[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MTG modern general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 316
Thread images: 52

File: 46081.full.jpg (174KB, 480x680px) Image search: [Google]
46081.full.jpg
174KB, 480x680px
Mirrodin edition

>playing
>hating
>brewing

thread q

> in your opinion, what was the worst set/block and why
>>
>>54749102
Lorwyn, planeswalkers are retarded and unfun and have been shorhorned into every set since.
>>
>burn
>chalice on 1
>neheb for edh
Threat q
Theros for seemingly pushing minotaurs but having the shittiest support. Why couldn't I get a good fucking tribe?
Also fate reforged, just because it was forgettable imo
>>
>>54749344
And you know, Lorwyn was such a good set besides that. Really sucks ass how they ruined one of the last good blocks with their new card type.
>>
>>54749102
The KANGZ block has been pretty uninteresting save a few decent tier cards
I can't see anything ending up as a staple in the format
>>
>>54749102
>playing
That jeskai control list that top 8ed at syracuse

>hating
Not much actually

>Thread question
I really really hated bfz and ogw. Thoghtknot and smasher are cool and all but the top end of the set just felt so bland. Newzilek and sire of stagnation come to mind
>>
>playing
Affinity
>hating
Removal, counterspells, bounce spells
>thread q
Dragon's Maze was packed with shit cards nobody has ever or will ever play
>>
>>54749102
>playing
Ponza
>hating
Affinity
Counters Company
>brewing
Raspberry and echinacea tea
>>
Why does everyone hate planeswalkers so much? Is it just typical 4chan "contrarian opinions are cool"? Like most arent even playable to start, they arent doing obnoxious things like Blood Moon or Chalice, the only annoying one is Karn and thats cause theres these mistake lands, if those lands didnt exist Karn would be unplayed.
>>
>>54751311
>Like enchantments but better and harder to deal with
>>
>>54751311
There is no good removal for planeswalkers.
>>
>>54749102
>Best Block
Depends on the theme im feeling, OG Ravnica and Time Spiral are closely tied, Kamigawa gets honorable mention.
>Worst Block
BfZ block, the Eldrazi ruined and continue to ruin Modern, it is the single biggest fuckup ever, the Eldrazi are so pushed and obnoxious.
>>
File: pickle rick.png (87KB, 554x400px) Image search: [Google]
pickle rick.png
87KB, 554x400px
>>54751395
>Kamigawa
>>
Tfw won FNM with 8whack

Why are gobbos objectively the best /tg/?
>>
>>54751408
>it's a redditor who follows meme opinions
Wow dude, I bet you don't even know who Goryo was.
>>
>>54751355
You cant attack an enchantment dude, not only that but red and black have planeswalker removal, you can Lava Spike/Lightning Bolt most walkers, Boros Charm the really large loyalty ones, and Black has Heros Downfall, RB for Dreadbore and GB has Pulse.
I wish Modern had Vindicate to give us just a little more solid permanent removal, but Planeswalkers are not an issue in Modern nor Legacy.
>>
>>54751311
>Mistake lands
But the 5 mistake lands are already banned and have nothing to do with Karn, except maybe flavor-wise
>>
>>54751408
Dont you have some reddit threads to be posting in?
>>
>>54751311
>this "new" card is "broken" because of these "old" cards
How about this "new" card is broken because R&D can't do their fucking jobs?

Not that Karn is "broken" or annoying, it's just that you're retarded.

Other than that, pw's are hated for many reasons and it has nothing to do with 4chan. They fucked up story telling, they occupy mythic slots, which means that if they're good they become a "must have" for standard or even other formats and if they're bad, they're simply occupying a spot where a different type of card could've been used, but instead we must get X mandatory pws each set. Furthermore they are harder to remove than any other threats and often are just "good stuff on a stick" as well as are entirely un-interactive, making them actually opposite of what WotC even wants to push with their narrative, NWO and other bullshit, but sadly they've long ago and multiple times admited that pws sell packs, so why not.

Finally, while originally pws were accepted quite well and were liked, all of the above made people dislike them, but WotC failed to figure that one out and continues to push their pw-based narrative in both game-design and story-telling. Often throwing in random planeswalkers just for the sake of having new ones, with practically minimal/no backstory, not that their neowalker stories are even remotely above tumblr fanfiction tier.

You can imagine how aggravating they are for the old fans who grew up/got into game with Urza/Mishra/Yawgmoth/Weatherlight/etc, or even those who prefered plane-based story telling.
>>
File: 1500749231376.jpg (82KB, 620x349px) Image search: [Google]
1500749231376.jpg
82KB, 620x349px
>>54751569
This, basically. Even the old Tezzeret/Jace stuff was a touch interesting, because Wizards wasn't concerned with having certain walkers be The Good Guys at all times.
Don't get me wrong, there's always going to be the Elspeths and the Gideons and even the Sorins, but guys like Koth and Garruk need to be allowed to exist as well.

From a crunch standpoint, it's because Planeswalkers as a type are slowly replacing creatures as threats, which is an odd state to be. Look to most control decks these days. BW, UW, etc., are all running walkers as wincons.
>>
>>54751569
Nice ad hominem off to a great argument. Anyways Karn would not see play if he wasnt castable off 3 lands, Wurmcoil wouldnt either for what its worth. Karn was designed as a 7 mana walker, not a 3 mana one and is perfectly balanced at that cost. Now we come to the mythic argument which is more of a critique about mythics then Planeswalkers, I agree that Mythics are a mistake because they become very expensive if playable, but any good mythic will become expensive, a creature, a sorcery etc not just a Planeswalker so the problem lies with the Mythic rarity and not the card type.
They are not hard to remove, you are just bad. Most walkers go down in one swing, Red can burn them, Black can outright remove them. Also walkers only get out of hand if left alone for 3 turns or more and Moderns so fast that they should be dead if that happens.
Finally the Urza story is not as good as you think, and the company literally told Maro to knock it the fuck off because the story was going on forever and was killing the game.
>>
>>54751721
"broken" in the context of Magic means a card needs to be banned. Karn does not need to be banned, ergo, he is not broken.

Strong yes, but not broken. Learn your lingo.
>>
>>54751721
>Nice ad hominem!
>Ends his post with ad hominem

Ah, I see we have another illustrious member of the /pol/ School of Debate. Try again from a different angle if you want to have an actually discussion instead of just shitposting.
>>
>>54751433
>>54751539
hook line and sinker
i dont even watch this show but it was on /tv/ for a bit
>>
>>54751424
Anything is objectively the best. Goblins are probably the fastest most aggressive deck, and a lot of decks can't respond to the raw power they can put out in three turns.
>>
>>54751791
Calling you bad at the game because you cant beat the 3 playable Planeswalkers in Modern is fair, its only LotV, Karn, and Ugin.
>>
File: 1498444780553.png (19KB, 445x500px) Image search: [Google]
1498444780553.png
19KB, 445x500px
>>54751855
>spreads and disseminates the idea that a show is the epitome of reddit
>Haha! Look at my baiting skills!

You're still thinking at the surface level, and you're still posting without using new ideas. Improve yourself instead of celebrating perceived victories.
>>
File: pepe dab.png (66KB, 554x400px) Image search: [Google]
pepe dab.png
66KB, 554x400px
>>54751898
alright ill post the 4chan approved version
>>
>>54750022
>That jeskai control list that top 8ed at syracuse
I like that list, I brought almost the same thing to syracuse, but didnt fair every well.
>>
if you turn sword of the meek into an artifact creature can you equip it to itself

can you equip it to other shit?
>>
>>54751372
Dreadbore is arguably better than any enchantment or artifact specific removal, and 'walkers also get hit by Vindicate and co. The problem is that because they're basically spells on a stick, even if you remove them right away, it's not a one for one trade. Powerful artifacts and enchantments, like Blood Moon, Phyrexian Arena, and Crucible of Worlds, all trade cleanly with a Disenchant, but Planeswalkers will always generate some kind of value.
>>
>>54752610
>UW control player taps out for an Elspeth Sun's Champion and ticks up, he has a Snapcaster down too
>Heh, nice try kid
>Play Stormbreath, bring her to 1 loyalty, and Bonfire for 1
>>
What's the best color for Dragon Shields?
>>
>>54753006
I prefer them with Esper decks personally.
>>
>>54752741
>Control player taps out
Well... I mean if he's playing a control deck for the first time ever... maybe.
>>
>>54753006
The mattes are nice. I like the Matte Sky Blue, Ivory, Umber, Jet and Orange and Yellow
>>
File: IMG_1401.jpg (81KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1401.jpg
81KB, 312x445px
>>54751395
>BFZ worst set
>Eldrazi ruined modern

Are you fucking retarded?
>>
>>54753963
that was broken beyond releif when artifact lands were legal
>>
>>54751311

Because they're so boring these days and pushed so hard. Design space for some of their abilities could have been shifted to other card types like enchantments or artifacts to be somewhat interesting. They were never part of the original design of the game and rules had to be warped around to make older cards work to interact with them.

