[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Magic Banned For General Use

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: crusader darkest dungeon paladin.jpg (241KB, 719x1111px) Image search: [Google]
crusader darkest dungeon paladin.jpg
241KB, 719x1111px
There always seems to be some sort of taboo on necromancy (for obvious reasons, sure; nobody wants Abusive Aunt Gertrude back) or summoning (less common, but when people keep calling up demons instead of angels or pixie-harlots, people make laws on it). Those, however, are pretty much stock rules.
And people think they're so edgy and progressive when they make 'good' necromancers, or 'but I'm forcing demons to work for good' Demonologists.
>Not everyone can be Solomon, brochacho, and even then he cocked it up by tapping pagan booty and making sacrifices to non-sanctioned deities

But has anyone had a setting where those laws weren't there? Or, perhaps, different laws? I know there's a kingdom across the mountains full of butthurt-paladins trying to put a ban on Illusion and Evocation magic
>(unless you're a sanctioned-Royal Agent)
and then there's those Praetors of Gorumic Science that say any sort of healing spell is illegal.
>"If the gods say it's your time, who are you to use medical herbs or Cure Disease/Severe Wounds to deny them?"
Even Abjuration is banned sometimes at athletic events.
>Using spells to increase your carrying capacity/"Do You Even Lift?"

So.... yeah. How's magic litigated in your neck of the woods. Because I'm considering moving from my neck of the woods (pic related) and I need a place with sane lawmakers.
>>
Absolutely no bans.
Medieval people were very pragmatic and really had little care for modernist inventions like prohibitions.
If someone did something unacceptable but was a boon to society, people just let it slide.
>>
The reason why necromancy and shit is considered bad is because most human societies have respect for the dead or consider it meddling with 'the way things are supposed to go'.
The only way you can have a setting that is opposed to that is by having a morality that is decidely non-human.
>>
>>54765031
>having a morality that is decidely non-human
>not taking your morality lessons from literal angels and proven clerical personnel of gods that can, and do, punch cities in the face with fireballs and/or god-fists

Wake me up when you take a level in Divine Justice.
>>
>>54765089
Name one setting that does this and where it's not a parody of fundamentalism.
>>
>>54764913
Anima loved this plot point. Everything was banned everywhere to the point of wizard genocide inquisition. Was a total buzzkill.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.