[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/awg/ Alternative Wargames General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 328
Thread images: 56

File: ghost archipelago snakeman.jpg (25KB, 431x583px) Image search: [Google]
ghost archipelago snakeman.jpg
25KB, 431x583px
Snek - Edition

Preview for Ghost Archipelago Figures
https://www.wargamesillustrated.net/ghost-archipelago-figures/

>What is /awg/?
A thread to talk about minis and games which fall between the cracks, or people's homebrew wargames. /hwg/ doesn't entertain fantasy (for good reason) and the other threads are locked to very specific games, so this thread isn't tied to a game, or a genre, lets talk about fun wargames.

Any scale, any genre, any company, any minis. Skirmishers welcome. Rules designers welcome.

>Examples of games that qualify
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_miniature_wargames
Grimdark Future, Age of Fantasy, Mighty Armies, Dragon Rampant, Of Gods and Mortals, Frostgrave, Hordes of the Things, Songs of Blades and Heroes, Freebooter's Fate, Dark Age, LotR and anything that doesn't necessarily have a dedicated thread (gorkamundheim).

>Places to get minis
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1D2DbNJ2mYAUxh5P9Pq9NZqS5tXHGn0i2JhZchEwbA2I/edit?usp=sharing

>The Novice Trove
http://pastebin.com/viWJ1Yvk

Last thread
>>54666721
>>
Any good summer sales on?
>>
Anyone interested in a Gundam-esque wargame? I'm in the process of writing one now. It's made to be simple and fast to play. If you have any ideas please share them and I might add them in.
>>
File: 6mm Fantasy Dread Elves 3.png (422KB, 1152x540px) Image search: [Google]
6mm Fantasy Dread Elves 3.png
422KB, 1152x540px
>>54773625
Watcha building, watcha playing?
>>
>>54773873
I'd be interested in helping as a huge Gundam fan. Got a way to contact you outside of 4chan?
>>
File: big haro.jpg (486KB, 700x985px) Image search: [Google]
big haro.jpg
486KB, 700x985px
>>54773873
>>
>>54774029
It's in its very early stages at the moment (just wrote the first page actually) but when I'm further through the process I'll take up a tripcode and maybe get an email going as well and post regular updates. Mostly just looking for ideas right now
>>
Ambush Alley has used up my remaining patience, I think. Any other good games about insurgency/irregular warfare?
>>
>>54774061
Good time to set up a Discord for it then. Figure out which universe you want to base the physics on.
>>
>>54774081
Yeah I'll look into setting one up when I get home from vacation. Currently stuck on mobile up north.
>>
>>54774133
Alright.

Are you thinking of doing original mechs or using 1/144 Gunpla as the basic unit?
>>
>>54774156
1/300 Gashapon Gundams
>>
>>54774757
They're 1/400 and hard to get hold of outside of Ebay bulk buying junk.
>>
>>54773625
Has anyone ever played kings of war?
I've been seeing a lot of ads for it and I'm interested in playing a warhammer FB esc game that is has a more midevil combat flavor
>>
>>54774821
They come in 1/300 as well. Ive had a fairly easy time tracking them down
>>
>>54774017
Built some mounted Samurai for Test of Honour.

I'm very annoyed that I have to buy the 2 player box to get the full card rules, but the game is pretty fun.
>>
>>54773873
Is it ground or space based?
>>
>>54774976
If you're making a game to play by yourself or with friends then cool but what about with other people wanting to play? They have to source these things as well
>>
>>54773651
They very well might, but my plan is to have an entire unit(probably the most basic guys) armed with swords to help make them more visually distinct from the elite guys with a hand weapon and shield. Also I know the idea of a unit of Dwarfs armed with swords will make some neckbeard somewhere absurdly angry.

>>54775017
That's the major thing keeping me from investing. I HATE the Wargames factory Samurai models, so the fact I'd have to buy boxes of models I'll never use just to get unit cards is a big turn-off.

Shame too because, as you said, the rules are fun.
>>
>>54775404
Both
>>54775437
Would be a lot cheaper to get 1/300 stuff than 1/144, wouldn't it?
>>
>>54775493
It's not the models, I just don't need 2 player's worth of sets to play the game.
>>
>>54775671
That's a fair point, as well.
>>
>>54774017
>building/painting
Terminator Genisys Resistance fighters, commissioned RT-style orks, and anxiously contemplating whether my impulse purchase of Dredd minis was actualy a good idea yes it was
>playing
Nothing atm, will have a go at Terminator some weeks down the road.

>>54775493
I kind of think that short people with short weapons is a dumb idea. Why would they play to their weakness even more?
>>
>>54774017
>building/painting
Building some reinforcements for my Empire of the Dead gang, but painting up a bunch of Afrika Korps for an upcoming local Bolt Action Tournament.

>playing
Just got in a game of Empire a week or so ago, and tried out Halo Fleet Battles for the first time.

>>54775677
Not the same anon, but I can't fucking stand the WGF plastic samurai and the outrageous markup warlord has put on them. I could stand them back when they were 25 guys for 20 or so USD.
>>
File: Size Reference 2 - N scale.jpg (873KB, 1691x1042px) Image search: [Google]
Size Reference 2 - N scale.jpg
873KB, 1691x1042px
>>54774821
>They're 1/400 and hard to get hold of outside of Ebay bulk buying junk.
>>54775437

...hirojapanbrand sells singles and I've never had any complaints. Also, they made 1/300s for the Strategy of Gundam line, they're about the size of a GI Joe. Got a full Black Tri Stars Zaku I team, Char Custom, Dom, Gouf, and a couple -IIFs. And unlike the 1/400s, you can get a Guntank for under twenty bucks. Super easy to source.

>>54775541
>Would be a lot cheaper to get 1/300 stuff than 1/144, wouldn't it?
Yeah. 1/144 runs from 15 to 30 a model, albeit a little cheaper from resellers. Average grunt suits run about $2-5/pop in both 1/400 and 1/300.

>>54776027
>I kind of think that short people with short weapons is a dumb idea. Why would they play to their weakness even more?
Ask the Romans. In fact, Legionary gear is pretty much ideal for the shit Dwarves would be doing in their home areas.
>>
File: Basic gundam size references.jpg (540KB, 1620x1276px) Image search: [Google]
Basic gundam size references.jpg
540KB, 1620x1276px
>>54776261
Whoops, meant this one. Oh well. Shows all the "action figure" and gashapon scales pretty effectively. G-Sight is the only one that's hard to find. The 1/300s are usually slightly cheaper for the basic suits, and still in active production, but the 1/400s have a MUCH broader pool of available units.
>>
>>54774075
Skirmish Sangin and/or Skirmish Afrika

No End in Sight

Jihad v1.5 from Stan Johansen Miniatures
>>
>>54776361
>Jihad v1.5 from Stan Johansen Miniatures
First I've heard of this.
>>
>>54776261
I've been into Gundam for almost 20 years now and I've never heard of this scale from any one or that store. A HGUC GM is like $9 on amazon.com right now. Everyone has access to them and they're easy to build but have a huge model range.

Unless you're wanting to do a full skirmish game with like 10+ suits I simply can't think why you wouldn't pick something people will already own as the unit size. Having 3-5 MS and high damage on weapons would make for an ideal game. Build it so the key strategy is piece trading. Weaker units become more valuable than Gundam spam because if I can trade 1 of my 2 2 point Zakus for your 4 point GM then I'm trading up. Cheap suits become not only viable options but also vital in that you can use them to flank and force your enemy's valuable MS out of cover.

Make it so that having cover is really important due to high damage weapons (say a single hit from a bazooka or beam rifle will kill 30% of the time) but ranges are short and cover just blocks LoS and nothing more.

You also have the advantage of using Gunpla's natural functionality to the game. If you take a shot then you might end up losing an arm, so just pop the arm off and set it aside.
>>
>>54774017
Doing final prep for a big cheesy space opera Full Thrust mega battle, an alliance of Soviets and space pirate rock-men against evil blue space elves near the event horizon of a black hole.

It should be immense, the mission is to buy time for a boarding party of Spetsnaz Space Marines to assassinate the elf emperor on the bridge of his flagship.

I foresee it ending like The Emperor vs Horus, only with Horus replaced by a squad of drunk angry Russian special forces.
>>
>>54777973
Sounds awesome, Silicate comrades united to bring down the Elf menace sound fun as fuck.
>>
>>54778174
It's the culmination of a truly great RPG campaign with the PCs as members of a BPRD style organisation working out of 1980s Osaka. It started with a cyborg monster hijacking a truck and ended with them commanding the Soviet Spacefleet against an alien emperor they pissed off in a bar fight (he was on a "diplomatic mission" that mostly involved him spending his fortune betting on an illegal human vs alien bloodsport arena run by the mafia)
>>
>>54777973
>drunk angry Russian special forces.

Is there any other kind?
>>
>>54778633
Russians can be suicidal too, but suicidal Russians usually become novelists rather than soldiers.
>>
>>54778677
Or opposition politicians
>>
Maybe this is the wrong thread in which to ask, but can anybody point me to the pdfs for the Not-BattleTech game, CAV?
>>
>>54780624
They're free on Reaper's site

http://www.reapermini.com/Games/CAV
>>
File: heavy-gear.jpg (49KB, 752x390px) Image search: [Google]
heavy-gear.jpg
49KB, 752x390px
>>54776286
Not sure how much you care about official-ness of your gundam suits, but you might also consider using some stuff from Heavy Gear as proxies. IIRC they're technically 1/144 or 1/160, but are smaller in-universe. They look to be right around the same height as your 1/350 model there.
>>
>>54780661
Thanks, anon. I'm now looking for the Journal of Recognition 1 and 2.
>>
File: CAV.jpg (46KB, 853x351px) Image search: [Google]
CAV.jpg
46KB, 853x351px
>>54780661
>>54780715
Oh yeah, and the CAV models from reaper are a little bigger (10mm scale but closer to gundams in-universe), but you can get them dirt cheap now in the bones plastic.

