[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

GURPS General /gurpsgen/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 312
Thread images: 43

File: gurps gen op.pdf (350KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
gurps gen op.pdf
350KB, 1x1px
Talk about GURPS.
Do it.

Random question: How apocalyptic should the apocalypse before your post-apocalyptic setting be?
>>
File: Final-20Gun[1].jpg (219KB, 1280x793px) Image search: [Google]
Final-20Gun[1].jpg
219KB, 1280x793px
How would you stat the LAPD 2019 Special?

Let's say we go with the H3VR incarnation of it, which seems to make the most logical sense out of anything's interpretation of the gun.
https://youtu.be/hAn7FI5cdto?t=2m20s

So it's a five shot revolver, that can be fired as normal, but then second "barrel" above the gun is the mechanism for a railgun enhancer that helps to accelerate the projectile up to "three to four times it's normal speed" according to the devs of the game. A battery slots into a port under the barrel to power the railgun functionality and the bolt handle on the top of the gun opens up a port and acts as an ejector for a disposable thermal clip, which sucks heat out of the gun and prevents overheating when using the railgun firemode.

Each battery is good for about 15 shots at normal heat capacity. A thermal clip can safely absorb around 10 shots worth of heat before performance starts to degrade. Over 10 shots the gun begins to smoke, accuracy is made worse and battery life is decreased so that each shot drains about 10% of the battery, more than 15 shots and gun is glowing red, accuracy is significantly hampered and each shot drains 20% of the battery instead of merely replacing the clip, by this point one must be used just to cool the gun down, then replaced with a fresh one for normal operation, by the time you've fired 20 shots without replacing the clip the gun becomes yellow hot and it permanently damages the accuracy, as well as requiring two clips to cool it down to normal temperatures instead of a standard replacement.
>>
File: eafc9e9abb48867cde1fe45011b891bc.jpg (148KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
eafc9e9abb48867cde1fe45011b891bc.jpg
148KB, 1280x720px
>>54725437
How to Fix Gurps:
Beginning from the core (ST, DX, IQ, HT), I would make everything else explicitly modular. The core set would simply have multiple playstyle sets (with genres suggestions therein) played off the same 3D6 mechanic. Splat books would expand on the core playstyles and genres as well as add entirely new ones.

The "Classic" set would use the same Realistic Skills, Advantages/Perks and Disadvantages we all know and love. Point balanced with an edge toward real-world difficulty. It would be suggested toward Hard Sci-Fi, Midieval Fantasy and Modern. Combat would be a detailed, tactical affair with a large common set of maneuvers for all characters. This is directed right toward Gurps current fanbase and would be near or completely compatible with previous Gurps releases.

The Powers play style set would use simple skills, and game mechanic powers. Powers would relate almost completely to combat and the combat game's mechanical element. This would assume the use of a Hex grid. This would be designed to appeal to 'Game' focused players. The application of a character's unique mechanics is assumed to be exploited by players and combat is supposed to be the focus and main interest of the game. Suggested genre's would be Super Heroes, Dungeon Fantasy and Pulp. It would be meant to resemble D&D 4e and Savage Worlds type play.

The Genre set would use Templates, genre based Skills, Cinamatic/Supernatural Advantages/Disadvantages.

Obviously, the playstyle sets are all just a collection of rules modules. Many of the modules are based on things that currently exist in Gurps. As such, players could easily mix and match modules between sets. The main point is that each playstyle set is complete within a genre(s), can stand alone and that each playstyle plays differently from another at the table.

So, that's my long winded idea. Any thoughts?
>>
File: brpic206.jpg (111KB, 1126x948px) Image search: [Google]
brpic206.jpg
111KB, 1126x948px
>>54725907
It has several ammo types included in the game, Slugger, which is a standard heavy hitting round with lots of impact force, Fragmentation, which shoots mini-grenades, Swarm, which shoots small bundles of flechettes like a shotgun round, Turbo-Penetrator, which fires a spinning drill like target that is especially good at penetrating armor and boring through cover, and railgun mode increasing this penetration dramatically, and then Proxy Mine, which fires a slow short range projectile (probably because it has a low powder load to make room for a large payload and the electronics on the mine) that can be lobbed about 30 feet normally, or 120 feet in railgun mode, and sticks to surfaces, detonating whenever something moves within 5 feet of it.

Could probably make up some other neat rounds for it as well, such as gyrojet airburst rocket rounds and such, or electric shock rounds, incindiary capsules and whatnot, something to think about.

I think it's probably somewhere between 10mm (which is about .40 caliber, the slugger round is described as 10mm Discarding Sabot Magnetic rounds) and 11.5mm (slightly larger than .45 caliber) but I'm not really sure what the two triggers does. In the original gun the triggers are a way of "setting the trigger" with one trigger being able to fire the gun normally, or the other trigger will be pulled and sets the main trigger to hair-fire mode where it has an extremely light pull and becomes very easy to fire, which helps with accuracy when fire aiming is needing, which sounds like a neat trait for a gun to have, though I don't know how to reflect that in rules.

What kind of stats should it have? I'm not used to statting guns.
>>
Pretty much. The problem a lot of people have with it is their first encounter with gurps is novice gms who tend to kitchen sink it, they take all the options and allow them without considering whether or not it works in the context of their chosen setting or scenario. This results in an overly complicated system that feels unfocused and lacking.

GURPS is a toolbox, and moreso with the newest version. It is more of a toolbox of system options than a single, fully realised system. Just because there are rules that allow you to create a hyperintelligent pan-dimensional kumquat that fights with realised floating haiku text that does not mean those rules are suited to your low fantasy noir mystery campaign.

You can mix and match quite easily and you don't lose much at all by reducing the system down to its most abstract base of 3d6 and roll under.
>>
File: whatamagicalboard.png (593KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
whatamagicalboard.png
593KB, 1024x576px
>>54725437
I think /u/ViridianGames nailed it - is unpopular because it's a toolkit and not an out-of-the-box system. Okay, they mentioned a game world and I'm generalizing it to the system. However, it isn't like D&D, VtM, M&M, and so many other games where the world is defined by the system. Instead, the GM needs to know what setting they want to run and then set the rules and boundaries of the system. They can't say "here is the PH, make a character" but have to day "is a GURPS game with the following limits on the character design. Let's make characters for this first session." Ultimately this means the GM needs to know how the system runs in order to keep the game balanced the way they want, and most want to pick up the system and be able to run it.

Not totally correct. You can just hand the group the Fantasy and core books and they can make an "Elven Bard" just like in DnD. No fuss.

Around half of the Basic Set's Advantages have a little face symbol which means "exotic, requires GM permission". At the very least, the GM needs to issue a blanket ruling on which (if any) of these are permitted, and players need to ignore the many choices ruled off-limits.

If you just hand someone the book, you may well get an "Elven Bard" who can Mind Control anyone in sight, has skin tougher than plate armour, or is Unkillable. If all the Advantages are available, there's a real risk of losing the intended feel of a game (DR is notable for this, as it seems superficially reasonable, but is so cheap that it's easy to become almost immune to weapons in a low-tech game).

I like GURPS, but my experience has been that it requires more tweaking and effort than most people are interested in spending. The toolkit approach isn't for everyone.

If you don't mind cross polinating, Mutant Chronicles has some good stuff.
>>
How much should cost gasifier, biodiesel and adapting vehicle to them by HT, not by that ATE crappy economic.
>>
>>54725437
I like a light apocalypse myself. Something that causes a breakdown that isn't necessarily immediate but makes things like emergency services much slower, more regional authority, and growing resentment among people. It's pretty obvious that the old governments are on their way out but it's unclear what will step in. No mad max raiders but far more street gangs and breakaway movements.

Limited nuclear war works well, plague is always an option, but the best is systems collapse. See John Carpenter movies for a good tone.
>>
>>54726518

I've had a lot of fun with a "soft" apocalypse where the world collapsed following massive climate change, with heavy weather and massive storms sweeping across the landscape every few months.

Less "Mad Max" then people fighting about if the government is a thing or not anymore and if they are trying to put things back together. People doing whatever they can to survive in a world where everything's changed.
>>
>>54725907
>>54725978
I'd say one trigger is for standard mode, the other is to fire in hybrid mode.

Weight 3
Bulk -3

Basic Stats: 3d pi+ without booster. Shots 5(2i). ROF 3, Recoil 3, Acc 3, Range 150/1000

Gun/Electromotive hybrid mode:
Increase damage by 1d and gain (2) armor divisor, increase Acc by 1, +50% range. Reduce ROF to 1, increase Recoil by 2,

In Hybrid mode the weapon requires a charge cell good for 15 rounds and a coolant cell good for 10 rounds.

Fired without coolant the gun suffers -1 Acc and gains Malf 15, then -2 Acc and Malf 13 after 5 shots without coolant. After 10 shots without coolant the gun is reduced to Cheap quality.

May use barrier-blind AP "Turbo-Penetration™" rounds, dealing 3d(2) pi or 4d(3) pi in hybrid mode.

Swarm rounds deal 1d pi- damage with ROF x9, Recoil 1

Micro-grenade rounds deal 2d [1d] cr ex damage and are smart fused to detonate if a target comes within 5 feet, or if it passes within 5 feet of a valid target in flight.
>>
File: god-warriors-Nausicaa.jpg (152KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
god-warriors-Nausicaa.jpg
152KB, 1280x720px
>>54725937
Would it be a good idea to divorce Per and Wil from IQ, making them basic attributes in their own right?

>>54725437
>How apocalyptic should the apocalypse before your post-apocalyptic setting be?
Picrelated.

>>54726518
I did kinda liked Gibson's take on Big Stink in "Difference Engine". Aside from that. I think one of realistic scenarios for light apocalypse is a country that became a failed state (after American intervention, as it always happens). Civil war, terrorists/moderate rebels, foreign intervention and so on.
>>
How penalties will have leg sub-zones [shin, knee, thigh] and arm sub-zones [forearm, elbow, upper arm, shoulder]?
Or it is impossible to deliberately hit them?
>>
Why do both bullets (physical damage) and diseases (metabolic damage) inflict HP injury?
Why do both frostbite (physical damage) and hypothermia (metabolic damage) inflict HP injury?
Isn't HP supposed to represent ability to resist physical damage, not metabolic damage?

Idea:
- The Last Gasp is implemented, except FP loss does not reduce HT.
- All metabolic injury is applied to FP rather than to HP.
- FP loss below zero is NOT transferred to HP. Rather, FP can go below zero, and works just like HP: You get a roll vs. HT whenever you hit a negative multiple of FP; if you fail, you die. At −5 × FP, you die immediately. (A corpse has no FP, so it obviously can't go to −10 × FP.)
>>
>>54729236
>Why do both frostbite (physical damage)
Why burns from high temperature should count as physical damage, but from low no?

>diseases (metabolic damage) inflict HP injury
Because bacteria release toxins that destroy tissues, and whole system is GENERIC?

>FP loss below zero is NOT transferred to HP
AFAIK per BS FP loss start drining HP after -1xFP
>>
>>54729378
>Why burns from high temperature should count as physical damage, but from low no?
What? FP damage from heat and HP damage from burning are totally different. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperthermia
>In severe heat stroke, there may be confused, hostile, or seemingly intoxicated behavior. Heart rate and respiration rate will increase (tachycardia and tachypnea) as blood pressure drops and the heart attempts to maintain adequate circulation. The decrease in blood pressure can then cause blood vessels to contract reflexively, resulting in a pale or bluish skin color in advanced cases. Young children, in particular, may have seizures. Eventually, organ failure, unconsciousness and death will result.

>Because bacteria release toxins that destroy tissues?
1 point of damage from toxins and 1 point of damage from a physical blow involve totally-different quantities of tissue destruction.

