[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Diceless RPGs (Or, without any RNG mechanics)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: no-dice-allowed-1.jpg (34KB, 548x360px) Image search: [Google]
no-dice-allowed-1.jpg
34KB, 548x360px
dear /tg/ I was thinking for some time now that I don't really know any RPG that doesn't use Dice, Cards, or any actual RNG based mechanic, but I'm sure that there is surely one in this huge market, does somebody know any? It's ok if you have to roll to determine something like the number of item a merchant have, but it's not if you have to roll to fight or do any other basic interaction.

Then I just thought, what about doing one as a side project for fun? So I just started asking questions to myself while also giving an answer

Continues.
>>
>>54804028
Amber Diceless
Haven't looked into it personally but it exists.
>>
>>54804028
>Are dice and RNG necessary for fun in a tabletop/RPG?
I guess they are done to make every situation different from one another, if you put static stats the outcome would be the same! That's the main reasoning behind it.
>but what about using a resource system with ambient/action modifiers? like:
Let's say that one of the stats is strenght, you need it to calculate melee damage and most importantly to see if you can lift objects.
Let's say that you have 10 Str (If that's a lot or not, it's not important, the system doesn't even exist yet) with 10, you can use a War hammer, it gives you 2 more str damage when you swing it, but it decreases your dexterity stat by -2 while you use it, so it will be harder to hit with it, but if you do, you will wreck your opponent. Let's consider as a modifier that the opponent is armored, or it is a skeleton, so the war hammer will give more or less damage based on the type of enemy, as a further modifier, we can say that you are a war hammer master, or you are fightning against 1 enemy while one PC is helping you, the possibility to make every match different are endless.
>But this way more experienced players will know beforehand the results/and or they will have an advantage.
Well, I guess that happens in every game already, so nothing would change.
>What about decree of failure or success, if you want to hit the opponent in a vital spot, how do you know if you are going succeed or not?
I'm still thinking about this, but let's say that in a normal situation is really difficult that you are going to instantly kill your opponent if the skill is equal, also I guess that a system based on cycling resources would add the certain bonuses required for a character for it to being able to strike the powerful blow and kill the opponent.
>Why do we need something like this in the first place?
Because RNG can be a bitch and completely nonsensical sometimes
>Isn't this going to make games more complicated, slowing them down?
Continue
>>
>>54804342
>Isn't this going to make games more complicated, slowing them down?
Maybe, but I'm thinking of various ways to make it really easy to calculate and make the action generally smoother without sacrificing the main goal.
It would be something like this:
>Stat
>Item mod.
>Situational mod. (The scenario and situation where the scene takes place)
>Action mod.
>Enemy mod.
>Confront results, higher wins, so you succeed with action X, if the difference is higher, you have more degrees of success, if not you fail.
>>
>>54804028

Amber Diceless is the big one. It really requires you to know the Amber novels, though.

It spawned a few clones: Lords of Gossamer and Shadow is like Amber, but without all the novel stuff, making it easier to get into.
Lords of Olympus has you all playing as Greek gods.

There's a few other diceless games like Active Exploits (which I've heard isn't so hot) and even a GURPS diceless.
>>
>>54805962

Oh, I posted Lords of Olympus for the share thread a while back:
https://mega.nz/#!0B9TzJYa!zDtS0yg_GIdhnuFOxmcLQ7Xau11ca6eG5qNlGP0CCVI
>>
>>54804452
You are approaching this from the wrong angle I think. You are taking a crunchy approach and trying to remove the rng.

I think a better idea would be to take a more narrative approach and use some token resource management when the output of a certain action is uncertain, letting the players spend more or less resources for more or less degrees of success
>>
>>54804028
If you want true diceless Amber is the best match I can think of.

If you want a game that has it's major conflict resolution done without rng but still has dice check out Undying, Polaris (the one by Ben Lehman), and Swords Without Master.
>>
>>54806058
That's also what I had in mind anon.
But, I also want to count some variables and make them modifiers.
But the question is "what is an important variable?" without having to consider 3000 variables into account every time.
How much does your hand shake when you shoot with your gun?
I wouldn't make a mod like "trembling hands" to quantify it, but it would be included into the "Guns" skill rate.
If you have some mental stress, if you are shooting your own wife, or if you are on drugs, then you will have some maluses, or even bonuses, who knows.
>>
Did anybody try Gloomhaven? I thought their implenetation of a modifiable deck and 2-card choice mechanics made for an excellent alternative to dice randomization.
>>
So, in card games you have a deck and thus there is the random element of drawing a hand. However, you select these cards carefully and while you may sit there praying for your big bologna to come out at the right moment, odds are you have crafted the deck in such a way that you don't have to rely on a specific card. You also have tutoring cards- where you can search your deck.

My point is you can have a controlled RNG. My husband has often said he dislikes games with dice, though he likes rpgs in general. He really likes card games (like netrunner, etc.) So... look into that sort of idea? That is, the idea of 'random' but with a bit more, uh... focus?

I've also seen where you have an array of pre-rolled rolls and you can draw them from a deck or something. This way you know the 1 and 20 are in there, but you don't know when they'll turn up. And really once you're good enough at a skill you're not going to fail the roll (don't put '1 is always a fail' shit in) so that bit of rng is removed.

Kind of rambling, I don't really have any real info but this sounds like a neat idea and I'd like to see what you end up with.
>>
File: pace.pdf (981KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
pace.pdf
981KB, 1x1px
Pace is pretty nice.
>>
File: Munchausen RPG.jpg (62KB, 364x475px) Image search: [Google]
Munchausen RPG.jpg
62KB, 364x475px
>>54804028
The Adventures of Baron Munchausen!
It's a fine game of extraordinary and stirring tales and storytelling acumen, with a few friendly wagers along the way. And whosoever tells the finest tale (that is to say wins the most wagers, a definite sign of their success by any conceivable metric) buys the next round of drinks for his compatriots.
And it is, I scarcely need to mention, written by the Baron himself!

There are basically two versions: a ~30-page version, and the much larger version from Fantasy Flight that has the same rules plus a boat load of advice on improv and suggestions on changing the tone or setting. A sort of "game of the year edition collection" thing, as if it's coming with a couple of sourcebooks.
>>
UPWIND
https://www.biohazardgamespublishing.com/upwind
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.