[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What system would be good for running a Super Sentai/tokusatsu game?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: maskman.png (623KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
maskman.png
623KB, 800x600px
What system would be good for running a Super Sentai/tokusatsu game?
>>
>>54745816
Depends on what you want.

Sentai teams had been covered a ridiculous amount of themes, from ninjas, construction workers, magicians, treasure hunters, etc...

I think there's a super sentai PbtA if you just want to focus on the purest essence of the genre.
>>
>>54745816
GURPS
>>
If the game is supposedly based on anything like your pic related, make sure the system is completely fucking gay
>>
>>54748658
>want to focus on the purest essence of the genre

Yeah, pretty much I guess. I'd rather my players try to think of a theme for the team.

>>54748806
I know absolutely nothing about GURPS, is it too hard to learn?

>>54749008
Thanks?
>>
>>54749272
>I know absolutely nothing about GURPS, is it too hard to learn?
Nah. GURPS Lite has most of the rules you need to know to play in 32 pages, but I would suggest not using it for a serious game, just because you're quickly going to run into gray areas that the rules don't cover, or only partially cover (magic is a huge one, guns and grappling are others). It's great for knowing enough to play as a player, which is who it's made for. GMs should read Basic Set (Characters and Campaigns) after reading Lite.

Be aware that, by default, GURPS is crunchy and semi-realistic. You can quickly dial it back by using Wildcard Skills (think of them like Fate Aspects) and using cinematic rules (Flesh Wounds comes to mind as a good one, as does Melee Etiquette for mooks to fight you one on one).

What sort of tokusatsu game do you want to run? That's very important for any recommendations I can make.
>>
Gonna recommend Strike!, which is gamist with a pinch of narrativist, to counterbalance the detailed simulationist GURPS.

It does Sentai pretty well, since it separates building the "normal" and the "combat" part of your character by default, and combat supports/expects throwing a bunch of mooks around. The Roles in core can be even analogous to the "colors", when you think about it.

Its also not very serious, which I think fits the theme.
>>
>>54748806
Is there anything GURPS can't do?
>>
>>54749435
>GURPS
I see, I'll try to look into some PDFs, thank you.

>What sort of tokusatsu game do you want to run?
It'd either be something akin to a regular Sentai (as in, a group of heroes working together). Although I did consider some alternatives, the fact that my players would just end up acting as a team would just end up making it look like a Sentai.

>>54749563
I'll look into that as well, thank you.
>>
>>54749645
>I'll look into that as well, thank you.

Here, let me get you started:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a1i5mhmasq77iqm/Strike%20Books.zip?dl=0

Just to give more info, it's using a grid based tactical combat thing for its "normal" fights, which may or may not be what you are looking for.

You can probably handle the "combined robot VS giant monster" fights as a Team Challenge, probably works better than 1v1 fights; Strike! thrives on team play and positioning, and 1v1 kinda removes that.
>>
>>54749623
Be popular.

More seriously, I struggle to think of anything it can't do. It can do anything realistic from any time period, it can do any action movie, it can do a lot of fantasy, it can do any cyberpunk (even "cyberpunk" like Shadowrun), it can do supers, it can do space. It can do the hell out of all of the above. It can even do saturday morning cartoon ass-pulls that people normally would associate with narrativist systems like Fate.

Where it struggles are unlimited abilities ("I'm invulnerable to everything!) because unlimited abilities cost unlimited points. It also doesn't copy quirky mechanics from other systems too well, like you'll never get Legend of the Wulin's shit working in GURPS without tearing your hair out and wishing you were playing LotW instead. And while you can reduce the differences between a sword and an axe to nothing, it really is the system you run where you want those differences to be meaningfully reflected in the mechanics.

>>54749645
>>54725437 OP has all the stuff you need to get started. I suggest asking the thread over there for more help with Sentai, since most of what I know comes from Power Rangers and a few Kamen Rider shows I never finished. If GURPS looks to be too much, there's always Savage Worlds + Supers Companion for the odd ability. Probably start them off at Seasoned.
>>
>>54745816
Hero/Champions.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.