[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 365
Thread images: 47

File: leonardo-dleoblack-wizard-sample.jpg (623KB, 1920x1316px) Image search: [Google]
leonardo-dleoblack-wizard-sample.jpg
623KB, 1920x1316px
>Unearthed Arcana: Greyhawk Initiative:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAGreyhawkInitiative.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
>>54735968

What's the best thing you can fight in a city's streets?
>>
>>54745623
Giants.
It's just like fighting a human but huge, so the environment can be used and come into play in ways that normally you do not associate with street fights.
>>
File: SS13 noir poster.png (1MB, 1100x1650px) Image search: [Google]
SS13 noir poster.png
1MB, 1100x1650px
>>54745623
A cult that's attempting a hostile takeover of the city. While playing as a city guard.
>>
>>54745651
Eren pls go
>>
>>54745623
Anything that isn't assassins or thugs. It's always assassins or thugs.
>>
>>54745623
A evocation wizard whos also a serial killer whos quite fond of Glyph of Warding
>>
>>54745623
The predator from Predator 2.
>>
My character in an upcoming campaign is an octogenarian Rogue with a "live like you were dying (because you are)" attitude.

Should I do as the PHB suggests and dump STR and CON, and even trim DEX just a bit, to reflect his old age? Or would that be going too far for the sake of roleplay?
>>
>>54745623

Giant alligator crawling out of the sewer.
Swarm of pigeons.
A pickpocket that must be chased through crowds and over rooftops to confront.
>>
>>54745623
There's more art of that one tiefling lady? Why does she look surprised her hand is on fire?
>>
>>54745836
Also, what is that guy with the spiked club in the background doing? And who is fighting whom?
>>
File: shit_explosion_gif.gif (16KB, 71x100px) Image search: [Google]
shit_explosion_gif.gif
16KB, 71x100px
>>54745836
>Wait a second... this isn't the Mage Armor sp-OH SHIT
>>
>>54745836
First time she rolled 7-8 on wild magic and she has no idea what's coming up next
>>
How do I go about making custom background? I want to make Half-Orc Barb of Ancestral Guardian. I'm thinking of giving him ability to reroll wisdom or intelligence ability checks twice/thrice a day accepting second result, as in he asks spirits for advice. He still would most likely dump those two (maybe get something in wis, though there's dex, con and str), and it's for non-combat only, so it wouldn't be that bad, right?
>>
Would the Monster Hunter Fighter archetype from Gothic Heroes work for a Simon Belmont type character?
>>
>>54745919
Backgrounds shouldn't affect rolls. It would be something more along the lines of 'You can spend [amount of time] doing a ritual to commune with spirits of your ancestors for advice'
I'd imagine it would work like the sage background. Sometimes you get info, sometimes you don't.
>>
>>54745919
Ancestral Guardian used to have this as a level 10 ability. Advantage on an Int or Wis check 3 times a day. It was replaced by a free Clairvoyance spell once per short rest. If you want it to be a background feature I'd probably cut it down to once per day and do what you said where he has to take the second roll even if it is worse.

>>54745944
Yeah, if you wanted. There's a Monster Slayer Ranger archetype also that might work better for you.
>>
>>54745944
I have a feeling that's literally what it's for.
>>
>>54745836
>There's more art of that one tiefling lady?
Watch, this "Brimstone Angel" asshole is going to be the next Drizz't
>>
>>54746022
Kay, so one per day is more in line. Yeah, accepting reroll works as downside and fluff-wise (he has no reason to doubt spirits).
>>54746018
Make it proficiency? I'm brainstorming for ideas to give him some help in peaceful interactions.
>>
>>54746022
I've never played either. What's the difference between them?
>>
>>54745623
A bulette.

Its burrowing gives it the sneakiness of >>54745772
Its maw gives it the crushing power of >>54745806
People can worship it bringing >>54745656 into the mix
And of course as it moves in three dimensions and can leap it brings environmental elements that >>54745651 thinks about.
>>
>>54746067
You already get two proficiencies from a background. You should get;
>2 skills
>2 languages or tools, 1 of each, or 1 exotic language
>A ribbon ability of a similar level to other backgrounds
>>
File: Joy.png (1KB, 144x144px) Image search: [Google]
Joy.png
1KB, 144x144px
>>54745623
Anyone play Lisa the Painful RPG? How would you stat this drug?
>>
>>54746040
Well I suppose they can't stop until they make an entire party of edgelords.
>>
Predictions for today's disappointment?

Guessing something pointless like UA- Alternative AC, which is 9 times more complicated than normal while also still managing to be objectively shittier.
>>
File: food.jpg (176KB, 900x623px) Image search: [Google]
food.jpg
176KB, 900x623px
>>54746272
You know it's coming, anon.
>>
>>54746280
Would be better than last months
>>
>>54746179
I did
If you want to make it like the RPG just make it so it fully heals the user and makes any damage they deal doubled for a minute or so.
Once you take it and you die, you instead turn into a joy mutant that attacks everyone near by.
>>
File: Pacha.jpg (7KB, 250x236px) Image search: [Google]
Pacha.jpg
7KB, 250x236px
>>54746280
Wouldn't even be mad. More reason to know what the local cuisine is like. You can put a lot into a setting just from the food that's available and how it's prepared.
>>
>>54746338
Would you make it auto crits on a hit or just double damage? What about Withdrawl symptoms?
>>
>>54746280
At least it'd be fucking used, grey hawk initiative is unneeded because regular initiative makes enough sense.
>>
>Never do more than 2 combats per session because it just eats too much of session time
>Local DMs hate him: See how this Aasimar Vengeance Paladin destroys everything!

I don't want to ruin the experience for him, but I've had a lot of trouble finding ways to challenge the party in combat because he has such a powerful presence in non-multiple combat scenarios.
>>
>>54746429
Have you considered not always ending the session with a long rest?
>>
>>54746429
Does every session end with a long rest or something? My last 3 sessions have had 2 short rests and no long rests, all in the same dungeon
>>
>>54746380
You can crit while under the effects of joy in Lisa the Joyful, so just double damage.
>withdrawal
Oh god, withdrawal is incredibly nasty in painful
>http://lisa-rpg.wikia.com/wiki/Withdrawal#Withdrawal
>Attack - 90%. Defence - 50%. Agility - 60%. Max HP - 30%. Luck - 30%. Evasion - 60%. Agility - 1. Hit Rate - 80%.
It would fuck with their hit point maximum, AC (if using unarmored/light/medium armor), to hit, damage, saves, and initiative.
You could probably make it so it's like having 4 levels of exhaustion, which is
>disadvantage on ability checks
>speed halved
>disadvantage on attack rolls+saves
>hit point maximum halved
Add on all saves you force targets to make are made with advantage because unfocused, maybe make it so HP maximum is just reduced to 66% instead of the full 50%, and advantage on attack rolls against the consumer,

Also buff joy a little more, make it so it gives AC/Save bonuses because that's what it does in game apparently.
>>
File: UAThreeSubclasses.pdf (75KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
UAThreeSubclasses.pdf
75KB, 1x1px
>>54746104
They do mostly the same thing. I like the Ranger more for the aesthetic. Favored Enemy bonuses and such.
>>
>>54746473
Okay, this is great! Thanks.
>>
Wanna play an immortal mystic obsessed with the pursuit of physical mental and martial perfection.
>>
>>54746680
Okay.
>>
>>54746680
Thanks for letting us know.
>>
>>54746680
No. You will play a wizard and you will like it.
>>
>>54746680
That's nice.
>>
>>54746680
One Human Monk with 14 in every stat coming right up.
>>
>>54746152
>>54746067
Knowledge of burial customs and related stuff? Character knows if a grave has been desecrated, how long someone has been dead, how to properly bury someone (how would that work with different cultures though?) Background would be a social/spiritual leader in tribal society. I guess Religion proficiency would work best for the spiritual side?
I can always just try to talk GM into free reroll as a path feature. We already have Gunslinger who may take Vampire for multiclassing.
>>
Is there a God/Goddess related to or has ideals in purity/virginity?
>>
>>54746799
Virginity is a sexist social construct and has no place in modern DnD.
>>
Also on the subject of Ancestral Barb, someone mentioned to me in some thread that Ancestral perks apply to you too, not just to your allies, but there's no wording to support that. So who's right?
>>
>>54746799
Jesus.
>>
>>54746826
Spirit Shield and Vengeful Ancestors does, but Protectors doesn't.
>>
>>54746907
Yeah, those two. Was it answered somewhere?
>>
>>54746920
>If you are raging and a creature you can see within 30 feet of you takes damage
You are a creature you can see within 30 feet of you.
https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/859555831808892928
>>
>>54746809
Go back to /leftypol/ you cuck
>>
Of the standard races from the PH, which ones make most sense as druids, which ones make least?
>>
>>54746959
Thanks.
>>
>>54746981
Sense mechanically for thematically?
>>
>>54746981
>Most
Human

>Least
Human
>>
>>54746963
Learn to reconize when someone is being facetious, man.
>>
File: Circle of Dreams confirmed.jpg (41KB, 598x299px) Image search: [Google]
Circle of Dreams confirmed.jpg
41KB, 598x299px
So, which other archetypes are confirmed for XGE?

