haxxor faggot tard that brought her isolation on herself (Pick one)
>Sokka, minus the intelligence and reason to exist
>Asian Cipher Rage
>Hyperactive moeblob x6

>>54809622
Team COFFEVE
>some big dude with big sword
>some skinny fox dude
>Uptight rich girl x2 except with a broken minigun that trivializes everything else on the planet unless she's Jobbing today
>bland blank slate with the shittiest weapon possible, a camera that becomes A WORSE COPY of whatever it takes a picture of, breaking after three uses like a LOZ weapon. Her semblance lets her copy skills and reuse animations.
>>
>>54814572
I think Flint Coal and Neon Cat were one-off joke characters. Still fucking dumb, though. Even dumber that they turned that "Haha Flint Coal would be a good name" forced meme from their Rooster Teeth minecraft LP into a character on the same team as Nyan Cat girl.
>>54814579
Yep. Look up "Lettergate". Apparently, after Monty Oum died, there was a power-grab by the new writers, who are trying to erase all traces of Monty from the show and "Fix" the "Silly" awesome level the show used to have by making it "Deep" like it was in season 4.
>>54813378
That's all there is to talk about. Talking about whether the show is good or bad now is banned, discussing characters got banned "Because it caused too many fights", and you can't speculate on what the show might do with its world because the reality will always be more disappointing than the worst fan theory.
>>
>>54808754
Play D&D 3.5. It's enough of an unbalanced dumpster fire to fit, and someone somewhere has posted shitty homebrew for you to use.
>>
>>54821152
Wait the subreddit literally banned discussing the show? What the actual fuck. How deep are their heads in the ground.

As for writing why havent they fired them yet if its this bad? Serious question, how do those fuckers still have their jobs!?
>>
>>54821966
Not in a literal, honest "No dissent" ban. More in a "If you start discussing the show in anything other than a 100% positive mindless-praise 'iz so gud im gonna die!' way, the shitposting hive mind will attack you and tell you to fuck off and accuse you of being a hated critic's alt, then when the fight is over, claim the fight was your fault for displeasing them" way.

Posting videos of critics discussing RWBY in anything other than a 100% positive manner will get you attacked by the hive mind AND warned by staff, even if you say disclaimers like "I like the show overall but I find his points regarding plot interesting to discuss".
>>
>>54809332
>even though she did fuckall in season 4
Nobody did fuckall in season 4, except MAYBE Blake and Sun. Just watch the first and last episode and you miss nothing worthwhile.
>>
File: IMG_0517.jpg (46KB, 500x329px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0517.jpg
46KB, 500x329px
>>54809527
Cannot be unseen
>>
With the way transforming weapons and semblances work in this series, what OC could be made that would be horrendously broken, but in a fun way?
>>
>>54823009
Anything involving gravitation. Energy form shift would be interesting. "This bullet is moving fast and thus has high kinetic energy, but my semblance allows me to convert that energy into heat, or light or electricity or etc."

Also anything involving time would pretty much just win.
>>
>>54823174
>Fire-themed girl with a bolter/chainsword that can turn a spray of bullets into immolation at a moment's notice
>>
>>54808754
What part of RWBY are you trying to recreate, OP? I assume either huntsmen or trainee huntsmen at one of the academies. Either way, you'll want a contractor/teacher to keep the plot going, and can then fill it in in whatever way you want. No different from any other game, really, as long as you keep the themes in mind.

As for a system, FATE or FAE are options, as aspects and stunts are a decent way to represent semblances and all the other half-magic going on. Funnily enough, Dark Heresy could easily be repurposed to fit RWBY. There's already rules for medieval, modern and futuristic weaponry with a bunch of upgrades and attachments. Furthermore, the way damage works in DH (a pool of hit points which can be lost with no adverse effect, after which further damage gives increasingly bad results on a critical hit table) can be used to represent aura without any changes.
>>
>>54823009
In duels, an aura stealing semblance would effectively be insta-win.
>>
>>54822706
Ren and Nora did somethings.

Also, wow they are really just trying to make Blake unlikeable as possible and Sun as big an idiot as possible. Do these guys not do test audiences or shop their shit around?
>>
>>54823009
I'd say the more relevant to the very basics of how the universe works the more powerful the semblance. Things that manipulate space and time and other aspects of physics have potential to be incredibly broken.
>>
>>54824283
>Ren and Nora did somethings
The only actually relevant thing they did was in the last episode though.

S4 felt like a massive disappointment to me. Any lightheartedness is gone, no advances were made to the plot while a lot of new plotlines were opened, and nearly all characterization that was done feels gone with everyone being a bland gritty warrior now. Also, I hated most redesigns. I just want to go back to Over-the-top Highschool Hijinks With Not Handsome Jack instead of this bland "dark" bullshit. I unironically think the chibi series is better than the main series at this point.
>>
>>54824508
I dont know about that. Shit like the highschool bullshit gave us the dance and still never adressed plot. All it was was Montys mary sue brigade acting retarded. Plus there weren't any hijinks outside the food fight
>>
>>54824508
>just want to go back to Over-the-top Highschool Hijinks With Not Handsome Jack

I agree, good taste.

>>54824639
>All it was was Montys mary sue brigade acting retarded.

So? When's the last time we got a show that was happy and silly, but could still take it's worldbuilding and action scenes seriously?

I'm tired of everything being dark and gritty. It sells well, because most plebs are only now discovering Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Dark Souls, Attack on Titan, etc, but as someone whose been watching anime for years, the dark gritty thing has lost all it's shock value.
>>
>>54824929
>When's the last time we got a show that was happy and silly, but could still take it's worldbuilding and action scenes seriously?
Shonen anime is usually like that.
>>
File: 1495403427325.jpg (60KB, 991x902px) Image search: [Google]
1495403427325.jpg
60KB, 991x902px
>>54820959
>Asian Cipher Rage
>>
>>54809971
>take Blake
>remove trust issues and a few inches of hair
>add earrings and 5-10 years
>>
>>54825093
Thank you. SSA-tier joke right there. To be honest, I never understood the need to give your protagonist a power that can render cool fight scenes irrelevant or unnecessary in a series that's supposed to pride itself on cool fight scenes. If I ever make a RWBY-like series, I'm making my "personal OC" strong, but not fuckin Cipher Rage.
>>54824953
But when's the last time something like this was made in the west, by a semi-amateur and a shoestring budget that didn't get a budget until after he died and an egomaniac shithead writer took the helm?
>>54824508
Wasn't this season literally just walking on foot to a place the farm kid easily got to the same time as them by taking the train?
>>54824283
I think writers got butthurt when Blake said "I always run away! That's what I hate about myself!" and fans were all "Lolwut? She ran that one time, but only to seek the white fang out herself". The writers are trying to retroactively give character traits and character flaws to the characters they write, AFTER the characters spell their traits and flaws out to the audience!

Also, the writers are trying WAY too hard to shill Qrow as the new badass to replace Pyrha. Pyrrha was a breath of fresh air because we're used to the hero's rival being better than the hero and an asshole (Sasuke/Bakugo). Instead, we get a rival that's better than the hero AND is nice and supportive to Jaune. Her "I love him but I'm too shy to say it" shit got old fast and I don't like her that much but there was a reason to like her as a character and person. And the writers accidentally made her sorta interesting and tragic and flawed with the "She cheats like a bitch and caused her own isolation, she's just too fucking stupid to see that or see why she's the reason why she isn't banging Jaune right now" thing. She had a reason to be a fan favorite, certainly more of a reason than Edgy Drunk Cool-uncle, Teh Penguin Of Doomhammers, Ragetits Punchlord, Cantspeak Mysterykick, or Bootleg Sokka.
>>
>>54825613
>Teh Penguin of Doomhammers.

Who?
>>
>>54809238
>She's grown less and less useful since the mid-season 1 finale.

>In fact that was the last time she won clean against an actual threat and didn't need BIG TITTY NEE-SAN to carry her.

Well, it's no secret that a defining part of her character is that she's younger than the rest of her team and at a distinct disadvantage. The only reason she has any kind of edge is because of her eye thing, which hasn't been expanded on much. At least not in practical terms. Lore-wise it's at least been introduced.

>Or worse, season 4, where she's sidelined for The Amazing Adventures of Asian and Redhead.

