[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Invisible failure rolls

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

Help a newb out here.

>players are doing a non-combat action - they are investigating to find the identity of someone
>I handle the rolls, since play-by-blog is the most convenient solution for us
>I roll failure for the investigation

How exactly do I fail an investigation? I can think of two things.

>(Your Roll)Your investigation failed - you found nothing.
or
>(No mention of any rolling taking place)You found that the person is John Smith, he lives at X and is currently expected to be at Y.

The last one is actually completely wrong and will lead the players to the wrong dude who has nothing to do with it. Also, I don't mention the failed roll since it will give the ruse away.

Which one should I do?
The ruleset is Vampire The Masquerade (simplified edition)
>>
>>54748171
go with the second but slightly hint that they are not sure.
>>
>>54748171
Depends on context. If there's reason to involve another character (i.e. some evidence at the scene or a connection to the real perp) then go for it. Having a red herring can help keep the action moving, whereas a simple "you didn't find anything" might stall things out. But remember to have it eventually connect back to what they were SUPPOSED to find. And my policy is I don't mention results of rolls at all if I don't have to
>>
>>54748171
Generally speaking, you shouldn't roll unless they can fail, and it seems like you don't think they can fail in this scenario. Personally, I'd treat it as they didn't find much before [incredibly pressing matter] comes up.
>>
>rolling for a clue vital to the plot
See, that's your first mistake

>oWoD ruleset
Annnnd that's your second
>>
>>54748171
second one has the potential to derail the game
>>
>>54748171
you can always have them find what they need but run into trouble doing it. maybe they make too much noise, maybe they cause too much of a mess (and someone will know they were there), maybe they take too long and someone comes along.

though that assumes they're somewhere they're not supposed to be, i suppose.

i wouldn't give them a misleading clue though - at least, not on its own. they could find more clues than they expected, clues that point both to the actual guy and one or more potential others. that way they'll get there eventually whatever happens.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.