>cavalier
>inquisitive
>the horizon walker
>circle of dreams
>ancestral guardian
>>
File: 1501456434252.png (271KB, 407x439px) Image search: [Google]
1501456434252.png
271KB, 407x439px
I have a story of salt I would like to share

>playing token human deep stalker covenant ranger with a dragonborn fighter, half elf favored soul, and tiefling warlock
>fighter is bitching that he is a level behind he is lvl 6 and everyone else is 7 because he missed a session and gave nobody his character sheet
>quest to go in a cave to do adventuring things
>fighter keeps bitching that every creature targets him as he does battle master goading attack on everything in sight and complains that he gets hit with an AC of 17 he's using a greatsword with scale mail at 14 dex
>get where we need with no difficulty and the DM decides to throw a Behir guarding the treasure
>instantly 1 rounds the warlock who was slightly injured and the fact we are still lvl 7
>go on my initiative and get in good dmg
>fighter keeps moaning that this thing will hit him regardless of anything
>fighter gets swallowed and starts to attack from within thinking he can use his charger feat and greatsword without disadvantage
>ends up going unconscious with me and favored soul managing to finish it off at about half hp each
>only 1 diamond for revify available but the warlock player tells us to use it on the fighter as he was in the midst of making a new character anyways
>fighter metagames and says to let him die and tells everyone it is bullshit that a "tank" character should get hit and ragequits
>>
>>54747202
>Shitty version of battlemaster makes it into the new splat
>Knight with it's marking mechanics doesn't
Feels bad man
>>
>>54746246
>edgelords
Yeah, I don't think you understand what this word means.
>>
>>54747212
>and ragequits
the best possible outcome.
>>
>>54747202
How can they make Horizon walker better or cooler? Personally i think the third attack could be a lvl 7 feature, you need three enemies and cant nova with it anyway.
>>
Anyone have suggestions for how to run a centaur ambush in the middle of a forest?
>>
>>54747218
I think it will be there anon, maybe we even get a revision today
>>
>>54747273
something something horsecock something something rape
>>
>>54747341
this
>>
>>54747218
We know cavalier is in. We can guess arcane archer is too. We can guess Sharpshooter isn't, since it was least liked. That leaves room for at least one more.
>>
>>54747014
Thematically.
>>
>>54747451
Best: Wood Elf
Worst: Tiefling
>>
>>54747539
>Worst: Tiefling
Well they have horns already.
>>
My current game will be going on hiatus soon due to the DM's schedule and one of the other players will be starting a new game in the same universe. I'm hoping to do something different from the kind of things I would typically gravitate towards. Currently leaning towards a Warlock (Great Old One patron/Tome Pact), but I don't want to go the Cthulu/insane dude route with this. Any suggestions? Will probably end up using a Human (Variant) or Half-Elf as I'm only really familiar with the PHB stuff. Are there other races out there that may fit well for this?

Also curious: Does the creature I communicate with via the Awakened Mind feature know it's me?
>>
>>54747552
Protip: Ctrl + S for spoilers
>>
>>54747552
Ya fucked it up again, senpai.
Use ctrl+s
>>
>>54747202
Storm Ranger and Forge Cleric
>>
>>54747584
I did, that's what my phone gave me
>>
>>54747567
Yeah, but Tiefling horns are abyssal in origin.
>>
Trying this one last time to se if reconfiguring gets my shit together

I don't even want answers any more I want a successful spoiler text post

I'm running Curse of Strahd, having already read all the module and then some , and I'm looking for advice.

One of things I could use advice on is how to manage the big number of factions that are in play, and how they interact in the background

We have thus far:
Strahd and the whole of Ravenloft
The Werewolves

Madam Eva and her tribe of Manosa Vistani
Arrugal and his tribe of Boem Vistani

The Druids and the Wildmen

The ArcanaLoth and Baba Lysaga

The Bone grinder Coven

The Wachter Estate

The League of Burgomasters

The Order of the Feather

The Abbey of Saint Markovia

The Dusk Elves

And then the free agents like Exenthar Esmeralda and Van Richten

How do I juggle all this shit? I want to have the valley really feel like a living organism
>>
>>54747594
Where is forge cleric confirmed? I hope it isn't, it's awfully boring
>>
>>54747678
Mike Mearls confirmed in an interview on YouTube.

It's okay, crafty Cleric with fire shit, like the light Cleric only more armored and a little less radiant
>>
>>54747678
You know it's one of the most liked UA, right?
>>
>>54747575
All you really need is a motive. Family farm being taken over by evil landlords, son of farmer seeks power to prevent this. Dickhead thief that just wants to make it easier to steal more and more expensive things. Got locked up for some reason and need more power to escape. Maybe you're just that "crazy old man" in town whose house the kids run past and years upon years of it has pissed you off to the point where you want there to be a reason for people to be scared.

A friend of mine likes to use a single word as the starting point of a short-term character. Pride. Spite. Revenge. Freedom. Boredom. Curiosity. So on and so forth. It works quite well for him.
>>
>>54747594
>Storm Ranger
wat
>>
>>54747678
Forge Cleric is fun as hell, I don't know what you are talking about.
>>
>>54747678
I like forge cleric. It's a melee version of light cleric with fun spells like heat metal and fabricate.
>>
File: 1500339119645.jpg (353KB, 1280x1029px) Image search: [Google]
1500339119645.jpg
353KB, 1280x1029px
>>54747539
Variant tiefling from SCAG can have
>Small horns; fangs or sharp teeth; a forked tongue; catlike eyes; six fingers on each hand
>Goatlike legs; cloven hoofs; a forked tail; leathery or scaly skin; red or dark blue skin; no shadow or reflection; or the faint smell of brimstone

I've always kinda wanted to make a Tiefling with small horns, and goat legs who just passes themself off as a satyr.
>>
>>54747661
The way one wise anon put it once, each faction should have a "face" that players interact with on regular basis. Sure, the Keepers of the Feather are supposedly a large faction, but most of the time, players will only interact with Muriel Vinshaw, and the rest is mostly in the background.
>>
New unearthed Arcana when?
>>
I'm not wanting to get into the "is it evil" argument but I would like to know if playing a necromancer in 5e is worth it.

I read the animate dead spell and it sounds like I'm stuck making skeles and zombies. Is there a way to make more interesting undead?

- Dude playing 5e for first time
>>
>>54747767
Storm Rager.my its a barbarian. my bad
>>
>>54747794
Oh hey, one of the players in my game is using that for character art. I call him the most adorable little hellspawn.
>>
>>54747816
Soon, it's only but just after 10am on the west coast.

The D&D team is likely just finishing morning meetings if not still in them and the office is taking a slow start to tasks as people are finishing their first or second cup of office coffee.

Greg and Shelley are likely finalizing this afternoon's guests for Dragon Talk. Mearls is likely glancing through his houserules for 5E and wondering which he should use for next month's UA before he just tries to pitch the whole of it as Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Next to the rest of the team.

Meanwhile someone is laying out that UA document and preparing it for the webmaster or their lowly and lonely intern to upload it to our clawing gnashing eyes. That we may descend upon it in simultaneous praise, critique, and complaint.
>>
>>54747886
Don't.
>>
File: 1500940174625.jpg (1MB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1500940174625.jpg
1MB, 1024x1024px
I need some ideas for using old gods in my campaign. I'm planning on busting them out in the very end of a long series of campaigns (my group will be level 20 at this point) but I don't know what their motivation for coming into the material realm would be. Long story short the main villain wants to summon them to fuck everyone over because hes chaotic evil (was a former PC, GOOlock to be exact) and hates everything now but I can't think of what goals the old gods are really after
>>
>>54747202
https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/871071659825872896
>In Xanathar's Guide, each class gets 2 or more subclasses. The wizard gets 1.
Barbarian: Ancestral and probably Zealot. I don't think Storm Herald tested well as cool as it was.
Cleric: Forge
Druid: Shepherd and Dreams
Fighter: Cavalier and Arcane Archer
Monk: Kensei.
Rogue: Inquisitive
Sorcerer: Favored Soul
Warlock: Celestial
>>
>>54747957

Eloquent. I eagerly await to chew this new thing with my eyes.

Also, Glorious WotC needs to maintain a proper workman's schedule: 5 AM to 6PM. Central Standard Time
>>
>>54747886
I have a house rule with my necromancer player that a la Conjure Animals, Animate Dead may combine CRs for diferent, more powerful Zombies, or divide then in order to make more numerous groups.

Because he DM's as well, I don't have to worry about fucking with the turn order forever
>>
File: Food.jpg (65KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
Food.jpg
65KB, 500x281px
Are you ready?
>>
>>54747957
Eloquent, but you know Mike is furiously typing up the UA, day of, as is customary, and they don't have interns.
>>
Hi /tg/

I had my very first game of D&D this Sunday, and I DM'ed for six friends, one of which has tried D&D before but never 5e.