>AFAIK per BS FP loss start drining HP after -1xFP
Wrong. B426:
>0 FP or less: If you suffer further fatigue, each FP you lose also causes 1 HP of injury.
>−1 × FP: After this stage, any FP cost comes off your HP instead!
So, from 0 FP to −1 × FP + 1, you're double-dipping damage--but, at any other point, you take damage only once! How much sense does that make?
>>
>>54729622
>How much sense does that make.

Quite a bit if you've ever worked to exhaustion and felt your muscles tearing and been laid up for a few days after to recover.

I imagine it doesn't make sense to someone who's never done manual labor and just sits infront of a computer posting on tibetan sutra board.
>>
File: blah.png (33KB, 686x916px) Image search: [Google]
blah.png
33KB, 686x916px
>>54729679
Maybe you're forgetting that this proposal includes The Last Gasp, which takes all this into account.
I actually forgot about this part of the article, so I guess HT reductions due to FP loss will have to be retained.
>>
>>54729782

I don't give a shit about the proposal, I was responding to the ignorance of someone suggesting that a human pushed beyond their endurance wouldn't start taking physical damage as muscles tear, ligaments snap, and your bones begin to fracture.

Google shin splints for an easy example.
>>
>>54729815
>suggesting that a human pushed beyond their endurance wouldn't start taking physical damage
I'm talking <em>primarily</em> about FP damage due to <em>disease and hypothermia</em>, which definitely does not correspond to any significant amount of physical damage.
>>
>>54729896
Oh. Sorry, I didn't realize you were retarded. You do realize that diseases that drain your FP are pretty goddamn serious? Even flu kills people, and you vastly underestimate how badly hypothermia fucks you up.
You'll have to excuse me, this is the first time I've met someone so sheltered and ignorant on 4chan that didn't immediately appear to be trolling. Please tell me you're trolling. 80pts guy, is this you?
>>
>>54729896
Yeah? And from the conversation chain they were talking about FP loss from physical labor. Stop being a goalpost moving twat and just play the game or homebrew your own crap if you're unhappy.

This 'Reeeeeeeee everyone else is WRONG' when you're clearly the fucking idiot is not something people want to deal with with a hangover on sunday you fucknugget.
>>
>>54729987
>You do realize that diseases that drain your FP are pretty goddamn serious?
Did you not read my first post? >>54729236
- FP loss below zero is NOT transferred to HP. Rather, FP can go below zero, and works just like HP: You get a roll vs. HT whenever you hit a negative multiple of FP; if you fail, you die. At −5 × FP, you die immediately. (A corpse has no FP, so it obviously can't go to −10 × FP.)

In this system, you can die from FP-only loss, regardless of whether or not you lose any HP from it.
>>
>>54730065
I did. Did you not read my post where I called you a retard and disagreed with you because excess exhaustion does cause physical damage? If not from stress, then from your body cannibalizing itself to make energy.

You lack a basic grasp of biology and are attempting to reverse engineer and 'improve' a system you clearly don't understand.
>>
>>54730065
1 HP heals once per day of full rest and decent food with successfull HT check.
1 FP heals once per 10 mins of rest, and extra 1 with decent meal while resting. And FP loss from dehidration, strvation, cold and heat heals at normal rate when you rest with plenty of food, water and comfort temperature range.
Also you can just simple eat or drink some drugs to recover FP, like drink some red bull, eat speed or smoke some rock
>>
>>54730258
>1 FP heals once per 10 mins of rest
>The Last Gasp is implemented
>>
>>54729236
>diseases (metabolic damage) inflict HP injury?
Because they directly destroy your cells rather than just exhaust you.
>hypothermia (metabolic damage) inflict HP injury?
Cold only causes FP damage until you reach 0 FP. As I understand after that point your body cannot resist cold anymore and your cells start dying.
>Isn't HP supposed to represent ability to resist physical damage, not metabolic damage?
HP is about any kind of injury.

I am not sure what's your issue with current system and what the heck are you trying to "fix".
>>
>>54730065

You do get that FP loss turning to HP loss during hypothermia represents you losing vitality and then -fucking freezing to death- after, right? Frostbite is a thing.
>>
>>54730326
>Frostbite is a thing.
Frostbite is a separate rule (High Tech) that directly deals HP damage.
>>
'How to fix GURPS posters' are clinically retarded, more news at 11. The only good suggestions I've ever seen were things like separating IQ and Per, or numerical fixes for techniques. Anyone that has ever suggested anything further has outed themselves as a clinical retard within 2 to 5 posts. GURPS is no perfect system, make no mistake, but I wouldn't leave it's 'fixing' to anyone but SJG.
>>
>>54730347
Okay, and? You can still fucking freeze to death without getting frostbite you aspie.
>>
Is there a way to improve things like gyro-jets in a higher tech level?

They are TL 9 and I am TL 10
>>
>>54732200

I don't think so, they're kind of superceded by homing projectiles out of gauss/rail weapons or launchers at TL10.

If you can get your GM to allow mag-launched gyrocs to help mitigate their close range penalties, they might be useful.
>>
Can you combine very fine and superfine for +4 to cutting damage?
>>
File: 1462831770337.png (1MB, 1592x2164px) Image search: [Google]
1462831770337.png
1MB, 1592x2164px
>>54732567
I'm pretty sure Superfine is a grade above Very Fine, so no. There are TONS of other mods to stack though, don't really need it.
>>
>>54732200
TL10 warheads?
>>
>>54732615
I just read the warheads

Holy crap they are terrifying, especially with the tiny rocket launcher(64mm) that weighs nothing
>>
If i have Broadswords-25 [DX+15] (80-pts guy yeah), then my 2H Sword [Defaults: Broadsword-4] will have 21 as base level, as relative skill level or as effective level?
>>
>>54732567
Can I have hyperdense and superfine on the same sword
>>
>>54732956
>hyperdense
>superfine
Material+Quality
Seems legit
>>
>>54733028
Sword, made out of the best possible stuff (like orichalcum /adamant tier), Hyperdense, Superfine, Balanced, giant-sized. Don't even need enchantments, there's your slaughter sword of legend.
>>
>>54729236
HP loosely represents systemic damage that reduces the fitness of an organism or object. The more durable the object, the more of this it can suffer before it begins to fail.
>>
>>54733208
>What's enchanted with master swordman?
>Cutting real gud.
>>
>>54733208
Just need to be super humanly strong to wield it.
>>
>>54727255
I like this. It's kind of a TL 8.7, a .44 magnum with lower recoil in normal mode and the booster puts it competitive with TL 9 guns. Utilitarian but not crazy.

I don't know how armor divisors interact. Loaded with hollow points with the booster on would it deal 4d pi++ with no negative or positive armor divisor because (.5) and (2) cancel each other out?
>>
How would you deal with a big mek from 40k making a shoota?

Let them make an innate attack with points equal to 10xdistance of success(with gadget modifier)?
>>
>>54733757
>big mek
He probably quick gadgeteer, and also have high armoury skill.
So I'd probably ask him how much looted garbage he have right now and then he just made that garbage to money as ~$1 (and possibly more if he has some working tools, say 10 with real ones and 4 with improvised) per lb (~1% of full cost per pound of any non-shoota weapons he will salvage for his shoota) to reinvent and create as shoota per qiuck gadgeteering rules any weapon he wants with project cost of $[weapon cost/100 x 2d] and weapon weight lbs of garbage
and also 1d+4-MOS bugs or malf as 10+MOS, need thinking.
Like he wanna Twinlinked FN MINIMIs Shoota (5d pi, acc 5 800/3500 50/14 rof 48! shots 400(5) ST22B† Bulk -8 Rcl 3 $6600), so he need $[66 x 7] or $462 worth of loot, he have improvised toolkit, so his garbage will worth 4 per pound, and he need at least 50 lbs of garbage, which he have ($200), and also le have Laser Carbine (5.6lbs $4600) ($230) from some imperial guardsmen. He finds around additonal 8 lbs of garbage ($32) and complete his shoota.
>>
>>54734571
>rof 48
Why am I yelling?
>>
>>54734822
Twinlinked doubles rof.
>>
>>54735008
I'm yelling in fear anon if I do remember how that correctly works.
>>
>>54735037
Is that not why you are afraid?
>>
>>54735070
Let's just say you shouldn't give a shoota to 80p in guns.
>>
>>54735256
Why would you? He doesn't have enough points left over to afford buying one, or the skills and advantages to build his own.
>>
So if I spend points on a equipment granting patron, can I start the game with equipment granted by patron?
>>
>>54735864
No.
>>
Would you consider it cool to buy cybernetics with just money?

In a supers game?
>>
>>54736548
In general, I'd guess no because it's supers and supers gets weird with powers vs gear, but really that's a question for your GM.

>>54735864
Are you starting en media res in the middle of a sanctioned mission?
>>
>>54736548
In a supers game, no. In a cyberpunk/transhuman game...yes.
>>
>>54736721
Just starting out,

The issue is that my character isn't rich, he belongs to a TL 12^ group of scientists and inventors with access to a dimension of antimatter
>>
>>54736817
I'd say yes, but remember that you don't get any say in what you get. It's all determined by the GM, so don't expect anything too grand.
>>
So I'm making a ritual adept for my supers game and it's coming up stupid(pt 1000)

I have IQ 20 and Magery 10, and ritual adept.

All of this costs(plus other things) me 550 points, so two questions

>Is it worth getting all of the paths at 20?

>what other stuff could I add to this?
>>
>>54738401
Might as well. Having everything at 20 or higher gives you a ton of flexibility.

As for other abilities, magical powers/advantages in the form of internalized rituals and bound spells? You're 1000 freaking points, man. Bust out some Sorcerer Supreme shit. The only other alternative I have is from the Alternate RPM article from Pyramid that combines RPM and Realm-Based Magic where you can buy advantages that cancel out Greater effects.
>>
>>54736548
Are you at a cybernetic market/hospital with cash in game?

That said, in general cybernetics with cash is cyberpunk games. I've heard of getting rid of all bonus points and having all advancement done by buying cybernetics and skill-programming tapes with money.
>>
>>54738616
Is there any way to make semipermanent creations with RPM?

Does it have to be a variant duration like permeant until dispelled?
>>
I made this dungeon for this campaign im GMing but Im having a road block

I wanted it to be something they passed over, were warned not to go to because its very dangerous and if they went to it, there would be guardians on the path so powerfull that it would make them rethink the attempt.

The idea is the following DF-Esque world
Players are inside a spiritual city complex abandoned long ago.

The temple-city was build by a great ancient elven theurge (what we call someone who is a wizard and a shaman). Eventually he added a prison in it (which is the only part of the complex the players explored, aside from the abadoned city).

There are 3 wings, the prison wing, the spirit gate wing and the dreamgate wing.

In the dreamgate wing theres a portal that leads to a random location, some good encounters, some neutral, some bad, all of them offer a way back.

The spirit gate leads to a fixed destination in the spirit world, which would be an abandoned temple on top of a mountain (the smallest in a mountain range), overlooking a small village and a vast desert.

I have designed the adventure having in mind that their actual destination would be the village, where desert spirits would be able to sell them goods, services and give them an optional quest that would further the main plot (but that is not necessary in way way for it).

On the way to the city there would be a fork in the mountain path, leading to a huge Wizard's tower (think karazhan in side). There will be an NPC to tell them not to go there, ever. But what if they want to enter the tower?

The tower was supposed to belong to the same guy who made the city complex, but is now full of traps, constructs and aberrations (mostly beholders).
>>
>>54738833
Nope. There are two options.
1. Give the spell the longest duration you can manage (which should be quite a lot), then re-add the duration repeatedly until you get a final duration of a couple centuries.
2. Use the rules for learning from study but put those points towards advantages. Every 200 hours of focus/ritual/meditation = 1 character point worth of abilities.
>>
>>54738954
What is the best way to get a large energy reserve?