I'm one of those gamers that's perfectly happy to source big stompy robots from 30 different manufacturers in one army, though... if you're pickier about accuracy, these may not work.
>>
While we're on the topic of giant robots, any suggestions for what games I can run using mechwarrior minis?
>>
>>54780936
Gruntz?
>>
>>54776261
>Ask the Romans.
Fair enough, tho they had the pila, which is a really fucking awesome thing. Dorfs usually get throwin axes that while nice, are not the same.
>>
File: MechAttachWGVCoverImage.jpg (43KB, 247x320px) Image search: [Google]
MechAttachWGVCoverImage.jpg
43KB, 247x320px
>>54780936
Maybe mech attack? It's like $6 on wargame vault.
>>
>>54780936
Horizon Wars is "ultralight battletech".

Dirtside 2 has mechs in.

Speaking of, the rules for Stargrunt 2 are impressively woolly on force creation and game size (full on "we didn't bother with points" stuff), if anyone has played it is this a reasonable army (using 15mm Humvees and Bradleys, and modern US infantry plus probably Heavy Gear mecha)?

Infantry Platoon
HQ - 4 men, 1 SAW, in "Mule" IFV (Class 2 Wheeled vehicle, Extra MG, 2x GMS/L)

3x Infantry Squad - 8 men, 2 SAWs, in "Husky" APC (Class 3 Tracked vehicle, Turreted GAC/1, 2x GMS/L)

ATGM Section - 4 men, 2x GMS/L, in Mule

2x Osiris Assault Gear (Class 2 Walker, HEL/3, GMS/H)

2 small mecha and 32 infantry in 5 vehicles seems a decent size army and can be built cheapish from Skytrex or something.

Also have a photo of my FT ships for >>54777973
>>
Any thoughts on designing a single player focused game? How would you go about making a horde mode type game?
>>
>>54781180
Strong AI with lots of possible options and a bit of randomness, pre-determined goals for them.
>>
>>54781010
Gnome Romans would be an amusing joke. Take their goofiness away, keep their stereotypical love of engineering, and go wild with the idea of Ancient Gnomans with spring-loaded Pila and mag-repulsive scuta.
>>
File: 12-59da5207fa.jpg (391KB, 904x1225px) Image search: [Google]
12-59da5207fa.jpg
391KB, 904x1225px
Any one make a highly detailed skeleton figure big enough to eat a 28mm model but at a reasonable cost?
>>
>>54773873
I think Osprey recently published a game like that.
If you read a few reviews you may get a few ideas. There were some people that had an issue with the implementation of cutomization.
I think he used a hardpoint system, but people felt the game was imbalanced.

Anyway, as long it is a bit less crunchy than BattleTech you are good.

Heavy Gear has some interesting ideas about the genre as well. They have a neat activation system and interesting rules for indirect fire or using the mechs sensory arrays to improve your fire. I'm a bit fuzzy on the details, I only saw a battlereport, but it looked like the game had some good ideas.
And it doesn't place the focus solely on the Mechs either.
>>
>>54774970
I personally haven't played it, but from what I hear the rules are good.
Alessio Cavatore, who also worked on WHFB wrote them.
They are however quite a bit more streamlined from what I gather. The stuff that Rick Priestley would refer to as 'grit', all the small checks and special exceptions that make your life difficult are missing.

I know some people are turned off by that, but I think GW usually goes a bit overboard with that.

Anyway, maybe you'll get a few more answers if you ask in /wfb/, pretty sure there are a bunch of guys over there that gave it a try after WHFB passed.
>>
>>54781180
Chainsaw Warrior was a pretty cool take on singleplayer boardgames. Basically a First Person Shooter with dice.
Their approach was that you pick weapons and items at the beginning of the game and then draw cards from a deck that randomly determine where you are going and what your encounters are.

It was basically a zombie shooter, so kind of a hordes kind of thing, you just weren't fighting them all at once.
>>
>>54781687
>a highly detailed skeleton figure big enough to eat a 28mm model but at a reasonable cost?
The Reaper Bones 4 Kickstarter has a skeletal Owlbear, Manticore and a few other fantastical beasts.
If you were going for a humanoid skeleton you can still give Reaper a look cause I think they may have a skeletal giant too somewhere in their catalog. They also recently came out with a skeletal minotaur. Minotaurs eating people is kind of a staple, right?

WHFB also had skeletal giants for the Tomb Kings range. You'd have to hunt one down on ebay, so I can't guarantee it's gonna be reasonably priced.

If none of that works you could look around for 1:32/35 miniatures that would reasonable with a skull headswap. I've seen quite a few people sell 54mm skulls in basing or bits kits.
>>
File: IG_2361_1.jpg (56KB, 371x500px) Image search: [Google]
IG_2361_1.jpg
56KB, 371x500px
>>54781951
>I think they may have a skeletal giant too somewhere in their catalog.

They have two - 77116 Colossal Skeleton and 02742 Skeletal Giant (pictured).
>>
>>54780781
Thanks for the info. Yeah 1/400 would probably work just fine with the system as well. Just finished page 8. Long way to go.
>>
>>54782788
Oh forgot to mention, I'm also working on rules for an Angel-esque army like from Evangelion. If you guys know any other archetypes you want me to throw in, let me know. Kaiju are next.
>>
>>54782826
Veritechs, as well as any other "Fighter-to-Mecha" types as well. Hell, a Herzog Zwei mode would be amazing.
>>
>>54781115
>Horizon Wars is "ultralight battletech".
Literally started out that way. Author offered free PDFs of the Horizon Wars rules to people who'd bought the previous version, which was really basic but still fun.

I like Horizon Wars, it's almost as good a light microarmour/picoarmour wargame as Ogre.
>>
>>54781180
Things to check out: Two Hour Wargames, Gears of War, Featherstone's Solo Wargaming, Featherstone's Skirmish Wargaming, the Lone Warrior magazine, the Lone Wolf Roleplaying google+ group0 ( https://plus.google.com/communities/116965157741523529510 ), um, oh!, Space Infantry, the boardgame from LnL games, that is pretty fun and solo.

Chainsaw Warrior is kinda fun but also badly-designed.
>>
>>54781643
>Gnome Romans
So, Imperial Gnoman Legions?

>>54781687
I'll second reaper, check this out:
https://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/skeleton/sku-down/77116
>>
>>54774970
>>54781786
Don't want to crud up this thread too much with Kings Of War (since we were talking about it a lot already in the last one), but I've played it quite a lot and I think it's great. Basically Warhammer Fantasy, with all the useless crap pruned out. It feels like what I nostalgically remember being fun about WHFB.

There are freebie rules and lists available on Mantic's site, so give it a spin and see for yourself.
>>
>>54774970
It's good. It is a lot less about list building and very much about decisions on the table, plus you can get a game in in less than an hour while still being satisfied. Can't reccomend it enough.
>>
What AWG has the most active UK tournament scene?
>>
Does somebody have a good source for battle reports, especially of the /awg/ kind?
>>
>>54782876
Ill see what I can do
>>
>>54783569
I think youtube is gonna be your best bet.
I've seen a few by Guerillia Wargaming. They were fairly well made by youtube standards.
>>
>>54783561
I would think either malifaux or guild ball, from what I heard. Assuming you also don't count blood bowl. SAGA is probably up there as well.
>>
Gundam Wargame anon here again. What scale should I build the game around? Its not too late to change it. I was thinking 1/300 since they're easy to find on eBay and since 1/300 is the same as 6mm, it gives you a lot of options since plenty of companies make tanks and such in that scale. If I go 1/500 however, you would be able to use the nice Jovian Chronicles minis and you could use 2mm tanks since they would probably look fine together.
>>
>>54783733
Another option I forgot would be to go middle of the road so it would work with anything from 1/500-1/400-1/300. That way you could get away with pretty much whatever
>>
>>54783664
Can't stand Malifaux DESU. It's far too complex for it's own good. Any of the single mechanics are fine but when you stack multiple objectives, hand management and special snowflake model rules it becomes over whelming IMO
>>
>>54781643
>Gnome Romans
No, no, the Romans are Orcs, the Halflings are Barbarians.
>>
File: hfreminimus.jpg (28KB, 600x313px) Image search: [Google]
hfreminimus.jpg
28KB, 600x313px
>>54784367
but wait, the Romans are Halflings...
>>
File: Multi Goblins Ad.jpg (251KB, 797x350px) Image search: [Google]
Multi Goblins Ad.jpg
251KB, 797x350px
>>54784404
...and also Goblins?

It's confusing enough to drive you to drink and/or flintloque.
>>
File: mys500-back.jpg (18KB, 620x189px) Image search: [Google]
mys500-back.jpg
18KB, 620x189px
>>54784424
...especially once you realise the Orcs aren't quite Romans, they're Nomans. Gnomes. My god.

Have some penguin pike & shot.
>>
File: BFPs_1024x1024.jpg (67KB, 1024x373px) Image search: [Google]
BFPs_1024x1024.jpg
67KB, 1024x373px
>>54784466
Well, icicle and snowball.

Not like these ladies, who look like they've seen some serious shit on patrol in 'nam.
>>
File: LaserPegacorn_1024x1024.jpg (154KB, 1024x956px) Image search: [Google]
LaserPegacorn_1024x1024.jpg
154KB, 1024x956px
>>54784498
They don't have Puff running air support, but they do have their own variation on CAS helos.