I'm doing Lost Mines of Phandelver, and we managed to do almost all of the first dungeon with the goblins. I think things went well, and we had a blast. I learned that using a physical map and trying to draw was awful for me, and pretty unnecessary. Just explaining shit was a lot better, faster and smoother, but I am from Denmark and the whole feet-distance thing is confusing. Gauging distance is difficult. Do you guys have any tips?

Also, can you please pretend I am retarded and explain how magic works. Let's say somebody wants to cast Magic Missle with a lvl 1 character. What specifically do they need to roll, and what do I as the DM need to roll in turn? Magic didn't go so smooth unfortunately. Melee was ok (even if the Bugbear almost one-shot a player).

I'm reading people's tips concerning the next parts, and I'm excited to play more. Do you guys have any tips for the campaign? D&D really has great potential for fun. Several times we laughed so hard people almost cried, so I think it was success.
>>
>>54748081
If you're used to metric distances, I think the standard conversion is 5 feet to 1.5 meters.

As for spells, it depends on the spell. How to resolve one is usually all explained in the spell's description. For magic missile, the player just picks targets and rolls the d4 for damage. Each missile does that d4+1 and strikes unerringly, though the Shield spell can specifically stop it. The spellcasting chapter goes over what rules generally apply to spells, too.
>>
>>54748081
Magic Missle is one of the most complex to explain spells in the game.
It's design seems to feel like an Eldritch Blast that always hits 20,but it is in fact a fireball, in the shape of missiles, in which the enemy gets no saving throw

You roll 1d4,and that d4 is the damage that each Missle deals + 1.

So in other words, Magic Missle deals at level 1 a total damage of 3d4+3 which you can split in however many targets you like
>>
>>54748081
>Let's say somebody wants to cast Magic Missle with a lvl 1 character. What specifically do they need to roll, and what do I as the DM need to roll in turn?

Magic Missile is weird because it's one of the only spells in the game that do guaranteed damage, barring fringe events like counterspell. With MM, the caster rolls 1d4 +1. Each dart does that much damage, guaranteed (some people roll for each dart, though).

With other damaging spells, one of two things happen.

If a spell mentions a SPELL ATTACK ROLL, then the CASTER will roll a d20 and add their spellcasting ability modifer and proficiency bonus to the result. If the total matches or beats the target's AC, it hits.

If a spell mentions a SAVING THROW, then the TARGET of the spell must make a saving throw against the caster's spell save DC, which equals 8 + their spellcasting ability modifier + their proficiency bonus. Some spells have the target take half damage from the spell even if they succeed on the saving throw.
>>
>>54748081
If you're using a grid, 5 feet = 1 square. If not, it might help you to convert distances to metric. 5 feet = 1.5 meters in that case. How strict you need to be with distances will depend on how your group likes it. It's something you feel out and learn over time so don't be afraid to experiment.

As for magic, the Player's Handbook would explain spellcasting better than I can. It's chapter 11.
>>
How bad idea is it to just give the Bard the Ritual Caster (Bard) feat?

Or alternatively, a magical attuned Music Book item that does functionally the same thing?
>>
>>54748272
Very bad, bards are already very versatile
>>
>>54748195
This. Best explanation I've seen in a while.

Alo, it's normal if magic doesn't go as well as melee, it's one of the most complex things to learn in 5e, so don't worry too much if you don't get it on your first session ever.
>>
>>54748286
As opposed to the Wizard, who gets that *and* a ritual list the size of Gamorrah?
>>
File: dwarvenbanditos.jpg (262KB, 800x525px) Image search: [Google]
dwarvenbanditos.jpg
262KB, 800x525px
Thought I'd run a game for some friends with wildly different schedules. About 10% of this has gone according to plan, and that's even with my having adjusted my expectations for some wild departures from common sense.

>six man group, one player can't make it for first session, whatever
>five man party heading out west by stagecoach, come across a fucked up train track and blown up train
>fight some goblins while tracking the blood stains and drag marks, steal their pet coyote
>return to their coach to find it under attack by a giant cat thing with six legs and 10+ dwarven banditos
>everyone shoots the cat away, then the banditos rob party
>paladin challenges bandito leader to a duel at sun up, which he accepts

>three party members split off to track the banditos to their lair and steal their shit back
>sneaking mission through a ravine, don't notice they're being stalked by the giant cat
>find bandito lair, infiltrate, get caught in the process but manage to almost escape
>bandito leader uses secret route to get ahead of them and blasts one of them down in the tunnels, then a second who turns back to save them
>third guy gets away but is picked up outside in the dark because he's got no way of seeing shit
>imprisoned in a cell with some guy shackled to a wall

>wall guy happens to be sixth group member who, in a solo session, was on the train that got buttfucked
>was transporting mysterious cargo which was revealed to be the giant cat thing
>cat thing was busted out by some creepy guys who failed to contain it and had to run away, giving party member a chance to escape as well while it feasted on all the other guards
>party member made careful note of the robbers' appearances but hasn't mentioned them to the party yet, or they'd realize that three of the party have a connection to a different member of the robbers
>>
UA when?
>>
>>54748323
But that's wizard's niche, or are you giving wizards "Wizardic" Inspiration and spells from any list?

Besides, Bards are considered one of the most powerful classes in the game, saying "but wizards are powerful too!" doesn't change that, there is no reason to buff this class
>>
File: harbingersden.jpg (241KB, 1600x1035px) Image search: [Google]
harbingersden.jpg
241KB, 1600x1035px
>>54748345
>paladin gets up bright and early for his duel with bandito leader, accompanied by remaining un-captured party member
>gunned down in one round and captured
>on the way back, banditos + captured party member (and fifth guy tracking them) run into the cat thing
>cat nearly kills several of them and flees again into bandito cave
>paladin and banditos bond; will work together to kill the cat, and one party member will be freed for every blow against it the paladin strikes

>they chase the cat into the bandito lair and all the imprisoned players get control of some banditos to fight this cat as it bounces around and tears shit up
>thing has seriously taken 600+ damage over all these sessions but it's been regenerating hyper-quick between all the fights
>imprisoned party breaks open the clock on their cell (put there to tick incessantly as audible torture) and use its mechanisms to pick the shackles on train-member
>break the interviewer's chair, tie some shirts together, and use it to hook a crate beyond the bars
>recover train-member's gun
>he's a gunsorcerer
>acid chromatic orbs the mechanisms of the door and the party busts out
>banditos and other two party members fighting this giant cat thing
>party decides to sneak away in the confusion and let the banditos handle or die to this
>paladin isn't aware of this due to having already chased after it out of earshot; party abandons him and heads back to town
>>
>>54747957

Eloquent. It is a shame, however, that WotC, and by extension Mearls, have such poor time management skills. I hope that they will release the UA in a timely manner and refrain from disappointing us as they have in the past.
>>
>>54748066
>>54748017
9 to 5 seems sane if not standard for an office job, though I imagine some of them never truly stop their creative or design work. This is the kind of job that invades the rest of your life I imagine.

Also, thank you both for thinking my extrapolation eloquent.

Let's make a prediction now. I am willing to wager that we'll see another subsystem today; setting specific at that. A martial arts system if it's the return of Oriental Adventures, Weapon/Armor Breakage if Dark Sun.
>>
>>54748398
And thank you for thinking the same, friend, of my extrapolation.
>>
File: wildwestcthulhu.jpg (387KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
wildwestcthulhu.jpg
387KB, 1920x1080px
>>54748390
>penniless party pawns possessions, parlays preacher-PC's prior personage into provisions
>splits again, two by horseback, three on foot to a city ~160 miles away
>three on-foot members are left in the dust, encounter a dwarf whose well struck moonshine
>get shot at by rancher brothers trying to Scooby Doo villain the dwarf away and investigate
>find cellar of razed fort near dwarf's shack; his pump pipe pierced left-behind liquor barrel
>attacked by a whopping three spiders and nearly TPKed
>quietly don't bring out the boss spider because holy shit how do you not roll higher than 10 for three rounds straight

>paladin still stuck in a bandito cave with a mutant death cat and no clue where the fuck his companions are
I think I'm just running three campaigns now.
>>
>>54748345
>dwarven banditos

haha omg so original
>>
>>54747957
>Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Nex
Today's UA is an alternate THAC0 system for 5E. Watch for this.
>>
>>54748372
Your argument is good, but what keeps me not fully convinced is that
1) Bards rituals cap at a couple of 3rd level ones, like Feign Death
2) Magical Secrets are used to get Wizard spells anyway
3) The Bard is the only ritual Caster class that *can't * do this anyway
>>
>>54748439
>human knights
>elven archers
>bandits of any race
>>
>>54745753
Shit, that's a good idea.

Break into people's houses while they're out for the day, be serial killer-y by wearing their clothes, using seeming to act like them, etc etc.

Then glyph of warding on their sheets so when they go to bed at night, BOOM.
>>
>>54748413

In my heart of hearts, I want a revised Artificer since i'm finding mine lackluster.

Realistically, I'm calling it now: Character backstory mechanics for playing at higher levels, or Spelljammer.

