[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New DM

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: block.jpg (112KB, 813x555px) Image search: [Google]
block.jpg
112KB, 813x555px
I started DMing my first D&D game last night, it went well for the most part when the more experienced players took the spotlight. But our newer player who's probably borderline retarded, was struggling to do anything, despite our help. I didn't want to say anything because I myself am new to D&D DMing and somewhat new to D&D char playing, but even I wasn't that bad.

He decided to get detained by Guards, essentially a way for us to throw him out for the time being. He ended up leaving the voice chat to do something else, and my other experienced players are currently complaining about him, some tell me they want him out, others think they want to give him another chance.

watdo? How would I tell him to fuck off?
>>
Warn him about changing the style or you will kick him out?
>>
Give him another go. Maybe he just felt weird playing with strangers. One of the games I play in has a guy like this, and all things considered he's a great guy, but god damn is he retarded. Keeps encounters fairly fresh and exciting though.

Give him one or two sessions more. Take a vote. Then if you decide to kick him, just tell him straight up "sorry man, I don't think you are going to be fit for what I want from this campaign

Or just kick from game and server without a word and carry on
>>
File: oboi.png (131KB, 620x258px) Image search: [Google]
oboi.png
131KB, 620x258px
>>54717308
It's not so much the style, he's just fucking retarded. I had an entrance and exit to the Town we're in, literally marked "Town Entrance" and "Town Exit". He goes ahead and tries to go to the Town entrance to "go into Town"....despite us already being in the Town.
>>
>>54717269
Tell him that some players are voicing concerns, and that others are asking to stay.
Explicitly tell him that you aren't going to say whom. See what he does.
If he steps up: Good for everyone?
If he backs out: A shame but sounds better for the group.
Decides to become a shit head: Makes your decision easier
Stays his course: Will likely get the players on the fence to kick him too.

But it gives everyone a chance to change.

A better man might suggestion you ensure you tell the other players you are doing this too. But I personally wouldn't. That doesn't make me right, I just wouldn't,
>>
>>54717341
If nothing else comes up, I'll consider this. Thanks, anon.
>>
Step One: Don't play via internet connection.

Aaaaand done.

No seriously, being unable to speak to a person in real life enables them (and you) to do all sorts of passive aggressive bullshit and refuse communication that could fix problems.
>>
>>54717407
Fair point. But I know the two more experienced players a bit more on a personal level than I do the newbie...so maybe that could be it? I appreciate the feedback, regardless.
>>
>>54717427
You wouldn't really gain anything by being rude and telling him he's a shit player and needs to fuck off, but if his behavior during the game was really that bad I can't see there being much point to giving him a second chance. I've dealt with five kinds of bad players. One guy was just a lolsorandom dickhead I kicked by the end of his first session. Another player had a significant problem figuring out how to say what she wanted to say. Not a stutter or dyslexia, she took forever to string words together because the syntax somehow tripped her up. She played with me for about six months and never improved , which is something I should've predicted because this problem affected her everyday conversation and she'd never made a concerted effort to fix it. The third type was someone who couldn't put herself in her character's place at all. It was bizarre, she was very far from being autistic, but for some reason playing in an RPG just caused the empathy center of her brain to shut the fuck down. She played for one month and then I kicked her because, once again, no improvement. The fourth guy got too into character and was the ONLY one who fixed the problem. The fifth is an entire category of shitheads who couldn't remember a fucking thing and held up every check, save, and roll because they couldn't remember what to do. They never learn.

TL;DR the vast, vast majority of bad players will not improve.
>>
File: oh.jpg (114KB, 640x320px) Image search: [Google]
oh.jpg
114KB, 640x320px
>>54717684
The third one you described is precisely what I'm dealing with right now! It's really hard to get around it and I've got no idea what to do, really
>>
>>54717863
If you're hellbent on giving him a second chance you could explain what you see going on to him and try to work him through various strategies. Have him visualize what his character is seeing from his character's point of view, not an overhead perspective. Have him try to handle just the vocal communication when dealing with NPCs, don't mention expressions or body language or his surroundings. Have him actually write a 300 word backstory and tell him to reference that for his character's motivations and thus thought process.

But the bottom line is, this is supposed to be a game and he's probably not going to want to fix his deficiency because this is already supposed to be easy.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.