[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

d&d money, shopping, items, and economy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6

File: 631e524f61e78e80088d26a03d2d882b.jpg (901KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
631e524f61e78e80088d26a03d2d882b.jpg
901KB, 1200x900px
how do taxes work in a medieval fantasy world? do people pay rent monthly to a lord even if they live in a urban environment like a major city? and are taxes included in the price listings of the players handbook?

also what are some of your favorite items, gear, or property you obtained in a game?

also im always throwing a variety of artisans and crafter's guild in citys for the players to spend their money on custom gear. one player finally bit and asked a fine smith to upgrade his chain scythe. i was about to tell him that this probably inst their specialty and said fuck it. i came up with serrated blades on the fly, letting him do a little bleed damage to enemy's every turn and he seemed to like it. any more ideas for gear modification.
>>
File: 1495665369859.jpg (131KB, 520x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1495665369859.jpg
131KB, 520x1024px
and how do you describe the inside of shops in your games? i linger on details like that cause im autistic about items. do you read off everything from a list? or do you tell players whether or not they have what theyre looking for in stock?

and what are the key diffrences between a armorer, smith, and fine smith?
>>
>>
>>54722903
>how do taxes work in a medieval fantasy world? do people pay rent monthly to a lord even if they live in a urban environment like a major city?

I don't know exactly what you're talking about, but most people didn't pay taxes or rent on a monthly basis, not smelly farmer peasants at least.

Ye olde smelly peasants would pay their taxes either by working their lords fields for a designated amount of hours, by contributing a certain % of their own crops to the lords/churches granary or a little bit of both, but they'd do this at the end of every year, not every month- you can't just 'take taxes' every month from a farmer.

City folks I'm not actually sure how they were taxed? I think they might have actually paid with money since paying with goods seems impractical, though in ye older times I remember reading that they paid in military service or what have you. Like, you'd be left alone to do whatever it is you do to make money, but you're on the draft list... I'm not saying that with confidence though, so if anyone can; please correct me.
>>
Here's how I do taxes in my campaign:

>party approached by a group of bandits
>bandit leader asks if they paid the shank tax
>they ask what the shank tax is
>'you pay us, and we don't shank you'
brawl ensues
every time man
>>
>>54722980
while stylish, the guard on that sword is basically useless and looks like it would weigh a lot

and the knife dagger thing just looks stupid
>>
>>54723713
How I do taxes in my campaign:

Cities tax when entering or exiting with valuables or goods. There are also federal taxes for property owners and high-income individuals.

The federal states has some seriously powerful tax wizards capable of finding magic stashed in pocket dimensions, and seizing such wealth with teleportation magic. They get called in when wizards or adventurers commit tax fraud.
>>
>>54726671
thats pretty cool. what about if your a non magic user and stuffed the gold under your mattress or beneath a floor board? are the taxes used fairly, wheres the money going?
>>
>>54723713
>you paid the shank tax?
>yes
>OK off you go
>>
>>54726817
if a person hid the money non-magically they are likely too small time to be worth going after, but accountants do audit taxes sometimes, and once in a while they raid houses "the old fashioned way"

A lot of money from federal taxes in that setting go into ensuring the roads are fully paved and maintained. Most people cannot teleport everywhere, so being able to travel quickly is critically important for the economy and also security. The state also has a standing professional army to repel attacks from the neighbor nations which seems to happen about every two or three years. The army and agents of the state also enforce the laws outside of the cities. They also pay their employed accountants and tax wizards, of which they have many.

City taxes rates and distribution of those funds are more at the discretion of the cities. Some cities are notorious for graft and political kickbacks, while others spend it more reasonably.

Their income tax structure is highly progressive, and their property taxes obviously are not paid by non-property-owners.

Once one of the nobility lords decided to hire a personal army instead of paying taxes. He made the mistake of putting his money in a bag of holding in the mean time, only to find it was no longer there when he went to pull it out.
>>
Old World Armory from Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay has a whole section on taxes which includes some fun ideas for adventures.

Examples include Ear Tax, in which elves are charged 5 silver per elf ear they have, or it'll be cut off. Often tax collectors of this tax will have a necklace of ears. Remember if a player lost his ear in battle he doesn't have to pay as much!

Belt Tax is based on the idea that a fat man is a wealthy man who can afford more food, so you get taxed based on the length of your belt. Oftentimes rich, fat folk will hire skinny stand ins to try and fool tax collectors. Perhaps one of the players acts as such a stand in but meets a particularly scrutinizing tax collector.
>>
> taxes. In a game.
Autism.
>>
File: great jupiter how horrifying.png (114KB, 186x241px) Image search: [Google]
great jupiter how horrifying.png
114KB, 186x241px
why are we having three threads on taxes today?
>>
>>54726885
The Bandit Leader is, I assume, played by John Cleese, or at least one of the Pythons.
>>
Taxes are included in the prices of things. That is to say, not all of the 50gp price of a greatsword goes to a weaponsmith: some of it goes to his Lord instead. It is a sales tax. This is the case even when the PCs are offloading loot to merchants. Why do PCs get only 50% of the listed price? Because the merchant deducts the Government's share before giving the PCs their gold, and also deducts a margin for him to profit from resale.

Since the taxes are included in the price, PCs do not have to think about taxes. The only time they will have to worry about taxes is if they quit adventuring and become merchants instead.
>>
>>54722903
>how do taxes work in a medieval fantasy world?
These links may be interesting to you OP:
http://blogofholding.com/?p=7182
https://coinsandscrolls.blogspot.com.br/2017/06/osr-death-taxes-and-death-taxes.html
> Are you taxing your PCs?
>Most GMs don't. It would be unfair to take away their hard-earned gold for no benefit. But if you're running a semi-medieval game taxes are as important as swords and castles. They're possibly more important. If you want to build a living, breathing, and tone-consistent world, you need to include taxes, and you need to make them gamable content. Don't think of taxes as penalties. Think of them as story hook generators and the mortar binding your setting together.
https://coinsandscrolls.blogspot.com.br/2017/06/osr-death-taxes-and-death-taxes-part-2.html
>>
File: armoury.png (2MB, 2092x1177px) Image search: [Google]
armoury.png
2MB, 2092x1177px
>>54722903
>do people pay rent monthly to a lord even if they live in a urban environment like a major city?
I think so, provided the city is within the lord's domain. But the taxes would be related to cash, commerce, tolls and goods (blacksmiths paid taxes in nails), not land or grain.

>and are taxes included in the price listings of the players handbook?
I would say yes, but they're not necessarily all the possible taxes, like gate tolls.

>also what are some of your favorite items, gear, or property you obtained in a game?
I looted a mortar off some enemies. It came very handy during a slaad siege we faced afterwards.

>any more ideas for gear modification
-Fluted plate armor is both prettier and stronger.
-Nooks in blades work to disarm or even break the oponent's sword.
-attach pistols or ballestrinos to a piercing weapon. A critical would add the bullet/bolt for extra damage.
-Korea had triple shot bullet repeating crossbows. A PC might get all that after several upgrades instead of making the weapon like so from the start.
-Decorating a weapon with bits of killed monsters might make it scary. One does not need to know where those big teeth serving as cross-guard came from to recognize that he's facing a powerful foe.
-Slings/bullets bows/crossbows might have all kinds of different loadouts inside ceramic bullets: poison, smoke, inflammable materials... chinks had rocket/arrow ammo combining all three.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.