Sub-question: What thing do you want to see that you know you'll never, ever see from UA or official?

For me it'd be Jakandor getting an update, or simple Birthright style domain rules.
>>
>>54748591
Revised Bard subclasses.

I want to give more feedback Damn it
>>
File: hollowworld.jpg (3MB, 1362x1706px) Image search: [Google]
hollowworld.jpg
3MB, 1362x1706px
>>54748591
>>
>>54748423
Struck moonshine. Wow, that's dumb
>>
>>54748591
Actually I wouldn't rule Birthright out, given that we have seen some mass combat rules for medium and large scales of engagement.

That said, I imagine we'll never again see Unearthed Arcana dealing with another crack at Incarnum and I would like to see that as it was among my favorite little red headed stepchild of the edition I came into the game with.

Also, I would love to see another exploration of Ghostwalk, but they'll never touch the first new setting of 3rd edition either I would wager.
>>
>>54748345
>>54748390
>>54748423
How does an Old West-style game play in this system?
>>
>>54748654

True story, when I taught my nephew to play D&D, that box set was what I used. Mix it with Thunder Rift and Glantri, and you have a REALLY good pulp setting
>>
https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/894403431602966528

This is the only real hint we have of today's UA. Only polls in recent memory he's run are related to a tortle player race (which Perkins has said will be released for free alongside ToA) and a revision of druid focused on shapeshifting instead of spellcasting.
>>
>>54748591
>>54748665
Follow up, the second crack at Artificer best be a half caster with some class specific spells. Also with mechanical servant relegated to a subclass, while slightly altered versions of Find Familiar and Find Steed make their way onto their spell list and ritual list.

Some spells that come to mind for the class are things like Blast Rod, that spell that makes a potion from the last low level magic UA, and the return of a setting specific spell like Khyber Trap.
>>
>>54748694
I'm doin a LMoP Old-West adaptation like everyone suggests, and it works pretty well with proper themeing. Make horses interesting
>>
>>54748715
Curious, though Loooong time ago could harken back as far as 2015 when 5E was first released.
>>
>>54748715
>druid focused on shapeshifting instead of spellcasting
I think the other way 'round would be interesting: a pure spellcasting druid. Ditch wild shape for a massively expanded spell list and prepared spells per day.
>>
>>54748665

>Incarnum
Totemist when, Anon? Totemist when?

Concerning Ghostwalk, I know /5eg/ memes about homebrew, but there's a race floating around called the Manifest, and I think with a bit of tender love and polish, it could be the start of something good.
>>
>>54748694
So far it's been fine, but the party's only level two and has been stumbling into situations, not setting things up themselves. I'd wager there might be some real problems if you let the party have easy access to explosives or if they start cheesing guns, but there's a few ways around that.

Either don't have explosives in your setting, or limit their power to historical accuracy. Early explosives weren't fantastic: TNT was only invented at the outset of the Wild West, on another continent, and took some time getting all the way over to cowboyland. Miners and earthmovers were using much more dangerous compounds, like fulminated mercury or nitroglycerin; stuff any sane party wouldn't want bouncing around in a backpack anywhere near them. Gunpowder also doesn't explode, it just burns quickly; you need containment to get a bang, or obscene quantities.

As for guns, the ones in my setting are magical gun-likes, not actual black powder pistols. They have parity with conventional ranged weapons (a pistol is basically a hand crossbow) and everything's range was brought down a bit so the best place for the "archer" to be isn't 100 feet off the side of the map.
>>
http://www.dndbeyond.com/pricing-details

Is goyim going to suscribe to D&D beyond??

Only $54.99 a year and $29.99 a book.
>>
>>54748591
>Sub-question: What thing do you want to see that you know you'll never, ever see from UA or official?
Mathematical guidlines for creating new character options. Something as detailed as the monster building guidlines in the DMG.
>>
>>54748830
Very unlikely to sub, but I plan on grabbing ToA on it since I don't have a use for the book. Hi-res maps + art alongside the content is gonna be pretty good, no longer need to track down the artists to get those for use in other VTTs.
>>
>>54748830
This poor Jew but wishes he were a wealthy enough man to afford this, however Inwouls not if I were because I do not find sufficient value in D&D Beyond's service to invest in it.
>>
>>54748724
>>54748828
Oh, yeah. Horses are another potential problem if the party insists on everyone being mounted at all times.

Lots of indoor stuff or remembering that horses are little fucking bitches and will run scared from just about anything, whether or not you're on it. Better be real great at Animal Handling the first time a Desert Owlbear drops in on your party or someone starts slinging Fireballs or Lightning Bolts.
>>
>>54748828
Sounds neat. Any specific notes to share?
>>
>>54748812
Manifest you say? Do you know where about it has been floating about? Because as I think about it, incorporeal things aren't as crazy as they were in previous editions.
>>
what's your take on DMPCs? Are they a good way for the DM to enjoy the game and progress the story or are they an excuse for the DM to control how the game is played?
>>
>>54748830
Nah.

I'm cheap, and I'm not paying for something that stops being around when I stop paying for it.
>>
File: ghostfap1.jpg (336KB, 1280x1656px) Image search: [Google]
ghostfap1.jpg
336KB, 1280x1656px
>>54748900
I got you senpai.
>>
Would Skulker or Martial Adept (for Disarming and Distracting Strike) be better picks for a Variant Human Rogue's starting feat?
>>
>>54748927
http://theangrygm.com/here-comes-tagalong/

In other words, if done correctly, they can be awesome.
>>
File: ghostfap2.jpg (446KB, 1280x1656px) Image search: [Google]
ghostfap2.jpg
446KB, 1280x1656px
>>54748900
>>54748966

2/3
>>
Where's the line between too much keeping track of encumbrance, and your players comically carrying pages worth of items?
>>
File: ghostfap3.jpg (432KB, 1280x1656px) Image search: [Google]
ghostfap3.jpg
432KB, 1280x1656px
>>54748900
>>54748966
>>54748988

3/3
>>
>>54748794

So they'd just be "wizards but some spells are different."
>>
>>54748988
>>54748966
Thank you much anon. Thank you very much. Now to crib some ideas from this with a good sit down whilst we wait for Unearthed Arcana...

Though now stepping back a few topics while we wait, how would any of you imagine implementing something like Incarnum in this edition?
>>
>>54748448
However you should also consider.
1) Magical Secret shouldn't be used to get wizard spells only. While wizards have nice rituals and counterspell, bards never get arcane recovery and can't play control/blaster nearly as well so they are better with concentration spell like Aura of Vitality and spirit guardians that conserve slots.
2) Giving them the ability to learn bard rituals won't do shit unless you actively toss them scrolls.
>>
WHERE IS THE UA?
>>
File: 1491389486183.png (48KB, 583x342px) Image search: [Google]
1491389486183.png
48KB, 583x342px
>>54746280
>>54746296
>>54746366
>>54746382
>>54748053
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>54749013
When you put it that, yeah.

Nevermind, dumb idea.
>>
>>54748877
Sit down and figure out the pricing for various services and forms of transport. You can port over gold pieces as dollars or something easily enough, but it would help to have some idea of how much it costs to charter various forms of transportation, given how ubiquitous they are compared to medieval D&D. The books have stuff about hiring a wagonmaster, but that's in ye olden dirt times where you could wave 15 gold at some guy and he'd drop everything to cart your ass halfway across the continent because that's more money than his family makes in a year. The West has numerous companies whose sole purpose is to load 4-6 people into a coach and take them from rest stop to rest stop; stage lines are way faster than the usual D&D travel, and that's before you even get to trains.

I'd also come up with an explanation for why armor and melee weapons continue to exist in your setting. You might even want to modify armor entirely, such that things like plate armor no longer exist, but near-period equivalents have taken their place in the scale of protection (a proofed breastplate having 18 AC, for example). Al-Qadim did something kind of like this, since it seemed silly for everyone to run around in the desert in heavy armor.
For my setting, there was some pretty rapid technological progress, so there hasn't been enough time for stuff like swords or heavy armor to fall by the wayside completely. The basically skipped the whole pike-and-shot phase and went straight from "crossbows are pretty neat" to "check out these revolvers" in ~70 years, because magic and looted knowledge.

Get your mount rules sorted and modify / simplify them if you think they're going to be very prevalent.

Figure out how you'd challenge a party that just wants to use guns and back away every round.
>>
>>54749119
Make it so.
>>
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/June5UA_RevisedClassOptv1.pdf
It's out, lads
>>
File: received_1454973731255759.png (10KB, 1195x504px) Image search: [Google]
received_1454973731255759.png
10KB, 1195x504px
The Red Rogue is hiding in complete darkness from the Blue Bugbear, who is holding a torch, which surrounds him in bright light and a ring of dim light.

1) The Red Rogue does not have darkvision. Can the Red Rogue see the Blue Bugbear?