In old past Standards you were looking at maybe about 10 planeswalkers with 5 each per block, if your deck could run them it was alright, you didn't have to build around it or slap them in just because you had the colours to do so. They were usually just something you might want to play on curve. Current Standard right now has THIRTY Planeswalkers. If you were to just count Kaladesh and Amonkhet alone that is NINETEEN.
>>
>>54754068
>Design space
Gideon doesn't take up much space. I mean you only need 2 abilities.
>>
>>54751424
>tfw go 4-0 as tron
>tfw go 0-3 at the very next event
I don't get it. Six out of seven matches were bad matchups.
>>
File: IMG_3164.jpg (130KB, 960x864px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3164.jpg
130KB, 960x864px
>>54748412

Not the guy who posted that shitlist. Was simply defending a card that honestly isn't as terrible as you may initially perceive it. It's not crazy, it's not busted, but it's not bad. For 3 mana, you can reasonably get 6 damage out of this card without spending equity building around it, not to mention casting multiple spells in response to itself, and also not mentioning fringe cards that cheat on cmc (flame javelin, assault/battery, rift bolt)

The card, much like Uncage, disapoints, but after stewing on those cards a bit, they don't leave me as sour as they did initially.

tldr card isn't bad. Naga Harrier, Enlightened Aesthetic; Precise Strike/Kindled Fury (strictly worse than Crowd's Favor); these are bad cards not worthy of the cardboard they're printed on (but muh booster draft vanillas)
>>
>>54753006
the new jet and mint are really nice
>>
File: 1473316453838.jpg (45KB, 385x278px) Image search: [Google]
1473316453838.jpg
45KB, 385x278px
>>54754097

>Gideon doesn't take up much space. I mean you only need 2 abilities.

Alright you kinda got me there on that one. He's a very boring planeswalker as well in general. It's like all he does is always attacks.
>>
>>54753963

Ravager has nowhere near ruined Modern to the point of the BFZ block Eldrazi. Not only did BFZ almost kill Modern during Eldrazi Winter but it completely ruined what was originally a good lore setting(Zendikar) that also ran with good cards before. BFZ is by many the worst set in ages.
>>
>tfw want to buy Oboro and Minamo for monoU turns because of autism and as a hedge against Choke/Boil but they expensive as hell
>tfw running islands instead has been a larger hedge against tec edge and fulminators
>still want them regardless
>>
>>54751311
#1 Reason: Planeswalkers aren't fun
>>
>>54754068
>pushed so hard
This is my reason why planeswalkers fucking suck. There are 43 cards dedicated to the Gatewatch, not including cards that feature them in the art or flavor text.
I'm tired of seeing these assholes, MTG is becoming less about various worlds filled with different creatures and cultures and more about generic capeshit
>>
File: 1485611953757.jpg (23KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
1485611953757.jpg
23KB, 540x960px
>>54755072
tfw MTG lore has devolved into just being a fantasy version of The Avengers
>>
>>54755072
Also when you see new worlds you are seeing them through the eyes of the Gatewatch, which is boring.

I really liked the look of Kaladesh but the only reason we went there is so Chandra could see her mommy.

Well, maybe the rest of Kaladesh could have been interesting? Oh wait Tezzeret was twirling his cartoon evil moustache the entire time so the Gatewatch had to come in and intervene to execute all the consulate for ??? reasons.

I liked when characters IN THE FUCKING WORLD influenced THE WORLD. I can't even recall one non-planeswalker-related character in the last few sets that was important to the overall story of that plane. Instead every set is Jace and pals go on vacation to X land and realize that they have Y problem and try to solve it all by themselves, usually by just burning everything.
>>
This is purely from fluff side of things, but my biggest problem with planeswalkers is that the players are supposed to be planeswalkers, drawing mana from lands to cast devastating spells and summon powerful minions to their aid.

Idea that I just used mana to summon another planeswalker that doesn't use any mana, is less legendary than a fucking legendary creature (2+ of same can exist at same time) and somehow, even when they lose their "loyalty" to me, they don't fuck off, but go to the graveyard, as if they're a simple spell or whatever annoys me.

Not to speak that planes/sets/blocks before neowalkers, especially the ones that had seperate stories or barely connected stories to past blocks allowed for better immersion too - as if you're the one vising that plane and seeing the story unfold, participating in it to an extent.

They don't fit the narrative/design standpoint of "roleplaying". I know this doesn't affect game play to any extent and I am long past the point where I should care about MtG past "is this card good?", but still - fucking hate them because of all of this.
>>
>>54755133
That's what happens when you let a bunch of SJWs take over a company. Everything becomes Harry Potter and comic books.
>>
File: IMG_3170.png (640KB, 958x626px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3170.png
640KB, 958x626px
This thread stinks

Post trashheaps to make it stink less
>>
Theres literally nothing wrong with the Planeswalker card type. Its fine. Planeswalkers in the story are a completely different thing and may be irritating that they ruin worlds but im not into the story just the competitive play.
>>
>>54755072
If I have to see gideon one more time I'm going to vomit to be honest.
>>
>>54756221
Planeswalkers are almost universally designed to be completely uninspired high costed value machines. Unlike any other card type, they're only good in two archetypes, midrange and control by their very nature.
>>
File: crypt.png (2MB, 1417x633px) Image search: [Google]
crypt.png
2MB, 1417x633px
>>54755961
>>
>>54755245
/pol/tards actually think this instead of thinking 'hasbro wants more money from children, which is their only business model'
>>
File: [tranny suicide rate joke].jpg (77KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
[tranny suicide rate joke].jpg
77KB, 312x445px
>>54756882
A more accurate statement would have been "Hasbro wants more money from everyone they perceive as being a possible audience, which is the business model of basically everyone"
>>
>>54756754
just my 2cents but feel free to dismiss. your decks are dank.
I would trim 2 servitude 2 scorpion for 4 hollow one, this seems like a sweet deck to include that meme. I'd also maybe swap a map for another push, you have a lot of cycle to find the crypts.
Hollow One would mess with the sideboard Madcaps, but you could run 4 maindeck Bloodstained Mires and reduce the sideboard Blood Crypts to 2 and even cut 2 other sb lands for something like 4 Collective Brutality to swap out all your mb artifacts for.

anyways excellent deck my dude
>>
>>54756754
Infinitely worse than living end and the angel is terrible side tech
>>
>>54756882
Not parent, but I think it's hard to deny WotC has been hijacked by SJWs.
>>
File: hollowmeem.png (210KB, 861x672px) Image search: [Google]
hollowmeem.png
210KB, 861x672px
>>54756754
here's the mods i've done to your creation, have yet to test it but I feel like hollow meme compliments the vile manifestations well.
>>
>>54757669
on second thought would cut a canyon for a second angel, the sb plan being -4 hollow -4 council -1 map -1 servitude -5 swamp, add whole sideboard.

>>54757387
the sideplan i think is for RiP etc, splashing white for counterhate is okay but seems like a less ideal plan all than transforming into a madcap meme. Relic spam is difficult to kill properly and a RiP off the top can be devastating regardless of removal.
>>
File: Image (2).jpg (30KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image (2).jpg
30KB, 223x310px
Anyone here have some spicy build around cards I can brew around? An anon a few threads ago gave me a solid list but I brewed off of most of them already. Pic related was my last brew
>>
>>54752610
>vindicate
You mean aguished unmaking? who is running that?
>>
>>54758281
I meant Vindicate and all similar spells. Anguished Unmaking, Maelstrom Pulse, Detention Sphere, and so on.
>>
Who in r+d do i have to blow for a T0 response to hand destruction that isn't leyline?
>>
>>54758403
Return to the battle for zendikar will have a trap just for it don't you worry ;)

now zuck :d
>>
>>54751488
He's talking about urza lands you autist
>>
>>54758631
Tron lands are fine. The problem is Wizards making Colorless into the huge creatures color and giving the old, pre-colorless distinction cards so much new material to play with.