I'm actually glad that vol 4 was a bit heavier on Ren and Nora. They're the only characters that haven't really been expanded on much and it's nice to see them get some time in the spotlight. If there's not real backstory to them then they're really jyst no better than canon fodder supporting characters a-la any shonen anime.
>>
>>54808924
Shippers don't count because nobody outside of their own shitty world likes them or cares about what they have to say.
>>
>>54826522
Considering the shit they put in the soundtrack they seem to have a scary amount of power.
>>
>>54826571
RT has always been big about pandering to their community, for better or worse. Keeping it in the soundtrack though at least makes it considerably less obvious. The rest of us are free to ignore it with no effort. The code names of the team attacks in season 2 and three are ship names, but you wouldn't know that normally. I only know because it was mentioned on the TV Tropes page.
>>
>>54814182
Aww you think shes cute? :3
>>
>>54825613
>Wasn't this season literally just walking on foot to a place the farm kid easily got to the same time as them by taking the train?

>This episode on RWBY, pick five:
>Ruby, Jaune, Ken and Nori find an abandoned village
>Sun and Blake talk about how bad the White Fang is
>Some kid called Oscar has voices in his head
>Weiss has daddy issues
>Yang is being depressed
>The League of Evil is having a board meeting
>Crow Do'urden is being an edgelord

Man, fuck season four.
>>
>>54827290
>spend an entire episode building up the big 2sp00ky stretch armstrong grimm as a serious threat, actually does a pretty good job
>episode ends on a cliffhanger
>spend the entire next episode ignoring the stretch armstrong grimm subplot until the last few seconds
WHY?
>>
>>54827290

But if Yang didn't spend a season being depressed, people would complain because muh realism.

Weiss has always had daddy issues, Blake has always talked about how bad the white fang is with Sun, and Crow Do'urden has always been an edgelord.
>>
>>54827447
Because they're idiots?
>>
I'm currently planning an Exalted 3e game inspired in part by RWBY (more the action and trailers than the actual show). It's probably going to take a while to get off the ground, which is probably just as well, since Arms of the Chosen (Evocations are one of the main raesons I want to use this system for this game, though I don't know how much more tat book will add) and the Dragonblooded book would probably be useful.

Kamigakari is an obvious choice. Legends of the Wulin could be good, too. I like the way action "feels" in that game a lot. Mutants and Masterminds could do the job, too. It works surprisingly well for stuff like that and it's a breeze to learn and run. Of the games I've personally played those are the ones that come immediately to mind.
>>
>>54827931
I'll say it now I'll say it again.
If RWBY had the same amount of episodes per season as RvB then vol4 would have been actually good, with the writers having room to fit everything in smoothly.
Well they would except for the fact that Miles and Kerry are shit writers and the series was doomed the moment Monty kicked the bucket.
>>
>>54817199
But all of those characters were complete shit. Shit characters can't be waifus.
>>
>>54812329
Been meaning to try this out for a while now. Seems easy enough to get into if you just give it a session.
>>
>>54808754
You are going to need some sort of wondrous substance that powers amazing devices (like dust), at few decent sized continents with at least one big nation each, some sort of persist ant background threat that should always be on the players minds, the PCs to have one innate special ability, and some sweet comprehensive weapon creation rules.

If you can work those out you will have your very own not!RWBY. Seriously make the weapon creation rules. If you do nothing else that can still probably capture what you love about the series so long as your players are creative with their choice or armaments.
>>
>>54833023
If shit characters can't be waifus, then why are people's waifus always shit?
>>
>Ctrl+F 'besm'
>0 results
I feel like BESM was designed for this sort of thing?
>>
>>54808754
To get discussion slightly back on track: RWBY is just one series in a long line of the whole "re-imagining fairytales" thing that's so popular nowadays. You can take inspiration from The Wolf Among Us or any of the recently-released life-action fairytale movies.

The trick is to not be "LOL IT'S FAIRYTALES DUDE" in everyone's face. Symbolism like you know from fairytales (the apple, the snake, the kiss) can be used to great effect. Likewise, you can just have the party effectively mimick your favourite fairytale without them finding out if you're a bit sublte about it.
>>
>>54810514
I heard Anima was a shit for combat, though. No real issues there?
>>
>>54821152
>Lettergate

You mean when the guy who worshipped Monty and his wife, who is literally crazy and had been kept around only because he would do whatever Monty needed done, went even more crazy after Monty's death and started accusing everyone of corrupting Monty's perfect vision, which had been entrusted only to his closest friend and most loyal acolyte? The guy who saw it as sacrilege when people said, "Terrible that we lost Monty, but at least now we don't have to use his ridiculous workflow and hodgepodge of tools that had built his auteur cred, and we can actually start doing things like a company with multiple employees does?"

That was only a thing because Roosterteeth let Shane go for being too crazy, he published his tinfoil hat manifesto about how he was being persecuted and everyone was out to ruin RWBY, and they had to crack down on discussions on the subreddit/site because Shane was trying to kill himself because of the feedback.
>>
File: RWBY Yang Reload.gif (2MB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
RWBY Yang Reload.gif
2MB, 320x180px
I was working on a homebrew using Fireborn rules, because I like the pull system from that game and I find it works well for anime bullshit where you can hurt someone with words and emotions just as you can with physical weapons.

It went alright.
>>
>>54838098
Do you have a pdf of your homebrew?
>>
>>54808754
>I want to recapture everything that made it good.
So nothing?
>>
File: carlos.jpg (35KB, 700x514px) Image search: [Google]
carlos.jpg
35KB, 700x514px
>>54808754
>How do I make a RWBY like game without it being a RWBY ripoff?
Base it on CMYK instead.
>>
>>54831740
Annon it was already doomed, i mean fuck Monty didnt even handle any of the writing and if Shane Letters were anything his ideas were even more retarded
>>
>>54817082
Well both monty and the great fight scenes are gone now. There's not much of a reason to like it anymore.
On another completely unrelated note, I'm making rwby thing and I'm having trouble making semblances. How do people come up with superpowers?
>>
>>54840824
>How do people come up with superpowers?
There are literal dozens of superpower generators on the internet. I'm certain you can find one to your tastes. Furthermore, not everyone's semblance needs to come up in play, and if I recall correctly, most people don't even have one because their aura hasn't been activated.
>>
File: Cinder_zero_percent.png (474KB, 600x725px) Image search: [Google]
Cinder_zero_percent.png
474KB, 600x725px
>>54826501
No one's been expanded on that much except Blake and that fucker Jaune because the cast was bloated from the start and RT can do nothing but fuck around and waste valuable time. Why do I even watch this show? Why do I enjoy it?

>>54812329
This isn't even a bad idea.
>>
File: Title 2.png (141KB, 816x1056px) Image search: [Google]
Title 2.png
141KB, 816x1056px
>>54839107
I've got half a Word Document, a bunch of bullet points, and scattered notes on paper. Never pulled it together after the first playtest, because my group wasn't interested in the setting.
>>
>>54808754
I keep seeing this anime crap everywhere, what even is it
>>
>>54841219
Because your generally a fucking sheep who despite not liking something feels compelled to still take part
>>
File: THE_PLAN.png (1MB, 1366x666px) Image search: [Google]
THE_PLAN.png
1MB, 1366x666px
>>54824508
Volume 4 was disappointing for many I think because because it's actually closer to Volumes 1&2 than 3 let me explain.

Volume 3 was pacey and had a bunch of nice twists and emotional beats, we'd kind of got into a rhythm of "Oh okay it's just a battle school" in 1&2 and we were going into the inevitable tournament arc with 3 but then the arc becomes totally derailed as this "plan" the villain have been chasing in 1&2 that has been regarded as a bit of a joke till this point all suddenly goes off with reasonable success. A lot of exciting and hype worthy stuff goes down, things change.

Then Volume 4 hits, the main cast is split up following their own sub-plots all at once and just not a lot of stuff happens. Ruby goes on her journey and gets there, Weiss is in a bad place and leaves, Yang is upset for a whole volume then she's determined and Blake get something I guess with her "Oh I'm gonna take back the White Fang" but again it take the whole volume to get there. If back to the same routine of a bloated cast all dealing with their own little problems that end in the place they're expected to. It's back to what made RWBY so inadequate to begin with because I don't think the writers know how to do anything without massive amounts of preparation.