2) The Red Rogue does not have darkvision. The Red Rogue fires an arrow at the Blue Bugbear. Does the Red Rogue have advantage on their attack roll against the Blue Bugbear in this scenario?
>>
>>54749327
Interesting to see that they've already reversed their previous reversal on invocations. Keeping them un-tied to specific weapon types but returning their previous power and utility was a good move.
>>
>>54749327
>June5UA

>June 5

Yeah I saw that moron post on /r/dndnext too.

Difference is I know today isn't June 5th.
>>
File: thonkat.png (13KB, 136x97px) Image search: [Google]
thonkat.png
13KB, 136x97px
>>54749343
>It's late at night and there's a street lamp on the corner. Can you see what's in the street lamp's light?
Really makes you think.
>>
>>54749379

RAW, being in complete darkness yourself counts as being unable to see in/through it, even if a distant target is in bright light.
>>
>>54749343
Of course he does.
>It's not magical darkness
>If you're standing in darkness, you can still see light
>The bugbear, presuming it doesn't have low-light/darkvision, doesn't see him because he's carrying a light
>>
>>54749343
Relative us as a static observer, the Rogue is moving fast enough away from us to redshift, while the Bugbear is approaching fast enough to blueshift, meaning their speed and heading relative to each other is such that the Rogue and his bow are already certainly out of range of the Bugbear (disadvantage), but also moving so quickly apart that his arrow would never reach the Bugbear--even in a vacuum.

So the Rogue cannot attack the Bugbear at all. Both combatants, however, are already dead. Their extreme acceleration has not only liquefied their insides, but compressed the air in front of them so fast that they've exploded into a nuclear fireball and irradiated everything within half a mile and nearly blinded and deafened even those who escape the fireball.
>>
>>54749406
Errata.
>A heavily obscured area doesn’t blind you, but you are effectively blinded when you try to see something obscured by it.
>>
>>54747273
>>54747341
>>54747405
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2dJ-JUzhVs
>>
>>54749406
In that kind of case RAW means shit. Basic common sense regarding lighting shouldn't be ruled over by mechanics. And it was errata'd >>54749434
>>
>>54749434

Alright, excellent. I wasn't aware of the errata.
>>
File: Deep in the Purple Worm.jpg (185KB, 500x731px) Image search: [Google]
Deep in the Purple Worm.jpg
185KB, 500x731px
DMing for a convention in a month.

Any tips? I'm trying to find ideas, materials, tips... I'm finding shit so far.
>>
File: wizards only, fools.png (214KB, 640x351px) Image search: [Google]
wizards only, fools.png
214KB, 640x351px
Pitch me some 'archetypal' wizards for the the schools of Arcane magic,
I ask because I plan on running my next campaign in Mystara (specifically, Karameikos) and it's just classic enough and my players are new enough to enjoy some old clichés like flame-haired pyromancers or wise old Yen Sid Alter/Conj masters.
>>
>>54749509
Transmutation wizard who's appearance slowly changes every time they're seen. First meeting, maybe they have pointed ears and blonde hair. Second meeting, "normal" ears and brown-blonde hair. Or alternatively they could be relatively tame, but with eyes that change color corresponding to emotions?

Enchantment wizard could vary between relatively normal-looking and a paragon of beauty

Illusion might wear some kind of mask at all times, to keep up an air of mystery?
>>
It's out

http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/July7UA_VariantDruidv1.pdf

>tfw shapeshifter druid
>>
>>54749661
fucking got me
>>
File: 1500498965201.png (2MB, 1201x884px) Image search: [Google]
1500498965201.png
2MB, 1201x884px
>>54749661
>>
>>54749661
You fucker
>>
>>54749661
>Says July
>Is August
>Still tricks people
>>
>>54749703
Mearls said on twitter that this was going to be last month's UA, but they had to delay it as it was not ready
>>
>>54749748
So that's why they pushed out Shithawk Initiative
>>
>>54749509
A flinchy soft spoken Abjuration wizard
>>
>>54748413
>Weapon/Armor Breakage if Dark Sun.
I feel optimistic about this prediction.

>>54748591
>In my heart of hearts, I want a revised Artificer since i'm finding mine lackluster.
This would be nice, and it's something that's broadly on the agenda too. I don't think they're doing another character option yet though.

>>54748715
A long ago poll could be about settings.
>>
Regardless of our personal predictions, we can all agree that we'll likely be disappointed
>>
>>54749839
That is usually how it goes when it's month to month. When it was weekly, hot dog was that some fun
>>
>>54749791
There was a pdf of an artificer rework that was posted on here a few months ago. It looked good but I didn't get a chance to save it.
>>
>>54749839
If it's actually fucking food, I'll be delighted. I was the one who started the meme.
>>
>>54749901
Everyone will be happy if it's food. Doubly pleased if it's actually good.
>>
File: Darkhan2.jpg (157KB, 391x585px) Image search: [Google]
Darkhan2.jpg
157KB, 391x585px
>>54749633
I like the transmutation one, particularly the mood ring eyes. Added to that, maybe their hair constantly changes colors when it moves, kinda like a holographic image.
Also, I think I have an idea of what enchantment wizard based on your suggestion, pic related
>>54749769
Got a physical description in mind?
>>
>>54749921
Damn it, now I'm hungry. Fuck you guys I was planning on skipping lunch.
>>
File: solsticewizard.jpg (2MB, 1534x2100px) Image search: [Google]
solsticewizard.jpg
2MB, 1534x2100px
>>54749509
The Illusionists are preternaturally attractive. Their skin is flawless, their hair blows in non-existant wind, lyre music follows them everywhere, and songbirds land on their outstretched fingers. Wears next to nothing, but never complains about the weather. Said songbirds also dematerialize the moment no one's looking at them and their bedroom is a fucking pigsty.

Transmuters are fucking JACKED, as far as Wizards go. They're a full foot taller than everyone else and their clothing is loaded down with gemstones, filligrees of rare metals, and the linked arms of non-wizard hotties. They're too cool for school and hang out upside-down on the ceiling or have all their belongings magically float along with them. Despite this, they are notorious cheapskates and dine-and-dash constantly; their meal-time conversation centers around how amazing bismuth is and some tetra-butyl-arcano bullshit.

The Enchanters are all in jail, because they being the above two Wizards and everyone caught on. Unfortunately, the jail is also run by an Enchanter, and everyone only THINKS the Enchanters are all there.

Conjurers are lazy slobs, but inexplicably the life of the party. They've got all the snacks on call and can pull a sofa out of their ass. Funny cat videos? Nah, here's a funny cat in-real-lifeo. They are all secretly depressed because they know everyone's only using them for their magical car / teleporation and the pool inside their magnificent mansion.

Evokers are on three kinds of fire and acid at all times and everyone gives them a wide berth, when they're even let out of their dungeon. Really wants you to come down to the lake some time with him and blow shit up, but his pick-up is missing a wheel, both fenders, and is riddled in bullet holes.
>>
>Abyssal Tiefling
>Wild Magic Sorcerer
Getting a free feat at level 1. What should I grab?
>>
>>54749061
Okay but consider the following

1) Even without Arcane Recovery, Wizard spells are always autopicks Counterspell will always be picked up because Jack of All Trades and Peerless Skill applies to the check.
Same goes for Bigby's Hand, Wall of Force and Planeshift/Simulacrum/Magic Jar / w/e . All wizard spells which the Bard is uniquely set to make the most out of, or just so damned good there's no reason for you not to pick. The only exception is maybe Paladin spells like Aura of Vitality or Elemental Weapon depending on your Bard specific niche.
>>
File: wizardwithagun.jpg (119KB, 900x668px) Image search: [Google]
wizardwithagun.jpg
119KB, 900x668px
>>54749509
>>54750000
Diviners are all gibbering insane, hyper-forgetful, schizophrenic, or all three. They'll tell you your lotto numbers, but you'll get hit by the Conjurer's Summoned Corvette on the way to buy your ticket. Good friends with fellow Doomsday Prepper, the Abjurer.

That's the Abjurer, over there, in the corner, with a 30 foot dead space between himself and any other object which you just know is glistening with magical wards, rocking back and forth almost imperceptibly as he stares at everyone from behind mirrored shades. His pockets are full of sand and he's constantly wargaming about how he'd tactically disarm the nearest three people, identifying all the exits, and coming up with a plan of action in case that orc pulls an assault wand out and starts shooting.

The chain-smoking Necromancer dresses like a goth and really wants you to know that there's nothing wrong with "black magic", it's just been slandered by the "Magically Correct gatekeepers" because they're all secretly ashamed of basic human nature. He makes some good points, then segues into why pedophilia is also totally natural. Drives a hearse.
>>
>>54749959
>Added to that, maybe their hair constantly changes colors when it moves, kinda like a holographic image.
I think the other side of that idea would be more interesting, where the person looks different depending on which angle they're viewed from. Viewed head on, they have two blue eyes, viewed from the right the only visible eye is green, viewed from the left it's brown. Hair is blonde from the front, and graddually darkens as you circle around it until it's black at the back. Stuff like that.
>>
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ThreePillarXP.pdf

Out for real this time.
>>
>>54750113
>an entire month for two pages that could be replaced with "USE MILESTONES, IDIOT"
>>
>>54750113
It's shit...
>>
>>54750113
Are they serious
What the fuck is this shit
IT'S ONLY TWO PAGES
>>
>>54750113
My first impressions: It's disappointingly short and super unnecessary.