BfZ has been shitting up the format since release.
>>
>>54758686
the """problem""" is a) karn, literally urza's homeboy, costs (((7))) which happens to be assembled urza land mana... not to mention ugin, and b) the op af speghetti monters and the temple they flew in on. daily reminder that R&D almost made reality smasher cost CCCC but said it was "too difficult to cast"
>>
>>54758919
wow dude, we're literally on the same page.
Your "a" is fine alone, and your "b" is fine alone. But the moment people jam both into the same deck, things start breaking. Turns out, making so many things Colorless was a mistake, because a distinction between Colorless and Generic was a mistake.

Friendly reminder that Tron specifically refers to the Urza lands only.
>>
>>54758981
Karn+Drazi isn't really the problem. Karn has always been a huge pushed dick. Drazi in general are pushed as well, and with Temple it makes it much worse. The fact that ancient stirrings, flavorwise, is like a search for either land, an artifact, or their new dank non-artifact colorless aylmaos. Karn is perfect flavor. Sanctum of Ugin+Ugin+Titans is perfect flavor. They even made a standard useless Sylvan Scrying reprint for added flavor. I think R&D are smarter than you think.
>>
>>54758191

>gatherer
>card type: whatever
>format: modern
>list by highest rated

You'll learn a bunch of neat cards that way and find plenty of inspiration on your own.
>>
>>54757153
This will never not piss me off.
They created a transgender character in a society without gender roles. The ultimate special snowflake.
>>
I LOVE MAGIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
File: 1478566112606.jpg (18KB, 451x451px) Image search: [Google]
1478566112606.jpg
18KB, 451x451px
>>54759468
I am more bothered by the vague way they defined what transgender actually means in Tarkir.
Magic surgery is very unlikely to exist. Just at the basic level of not having refrigeration to even allow organ donation of any kind. There is no infrastructure to allow that, although I don't doubt some kind of magic-scalpel effect exists that could remove a penis. But that raises the question of why even bother if there's no womb to implant in.
Beyond that, I suppose there would be the cultural consideration. Perhaps Alesha decided she wanted to be a bottom. Strange behavior for the chief warlord. I can't imaging giving up the ability to penetrate would go over well with establishing dominance. More likely, even if her organs have been changed to feminine somehow, she would still be the dominant partner. I guess there's the question of pleasure, but I can't imagine someone bothering with an organ change unless Tarkir natives don't have an anus.

With all that being said, there just isn't a reason I can see that would mean Alesha has female genitalia. Working from the card art isn't great. I can't tell if she has breasts, or if her waist-to-hip ratio is within the typical female range, or if she wears makeup.
That last point is interesting. I can't imagine the Mardu wear makeup at all. Warpaint surely, but makeup never.

So we have someone who declares himself a woman, uses female pronouns, but visual has nothing female or feminine about herself.

I'm genuinely baffled by whatever culture Wizards is implying exists on Tarkir.
The best I can do is that, as the trace elements of lore implies, Alesha has simply adopted her grandmother's name, but in all other ways, continues to live and exist as a man, not even attempting to be female or feminine.

Is that even a trans?
I don't want to jump ship and start talking about the Mexicana religion, but they have parallels with male ritual actors "becoming" a goddess, except it's not trans because the actor ceases to exist.
>>
>>54754067
I remember when they were previewing mirrodin, they said artifact lands would be counted as basic lands. That didn't last long.
>>
File: 1489269100032.jpg (82KB, 586x720px) Image search: [Google]
1489269100032.jpg
82KB, 586x720px
>>54759652
>>
Daily reminder if you play Latern you're a total faggot.

>b-but it's so much fun to get the lock

when really that's just pussy talk for

>I'm so desperate to play this game I need every single game to last 30 minutes.
>>
File: tumblr_os4si2XpTf1u9beo8o5_1280.jpg (542KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_os4si2XpTf1u9beo8o5_1280.jpg
542KB, 1280x960px
>>54759468
What's ironic is that they went with that instead of just making her a female warrior who's an accomplished general on the battlefield
Just goes to show how much WOTC likes to virtue signal to the BLT community
Pic related
>>
>>54759829
>can't beat a low tier 2 deck
Stop playing midrange. That's actually what the deck preys on.
>>
>>54759909
>virtue signal
>I have no idea what this word means but /pol/ says it means I win!

back to your containment board
>>
>>54759909
>he says, while posting a tumblr pic
:thinking:
>>
>>54759967
Google is a thing

>>54759941
Please don't be intolerant to my beliefs...these microaggressions are making me feel unsafe!
>>
>>54759829
Daily reminder if you cry about Lantern you're a total faggot.

>b-b-but it takes 30 mins to win
If you don't concede when they have a full lock and take several minutes a turn then sure. The only reason the deck takes any sort of time is because people slow play once they get locked out because they're salty cunts.
>>
>>54760000
>"I am totally not from tumblr"
Nice """virtue signalling"""
>>
>>54759941
>critique is not allowed.
They specify skin color for artists even for spells (new FoW was meant to be a black girl, enter the infinite meant to depict a black male, the ghost assassin planeswalker was meant to be a black female and so on).
They made transgender, gay and autistic characters without any real reason and by real I mean that it played no role in story-telling, world-building or had any kind of other reason to be revealed.

That's same as making Dumbledore gay - it served no purpose for the actual story. Mindlessly trying to appeal to extremely vocal, yet extremely minor groups is a terrible idea, as it can often end up pushing your actual target audience away with no actual benefit.

Please do make gay, transgender, autistic, PoC, w/e characters - but for a reason, use proper story telling, make it serve a purpose, as it should be done. Don't just mention it randomly to piss off a bunch of neckbeards.
>>
>>54760105
Good call with Dumbledore. That one always bugged me since his sexuality was never relevant in the books. It was blatant pandering and that kind of thing feels extremely phony. Unfortunately, many still buy into these kind of business minded PR stunts.
>>
This whole thing began with someone saying liberals turning everything into Harry Potter and now you faggots are talking about Harry Potter again!
>>
>>54749102

Holy shit, the deck I usually play with and haven't really upgraded from is a Mirrodin equipment deck. I'm probably as beginner as it gets in regards to MtG and its current state, but what's a good set to mingle/upgrade with my previous Mirrodin deck?
>>
File: 1394664726098.jpg (26KB, 202x184px) Image search: [Google]
1394664726098.jpg
26KB, 202x184px
So what does /tg/ think will get banned/unbanned in modern if anything this month?

What do you want banned or unbanned?
>>
>>54760363
Banned
>urza's Power Plant
>street wraith

Unbanned
>preordain
>stoneforge mystic
>>
File: gay-christmas-10-b.jpg (24KB, 338x504px) Image search: [Google]
gay-christmas-10-b.jpg
24KB, 338x504px
>>54760363
>banned
Nothing
>unbanned
Everything
>>
>>54760432
Don't get my hopes up like that
>>
>>54760030
I do it so I can force a draw rather than lose. It's a legitimate strategy against the deck.
>>
>>54751408
Ultimate pleb, the post.
>>
>>54760257
NewMirroding had some good cards in your theme, as obvious as it sounds.
>>
>>54760363
Ban
Mox opal
Ensnaring Bridge
Thoughtseize
Chalice of the Void
>>
>>54752610
>>54752610
if you're not an absolute retard you get a land back with crucible before it can be targeted with disenchant.
here's how: play your crucible on turn 4 or later, with a land in the graveyard. the crucible will resolve and you'll get priority back. play your land from the yard. now since you weren't an absolute retard slamming crucible on turn 3 you get your land back and can take another action or pass priority to the end of the phase at which time the opponent can target your mcguffin with a disenchant.
>>
>>54760551
You know, besides thoughtseize, this post just shows how you're unable to sideboard properly.
>>
>>54760363
>What I want
Ban Chalice
>What will happen
Nothing