The oven gloves are because the rainbow laser gun gets hot.
>>
Now THIS is /awg/
>>
File: yhst-51356505839231_2272_3987805.jpg (499KB, 1559x808px) Image search: [Google]
yhst-51356505839231_2272_3987805.jpg
499KB, 1559x808px
>>54784534
Oh dear! A late-running entrant to the "what the fuck are Romans, really?" argument: some of them are Werewolves, while others simply ride giant wolves!
>>
File: SV514_1024x1024.jpg (56KB, 760x500px) Image search: [Google]
SV514_1024x1024.jpg
56KB, 760x500px
>>54784606
Maybe we should move to a later period. Things might be clearer with, say, Landsknechts.
>>
>>54784686
Good Lord is that from Wargames Foundry?
>>
File: WG409_1024x1024.jpg (44KB, 750x493px) Image search: [Google]
WG409_1024x1024.jpg
44KB, 750x493px
>>54784686
This has all gone horribly wrong so I'm just going to start posting dicks.
>>
File: X021 Incubus (c) composite.jpg (250KB, 762x400px) Image search: [Google]
X021 Incubus (c) composite.jpg
250KB, 762x400px
>>54784726
That can't possibly get confusing.

>>54784725
Yeah, well, Casting Room Miniatures now, they've spun some of their stuff out under a different name for reasons that I cannot begin to remember.
>>
File: sgtspannerweb.jpg (260KB, 600x466px) Image search: [Google]
sgtspannerweb.jpg
260KB, 600x466px
>>54784764
(the hammer is his penis, i mean spanner, i mean the spanner is his hammer, wait, no)
>>
File: VSF_12.jpg (108KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
VSF_12.jpg
108KB, 600x450px
>>54784790
I SAY DID YOU SAY SPANNER ARE YOU AN ENGINEER DO YOU LIKE COGS LET'S ALL GO STEAMPUNK TALLY HO!

vsf is actually better than and not steampunk
>>
File: pa-37.jpg (168KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
pa-37.jpg
168KB, 600x450px
>>54784832
oh god who let kids into the Zone the Zone is not a place for kids they will be dead before you can say cheeki breeki
>>
File: pa-02.jpg (85KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
pa-02.jpg
85KB, 600x450px
>>54784860
blowout soon, children! this way!
>>
>>54784889
Faster, cyka, the steampunks are gaining on us!
>>
File: SOR0042.jpg (132KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
SOR0042.jpg
132KB, 600x450px
>>54784919
I'm bored now, so I'll stop with some orc pirates. They may be romans, or gnomes, I don't know.
>>
>tfw want to buy single metals but can't be arsed paying £2+ £3p&p

I need to go to wargaming shows, I'm in Yorkshire I think there's one in Leeds next
>>
What's your favorite fantasy skirmish ruleset?

What's your favorite skirmish ruleset in general?
>>
>>54785099
1) pulp alley
2) fivecore
>>
File: 1500484730717.png (3MB, 1381x891px) Image search: [Google]
1500484730717.png
3MB, 1381x891px
>>54785099

Song of Blades and Heroes because I'm a brainlet when it comes to rulesets these days.

Open Combat is cool too, slightly less lightweight than SoBaH. Generic enough for either medieval combat or light fantasy, but if you want to have your big Reaper Bones monsters the special rules of SoBaH work better.
>>
>>54785160
that's a lie my favourite fantasy skirmish ruleset is literally dungeons & dragons (1974, no supplements, alternate combat system)

but that's my inner grog talking and for fantasy that isn't literally d&d, it's pulp alley
>>
>>54784959
This was great
We should have these more often
>>
>>54783561
probably Lord of the Rings actually.
>>
>>54784404
>>54784424
REEE GET OUT BIGGERS! THIS IS OUR EMPIRE!!!
>>
>>54773625

So is there a standard way to base 6mm miniatures? Most of what I've seen is 16 figs to a 20x40mm base.

I'm looking to get either Baccus or Irregular 6mm and wanted to do my modeling homework before I take the plunge.
>>
>>54784498
If/when I get back to my fighting anime kids wargame these girls are getting painted up as a gang of delinquent Pretty Cures
>>
>>54784048
>Can't stand Malifaux DESU. It's far too complex for it's own good.
Takes all kinds. If you ask most of the malifaux die hards, that's exactly what they like about it. Look on the upside, though, at least it's nowhere near as complicated now as it was in 1st edition.
>>
>>54786173
My Horizon Wars stuff is based 3-5 men or 2 tanks in loose formation on a 20x40 base or 25mm round base, but then again I wanted small squads or irregular units.

I also had some units of 2-3 infantry escorting a light vehicle or standing around a truck to represent mechanised squads.
>>
File: Jaws-2.jpg (46KB, 601x454px) Image search: [Google]
Jaws-2.jpg
46KB, 601x454px
>>54784686
>Maybe we should move to a later period. Things might be clearer with, say, Landsknechts.
Any relation to Landsharks?
>>
>>54786173
Depends on the system. With Epic it's "Whateverthefuck" for example.
>>
>>54784764
where to find irl?
>>
>>54773625
anyone used Studio minis? I bought some at a con and I've just sprayed them with humbrol spray but it scrapes off easily and I've not had this problem with humbrol before. They're cast in white metal idk if maybe theres a chemical or w/e on them which I need to scrub off first
>>
>>54786173
Totally depends on what you're playing. Fantasy and historical systems will often use number of figures on the base to designate different types of unit - at 6mm, the same 40x20 base could accomodate anything from 30 pikemen in close formation down to 5 or 6 skirmishers spread out.

Modern and Scifi games tend to do a 6mm base as representing a half-squad or single fireteam. IIRC in Epic it was 5 dudes on either a 25x25 or a 40x10, depending on edition.
>>
>>54787476
Always good practice to scrub minis when you get them, they can have mold sealing agent or whatever it is on them
>>
>>54787526
thanks I thought it was only resin you needed to scrub. Will do
>>
>>54787833
It never hurts to wash every miniature you get.
>>
>>54785099
1.) Open Combat or SoBaH. Probably Open Combat

2.) FiveCore
>>
>>54785099
>What's your favorite fantasy skirmish ruleset?
It's SoBaH, but I also really like AoS, but that depends on who you talk to, whether they consider AoS a skirmish game or not.
>What's your favorite skirmish ruleset in general?
See above most likely. Right now 40k, AoS, and SoBaH are my favorite games to play at this point. But I am always up for trying lots of games when I can.
>>
Open Combat or SoBaH?
>>
File: oni1.jpg (43KB, 593x411px) Image search: [Google]
oni1.jpg
43KB, 593x411px
converted up and painted an Oni for Test of honour.

Also wrote a card and scenario for it to act as a wondering monster.

Got some 1/72 romans and gauls on the table with a giant tortoise model to act as moving roman fortress and a hill giant for the gauls so i can play dragon rampant without too much space.
>>
>>54788748
Sobah for me, It's simpler.

Open combat would be good if you really like the stats of warhammer.I picked it up at salute but haven't played, And desu it was pricey as hell./
>>
>>54788829
That's damn cool, 10/10!

Where's it from?
>>
File: onicard.jpg (58KB, 372x518px) Image search: [Google]
onicard.jpg
58KB, 372x518px
>>54788869
It's a reaper bones ogre chieftain with greenstuff horns and hair.

Here's the scenario if anyone is interested.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hq_F62-sLS1lwE29GTpShKXnKL_cyaGT56Kdpd8HuBI/edit?usp=sharing
>>
>>54788829
Is this game any good? What sets it apart?
>>
>>54788969
>It's a reaper bones ogre chieftain with greenstuff horns and hair.
Holy shit that's inspired. I want to make an entirely oni sobah warband now, lol.
>>
>>54789000
I like it because it's very simple ,no maths at all, yet the rules handle variable sized games really well.
they do what the authors intended which is to mimic the feel of hollywood style samurai films, lots of quick combat and rushing aaround, not getting bogged down in hacking blocks of infantry,

They might feel a little light if you prefer more in depth rules, But they have a nice openness that suits narrative gaming. The rules even encourage you to do cool stuff in game, like useyour agility to jump a chasm, or your brain skills to unlock a door and run through a building to get the drop on your enemy.

I prefer it to Ronin which o me feels too granular to really capture the atmosphere of samurai fighting.
>>
File: oni.jpg (55KB, 598x597px) Image search: [Google]
oni.jpg
55KB, 598x597px
>>54789035

Do it anon.do it.
>>
>>54789103
What's your opinion on cav? I want to build into Takeda clan cavalry force.
>>
>>54789103
That sounds awesome. How simple is it compared to something like SoBaH?
>>
>>54789159
I haven't played with any cavalry yet, But from what i've heard they work pretty well as fast and mobile ranged support, moving in to shoot at units before making their escape, or as shock troops able to plough through ashigaru units or swarm a samurai hero.

You migth end up playing catch up with your enemy if you take too many of them in agmes below 15 points, But one or two should offer some nice mobile gap fillers.

For larger games they really seem worth taking.
>>
>>54789215
How important are the cards? The game was fun but I really am bothered by the bigass box with two player's worth of content being the sole starter.
>>
>>54789188
ToH and SoBaH are the only two games where i have read the rules and actually understood straight away how the game plays.
It's got more stats but there's no rolling to values, your stats are the number of dice you roll so you instantly know how good/bad you did.
The action system is nice, It means you can respond to your opponents decisions in real time.

I think SoBaH is a great jack of all trades but can struggle to do larger games, ToH has perfected one style of game and so works well within that range.
>>
>>54789266
yeah that almost put me off aswell.
I wish warlord would release a rulebook and cards separate from the box, But you can find the cards on the ToH facebook page .
>>
>>54789272
>I think SoBaH is a great jack of all trades but can struggle to do larger games
This I will fully admit is its biggest weakness.

For bigger battles, I have been looking at dragon rampant and it seems interesting. I'll try it out at some point.
>>
>>54789345
I like dragon rampant, but it can sometimes feel a bit samey.
It helps if you go all in with the crazy units, wizards,monsters and warmachines ect ect.
one good thinbg is that the way reduce model units work means you can have a full dwarven army fighting off smaug, Or a single giant vs a village of halflings.
Just as easily as you can do what i do and use it for alt historical games of turtle riding nomad romans vs gauls lead by a hill giant.
>>
doggy, no idea where its from
>>
>>54789272
>The action system is nice, It means you can respond to your opponents decisions in real time.
Can you tell us about this?
>>
>>54785099
>Favorite fantasy skirmish ruleset
I'm pretty fond of Bushido and Open Combat. I'm hoping Kings of War Vangaurd is decent enough.