Not at all needed, XP is fine.
>>
>>54750113
>the Fighter is level 8
>the rest of the party is level 10
Great system
>>
File: 8bd.jpg (119KB, 1137x640px) Image search: [Google]
8bd.jpg
119KB, 1137x640px
>>54750113
MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEARLS
>>
>>54750113
>someone was paid real cash money to write this
>the amount of Subway sandwiches that money could buy would take longer for this entire board to consume than it did to write
>>
>>54750151
>Fighters can't role play
anon...
>>
>>54747212
>fighter whines about meta gamey stuff
>continues to whine about meta gamey stuff
>leaves because of meta gamey stuff
You should be happy Anon. Don't most resurrection spells require a willingness o the targets soul or is that something from 3. 5?
>>
>>54750113
someone with a twitter account, please tell mike to fuck himself
>>
>>54750189
>someone made this in downtime while producing that big meaty book release for November
The heart of the D&D team is like 4 people who direct or lead all the other teams. It's not like they're just sitting around for a month procrastinating or some shit.
>>
>>54750251
Last time, he summed it up and seemed rather unapologetic
>"There are people saying "I waited a whole month for this?!"
>>
>>54750113
http://www.strawpoll.me/13650835
>>
>>54750251
This, I can't even describe how mad I am right now.
>>
>>54750251
Fill in the survey next month and tell him yourself.
>>
>>54750113
Seriously though, I might use this

100 XP every level is lot easier to remember and understand.

It's easier to track this kind of experience than it is for normal exp you gain written on Monster Manual.

It rewards exploration.

It's not shitty milestone, which incentives railroading. This system is good for sandbox campaigns.
>>
>>54750269
>big meaty book release for November
You mean the one with a bunch of shit that was crapped out in UAs in previous months? Yeah, really pushing the envelope there.
>>
>>54750304
go back to twitter, mike
>>
>>54750304
Mearls, you are not convincing anyone.
>>
>>54750293
How are they even going to run a survey on this

>Question 1: On a scale of 1 to 5, how mad are you?

>Question 2: What would it take to get the death threats to stop?
>>
>>54750269
>implying
any small group of fa/tg/uys could have shat out something better than this in less than a day. Mike has no excuse
>>
>>54750113
Mearls apologist here.
I've got nothing for this one. Ya fucked up, Mike. Shit hustle, can't blame Crawford on this one.
>>
>>54750324
>>54750333
>It's trash! If you do not agree than you're shilling!
lmao
>>
>>54749748
>Delayed because it wasn't ready
>http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ThreePillarXP.pdf
Really makes you think
>>
>>54750310
>>54750353
People throw the word 'entitlement' around a lot, but hooboy, you guys are upset because the opt-in to test shit isn't DRAMATIC enough for you.
>>
>>54750369
I was talking about the new druid class, maybe it's not ready yet again
>>
>>54750384
God damnit, it's SELF-entitlement.
>>
>It's a "UA isn't options for players, so it's bad!" episode
I will be getting a lot of these from now on...
>>
>>54750418
So it is. I'll try to keep that in mind.
>>
>>54745782
It's ok if you're staying at range. The extra WIS and INT will come handy for saves and skills.
>>
>>54750464
>"Wow, this 2-page PDF sure is great! Let me call everyone out for disagreeing!"
>>
>>54750464
If you, as a DM, needed these options in this UA to be spelled out for you, you're shit. Fuck off Mike.
>>
>>54750384
It has nothing to do with it being "dramatic", it's that it's SHIT.
>>
>>54750113
Wait, so what level is each tier?
>>
>>54750113

lmao
>>
>>54750530
If I had to guess, each tier covers 5 levels.
>>
File: 1473016048119.png (447KB, 959x720px) Image search: [Google]
1473016048119.png
447KB, 959x720px
>>54750113
>>
>>54750304
It's good for breaking down exp for your own abstracted game goals to a set of numbers easy for a standard brain to understand easily, yes, even if it's to the same end as any other exp system
>>
File: tiers.png (299KB, 852x1104px) Image search: [Google]
tiers.png
299KB, 852x1104px
>>54750530
It's not like he could find any space in this TWO PAGE PDF to put the tier list from the PHB.
>>
File: jews.gif (276KB, 200x110px) Image search: [Google]
jews.gif
276KB, 200x110px
>>54750113
>>
>>54750353
Would be cool if they turned UA into a thing where they take their favorite submitted homebrews. Because at this point I'd take that over this shit
>>
>>54750666
agreed. It would be pretty simple for them to just look at a bunch of homebrew, then make it not-shit™
>>
>>54750384
People want shit that actually MATTERS to be playtested, like maybe one of the TWO ENTIRE FUCKING CLASSES that are still in the works. Not mearls telling the intern to put his half assed house rules in a pdf once a month 15 minutes before the deadline

And they say they had to push back this for 2 months because it wasn't ready
>>
File: Mike Mearls twitter.png (49KB, 595x311px) Image search: [Google]
Mike Mearls twitter.png
49KB, 595x311px
>>54750113
Mike the Kike does it again
>>
>>54750706
XGE is finished, they don't have to show how the subclasses on it are. Next book will be about subsystems, so this kind of thing (EXP, Initiative,...) is what have to be playtested now.
>>
>>54750706
>And they say they had to push back this for 2 months because it wasn't ready
Are you retarded?
>>
>>54750666
>a thing where they take their favorite submitted homebrews
They already do that in Dragon+.
>>
>>54750757
What's wrong with that image? Perfectly good sense.
>>
>>54750764
>subclasses
Anon, I mean actual classes. Mystic and Artificer.
>>
>>54750816
Complaining is the only thing /5eg/ knows
>>
>>54750530
It's outlined in the DMG and the beginning of the PHB/Basic Rules.
>>
>>54750783
Are you?
>>
>>54750816
Right? People always post that as some sort of evidence against mearls, but it's absolutely true, DM DO need to adjudicate when you can and cannot hide, I have no idea what the counter argument to that would be.
>>
>>54750829
That testing isn't going to be done through UA anymore, but by pushing updates through their DM's Guild versions. That also might not be for a good bit because they also want to see what adaptations/subclasses for them get submitted to the Guild.
>>
>>54750847
Yeah, you ARE retarded
>>
>>54750934
You done crying yet?
>>
>this isn't interesting!

If you want interesting new shit for the sake of new shit go check out people's submissions to the DM's Guild.
UA is for testing. Simply put, most game mechanics are not exciting in a vacuum no mater what system you're working with. Nobody should be surprised by this, especially after Mearls said that it's going to be all variant subsystems for a while.
>>
>>54750288
Really? Three-Pillar is worse than Greyhawk Initiative?
>>
>>54750901
Even if the classes are out, they still have plenty of stuff to work with that's not going in XGE, and tell me if you sincerely know a group that looked at greyhawk initiative or an alternate XP system and said: "we're using this". If a hypothetical published product was of the same quality as the last 2 UAs, it's doomed before it even begins. They can still "improve" on them with more UAs, but it doesn't change that they're trying to fill a niche that doesn't exist.
>>
>>54750113
>Have fellow party member pretend to be your rival
>Convince NPCs to hate your rival for 10xp each
>Rival changes their mind so they like him again for 10xp each to him
>Rinse and repeat for infinite xp

Fucking lol
>>
>>54751063
Blame reddit
>>
>>54751083
>implying that's a problem with the system and not the DM
>>
>>54751063
the problem with the three-pillar is that anyone with any experience with DMing already knows and uses a form of it. Of COURSE you reward exploration/social encounters with XP, do they really think we only reward XP from combats? Greyhawk initiative may be terrible, but it was something new.
>>
File: tumblr_inline_nc6x813VH31r8z4qq.gif (36KB, 176x200px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_nc6x813VH31r8z4qq.gif
36KB, 176x200px
>cursed items

I'm running a level 1 campaign that I expect characters to finish around level 4-5. I was thinking of adding in some cursed items they could find that wouldn't be TOO cursed. But still something they'd have to be careful with, as I'm not gonna let them remove the curses within the campaign.
Here's the ideas I have so far.

>Duelist's Bane
A +3 rapier commissioned by a noble to give him an edge in duels. It will always draw blood when swung with killing intent, however, this means if you DO miss your target, the blade will strike you instead.

>Cloak of Mind Drift
A cloak that was supposed to grant its wearer privacy from prying eyes by distracting them, and causing anyone who saw them to forget what they were doing if they fail a DC18 Perception Check. However, the cloak cannot be "turned off" once donned, and even affects the person wearing it. Even picking up the cloak is a challenge.

>Burning Spear
A regular spear that on hit, deals 1d4 fire damage. Each time you use it, roll a d20 in addition to your attack. Regardless of that outcome, if you roll less than 8 you also take 1d4 fire damage.

