[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there any way to play Ace Attorney as an RPG?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

Is there any way to play Ace Attorney as an RPG?
>>
Memorize the rulebook Call people out on getting the rules wrong.
>>
That's moving away from tabletop games and more into murder mystery dinner territory
>>
>>54770124
Sounds good to me, how do I get it going?
>>
>>54770166
go to law school
>>
>>54770166
Find a good LARP system for it, post ads, rent space from your FLGS.

Or just use Gumshoe for the RPG
>>
>>54770074
I think over on /vg/ there is an Ace Attorney general where they do some roleplay. They have an elaborate rule set and custom software too.
>>
>>54770074
>>54770322
This desu
>>
>>54770322
>>54770382
Except the game has nothing to do with actual law. The try-everything-on-everything-until-some-combination-works approach you use to progress is much closer to engineering.
>>
>>54770462
So got to engineering school then. Isn't the point of rping to act out things in unrealistic settings and situations?
>>
>>54770494
If you think laptop crammed into photocopier and getting stuck in there because "we needed that graph on paper and I didn't know I can print web page like I can print Word" is unrealistic, life has been way too kind on you.
>>
>>54770574
I dont get it, try punctuating better, that whole post was hard to follow.
>>
>>54770462
I don't think engineering is the best way to describe it. You basically just play detective in the middle of the courtroom.
>>
I thought about it, but figured it would need a shitton of prep. Especially since your options regarding interaction are not limited in a ttrpg. Make sure to NOT let persuasion or empathy be stats, roleplay it.
>>
>>54770782
>I thought about it, but figured it would need a shitton of prep
Maybe not. You establish a crime, maybe do a little of the investigative legwork, and then when the actual trial comes the focus can shift between materializing evidence to support your claims (since Ace Attorney sure doesn't shy away from pulling bullshit evidence out of thin air when it needs to) and trying to poke a hole in the other player(s) testimonies. Essentially, it becomes one of those types of "everyone contributes to the story" games, where whoever is the speaker (defense or prosecution) can spin the narrative in their favor until they are slammed with an OBJECTION.Then it becomes a matter of using any evidence on hand or poking holes in the story.
>>
>>54770074
http://thealexandrian.net/wordpress/15151/roleplaying-games/game-structures-part-5-mysteries
http://thealexandrian.net/wordpress/1118/roleplaying-games/three-clue-rule

http://thealexandrian.net/wordpress/7949/roleplaying-games/node-based-scenario-design-part-1-the-plotted-approach

http://thealexandrian.net/wordpress/37903/roleplaying-games/5-node-mystery
>>
>>54770747
That's actually how the Japanese legal system works. Advocates must not only exonerate their client, but also be able to identify the real perpetrator. Why do you think their crime rates are so low? Any crime without a clear perp is pinned on the suspect the police haul in.
The best defence attorney in Tokyo has a clearance rate of about 3%. And he's famous for it.
>>
>>54772372
Oh I'm aware. They even loosely based the plot of Ace Attorney 4 on that, though I'm pretty sure everything about that game has been essentially swept under the rug.
I still say treating it as a murder mystery train/dinner (only in a courtroom obviously) sort of deal with minor script details to start with would be more faithful to the source material than any sort of RPG could really be, since there isn't much in the games that I can think of that should really be delegated to a dice roll
>>
>>54770074

I'm actually working on a card game called OBJECTION! It's sorta like story war in its construction. Basically: it's played with three people. A Judge, a Prosecutor and a Defense Attorney. The game is played with 3 different types of cards: Case Cards, Evidence Cards and Witness Cards.

The Judge draws 3 case cards, the Prosecutor Draws 3 Evidence cards and the Defense Attorney Draws 3 Witness Cards.

The case card describes who was murdered, where the body was found, how they seemed to have died and when they died. Evidence cards are objects that're straightforward enough. And Witness cards are just people.

The first round is the Prosecutor has to explain to the judge how the Witness the Defense Attorney put forth is the killer, with his chosen evidence as the "proof". From there the case goes into a 3 day cycle where the Prosecutor has to maintain that the Defendend is the murderer while the Defense has to argue that they're not. Evidence cards and Witness cards can additionally be 'flipped' so that traits previously hidden can be revealed.

A normally stupid person can be revealed to actually be a genius in hiding. A gun can be revealed to have been made of chocolate, etc, etc.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.