More Magery?
>>
>>54739107
Basically. Having Paths at 30 combined with high Magery means you can do damn near everything.
>>
>>54739196
Can I buy a cosmic energy reserve to move it up the super abilities chart?
>>
>>54739203
That's a question for your GM.
>>
>>54738837

Put in a fuckoff-huge sign carved deep into stone, deliberately as ugly, cheap and heavy as possible. The sign itself is of no value and would be difficult to vandalize.

"This is not a place of honor. No esteemed deed is commemorated here. Nothing of value is buried here. There is extreme danger ahead. Do not dig here. Do not enter the tower. If this warning is difficult to read construct new markers of lasting materials. This warning was left in the 2045 year of the Common Era."

Then a quarter of a mile later, another sign.

Then another.

Then a pit, lined with jagged rock.

Then another sign.

At this point, if they enter it's sort of their own fault.
>>
How many races is a good amount of races and how to make them feel unique? I want to have them be mostly human-like but with some distinct differences.

I have an avian race that can fly, has sharp vision and talons (which gives them clinging as long as its a rough surface and they stay in one place, and a bonus to climbing) and penetrating voice and mimicry as racial talents. Though they have a vulnerability to crushing damage because hollow bird bones.

As of the current moment that's the only race I have mostly statted up but I want more variety.

Current ideas are a dog like race which would be the jack of all trades type race mostly focusing on scavenging and fighting as a team. Will probably have discriminatory smell and tracking. Maybe extra FP or something? Human equivalent in D&D terms I think.

Cat race that would be more scholarly and acrobatic, probably have enhanced hearing as well. Elf equivalent.

Horse race that is strong and big. As in a size modifier class larger than the other player races. (Which actually means they are size modifier 0 since everyone else is SM -1) Not sure what else they would really have besides size. Kind of a half orc type archetype I guess.

Pig race, which are the dwarf equivalent, the tinkery race, clever, stubborn, stout, enhanced taste and scent senses.

Goats as the gypsie like outsiders, with an included unusual background and magical talent, horns and, of course, cast iron stomach.

1/2
>>
>>54740911
It's a bit of a chinese zodiac theme with a few changes like cats being the stand-in for tigers, goats instead of sheep, and birds in general instead of the cock. I think monkeys, rats and rabbits could make interesting races, but Ox would probably overlap with horses a lot, and, being a novice GM I'm having trouble making racial templates for the six ideas I already have. I don't really feel like snake or dragon would lend itself well and other than avians I want my races all mammals.

Coincidentally I have on a seperate occasion decided a year in my setting is 225 days, divided into nine 25 day months. So dogs, cats, birds, horses, pigs, goats, rats, rabbits and monkeys would give me nine zodiac animals to correspond with the nine calender months.
But I dunno, that feels like a lot of races to have in a setting.
>>
>>54735763
If there is a point where a man has "enuff dakka" he might be near it.

Also because stop it, you are not doomguy and a heavy machine gun isnt also a sniper rifle.
>>
>>54742291
>heavy machine gun isnt also a sniper rifle
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If you add long barrel, slow full-auto to semi-auto or HCCB, and slap optics on top...
>>
>>54743137
Is that for when you have to headshot the entire g20 but only have one sniper?
>>
Hey, GURPSgen
When writing setting how you define how much information about setting is enough?
Like, i have written race block, couple of reskinned cars, helicopters and guns, two power and two magic systems as four individual supernatural sets, and around 5k words about setting story and current situation. And i feel that information is too shallow and even if i try to run campaign on this my players would feel themselves in shortage of setting information (not game/campaign info) with which they can complete their characters.
>>
>>54740931
Just because you have nine races doesn't mean you need nine templates. Let's play with some ideas...

Broadbacks (Horses or Oxen)
Lifting ST +2 (6), HT +1 (10), Hooves (1), Fur (1), DR 1 (Tough Skin -40%) (3), SM +0 (0), Restricted Diet (Herbivore) (1), Taboo Trait (Lowered ST) (0)

Total Cost: 22

May take either of these two Meta Traits: Oxen (3)= Mind Shield 1 (4), Stubbornness Quirk (-1) or Equine (Acute Sense of Smell 2 (4), Chummy Quirk (-1)

Small Ones (Rats and Rabbits)
SM -1 (0), Teeth (Sharp) (1), Night Vision 2 (2), Silence 1(5), Reduced Consumption 1 (Cast Iron Stomach -50%) (1), Fur (1)

Total Cost: 6

Well, you get the idea.

That said, there's a lot of options for how much you want to make these races worth. 50 point races are going to look quite different from these ones.
>>
>>54743443
Hey, those are pretty good. Thanks for the advice, I was thinking of meta traits like that but was unsure. I guess not every race has to totally unique and original, they're there to add flavor to my setting in a universal system.
>>
>>54743443
That's why we still don't have GURPS Furries!!!!!!
>>
>>54740405
Thats a good idea. Thanks!
>>
Hey GURPS Gen. I'm really interested in moving to GURPS from DnD. I'm definitely going to buy the Dungeon Fantasy box when it comes out, but I am reading some things before hand. I've read GURPS lite and like it - what else should I be looking at? Especially regarding Magic. I've heard lots of mixed things about the different magic systems.

My current DND game also has some cosmic horror elements - are there some good books for that?

Thanks.
>>
>>54745633
Thaumatology is your book. In general it's a book about tailoring a magic system to fit a genre, and there's suggestions that might fit your needs, like a corruption system. It also has a few alternate magic systems, though they're light on content - the expectation is that you'll make the spells yourself. There's other alternate systems with more content, namely RPM and Sorcery, that aren't found in that specific book. The standard Magic system is also perfectly serviceable, if you like it reading through it, there's no reason not to use it.

For straight up horror, there's always GURPS Horror, I hear it's invaluable for the genre. I find that a good read to make a good campaign in a genre is to read good books of that genre, I'm sure a few more pages of Lovecraft won't hurt your campaign at least.
>>
>>54743443
>>54740931

Adding to that, you could also distinguish oxen and horse by their symbolic meanings.
With some quick google searching, an Ox represents industriousness, but lacks wisdom.

Maybe oxen have high HT, will, visualization, and single-minded to tenaciously pursue goals, but are tempered by mottled IQs, curiosity [Doing things just because they can], and other naivety disadvantages.

Horses are symbolically trail blazers, but have a weak sense of unity.
So horses have a driving urge for action, and an impatience for those that don't fall in line and share the load.
They probably have advantages like Intuition since they think they know what's best, talents for finance (maybe jigger the Business Acumen talent around a bit) and Daredevil because they like risk taking.

On the flipside, they probably have disadvantages like compulsive risk taking or gambling, impatience or overconfidence. They might have a odious racial habit of rushing through planning and strategy sessions to beat feet and actually do something instead of sitting around being power point rangers.
>>
>>54746052

Thanks Anon. I'll have a look if someone else has converted 5E spells to GURPS...

I'm a bit hesitant to pick up Magic straight off as I've heard it can be quite unbalanced compared to magic as Advantages - I don't want to repeat Linear Martials Quadratic Spellcasters.

Thanks for the advice.
>>
>>54745633
>>54746052
If you mean Cosmic horror like Lovecraftian stuff by the way, and you are interested in Dungeon Fantasy, Dungeon Fantasy 14: PSI deals with espers, elder things, and beings from beyond time and space.
Forewarning that it might be a bit of a dive in the deep-end (well, not the deep end, more like the bit where the water starts getting deep enough that you gotta stand on your tiptoes) for novice GURPS players/GMs; it's simplified enough that it is very useful by itself, but it really shines if you have enough system knowledge to leverage the contents of Basic Set and GURPS Powers.
>>
>>54746206

That sounds perfect! I'm fine diving at the deep-end. Why GURPS Powers though, isn't that a superhero thing?
>>
>>54746148
You might find the spells you're looking for. You might not, maybe, but DnD has some pretty generic spells out there, certainly nothing as convoluted to stat up as M.U.N.C.H.K.I.N.

Magic has it's problems, but the martial-caster divide exists in GURPS only to the point that the GM allows. Disallowing spells or entire schools of magic, capping spell skill levels and Magery levels, enforcing restrictions on magery itself, etc etc etc. It definitely takes a certain 'feel' for GURPS to know how much is not enough enough or too much restricting. But if you ask around here you'll get plenty of suggestions.
>>
>>54746540
>Magic has it's problems, but the martial-caster divide exists in GURPS only to the point that the GM allows. Disallowing spells or entire schools of magic, capping spell skill levels and Magery levels, enforcing restrictions on magery itself, etc etc etc. It definitely takes a certain 'feel' for GURPS to know how much is not enough enough or too much restricting. But if you ask around here you'll get plenty of suggestions.

Thanks. I suppose this is where the "GURPS is a Toolkit" bit comes in... On that note, would love to hear other player's experiences/suggestions.
>>
>>54746639
In long ago forgotten thread anon made conversion from book of weeabu fightan magic
>>
>>54746389
Nah that's GURPS Supers. Powers is an expansion in advantages in general--nearly everyone can get some use out of it.
>>
>>54747158
Ah. Thank you. There are quite a lot of books to look at (which is great.).
>>
>>54746639
DF has a good balance level, so start from there. Somewhat restricted spell lists and martial abilities that are solidly in the cinematic realm mesh well enough, especially due to Magic's casting times and FP costs.
>>
How unbalanced would it be to allow ranged attacks to use All-Out Attack (Double)?
>>
>>54749888
It is allowed.
>>
>>54750194
Which book says that? B324 says the only AoA options for ranged combat are Determined and Suppression Fire.
>>
>>54750579
Check Tactical Shooting or Gun-Fu.
If they allow rapid stike, then AOA should be allowed too
>>
>>54745633
I really recommend you read thamatology and its companion, Thaumatology Magical Styles.

There you will find other spell systems, and many ways to improve the existing one. As well as cool perks that really make each caster more unique and some that make the game easier and more fun (such as, imho, the staff attunement perk, which lets you use anything as a magical staff)
Also
Dungeon magic - magical styles; for cool unique styles and ideas for secret spells, mass buff spells, etc.
Magic - Death Spells; always good to see what is considered 'balanced' in terms of instant kill spells
For this same reason I recommend the pyramid 3 - 25 Epic Magic, specifically the essential magic part (p14) as it has many new and more powerfull elemental spells

But regardless of that, the two most important things to have in mind (in terms of balance) when getting into GURPS as a GM is the following (again, imho)

1 - Skill caps. Limiting how much someone can spend in a skill to an arbitrary value, such as 40 points, will give you a nice control over the skill differences that exist in the game and make attributes worth more. If you place no limits, attributes are still pretty worth it, but now players are incentivized to find one specific "I win" skill and dump all their points in it. In our table we use system where a player needs to spend a certain ammount of points in a few other skills to be able to level up their biggest invested skills, with a hard cap of 40.

It has worked fine, and I think it could be used in all tables to achieve better GM control and balance
>>
>>54751864
I forgot the second important thing, cest la vie
>>
>>54725437

Is there any crunch for weaponsmithing?

In the post-apoc setting I'm getting ready to run, the people planet-side got fucked when the sci-fy conflict went nuclear and everything got bombed to hell.

Now the inhabitants of these planets scrounge together parts from the previous war to craft lazers and shit, however the resources to do so are minimal as there aren't very many scientists/engineers around; point being they have to use mining equipment and go back a few tech levels and use Metro 20XX style makeshift firearms.

Should I just stat weapons as their modern tech-level counterparts, or is there a weaponsmithing article for characters whom want to go through the trouble of making their own signature Excali-Blam?
>>
>>54753167
You're looking at Inventing, preferably with Gadgeteer and skills in both Engineering and Armory.