>>54760432
>Banning only one Tron land when you know that it's the same as banning all three
>Not banning all three at once
It won't happen by the way
>>
>>54760492
>It's a legitimate strategy against the deck.
Slow playing on purpose is not a "legitimate strategy" anon and anybody that isn't retarded will realize what you're doing.
>>
Why does everyone want a Chalice ban? It's mostly run to just to fuck over shadow
>>
>>54760635
Because Chalice on 1 fuck up my deck engine (it's not DS)
>>
>>54760105
>They made transgender, gay and autistic characters without any real reason

There is no reason for being any of these things though? Nobody chooses to be gay my dude. You just seem to be looking for a straw man to get upset at.
>>
File: ChaliceOfTheVoid.jpg (106KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
ChaliceOfTheVoid.jpg
106KB, 223x311px
*blocks your path*
>>
File: 1453870947419.jpg (347KB, 480x680px) Image search: [Google]
1453870947419.jpg
347KB, 480x680px
>>54761254
>>
>>54761215
No, you do not understand how story telling works. In tales/stories/books/movies/etc everything is done for a reason, otherwise it's meaningless. If a story draws attention on an item or a detail or a character trait, that means that it will play a role in that story, otherwise there is no reason for it. It appears out of place for the reader/viewer.

If I draw attention that character is gay, then it must come into story, the character must experience something that will justify creator drawing attention to it - love, relationships, persecution, etc. Something,. anything, otherwise it's unnecessary. Same applies for saying "this character is autistic" - there must be a reason why you drew attention to it/made it that way. A reason for story telling.

Writing has rules, believe it or not and WotC's storytelling has became worse than even teenager fan fiction on the web in terms of writing quality. There is not only no depth, as well as unnecessary bullshit like Chandra fantasizing about Gideon, like in some cheap erotica, yet nothing is being developed on it, but on top of it all - making/creating useless character traits that serve no purpose simply for some political stance/ideological reasons.

It's very simple principles of any kind of writing, I advice to pick up writing/cinema classes as extra credit as they're both easy to pass and teaches you this basic shit. Sadly, it's not being followed by WotC at all.

Mind you - I don't say a character can't be per say a person of color, sure it can, Teferi was/is black, nobody ever had a problem with the dude, the problem arises when you focus/mention traits that serve no purpose at all. Either give it a purpose or don't do it at all.
>>
>>54761393
This is what autism looks like folks.
>>
>>54761480
>basic rules of story telling, applied in all of fucking media for centuries
>IT'S AUTISM BECAUSE I WAS UNAWARE OF IT
Sure, pal.
>>
>>54761480
Not that guy but
>If a story draws attention on an item or a detail or a character trait, that means that it will play a role in that story
is a pretty valid point. If that doesn't play any role, you can only wonder what may be the reason behind such shoehorning. Oh, right. Pandering.

Not much more to say. I dislike it, i think it's silly and take the spotlight out of interesting characters to unilateral newcomers (for exemple, Odric was less seen than the new super strong super defiant soldier girl following Thalia around like a puppy, or than the hunter couple).
But it's not THAT of a big deal.
It's shitty, but not the end of the world. For now.
>>
>>54761480
No, Anon. You are the autists
>>
>>54761480
Your post is what autism looks like indeed
>>
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/02-05-17-controlled-burn/

Im trying to make a Rakdos burn deck that's a bit more interesting.

Trying to decide for the last 8 slots between 4x of; Liliana's Caress and Inquisition (to go with Waste and the other discard) or go burn mode and take Rift Bolt and Bump in the Night
>>
>>54762473
This card would be hilarious with ninjutsu.
>>
>>54762634
just running it with Stoneforge Mystic before the ban would have been glorious
>>
>>54762678
im retarded of course its a commander card
>>
>>54761262
My worst deck, a G/B Hydra counters ramp brew is also the only deck I run that consistently beats tron because of this card
>>
>>54762678
>before the ban
Was never legal senpai
>>
>>54761393
Narset being autistic has plot significance though. That's why she was able to focus on her training so much. All that Jeskai monk shit was her fidget spinner.
>>
>>54762473
Id keep it as it is now. Bump in the night is objectively worse than inquisition but lilianas caress i dont think is worth your turn 2 play over discard and damage, the hand control is enough until you get waste not
>>
File: 1494178337480.jpg (61KB, 465x620px) Image search: [Google]
1494178337480.jpg
61KB, 465x620px
>>54762917
Who diagnosed her with autism?
>>
>>54763056
Wizard of the Coast and the Mr.Whocares they hired to write that stuff.
Also probably the community manager.
>>
>>54763056
Someone who believes anyone who a short attention span and a dislike for loud, crowded places has autism
>>
>>54760257
You can get puresteel paladin from scars, you can make use of explorers scope for mana fixing
>>
File: Strategic-Planning1.png (168KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
Strategic-Planning1.png
168KB, 265x370px
>>54761393
as someone who once wrote a bunch of shit worth reading once, you're not entirely right. "Unecessary" doesn't mean "wrong to add". Magic lore isn't a script, you're mixing mediums and its actually throwing you here. In the written word you have a lot more leeway about details that a script could NEVER include (that's what good directors are for), and in something like Magic lore you specifically want to be worldbuilding more often than simply telling the plot. The plot justifies the existence of the world instead of the other way around like a normal narrative. What you're seeing as loose, fragmented "meaningless" details are often just the writers putting phrases in to add color. Are they hamfisted? Often, recently very often. But I'm far more offended by horrid flavortext than the MTGAvengers(tm) written by bloggers.

>Writing has rules
Tell that to any major writer of written word and they'll smile and say something like "most of the time" or "when it's helpful" and absolutely "depending on the medium"

Keep on writing though, shit keeps you alive sometimes.
>>
>>54760030

>Have multiple answers in the deck, some with flashback, and fetchlands to counter mill cards

I don't concede because even under the lock I have a chance at winning, it just takes way too long. It's a boring deck to play against, I'd rather fight hard control.
>>
File: Bantdrazitron.png (24KB, 707x435px) Image search: [Google]
Bantdrazitron.png
24KB, 707x435px
>>54755961
Did someone say trashheaps?
>>
>>54766772
>4 Noble Heirarch
>4 Ancient Stirrings
>7 green sources
wew
>>
>>54766953
It was surprisingly consistent in testing and the one time I brought it to FNM for the lulz.
>>
File: disappointed.jpg (12KB, 310x310px) Image search: [Google]
disappointed.jpg
12KB, 310x310px
>>54760551
>ban things from decks I lose against
>>
I'm surprised so many people have trouble with Chalice of the Void. There's plenty of cards that can deal with it.
>Abrupt Decay
>Ancient Grudge
>By Force
>Creeping Corrosion
>Fracturing Gust
>Kolaghan's Command
>Shatterstorm
>Smash to Smithereens
>literally any counterspell, here's some examples
>Ceremonious Rejection
>Condescend
>Mana Leak
>Negate
>Repeal
It's so easy to deal with artifacts, and during a time when a lot of people are running Tron and Affinity, why haven't you sided in artifact/colorless hate?
>>
>>54767416
because they set chalice to (insert removal cards cost here's) mana cost and counters it
>>
>>54767495
That's what makes Ancient Grudge nice against it.
Chalice is run primarily by Tron and sometimes sided in by Affinity and is generally always on 1 to deal with cheap removal so they can get creatures out, so you'll usually be able to hit it with a 2 cmc removal.
Even so, I'd say Ceremonious Rejection is really the best way to deal with it. 1 cmc counterspell with no way to get around it that can deal with pretty much anything those 2 decks throw at you + it only costs 30 cents on TCGPlayer.
>>
>>54767416
>>54767669
You are retarded, yes there is fucking removal for artifacts. Chalice is good because it can fucking defend itself for one, and a lot of the time if you dont have the fucking removal already in your hand, you literally just fucking play lands.

