[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Numenera ability modifying

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: Untitled.jpg (16KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
16KB, 256x256px
Can someone help me understand the rule about ability modifying? It says "In some cases, it simply costs more points to use the ability in a new way. In other cases, more challenges are involved." but doesn't exactly make it clear what that means? When would it be necessary to roll? Picture related, it's the PC who made me wonder about this.
>>
>>54750812
When you're trying to use an ability in a new way, it can either cost more points from the pool to activate, or it might increase the difficulty of the test to use the ability etc.

Example, nano is trying to use Scan on an area larger than the skill normally supplies. The GM could rule that it costs 4 points of intellect instead of 2, or perhaps require an intellect check to properly activate it. It's mostly up to the GM to make the decision.
>>
>>54750812

I don't know how to help you but bump for Numenera. I've run it a few times and I love the concept of the growing new civilization in the ruins of post-singularity ancients, the Phantasy Star IV meets Eclipse Phase aspects, even if the execution needs work.
>>
>>54750812
it makes it fair to modify existing powers without having to have a COMPLETELY seperate power (cough cough pathfinder). >>54753405 describes it well enough. the cypher system in general has a lot of basic logic things that shouldn't be extrapolated, just played out.
>>
>>54757659
This said, cypher system thread? i've been planning an MtG campaign using the cards as a replacement for cyphers for some time now. i'd love to hear what others are up to.
>>
Isn't Nu-Men Era a cult where you have to give Monte Cooke all your money and shit?

I heard it was a cult.
>>
>>54760386
No, don't you know that Nu-Men-Era is actually just a scheme by Monte Cook so he can eat your penis? Haven't you been listening to the visionaries of /pol/?

>>54757727
Currently running a game of baseline Numenera, and then also a cypher game set in the Dishonored universe, with bone charms replacing cyphers and whalebone runes replacing artefacts. It's working out pretty well so far.
>>
Is the Jade Colossus book out yet? Is it any good?
>>
>>54760386
>Monte Cooke all your money and shit?
Nigga wat? I pirate all my shit.
>>
>>54753405
Yeah and that's a problem. I'm ok making judgment calls when it's something realistic, but when it comes to magic I have no clue.
>>
File: FoundationStones-Yanner.jpg (672KB, 3000x1688px) Image search: [Google]
FoundationStones-Yanner.jpg
672KB, 3000x1688px
>>54763142
Put it this way, if the change to the ability gives it a risk of failure - pushing the technology too far, drawing a dangerous amount of magic into the caster, whatever - then call for a roll to activate the ability. If the change to the ability has no risk of failure, but still changes it, then increase the activation cost. As said though, it's basically a GM call on whether to even allow it, so do whatever you want.
>>
>>54761723
>Currently running a game of baseline Numenera, and then also a cypher game set in the Dishonored universe, with bone charms replacing cyphers and whalebone runes replacing artefacts. It's working out pretty well so far.
That... actually sounds pretty cool. Do you have a set of rules I can steal?
>>
>>54763414
I've decided that increasing abilities effectiveness costs points while using it in an unorthodox way counts as a roll.
>>
File: Map.jpg (3MB, 1920x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Map.jpg
3MB, 1920x1440px
>>54763462
That's a good call!

>>54763435
Nothing really different on the rules, the only real difference is that I've replaced the "Finding cyphers" part with "Carving runes and charms", because one of my players wanted to make someone who works with the runes and artifacts, so instead of finding cyphers and identifying them on a level 2-ish roll, it just takes some time and a level 2 roll to make the bone charm.

In terms of the refluffing of the game to work with Dishonored, just selecting the foci from modern and getting rid of the ones that don't fit the setting does most of that. I also renamed the Warrior/Adept/Explorer/Speaker to Knife/Witch/Slick/Wordspinner, for that aesthetic effect.
>>
>>54763568
Yeah, but what rules do you have for the runes and charms? I doubt they will have the same effect as Crawler Tanks, Battle Suits, or mono whips.
>>
File: Untitled.png (22KB, 1915x262px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
22KB, 1915x262px
Ok, thanks for the help, /tg/. This is what I came up with. Thoughts?
>>
>>54763625
I mean, they obviously don't correspond well to the technological stuff in Numenera etc, but there is a section of Cypher where it discusses passive cyphers, which fits pretty well with the idea of the bone charms etc. Personally I'm just winging it on what they actually do, I just improv my cyphers and artifacts on the spot whenever the players asks if they can make something
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.