[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Game literacy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: learning-curve[1].png (4KB, 275x163px) Image search: [Google]
learning-curve[1].png
4KB, 275x163px
"It's played in two phases. A trick taking phase, where you form sets to create resources, and a phase where you tap those resources to take actions."

I'm reasonably confident anyone on this board understood that entire paragraph. But think for a second how many concepts you'd have to explain one at a time to your 12 year old cousin or that guy from work or your grandmother.

I'm not going to say we're all objectively better for having learned these skills, but we do definitively have specialized knowledge about the language and techniques of an artistic endeavor of the human experience. And that's kind of cool.
>>
>>54789549
>trick taking

I have no idea what this is supposed to mean.
>>
>>54789579
in card games, a trick taking game is one where a series of cards are played until one player can take some or all of them.
Bridge or hearts for example.
>>
>>54789655
Yeah, I googled it after posting.

My parents didn't play card games and we lived far from other people so I never learned how to play card games from anyone else.

At family gatherings they just all sat in the living room and watched VHS tapes of cattle auctions.
>>
>>54789695
why?
>>
>>54789695
but now you're capable of analyzing tactical decisions of character advancement and how they'll provide changed options in combat.

They, on the other hand, have cattle auctions on VHS and if thrust into an RPG campaign, would ask what to do next constantly.
>>
>>54789713
Because they were the boring kind of cowboys.
>>
>>54789730
>fp and his family are sucked into a fantasy rpg setting
>fp scrapes out a hard, brutish life as a mercenary commander's tactician/buttslave before being slaughtered in a rout in his mid-30s
>fp's family rises to monopolize the meat and leather commodity markets of the setting's Definitely Not England, and are rich enough to buy a dukedom within three generations
>>
>>54790175
>implying modern cow farmers aren't entirely subservient to a mechanized system of raising, storage and delivery
>implying fp couldn't simply use other metagame knowledge
>implying either has anything to do with anything

maybe he'd invent playing cards as a concept. That sounds like a good way to get rich and powerful in a goddamn hurry going back in time. Or "discover" penicillin. Not really relevant to the issue at hand.
>>
>>54790414
Or basic statistics. Lots of gambling games back then were easy to probabilistically profit off of.

In particular a set of early mathematicians made their wealth off a lottery that would turn a net profit if you bought enough tickets.
>>
>>54790175
>fp and his family are sucked into a fantasy rpg setting
>fp scrapes out a hard, brutish life as a mercenary commander's tactician/buttslave before being slaughtered in a rout in his mid-30s
>fp's family rises to monopolize the meat and leather commodity markets of the setting's Definitely Not England, and are rich enough to buy a dukedom within three generations

FP here, is it bad that I kind of want this to have happened?
>>
>>54789549
Most people on /tg/ know how to play Magic but have no idea how to play Poker. And that isn't cool at all.
>>
>>54790686
which is kind of fucked up. A lot of the skills transfer, right? Bluffing, card counting, probability math, working out possible courses of action.

Most of the people I know who have done reasonably well in legitimate Magic tournaments are also pretty fierce poker players. Like GP top 16's or whatever. I'm no good at poker because I get too excited about outside probability chances, for much the same reason I'm pretty bad at Magic.
>>
>>54790686
>>54792951
Poker is like Monopoly. It's familiar enough that people even that people haven't played pick up enough to get by.

Not actually enough to play properly or anything just get by.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.