Ah well at least the Volume 5 animation looks nice.
>>
>>54841381
A animated series by Rooster Teeth and originally conceived by Monty Ome (Haloid and Dead fantasy guy) its entire production has been plauged by issues including Montys death. Its also in general a shitty show that trys really hard to be something out of Shounen Jump and it just fails horribly.

Basically it wanted to be One Piece and became Bleach's retarded sister
>>
>>54841586
I think the problem lies in that they legitimately cant think of any other conflicts for RWBY as they really have never lossed anything and RT are too gun jumpy to replace things.

Theres also the fact they want to be FMA with its huge cast and awesome adventures but they just dont have the time, budget, or talent to pull it off.
>>
>>54841656
I think they'd do a lot better if they just stuck tighter to the main letter cast, when you're working with 15 min episodes and you really need not play with 8 main characters or compartmentalise better.

Still I'd happy play a RWBY game, I want to go on shonen adventures with my friends.
>>
>>54841586
>it's actually closer to Volumes 1&2 than 3
At least this time they didn't spend 25% of the season on a cliched bullying arc for a supporting character
>>
>>54841810
The issue with that is that their work with the main letter cast has been a complete failure too Ruby is utterly worthless as a lead, Weiss lacks any good qualities, Blake is completely unlikeable, and Yang at this point exists so they can have her munch Blakes carpet by the end.
And it doesn't help that main series blueprint seems to be "Shitty K-on with guns"
>>
>>54842491
>Shitty K-on with guns
It's also a scythe
>>
>>54842133
Jaune is a main character.
>>
>>54842491
I agree with Ruby being worthless, and Blake is kind of meh for me, but I like Yang and Weiss right now. I think they're both having interesting developments, with Yang getting over her mom and maturing and Weiss trying to forge an identity independent of her family.
>>
File: Angry Best Girl Noises.gif (709KB, 500x250px) Image search: [Google]
Angry Best Girl Noises.gif
709KB, 500x250px
>>54842491
>Weiss lacks any good qualities
>>
>>54843131
She isnt even trying to forge an independent identity. Shes just trying to be like her grandfather.

As for Yang her mommy issues just dont go anywhere and feel so pointless. Instead of maybe making something compelling they just go "do you feel sorry for her yet" then theirs her fans (not accusing you particularly) who believes shes gods gift to fucking man and froth at the mouth when everyone is not bowing before her
>>
>>54843393
Hes wrong in that she doesn't have good qualities. But unfortunately none of them are not worth writing home about. Plus shes as bitchy as Blake and just like Blake its not endearing. The tsundere shit is old
>>
>>54844113
>But unfortunately none of them are not worth writing home about
So they're all worth writing home about.
>>
File: f2a.jpg (68KB, 700x643px) Image search: [Google]
f2a.jpg
68KB, 700x643px
>>54842491
>Yang at this point exists so they can have her munch Blakes carpet by the end.

This is a good trait that any red blooded anon should aspire to share.
>>
>>54841586
>Puppies: Probably not
Fuck your plan. We need puppies.
>>
File: Time For Some Fisting.png (534KB, 712x1123px) Image search: [Google]
Time For Some Fisting.png
534KB, 712x1123px
>>54844676
Be respectful, anon. They're just friends.
>>
File: White_Fang.png (137KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
White_Fang.png
137KB, 512x512px
>>54816957
Season 5 is starts in two months so people are re-watching and getting into a mood about applying it to their hobbies.
>>
>>54837769
The combat gets clunky sometimes especially when semblances get involved but in general I've enjoyed it. I will say that Anima is not the best system for it in my opinion but my game is on Roll20 so I'm just glad that I found a good group of people and a competent GM.
>>
>>54843098
And we're all poorer for it.
>>
>>54846071
I agree, but at the same time we were all poorer when they gave Monty any artistic direction for anything.
>>
>>54846071
Nope. His stuff is way more interesting than Ruby's. Wow, muh special animu protag power. Who cares?
>>
>>54825919
Nora. The "Teh penguin of doom" "Lolsorandumb" idiot with the hammer. The third member of Team JNPR. The one that's also somehow the only one with a logical well-thought-out weapon(Light weaps are shit, heavy weaps is where it's at, and it's an anime so grenades explode when you want them to. Also you can strike with the hammer then explode to swing it right back if you miss. And now it creates electricity to charge her up, too)

I fucking hate Jaune. He's so boring and bland and his plots are so dumb. His weapons are shit and his fights are obvious. The show would have been more interesting if he'd died instead of Pyrrha.

Also, fuck the white fang.

And fuck the "Deep mythos" the show has Qrow expositing to us. Really, "There was a good bro of light and a bad bro of darkness"? Study some fucking religions, they start with people bullshitting each other and making porquoi stories to try and understand why some things happen and others don't, then grow into religious systems where some actions are cool and heroic and others are evil and sinful. Usually. "A good bro made good shit and bad bro shat on his shit" is fucking garbage.
>>
>>54844773
God that face is horrifying.

>>54844676
I would if it didnt come down to ruining Yang and Sun as characters and generally just causing the fanbase to devolves into one of the most horrid of cancerous shit.
>>
>>54846136
Jaunes issue is his characterization is PERFECT for introspection and soul searching. He is basically a lost dog trying to find a master/goal/a meaning in life. Which in general is really great. But we just dont get that and we get the same underdog arc that we get every other day.
>>
>>54846136
I dont know if I agree with that. But I can agree that Ruby is an utterly awful protagonist who the story CONSTANTLY shills for and she never shoes jack and or shit for it.
>>
>>54846124
I don't even find him irredeemably dislikable he just makes no fucking sense.

Okay I get it writers you want a character you can explain world building to for our benefit but you chose the worst one possible. Jaune shouldn't be asking for loredumps he should shitting them out on command.

So he comes from a long line of hunters but doesn't know what aura is or how semblances work? Why?
Oh the only thing holding him back was something teaching him then how to fight then why did have to fake his way in?!
If you want to make Jaune incompetent then make him physically or emotionally inadequate but having him know nothing about stuff he should know everything about just makes it look like he's had a stroke or you don't know how your own world operates.
>>
>>54846136
The obligatory silver-eyes asspull was FUCKING DUMB. Whoever came up with it should be shot. If something Silver Eyes-ish is in that crossover fighting game, I'm going to headdesk and wish I was that fucking popular. A bad animu OC in a bad original animu got into a real life fighting game, that fucker is living my dream without even having to live, I'm so jealous and I hate it.

>>54833108
Weapon creation rules... How? And how do I balance something crazy like a minigun greataxe scythe?
>>
>>54846241
> you don't know how your own world operates

DING DING DING and we have a winner!.
>>
>>54846276
Eeyup. I can't tell if he really had this all planned out or if he was half-assing everything while claiming he spent long animation render times planning, but actually spent that time wanking.
>>
>>54846136
Well when you take 20% of every volume and give it to Jaune to do whatever he wants and have no idea what to with your supposed protagonist then yeah that'll be the result.

They honestly have no idea how to approach writing Ruby and don't know why. She's a prodigy that got shoved into a leadership role, she lost her mother, two of her few friends in a 24-hour span and almost lost her main male role-model last volume.

She's brimming with possibilities and yet every word that come out of her mouth is just some variation on "I'll do my best!"

>>54846255
The sliver eyes thing might be just a little clever if it's bullshit and she's actually just the Winter Maiden.
>>
>>54846381
The man decided his first grand gesture for the series was a map made of fucking ketchup on a napkin. He planned absolutely nothing out and now M&K are trying to unsuccessfully find some sense in it all
>>
>>54846387
Thing is even those things you listed aren't possibilities

>Mom
Yang already took this, and Ruby was too young for it to even matter

>Prodigy
Great no need to learn anything

>Leadership
Got over it in an episode

>Lost two friends
Pennys coming back, she wasn't Pyrrhas friend.

>Uncle
Is alive and probably saved his ass since the fight was at a standstill.

She has no potential, she never has
>>
>>54846146
>Nora. The "Teh penguin of doom" "Lolsorandumb" idiot with the hammer.

