[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ideas for a castlevania based game?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: 577603-vlcsnap_00015.png (300KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
577603-vlcsnap_00015.png
300KB, 720x480px
Ideas for a castlevania based game?
>>
>>54740200
What system?
>>
>>54740200

it has vampires in it probably
>>
>>54740212
>>54740212
5e
>>
>>54740258
Curse of Strahd.
>>
>>54740276
I wanna do a more original setting
>>
lets take a look at the original game
>mummies, medusas, Frankensteins monster, bats, Dracula, death
kitchen sink of horror, don't mind "fitting in" as long as they are treasured horror or mythology they will do fine

>combat heavy
enemies are difficult and progress is made by killing them, you go through your goes by martial skill and cunning use of abilities and tools
the players can just run up to them and get them, they need to figure out their weaknesses or patterns forst

>evil architecture
draculas castle need not make sense, it only need to be difficult to cross, not unfairly difficult, but the players need to stop and look around for a way across, not just jump

>long gauntlet of pain
players need many small encounters to bleed them dry of health and resources, topped with a single big encounter
enemies, once they come, don't stop until they beat a boss, so they should not take it easy and sweep room by room, they have to keep moving or die
permit short rests only when they properly secure an area, such as after a boss, or in the middle of a long section, to give your players a break
>>
>>54740487
>the players can just run up to them and get them, they need to figure out their weaknesses or patterns forst

This element needs to be emphasized. This sort of game will get REALLY samey really fast if you don't pay special attention to making interesting and fun combat encounters.

I would strongly recommend reading all TheAngryDM articles regarding combat encounters to pull this sort of game off, because while it can be fun, if you don't know how to make interesting fights, it'll be shit.

http://angrydm.com/2014/09/the-angry-guide-to-akicking-combats-part-1-picking-your-enemies/

https://pastebin.com/apzsWwRq

I don't care enough to pastebin the other articles, go look them up.
>>
>>54740200
this anons >>54740487 post has good basis, lets expand.

Castlevania comes in two flavours.

Metroidvania is about exploring what is essentially a super-dungeon and finding ways to proceed. Each region 'conquered' grants new abilities or tools with which to proceed into other new areas or find secrets.

Classic Castlevania is a linear beat-em up where you fight your way through monsters, but progression is still gated by ability to navigate the environment.

Honestly my suggestion would be Metroidvania. The 'meat' of this is going to be setting which is entirely up to you, but I can spitball some ideas.

Idea 1. The Super-dungeon is a kind of inter-dimensional prison for evil that PC's wrongly (or rightly) wind up in by some quirk of fate. It takes the form of a massive sprawling castle, inhabited by various tribes of monsters, as well as less hostile potentially friendly people who are in a similar situation to the PC's or are the descendants of those who were. The exact nature of the Castle should be gleaned over time OR kept secret to keep players guessing and assuming. Food and Sustenance is provided by unseen 'Servants' in the castle who often lay out large meals in places they would logically (and sometimes illogically) be, so people survive by scavenging banquet halls and raiding larders. Since it's indoors and seems to be perpetually night outside, farming is limited to mushrooms and rat herding.

It is believed there is a lord of the Castle at the highest tower, and by confronting him, you can escape. But it's impossible to get there. Or is it?
>>
File: 1494088575359.gif (3MB, 200x170px) Image search: [Google]
1494088575359.gif
3MB, 200x170px
>>54740625
>I would strongly recommend reading ... TheAngryDM
>>
Hunter: the Reckoning
>>
>>54740200
>20`s-30`s
>players are all some bullshit descendants of Belmont family
>in addition to Dracula coming back there is also something Lovecraftian stirring in the dark
>Dracula Vs Dagon Vs Players
>Hilarity ensue
>>
Fully cooked poultry found inside the castle architecture.
>>
File: wat_1.gif (7KB, 782x543px) Image search: [Google]
wat_1.gif
7KB, 782x543px
>>54740839

>I hate him so you should too
>>
>>54740336
>Castlevania based game
>original

m8.
>>
>>54742184
It's hard not to, when he's constantly shilling his shitty blog here.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.