[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

40k army advice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_1007.png (279KB, 500x357px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1007.png
279KB, 500x357px
I'm thinking of starting 40k and would like some help picking an army. I enjoy playing ranged armies in wargames but would like something a bit more versatile than the tau. What would you recommend? I'm already considering the imperial guard but would like a second opinion
>>
File: 007.png (154KB, 1812x984px) Image search: [Google]
007.png
154KB, 1812x984px
>>54745049
>imperial guard
Lol virgin
>>
>>54745049
Its all dependant on money. Guard is awesome but its a bit expensive, specially these days. Maybe a Scion army could be fun, but they are more close quarter ranged fire fights. And they are not exactly versatile, as they have at most Ogryns to compensate for CC.

Necrons are a good and resilient army if you want. Dark Eldar is fun, but hard to play and master.
>>
>>54745049
>imperial guard
careful there kiddo, nu-40k fags will chimp out at you for not saying "astra militarum"
>>
>>54745049
Playing Guard is like WW II easter front, you throw enough men and tanks at the enemy and if that fails you, just repeat the process until you win
>>
>>54747269
>implying Abby has any arms left
>>
Where can i find a good introduction into 40k? Lore and what not. I only know the video games.

Also, redpill me on the Tau.
>>
>>54745049
Necrons perhaps? Necrons are tougher, with a lot more versatility than Tau. Their shootings is highly lethal as well and they can be quite scary in melee
>>
>>54747269
>Most commonly used unit in its codex
Vs
>I didn't even see tactical Marines in 7th edition! They were all devistators or bikers or scouts.
>>
>>54747865
You cant 'redpill' someone on the tau. they are the least of all
>>
>>54747865

My first war hammer experience was the Dawn of War games, followed by Space Marine.

Then started reading Imperial Guard Short Stories (16 hours) (Catachan Devil) and lots of imperia lGaurd books.

Brilliant authors and short smart stories that can ease you into the world.
>>
>>54745049
Space Marines are quite shooty, easy to paint, resilient to newbie mistakes on the tabletop, and (for now) the strongest army in the game. They come in several flavors and have lots of room for customization, including special chapters like the Grey Knights and the Deathwatch.

Necrons are also shooty and tough to kill, but all share the same ancient-egyptian-terminator vibe.

Eldar have a wide variety of shooty units as well, but are a little more fragile and have a steeper learning curve as a result.

>>54747406
Literally nobody does this, for any of the factions.
>>
Orks are the most fun faction and anyone who attempts to dispute this is a grot.

They've got some solid dakka if you're okay with hitting 1/3 of the time on most weapons, but compensating with high volume.

And naturally they're all good in close quarters.

I've yet to try ork gunlines in 8th, but I've played boyz supported by lootas and I was straight-up deleting units at range.
>>
>>54747971

Thanks, will look into it.
>>
>>54747865

I think the best place to get broad lore is in past and current rulebooks/codex. You should be able to find some in the MEGA link on 40k general or on wh40klib.ru
>>
>>54745049
sad thing is you will buy all your shit, spend months painting them then they will release a new army codex with an army that completely shit over every other army.
People then buy this army and paint it up just in time for them to release a new army codex that shits all over the last released army.
Repeat this process till its time for your original army to get a new codex then they release new models hugely superior to the ones you own and make every single weapon option and configuration in your old army illegal.

If you want to just collect stuff to paint and look at go for, if you want to play the game just dont do it at GW and use 3rd party minis
>>
>>54748320
Nah! We've always had conscripts and infantry squads, chimeras and Leman Russes, wyverns and basilisks. Unlike you marine players we just stick to the same units roster whose individual effectiveness levels rise and fall with time.
>>
File: 452523.png (277KB, 481x351px) Image search: [Google]
452523.png
277KB, 481x351px
>>54747269
>Diaperchad
>>
>>54748864
>dissing the glorious loin cloth
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.