Nora is actually a pretty deep character. Her whole happy care free personality comes from hanging around Ren, whose special ability is to make himself and those around him fearless. Nora has basically been given such a steady drip feed of fearlessness for her entire life, that her personality has been affected by it on a deep level.
>>
File: 1479894120514.png (474KB, 1000x1529px) Image search: [Google]
1479894120514.png
474KB, 1000x1529px
>>54846255
>Stats and cost for minigun.
>Stats and cost for great-axe.
>Stats and cost for scythe.
Add all together. Require an action to switch from one form to the next, reduced by quick-draw styled character options.
>>
>>54846455
Issue being is that would have worked if that was not hamfisted in the last episode of Vol.4 plus all it does is say stuff about their dynamic but not Nora herself

Shes still the best girl in the entire show though.
>>
>>54846455
Strange, my "Headcanon" (Depth I percieve where there is none, to preserve my sanity) is that she acts super peppy and idiotic because her best friend's superpower is to make people calm and she's constantly afraid that it's messing with her. When she doesn't feel up to another day of acting like an ADHD kid on skittles and Nohoper, she forces herself to act EVEN DUMBER just in case it's his power's fault.
>>
>>54846452
For the prodigy thing it was more how she's still a child, naturally no one treats her like one and the age gap is forgotten about almost immediately.

>Pennys coming back
She better not
>she wasn't Pyrrhas friend
I don't feel that's strictly true and she at least feels responsibility for being right there as she got an arrow put in her.

You're right though that a lot of that is wrapped up and useless but that's still the writers' fault that she did have potential and they squandered it focusing on characters they or their girlfriends voice.
>>
>>54846571
The show is actively afraid to give her real flaws and goals because "shes a simple soul" and along with the frustration of "weak" female characters they are trying to make her Jesus without the actual depth or struggle Jman did
>>
>>54814572
>There are RWBY characters based off of internet memes,
Monty deserved what he got
>>
>>54846511
>Issue being is that would have worked if that was not hamfisted in the last episode of Vol.4
Character development can't be frontloaded anon. You need time to grow with the character first.

>it does is say stuff about their dynamic but not Nora herself
Nora IS the Ren dynamic though. Not only is she in love with him, she's emotionally reliant on him as well.

>Shes still the best girl
Good taste.

>>54846568
That would imply she doesn't like it. But it's hotter if she actually does.
>>
>>54846649
That's an interesting perspective I always just imagined the writers didn't care for her match and treated her more like a plot forwarding device than a person.

There's this cute scene when Cinder and the gang have infiltrated Beacon and she says something like "I'll see you around." and you think oh are they going to form a weird sort of fake-ish friendship that'll give us a look into our mysterious villain and add something to our featureless protagonist but NO it's just foreshadowing that Cinder's gonna do evil shit on campus later on and Ruby's gonna try and stop it and fail I might add because Ruby is a supreme jobber. God fuck this show and fuck me for keeping watching.
>>
>>54813312
>Ruby=Little Red Riding Hood.
>Weise=Snow White
>Blake=Beauty&The Beast, not sure which one.
>Yang=Goldilocks, possibly some bits with the Little Yellow Dragon name but that's wild guessing on my part rather than confirmed.

Jaune=Joan D'arc R63.
Nora=Thor R63.
Phyrra=Achilles R63
Ren=Mulan R63.

Anyone with a name's got one, even if it may not even matter much aside from minor coincidences.
>>
>>54846865
>Ren=Mulan

How is Ren anything like Mulan?
>>
>>54846865
I am not any kind of expert or RT employee to know wtf they were thinking on that one. Pic-Related there is Aladin; aside from being a thief and a street-rat turned adventurer/murderhobo, idk what they're going for there either.
>>
>>54846921
He's the guy Mulan was pretending to be.
>>
>>54847021
But her male name was Ping?

Where did the idea that characters have to be based on fairy tales come from? Because as far as I've heard, the only rule is that the names have to based on some sort of color.
>>
>>54846865
Fun fact: All of JNPR's is gender swapped but all of their analogs were also cross dressers at one point or another.

If the pattern of imitation hold Jaune will die in fire, Nora in the final battle and Ren will either settle down or commit suicide.
>>
File: JNPR origin.png (42KB, 603x319px) Image search: [Google]
JNPR origin.png
42KB, 603x319px
>>54847235
>>54847118
>>54846921
>>54846865
>>
>>54847118
That was just in the disney movie, I don't think her fake name is mentioned in the original Chinese balad.

Fun fact: Disney Mulan's fake name "Ping Hua" literally translates as "flower vase" and is a chinese slang term for an effeminate man.
>>
>>54847118
>Where did the idea that characters have to be based on fairy tales come from?
Because you would have to be literally blind and deaf to miss the parallels. Ruby was first revealed as a little girl in a red hood fighting wolf monsters. Weiss Schnee literally translate to white snow. Blake, "Black the beast descends from shadows", literally a beauty and a beast, the book she was reading was about dual natures. Yang is the only one I'm not sure of.

Team JNPR are all based off of cross dressing heroes or heroes who have cross dressed. Jaune Arc, Joan of Arc. Jaune means 'yellow' in French. Nora Valkyrie, Thor. Hammer, electricity semblance. Pyrrha, Achilles. Literally the most obvious one, the "invulnerable girl", beaten by an arrow through the heel. Lie Ren, yes, Mulan. His symbol is a flower, the "Hua" in "Hua Mulan" means flower.
>>
>>54846844
Whats worse is that she jobs and someone ALWAYS has to save her ass. No retreats, no diversions, just someone always Deus Exing in and saving her ass consequence free.
>>
>>54847772
Yang's trailer has her enter the base of a guy whose name means "bear" and fight three named characters, hence Goldilocks and the Three Bears.
>>
>>54848300
There was also the bear DJ.
>>
>>54847772
Yeah, some of them have parallels, especially the main cast, but not everyone. Ren being Mulan is a huge stretch, and what of the rest of the cast? Neon Cat was a meme, and none of the adults seem to follow a theme.
>>
>>54848458
>Ren being Mulan is a huge stretch,
Not really. He's literally on the team of characters inspired by cross dressing heroes.
>>
>>54848458
>none of the adults seem to follow a theme

Copying off of TVTropes
>Characters named after The Wonderful Wizard of Oz characters seem to be connected to the secret history of Remnant, and the mysterious conflict between Ozpin and Salem. Ozpin's name comes from the acronym of the Wizard's real name (O.Z.P.I.N.H.E.A.D.); Glynda Goodwitch is named after the Good Witch of the South, Glinda; General Ironwood's name comes from the English translation of a Russian version of the Tin Man; Qrow is associated with the Scarecrow. Oscar Pine, who shares Ozpin's soul, Aura and consciousness, is introduced as a farm boy digging the earth; the Wizard of Oz's real name is Oscar Diggs, and the name Oscar Pine name contracts to Oz Pin(e).
>>
>>54848521
I suppose this would make Tai Yang the cowardly lion, the guy who dropped being a huntsman.
>>
>>54846498
>cost

Bad way to go about it. You want people to pick melee+ranged options that go well together and make something cool; price tags don't make sense. The whole game doesn't need a currency system at all, aside from possibly a metacurrency about Dust use.
>>
>>54846654
Wasn't that after he died?
>>
>>54848639
Yes but considering it was Volume that was more than likely already scripted out. Volume 4 was the first where they had only his chicken scratch. And even then monty actually did bery little writing only doing big plot points
>>
File: _rwby__wh__red_like_blood.png (1MB, 1024x1365px) Image search: [Google]
_rwby__wh__red_like_blood.png
1MB, 1024x1365px
>>
File: _rwby__wh__my_rule_has_changed.jpg (142KB, 1024x1365px) Image search: [Google]
_rwby__wh__my_rule_has_changed.jpg
142KB, 1024x1365px
>>54849141
>>
File: _rwby__wh__from_the_pain_of_joy.png (1MB, 1024x1365px) Image search: [Google]
_rwby__wh__from_the_pain_of_joy.png
1MB, 1024x1365px
>>54849162
>>
>>54849171
>>
>>54849189
>>54849171
>>54849162
>>54849141
Artist?
>>
>>54849141
>>54849162
>>54849171
>>54849189
Does that make the Grimm the Imperium?
>>
>>54849313
https://darkbearlab.deviantart.com/
>>
>>54849364
No it makes them the Beastmen
>>
>>54846865
>Cinder is... Cinderella.
>Mercury is... Mercury. As in, the god.
>Emerald might be Aladdin?
>Roman is Candlewick.
>Neo = ???
>Salem pulling double duty as Wicked Witch and Fairy Godmother
>>
>>54850355
And none of those inspirations mean fucking anything for the show proper because fuck consistency right?
>>
>>54849494
Thanks anon.
>>
File: 1455078951323.png (551KB, 612x864px) Image search: [Google]
1455078951323.png
551KB, 612x864px
>>54850355
Neo currently seems to just be a play on Neapolitan given her color scheme unless they're doing something either actually clever or weirdly obscure or entirely off-base so that no correlation can be found. Maybe Mirror Mirror due to her semblance? idk.

