[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ships

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 4

File: 1468436949377.jpg (554KB, 1000x669px) Image search: [Google]
1468436949377.jpg
554KB, 1000x669px
I'm thinking about the way to create a ship in an RPG. I just want feed back on my train of thought.

Ships, at their heart, have a few core actions and parts. They need a Hull, a physical body so to speak. They need an engine, or some method of propulsion, from sails to slaves with oars to internal combustion. That lets them move. The need a hold, to carry things. They need a rudder, to steer themselves. If they are warships they need weapons to deal damage with, and armor to withstand damage. So that leaves me with the following breakdown:

Hull = HP
Engine = Speed
Hold = Inventory/carry capacity
Rudder = Movement or maneuvering
Weapons = Attack
Armor = Defense

Now, with those basic stats, we can start breaking down actual mechanics. One thing I've always been kind of weirded out by is the fact that large vehicles are often considered...living, in a way. Essentially, when your characters get on their ship, the game zooms out to just look at the ship and treat it like a singular character. The characters on the ship tend not to do much. There's very little connection between the actions the ship takes and the actions the characters take. So if pirates board the ship, either the zoomed out ship to ship combat vanishes in favor of on deck character combat, or the boarding is abstracted and the ship to ship combat continues.

To get away from that, I want to have positions of a sort. So, for the ship to maneuver, it needs someone at the helm. For it to continue to move at full pace, it needs someone working the engine. To shoot, it needs someone manning the guns. And if it gets boarded, the players will have the choice between abandoning their stations to fend off the boarders or continuing their jobs to try and sink the other vessel.
>>
>>54775189
https://youtu.be/Ta2akHVbepo?t=11m41s This video of a Urealms campaign shows off exactly this. Cannons needed to be loaded and manned, the ship needed to be steered. It's a long video but you can see this throughout.
>>
>>54775189
I suggest looking at the rules in Rogue Trader. They are spaceships but the "ships of the line IN SPACE!" kind. Its rules have the PCs get involved in different aspects of ship combat and voyage.

A "hold" was historically measured in tuns, which is a barrel containing about 1.000 liters of water or 1.000 kilos.

You also could have a position of someone repairing the ship and/or making sure the crew does as ordered.

http://imgur.com/a/yZDSn
This album has mostly real ships images I collected.

>One thing I've always been kind of weirded out by is the fact that large vehicles are often considered...living, in a way.
You might have no idea how much this is true.

>They need an engine, or some method of propulsion, from sails to slaves with oars to internal combustion.
There are more options if you wish. The chinese had paddlewheel ships moved by their crew instead of oars.
>>
File: catamaran super-galley.png (2MB, 2496x652px) Image search: [Google]
catamaran super-galley.png
2MB, 2496x652px
>>54777221
>>
>>54775189
Of Ships and the Sea is late Advanced Dungeons & Dragons detailed rulebook for ships. It has detailed files.
>>
File: 4-butuanboat2.jpg (94KB, 493x640px) Image search: [Google]
4-butuanboat2.jpg
94KB, 493x640px
>>54777237
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.