If the whole 'inventing and crafting' things seems generic, well...that's what GURPS is.
>>
What is the cost of having access to a space store?

My character is a TL 12 in a TL 8 world but has access to a TL 12 store

It's not really a patron, so what is it
>>
>>54743654
I find it's best to reduce the number of races but make them more distinct when you can. Small meta-traits are great for adding distinctness and personality to a race, as are things that unlock the ability of the race to take Exotic or Supernateral advantages they couldn't otherwise.
>>
>>54753547
High TL 4 (20) is what you want. You have skills and gear 4 TL higher then the rest of the world, and the ability to buy more.
>>
>>54753547

Paying extra for delivery via stealth-drop pod?
>>
>>54753588
So I don't even have to buy a perk or something?

Then what about people who has high tech stuff in a low tech world?
>>
>>54753610
They still need High TL to operate whatever they have.

If it's just clothes or something, Signature Gear might work.
>>
>>54753547
I'd crunch it as a contact or an ally who has high TL and wealth, personally.
>>
anyone run an Infinite World campaign? How did it work out? What did you do, story-wise?
>>
>>54754736
but anon

every campaign is an infinite worlds campaign

:%)
>>
Okay so how the fuck does one do space opera in gurps where the guns aren't all handheld nuclear gyroc gatling lasers that kill a star with a 4-second burst but need to in order to penetrate the skin-thick DR60,000 exodermal armour of everyone you encounter before their head detatches from their body on vat-grown legs, leaving it to molecularly decay into a miniature black hole?

I just want fucking stah wahs yo.
>>
>>54754816
Do a mixtech campaign. TL8/9 with some black box engines and warp drives no one really understands.
>>
File: vMgt8qS - Imgur.gif (6MB, 640x389px) Image search: [Google]
vMgt8qS - Imgur.gif
6MB, 640x389px
>>54754752
>>
>>54754906
Okay, what the fuck?
>>
>>54754816
>>54754847

You could do space opera with weapons technology locked to TL 8/High Tech book without much problem.

Don't allow handheld laser weapons or blasters. Capping things off with gauss weapons and not permitting Ultra Tech weapons, warheads and ammo results in combat where you aren't eggshells fighting with hammers.
>>
Does cosmic DR protect you completely against normal attacks or is it just completely unnegatible armor?
>>
>>54756180
Just unnegatable, not infinite. IIRC, it doesn't even protect against mundane armor divisors; it only affects attacks that normally ignore armor for extreme reasons.
>>
>>54756229
Then why even buy it?

It doesn't even do anything for 1000 points I have a person who doesn't even survive a point blank shotgun blast, but for 500 I have a person who could just laugh it off
>>
>>54756317
It's like insurance. You hopefully won't need it, but if you're ever up against cheating godmodding assholes, you're going to be really glad you bought it. For what it's worth, if you're a 1000-point super, I would expect to see some cheating godmodding assholes. Also, isn't it at the +50% level? That's not that expensive, especially when you consider you have 1000 points.
>>
>>54756374
I'll be darned it is +50% thought it was +300%

What this doesn't answer is why anyone would take it over IT(DR) for 750 points of cosmic DR you get 100 DR

While for IT DR you divide everything by 2000 and round down
>>
What would one at TL 12^ even wear for clothes?

Is it acceptable to be commando in a battle suit?
>>
>>54756481
Ultra-Tech has energy cloth and holobelts. Commando battlesuit is called that for a reason.
>>
>>54753662
So just a perk

Perk(spacemart 20,000)
>>
Is it worth making a fully stealth character?

I'm thinking about making a metal gear TL 12 op for a supers game(1000 points)

Two questions:
what advantages would be great for a character like this?

Would it be worth it to buy dodge up to an extreme level?
>>
>>54750194
>It is allowed
>>54750654
>should be allowed
Don't confuse people, please.
>>
>>54753610
There's no difference point-wise because not being able to buy something isn't considered a major issue. Other character types don't start out with extra points if they're marooned or other se away from places they can spend money at. Also, buying above your tech level is STUPID EXPENSIVE, so yeah, you may not be able to buy that plasma rifle 4 TLs above you after the game starts, but I don't think you'll have trouble finding other uses for half-a-million bucks.
>>
>>54757466
I have multimillionaire 5 totaling to a value of 1 trillion dollars.

And 5 levels of independent income (5e10)

This +4 levels of higher tech level allows me to have 12^ for 200 points.

300 points games are nuts man
>>
File: nausicaa-3.jpg (255KB, 1507x1262px) Image search: [Google]
nausicaa-3.jpg
255KB, 1507x1262px
>>54727259
>Nausicaa
My nigga.

Speaking of, what's the best way to do a toxic jungle type environment?
The Sea of Corruption is far more interesting than "normal jungle + giant bugs and dangerous plants" however both flavors of evil rainforest have a place in my setting.
>>
>>54757521

You gotta re-read page 27 man.

Multimillionaire is typically limited to 3 or 4 levels in games where it is allowed.

Multimillionaire 5 cost 175 points on it's own and would give you 200 billion in a TL 8 game. Starting Wealth is always based on campaign TL wealth, not your personal TL.

Independent Income, in this case, would provide 10 billion per month at the cost of 5 points.

So you've spent 180 points to be rich as fuck, but you did so by going past the normal limits on multimillionaire and are likely in grounds where it's going to be very hard to justify things. Why do you have so much money? Who pays your independent income? How do you defend your wealth from legal and physical challenges that could take it?

Every TL 12 item you buy in game, if you can find it, cost 16 times list price, but you can easily afford it unless you want to start trying to buy spacecraft. Higher TL does not ensure continued access to higher TL equipment.

>>54757309

At a 1000 point supers game? If that's what tickles your fancy. There's no point in going past 15 dodge and many enemy attacks won't be anything that can be dodged, every defense you have will be targeted. Super Stealth Man is a fun idea, but given at 1000 points you'd be up with literal gods then it might not stack up so well.
>>
>>54758239
It's not really a wealth, kind of a wealth with limiter. So I can't use it to buy a cheeseburger, but I can buy a space cheeseburger.

I didn't know about the lower tl wealth thing man. Hopefully my gm will allow the perk(space market)
>>
>>54725937
Absolute customization, refining and balancing rules. It could potentially lead to an easier learning curve, depending on the matching of modules, it could ease in the very least the introduction to new players and the introductory task of veteran ones.
>>
>>54757444
>AOA(double) gives you second attack against same or another target with same or different weapons at cost of active defence isnt allowed
>And rapid strike gives you second attack against same or another target with same or different weapons at -6 penalty, which you can buy out with Quck-shot tech for [7], and which is halved by some advantages is allowed
Yes it is pretty confusing
>>
>>54758239
>why so much coins
My surname is rothschild.
>who pays?
See above.
>How do you defend it
I basically own the world, you own nothing goyim.
>>
File: Targeted Attack - Weapon.png (2MB, 1964x780px) Image search: [Google]
Targeted Attack - Weapon.png
2MB, 1964x780px
Is there a simple fix for larger-than-life or even outright cinematic games that makes targeting weapons for destruction a more viable tactic? Even against a Small Knife, a successful hit with a .357 Magnum round does not result in an instantly broken blade.
>>
>>54760585
Skip all of that and just roll vs. HT for weapon breakage? Or, hell, skip even that and just say if a weapon's intentionally attacked, it's broken.
>>
>>54726049
>Around half of the Basic Set's Advantages have a little face symbol which means "exotic, requires GM permission". At the very least, the GM needs to issue a blanket ruling on which (if any) of these are permitted, and players need to ignore the many choices ruled off-limits.
Is there a digital version of the Basic Set that will allow me to filter out exotic Advantages and skills of the wrong progress level?
>>
>>54760770
No, and there never will be.
>>
>>54760811
So all I can do is copy everything into Excel?
>>
>>54760820
Or you could just curate a custom GCS library that removes all of the exotic advantages and disadvantages and "skills of the wrong progress level," whatever that means.
>>
>>54760811
I wouldn't say never, but definitely not as long as Steve is in charge.
>>
File: YouAreAPirate.jpg (31KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
YouAreAPirate.jpg
31KB, 600x600px
>>54760840
Whelp.
>>
I'm going to run a game where the players are a squad of combat engineers in Vietnam. Anyone have information on how those squads where laid out and the equipment and resources they had?
>>
>>54755581
Handheld laser weapons are a staple of star wars...
>>
>>54760585
A weapon is likely to get pulled out of someone's hand if hit by a gun, at least.

>>54760724
Solid ideas.
>>
>>54761690
Are there any rules for disarming someone by shooting their gun without destroying it in the process?
>>
>>54760962

A squad of combat engineers for the US Army in 'nam would be about 10 men led by a sergeant. They'd be armed with colt 1911 a long arm, typically an M14 rifle before '67 and a M16 after, though some would instead be armed with M1 or M2 carbines, or M3 sub-machine guns. The Winchester 1200 shotgun was available, but somewhat uncommonly used.

They'd also tend to have grenades. Colored smoke for marking, white phosphorous (mostly a smoke and incendiary defoliant, in truth, but very lethal in enclosed buildings. Always deploy from cover, fragmentation range is greater then the distance an average marine can throw it). Thermite to destroy equipment.

A Dodge M37 loaded with tools was the basic engineering machine. Inside would be a pretty solid kit of tools for measuring, chopping, grading, demolition and earthmoveing, along with a wench up front.

Rarely used, but there, was the M728 CEV, basically a tank with a fuckhuge demolition gun up front and a dozer blade and a crain. A very dramatic bit of gear if you do have call to use it.

When building shit combat engineers had a hell of a lot of resources. Power tools, heavy earthmoveing equipment, explosives, tons and tons of cement and rebar and all the Quonset huts you could ask for. If trucks could reach the location shit was getting built at you could get all you needed. If trucks can't get their, your first job will be building enough road that they can.

When deployed to counter fortifications, engineers would help breach defensive hard points and clear minefields, then help either reinforce the captured fortification to keep it or, far more commonly, fuck the place up and destroy all the usable material to deny it to the opposing force.

Like everyone else deployed in the field, they'd also be called on to defend bases and fortification. If the bad guys hit the wire or start dropping shells inside it, you get out of bed and help deal with it.
>>
>>54762134
Ya, shoot their arm or hand. If you deal enough damage to cripple it (which you will, barring power armor or them being made of Iron), they drop what they're holding. I can't remember if shock and knockdown does anything because it's been a while, but it can't hurt to check real quick.

>>54762147
Thanks man. This is all really good. Would one of those ten men be a medic or a carrying a radio? Also how irregular would it be for them to get their hands on a M60?
>>
>>54725937
Just read HERO
>>
If I had a wizard with unkillible 2-3 and regeneration(extreme)

If I cast a spell solely with hp that costs 100 energy, do I cast the spell then die or do I just die?
>>
>>54764973
Do you have 20 hp? If so, you'll be making HT rolls to stay conscious/alive until you reach -5x hp.

If you don't, the spell fizzles because it runs out of juice.

If you have 100hp, knock yourself out.
>>
>>54765078
So get 20 hp and a high HT?
>>
>>54765112
Yeah, might be cheaper just to buy the 100hp though. Does the spell -have- to use your HP? Can you sacrifice animals to cast it?
>>
>>54765168
I'm thinking about quick and dirtying a thing.

So probably not.

On that note, how many enchanted items should a mags start with especially if he is an ageless enchanter?
>>
Here's a thing.

It costs 4 points to cast and maintain a warrior, if you have skill 30 with this spell, then it costs nothing.