>>54850588
Cinder's bit in the tower durring the dance needed to be done before midnight when the distraction dispersed. That's why the Dance Dance Infiltration music track ends with twelve bell chimes.

Mercury was the messenger and while maybe they're playing off one myth or another for his character later, it's probably just the rocket-boot jump style of combat he has as a reference to the winged shoes.

Emerald as Aladin, coming from humble start as a thief and a street rat. Might eventually have to play the part in high society, get caught, and eventually work back to being one of the good guys in a redemption arc.

Coco Adel is just a reference to a fashion line.
Velvet Scarlatina is supposed to be the velvetine rabbit I guess?
Yatsuhashi and Fox I wouldn't know unless I hit the wiki and I don't care that much.
>>
>>54846255
>>54846498
>>54848629

Caring about details like that is stupid as fuck.

Just assume that every character always has a ranged and a melee option. Then try to differentiate them based on their damage/effects using either pools or some sort of class system to build it, and not some ridiculous shopping list.

Much simpler, and much more in tune with the internal logic of the show.
>>
>>54851659
Class system, got it. Weapons have no cost.

Now, Classes. Uh... Most DND classes are either "Hits stuff, get hit, and doesn't die", "Hits stuff, gets hit, dies", "Hits stuff, doesn't get hit", "Tries to hit stuff and fails", and "A walking arsenal of spells that can solve any plot".
>>
File: classes.png (2MB, 3360x2512px) Image search: [Google]
classes.png
2MB, 3360x2512px
>>54852711
Just gonna point you at >>54812560
>>
>>54812329
Anyone used this system before?
>>
>>54808924
>the fan base is exactly the same as every other fan base on the planet
YOU DONT FUCKING SAY
>>
>>54808754
>I want to recapture everything that made it good
so nothing?
>>
File: NO-Gif.gif (976KB, 299x223px) Image search: [Google]
NO-Gif.gif
976KB, 299x223px
>>54808754

>everything that made it good

But RWBY was an absolute pile of half-baked amateurish shitwank, you fucking weeb child.
>>
>>54852711
Instead of thinking of it like classes, think of it as archetypes. RWBY makes no bones about grabbing every anime cliche and pasting it in. Look at things like Powered by the Apocalypse games to get a good idea on straightforward mechanical things you can do to make broad character stereotypes recognizable and yet customizable.
>>
>>54808754
>I want to recapture everything that made it good.
How are you going to capture thst which doesn't exist?
>>
>>54846455
Wait, I thought that Hanzo Jr ability was to make himself and his allies invisible or some shit like this?
>>
>>54857279
The Grimm are able to sense negative emotions, a la fear. So Ren's semblance (special power thing) seems to either mask negative emotions or take them away or some shit.
>>
>>54857279
He suppresses negative emotions, which makes it harder for Grimm to notice people.
>>
>>54848559
Nah they mentioned another guy, the headmaster of somewhere else who's called Leo or some shit. He's probably the traitor who's working with Salem or something.

Tai's still a Hunter too, he's primarily a teacher at Signal or whatever the school before Beacon is. He works with Qrow there, and Qrow leaves to go on missions, presumably to does Tai. Though Tai might do it less often since his wife died and he had to do the solo parent thing.
>>
>>54852779
I'm feeling bored and inspired.

Name a character and I'll stat it in Strike!, as a level 1.
>>
File: 972c068343310ecfe8ccd56843c5e193.jpg (423KB, 486x1097px) Image search: [Google]
972c068343310ecfe8ccd56843c5e193.jpg
423KB, 486x1097px
>>54859206
Muh wife!
>>
>>54859263
Neptune, is that you?
>>
File: Weiss.png (339KB, 1196x1532px) Image search: [Google]
Weiss.png
339KB, 1196x1532px
>>54859263
I'm focusing on her combat side because honestly, I have 0 idea about her non-combat skills aside from "rich".

I went with the Duelist class because it fits her rapier fighting style, mostly melee focus, and AFAIK she's better with single enemies (compared to Ruby who just scythes through dozens).
I picked abilities that let her move enemies around, which is in tune with her use of Gylphs I feel.

An alternative path would be to go with Warlord to really put the emphasis on her bossy personality. I actually like that idea so much I also included that.

Because of her aptitude with Ice-type effects and ability to move others around, Controller seems to fit her well as a Role. She could arguably be a Leader as well, if you want to focus on her abilities that enhance the movements of her allies and create protective barriers.

Finally, to simulate the multitude of effects of the other sort of Dusts her weapons have, I picked Versatile Minor as her feat, which lets her use many effects, but only once/combat (need to reload the dust to use them again). Later, picking up minor Leader would give her more ally-repositioning and defense.
>>
File: A_smug_rube.jpg (418KB, 900x910px) Image search: [Google]
A_smug_rube.jpg
418KB, 900x910px
>>54860261
Thanks bro.

>>54859831
>implying
>>
>>54846136
Aren't (unacquired) superpowers in general just Mary Sue bullshit? Some powers are pretty much "you win the plot" with the user's own stupidity getting in the way, and characters that have them tend to be self-inserted idiots who never practice any responsibility for their own life regardless of powers.
Then again if you take the average person and give them superpowers they'll likely turn into unlikable Mary Sues. Good characters are simply humans devoid of stupid and actually follow common sense.
>>
>>54862843
>Aren't (unacquired) superpowers in general just Mary Sue bullshit?

Not really, if your setting has people just born with powers. I think it's kind of hard to call any sort plot element "Mary Sue bullshit" not that that term holds meaning any more because everything can serve some sort of story depending on what's being written.
>>
>>54863021
I don't know much about RWBY. Does everyone have powers with most people just not pursuing their potential, or is it something rare that you're born with.
Superpowers are hard to balance, especially mechanically, and they are often tacked onto shitty self-inserts who want to make their character OP special shit.
>spoiler
I'm going to disagree with that, but I can see why you would think that way. Leave it at that.
>>
>>54862843
>Aren't (unacquired) superpowers in general just Mary Sue bullshit?
No.

In a setting like RWBY's, literally everything with a soul (potentially) has a superpower. Sure, not everyone knows how to use their aura, and by extension probably doesn't know how to use their semblance. But if you have a soul, you have a superpower.

Hell, there is reason to believe that Zwei has a superpower and HE'S A FUCKING DOG.
>>
>>54863185
Ok, so it's a case of everyone having "how do I shoot web", and training is finding out how you shoot web and whether or not it conducts electricity or glows in the dark.
There is still the question of how they powers differentiate and how they balance plot-wise.
>>
>>54863021
>>54863185
Does anybody know how semblance works?

>>54863231
What the fuck is wrong with my grammar?
>>
File: Image033.jpg (394KB, 853x480px) Image search: [Google]
Image033.jpg
394KB, 853x480px
>>54862843
Not really. Moving away from RWBY, let's talk about something like Boku No Hero Academia.

Superpowers are the norm in that setting. The school pictured in this screencap is not some kind of special school for gifted children with super powers. This is literally just a middle school. All of these are just kids who happen to grow up in the same general area. Out of 30 kids in that class, only one does NOT have a superpower.

No one in this room is really a Mary Sue except maybe the character who DOESN'T have superpowers because having superpowers did not turn them all into author self-inserts where the plot revolves around how super-special-awesome they are.
>>
>>54863231
Currently, no character has gone through a "how do I shot web" thing except for Weiss mastering her ability to summon defeated foes and the fact that Jaune still is running around without knowing what, if anything, his semblance does.

>>54863251
It's never EXPLICITLY stated, but everyone who has demonstrated having a semblance has also been able to use aura and dust (which are explicitly related), we can safely assume that semblances are linked to auras.
>>
>>54863268
I know pretty much nothing about the setting outside of the basic premise, but I rather enjoy how it seems like for half of people in the setting their power isn't something to be leveraged as a weapon, it's just part of them and maybe something they have to learn to live with. It's fun when that sort of thing is normal, instead of being piled onto something trying to be the next Spider Man.
>>
>>54863100
You've got Aura which flows though every living thing and makes you stronger, faster and forms a protective shell around you so hunters can get plastered over a stone wall and not turn to strawberry jam.