>Lute of Charm
A magical lute that grants +5 CHA when playing it, but anyone who hears it must pass a DC15 Charisma Saving Throw of their own, or become intensely jealous of the instrument and angry at the person playing it.

>Iron Bulwark
A magical shield that grants an extra 1 AC, but makes its wielder think they are quite invincible and reckless. Any attempts to retreat or even reposition themselves away from an enemy requires a DC17 Intelligence Saving Throw, and they may even refuse healing or aid on a DC12 Intelligence Saving Throw.
>>
>>54751164
>Duelist's Bane
>a rapier that always draws blood when swung
What if I thrust
>>
>>54751150

the greyhawk initiative was so terrible that the players in the fictional example to demonstrate it thought it was terrible. you can't get much worse than that.
>>
>>54751164
Cloak needs to have an actual effect or else they can effectively ignore it

Spear is too clunky, just have it always deal 1d4 fire to you, but deal 1d6 or 1d8 fire damage to enemy

have shield also reduce forced movement by 5ft
>>
>>54751164
hold on there, everyone is still complaining about the ua, you'll have to wait.

How bout a stone of ill luck or a berserker weapon.

https://astranauta.github.io/items.html#Stone%20of%20Ill%20Luck

https://astranauta.github.io/items.html#Berserker%20Battleaxe
>>
File: 1477076505650.png (36KB, 493x148px) Image search: [Google]
1477076505650.png
36KB, 493x148px
This seems a bit broken.
>>
>>54751150
That's not something my DM does, but his reasoning is that he doesn't give xp for social interactions because social interactions get you allies and access to their resources if you can befriend them. They're their own reward if you do them properly, and it's easier than trying to objectively say that a social interaction was some sort of win or loss.
>>
>>54751238
The cloak effect would cause its wearer to constantly forget what they were doing if they so much as saw it in the corner of their eye, and cause your party to forget you were there if they ever looked at you, unless you're all constantly passing your checks. I was also thinking it could even cause some psychic damage if you fail the rolls enough.

>>54751231
Don't be cheeky.
>>
>>54751253
Only if you let fuckers get Eldritch Blast.
>>
>>54751253

it's not really.
>>
>>54751253
>broken
That's a big claim. I wonder if you can provide good justification for it.
>>
How's this item?
>golden scarab beetle necklace that, when attuned to It, allows the carrier to speak a command word and gain +1 to AC and saving throws for 10 rounds
>Holds 1d4+1 charges

Cursed item.
>upon expending the last charge, after the effect wears off the beetle digs into the wielders skin and drains their life energy, causing them to have -1 to AC and saving throws for 24 hours
>Exact number of charges
>A remove curse spell breaks attunement, however it must have at least one charge left and not be burrowed into the skin
>>
>>54751164
>Duelist Bane
If misses automatically hit you, it's useless. If misses use the same roll result against you, it's overpowered at those levels.
The magic bonus is way too big for low levels, and I'd change miss result to taking 1 damage or something.
>Cloak
Bad wording, depending on ruling can be useless. Lol cleric forgot you were fighting and can't heal you :DDD I don't think it can be fixed without changing the concept.

>Burning Spear
Might be useless because self-harm sucks badly. Also rolling extra dice is an annoying mechanic.

>Lute of Charm
Bad wording, depending on ruling stupidly overpowered.

>Iron Bulwark
Pretty good but refusing buffs might be a deal-breaker. Nobody cares about healing until they're down and you can't refuse then.
>>
>>54751233
true, but this UA is literally nothing.
>Hey! Here's an experience system that encourages you to reward players for doing stuff you should already be rewarding them for.

>>54751273
>The cloak effect would cause its wearer to constantly forget what they were doing if they so much as saw it in the corner of their eye, and cause your party to forget you were there if they ever looked at you, unless you're all constantly passing your checks. I was also thinking it could even cause some psychic damage if you fail the rolls enough.
but what determines if they saw it?
>>
>>54751253
It's alright really, you're trying to let that character keep pace with a single class character
>>
How do you make an arcane focus interesting?
>>
File: Reaction Army Tanker Derp.png (607KB, 513x739px) Image search: [Google]
Reaction Army Tanker Derp.png
607KB, 513x739px
>>54751270
xp for social interactions that also could have been solved by fighting? Talking your way through a bandit ambush rather than fighting through it shouldn't be a negative for players.
>>
>>54751322
same way you make a component pouch interesting. By realizing it's just a mundane piece of equipment and to stop worrying about it.
>>
>>54750113
>actually wanting to make the xp system more convoluted
>actually thinking you need xp values for every aspect of exploration and social interaction

Why the fuck don't more people use the milestone system that doesn't use experience and you just level them up after X number of sessions or a major event in the campaign. Why the fuck is more math and micromanagement seen as a good thing?
>>
>>54750304
>100XP/LV
I've been doing that via homebrewed XP since 2013.
>Simplified XP Rewards, for more than just combat.
Not a bad approach. Better than the usual XP system. Sucks that there's no base XP/hour rate.
Personally I still prefer rewards for "setting goals and achieving them", shadowrun style.

All in all, I like it better than the main XP system, but less than the houserules I've come up with over the years.
>>
>>54751349
That's as far from an answer as you could possibly have managed.
>>
>>54751322

Give your character some reason to be attached to it.

My Nature Cleric has a reliquary filled with ash burned from the wood of a sacred tree of Eldath.
>>
>>54751376
it's a focus that you channel arcane energies through, what about that needs to be more interesting?
>>
>>54751374
>xp/hour for a 100xp/level system
If there's gonna be a base rate it should be per day, minimum
>>
>>54751423
This very post is proof that it needs to be more interesting.
>>
>>54751348
Oh shit, like that? I meant general city stuff like what they mentioned in the UA, talking your way out of a fight is given the same xp as killing the lot of them.
>>
File: Chibi_Genis.gif (21KB, 200x254px) Image search: [Google]
Chibi_Genis.gif
21KB, 200x254px
>>54751322
Allow unconventional focuses like the tales series does
>pic related
>Vesperia has that girl who uses a magic sash/scarf/whatever
>Kirby 64 had Adeleine who sketched monsters into being with a paintbrush and canvas
>>
>>54751315

The greyhawk initiative was almost worse than nothing.

I don't think I was prepared for how disappointing these last two months were going to be.
>>
>>54751314
>if misses automatically hit you
It does

Noted

that's the point and I agree, but I'm struggling to think of a better way to have a spear that sometimes catches on fire and hurts its wielder.

How so? It's pretty straightforward. As long as you're playing it you have +5 Cha, but anyone who hears it has to make a saving throw or become incredibly jealous and angry at you. You lose that +5 Cha bonus if you're not playing the lute, so calming down the angry crowd relies on your regular Cha checks.

And yeah, the shield is very much a "I'm invincible I don't need anyone's help" kinda curse. So no aid at all, might even cause the character to get angry if someone "steals their kill."
>>
>>54751357
Because the players don't see their progression. Granted, it's not that important, but I've played with both, and I think xp is more satisfying, even if it's only given for major events.
>>
How do we fix greyhawk initiative?
>>
>>54751448
>might even cause
that's the problem with your curses, no "mights" or "maybes" should be involved. It's a curse meant for PC's, it needs to be concrete.
>>
>>54751442
How creatively bankrupt are you that you need to come to /tg/ for ideas to make orbs, crystals, and staffs more interesting?
>>
>>54751471
Use normal initiative.
>>
>>54751471
By forgetting it even exists
>>
>>54751492
Look at that backpedal lmao
>>
>>54751509
no backpedaling, just more than one person thinks you're an idiot.
>>
>>54751509
I'm a different anon you idiot, this is my first post in this inane argument
>>
>being this mad at free stuff
Okay.
>>
>>54751471
Use normal initiative 99% of the time

Use greyhawk initiative for duels or other extremely small situations
>>
I homeruled that whenever a PC falls to 0 hit point, he immediately makes a death saving throw.

Is this a bad idea?
>>
>>54751524
>>54751526
I don't know how you could possibly backpedal harder lmao
>>
File: Low Quality Bait.jpg (16KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Low Quality Bait.jpg
16KB, 600x600px
>>54751535
>>
>>54751543
Why the rush? One turn lasts 6 seconds.
>>
>>54751426
>He runs sessions that last not only longer than 24 hours, but last multiple days straight.
Seriously? How in the hell?"
>>
File: ok.jpg (18KB, 433x106px) Image search: [Google]
ok.jpg
18KB, 433x106px
>>54751546
>>
>>54751543
>PC gets knocked down to 0>>54751543
>rolls <10 on immediate death save
>PC has next turn
>rolls 1 on death save
>dead before the corpse can exhale
Yes, that is a bad idea
>>
>>54751556
This is to nerf in-combat resurrection, especially paladin's.
>>
>>54751543
Could kill someone outright if they die in a damage area and roll a 1, but there is nothing wrong with that
>>
>>54751577
Why are you under the impression that was an accusation of samefagging? lmao
>>
>>54751570
Thought you meant in-game hours, anon
My bad
>>
>>54751584
>having characters actually die once in a while beyond level 3
>making it so healing isn't just 'wait till they drop to 0 then bonus action them over and over'
>bad idea
>>
>>54751601
because "I don't know how you could possibly backpedal harder lmao" made no fucking sense, otherwise.
>>
File: intitiativetrash.png (265KB, 680x694px) Image search: [Google]
intitiativetrash.png
265KB, 680x694px
>>54751471
like this
>>
>>54751588
It's not really a resurrection if the PC hasn't died. The way I see it, a death saving throw means he is battling to stay up. It's rare for someone to die after getting knocked out by a punch or something. Typically they fall unconscious on the ground for a bit, then they manage to come to their senses and stand back up.
>>
Just remove death saves, 0 hp? Dead
>>
>>54751619
>i'm also illiterate
lmao
>>
>>54751601
Now this is backpeddling.
You're supposed to go >HURR MS PAINT every time someone screenshots "proof" they're not samefagging, not deny you accused them in the first place
>>
>>54751448
1. Then it has extreme chance of killing the wielder, in a typical 5e fight the wielder is at huge disadvantage and would be safer just standing there, taking blows and hoping the party takes enemy out.