If you then give it independence(3) you can make a bunch of independent warriors

Or as I like to call it army in a can
>>
What does one roll to prevent someone else from drawing your gun from your holster?
>>
>>54765936
I'd be punching their arm, so a cqc skill or just a general DX roll

Or if you try to grab the gun first QuickDraw
>>
>>54765936
Dodge/Parry/Whatever to protect your gun.
Or grab their hand if they already have a hold on it.
>>
>>54765936
In general, I'd say maybe an active defense? You can either pull or turn away from them (dodge) or knock their hand away (parry).

Actually, yeah this is basically just them trying to grapple your weapon, so I'd treat it as a normal grapple.
>>
>>54762272
SEALS in Vietnam, despite the focus on those spooky spec-ops types has a load of information and crunch for any GURPS Nam game though you've probably already read it.

GRUNT however is possibly the best Vietnam game, and contains a huge amount information on well, the average Grunt and his squad. Very well written and worth reading to steal ideas from no matter the system.
>>
I need some help thinking of a good word to describe a Status.

Setting is a near-future earth. America, in a bid to keep up with China in a cold-war scenario has a sort-of eugenics program where they encourage highly talented and intelligent people to produce children. The government sponsors these people, regularly performs aptitude tests on the kids, and funds the best kids through universities.

What would be a good, doublespeak-like word for the government to give this program? Something that doesn't scream "eugenics" as much as it says "america rewards prestige".
>>
>>54767535
The X Program

Where X is a shlocky american buzzword like 'patriot' or 'providence' or 'manifest destiny'.

Americans drink up anything if it has flags and eagles.
>>
>>54762272
Typically combat engineers wouldn't have a medic attached at the squad level, but a squad would have a AN/PRC-77 radio.

>Heavy weapons

Getting their hands on pretty much any heavy weapon would be relatively easy. Building entrenchments and encampments or repairing machines means they would handle MMGs like the M60 very often, likewise M2 and mortars.

It would be irregular for them to haul a pig into a fight, but not outside the field of possibility, especially if they'd been planning to build a fighting position and run into contact before then.
>>
>>54767835
I don't know, backpack radios are more infantry. Truck mounted was how engineers rolled.
>>
Do I have to spend points on an ally to have a space vechile?

How do you get vechiles?
>>
>>54768766
Money.
>>
>>54768766
Check out "The Captain's Boat" in issue #3/71 of Pyramid; it talks about buying spaceships with points as Patrons based on both the ship's power and how often it affects the story beyond "getting the party from one adventure to the next."
>>
>>54766001
>>54766017
>>54766021
So what would the 'attack' be?

A grapple?
>>
>>54771007
Yeah the attacker is rolling against DX or an appropriate hand-skill for grabbing the small item

The defender is rolling a relevant defense (dodge or block or parry) to stop said attack
>>
>>54765936
>>54771007
>Retain Weapon
>Hard
>Default: prerequisite skill. Prerequisite: Any Melee Weapon skill; cannot exceed prerequisite skill+5.

>If you know this technique above default, you may use it instead of the underlying skill whenever someone attempts to disarm you (see Striking at Weapons, p. 400). For instance, if you have Staff-13 and Retain Weapon (Staff)-16, you resist disarm attempts as if you had Staff-16.

>You can also learn this technique for missile weapons, such as guns and bows. In that case, it defaults to DX and cannot exceed DX+5.

>Retention Holster (TL8)
>Modern hip holsters, especially those used by police, are sometimes designed to prevent an assailant from snatching the holstered sidearm. Without a specific twist or tilt, the pistol won’t come out of such a holster, even if it’s turned upside down. This makes it difficult for anyone but the wearer to draw the gun. The owner gets +2 to his Retain Weapon technique (p. B232) while his weapon is holstered. $100, 0.5 lb. LC4.

Stealing a cop's pistol from his retention holster (for example) is a disarming attempt using DX or a grappling skill of your choice, and you are at -5 to hit plus an additional -2, for a total of -7. Do not halve this as for grabbing a bodypart (B400). If your target does not suffessfully defend (Dodge, and if I was GMing I'd allow Parry), you then roll a Quick Contest of your Disarm vs. their Retain Weapon. Both of these default to Weapon Skill at +0, so a cop would roll at Guns (Pistol) +2 with their retention holster, and the target would roll DX, or a Judo/Wrestling/Sumo Wrestling Disarm.

General question: How does being stunned affect quick contests? If the cop was surprised, I don't know if that retain weapon roll should be unpenalized, penalized, or even allowed.
>>
>>54767106
I'll check out GRUNT, thanks.

>>54767835
You've been a great help. Thanks.
>>
>>54768911
Yea but where do I get the cost of a TL 12^ combat vechile?
>>
Hi there. I'm not a huge fan of GURPS, but I got directed over here from /osrg/ by a kindly anon who suggested Dungeon Fantasy for a more Dark Souls experience. Can you guys give me the quick rundown on Dungeon Fantasy's advantages from the GM-side?
>>
>>54773283
>Can you guys give me the quick rundown on Dungeon Fantasy's advantages from the GM-side?
They're great and short books, to make up for the Basic Set core-sized. In general default GURPS is a lethal experience, but most games stray from the default (either more hardcore lethality or a more relaxed experience).

Take a moment to mention what you're looking for, what you envision in a dark souls kind of game, and people might be able to tell you a lot more. Most of the time people think what they want is obvious, but with a game as varied as GURPS, there really isn't much room for mind-reading.
>>
>>54773283
/osr/anon here. Dungeon Fantasy is a series with over 30 products, so I'll just focus on the four big ones: 1, 2, 3, 15, and 16. Just some basic stuff that Dungeon Fantasy does that really helps new people, both GM and player:

>Templates: All of the major archetypes people play are already "statted up," with some freedom to choose what advantages, disadvantages, and skills you want. Chargen can be done in 10 minutes once you understand how they work, which you should by the end of your first character.

>Pre-made races: DF3 is just a bunch of races and "lens" that let you futher customize templates to your liking. Lots of player options here, and GMs can use them for enemies (just take a normal human and slap the Orc template on it, give them Skill 12 for mooks, 15 for tribe leaders, etc.)

>Gear lists: Includes all dungeon delving basics, down to 10' poles and iron spikes. Also includes potions, poisons, weapon and armor modifiers, and some stuff for magic items.

>Dungeon rules: DF2 includes everything needed for the GM to run most any dungeon they want, from getting there to exploring and social encounters. As long as you're willing to stat up a few things, such as traps, it does most of the work for you. Includes some monsters. See GURPS Wikidot for more traps/monsters for free.

>Wilderness rules: DF16 has everything regarding the wilderness. Literally everything.

>Henchmen rules: DF15 has everything you'll need for henchmen. Doubles as low-level character book with low point total tempaltes

And when all is said and done, there are still many more entries in the series that you'll find useful. Dungeon Fantasy Monsters is a huge help. In October there will be a Dungeon Fantasy boxed set that comes as a standalone product so you can hide the GURPS from your players.

Be mindful that, by default, the templates make you around level 5~8 in 3.PF terms. Use DF15 for gritty play. You'll also want to read Tactical Combat and use combat cards to learn.
>>
File: Bestiary, D&D.pdf (504KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Bestiary, D&D.pdf
504KB, 1x1px
>>54773283
A lot of the work is done for you. What rules to apply are spelled out in plain text, all the math is already done and hidden away, and character options have been whittled down to only what's appropriate for high-fantasy dungeon crawls. You don't mess with modifiers or any of that stuff--for example, the Knight either takes the Greater Cleaving powerup or he doesn't, simple as that--and character creation is done through mandatory templates, easing character creation (which IMO is more of a benefit for GMs than players). The only thing that still needs you to do the legwork is monster creation as the example list is lacking (though fanmade codices have essentially fixed this, as have multiple magazine articles, blog posts by devs, etc.)

If you don't necessarily like how GURPS *plays*, then DF won't make a difference. However, if what makes you dislike GURPS is the amount of prep it takes to turn the toolbox into a functioning coherent campaign, DF may be your thing as it's as close to out-of-the-box gaming as GURPS gets.
>>
>>54772848

Vehicle

Spaceships and it's companion books are a great place for this. Hovertanks and starfighters are covered in Ultra-Tech and the Basic Set.
>>
>>54773501
>>54773507
>>54773515
>54773515
Mostly I whipped up a bunch of homebrew rules for emulating some of the feeling of Dark Souls in OSR, or borrowed them from elsewhere - stuff like the Rally system from Bloodborne (borrowed from a 5e homebrew), equippable magic spells, a simple parry/dodge system, and a focus on the players making most of the tactical decisions quickly and cleanly rather than getting bogged down in little fiddly details.

The thing that's most important to me, in a Dark Souls game, is the players having lots of tactical options to respond to enemies, and having a lot of control over those options to make risk vs. reward gambles in a relatively fast-paced environment. Players knowing what they can do at any given time and having to make snap decisions about whether to risk that parry for a killshot or dodge out of the way of the attack and try again next round are just offshoots of the idea that the player has all the control in what happens to him.

I don't love how GURPS plays but I don't really like dismissing things out of hand, and I'm willing to give it a shot and fiddle with it even if it's just for ideas I can mine. How does it handle parry and dodging?
>>
>>54773785
Equippable magic spells are easily done with GURPS. I believe you have to power them with your own FP by default. If you want MP to be a separate pool from fatigue, give people an Energy Reserve equal to Will at the start of play, and make that MP. Parrying and dodging is simple in GURPS: You roll against your effective parry or dodge score, and if you roll at or under, you succeed. The meat and bones comes from modifiers: things like shields and defensive options raise your defenses, and things like bad footing and enemies making "Deceptive Attacks" lowers it. GURPS combat, especially using the Tactical Combat chapter, is all about tactical decisions. GURPS melee and ranged combat is very deep and centers around positioning and modifiers. It will be slow when you first start out, so I suggest using Combat Cards and sticking to Basic Set: Campaigns' combat rules.

The tactical depth of GURPS combat is so great that players can often find themselves in a spot of "analysis paralysis." Putting a time limit on moves (One minute for new players, fifteen seconds or less when they're experienced) works, as does using a mechanic called "Trademark Moves," where you pay one point to get a +1 to a specific combat action, like "As a rapid strike, I swing at the neck with my sword as a Deceptive Attack, then kick them away from me with a push kick." Then you write the skil levels for those rolls.

Speed will come with experience and through using Dungeon Fantasy 2's "And Stay Down!" rules that keep the weaker enemies from slowing down combat.

As an example of "risking the parry for a killshot," that's an example of using optional combat rules from Martial Arts, a riposte. You penalize your defense to penalize your target's defenses next turn. If you were doing it as a killshit, you would make the attack next round as an All-Out Attack (Strong) for extra damage and target the vitals, skull, or another high-priority hit location.
>>
>>54773781
Am looking through spaceships

Can someone explain to me how dDR works, like if a shot it with a normal gun or something?
>>
>>54774540
It's decade scale damage reduction

Normal scale is unmodified. Decade scale is shorthand for "everything is 10 times bigger"
>>
How to model "Martial Knowledge/Experience" Power Modifier? Will it worth -5% or -10%?
>>
>>54776266
That's a bit broad, anon, in what way is it limiting? Advantages CAN have +0% modifiers, you know.
>>
>>54776266
See Powers pp. 20-29
If isn't limiting but still here then it's just +0%
>>
>>54776266
Is there going to be explicate defenses and ways to counter those powers? If there's rules for how it's used and whole areas it won't function in at all, then it can get the -10%. If there's a few explicate counters then it might get -5%. If it doesn't have any real downside on it's own, then it's -0% like cybernetic.