Then you have Semblances which are unique powers that everyone technically has but are only expressed though a mixture of talent and training to control your aura. Everyone's semblance is a reflection of themselves in some way it could be awesome like getting to go super-saiyan like Yang or having your eyes change colour like the Schnee butler.The exception being some are hereditary like Ruby's silver eyes or Wiess' summons with the heredities usually being add ons to the existing semblance.

The writers have something of a talent for inconsistently presenting powerlevels however.

I just feel it's become shorthand for "This character didn't meet my personal standards for earning something." rather than any sort of holistic assessment of quality.
>>
>>54812560
PDF?
>>
>>54863313
God help me I hate Janue so much, why devote so much time to a character that makes no sense? He's a black hole logic cannot escape if you could call any RWBY character a Mary-Sue and I don't really think you could it would be him because the world does warp around his incompetent arse and he is literally voiced by one of the writers.
>>
>>54863520
>The powerless, incompetent, joke character is a Mary-Sue.

You keep using that word, I do not think It means what you think it means.

The world constantly punishes him for his incompetance, he gets bullied, his ass kicked on every occasion, and his mentor and (girl)friend dies to protect him. Jaune has the largest cross to bare compared to any other character, and for now realistically struggles with that weight.

Notice I say "for now," because I've seen enough anime to spot the heroic martyr character when I see one.
>>
>>54863885
Oh yeah he's not really he's just very annoying on a conceptual level. I've already bitched about how his knowledge gaps make no sense.

He's also not a joke character, he's the character the writers are pushing as the real main character intentionally or not. No one gets as much time or attention devoted to their personal feelings and struggles and I struggle to think of a reason beyond his voice actor.

He's this useless fuck up that's not really useless just no one from his family line of famous hunter have seen his potential for some reason. His parts are well executed enough I just fell like there was better candidates to receive all the care like oh I don't know the actual main four maybe?
>>
>>54864339
>Joan of Arc-based character
>recording of events ignores everyone else, spends all its time focussing on the JoA character
Guess Jaune's playing to his inspiration.
>>
>>54863313
>Jaune

It's implied that his Semblance is some kind of 'turn your power back against you', from the time Cardin punched him but only hurt himself. It also makes sense considering how much punishment he takes over the course of the series, even compared to other Hunters - he needs to be made of rubber to still be alive.
>>
>>54864339
>oh I don't know the actual main four maybe?

Jaune is the fifth main character. He is introduced right alongside everyone else in team RWBY and is the one who ties the entire cast together. They are totally setting him up to die, so they need to concentrate more time on him to actually make it tragic. I agree they should spend more time on the main cast, but that's more of a problem with the number of episodes per season rather than Jaune as a character.
>>
>>54816957
>I want Yang to actually do something besides job hard,
She spends like half the show beating the shit out of everyone. She hard carries the entire tournament for her team.
>>
File: Dat bod though.png (303KB, 712x427px) Image search: [Google]
Dat bod though.png
303KB, 712x427px
>>54846151
I thought the same, have this.
>>
as a long time fan of this show (mostly the soundtrack) just realized why i like it so much.

the entire thing is built so heavily on vague backstories and references to other material that you can piece together a lot of what should have gotten screen time, over the never ending parade of side characters that eat up the show. this leads to everyone who watches it to have massive head cannon. seriously this is a show succeeding on build your own head cannon as its main selling point.

think ruby and weiss are adorable and would make for a great tsundete couple, fuck it why not, it's not like they get enough airtime for you to know if ecer happened

same goes for anything else here, its why the fanfic community is so rabid. the crazy fans are all yelling at each other for their crazy internal worldviee to be cannon
>>
>>54809527
after 6 months on /rwbyg/ i'm glad somebody else has seen it too.
>>
>>54864339
Thing is I can kind of agree with you (his plot is filled with holes) but I dont feel even the main 4 are worth focusing on.

Like where exactly do they go with Ruby that would make her interesting. The answer is nowhere because that would ruin her whole "simple soul" bullshit

Weis's plot had literally devolved into "sexism is bad yo" and was formerly "raceism is bad yo"

Blake is a terrible human being who just deserves to get axed at this point but shes gonna have her fairy tail fucking ending

Yang is a boring piece of shit who only exist to save Ruby, be Blakes plot charm, and to look pretty for the NEETs

None of team RWBY are in anyway good characters and their arcs are all fucking terrible and no amount of focus would actually fix that.

AND ITS ALL BEEN LIKE THIS SINCE VOLUME FUCKING 1
>>
>>54866285
So its popular because the writers are so aweful fans have to make up there own shit to feel better.... wow thats.... thats really pathetic.

Also
>shipping whiterose

Hows it feel to have no taste in romantic dynamics
>>
>>54859206
>>54860261
I'm at work and bored again, I'll do Yang.
>>
>>54809113
>MC fights with a bladed weapon despite an abundance of projectile weapons
>I like to judge things I haven't even seen!
If you knew enough to try and judge it, you would know that the MC's weapon IS also a gun. Back to /a/ with you, fag.
>>
>>54810117
All hail the cutey mutey
>>
File: Yang.jpg (372KB, 1614x1031px) Image search: [Google]
Yang.jpg
372KB, 1614x1031px
>>54868046
Okay, so Yang fits pretty well with the Battle Trance Berserker.

The way it works is that as the fight goes on, she becomes stronger and stronger. She has a sort of yin-yang thing going on, where before getting hurt she's more adept at protecting allies and locking down enemies, and after being hurt better at smashing face.

She is good at smashing face in general, and is straightforward so I made her a Striker. Could arguably go defender to put more emphasis on toughness, but Berserker already does that. I gave her some Wrestling cause I think I recall that she does some wrestling moves, and it's pretty cool.
>>
>>54816991
To their credit, they've gotten better as it went and got more comfortable in their roles, and have gotten more well known VAs recently, like Laura Bailey (as short as it was), and Vic Mignogna is nailing the role of Qrow. I normally hate Vic, but he does good when cast into the right role.
>>
>>54824929
I doubt it's going to stay dark and gritty. It's all drawing inspiration from classic tales, not just for the characters, but for the overall progression of the story. All the classics have that downer part that the heroes come back from stronger for. You can even see it in the oldest of stories like Jason and the Argonauts, The Odyssey, The Divine Comedy, and plenty of other classics. S4 was RWBY's version of journeying through the underworld.

I agree with you on being tired of the dark gritty deal in most modern stories, like the ones you mentioned. I just couldn't help notice the formula RWBY is taking, since I've always been a fan of the classics/epics.
>>
File: RWBY Face Rig.png (422KB, 600x405px) Image search: [Google]
RWBY Face Rig.png
422KB, 600x405px
>>54867317
>Weis's plot had literally devolved into "sexism is bad yo" and was formerly "raceism is bad yo"

More, "serving the military-industrial complex for the benefit of your family and the detriment of everyone else is bad, yo"
>>
>>54869380
Well, that's after they became a bit bastardized.

Red Riding Hood doesn't end well for Red and Grandma in the original...
>>
File: 1385944309956.jpg (46KB, 286x198px) Image search: [Google]
1385944309956.jpg
46KB, 286x198px
>>54869236
Nice work Anon I might even read the Strike rules.
>>
File: 332.jpg (5MB, 1800x6445px) Image search: [Google]
332.jpg
5MB, 1800x6445px
>>54860261
>>54869236

These are cool, but I feel like it's missing the best part about RWBY which is the weapons. And Ruby.
>>
File: Blake.png (342KB, 1406x814px) Image search: [Google]
Blake.png
342KB, 1406x814px
>>54872948
The weapons are sorta assumed to be part of the overall style of the character (that's why I gave Weiss the Role Dabbler), since they basically freaking never lose them, and so it's part of their character.

You could go deeper and stat them as equipment that gives extra abilities, but that's somewhat ad hoc, since the equipment book isn't out yet.

Anyway, here's an attempt at Blake using the Martial Artist as core to demonstrate what I mean. You could use MA for characters for whom weapon morphing is an important part of their fighting style.

