[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How powerful would Progenitus be if I transported him to DnD?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: Progenitus.jpg (32KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Progenitus.jpg
32KB, 223x310px
How powerful would Progenitus be if I transported him to DnD?
>>
on tier with Tarrasque
>>
Looks similar to tiamat whenever she gets pissed off and puts an avatar somewhere
>>
>>54771144
First, we have to define what "10/10" translates to in D&D terms. Is it his rough CR? Does it define his hit dice? What type is he? What base stats does he have? What size is he? Etc.

Second, and much more importantly, what exactly does "Protection from everything" mean in D&D terms? Just insane SR/DR/energy resistance/immunities? Or is it something far more involved and complex than that?

When you answer these questions you will find the answer to yours.
>>
>>54771156
Progenitus is immune to physical/elements/magic.
>>
>>54771144
Progenitus is essentially a god with those stats. In other words, Progenitus shouldn't get a stat block at all.
>>
File: Progenitus-MtG-Art[1].jpg (623KB, 3307x1957px) Image search: [Google]
Progenitus-MtG-Art[1].jpg
623KB, 3307x1957px
>>54771198
A bear is a 2/2.
A giant is a 3/3.
A fully-grown dragon tends to be a 4/4 and a 5/5.
Power and toughness in Magic tends to be a combination of raw size and combat prowess (i.e. - trained soldiers/mages have higher stats than they'd normally have).
That said, the original art is better at showing the scale of this fucker.
>>
File: brogenitus.jpg (96KB, 526x709px) Image search: [Google]
brogenitus.jpg
96KB, 526x709px
>>54771144
Do you mean BROGENITUS?
>>
>>54772166
in lore terms power and toughness is logarithmic and mostly relative but for the sake of gameplay its linear.
What this means is that you get stuff like "15 squirrels can kill emrakul" and "a trained soldier and a midget with a knife always kill eachother in battle".
>>
>>54771198
In D&D, I'd reckon "protection from everything" would be rendered, "Progenitus can't take damage and can't fail saving throws." Both are abilities that sound initially ironclad, but leave similarly small gaps that can be worked with; though the card effects that work with the card Progenitus are different than the ones that work with the D&D monster.

Progenitus' second ability would probably be some sort of reincarnation ability that slaps it down at a random point within 1000 miles on the same plane or something. I don't know for sure.
>>
>>54773961
>tfw your party has to wrangle an engulfing slagwurm to deal with him
That's an adventure in itself, those things are big.
>>
In my MTG campaign i used this formula

Power + 50% toughness +1 per ability (flying, trample, first strike, hexproof/shroud count as 2) = CR for CMC 4+
divided by 2 for less than 4 cmc

at least what i used. It's rough ofc and just a guideline.
shivan dragon would be 11 CR

Sphinx of Steel Wind was 17 CR
White Knight would be 3 CR
Vampire Nighthawk would be 5 CR
Goblin Piledriver would be 2 CR

btw Jace was the final boss.
>>
>>54771144
In mtg how do you even kill this thing?
>>
>>54775264
non target exile, pop it back to the hand, sacrifice, or just counter it before it hits the field.
>>
>>54775264
Generally by using various forms of nontargetted removal. 'Destroy all creatures' works perfectly fine to get rid of him - protection works against targetting, damage, enchanting/equiping, and blocking, and the second ability is less a benefit and more a way to prevent it from being reanimated to cheat it out.
And generally, if it comes out, it's going to be cheated out some way, and hitting a board wipe or even mass bounce means they have to redo whatever they used to cheat it out the first time, which if it was an instant or sorcery they may not be able to, and if it was something like elvish piper they'll have to get that out again as well. It pretty much will never be played for its mana cost - it's too expensive and too unwieldy for that..
Counterspells also work wonders, since protection only applies when it's on the battlefield.
>>
>>54772166
>>54771144
At a guess for 5E, I'd say you're looking at a CR30, on par with Tiamat.

That said, the scale would out-grow 5E because that thing is definitely bigger than Colossal, so it'd have to be some sort of Colossal+ with special rules. Just being near it might count as difficult terrain, to emphasise that you're running around on its actual body.
>>
>>54771612
Progenitus is far stronger than any deity in the MtG multiverse, other than the old generation of Planeswalkers
>>
>>54773961
It would also mean that you can't cast any spells on it.
>>
File: tiamat.png (953KB, 1377x918px) Image search: [Google]
tiamat.png
953KB, 1377x918px
>>54771144
>Manyheaded multicolor deity with a scaly appearence
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.