Basically, if someone can shut you down like an anti-psi or a low manna area, -10%. If someone can beat your Rock style with their Water Style and make your Rock powers useless, -10%.
>>
I'm a little new, and only really had experience with Basic Set and some DF supplements. What do you suggest for steampunk/magitech airships (like Eberron).
>>
>>54777942
Buy Vehicles: Steampunk Conveyances
>>
>>54778001
is the PDF in the mega?
>>
File: 1494836598321.jpg (592KB, 800x1018px) Image search: [Google]
1494836598321.jpg
592KB, 800x1018px
>>54777942
>>54778001
There's also GURPS spaceships 7, Divergent and Paranormal Tech if you want to go for steampunk spacecraft.
>>
>>54778534
Not yet. It is still new, and hasn't been added yet.
>>
File: ss+(2017-08-08+at+10.32.55).png (109KB, 678x400px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2017-08-08+at+10.32.55).png
109KB, 678x400px
>>54778570
The cheeky kunts included a tardis.
>>
Could a thing like unkillible be cosmic?

Like (+300%)- actually never dies

Does regeneration continue to move up the super abilities chart?
>>
>>54781820
It could, but it's more the sort of thing a GM will toss at you more than the sort of thing you'll ever get to play with as a player.
>>
>>54781820
It's gotta be cheaper to just by Unkillable II normally and Regeneration (Extreme; Only when "dead", -40%). That also gives you a couple seconds of putting yourself back together, which I think is cool.
>>
I'm about to start writing up a 'boiled down' skill list for an early TL6 game I'll be running. It'll be for example merging architecture and masonry, removing non-TL-appropriate skills like parachuting and reducing the technical skill specialisations to 3-4 apiece.

Any advice from the old hands before I start?
>>
>>54782413
If you're merging skills, a limitation of 3-4 technical skills may not be so bad, but on the surface it seems very limiting for anyone playing a professor or skillmonkey type.
>>
>>54782413
How about using wildcard skills?
>>
>>54782468
I want to leave enough skills for it to still have some depth. Considering using Lite as my baseline and adding/removing from there.

>>54782493
Too far in the other direction, and too expensive.
>>
Do you allow allies in high point games?

Cause I just realized that you could get a suit of armor with 1M points for 380 points if you character has 1000
>>
>>54782654
Why not? If someone comes at me with something degenerate I just need to say 'no'. A million points is more than anyone could feasibly spend, anyways.
>>
>>54782829
To be fair I could spend it
>>
File: Snowfall_by_Marianna_Orlova.jpg (502KB, 2048x2048px) Image search: [Google]
Snowfall_by_Marianna_Orlova.jpg
502KB, 2048x2048px
Would the children of nobility have a lower status than their parents, particularly if they don't stand to inherit anything significant? It seems this is the case with Royal Family, which would possess Status 6, while the King themselves possesses Status 7.

A Baron's daughter, for example, wouldn't be expected to have the means to pay for a Status 4 lifestyle (60k a month) by herself.
>>
>>54782413
>merging architecture and masonry
Like know how to lay stones same as calculating fundament pressure and other design shit?

>removing non-TL-appropriate skills like parachuting
FIrst parachutes was made for getting out from hot air balloon in 18th century

>Any advice from the old hands before I start?
Give points specifically for skills everyman, profission and other useless skill. And speak with players. And listen to players. Dialog thing, you probably should know about this.
I never understand that all shit about "I need fewer skill in my game, but i don't give you WC, coz they OP and expensive", especially when i was player in such games. Like da fug, dude, why u can't just give us more points for skills and set fine tuned skillcaps, not that fucking 60/-50. Man, we alredy spend 90% on "not be killed by random punk with knife" and "shutdown that motherfucka before he kills us" things. Like he was planned that fact that we will buy mostly combat and combat related skills and we will do this not because we short on points, but because we was Players which means we want to play only as killing machines, so he sure he need fewer skills for us so we can afford something aside Guns, Stealth and Brawling
>>
>>54782936
I don't know, do children have political pull in your setting.

Some lords gave their children land which gave their kids taxes, so feesilby a kid could pay for high status.

Or ruling is a job, which would pay for the status
>>
>>54782936
Do royalty have Status? Generally they are the state unless there is also a parliament or senate.
>>
>>54782898
You're right, just 100000ST would do the trick, maybe the word 'feasible' was a mistake. It's definitely impractical if you want to make anything deeper than 'buy raw stats up the ass'.
>>
>>54783120
I'd get both super effort strength and IT tolerance(DR)

And a ridiculous innate attack
>>
How do you make a magical battery character?

Like an ally that holds energy for a wizard?
>>
Is it just me or is Discriminatory Smell completely overpriced at 15 points?

It's niche as hell, and in most situations where it's useful sight remains a better option.
>>
>>54782936
I'd say no. They have their parent as a Patron to help cover the bills and throw around their aristocratic weight. They may also have a related Reputation as well as whatever advantages the peerage have, like a form of Legal Immunity, Social Regard, etc.
>>
>>54782979
>Like know how to lay stones same as calculating fundament pressure and other design shit?
With both skills being rolled perhaps once in a campaign, that's a reasonable leap, yes.

Same reason there's not 12 skills for cooking food, while realistically there could well be.

>FIrst parachutes
Game isn't set in earth, probably won't have parachutes.

>speak with players
That's a given, but this is pregame work. I want to bring this list along to session 0.

>I never understand
Wildcard skills are too broad and not really what I want to go for. It will be a dieselpunk setting so naturally I want avenues for dedicated mechanics, medics, aviators, without shutting things right down to a single skill. At the same time I don't want to be deciding which of the 18 electronics-related skills it is to fix a radio just to find that he didn't take it and his default puts him at 10 skill.

>extra points for skills
By narrowing the number of skills, I narrow the required points to fill a niche. Theoretically that should make pointsinks less bad.
>>
>>54783736
I feel that the ability to track scents and remember individual scents can be hard to plan around as a GM if they're planning on including any degree of exploration or mystery solving in their games.

>>54783176
Depends on the magic system; some allow assistants to spend FP (or HP) to help a friendly caster. If the mage is your PC and you're literally looking to make an Ally that gives extra energy, the easiest solution is to just buy Energy Reserve (Granted by Ally, -40%) independent of any points you spend on the ally.
>>
>>54783176
Have the wizard buy an Energy Reserve with the Granted By Familiar or Drains Familiar (DF5, p. 20) limitation.

You could also give the ally Healing with Heals FP instead of HP, +0%, or give the wizard Leech.
>>
File: tumblr_nz5nhnLlTB1uw6gozo4_1280.jpg (160KB, 960x699px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nz5nhnLlTB1uw6gozo4_1280.jpg
160KB, 960x699px
>>54784101
It's a whole other information channel and that can be hard a GM to work with, especially when only one person has it and the others aren't getting the same information.
>>
File: 1501318059834.jpg (573KB, 1920x1423px) Image search: [Google]
1501318059834.jpg
573KB, 1920x1423px
>>54788344
I've got a player in my weekly game, Grimwyrd, who bought scent. So far he's memorized the smells of the party, the stench of demons, death, plague, and bloodwine. Everytime I drop a room description, he gets a PM of any major stank in the area. That, and any tracking/investigation for him involves stink too.

It's fun for me, makes me think of things in another dimension

Now, on top of that, he and another player each bought Detect powers recently: he got (spirits) and the other took (magic).
So now I need to accurately describe any major spooks in the area as well as all specific magic auras on mages, artifacts and active magic effects.

Wheeeeeee bookkeeping
>>
>>54788631
I am glad to see this game is still going ahead.

Sideburns, you are a pillar of stability and integrity in a sea of flakey shit GMs.
>>
File: 1499282080977.jpg (231KB, 1280x1186px) Image search: [Google]
1499282080977.jpg
231KB, 1280x1186px
>>54788739
Danke!
If I've learned anything over the years, it's that consistency is key. Host a game? Do it regular. Daily, weekly, monthly, whatever. Just do it consistently. And be human when it comes to rescheduling.

Also, when in doubt; mooks. Can't go wrong with that. Ninjas, robot, zombies, whatever works.
>>
>>54788631
>Scent
>Detectors
>need to accurately describe any random shit what player will find from that he should find and actually found
Oh, thats why i hate scry, divination and telepathy in my games...
>>
File: 5c1.png (32KB, 591x275px) Image search: [Google]
5c1.png
32KB, 591x275px
>>54788631
>>54788906

So each room needs..
1) What you can see, hear and smell for normal senses.
2) What Discriminatory Scent can smell
3) Paranormal Activity in two flavors (spirit and magic)
4) Anything hidden and the difficulty for finding it, for sight, super scent, magic and spirit scans.

It is a hell of a checklist but the big things it adds is 2 and 3.
>>
File: 1500606205158.jpg (542KB, 1139x1599px) Image search: [Google]
1500606205158.jpg
542KB, 1139x1599px
>>54789328
It's actually kinda lucky; detect magic was bought at the "accurate" level, so it's just "you see a necromancer; he has a strong transmutation:flight active and his cloak of shadows provides DR30(Ablatative) and DB+1"

No subtlety or nuances, just [effect]. What really throws the player for a loop is that the character is not formally trained in Thaumatology yet, and the detect sense is an aftereffect of some greater knowledge in universe, so the curious elf gets all the info, but often gets lost in the nuances. It all rolls off the cuff pretty great in game.
>>
>>54789328
Also regarding 3:
Spirit magic is natural occurring. Motes, elementals, any house spirits, ghosts or ghouls, and most fey register on the spirit realm. The barrier between worlds shattered recently(thanks to the party via the Ansible of Spirits) and now the spirits can manifest pretty much will nilly. A side effect is the motes, slugs and leeches of the spirit world tend to congregate around strong dark emotions and feed on evil thoughts. Lots of them floating about the bad guys and their territory.

Meanwhile, manufactured magic from spells, abilities and the like are visible as their Thaumatology formulae, typically circles of glowing power that can be deciphered. If you can detect magic, and read magic, you can learn magic. Simple.
>>
Next game I'm playing in is going to have lots of shotgun action. Could somebody please post that shotgun rules help image again? I did not save it.
>>
File: 1425753602310.png (2MB, 2668x1536px) Image search: [Google]
1425753602310.png
2MB, 2668x1536px
>>54790375

Here you go. Offered without comment.
>>
>>54790455
Thanks!
>>
>>54790455
Didn't someone edit this to take out all the unnecessary parts?
>>
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what's a non-convoluted way to increase the basic damage a character deals with firearms? There seems to be a fair number of ways to increase the basic damage you can deal with muscle-powered weapons (Striking ST, Weapon Master, Etc.), but none for guns.
>>
File: 1354371137013.png (3KB, 209x215px) Image search: [Google]
1354371137013.png
3KB, 209x215px
>>54790375
>>54790455

Why am I suspect about this exchange. You and that fucking image.
>>
>>54790696
Shoot the vitals, skull, or eyes. Use +P ammunition. Use hollow-points. Use a bigger gun. Buy the gun as an innate attack and make it do as much damage as you want.
>>
>>54790696
Muscle weapons are based on the muscle power of a wielder.
Gunpowder weapons are based on mechanical design of the weapon.

There are multiple avenues to increasing a PC's strength, and thus his damage output with a MPweapon.
There are few avenues (ammunition type, high and Ultratech upgrades) for advancing gunpowder weapons.

They are not intended to function identically, in respects to access to damage output enhancements.