The Role is Lurker because she's a sort of a ninja, plus the back and forth of attack/evade is pretty cool (and I used Striker already).
>>
>>54808754
>Combat heavy system
>Weapons that are weird combos
>As many literary/folktale references/character themes you can come up with
>Some humans with animal bits, sometimes
>Monsters
I've only seen Volume 1
>>
File: Ruby.png (474KB, 771x707px) Image search: [Google]
Ruby.png
474KB, 771x707px
>>54872948
The best for last, this is Ruby.

This will take a little explaining.

She's a Rogue (Backstabber) / Blaster. The way the Rogue works, she doesn't get attack powers, instead getting a blanket buff to all basic attacks she makes. This manifests in scything off enemy body parts, and the absolutely devastating + 4 damage on her crit. She also gains the backstab power which helps guarantee the clutch crit needed to save the day at the right moment. (Although it's called "backstabber", she doesn't need to hide and actually backstab, just needs to set the attack up).

Her normal powers are instead move actions. She also has the Sprinter feat, which gives her +4 movespeed, to the base speed of 6.

The way this combines is that on a charge attack (a generic action, included for clarity's sake), she can move and make a melee attack at 20 squares; for the record, this is the range the _snipers_ usually operate at (technically, if the sniper spends a turn aiming it can ignore the range limit, but it's still twice as far as other "long ranged" characters). Enemies are basically guaranteed to be Trapped, especially since she can use her Reaction to spend any of her remaining movement on chasing them down.

Unless we are looking at extremely big battle maps, absolutely no one is safe from her, because she can be on enemies in a second and it's almost impossible to run away from her.

This is combined with Beam Blaster. This lets her cut through entire swarms of enemies, or use her rifle to pierce through them, assuming they are mostly standing in a line. If not, she can still cleave through at least two of them, or attempt to bounce shots to hit two (or some combination).

Finally, she can use her scythe to throw an enemy, either next to allies setting up a combo attack, or to set up a line of enemies to blast (or both). Worth noting that melee attacks have advantage against prone enemies, which basically doubles your chance of crits and cutting off soft parts.
>>
>>54874827
has someone made the obligatory "Stop shilling Strike!" post yet?
>>
>>54874827
>>54873380
>>54869236
>>54860261

So the team works like this:

Weiss can reposition freely, as well as lock down an enemy and nudge it around for ideal positioning if it tries to start some shit. She also has access to a bunch of minor effects that make her extremely versatile at supporting the others.

Yang can choose between using her power to punch enemies into the way of the others, or she can take advantage of enemies near walls/flanking to smash them to pulp. Also, marking and grappling to grab/lock them down. And then if they try to attack her to get away, she can tank it guaranteed and retaliate with savage AF attacks.

Blake has a lot of stance configurations and can fill in for everything. She's basically second best at everything + the best at sneaking and unimpeded movement (forgot to mention, because MA operates with basic attacks as well, she can also charge; but that's a "mere" 12 movement instead of 20).

Ruby is a crimson reaper on the battlefield, swiftly disposing of enemies by the dozens when the others set her attacks up (or there are enemy minions/swarms involved), but is the least good at assisting the team. Still, she'll probably get most of the kills (but who's counting?).
>>
File: RWBY Fight.webm (3MB, 774x426px) Image search: [Google]
RWBY Fight.webm
3MB, 774x426px
>>54874916
Nobody has. Even worse, you've done a good job presenting the mechanics as they interact with the story in an appealing manner and made me think Strike! is actually a good system to use for this
>>
>>54876199
Glad to hear!

Books here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/a1i5mhmasq77iqm/Strike%20Books.zip?dl=0

I'll be around to answer any questions (many of which will no doubt be the result of the core book being amateur as shit) after a swift 8 hour coma.
>>
>>54876440
How would it do in terms of the weapons, rather then the skill/abilities of the person or does one relegate that part to fluff and descriptions?
>>
>>54876646
It seems from his examples that weapons and Semblances are basically created ad-hoc from a combination of roles, kits, classes, and possibly feats. because it's a game based on defined powers, you can specify something from any source as your semblance, and as >>54873380 points out they are pretty much never without their weapons so powers that function with or without them are kinda irrelevant.

once again proving the superiority of 4e D&D over all other editions
>>
>>54876199
I never watched this crap. GUN-CHUCKS?!?
>>
File: RWBY.pdf (4MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
RWBY.pdf
4MB, 1x1px
>>54876646
>>54876854
Beat me to it but:

Basic weapons are part of the character. I think it would be a mistake to stat them separately. All characters are already assumed to have a melee and ranged attack (that they don't need to switch between) so just have them write down what sort of forms their weapons take when they use their powers. Strike! also expects you to justify the effects of your abilities in fiction, so if it does happen for some reason, being disarmed would force players to improvise if they want to use them (a good example would be the "food fight" I remember where nobody had their "real" weapons, but they made do with improvised ones).

Special equipment on top of that could have varying levels of usefulness theoretically, but I think gearing up doesn't really fit the premise of the show, so I'd probably not do it.

An idea for compromise: extra packets of Dust (on top of the "assumed dust", like Weiss's equipment) could be used as one-time items. Small packets could be equivalent to role actions/boosts, bigger packs could replicate effects like Magician powers, etc. There's an unofficial RWBY RPG that has a list of dusts and their colors and what example uses they may have, you could base it on that. It's a polar opposite of Strike!, so I despise it, but it may contain ideas you like.

>>54876912
They also combine into a staff.
>>
File: Obrez Gunchucks.jpg (12KB, 500x366px) Image search: [Google]
Obrez Gunchucks.jpg
12KB, 500x366px
>>54876912
Gun-chucks. Don't ask how they reload or where the ammo is kept.
>>
>>54869077
I thought most people in the setting uses guns. Including the protagonist.
>>
File: 1386128619734.jpg (161KB, 456x700px) Image search: [Google]
1386128619734.jpg
161KB, 456x700px
>>54877341
Don't be silly Jaune uses a sword and board!

But yeah Ruby has a sycthe-rifle it's silly shit.
>>
>>54877341
Most people use guns, yes.
Most super-powered (Hunters/Huntresses)
tend to use silly combination weapons (for example: scythe/sniper rifle, maul/grenade launcher, knife/pistols, spear/rifle etc etc)
>>
>>54877472
Don't forget gunshoes.
>>
>>54878861
They're gunlegs, aren't they?
>>
File: Mercury Black Legs.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Mercury Black Legs.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>54879775
He has gunshoes and jumplegs; the shoes shoot bullets, the legs shoot blasts of air.
>>
>>54837960
Fucking thank you. Somebody who understand that letter for the cry for help it was.
>>
File: Sadness.gif (2MB, 294x232px) Image search: [Google]
Sadness.gif
2MB, 294x232px
>>54879872
Is he better now? Looking at his Twitter he seems to not be institutionalized and still animating (though only for himself) but he still has "Monty Oum's right hand" in his bio. Last I heard he was stalking Sheena trying to get her 'justice' because he thinks her fucking Monty means she needs to run RWBY, despite not working for RT and not wanting the job.
>>
>>54880058
As far as I know.

As for the fight quality, I honestly think they're getting back up near the quality of the first volume's. The fight between Qrow and Tyrian was fucking smooth this volume.
>>
>>54808754
>How do I make a RWBY like game without it being a RWBY ripoff?
Make it good.
>>
>>54867337
That's not pathetic that's the Bethesda's multimillion dollar strategy.
>>
>>54880611
But people will buy Bethesda games for the mods. Who's buying RWBY and splicing in scenes where characters get proper development and models aren't clipping through the scenery?
>>
>>54880695
The Fanfic writers and the huge number of artists in the community

kinda sad really, the show could have been amazing, kinda was, and then volume 4 l kinda screwed a lot of the existing characterization for ruby, placed jaune at the front if the plot for his 3rd season, weiss' bit was the best part and it was maybe 5 min total, and got left mostly to the now officially unofficial soundtrack instead of actually giving her screen time. also setting sun up to die horribly or massively dissapoint bmblb shippers.

also the insane shippers are the raving madmen that keep the community moving for some reason
>>
>>54881408

How was Ruby's characterization damaged?
>>
>>54881408
>now officially unofficial soundtrack