>Favorite skirmish ruleaet
Probably Dark Age. That game is so damn solid and fun, and it's perfectly brutal for what it tries to do. I also love the fact that weapins can malfunction and really ruin your day.
>>
>>54789787
>I'm hoping Kings of War Vangaurd is decent enough.
Have they revealed literally any info on it yet
>>
>>54788748
Open Combat imo. it's a tiny bit more crunchy but i think it feels better than SoBaH.
>>
>>54789724
It's the standard warlord tokens in a bag thing, But with a bit of a twist.

in short, each unit has a certain number of actions it can perform per turn.A samurai hero has 5, an ashigaru has 1.
This number tells you how many tokens of that units type (hero,samurai,commoner) you put into a container.
You and your opponenent take turns drawing tokens and assinging them to the relevent unit , which can then take an action.

There are also fate tokens which cause you to skip a go ,and when the third one of those is drawn it ends the turn even if there are actions left in the bag.

The differnece between it and something liek bolt action is that yours and your opponents tokens are mixed, So ifyour opponenent takes alot of ashigaru then there will be alot more chance of you pulling an ashigaru token from the pool and being able to act with one of yours, or having to pass it over because you don't have any ashigaru left to act.

You keep going ,activiating units token by token until you either run out of tokens or the third fate token is drawn.
Once you run out you put them back in and the next turn starts.

Units aren't acting all at once. They're acing blow by blow.Your foootsoldiers will mostly be doing one thing per turn but your samurai and heroes can move in, attack , move out, counter attack and block, exchange blows and respond to each other several times in a single turn.
>>
>>54789824
Never even heard of it until just now, And i worked in a store that stocked mantic pretty heavily!
>>
>>54789880
It's actually 3 action for samurai
>>
>>54789824
Nothing solid yet, but I'm hopeful.
>>
>>54790060
you are correct, I was thinking of the points cost.
>>
>>54787436
>where to find irl?
Hasslefree Minis. Kev does a lot of dongs and tits.
>>
>>54773873
Make it with a standard war gear list. Just an example: have regular cannon fodder grade Zaku II take a sniper rifle.
To keep it fast I would minimize the customization of player made units, but still have the ability to play "custom" units that where featured in the show. I would also downplay (or eliminate from the rules) the super special abilities from certain shows, like Gundam builder fighters, Mobile fighter G Gundam, etc.
>>
>>54780936
>While we're on the topic of giant robots, any suggestions for what games I can run using mechwarrior minis

MechWarrior: Age of Destruction was always fun.
>>
>>54783733
>>54783820

Then leave a note in the rules to just double the distances for playing with 1/144 scale.
>>
>>54790973
>>54791295
Will do, thanks
>>
File: 1434636897229.jpg (35KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1434636897229.jpg
35KB, 640x480px
>>54791444

Where are you planing on publishing the rules, and have you decided on a name of the rule system yet?
>>
>>54791493
Not sure how ill go about publishing as of yet. The title isn't really set yet but I've been calling it Mexceed
>>
>>54789911
problem is mantic models are ugly and shitty
>>
>>54793911

If only you could use whatever minis you wanted.
>>
I'm seriously considering putting together a co op focused 1/144 Gundam game. Design it with modern design style with minimum base rules then more complex model rules.

I like the idea of action points you can spend at any time in any way. So you always have 4, you could move 4 units, or move 3 units and shoot with one, or you could move 1 unit 3 times and shoot with it.

I like that it gives a real animu feeling where the last guy standing becomes more of a threat because he's the last guy standing.
>>
>>54796328
I was skeptical right up until the last sentence, but that does sound perfect for animu inspired games.
>>
>>54796328
Infinity does something like that, it works pretty well. It adds a bit more depth with "Irregular" units whose action can't be used by anyone else.
>>
>>54796354
Maybe Ace units could do that. I'd need to find a way to make grunt swarms viable though. I would like it be possible to have up to like 6 MS but I don't want the meta to be taking 4 Zakus and then Char's Gelgoog who uses 6 action points every turn so the Zakus become cheerleaders.
>>
>>54796445
No model may take more than half the total available orders unless it is last man standing?

Then have a skill like Infinity's Impetuous for aces, where they get a "free" action with some drawback (Hotblooded pilots must use it for attacking, support pilots must use it for some noncombat action etc)
>>
>>54797036
>No model may take more than half the total available orders unless it is last man standing?
Every model has one native AP and puts a second AP into a general pool?
>>
>>54797064
That works if you're keeping forces small, I like it.
>>
>>54796354
>it works pretty well.
Isn't part of this is also because enemy units have unlimited reactions? If the enemies couldn't react it'd be entirely garbage.

And of course the order pool is sorta flipped, since in Infinity you just have Orders equal to your Mans - so as you lose men, you lose orders.
>>
>>54797064
This creates the cheerleaders problem. Why take say 2 Doms and a Gouf when you can take 4 Zakus and a Gelgoog who then gets 7 action points?
>>
>>54793911
>problem is mantic models are ugly and shitty
They're fine for game pieces. I wouldn't use them for centerpiece models or anything I'm entering for competition painting, but for regular rank and file dudes they work great. Big part of the appeal is the cost, of course - a lot of the standard plastic infantry work out to less than 1 USD per dude.

A lot of competing manufacturers are 2 or 3 times that. At the extreme end, GW dudes are sometimes 5 or 6 times that much for comparable pieces. Obviously there's a big difference in level of detail there, but for game pieces that are just going to get banged up anyway, it makes little difference.
>>
>>54797673
I'd probably guess that something like a single lucky beam rifle shot can end that Gelgoog's career, much like in Infinity. Ramboing there is a risky gambit, and if you can reach out and touch his cheerleaders a ramboing enemy's mega-unit is suddenly left high and dry.
>>
>>54797673
Yeah, but I was suggesting it as a slightly less ugly variant of "everyone generates one ap, anyone can use up to half the total ap."

Cheerleading is only kind of a problem in an anime game - it's also genre-appropriate! sometimes.
>>
>>54797805
That's one of the reasons I wanted it to be possible for 1 unit to Rambo, Using covers important but I want the gameplay to be about positioning and using flanking.

This comes with the difficulty in designing vulcans and machineguns. I thought 1 attack = 1 dice and then a hit modifier would work well for single shot weapons. But multishot weapons would need to roll multiple dice. Maybe have them roll 3, where a machinegun needs 2 hits to actually penetrate armour and vulcans would need 3. That way you still have your 1 hit = 1 destroyed area but still have room for non-beam weapons

>>54797839
This is true. Could also make it so each unit has 1 unique AP and then there's a pool. Maybe included in the unit price is the AP they generate, so a melee suit or a fast suit would generate 2 AP but a sniper suit wouldn't generate any.
>>
>>54797839
>>54797877
Just reading you guys' discussion, had a question / thought. What is it a shared AP system actually DOES for the game? I played a bit of infinity, and I never totally understood it. Seems like you accomplish almost the same thing with a simpler IgoUgo single-activation system, like Chess. Infinity has a bit of a chess-like dynamic anyway, right? Sure, you can move your queen nine times in a row if you want, but you're probably going to leave her overextended, and meanwhile all your support pieces are getting chewed up.

I mean, if you need a round structure, for timing durations of a special effects or whatever, maybe just ditch AP entirely and make it something like:
1) Alternate taking turns; You can activate one unit per turn.
2) There are 10 turns in a Round (arbitrary number - test and adjust)
3) No single unit may be activated more than 3 times in a round. (again, arbitary, test and see what works)

And then of course you have some kind of cleanup phase at the end of each round, and you can start the next round by just continuing the turn order, or have some kind of initiative system if you want to shake it up.
>>
>>54798108
It lets you disconnect combat from movement, you can act without moving or move more without acting.
>>
File: rhino.jpg (189KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
rhino.jpg
189KB, 600x600px
>>54784726
>>
File: rhino.jpg (443KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
rhino.jpg
443KB, 1000x1000px
>>54799235

oops wrong picture ment the 360.
>>
>>54793911
>people who saw their Elves once
>>
>>54798792
Gotcha. As in, you can allocate more AP to simultaneously move and act, or spend less AP to do just one or the other? That's not the same as Infinity, IIRC. In that game, each order gets you a "full" activation, so to speak.
>>
File: 95-219-thickbox.jpg (61KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
95-219-thickbox.jpg
61KB, 600x600px
HEY /awg/ I've a quick question.

I'm looking for a pic of a diorama with a cat people harem/market/civilians, with dancers, kids and a guard.
I'm pretty sure the miniatures where from Alkemy, but I can't find the picture anywhere, nor the single miniatures. Does anybody know the pic I'm talking about or where to find the miniatures?
Thanks and have some cat tiddies.
>>
>>54799548
I haven't seen infinities rules.

Yea. I wanted it so you could sprint, or set up a flanking action for next turn. I like the idea of AP generation being a balancing factor. A general purpose unit could generate 2 AP, a close combat unit 3 and a sniper 1. That way your sniper units can't hit and run, once they settle in they're stuck there if they want to shoot. This accounts for minovsky particles making it hard to target. Melee units on the other hand can rush up the board and start causing trouble immediately. When a Gouf gets in your lines it's going to get 2-3 attacks, when every attack has a 1 in 6 chance of killing you that becomes a seriously threatening piece.
>>
>>54799988
Heavy Gear does something sort of sinilar. Every unit has a number of actions assigned to them. So most basic troopers get 1 action, while heavier stuff might get 2 and the biggest shit gets 3 on average.

Of course in HGB moving doesn't use an action, but the idea can work with each unit get a number of action points they can use with that number varying based on type.