Do you understand?
>>
>>54790815
I understand what you're saying, and I know what I want isn't realistic. But in other game systems characters who are have a special talent for using guns CAN do more damage than anyone else can with any firearm, and I wanted to achieve that effect in GURPS.
>>
>>54790852
You would have to make it a specific supernatural power, generally being better with guns means you can hit more often and aim at more precise locations, not actually doing more damage.
>>
>>54790852
Innate Attack with Follow-Up then.
>>
>>54790852
You could arguably apple Weapon Master to firearms. That would give bonus damage and improved Quick Shooting (the ranged version of Rapid Strike), along with access to certain appropriate cinematic skills, techniques, and perks (Gun-Fu has a lot of these). Gunslinger would still be necessary for the automatic Acc bonus, negation of Bulk, and other benefits listed in Gun-Fu.
>>
>>54790963
>>54790933
>>54790852
What these guys said then; make an innate attack, make it accessible via guns, and govern it judiciously.
>>
File: 008 - COg47x2.png (4MB, 1918x2124px) Image search: [Google]
008 - COg47x2.png
4MB, 1918x2124px
>>54757927
>Speaking of, what's the best way to do a toxic jungle type environment?
I am curious about this as well. About the only thing I remember was that respiratory failure was guaranteed if you were exposed for more than a few minutes. And that prolonged exposure even with masks would result in the stiffening of the body and joints.
>>
>>54790852
Take a look at Power Ups 1 - Imbuements
>>
File: SW.jpg (57KB, 842x283px) Image search: [Google]
SW.jpg
57KB, 842x283px
>>54790852
>But in other game systems characters who are have a special talent for using guns CAN do more damage than anyone else can with any firearm
And pretty much of them are kind of level-based shit like head shots, vital organs shots, armor avoid shots and new types of ammunition (yes, only level 10 archer can use bodkin point arrows, coz others are too stupid for that), which in some cases require special token for activation, or there gun damage was based on something else than muzzle energy, just for gamedesign ideas of grinding tens or hundreds HP from yet another monster.
So, please, bring 3 examples which we probably will try adapt to gurps reality or you can remade all weapons as Innate Attacks and do what you want with their damage.
>>
I didn't know who to ask, so I assumed you guys would know the most about obscure facts and trivia.
Say for a sci-fi setting I wanted to make a human-sized humanoid alien race that reproduces via production of eggs: The male impregnates the female and she lays one or more eggs, which are protected by the family until the child is born and breaks from the egg.
If the aliens are capable of passing as humans, what would the eggs look like? Dino eggs? How long would they take to develop in the mother? Will the child start out tiny as fuck and grow from there? How would they best be incubated? Will the nature of their birth have any long-term effects on their body structure besides not having a belly button?
Am I overthinking this?
>>
>>54793277
And by 'tiny as fuck' I mean like chicken egg size, not ostrich egg size.
>>
>>54793277
Same as Humans, exept
>Father fertilize ovule, egg grows in mother, then she gave birth to egg, which have size close to human infant.
Think about this as reproducing with artificial womb.
Time for every stage is up to you.
Also check Platypus
>>
>>54793277
A human-ish creature that hatched from a chicken egg would be born at an extremely primitive point in development. They'd be absurdly vulnerable for the first year.

>>54793466
Marsupials are a good example of creatures born at a very early stage in development. The blind and helpless young take a very long time to develop. You don't necessarily need a pouch, but the nest would be very, very well controlled and protected environment, like an incubation machine.
>>
>>54793466
>>54793908
The setting in mind has psionics, so I had considered having the race use psionics to instinctively sustain their undeveloped children at some point during evolution, and then they developed into an intelligent psionic race.
That seemed like a cop-out to me, so I'll look more into this.
>>
>>54793277
>monotremes
Expect less mature young, and an egg-incubation period of around 1:1 ratio to the internal carriage.
>>
>>54793139
>>54790696

GURPS is odd because you only need so much damage. A man that fights other men without armor can do so with a gun able to do 11 damage. In a realistic game you really only need to do 10 to 20 wounding damage to take out a target. Overkill isn't very useful.

Adding armor changes things a bit, as you need to get that 10 to 20 past armor, something you can do with more base damage but in many ways it makes more sense to use armor divisors then to just increase base damage.

That said, >>54790802
wraps this up pretty well. More ST lets you use extra powerful ammunition (in High Tech) to do more damage, and of course just use bigger, heavier guns.
>>
>>54725437
>all these need gurps pod books this summer
Gurps is finally not dead again!

It's so hard to convince people to play a game if the paper books are out of print and the only way to get them is to pay $200-$600 a pop for over priced out of print copies or have them jump through hoops to build the book themselves for Lulu.
>>
File: simple shotgun rules.png (3MB, 2841x1545px) Image search: [Google]
simple shotgun rules.png
3MB, 2841x1545px
>>54790455
Infographic was missing a few rules. Updated and fixed it.
>>
>>54790696
Imbuements could work, as would raising skill and firing more shots or targeting the vitals or skull.
>>
>>54791850

Breath mask filters make a HT roll each day. A failed cost the filter a point of HT and one of their two HP.

With a mask, roll HT every day at +3 to resist the poison. Without a mask, or with a filter that's run out of HP, roll every minute.

Make -DX a side effect of the poison, and the terminal state paralysis.

Exploration is about keeping your gear in good working order and knowing when to get out before the toxic shit sinks though your skin or leaks past a wrecked filter.
>>
>>54797220
Thank you.

Since it takes years for the paralysis to set in from constant exposure to the poison, how often should I make players make a DX roll? I don't imagine I would be making a long-term campaign with this type of setting but I could also make it so that paralysis can happen over a course of weeks/months.
>>
>>54797727
I think he was saying have a DX penalty be the result of failed HT rolls to represent the slow paralysis of the body.
>>
>>54799645
Pure DX loss makes you spastic, though, not necessarily unable to move.
>>
>>54802390
Wouldn't DX0 give you basic move 0?
>>
>>54790696
Simplest way I can think of is to make sure that character has a very high skill. If they can still make called shots at hit locations at decent range and hit more often they will by virtue of this do far more damage with the same gun versus a normal person with the same gun.
>>
>>54802474
No, it's still averaged with your non-zero HT. DX 0 does mean that every boring everyday actions done at +10 have only a 50/50 chance of success; for example, the implied DX roll to grab a door handle is no longer a sure thing, and you're so shaky and uncoordinated that there's a good chance of you missing when punching at a wall.

Even if DX 0 did drop you to 0 Basic Move, that just means you can't walk; you could still thrash your arms and flail your legs, which is more than paralysis allows for most.
>>
>>54799645
That makes more sense. I'm just getting back to looking through my books and have never ran a game before.

So -DX is just a penalty and I give them the paralysis disadvantage for the worst effect? If I were running this and I didn't want to outright would just taking away 1 DX for each failed HT role be acceptable?
>>
>>54802474
Temporary reduction doesn't affect Basic Speed or Basic Move.
Otherwise it's still (DX+HT)/4 as other anon said.
>>
File: 002_Plague_Mask.jpg (390KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
002_Plague_Mask.jpg
390KB, 600x900px
>>54803313

Sure. You could do it by having a player exposed to the jungle take one Toxic damage to HP on a failed HT roll.

That 1 HP damage has the side effect that it reduces your DX by one. If you heal up, the side effect goes away.

If you want it to have the potential to really fuck someone up fast, have another side effect. If you lose more then 1/2 your normal HP (6 HP for an average person) then you are Paralyzed. Even if you don't do that players will take the damage and DX penalties seriously.

As long as you get regular treatment and wear a mask you could hang out in the jungle without too much trouble, but even a tough person can only survive about a half hour of exposure if their mask fails.

If years of constant exposure cause chronic problems I'd just suggest that players and NPCs might want to take disadvantages to reflect that, but I wouldn't bother reflecting it mechanically. Living in Chicago in 1970 was also deeply unhealthy, but I wouldn't have players take a disadvantage just for breathing the air there.
>>
>>54803986
Shouldn't side effects be by % of HP rather then by HP?

>Half hour

Your math is off. If Jack Badass has HT 13 and Fit he will only lose 1 HP every 10 minutes (~%90 chance to pass) and can take more then an hour of exposure.
>>
>>54803986
>If you want it to have the potential to really fuck someone up fast
That is what I would like to do. I'm reading through the manga to see if I can get a better list of symptoms but so far I do know that 5 minutes of exposure without a filter will result in decay in the lungs.

I could reflect this as you have stated, when they have lost a certain amount of health without treatment to the spores they gain another side effect. I am thinking some form of temporary respiratory disorder and I'll consult my books to see what might fit before trying to make one up myself.

As for taking a disadvantage to reflect long term exposure I like that idea a lot and it solves my problem. I'll chime in whenever I get a bitter list of things I want to do with this idea down. Might even try and find a way to incorporate this into a Mage the Ascension game I'm working on.
>>
>>54791850
>>54805184
>>54803986

Why would anyone go into a place like that with lung melting spores?
>>
>>54806871
Money.
>>
>>54806871
In the manga. Scavenging giant insect corpses to use as construction materials. Also you have to fly over the sea of corruption to get to some places within fuel limits. The toxic forest is also ever expanding so eventually the spores will overrun all of humanity.
>>
>>54807527
Does the manga explain why she doesnt wear underwear
>>
File: latest-4.jpg (40KB, 291x400px) Image search: [Google]
latest-4.jpg
40KB, 291x400px
>>54807719
She wears pants all the time so I am confused by your question.
>>
File: 1440032790075.png (1MB, 889x991px) Image search: [Google]
1440032790075.png
1MB, 889x991px
>>54807719
Why, for the glory of SATAN of course!
>>
>>54802390
Until you get into any combat. Then -DX pretty quickly results in you being unable to move.
>>
>>54809666
Please explain.
>>
File: LIyG5.jpg (71KB, 525x700px) Image search: [Google]
LIyG5.jpg
71KB, 525x700px
>>54812593
Pretty much every skill you use to defend yourself is based on DX. Even a 1 to 3 point penalty can put you at a massive disadvantage.

Fighting for your life at a massive disadvantage is the sort of thing that leads to defeat or death, two states that can often make it hard to move around.
>>
>>54812593
Satan means you'll die.
>>
File: Kolibri2.7mm.jpg (106KB, 600x932px) Image search: [Google]
Kolibri2.7mm.jpg
106KB, 600x932px
What kind of stats would this thing have? One of my players wants to make a two or three foot tall character, and she would just about be the right size to handle this gun like a normal pistol.

What the fuck kind of size modifier would that be? SM -2? How would you even stat someone being like a typical human but shrunk down to half their original height?

Also any stats for a Vz. 61 SMG? I'm trying to think of other guns this character could use. I could see a tiny operator being able to put custom grips and a shoulder stocl on a Vz-61 and handling it like an assault rifle.

Also what about something like this .22 magnum belt fed machine gun?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAgDKR0L2RA
She could carry it around like Rambo if her strength allowed it, or it could still be used as a stationary rifle if a telescopic sight was attached and there was someone else to carry it and set it up.
>>
File: 1420530817363.jpg (22KB, 420x395px) Image search: [Google]
1420530817363.jpg
22KB, 420x395px
>>54813131

3' is about the size of an average 3 and a half year old and would be SM-3. Typical ST would be 3 or so, weight would likely be about 30 pounds.

The 2mm Kolibri would be, eyeballing it, 1d-2 pi-, Range 15/30, Recoil 1, Acc 1, ROF 3, Magazine 6+1, ST 2, Bulk -1, Weight 0.5

Never really intended to engage humans, it was useful for getting stray dogs to fuck off and leave you alone.
>>
>>54725437
Does somebody happen to have Special Ops for third edition? All those in archive are for second.
>>
File: 1351617330484.jpg (295KB, 650x514px) Image search: [Google]
1351617330484.jpg
295KB, 650x514px
>>54813131
>>54813388

You may want to try and talk them out of it, or at least into going a little Dwarfy and being SM-1 but ST 10 because ST 3 means you are looking at 3-4 HP, low enough that 6 damage can kill.
>>
File: gun15.jpg (28KB, 1611x100px) Image search: [Google]
gun15.jpg
28KB, 1611x100px
>>54813131
I dunno about bulk, but i think if it wasn't concealed carry weapon for SM-3 user then probably it should have same bulk as non-concealed carry weapon for SM-0 by proportion. And cost probably can be at least *10 more if it is hand-made, you know, individual work.
Main problem of such small thing is they absurdly small to be worked fine by instruments made for normsl things
Bullet mass, g 0.453
Propellant mass, g 0.007
Casing mass, g 0.0231
Round mass, g 0.4831
Velocity, m/s 202.074
Muzzle energy, J 9.2
Barrel length, mm 64.8
Receiver length, mm 32.4
>>
>>54815491
>110 yard 1/2 range for a bullet with less energy and momentum then an air gun pellet.