3. Maybe tie it to extreme ends of the attack roll? If you roll 1, 2, 19 or 20 on your attack roll, you take 1d4 damage.

4. If you allow the ruling that since lute is bard's spellcasting focus and spellcasting involves playing it, it has potential of breaking the game in two. Especially if you really mean it as +5 bonus to CHA rather than setting CHA to 20.
And the negative effect has two aspects: one is that nobody ever cares about angry peasants/they can use it in combat only, second is it either doesn't work on party (they share the lute so no jealousy or whatever) or you end up with a boring, anticlimactic self-inflicted TPK or party fracture.

5. As mentioned by >>54751486
you should be as specific with curse effects as possible. How is he angry? Maybe he inflicts disadvantage on attack rolls to any allies?
>>
>>54751615
There are better ways to do that than making a death feel cheap and shitty anon
It's not hard to have a monster smack them while they're down
>>
>>54751634
this anon gets it.
>>
>>54751605
Oh. That makes way more sense.

No, I meant real-life hours, because sometimes a session is 3 hours, and sometimes it's 11 hours. Not all sessions are created equal.
>>
>>54751634
>peddling
LMAO
>>
File: 5_warband-ransom-broker.jpg (214KB, 997x521px) Image search: [Google]
5_warband-ransom-broker.jpg
214KB, 997x521px
>>54751654

What, you've never peddled strong backs for coin, anon?
>>
>>54751631

1 failure = death but you still need 3 successes to stabilize.
>>
File: peddle.png (45KB, 754x901px) Image search: [Google]
peddle.png
45KB, 754x901px
>>54751654
>implying you weren't selling the notion that Anon was going back on his beliefs
>>
File: Damage Control.gif (2MB, 342x263px) Image search: [Google]
Damage Control.gif
2MB, 342x263px
>>54751670
>>54751691
>>
>>54750113

God help me, I like it and I'm planning to use it in my next campaign. Truly, I am lost.
>>
>>54751549
You're all acting extremely entitled, why? They're trying out new things.
>>
>>54751706
>entitlement meme
>>
>>54751063
Not so much worse as it is disappointing.
>>
>>54751706
>>54750418
>>
>>54751706
>They're trying out new things.
except for the fact that this latest one is nothing new. Oh sure they changed the xp amount rewarded and needed to level, but functionally nothing changed, it's just Reward xp for accomplishing [non-combat task], good dms have been doing that since day 1.
>>
>>54751706
Well, it's garbage. Now what?
>>
>>54751802
What's wrong with inspiration?
>>
>https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/894665319251296256
Think mike is reading us boys
>>
Tom Gielty is cool guy.
>>
>>54751834
why spend time to come up with a variant rule that doesn't actually change anything instead of coming up with something new/experimental? Shit man, even that meme food UA would have been better. Shit, what's next month going to be? A reintroduction of THAC0? DONT YOU FUCKING DARE, MEARLS!
>>
>Playing with point buy
>We are currently lvl 7 so make a LVL 7 character
>Can I roll for stats?
>No sorry, only point buy
>Player arrives to my table with rolled HP, but point buy stats
>He rolled good, 6 more HP than taking average

I technically didn't tell him not to, but isn't rolling your HP without anyone seeing the rolls a bit shady?
>>
File: 50KTWOYmS4mQ__DCWOTq2A[1].png (127KB, 872x170px) Image search: [Google]
50KTWOYmS4mQ__DCWOTq2A[1].png
127KB, 872x170px
Does this mean there will be pdfs that aren't scans?
>>
>>54751703
Eh, run your game how you like.

I can see that it might be all right, but personally I'd just reward XP for things that aren't combat.
>>
>>54751878
I don't think D&D Beyond uses PDFs, only the in-built site information.
>>
>>54751852
I don't think it's the rules in this UA that anyone hates, if that's his point. It's the idea that this was worth waiting a month for or is useful in any way. The same thing could have been accomplished with two tweets that read:
>sometimes you should give out experience for the other pillars of the game, like talking to people or finding stuff
>nothing bad happens if you shave a few places off the XP totals
>>
>>54751868
Yes make him roll in front of everyone or give him the average.
>>
>>54751852
>Rules that only toxic players hate are good rules.

Maybe we're only toxic b/c you're boring us to death after a month of hype, Mike.
>>
>>54751868
If you want to roll for stats or hp, I must be present for the roll.

That's how I rule it
>>
>>54751865
Literally who?
>>
>>54751543

Pretty awful. It makes any creature with multiattack, including the CR 1/4 Giant Badger, capable of fully killing in a single turn by zeroing them out with its first blow, having them fail the roll, then making it's second melee attack at advantage for the last 2.
>>
>>54751892
I was about to say the same thing, this whole UA could have been replaced with "Don't forget to reward non-combat encounters as well, DMs!"
>>
>>54751906
Same here.

Had a guy come in with a level-4 wood elf monk with 20 dex, 16 wis, and 12+ in all other stats and -5 max HP saying her rolled it.

Bull.

He turned out to be a prick to be around anyway, no real loss.
>>
>>54751902
>>54751906
Technically I didn't tell him, I said to him bring me a ready to play character that is lvl 7 (including all the rules at my table), so I feel like I didn't specify and I am at the wrong here.

I just never thought that someone would roll by himself, I mean it sounds shady and I have never seen anyone not take the average rounded up like all classes let you.
>>
>>54751932
anyone who comes in with a pre-rolled character is a prick. I guarantee it.
>>
>>54751253
It isn't, but it does bring up the fact that Extra Attack doesn't work the same way when multiclassing since that's what cantrip scaling is clearly balanced against.
>>
>>54751852
>if you don't like waiting a month for my shitty homebrew you are toxic
>>
Is there a book / magazine out there focused on elementals and genies?

Trying to find out if genies have a natural lifespan.
>>
>>54751949
You said yourself is obviously shady rolling alone, he is basically picking his hp. if you allowed him roll for stats he would pick his stats. it wont take more than a few minutes to check his hp, only 6 rolls.
>>
>>54751706
5e gets sparse content, which would be fine if the quality was more consistent. Recently it hasn't been. Not the mention the rules are pointless as milestones and general XP rewards already cover most everything these rules cover.
>>54751868
"Technically didn't tell him not" is no excuse for a player potentially muchkining his character out of the session. Tell him to take average, or if you want to let him roll (you're obliged too in any shape or form) then make him roll in front of you.
>>54751852
What with this trend of content creators and artists lashing out against criticism in the most stupid way? Does Mearls genuinely believe he's infallible? Does he think the fact that there are angry nerds invalidates any criticism?
>>
File: c.jpg (20KB, 591x113px) Image search: [Google]
c.jpg
20KB, 591x113px
>>54751852
lol
>>
>>54751956
For once, it's a martial:caster imbalance that leans to the left, so it can stay.

The other side of this coin is seen when they make gish archetypes for classes of either variety.
>martial class's gish archetype
>hey here's like four spells total
>arcane class's gish archetype
>hey here's what is essentially extra attack and some more HP or AC or both and some other hsit
>>
File: rotgrub.gif (104KB, 600x261px) Image search: [Google]
rotgrub.gif
104KB, 600x261px
>>54751443
Oh okay, city stuff usually gives a material reward or some sort of contact, hence no xp needed. I agree on that. Fights though, I didn't want to punish them for talking through it.
>>
New thread

>>54752050
>>54752050
>>54752050
>>54752050
>>54752050
>>
>>54752003
>this language treats "w" as a fucking word unto itself and still survived to the present day
Somehow the world keeps finding new ways to disgust me
>>
>>54752058
>treats "w" as a word
>"w" as a word
>as "a"
>>
>>54752058
no i że co w tym nie tak
>>
>>54752134
>what are vowels and consonants
>>
>>54751852
I don't act toxically and I try to be a good and involved player with every group I play with. I will buck this metric so presented by hating but peacefully and politely articulating why so that you can't say that only toxic players hate something because that is pedantically dickish.
Thread posts: 365
Thread images: 47

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.