The other thing to consider is that Gundsm is a very mobile thing. Fights are rarely ever stand up brawls. They move, a lot. Perhaps snipers get their 1 action and moving doesn't count as an action but sniper weapons don't let you move and shoot in the same turn.
>>
>>54799773
These are lovely.
I think I'll never be able to have a bare breast mini without my wife looking strange at me
Only thinking on talking to her makes me anxious
I don't know why I married
I don't know how I married
I want a Slaneesh army
>>
Can someone design a robot space game already? Aside from Jovian Chronicles which is very good, but a bit crunchy.
>>
>>54801849
Cuck detected.

>>54802476
Define space robot game.
>>
>>54801849
Maybe her bull will give you permission if you take a fat load down your ugly gullet
>>
File: 01-kraken-starter.gif (648KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
01-kraken-starter.gif
648KB, 600x400px
>>54799773
That'd be the Khaliman Republic starter from Alkemy, I think. The gif is the only picture I could find on the fly.
Some fans snatched up the license and are selling the stuff again, albeit at a premium.
>>
Gundam Wargame anon here, making lots of progress. Working title is "Mexceed Senki", but this is not set in stone. Would you guys prefer the use of D6s or D10s?
>>
>>54805825
Forgot to add, personally I'm leaning towards D10s since it would leave more room for modifiers that aren't gamebreaking, like there would be more room to modify a roll before it gets out of hand since a D10 roll would obviously have a higher average... maybe I'll just go with D10s for now and see how it goes after some playtesting. Would still appreciate some input though
>>
>>54805825
Include your scale or use the name, there's 2 Gundam games being discussed here.
>>
>>54806013
I did use the name. It's called "Mexceed Senki".
>>
>>54805825
Please use d10s.
The extra granularity is so nice, and it's still reasonably small.
I am so tired of seeing d6s in everything ever.
>>
>>54802492
Combat similar to Sunrise 80s robot shows when they're in space, so the Gundams, L-Gaim, Vifam, etc.
>>
>>54806640
Yeah I like D10s as well. My main worry is exploding dice
>>
>>54805825
>>54805865
D10s. Especially if tou're going low model count. I feel like that extra wiggle room really pays off. The standard d6 just doesn't have enough room.
>>
>>54807130
What I was considering was doing 2D6 so it would have s bellcurve. I know the main problem people had with Mekton Zeta was its exploding dice since it used 1D10, and a popular fix was the one introduced in Gundam Senki which was using 2D6
>>
What do exploding dice have to do with a d10, other than a d10 is less likely to explode than a d6?
>>
>>54806936
Very difficult to do due to 3D movement you know? Even vidya can't do it well.
>>
>>54807191
2d6 can work(see Warmahordes and Godslayer for some decent examples), but when it comes to skir.ish games there's just something about d10s that feels right. Especially if you don't want people to need a bucket of dice to play.
>>
>>54807434
I don't mind it being more arcadey, just using a 2D plain like Full Thrust, etc. You can abstract that away with it being all said to be relative positions.
>>
The provisionally titled Mass Effect: Terminus is slowly progressing. Core rules are done. Scenario objectives and deployment maps are done. Battlefield-wide environmental special rules are WIP. Character creation for the campaign system is finished. Generic unit profiles for the Systems Alliance is done. The Council are WIP, as are Terminus Systems Pirates and Mercs, along with the Geth.

I've got notes on how I want the campaign system to run, but nothing formal yet.
>>
File: 1264528936916.jpg (92KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1264528936916.jpg
92KB, 1024x768px
Minovsky battles 0.1 beta ruleset

This is the 1/144 AP based game we were discussing. I've thrown together a basic outline for the ruleset and tried stating a few MS. All weapon values are in flux until I've got a chance to test it but I think it should work okay this way.

https://pastebin.com/QexevFye
>>
Its weird how quickly the homebrews found a home here. Not a bad thing.
>>
>>54807800
As long as nobody mentions Frostgrave this tends to be the more accepting thread.
>>
>>54807800
It's basically the only place left on /tg/ that is old school /tg/. The old guard who actually care about the hobby are invested in this thread. DESU I'm more of a painter than a gamer and I find these threads more home than I do /wip/
>>
>>54807743
>>54807772
Nice speed of rules production.

I find I am enormously slow to do even the smallest thing. This thread always amazes me with this stuff.
>>
>>54808030
JUST DO IT FAGGOT

That's basically how you get shit done. Rather than thinking about it just dive in, even if it's bad it can be refined.
>>
Why do these threads always give me bad ideas? picked up osprey's mad dogs with guns recently and now need to convince the local gang that a buying in to 28mm mobsters is of course in their best interest but also strongly considering tracking down a lot of small gundam models for robot fights.
>>
>>54808159
>bad ideas
>lists good ideas

I don't understand
>>
>>54808159
The same reason I just spent $30 on paint today due to a video I saw on youtube.. When you see cool shit you want to try it.
>>
>>54807874
What's up with Frostgrave? I've been out of /awg/ for a couple month, I don't remember Frostgrave being taboo here before that.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1501540307753.jpg (151KB, 1438x960px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1501540307753.jpg
151KB, 1438x960px
>>54808306

Nah, we got a bit heated a while back but it's not skub-tier.

I'm a fan myself, nice plastics from North Star, and whilst some were bemoaning the amount of expansions/DLC I think it's pretty reasonable for a one-man pet project that's found success.
>>
>>54808306
Not necessarily taboo, but the game itself isn't very good yet some people try to sell it as the best thing since sliced bread. The game lacks the cool narrative and your dudes potential that Mordheim has, while at the same time remains super unbalanced and puts more onus on killing the opposing warband rather than collecting treasure as it intends. It boils down to just a very basic killy game that doesn't have much else going for it. The plastics are a nice option though, I love the classic looking dwarves.
>>
>>54808452
From reading the rules my biggest problem with Frostgrave is that it's over complex and under complex at the same time. Your minions mean nothing but your wizard requires 5 pages of spells. It's overly complicated page flipping wise when it doesn't need to be.
>>
File: Frostgrave magic cards.pdf (2MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Frostgrave magic cards.pdf
2MB, 1x1px
>>54808306
There is just one guy that has a raging hateboner for it for whatever reason.
So whenever people want to discuss it he unleashes a stream of verbal diarrhea that adds nothing to the thread, instead of ignoring it like the 15 other games, which he doesn't play, people are discussing here.
Makes it kind of hard to talk about, when somebody with a compulsion to ruin the discussion for others is around.
Unless we could get a mod to muzzle the idiot. This kind of thread only works with live and let live mindset.

>>54808657
>but your wizard requires 5 pages of spells
but in practice you only get to use a handful of them.
Osprey offers downloadable spell cards that you can use for easy reference.
They also sell printed ones.
>>
>>54808196
The pile of metal/plastic I have in the closet and the wife that keeps glancing at it causes this good idea to seem worse
>>
>>54807800
Is historical homebrew allowed? I've been drafting a skirmish campaign game set in the Italian Wars where you and another player act as condottiero, leading rival bands of mercenaries to gain gold and renown.

I think it belongs here more than /hwg/ because it's less about accurately simulating historical combat and more about the fun of seeing stradiots and landsknecht fighting in the streets of Florence while Genoese crossbowmen and arquebusiers exchange fire across rooftops.
>>
>>54809102
Absolutely.
Interesting premise.
>>
>>54776261
>>54781010

This is actually an interesting point. The Romans essentially started out the Legionary method of fighting specifically with counter-Gaul operations in mind, the Gauls being particularly tall and the Romans tending to short. Their tactics, even before the pila was adopted, consisted of exploiting this difference and turning it into a strength. The legionary essentially hid behind a shield which was almost as big as him, and then got in close to make the Gallic longsword held by long arms difficult to use and stabbed his shortsword at the exposed armpit of the enemy to his right, leaving his own opponent to be attacked by the legionary to his left.

The pila, square/rectangle shield, and heavier armour, added into the equation over the course of the Punic wars, all helped make this more effective, but it still worked fine against orc-like barbarian opponents without those items. Changes to the Polybian legion were partly a response to facing more disciplined enemies, like the Carthaginians and Macedonians, or more wily enemies, like the Iberian guerillas, rather than the generally straight-forward Celts.

So, long story short, this is perfectly reasonable for dwarfs. They might also find pikes particularly beneficial, since they tend to be slow-moving anyway.
>>
>>54807693
The activation system im using already uses 3 dice per player. It wouldn't be s stretch to use 2 for combat I think. Ill playtest both I guess. Really not a fan of exploding dice, and with the bellcurve of 2D6 it would make modifiers a lot easier to balance if that makes sense, I don't know. Im a little drunk right now. The game is heavily inspired by SoBaH because I want it to be simple
>>
>>54809133
Thanks anon, I'll try to pull everything together into a pdf when I have the chance.
>>
>>54807772
This is really cool man. Weird timing as well as I just started making a skirmish mecha game s couple days ago (about 5000 words in atm, just doing unit profiles and polishing now).
>>
File: wge803.jpg (86KB, 410x341px) Image search: [Google]
wge803.jpg
86KB, 410x341px
>>54799773
>alkemy-the-game.com
conversely Crocodile also has a number of cat people civilians (egypt themed)
>>
>>54809388
5000 words is a lot of words.