Dont be a fucking retard.
>>
File: trashfights.png (24KB, 724x296px) Image search: [Google]
trashfights.png
24KB, 724x296px
>>54755961
>>54766772
trash fights are patrician magic
>>
>>54767717
t. shitter running janky homebrew
>>
File: wrong.jpg (33KB, 433x448px) Image search: [Google]
wrong.jpg
33KB, 433x448px
>>54767808
>>
File: norin sisters.png (134KB, 1028x636px) Image search: [Google]
norin sisters.png
134KB, 1028x636px
>playing
ad naus

>hating
tron

>brewing
it's blue moon but you make the deck worse by jamming 4 goyfs

also, did someone say jank?
>>
File: aha.jpg (14KB, 249x178px) Image search: [Google]
aha.jpg
14KB, 249x178px
>>54767717
>his entire deck gets shut down by Chalice
You play Death's Shadow don't you?
>>
>>54767949
If chalice didnt shut anything off, it wouldnt be played
>>
>>54767416
chalice isn't played because it's tough to remove, it's played because it cripples some decks while it's on the battlefield. shadow has only 2 cards in their main deck that can destroy it, and maybe 1-2 more that they can board in. and while it's on the battlefield they can't play magic. it also cripples affinity, storm, elves, burn, infect, and more. it's a card that needs to be answered or your deck just doesn't work, so if they play it and you don't have your answer you just lose.
>>
>>54760363
>ban
nothing

>unban
bbe, jace
>>
> Ban Thoughtsieze OR unban Mental Misstep
> Ban Streetwraith

That's pretty much it for bans. They just need to print better nonartifact colorless hate You know how All Is Dust kills all colored perms? We need something like :
(1)RRG - (Fuck you Eldrazi and Affinity)
Choose two.
Destroy all colorless creatures.
Tap all lands that produce colorless mana, they don't untap during their controllers next untap step.
Destroy all non creature artifacts.

If you want to run Tron lands and Etemple, fine, but get ready to be anally raped by hate cards you dick.

> Unban SFM, preordain like another anon sad

Would also like a GSZ unban, green needs love, but then again GSZ is fucking good, maybe too good for modern .
>>
>>54767999

So your saying that maybe people should not be constructing their decks so greedily or poorly as to be fucked by one card out of the sideboard? Gee who would have though? If you want to streamline your deck so much to 1-2 cmc like GDS for that extra power, you need to know that people can and will hate on it. Don't get salty, get good.
>>
>>54768096
I'm not salty, I'm explaining why the card is powerful. And I think that modern is a diverse enough format that if you think that a deck that scoops to chalice is the best deck, it's still correct to play that deck and scoop to chalice. According to the tappedout tier list (which is actually really good) eldrazi tron is 6.66% of the meta. So, in a 15 round tournament you'll play against it once on average. The reason why chalice is good and why people aren't building decks to be able to beat it is because the chalice decks are such a small part of the meta that it's not worth it to contort your deck to beat a chalice when you might not ever see one in a tournament.

Still, it feels like shit to not be able to play magic for a whole round when you win the tron lottery.
>>
File: Image.jpg (29KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
29KB, 223x310px
>>54768035
>Tap all lands that produce colorless mana, they don't untap during their controllers next untap step
You're gonna love pic related
>>
>people say planeswalkers are harder to deal with than enchantments
Have you tried attacking them? You can't attack an enchantment.
>>
>>54768332
You cant block for an enchantment either
>>
>>54768166
That's exactly why I recommended Ceremonious Rejection. It not only takes care of Chalice, but any Tron creatures, Oblivion Stone and practically everything in Affinity. That's 18% of the meta you can hurt for under a dollar.
>>
I. Mono U tron
II. Bushwacker aristocrats
III. That one smug elves player

IV. Lorwin was sick shit
>>
>>54768035
I'm not actually against unbanning Mental Misstep personally, so long as GDS gets kicked in the balls elsewhere. Gurmag Angler would be a sweet ban as the CMC of the card has seriously hurt Jund since it makes Abrupt Decay much worse.
>>
when should elves run lead the stampede vs chord?

is there any reason to run more than 2 Ezuri if I'm playing GB?
>>
File: 147216317.png (2MB, 1419x809px) Image search: [Google]
147216317.png
2MB, 1419x809px
>>54757387
>>54757280
>>54757669
Thanks for the feedback, I originally built
this as an ultrabudget deck for a friend using some stuff he already owned but here's what I'd probably add to make it less of a bad living end. A good version would probably exploit the fact that it can actually play cards with cmc <3.
>>
Would SFM make mardu a not garbage color in modern?
>>
>>54770620
Why would you play red over green?
>>
File: 1489644147858.jpg (80KB, 628x651px) Image search: [Google]
1489644147858.jpg
80KB, 628x651px
>>54760056
>picture of WotC doing tumblr shit
>the picture is from tumblr
w0w what a surprising development strange how people find images from their sources
>>
>>54770675
Because I like bolt and don't own goyfs
>>
File: BLT-sandwich1[1].jpg (35KB, 474x317px) Image search: [Google]
BLT-sandwich1[1].jpg
35KB, 474x317px
>>54759909
>BLT community
I love a good BLT.
>>
File: bring to light.jpg (72KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
bring to light.jpg
72KB, 312x445px
>>54770789
That was a typo, you imbecile.
Obviously he meant BTL community
>>
Im looking to get into jeskai control (the spell queller version).
What are some essential SB cards and general SB thoughts/strategies?

I find sideboarding really difficult.
>>
>>54770944
If your local meta isn't heavy in GDS don't bother. The deck can't kill people. It's only looking good now because the best deck kills itself for you.
>>
Does cycling Street Wrath count as a creature spell for Vengevine?
>>
>>54771159
No.
>>
>>54767147
not an argument
>>
>>54771349
do you deserve one?
>>
Hey bakas. Looking to build Merfolk and noticed a lot of lists running only 1 Cavern. Any reason why? If budget is no concern, should I jump for 4? It's going to be my second Modern deck and I'm very excited about it, but confused as to this deckbuilding choice.
>>
>>54771830
While I'm here, what are peoples thoughts on splashing in the deck? Red for Bolt or Black for Push or White for Path (though this is probably least appealing because of anti-synergy with Cursecatcher and Kopala, Warden of Waves) would be free. Cutting Vapor Snags and/or Dismembers wouldnt make much difference.

Arltm Im leaning towards mono u because mine is a Blood Moon heavy metagame.
>>
>>54771887
Only plebs think adding more colours makes decks better.
>>
File: 1494907695393.gif (116KB, 277x400px) Image search: [Google]
1494907695393.gif
116KB, 277x400px
>>54771927
>He doesn't play Jund+UW
LMAOing @ ur life
>>
File: holydiva.png (1MB, 1345x893px) Image search: [Google]
holydiva.png
1MB, 1345x893px
she is a male, right?
>>
>>54771987
I play Ponza, 5c friend.
>>
>>54772048
probably but the fag in the chat certainly isn't
>>
>>54767999

>it also cripples affinity, storm, elves

Stopped reading there because you don't know what you're talking about. Chalice doesn't do shit to Elves especially when 4x Cavern of Souls are in most lists. I have never lost to a Chalice on 1 on either the play or draw with Elves against any deck running it. Chalice doesn't do shit against Affinity if the Affinity deck is on the play and is effectively a dead card, if Affinity is on the draw it's better sure. Majority of Modern Storm's CMC is 2, not 1 like Legacy variants. Geting Chalice out on 2 is going to be a bit too late in most cases and most Storm decks now run one maindeck answer to catch-all permanents like Repeal and some already maindeck Shattering Spree as a tutorable out with Gifts Ungiven
>>
>>54772429
Storm can't win without its cantrips.
>>
>>54771830

Merfolk at times needs more U for their spells that aren't cast Merfolk creatures at times. If you end up with a board clogged with Cavern of Souls you'll have your Merfolk out sure but you won't be able to cast Vapor Snag, Spreading Seas, Sea's Claim etc. So while useful it's not a land they want to run many copies of.

It's vastly different to say Elves which has like 16 dudes that can tap for G so you can run 4x copies of Cavern of Souls.
>>
>>54771987

Legacy shill here, you'd like this deck

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/724297#paper

I personally hate that it's just a pile of the best cards in legacy, but it's why I play blood moon tribal.
>>
>>54772474

Yeah no shit it can't Sherlock. Any more obvious statements you'd like to make? Storm has ways to beat Chalice easily through Gifts packages.

