[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Large space bound ships have the ability to enter in and out

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

Large space bound ships have the ability to enter in and out of a planet's atmosphere via short scale warp jump/gates.

How would you implement these in a setting or your setting?
>>
Colony ships. Just land on the surface, open the top parts for natural sunshine to come, and you have a fully developed city - no need to build anything until the population starts growing
>>
>>54808585

There's something similar to that with Xenoblade although their landing was forced due to attacks but their ship was basically and arc/colony all of its own.
>>
I enjoy the Halo school of thought when it comes to space travel, or warping. That is depending on the size of the ship, you have a variety of issues.

Small ships, freighters and the like, no problem so long as they're at least a mile above the nearest settlement or in the upper atmosphere, that way when they "Jump" away they don't create an insane high or low pressure field, and the radiation put off by the warp jump doesn't cook and explode the nearby atmosphere once the ship is done warping away. (I'm looking at You, Halo 2!)

Subsequently, warping away, even if it didn't cook the air around it, would essentially leave a massive void where a sip was, especially Capital-class ships, where the low pressure caused by there suddenlybeing literally nothing there would cause the local weather to almost spontaneously start raining as clouds condense into the region, creating heavy flooding and rainstorms.
Subsequently, a ship warping in... would still cause effects An instant high pressure zone as a hunk of space machine enters the area, forcing all other things away besides itself, causing drought-like conditions, pope ears and bloody noses everywhere around it- for once, not due to crippling radiation.
>>
>>54810247

Huh, didn't even know or consider that. Then again, when the Covenant did it in New Mumbasa didn't it act like a nuke and wipe the city?
>>
>>54810827
It was pretty weak. High pressure wave, enough to blow people with parachutes off. But for the most part so long as the infantry got to cover, they would survive. New Mombasa, even the area directly under where the ship jumped out for example, was still intact enough to have massive infantry battles almost immediately afterwards.
>>
>>54810929
Though the space elevator did collapse.
>>
>>54811016
if you've done ODST, that only happened after the ship left. And it collapsed- instead of being incinerated, and yet combat continued for days on the ground.
>>
>>54810929

I see, so it would suck but not nearly as bad as it could be aside from the potential long term affects on weather patterns in the area
>>
>>54807880

There are no warp jumps because FTL is impossible.
>>
>>54807880

You need to consume the mass equivalent of Jupiter to that kind of stuff.
>>
>>54807880
that would be...problematic.
>>
>>54811156
Yeah, I recall the scene. But it fell because it was weakened by the jump.

I think they did a slight retcon, because in the Halo 2 cinematic you've got buses and shit flying everywhere when the ship jumps. Basically a near-tornado kind of thing. Way more people should've been splattered in ODST.
>>
>>54808585
I have a group that do colony ships like that, but moreso. Each ark is made up of a cluster of seedships that can break apart to enter atmo and turn into an instant, if smallish, settlement, with the materials and hopefully skills to expand.
The core part deploys lots of little satellites to keep the new colonies in communication, and the bridge area turns into a sort of primitive space station/comm center/relay back due to having lightspeed communication systems.

Basically, one ark does it's job and the planet can have between four and a dozen self sustaining outposts ready to expand,and a decent global information network
>>
>>54808585
That wastes a perfectly good hyperdrive on the ground, but it's something to work from. What about a tandem hull design?

The primary hull is the driveless colony pod. The ship jumps down, separates, and leaves the pod dirtside.

The secondary pod is essentially a Demiurg fortress - a mix of mining ship, tug, factory and defense system. It holds all the drives and stands by to get much-needed materials for the colony.
>>
>>54807880
Why would you want to though?

If your faster than light drive is precise enough to do that, and safer and more cost effective than conventional re entry or launch...

...Then why have conventional engines at all? Just use warp drive for all maneuvering.
>>
>>5481536
May be an issue of energy consumption and stresses on hull and frame. Like, hyperjumping a capship dirtside isn't remotely economical or feasible from further away than low orbit, but it's the only way to actually get those ships up and down barring catastrophic explosions and crashes.

>If your FTL...
Even if your assumption is the case, backup drives sure are nice to have and will likely be used for precision maneuvering and short distancs not worth the hyperjump expense.
>>
>>54815365
Most fiction gives FTL drives enough limitations that you can't plausibly do that. You'll also need conventional drives for stationkeeping and attitude control.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.