Care to give an over view?
>>
>>54797036

>Then have a skill like Infinity's Impetuous for aces, where they get a "free" action with some drawback (Hotblooded pilots must use it for attacking, support pilots must use it for some noncombat action etc)

>noncombat

I dont remember too many "noncombat" mecha in the gundam franchises. You do have sniper units that could be consider support units.
>>
>>54810369
There are scouting units. Methus could power a hyper bazooka launcher for a Hyaku shiki. V2 could use it's wings of light to shield 2 units close to it.
>>
>>54810250
I've hit well over 8000 in a homebrew, and its still missing a LOT.
>>
>>54810580
You're going to need to cut that down, you're asking people to read a novel of rules
>>
>>54810600
Its only 17 pages, anon...
>>
>>54810738
That's a lot of pages for a home brew
>>
>>54810982
>a lot of pages
>for a home brew

Let me guess: you never wrote one, have you?
>>
>>54811111
Nice digits
>>
File: 1382057429503.jpg (54KB, 347x400px) Image search: [Google]
1382057429503.jpg
54KB, 347x400px
>>54808159

Pick up some "First Grade" gundam models from hlj.com they are reasonable cheap. I got mine cheaper than I could find any of the SoG stuff at the time. You do have to paint, and usually glue them, but for the average gamer that is not an issue.
>>
>>54808938

Then do the same glancing at with her hoards of shoes.
>>
>>54808306
Honestly, the game is fine. It's got a simple and fun engine, and the wizard variety is really nice, if that's your thing. However it has some really glaring balance issues and it just got way more popularity than it deserved. But outside of that, it's a fine game if you campaign with some cool guys that are more interested in the narrative than min-maxing your wizards and not do the tried and true method of beating your opponent's face every match.

I'll stick with song of blades and heroes. It's a simple and exciting little system. Not super balanced either, but it doesn't pretend to be. I like how I can create the stats to match the minis, and not the other way around. Also I like the freedom you have when creating your team. As in it does not NEED to be a wizard and apprentice leading a bunch of mooks.

But I really don't mind others having a discussion about it, especially here. I just skip the posts. I guess it just triggers some people.
>>
>>54810541
>There are scouting units. Methus could power a hyper bazooka launcher for a Hyaku shiki. V2 could use it's wings of light to shield 2 units close to it.

But those are still combat units, even the balls are combat units.
>>
>>54811355
do not fucking touch first grade. Stick to HGUCs
>>
HGUC is a good way to get cheap high quality units, but for the cannon fodder it is not bad to have mildly lower quality first grade units, especially when you can get them for about $3 each.
>>
File: Zgmf-lrr704b.jpg (28KB, 282x400px) Image search: [Google]
Zgmf-lrr704b.jpg
28KB, 282x400px
>>54811507
Stop being retarded. There are multiple on screen appearances of support MS. While the majority of MS are focused on combat that doesn't mean they all are. It's also a method of docking so a G Defensor near a MK2 can form a Super Gundam. Support fliers got made in the HGUC line, the Gundam X has the G Falcon, the Frosts can work together to make a sat cannon platform. MS can piggy back ride like Char does on the Zeta.

Your autism is getting in the way of a fun game system
>>
>>54808306
Two kinds of people discuss frostgrave:

People who like /awg/s and have fun with them for what they are

And competitive shitlords who will cry that frostgrave isn't mordheim2.0

A lot of people fall into the second category and endlessly bitch and moan that their mooks don't collect xp and they throw feces if you suggest using gold to buy higher tier mooks and keep the name (ie level up your guys with money)

The next most common complaint is the blatant imbalance in spell power and how the game devolves to teleporting people and treasure around while avoiding combat
>>
>>54811966
>The group I belong to is good and fun
>The group I don't belong to are cry baby shitlords who ruin everything

Uh huh, tell us more about how Frostgrave isn't poorly designed, but it's actually people who want a balanced game who are in the wrong
>>
>>54811815
This. Plus gattai is justice.
>>
>>54812211
^ is a good example of who

>>54811966

was talking about.
>>
>>54811966
Holy strawman Batman.
>>
>>54812261
I have no investment in Frostgrave actually. I've never played it and I don't think I will in the future. My comment was simply that he labels any one who is competitive and wants a balanced game is a cry baby.

I don't know about you but if a game is clearly imbalanced and you're a competitive player who can't just house rule it then it's a legit problem.

This is /v/ tier stupidity and I was simply calling it out.
>>
>>54812338
Go play Warmahordes if you want balanced competitive play which is cancer to wargames imo.
>>
>>54812338
>Book gives you a ton of options and excuses to throw cool miniatures around the table in a generic fantasy wizard bash.
>I CAN'T USE THIS FOR TOURNEY PLAY, IT'S SHIT.

Perhaps try Magic the Gathering.
>>
>>54812365
Funny because you're cancer to wargaming so imo you should neck yourself.

>Warmahordes
>Balanced

I played in MK1 and MK2, balanced is not what I would call that game.

>>54812381
>Tons of options if you just want generic soldier man 1, heavy soldier man 2 and bow soldier man 3
>>
>>54811966
Way to completely misrepresent what eveeryone else was saying. Mordheim wasn't balanced, but it had flavor and was actually pretty focused and fun. Frostgrave doesn't have half the options that made Mordheim interesting. For one thing there is no injury tracking for mooks at all, so they may as well just be meat rather than people. Rather than taking advantage of more consistent play to make a balanced game at least, they proceeded not to give a shit and designed a game where most of the spells (In a game about wizards) are useless.

In the end you are better off sticking to Mordheim/Wyrdwars, or just playing the campaign system in just about any other skirmish game. You will have not only a better actual system for battles, but a more thorough campaign system. A Song of Deeds & Glory is actually pretty cool and unparalleled when it comes to your dudes options, though I have a sweet spot for SAGA Age of the Wolf and Malifaux Shifting Loyalties.
>>
File: DS9_Crusty_Town_1.jpg (103KB, 650x365px) Image search: [Google]
DS9_Crusty_Town_1.jpg
103KB, 650x365px
>>54812400
Not that anon, but Warmahordes is waac cancer.
>>
>>54808306
Some people just ignore balancing issues frostgrave has and try to have fun with it and others will never stop telling you how bad it is. I guess it's just this 4chan or /v/ thing to take an enormous shit on something because it is not perfect.
Or in other words: It's 'muh fun' vs 'muh balance', both are probably right, but neither will give in and it leads to constant shit flinging and a ruined thread.
>>
File: tictactoe tryhard.png (21KB, 480x678px) Image search: [Google]
tictactoe tryhard.png
21KB, 480x678px
>>54812566
If there is anything wrong with Warmahordes it is the community. The game itself is hardly different from any other game with a similar design philosophy (It even has tons of scenarios and different formats for non tournament styled games). In the end a game isn't cancer just because the designers actually care about creating a tight ruleset.
>>
>>54811355
There is no reason to drop below HG for your basic 1/144 gunpla, AG and FG are trash and HG is sturdy enough while being infinitely more useful.

>>54811613
>$3 each
well, almost no reason
>>
>>54812753
And part of the community attitude is fueled by BS written right in the book, encouraging their behavior.
>>
I'm currently printing out a large number of miniatures of various themes and styles
any good rulesets besides Pocket Tactics and OpenTactics that any character can be implemented into and works with hex tiles?

something that will allow me to create an army of mushroom people that will function differently from an army of wizards or an army of tanks
>>
>>54810600
My 350 page novel is over 200,000 words. 8000 is not that much. Consider how big some rulebook are.
>>
>>54807739
Dropfleet Commander abstracts altitude in space to "high orbit", "low orbit" and "upper atmosphere", if I were doing a space wargame with 0G mecha I'd probably adapt that.

High, Mid and Low approach relative to the plane of engagement, with units suffering a To Hit penalty for each height band difference. Switching height bands is done as part of a move and can be done to avoid terrain or hide (e.g. advance at low altitude so incoming overwatch fire suffers penalties and pop up to attack at the last moment)

I'd have very harsh range bands on guns too, because in these sorts of shows once the enemy is close your heavy weapons are way too cumbersome. Maybe long rifles/bazookas just can't overwatch at under half range.
>>
File: 20170811_014506.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170811_014506.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Finishing up the dark souls board game
>>
>>54815116
Pretty sweet my dude.

OK, all this mech talk has made me start thinking about my own take on 0G mecha.

Provisional Name: Silent Voices

d10 based system, haven't nailed down turn sequence yet but what I have is:

Stats - keep it simple. Shoot, Melee, Dodge, Armour, Health.

A model can overwatch if they're attacked or within 15cm of someone being attacked, but if you're not the target of the attack you're at a penalty to hit (you're more suppressing the enemy than taking your attention away from the wider battle to focus someone down).

Combat resolution is d10+Shoot vs d10+Evade. This is where things get interesting.

The active player chooses when in their movement they are going to fire, then the defender chooses when they return fire. Players place tokens on the board to show these locations and measure ranges to and from them.

The shot fired closest to the moving figure's start point resolves first.

Example:

A declares move + shoot. A has a close range gun and so shoots at the end of its move.

B declares it will fire before A has finished moving. B's Overwatch will resolve, and if A survives, A's shot will resolve.

Why is this important? Well, A may be able to use cover to move so that B can't overwatch until A is in a sub optimal range band for B's gun. Or B may take a chance, hold its overwatch until A finishes moving and be in a better position to fire if it survives. Some weapons will be only able to overwatch in specific range bands.

If the players declare a simultaneous exchange of fire (both shots fired from the same place) the mech with the higher Shoot skill fires first.

TL:DR version: the game has Infinity style AROs but rather than one BS v BS roll it's two BS vs Dodge rolls, with the players controlling the order they resolve based on movement.

This might end up being way too fiddly in practice but the idea is probably 3-6 figures a side on a small table with lots of "scenery" (asteroids, debris, etc)
>>
>>54812753
Other than white knighting bullshit I haven't found any real problems with the warmachine community. My biggest issue all told is that when my (ex) group were looking for a new place to play it turned into a shit storm. We couldn't find a community center or church hall because the town I played in was 25% non-white, all the old community centers were mosques or taken over by mud people. When I pointed this out (and in polite language) all they could do was scream how racist it was to say each street was now basically a different country in that part of town. Instakicked/banned and was later invited back but refused for obvious reasons.

>>54813080
HGUC GMs are like $5 each.

>>54813100
Yea man, how dare you give people a hit at how the game plays with a little flavour. We need sterile rulesets where only the most autistic emotionless people are allowed to write them. Page 5 was GW's 80's fun style of writing. It was a very subtle hint of telling the player "This is an aggressive game, damage is high, defense is low, get stuck in and kill things". Sorry you can't handle some masculinity, maybe you need to go play The Sims or Barbie's fashion designer.