Gifts Ungiven grabbing:

I grab Shattering Spree, Wipe away, Past in Flames, Noxious Revival or Wear//Tear.

This beats Chalice on 2 against Storm.
>>
>>54772551
God it's so fucking easy I wish I was as good as you.
>>
I'm wanting to build my first real deck, but I'm not sure where to go to get the best prices of cards. Any suggestions?
>>
>>54772602

tcgplayer is good for prices because it lists all the online vendors and gives you a rough average between all the vendors for what your cards value are.
>>
>chalice isnt good vs elves
what the fuck am i reading
>>
File: Chalice of Souls.jpg (62KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
Chalice of Souls.jpg
62KB, 312x445px
>>54772691
>>
>>54772862
>wow a 4 of that lets you cast 1 elf
lol
>>
>>54772908

You want to tap 2 mana to play Chalice against Elves once they've landed a single Heritage Druid or Mana elf from a non-Caverns land?

If their opener was Heritage Druid and they drop Dwynen's Elite they can drop Archdruid immediately with 3 other Elves on the board immediately. Go ahead then. They're also within their means to cast a Rec Sage turn 2 as well. Chalice is very bad against Elves, they can go fast or take their time and build up a board and wreck with multiple Shaman of the Pack triggers. Trust me when I say that Chalice against Elves is bad, I've played on both sides of the Elves deck and Chalice does fuck all against it.
>>
>>54772908

A 4x copy of a card has a 40% chance of being in your opening hand. As your turn goes on and you draw more cards the chances of you drawing that particular card increases to 44.5% 48.8% 52.8% 56.6% 60.1%

It is entirely reasonable to presume an early Cavern of Souls is highly possible in the opening hand.
>>
>>54773139
And the same probability for wasteland
>>
>>54773201

>Wasteland

You're in the wrong thread.
>>
>>54773246
isnt wasteland legal in modern
>>
>>54773487

No. Why do you think there's an absence of decks without it?
>>
>>54773508
Idk, because I google modern ban list and wasteland isnt on it
>>
Is storm /spoiler/fun/endspoiler/
>>
>>54773546
Kms
>>
http://magic.wizards.com/en/game-info/gameplay/rules-and-formats/banned-restricted
http://magic.wizards.com/en/game-info/gameplay/formats/modern
https://mtg.gamepedia.com/Modern#Banned_List
https://mtg.gamepedia.com/Timeline_of_DCI_bans_and_restrictions

None of these have wasteland as a ban

Am i just blind or what?
>>
>>54773676
Dude, modern is all cards that have been printed since 8th edition and onwards, wasteland was printed way before 8th edition and only reprinted in sets that are not modern legal.
>>
>>54773526

Well maybe you should know the subject you're talking about before you start talking? Wasteland isn't in a Modern legal set, if you played the format you would know this because it's an iconic card. For that matter Legacy elves does not care about Wasteland since it can play basics and GSZ to bypass Wasteland and Chalice.
>>
>>54773546

Storm is fun for the person playing it. There's always a good chance the Storm player can fuck up and then can't win.
>>
>>54773676

No you're just someone who doesn't look up what sets Wasteland is printed in to determine if it's Modern legal or not.
>>
>>54773676
No you're just retarded

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Printings.aspx?multiverseid=413790
>>
>>54773939
Why would they not put on that page that it isnt modern legal
>>
>>54773775
Legacy elves plays like 2 forests and like 1 cavern if that
>>
>>54773979

If Legacy elves is playing Cavern it's usually because they're choosing to splash in Leovold. That or it's a slightly older list against Countertop(Miracles)
>>
>>54773775
You are retarded if you dont think chalice is good against elves
>>
File: dec.png (22KB, 848x294px) Image search: [Google]
dec.png
22KB, 848x294px
>>54755961
Trashheap?
Possibly.
Jank?
Absolutely
>>
>>54774152

You're retarded if you think it is. I've already explained the reasons for and why Chalice is bad against Elves in Modern. They simply do not care about it and can easily bypass it. You haven't provided a rebuttal of any merit since. I have played as Elves and against Elves with a Chalice in play on 1. I never lost when playing as Elves to that Chalice in about 100 games.
>>
I haven't played magic in a long time, stopped around the end of the second mirroden block. Have they done anything with Phyrexia lore-wise since then? From what little I've looked into it seems to be mostly about the Elderazi and some gay dragon.
>>
>>54774474
>my deck doesnt get hosed by chalice so chalice is bad against it

STOP
>>
Ok you guys were right Sky Hussar is the most awesome creature
>>
>>54775103
Monumeme is a fun lil deck.

Whats your list look like? Thrabens have been good to me, and trying out 2 Honor of the Pure and has been not terrible (squaks become killer beez), could use more testing though to see if they are actually worth it or if they're winmore
>>
>>54775211
My maindeck is just the typical list that's been running around lately with a few changes (4 Path instead of a 2-2 split with Dusk/Dawn). My sideboard is filled with value creatures like Thalia, Kataki, Spellstutter Sprites and Ghost Quarters. Haven't had time to change it too much

I might replace my Judge's Familiars with Inspectors, I like the idea of more draw than a Force Spike but Familiar can fly. Haven't thought about an anthem like Honor of the Pure, I'll definitely try it out.
>>
>>54775495
I swapped the serums for inspectors,
never really like serum in a deck like this
>>
>>54775495
>>54776280
and for the 2 honor slots i think i did -2 wall.
I really like the judges, you are the beatdown deck vs comboshit and the only way you can realistically stop that shit is your 4 queller 4 judges.
>>
Is it worth it to put fetch lands in a mono red burn deck?
>>
>>54776478
Only if you're running Grim Lavamancer. Legacy Burn does that.
>>
anyone here have a GW taxes deck?
>>
>>54749102
>"Here, solider! Have this garbage weapon of spikey steel that is all crooked and shit"

"T.. thanks Auriok"
>>
>>54774882

It's time for you to stop posting.
>>
>>54776822
Hes right you know
>>
>>54776837

No actually he's not. Claiming a deck is bad against chalice and then not providing any reasons why doesn't make it true. Chalice is bad against Elves, play the deck yourself and you'll find out.
>>
>>54776850
https://youtu.be/yMpPA-HofhA?t=522

Heres the reaction of 285 pro points player reid duke reacting to a turn one chalice.

It doesnt sound the like reaction of someone that seems to believe that elves just ignores chalice
>>
>>54776927

>Legacy Elves

Fuck are you like some special form of retarded? Do you not know what fucking thread this is mate?

Legacy Elves don't run 4x Cavern of Souls, Modern Elves can and usually does. Legacy Elves is not Modern Elves, they're completely different engines and card pools. Legacy Elves wins through Craterhoof being tutored through Natural Order and using Glimpse of Nature card chains, can literally win off a single basic forest being retapped 5 times. Modern Elves wins through Ezuri activations and Shaman of the Pack triggers with CoCo for its draw engine.

Legacy also can drop Chalice on turn 1 with nothing other than an Ancient Tomb, Modern does not and would require a special setup like an SSG or if the Chalice player was on the draw and put a Gemstone Cavern down turn 0. Even then that still gives the Elves player the advantage because of ont he play and being able to have Turn 1 Heritage into Elfspam or just drops a turn 2 Archdruid uncontested.
>>
>>54777050
thread title doesnt matter, we were talking about legacy

get bent nerd, youve been had
>>
>>54777089

Lol no we weren't faggot. Don't backpedal because you were fucking wrong and put in your place. The reply chain isn't even about Legacy discussion. Are you the same retard that thought Wasteland was Modern legal as well?
>>
File: 18765987.jpg (33KB, 444x279px) Image search: [Google]
18765987.jpg
33KB, 444x279px
>>54776822
>>54776837
>approximately 1 minute to the fucking second
This is a real abstract kind of samefagging
>>
File: enchantments.jpg (291KB, 719x755px) Image search: [Google]
enchantments.jpg
291KB, 719x755px
r8 but don't b-r8
>>
>>54777826
why no idyllic tutor
>>
>>54777826
I feel like extra Sigils might be better than some of the other fun-of enchants, especially if you're not running any tutors. Endless Horizons is spicy, though. You may also consider a Ghost Quarter/Flagstones of Trokair package, for Tron and friends. Some way to win without combat damage in the 75 could be good against other prison MUs, like Lantern and Sun and Moon. Running more than one Mistveil Plains so you can reliably deck people might help with that.
>>
2 days until I'm off to GP Birmingham /tg/!
>>
>>54778023
What are you gonna play
>>
>>54778057
I'm playing Ponza at the main event and bringing Stoneblade to do side events with. Hoping the room is full of GDS faggots I can prey on.
>>
>>54777826

No Idyllic Tutor?
>>
>>54776280
>>54776387
Oh that's a good idea actually. Visions is a bit against what the deck is trying to do, and Inspector is a much better topdeck mid/late having a body and all. I think I'll try that.