The what now?
>>
>>54882443
One of Weiss's songs from the series was a re-cut version of the soundtrack version. Not sure if that's what he means.
>>
>>54882443
there was a song titled bmblb on the volume 4 soundtrack. it was fairly explicit fanservice, that after the fanbase exploded over it one of the crew said that jeff williams has free reign on the soundtrack and that of it isn't in the show anything is fair game for him, it nust won't be official.

like the song explicitly naming a ship and lyrics like "be with me in a garden of ecstasy"

rather than deny that most of the crew totally support this rt just calls anything theyvdo unofficial, up to and including the soundtrack
>>
File: e72.png (68KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
e72.png
68KB, 480x480px
>>54876912
Every weapon in RWBY, except for two thus far, is also a gun.
>>
>>54882045
she went from fully capable prodigy and all around badass leaser of team rwby to an incompetent, unimportant side character. who was really only around so that jaune and renora could be the highlight characters of the season.

they did actually do a good job with blake, but she (like all the other main characters) could have had more time if we didn't waste all of it on jaune.

separate complaint is that they treat their audience like morons, we have an entire character spent as the self incert moron to explain the world to in the form of jaune, they evem develope him quite a bit so that he can have more to him than that. fine whatever, tragic, I'll get over it. but no, they also burn entire episodes on world of remnant shorts that could have been included as natural exposition in the show, instead of lazy info dumps on their generic amalgamated fantasy cliche of a setting.
>>
>>54883668
>she went from fully capable prodigy and all around badass leaser of team rwby to an incompetent, unimportant side character. who was really only around so that jaune and renora could be the highlight characters of the season.

She went from alright leader of a competent team including her own sister to traumatized support for another team, with a position of less authority and the time to learn from Jaune about how to be a leader that doesn't involve trying to do everything yourself, which caused her to fail spectacularly last season. She's still a hitting things savant.
>>
>>54880503
Don't really like any of the new fights, sure the choreography isn't half bad but its all just so weightless.
>>
>>54885865
>>learning
>>from jaune
>>
>>54886340
Jaune is explicitly a better tactician. Ruby is a gifted loner who happens to be good at team leadership, Jaune is a team player from top to bottom. Individual members of RWBY tend to be tougher than individual members of JNR, anyway.
>>
>>54808787

It's sexy action !anime harry potter with waifus, feels, and genuinely likeable three-dimensional characters going through a well written (though slowly developing) story.

Season one is about introducing the setting and core cast.
Season two is about Highschool adventures and introducing sidecharacters, setting up plotlines.
Season three is about getting things FUBAR.
Season four is about dealing with PTSD from season three.
>>
>>54885865
>Jobs to WF mooks after losing her weapon
Ruby has had the occasional annoying job.
>>
>>54886492
The main draw of the series is the over-the-top fight choreography, which the series creator was already famed for in the past.
>>
>>54886492
>likeable characters
>three-dimensional characters
>well written story
>>
>>54808754
>RWBY
>good
That's a laugh.
>>
File: gunchucks.gif (5MB, 640x352px) Image search: [Google]
gunchucks.gif
5MB, 640x352px
>>54886492
>>54888000
>>54888012
I heard it got better in later seasons, but I could never get farther than season 2.
It's a animesque self-insert show on a shoestring budget that uses a lot of anime "tricks" to make it seem like it's better animated than it actually is. And the voice acting sucks ass.
>>
>>54888098
Yup. You have to be a special kind of weaboo autist to like it. As an animator the laziness of the animation alone is enough to make me hate it.
>>
>>54888123
>You have to be a special kind of weaboo autist to like it.
Or actually Japanese. See earlier in the thread.
>>
>>54823009
A semblance that anchors the opponent in place. Mobility is so important in RWBY-verse that the ability to take it away from your opponent would be retardedly overpowered.
>>
>>54876912
>>54876977
And fun fact, the type of staff it turns into/is used as is a chinese martial-arts staff called "gun."
So it's guns that are also a gun.
>>
File: fb7.png (546KB, 867x441px) Image search: [Google]
fb7.png
546KB, 867x441px
An interesting effect of the loss of animators and addition of editors: the fight quality generally dipped over time (with the obvious exception of any given Qrow fight for some reason) but the dialogue has gotten smoother with each volume. Episode 15 of Volume 1 is almost unwatchable thanks to that shitty argument between Weiss and Blake, but the argument between Jacques and Weiss in Volume 4 is awesome.

And ALL of Clan Belladonna's interactions are awesome.
>>
>>54809109
The fuck is up with the two dragon shaped continents? I can excuse one because it's a common trope to have an island/continent shaped like something. but having fucking two is just fucking ridiculous.
>>
>>54893322
They made the world map by squirting ketchup over a balled-up napkin and then unfolding it, then tracing over it. It's pure coincidence.
>>
>>54893446

Man I'm gonna call bullshit on that one.

>2 Dragons
>2 Fish
>Alaska smashed together with Japan.
>Northrend
>>
>>54894780
https://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/rwby/images/b/be/Rwby_map3.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20121109003936
>>
>>54894818
It's close, but they obviously took some liberties with the details.
>>
>>54895272
Probably.
>>
>>54886340
Ruby's explicit flaw, pointed out by several different people at different times, is that she sucks at delegating and not trying to do everything herself.
>>
>>54886512
She got around eventually, and still runsfast. She was held up just long enough for plot to happen, which was reasonable.

Also, Mercury ain't a mook.
>>
>>54888202
A few people have/use variations on that (Sun dogpiling someone with his clones, Weiss sticking people down with glyphs, ice Dust locking people in place). If it was a straight-up 'this guy cannot move forever' that would be OP, but as a concept taking away someone else's mobility temporarily in a fight is pretty well explored.
>>
>>54895272
Only real departure from the ketchup mess I can see is Mantel (The Northern continent) The rest seems pretty much spot on. Just with some touchups here and there.
>>
>>54876199
>>54876912
>>54877003
>>54888098
Gun-chucks will forever be a retarded idea.
Now sword-chucks, those are the work of a genius.
>>
>>54897620
No Volume 2 where two faceless White Fang mooks deck her it's either Breach or the episode just before.
>>
>>54841586
Considering what a plothole riddled mess Season 3 was, perhaps going back to tried and tested looked like the better option to them.
>>
>>54897578
Some big flaw that is she so wonderful of a person she cant tell anyone to do anything.

You know with the constant saving of her ass, the ear grating voice, the incredibly retarded weapon, and just in general being a fucking purity sue Im trying to figure out what people see in Ruby.

Maybe people just believe all the shillong the writing does for her?
>>
>>54888098
It didnt get better. Volume three got to average to slightly good (arguably because outside of fights it threw team RWBY to the wayside) and then proceded to shit the bed at Vol.4 with no signs of improvement. And a fanbase that has gone entirely insane
>>
>>54883605
Man I feel sorry for Sun and Yang at this point, any possible characterizations for them will basically be reduced to being a Cuck and a Dyke respectively for Blake.

I do wonder what they will do with Sun if they arent going to have him end up with Blake. They still apparently want the guy around so either they are really fucking into romantic false leads or he probably dies.

Either way fuck Rooster Teeth for fucking their characters due to fan demand
>>
>>54900752
I'm not fond of going on /u/ to talk up straight ships, but I don't think we really need to worry about him not ending up with Blake.
>>
>>54900787
We're not on /u/ right now Anon, are you sitting with both threads open?

Just like me?
>>
>>54902292
>not being on /u/, /tg/, /trash/, and /v/
then again, /v/ is somehow the worst of all those boards so I can't blame you
>>
File: Perplexed Maidens.png (433KB, 528x346px) Image search: [Google]
Perplexed Maidens.png
433KB, 528x346px
>>54900707
>the constant saving of her ass

I can't tell if you're being retarded, or you can't understand that is the exact explicit flaw; she thinks she can do everything, tries to do everything, and fails because she cannot in fact do everything.

>purity sue

Thanks for settling my dilemma. You just don't know what words mean.
>>
File: 1477256504923.png (2MB, 876x4001px) Image search: [Google]
1477256504923.png
2MB, 876x4001px
The whole Sun-Blake relationship doesn't have a third wheel. Yang has literally not ever shown any sexual interest in Blake, nor the reverse. It's entirely fan-driven with no in-show conversations to shore it up. They dance at a school ball for about twenty seconds, and that's the extent of it. Half the fanbase has yuri goggles.
Thread posts: 317
Thread images: 58

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.