>>54815116
Nice. I'm working on building a display base for the Titanite demon. Then it's time to do OSL lava on it. Should be... fun.
>>
>>54799988
>I like the idea of AP generation being a balancing factor.
Wait, maybe I misunderstood. That seems like more of an internal activation structure issue than a turn order issue. Can the units share AP between them? Like, can the melee unit give some of his AP to the sniper?
>>
>>54817359
Originally AP was going to be a pool you used how you wanted but I thought that was too abusable. I may make a unit that can forfeit it's action to reactivate another unit if I can find a suitable MS
>>
>>54813100
>And part of the community attitude is fueled by BS written right in the book
Didn't they stop putting Page 5 in the rule book years ago?
>>
>>54812365
>>54812400
>>54812566
>>54812753
Personally, the only shitty warmachine community I've ever encountered is online. At RL stores and tourneys, the community seems to be pretty chill in general. Mostly older dudes (Lot of ex-40K players), whose take the game seriously but never forget that it's a game. I'm sure there's a few bad apples floating around, but they'd be there regardless of ruleset.

Personally, I really like that Warmachine establishes the expectations for playes in clear language. A lot of these type of conflicts happen because different players come to games with sets of expectations that don't line up. Making the goal clear from the outset helps that. You say your goal is a tightly-written ruleset for competitive settings, great. There's a time and a place for that, just like there's a time and a place for beer and pretzels, hyper-specific mecha simulations, historical reenactments, etc.

I've always been a hobbyist and beer-and-pretzels guy first, myself, but my experience with WMH was very positive. It doesn't feel right to call it WAAC... that implies a certain level of psychopathy and/or beardiness. Most of the good players I met did a really solid job of being hyper-competitive within the framework of the game, but also very sportsmanlike and hardline on playing the rules correctly. I got my teeth kicked in a hell of a lot of times on the table, but it was almost always something I could trace back to a mistake I made, to something I could try to avoid next time. It's the same sort of rush I get from hammering away at my Go game until I jump up a rank on the servers. I enjoy that, sometimes, and it's not an itch that /awg scratches. By the same token, there's a hobbyist itch and an armchair designer itch that warmachine does nothing for.
>>
I know this isn't specifically a request thread, but on the topic of mecha wargames, does anybody have a pdf for the CAV Strike Operations rulebook? Not the quickstart one, the full rulebook. Thanks in advance.
>>
>>54817406
>Originally AP was going to be a pool you used how you wanted but I thought that was too abusable. I may make a unit that can forfeit it's action to reactivate another unit if I can find a suitable MS
Gotcha. Per my reading it really is just straight-up alternate activation now, right? IgoUgo, but one dude at a time.
>>
>>54817645
Yea. I prefer a more traditional set up but I think for this game IgoUgo is the better mechanic. It's working with so few models that it won't draw turns out.

>>54817585
Yea they dropped Page 5 because muh sensitivity bullshit. Basically the original guys left and their positions were handed to butt boys and groupies who wanted to tone it all down to be "more inclusive and acceptable to the normies"

>>54817603
That sounds about right to me. People are competitive within the game but don't try to abuse it in the majority of cases. I found much worse people in Magic
>>
>>54817752
>Basically the original guys left and their positions were handed to butt boys and groupies who wanted to tone it all down to be "more inclusive and acceptable to the normies"

And that, in a sentence, is why Warmahordes has the reputation it has.
>>
>>54817752
>I prefer a more traditional set up but I think for this game IgoUgo is the better mechanic.

Is "traditional" Alt-Activation here, where you activate one man then they activate one man, until no mans left?
And Is "IGOUGO" "I activate all my mans, and then you activate all your mans"?
If so, why would you think IGOUGO is better?Are you operating under the assumption that the only thing IGOUGO has an effect on is simple "time spent waiting"?
>>
>>54817585
>And part of the community attitude is fueled by BS written right in the book
>Didn't they stop putting Page 5 in the rule book years ago?
They did, but even when it was in the book, you have to keep in mind the context. When warmachine came out (around 03 or 04, IIRC), 40K was completely dominant in the scene... you were basically playing 40K, or you were one of those two oldbeards in the back doing an exacting recreation of Crecy. And 40K was a shitshow... it was hyper competitive, but the rules were a big pile of garbage, power creep was constant, and every other day it seemed like GW would hike their prices and/or lower their quality. They were turning out army books nonstop, and each one seemed more broken than the last. Rules Lawyering and Cheese ruled the day.

In that environment, Page 5 came across like a letter written directly to the frustrated player base. It said "Hey gang, here's a ruleset you can play competitively, and it will actually hold up, because we actually tested it. This game is by players, for players. It's designed for people who want an actual game, and to shut down that guy poring over the rulebook for any little loophole he can exploit."

It broke the spell. Suddenly, 40K had real competition. And in the years that immediately followed, it opened up the floodgates to other small startups. Fastforward ten years, you've got more minis games than you can shake a stick at.

So, yes, Page 5 came out of more recent editions, because it wasn't needed anymore. My point is, it was never a WAAC thing to begin with, it was specifically telling that crowd to fuck off. It was "Win at all costs, within the framework of the rules, and also be a good sport." That's something entirely different.
>>
>>54817810
As in I take my entire turn then you take yours.

>>54817802
Of course it does. Saying the company got filled full of ass kissers and groupies is totally why it has the reputation it does in your circles where you're opposed to balanced games.
>>
>>54817993
>As in I take my entire turn then you take yours.
Ok, standard IGOUGO, cool.

Why do you think this is better here than "I activate one man, then you activate one man, and so on"?

You say because "It's working with so few models that it won't draw turns out." but that doesn't seem like support for it - AA can easily use the same thing (low model count) as support, noting that with so few models it'll be easy to remember which ones you've activated that turn, mitigating its primary problem: tracking who has already activated.

And then you have the standard AA benefit of it giving you more action granularity, permitting more tactical options and abilities to react - so the enemy can't just move forward with all 3-6 MS and blow yours out of the water before you can even react, or other such things.
>>
Guy who asked about monstergirls last thread; Still in R&D, but I have almost all of the tools I need to get started sculpting (just need to pick up armature wire today), and I got to see a little bit of Infinity and Malifaux yesterday at my FLGS (not much; it was 40k night).

I plan on perusing the rules for both soon, since they're apparently all free (thanks GW), but I've noticed that the minis for both games are substantially slimmer than the chunky Warhammer models. What scale are they, exactly? Do they generally come as one piece, or are they kits that you build? I like the idea of building a team of kickass custom waifus, but I don't know if the additional complexity is worth it yet.
>>
>>54817603
I have to say the same. By issue with Warmahorde's community I meant that they are the reason why the game is so competetive, as that is how they like to play, which is apparently an issue for Tha anon. They are all pretty polite otherwise, and aren't really too different from your standard miniatures wargamer.
>>
>>54819404
Infinity miniatures are 28mm, while Malifaux miniatures are 32mm. Both are more true scale while 40k has chunky proportions in order to match up with older metal models. Infinity models don't come in many pieces and are metal, while Malifaux miniatures are plastic and come with lots of pieces. The latter would probably be better for conversion.
>>
>>54810250
Currently overhauling the combat system. It has a lot in common with SoBaH, but with a weapon system and a different combat system and some other stuff like overwatch and buyable weapons and shit. Might add a unit creation system as well before I publish it, however I end up doing that
>>
>>54812338
>I don't know about you but if a game is clearly imbalanced and you're a competitive player who can't just house rule it then it's a legit problem.
It's not really. You could just play a game that carters to your preferences.

Comparing Mordheim and Frostgrave is retarded anyway since the two games do two completely different things.
The only reason people compare them to each other was because people wanted GW to keep Mordheim alive and were hoping to find a substitute in Frostgrave.
And then people are personally offended if the game does not conform to the ideas they formed in their heads, before it was even released.

All the anger towards Frostgrave is just baggage of people that can't deal with the fact that Frostgrave does it's own thing.

And that's so stupid I don't have any sympathy for people trying to defend their 'criticisms', cause they are not even taking into account what the game actually is.
You can't criticize a game for not doing something it was never meant do that. That's ridiculous.

Like this
>>54812522
>Frostgrave doesn't have half the options that made Mordheim interesting. For one thing there is no injury tracking for mooks at all
Frostgrave now has shitloads of different soldiers to chose from and some additional magic schools with all the expansions. There are loads of options. So many in fact that I think it would be very difficult to play a campaign using all the books at once.
And the injury tracking of mooks is just something another game did, there is no fucking reason at all to assume that every single skirmish game ever should do it.
In fact this kind of criticism is something I only ever see when people talk about Frostgrave and I assume it's because of the superficial similarities like being set in a ruined city where people hunt for treasure. But aside from the bare bones of the setting looking vaguely similar the games don't have much in common.
>>
>>54819404
Have you sculpted before?
>>
>>54819404
>I need to get started sculpting
Unless you're a grade A sculptor, you should probably spend some extra time looking for kits to kitbash
>>
>>54820565
Literal Reddit spacing, I have never seen it to this degree before and always laughed off the meme.

>Frostgrave's target market is the warband skirmish market
>These people don't like what Frostgrave is doing so they're whiney piss baby MRA gamergaters who are no fun allowed try hards

Yea, we get it. Fuck off.
>>
>>54820565
>You can't criticize a game for not doing something it was never meant do that. That's ridiculous.
That's fucking bullshit, I hope you're aware.
>>
>>54820687
>>54820750
Yeah you criticize the game for not being Mordheim.
That you don't see how stupid that is, when you could just play fucking Mordheim should be obvious.
>>
>>54820793
No we fucking aren't. Don't put words into my mouth I did not say.