I also wanted to play 1 Gaze of Justice, but that's mainly because I think the card's hilarious
>>
I like Seth, probably better known as Saffron Olive's videos but his gay voice annoys me so much
>>
is it a good idea to preorder a ixalan display box? it costs around 80 €.

i will never buy singles, i think they destroy the game. there is a reason why wotc dont sell singles.if everyone only played with the cards they got from boosters and boxes, the game wouldnt be so broken and cards would be much more worth.
>>
>>54779053
The only mtg youtuber i can stand anymore is Rudy. The Prof is only good for product reviews
>>
>>54779053
I only watch ChannelFireball, and even then I only watch Caleb D's videos
>>
>>54779151
>>54779560
Right now I like Corbin from TCGplayer a lot. He's chill and explains things really well.
>>
The only modern deck I play is Ponza, and I was wondering if its worth it to start building WB eskimo tokens
>>
File: 1484710486853.jpg (37KB, 500x274px) Image search: [Google]
1484710486853.jpg
37KB, 500x274px
>>54779065
>>
File: IMG_1061.jpg (85KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1061.jpg
85KB, 223x310px
>>54753963
Mirrodin was fun af tho. March of the machines shit all over affinity and no one played it but me I guess.
>>
>playing
BG infect midrange
>hating
Nothing really pegs me as hateable right now. Not like reflector mage in standard at least.
>brewing
I actually came into this thread just to talk about some spicey memes I'm brewing
>liliana's defeat sideboard for Death Shadow
Yeah, push would be better, but it's a budget alternative
>plague myr
Since hand fuckery is so prevelant right now, I feel like infect cards need to be solid on their own. This means mana weenies don't really help your combo anymore if they only deal normal damage. Plague myr can act as a backup infect creature if your other gets removed.

I'm also brewing BU Eldrazi tribal. In my playtests without the optimal land base it actually stands on it's own vs Shadow, which makes me happy.
>worst set/block
I started playing from khans, I feel like the worst set released starting from their was kaladesh. Only because I have no interest in any of the cards from it.
>>
>>54749102
Heres a card idea

>armory keeper
>2 CMC artifact creature - construct
>2/2
>4 (tap) search your deck for an Equipment card, reveal it, shuffle your library and place the card on top of it.

Good? bad?
>>
>>54782834
No, dont steal stone forge mystics job
>>
>>54783033
Well she's banned so i figure this could act as a replacement untill she's unbanned
>>
>>54783223
nO

JUST unban her
>>
>>54751569
While I agree that the current planeswalkers fucked up the story (I will always hate that they asspulled killing 2 Eldrazi titans defeating their entire flavor) , at least they got their asses reamed by bolas and are now split up.

I only started playing and following the story at the end of khans, but I did touch on a lot of the older story just to get a feel for everything and I enjoyed the older lore more.
>>
File: 19.jpg (48KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
19.jpg
48KB, 312x445px
>>54782834
Stoneforge Mystic is good because she tutors something, AND she can cheat equipment cards into play. Turns Batterskull into a uncounterable two mana 4/4 with vigilance and lifelink. I'd rather just use Steelshaper's Gift than pay six mana to search for an equipment card and put it on top of my library.
>>
>>54752424
>bolas_wielding_bolas.jpg
>>
>>54783325
Well seeing how the gatewatch (boo!) got flung across the plains (and the annoying blue one went retarded thanks to bolas) we could focus on some other plainswalkers.

Maybe we get to see samut go venturing throughout the multiverse in ixalan, maybe on dominaria teferi could restore jace or something i dunnio
>>
File: curses.jpg (270KB, 786x728px) Image search: [Google]
curses.jpg
270KB, 786x728px
So, did anyone else notice that the guy depicted in the art of all of the commander 2017 curse cards are the same guy?
>>
>>54783508
maybe he's the bad luck guy of the Cmdr set
>>
>>54783508
It's pretty hard to miss when he's front and center of literally all of them.
>>
>>54783352
I know he seems stupid but Ive seen an animated sword of the meek 5/5 but it didnt lose its equipment type or activated ability
>>
>>54783705
I decided to look into it now that you mentioned it, and it seems the hunch I had was right.

>>54752424
To answer your question anon:

Equipment that is animated becomes de-equipped from anything it is currently equipped to. It does not lose it's ability, but the equip fails when it resolves.

So yes, you can attempt to equip (paying the cost ect) to any legal target (even itself) but the ability fizzles.
>>
>>54768035
I don't see mental missstep getting unbanned ever. It counters a massive chunk of modern cards, can be run in any deck, is the best card for dealing with itself, and on top of all of this, would be amazing in GDS.

If that card ever got unbanned, it would become the single most sought after card for modern instantly.
>>
>>54784652
Can you imagine
>turn 1 thoughtseize
>mistep opponent's serum vision/burd
>turn 2 snap mistep
>>
>>54778582
gives you a turn 1 play as well, and makes extra lions in hand curve really well on turn 2 (block/bounce etc) whereas bouncing wall is a bit clunkier.
I really like a Dawn/Dusk, im sure you have it in the 75, one mainboard might be okay but it's reallly matchup dependant so sideboard is perfectly fine.
been testing 2 hussar and it feels okay, 3 might lead to some weird hands. I wanna run 4th monument in place of a hussar but that legendary stings.. might run a sword instead for meems
>>
>>54783508
seconding >>54783672
also
>Kieban Yanker(?)
>hasn't worked for WotC before

I want to believe it's some baizou self-inserting for his/him's power fantasy.
>>
>>54784731
Can you imagine
>turn 1 thoughtseize
>oppoent misteps
>mistep his mistep
>>
>>54783508
These poses are horrifically overdone. That it's all the same character makes it feel like stock photos were used for reference.

I don't want ebin postmodernist irony in my childrens' card games.
>>
>>54783508
>Commander in the Modern thread
>DID ANYONE ELSE NOTICE?????

Back to r/Magic.
>>
>>54785185
ebin simply ebin

the worst is playing a serum visions turn1 on the play, and your landless opponent going RESPONSE with a huge boner on his face as he stops you from having fun
>>
>>54785214
what kinda artstyle u want
>abstractionist cavepaintings
>gothic grimdark
>AD&D
>8th edition p u l p
>D&D3.5
>just CGI my crawwurms up senpai
>yugioh (amonket only)
>>
File: Grixis DS.jpg-large.jpg (197KB, 1259x944px) Image search: [Google]
Grixis DS.jpg-large.jpg
197KB, 1259x944px
>>54749102
>Grixis DS
>RW Prison
>BW Humans

I would give my left nut for a zombie trex equivalent of angler in IX
>>
>>54783508
Remember when Opulent Palace was a Sultai card?
>>
>>54786843

>one-of MM street wraith
Can you fucking not
>>
>>54779053
Would you watch my gay shitbrew videos anon-kun? My voice is slightly less homosexual and more masculine than Saffron Olive's.
>>
>>54788082
You mean Seth more commonly known as SaffronOlive?
>>
Red
White
Hoomans
>>
>>54786843
I think B/W humans is a real deck. How much hand attack are you playing in yours?
>>
>>54788285
Feels like having Snapcaster would be a big deal.
>>
>>54788343
Snapcaster is a good card but hard to cast in black white
>>
>>54788386
Stop running black then.
>>
>>54788404
Are we talking about B/W or U/W because I am so confused
>>
>black
>humans
rofl
>>
File: 1502229756549.jpg (167KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1502229756549.jpg
167KB, 800x1200px
is MTGO a waste of money?
>>
>>54788610
Xathrid necromancer and bob
>>
>>54788745
i cant think of a reason to use it over xmage
>>
>>54788791
>Xathrid necromancer
Slow, useless against Path.
>Bob
Honestly, Fatal Push has turned him into a card not worth running. I've tried running him and FUCK I'm sick of him doing nothing.