That's.. optimistic.
>>
File: gun16.jpg (24KB, 1467x36px) Image search: [Google]
gun16.jpg
24KB, 1467x36px
>>54815667
Nah, it just feature
And anyway, i think 3 g of propellant (around same as .22L cartridge) can destroy tiny gun with chamber pressure (~0.966 cr ex).
Also kolibri should be in HT-PG1 or HT-AG
>>
File: gurps ghost art.jpg (137KB, 648x892px) Image search: [Google]
gurps ghost art.jpg
137KB, 648x892px
G for ghost tits.
>>
File: 1445800682931.jpg (291KB, 1200x1202px) Image search: [Google]
1445800682931.jpg
291KB, 1200x1202px
>>54819661
I prefer mine demonic
>>
>>54815021
I know we're used to shitty art given the official GURPS art, but come on.
>>
>>54816770
1d-3(.5) pi- means that it won't reliably put an eye out and only vitals hits have any hope of dealing damage at all.
>>
New to GURPS. Was wondering which books would deal with mutation (physical and genealogical) and/or corruption (physical and mental, not the political kind). Powers, Bio-tech or something else?
>>
>>54825415
How cinematic are we talking here? After the End, the post-apoc series, has a list of mutant abilities tied to some side effects, which may be useful. Bio-Tech is probably better if you're looking for realistic mutations over time, however, rather than the campier "the bomb dropped so now I'm green and can see in the dark." Horror has a decent corruption system IMO.

If you're new, I'd be cautious of adding in too many books. You can get by with the Basic Set for mutations themselves--AtE just gives you worked examples and hardwired downsides, and Bio-Tech gives examples of what is and is not generally considered reasonable--and corruption could be handled by GM fiat easily enough. Extra books are a double-edged sword in GURPS: on one hand, they give more options and expand the possibilities, but on the other hand, they give more options and your group that's still learning the system is liable to get overwhelmed by everything being thrown at them. Less is more.
>>
>>54743420
There is no hard limit. It's a matter of discussing things with your players and the characters they have in mind and seeing if you're on the same page.
>>
Is there a formula for converting character points into cash for the sake of equipment?

I want to stat some gear up for my snowflake setting and would like a general idea of how to price it - if I can write it up as an advantage then get an idea of price from that it would be swell.
>>
>>54826006
B26 has this exactly in the red box, under "Trading Points for Money".

Basically:
>If you need a little extra money, you may trade character points for it– either at the time of creation or in play. Each point yields 10% of the
campaign’s average starting wealth. Money obtained this way can be saved, invested, gambled, spent on equipment, etc. You are free to spend as many points as you wish, but if you plan to spend more than 10 points, you would be better off just buying Wealth!

> Unlike Wealth, points traded for money do not appear on your character sheet – they are gone. If you exercise this option during character creation, you are worth fewer points than your associates (but you are
better equipped!).

> You can also spend points on specific equipment, if it’s key to your character concept. See Signature Gear, p. 85
>>
>>54826198
Not what I'm looking for. What I want is a way of costing up advantages, I figure it probably exists in one of the many transhuman themed splats.
>>
>>54826255
Metatronic Generators from the Weird Science issue of Pyramid. However, I think the Anon you replied to was telling you to use points-to-cash in reverse; if 1 point gets you $X, then you could argue that something worth 5 points would cost 5*$X.
>>
>>54826423
das ist der güt shit meinder freünd
>>
>>54826255
The same applies to converting point values in abilities to cash in game. It's in the GM section.
>>
File: tumblr_lxykqfm8K01r71atpo1_1280.jpg (85KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lxykqfm8K01r71atpo1_1280.jpg
85KB, 640x960px
>>54826545
>>54826198

So for something like a TL 8, cybernetics or gadgets that provide advantages should cost about $2000 GURPS bucks per point, while a TL 9 game would be $3000.

I don't hate this idea, it's a solid way to cost out powerful items fast. I might go for something more detailed in a lot of games, but if you just want a simple way to deiced how much a magic amulet that shields you from magic should cost, it's good enough for most games.
>>
GMs, how free are you with custom techniques? Do you let players create new ones and improve them? Do you allow players to make up new ones on the spot and just eat the penalty? Does "-1 per special benefit" tend to pass muster in your games?
>>
>>54831226
It rarely comes up. In most cases the GURPS rules cover it already, in the case of Martial Arts stuff, in the rare times it doesn't I tend to be happy to work with a player to do it.
>>
I'm working on a small homebrew version of GURPS Ultra Lite. Main differences will be including Per/Will, rolling for defenses instead of inflicting a penalty, contests, and a small magic system. I might possibly be expanding combat actions, although that's tricky. Anyway, here's the magic system. Please give feedback in line with the balance of GUL (outline):
>Magic skills must be thematic (e.g. Elementalist or Medium, no Wizard)
>Mana Points (MP) = HT. Regain 1 MP per 10 minutes of rest.
>Decide on the effect of the spell. May only be under the effect of one spell at a time.
>Spend one turn concentrating on a visible target within Ranged distance and spend the MP, roll to cast with appropriate skill on the second turn at penalty equal to 2*MP. Targets resist with higher of HT or Will, or roll to defend against damage.
>1 MP (-2) = Single target 1d healing or damage, +/-2 to individual's next (attribute/skill) roll, or a "minor effect"
>2 MP (-4) = Single target 2d healing or damage, Group 1d healing or damage, +/-2 to individual's (attribute/skill) rolls for an hour or a group's next (attribute/skill) roll, or a "major effect"
>4 MP (-8) = Single target 4d healing or damage, Group 2d healing or damage, +/-6 to an individual's next (attribute/skill) roll, +/-4 to a group's (attribute/skill) rolls for an hour, or a "grand effect"
>"Minor effects" include cleaning an object no larger than a person, moving IQ lbs. or less up to 10 yards away, monosensory illusions, a gust of air knocking someone from Melee to Ranged, etc.
>"Major effects" include cleaning an entire room, moving IQ * 10 lbs. or less up to 20 yards away, multisensory illusions, summoning a monster with Warrior 2, etc.
>"Grand effect" should be discussed with the GM.

Hopefully balanced with GUL (prolly not). Trying to think of a way to cut effects down, or maybe just remove effects entirely. Most spells would just a modifier or damage, anyways. I could always just explain them during play.
>>
>>54832232
Works pretty well for Ultra-Light magic, allowing people to come up with fun effects. Games slimmed down that much have an elegance, and more rules would risk making it hard to see why you wouldn't just switch to GURPS.
>>
>>54832232
>homebrew version of GURPS Ultra Lite
Get FATE
>>
File: Grimwyrd.png (1MB, 1918x846px) Image search: [Google]
Grimwyrd.png
1MB, 1918x846px
Grimwyrd today!
>>
>>54831226
>-1 per special benefit
On that note, in a suitably cinematic game, would you let someone try a Whirlwind Attack while keeping AOA's half-Move for an extra -1 on top of Whirlwind Attack's base -5? I've been playing too much of the Berserk musou, and I want to carve a bloody path through an entire mob of enemies.
>>
I've been think of experimenting with a tic-style combat turn system a'la Trails in the Sky and IIRC FFX and AD&D 2e where instead of going in a static order based on BS alone, combat order is influenced by the speed of your actions--quick, short actions take less time, meaning your text turn comes sooner.

Would anyone be interested in something like this, or is this a horrible idea?
>>
>>54732891
As effective level. Your relative level, in this case, would be whatever the DX default is.
>>
>>54839423
I feel like the game already does this, to a degree.

Melee weapons can generally strike fast once you get into close combat. One attack a second.

Heavy, unwieldy weapons require a second to ready after use. 2 seconds to make an attack and recover.

Bows can snap shot and get a shot off in one second, but in many cases you will want to spend an extra second to aim. Then it's 1 second to reload with fast draw ammo before you are ready to shoot again. 3 seconds to use.

A Fireball, with Magery 3, takes 3 seconds to fully charge and 1 to throw. 4 seconds total.
>>
>>54839768
True. Now that I think about it, I guess the one-second time-scale means the only place left to go is milliseconds.
>>
>>54843192
*deciseconds
Do you even SI?
>>
>>54839768
god now you've made me want to run and play some generic ass fantasy using gurps magic
>>
>>54843519

>Wizard fucks stand in the back chanting for 5 rounds.

That's when you know it's time to FUCKING RUN.
>>
>>54843696
But then you just shoot them.

Thinking about it, I've never played a non-gunpowder GURPS game in my 3-4 years of playing and GMing it,
>>
>>54832593
Thanks for the feedback.

>>54834639
If I wanted Fate, I'd use Fate, but I don't. Fate's way more complex than GUL to learn.
>>
How would you stat a recharging shield a la Halo?
>>
>>54847769
DR: forcefield, area effect, directional (outside -> IN)
>>
>>54847949
How about the recharging aspect?
>>
File: 1465499951771.jpg (81KB, 736x800px) Image search: [Google]
1465499951771.jpg
81KB, 736x800px
Grimwyrd!
Some kind of session!

>party is in the dorf vault, Bomrek and Suthri now bonded with elemental crystal
>Syviis and Gray can see they are now 110% dorf
>they discover the last remains of a final paladin of the old empire, seal him away with his dying crystal, and head upstairs
>the spirits are restless and something evil this way comes
>they plunge through the crumbling keep, a dirgesong in the air, coming from the evil of the place
>they round the hall, find the great evil thing, an altar to a dark god
>within a ring of blue flame, the avatar of a six armed prince of darkness and fury
>below him, a priestess: red horned and satyr legged, shes intoning his name in a dolorous tone
>ROD RECOGNIZES HER!
>Holy shit the Fae that sent him on his quest!
>You!
>YOU
>Gray the beastman steps forward, readying the shield and looking to the woman with a low snarl. "This won't be permitted!"
>The woman: "Permitted? You fool, HE is the one who permits you to live!" She raises her hands above her head "HE is mightier than even the Lords of the FAE!"
>Suthri plants one in the effigy's skull
>IT AWAKES

>kmnock fdown brawl occurs
>Syviis disables the priestess
>suthri and bomrek shoot the statue
>rod defends the back line
>GRAY CHARGES
>IT SMASHES HIM
>THEY FIRE THE CANNON!
>GRAY HITS HIM WITH HIS OGRE BLADE
>GREEN FIRE
>SCREAMING
ROD INVOKES THE FAE AND A WHIRLWIND THROWS HIM INTO PLACE TO LAND A DECAPITATING BLOW ON THE SATYR WOMAN!

>the effigy is defeated
>the demon released
>Gray goes about hewing the evil sign from the earth
>>
>>54847996
DR needs Ablative as well, and you need Regeneration to "heal" the lost DR.
>>
>>54848771
Righto. Thanks!
>>
File: 1478223752484.jpg (2MB, 2714x2604px) Image search: [Google]
1478223752484.jpg
2MB, 2714x2604px
>>54848104

Lots and lots of fucking with magic without being 100% sure what it happening. It was great to get back into Grimwyld and to use some options I'd never tried before, though today defiantly made me think we need to do an inventory and figure out what equipment we are carrying, owing to cannon confusion.
>>
File: US Nuclear Targets.png (404KB, 933x632px) Image search: [Google]
US Nuclear Targets.png
404KB, 933x632px
Reasonably apocalyptic
Thread posts: 312
Thread images: 43

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.