As the anon who first mentioned that Frostgrave causes shitstorms - thanks, you fucking did it.
>>
>>54820624
>Unless you're a grade A sculptor, you should probably spend some extra time looking for kits to kitbash
Only way you become a good sculptor is with a lot of practice. Try to get rid of those crutches, if you can.
>>
>>54820793
>You can't say that pong is too basic because it's also a video game and it was never intended to be Zork

>>54820820
It seems like we just have 1 faggot who white knights the shit out of it and attacked any system remotely competitive or balanced. His posting style is obvious so we should just laugh at him for being such a pathetic beta that he has to use poor game balance as a skirt to hide behind
>>
>>54820820
My post was basically 'take frostgrave for what it is and don't compare it to another game it has nothing do do with'
If you like the other game you can just play that.

What I don't get is why people get so angry about it. No other game get people this emotional.
>>
>>54820904
>What I don't get is why people get so angry about it.
>call those who don't like it WAAC faggots
Well gee, I don't know it either.
>>
Christ lads, let's park this one.

Frostgrave is the most popular (only?) Wizard and Warband skirmish game of our times, no matter what you think about the rules, or in comparison to other fantasy skirmish games. I'm not a massive fan but I can't see the skub both ways.
>>
>>54820936
This. No one said that it has to be a tourney game. Frostgrave just needs to be less half assed.
>>
>>54820936
Then you are confusing me with somebody else. I never said that.
But the game clearly have two different approaches to campaign play and neither is really all that great for random pickup games. So the criticisms leveled against one for it's imbalance are just as valid against the other.
>>
>>54820963
Warmahordes is actually the most popular wizard and warband skirmish game of our times.
>>
Ok that's it.
I'm going to make my own wizard and warband game
And it's going to be the most nonexistent thing you nerds will ever see.
>>
>>54820963
No, fuck off, it's shit and people who play it are scum.
>>
Basically this autist is pissed because /tg/ hyped it up as Mordheim 2.0 before it was released and then got Beer and Pretzel Wizard Fights instead.
>>
Is "beer and pretzels" the PC way to say "imbalanced and thrown together"
>>
I propose that since Frostgrave is "The biggest wizards and warband game" out there that it no longer belongs in /awg/. If by this autists account is that big then it must be bigger than AoS and Warmachine. As such it cannot be considered an alternative game
>>
>>54821442
Too true. The game doesn't even do the supposed focus of the game well. Inb4 Oberoni fallacy.
>>
>>54821442
Fucking SJW shit.
>>
>>54821454
This. Let's get the mods to ban Frostgrave from anything but it's own threads.
>>
File: Happy irishman.jpg (18KB, 337x253px) Image search: [Google]
Happy irishman.jpg
18KB, 337x253px
>/awg/ is having a feldgrau moment

Glad to see the general has really arrived.
>>
>>54821713

I made a Frostgrave general. Frostgrave faggots can go to >>54821607 instead.
>>
>>54821763
Oh fuck I remember the Irishman thread. It was fucking glorious.
>>
>>54821700
Well, I think we've officially established that:
1) The rails exist, and
2) We have gone off them
>>
>>54821934
>WAAAAAAAAH WHY ARE THEY BULLYING ME ABOUT MY SHITTY MORDHEIM CLONE?! MODS MODS BAN THESE SHITLORDS THEY'RE MAKING MY VAGINA HURT!
>>
>>54821954

Christ, I can't imagine even pretending to be this much of a wazzock.

Are you recovering from a long-term brain injury?
>>
>>54821996
No, a short-term one
Somebody hit him on the head with a frostgrave book. It scarred him.
>>
>>54821996
>>54822034
Oh yeah, because the only reason someone couldn't like that pile of shit scribbled in an afternoon is because they're brain damaged.
>>
Fr******ve is trash
>>
>>54822081
No, but your autistic spasm indicates some massive head trauma
>>
>>54822301
You have a general, go there
>>
>>54822523
You have a family, stop being an embarrassment.
>>
>>54821913
>>54822678

>this "person"

Please go back to /40k/
>>
>>54822798
Please fuck off
>>
Pro tip to either side, this is an anonymous forum, a great advantage of which is that you can just walk away without any loss of face.

I strongly encourage either side to follow this advice as the fastest way to settle this.
>>
>>54823192
People bringing up and supporting Fr******ve here are deliberately going against the purpose of the thread
>>
File: Frostgrave-Cultists-Group-2.jpg (406KB, 2048x804px) Image search: [Google]
Frostgrave-Cultists-Group-2.jpg
406KB, 2048x804px
>>54823259

Take a chill pill, nobody else is acting childish about different types of plastic men.
>>
>>54823259
>here are deliberately going against the purpose of the thread
>>54773625
>>Examples of games that qualify
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_miniature_wargames
>Grimdark Future, Age of Fantasy, Mighty Armies, Dragon Rampant, Of Gods and Mortals, Frostgrave, Hordes of the Things, Songs of Blades and Heroes, Freebooter's Fate, Dark Age, LotR and anything that doesn't necessarily have a dedicated thread (gorkamundheim).
>>
>>54823348
Frostgrave has its own general and thus does not belong here
>>54823316
Nicw argument mate
>>
File: autism_is_my_super_power_tshirt.jpg (14KB, 250x300px) Image search: [Google]
autism_is_my_super_power_tshirt.jpg
14KB, 250x300px
>>54823259
>>54822523
>>54822281
>>54821913
>>
>>54823391
Nice argument mate
>>
>>54823316
Those are some nice looking cultists. I have a sprue plus a few extra arms in my stash, but don't know what I should do with them yet.
>>
Is it true that you need to be a literal gibbon to play Frostgrave? Because literally everyone I've ever seen talk about it in a positive light is a literal gibbon, so I'm assuming it's a requirement. Is it enforced?
>>
>>54823427

I found the sexiest plog ever earlier, a guy using Frostgrave, Gripping Beast and Perry plastics for A Song of Ice and Fire skirmishes.

http://www.lead-adventure.de/index.php?topic=62778.0
>>
>>54823454
Theoretical gibbons are welcomed as well.
>>
>>54823427
If you got some of the other Frostgrave plastics you could enter the Triple Sprue Challenge. You have to build a Wizard, Apprentice and Captain to enter.
The prices are the Ghost Archipelago rulebook and some plasic crewmen.
>>
>>54823515
Only the adventurers.
>>
The birth of Fr******ve:
"Guys lets make a 'beer and pretzels' game (code for imbalanced pos) and make it so you can only play in a highly specific setting covered in snow so everything looks the same. Also for some reason only wizards can gain exp"
"Sounds good mate"
Was it autism?
>>
File: GoT.jpg (152KB, 1000x635px) Image search: [Google]
GoT.jpg
152KB, 1000x635px
>>54823495
I've seen this posted over on /wip/, these guys got features in Wargames Soldiers and Strategy.
>>
>>54823495
>>54823663
What about the Wizard?
>>
File: GoT2.jpg (303KB, 1000x791px) Image search: [Google]
GoT2.jpg
303KB, 1000x791px
>>54823703
Its Game of Thrones, not Frostgrave.
>>
>>54823774
Ah, shit. I misunderstood.
Is he actually using any rules or is it just making minis right now?
>>
File: 33.jpg (401KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
33.jpg
401KB, 1600x900px
>>54823638

Are you roleplaying at this point or genuinely unhinged?

It's far from a perfect game, then again so are SoBaH and Open Combat, doesn't mean it can't be an entertaining hour for two consenting adults.

>>54823703

IIRC the guy uses SAGA rules. Never looked into it myself but I might get a few cheap sprues of Anglo-Saxons for a go.
>>
>>54823454
Story time.

>Go to new gamestore
>Fat baldy man with 2 kids there
>Seems bland but eh whatever
>Turns out he's a single father
>Facebook group explodes when he goes missing for a week
>He just vanishes off the face of the planet
>Every one thinks he's suicided
>Comes back
>Is then featured in some national TV documentary on being a single dad
>It's utterly fake and nothing but whining and self pity while saying "I am a stronk independent man"
>He plays 2 games at the store
>AoS, where he will attack any one suggesting using the generals handbook to balance a game
>Frostgrave
>Pushed Frostgrave super hard
>No one gave a fuck so he went into a huff and said everyone were try hards who didn't know how to have fun
>Everyone else continued playing 40k and malifaux ignoring his huffing

His son is going to be such a beta he'll be on Tinder looking for 1 night stands with a strap on
>>
>>54823850
SoBaH is simple as fuck and easy to learn so its expected to not be the most in depth game ever
Frostgrave is clunky and long as fuck and not worth the time to read let alone the money to pay for it
>>
the fuck, I let you guys a day alone and you have autistic fights about frostgrave now. Why.
>>
>>54824881
Who the fuck even are you? We're allowed to talk about whatever we want, faggot. We don't need to answer to you
>>
we're 300+
alas.
>>
>>54825939
It's for the best. The fast this purges the Frostgrave bitching, the better it will be for the rest of us.
>>
>>54812522
Mooks can die though, which is more realistic, what self respecting wizard would continue to pay a gimped mook instead of just firing him
>>
Why is frostgrave so skub?

Why is /tg/ so autistic they can't have fun with frostgrave?

It literally boils down to "waaah the spells are imbalanced if I game the system" and "waaah there's only xp on wizards"
>>
>>54826217
Yes, and for the short time I had a regular group of Frostgrave players at my lgs, most of us gave our mooks names, just to fluff things up a bit.
Like one dude(we'll call him Chuck) had an archer named Mason. And Mason was the absolute scourge of another player(we'll call him Mike). Whenever they played together(and we liked to run 3 to 4-player scenarios for more fun) Mike could ignore virtually everything else on the table, even other wizards out of position, just to hone in on little Mason. Yet, somehow the dice gods were on Mason's side. Even if Mason got taken out of the game, he'd always survive with nary a scratch in the post-game wound results. It was uncanny.
>>
>>54826250
>muh beer and pretzels
The game is pure jank
Thread posts: 328
Thread images: 56

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.