Losing them for Snapcaster and something like Reflector Mage seems like a good trade.
>>
>>54779151

I have never been able to last more than five minutes into a Rudy "monologue," I don't think I've ever heard a more meandering fuckwit in front of a camera.
>>
>>54788745
>>54788821

Two reasons to use MTGO. Card redemption from latest sets and qualifying for events like PPTQ's. If you don't care about either then use xmage.
>>
>>54788821
I wish xmage had just a slightly better UI and showed where damage and shit was coming from sometimes you cant even tell whats going on with the stack because of the delay
>>
>>54760432

>banned
>stone forge mystic

Man that strikes me to my kor, i remember having that card when that set came out. Sad times
>>
All you need to do to see Stoneforge could be unbanned is look at the Legacy deck she sees play in. D&T has the best white 1-drop of all time in Mother of Runes which Modern does not, and Stoneblade is more about True-Name Nemesis than Stoneforge Mystic.
>>
>>54760432
>tron
dammit tron is good but it isnt unbeatable they just need to print better land destruction
>Street wraith
totally balanced and fits black, i dont understand why people find death's shadow so hard to deal with when fatal push exists.

>preordain
I can agree with this but perhaps tutoring even the top 2 cards before drawing is too good. Serum visions is already really efficient digging for 3 essentially while pre-ordain only digs you 2

>stoneforge
Absolutely not i was on the giving and receiving end of that card and its bad enough in equipment EDH decks
>>
File: 1501587921461.jpg (81KB, 500x522px) Image search: [Google]
1501587921461.jpg
81KB, 500x522px
>>54789041
Serum visions is bad because it replaces itself with a random card

Preordain is much better because it gives you the option of two cards vs drawing a random card, a choice you don't get with serum visions. It's better for card advantage over time assuming you don't fetch and shuffle your deck but it provides much worse card quality in comparison

just as a made-up example
>Need Bolt to win the game this turn and not lose
>hand is serum visions+2 dead cards
>cast serum visions, draw a dead card
>see bolt and another serum visions
>Lose because Blue doesn't get to be good at what it's supposed to be good at

I'm very biased but I don't think preordain would be an oppressive unban at some point. Probably not right now since GDS is the best deck though
>>
>>54787781
I'm working on it, sorry

But I do love how much it triggers people!
>>
>>54789574

It's not so much the mismatching as it is not using future sight borders whenever possible.
>>
File: stf143_blindZealot.jpg (75KB, 620x453px) Image search: [Google]
stf143_blindZealot.jpg
75KB, 620x453px
>>54785682
Ideas matter more than style. Style has very little to do with the ideas involved. Other elements do more, like poses.
>>
>>54789041

>while pre-ordain only digs you 2

What. Preordain digs the same amount as Serum Visions except Preordain can be a Serum Visions if it wants to or not.

>Absolutely not i was on the giving and receiving end of that card and its bad enough in equipment EDH decks

Stoneforge isn't going to dominate in a format where Thoughtseize, maindeck artifact/permanent/creature is rampant. There's no Daze or FoW to protect the stoneforge being cast either.
>>
>>54789372
It's always Storm that needs watching when library manipulation cantrips are available.
>>
>>54788975

>Best one drop of all time

That is NOT how you spell deathrite shaman.
>>
>>54789041

GDS is good becuase of its incredible efficiency in its solid game plan. Every card is a solid disruption or moving the beat down plan forward, and most are 1-2 cmc allowing Snap to bring tons of value even with only 3 lands in play the whole match, not to mention just casually dropping a 4+/5 on T2 if you want or a huge DS on T3 backed up by Denial and path cleared by push/terminate/etc. The deck can do so much with just 3 lands it's absurd. Only Affinty beats the raw power to mana ratio.

The reason Streetwraith might get a ban is becuase you draw a card and fill your GY for no mana. The draw back of 2 life is turned into a pseudo advantage with DS. I love the deck, really. It's a deck of crazy self synergy, crazy plays, crazy good cards, and decent all around viability vs most decks. It just maybe might be too strong for modern. I'm not entirely sure a DS ban would "kill" the deck, the rest of the shell is solid as fuck, but DS really does break it.
>>
>>54770939
>I hate sandwiches
>>
>>54772048
>doesn't watch mrs. mulligan
>her husband is 100% a cuck

you all sicken me
>>
>>54782608
Defeat is spicy tech against LotV though
>>
>>54782608
>BG infect midrange

i miss the early days of modern when mono black infect was a legitimate strategy
>>
>>54790346
You missed the most important word in that sentence, bud.
>>
>>54789819
that artist clearly has a fetish for blindfolds
not that that's bad, it's just noticeable in his work
>>
Sup modern players. Got back into MTG, haven't been playing since Oath of the Gatewatch came out. What's the new meta trends in Modern since then, and are there any new cards that could improve my Troll Worship deck?

list: http://deck (dot) tk/8zgJ2Ei6
>>
>>54793720
Know that you have to be both fast and resilient in this meta. Many decks pack lots of hand disruption (ETron, Death's Shadow) so be prepared for that and be redundant. Midrange is eclipsed by Grixis Death's Shadow, Storm is back, Titanshift (pure combo Scapeshift with outs from Prime Time) is the biggest combo deck to beat, Affinity and Burn are stronk, Hatebears are pretty relevant as are some white weenie strategies like Humans, and Elves are sorta good. Infect is fucking dead as is RGTron and Merfolk is sorta underground (water?) at the moment.
>>
>>54793787
Dang, that's a lot of decks that I have a good shot against. Just have to keep countermagic for the enchantment removal.

Bye infect, you aren't missed.

Any good new G/W/U cards that I could slot in?
>>
>>54793942
You need real inevitability, as in something that can bust through big Death's Shadow, Tasigur, an Gurmag Angler. Eldrazitron might be able to mess you up with Thought-Knot Seer and of course Karn, who just instantly nukes Worship. All is Dust also makes you instalose. Look at the meta on MTGtop8. Since you seem really squishy to ETron. Forgot to tell you that Chalice of the Void is also a thing now so you have to be prepared for it.
>>
>>54793942
Oh yeah forgot to mention UW(r) and Grixis Control are both pretty prominent. Troll Ascetic actually seems decent against both to some extent, but a Cryptic from UW can mess you up badly and Celestial Colunnade is pretty good against you.
>>
>>54794014
>Chalice
ugh.

Gavony Townships are in there as the inevitability - keep pumping a board of trolls bigger than my opponent can deal with. Sigarda and Sun Titan can also carry games on their own, and Sigarda is nice anti edict/All is Dust tech. Might slot in a 2nd Sigarda and drop the Sun Titan. I do fold to Karns and Ulamogs though, which sucks. Is there a better option for that inevitability?

I'm also looking into swapping out a Stirring Wildwoods for another Ghost Quarter, to help with Tron.
>>
>>54794102
Dispel is my protection against Cryptics, though I could probably be served by slotting in more. I didn't find any use in Runed Halo or Mark of Asylum (why do I have these, me from years ago?) so I might put in more anti-control tech.
>>
>>54794150
Don't forget that UW Control will usually run Detention Sphere. Racing with Thrun or Ascetic beats should be your main priority against them, because you won't win the long game.
>>
>>54794218
Ah, fair enough. I'm not used to other control decks existing, last time I played games were just done on turn 4 one way or the other. This was right before the Splinter Twin ban.
>>
>>54794110
>I do fold to Karns

Almost everybody folds to karn
>>
>>54794595
Yeah, that's why I don't feel too bad about not having anti-Karn measures. It's Tron, if they get to cast something big you've probably already lost.
>>
File: 97.jpg (68KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
97.jpg
68KB, 312x445px
Is Slaughter Pact good in Modern?
>>
>>54794927
It's ok in decks playing Kalitas to get immediate value out of him.
>>
>>54795226
>>
>>54795233
Meant to say new thread, but you guys probably know the drill by now.

>>54795226
>>54795226
>>54795226
Thread posts: 316
Thread images: 52

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.