[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 404
Thread images: 37

File: 1427_3_full.jpg (43KB, 358x599px) Image search: [Google]
1427_3_full.jpg
43KB, 358x599px
>Unearthed Arcana: Greyhawk Initiative:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAGreyhawkInitiative.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
>>54701787

Tell us about that deal with the devil your character made. Doesn't have to be a literal devil.
>>
>>54714935
This to be desu. I use spreadsheets for balance calculations when homebrewing.
If you don't do math when homebrewing, you're doing it wrong.
>>
Will roll20 tokens ever be posted from CoS?
>>
>>54715202
Pretty sure roll20 tokens is what gets troves banned half the time.
>>
I'm a new DM. How do I do vampires right? I want to have them as the crux of my campaign but I'm bad at creative stories. How do I make them a threat without constant bloodmurdering?
>>
anyone else disappointing by the end of Lost Mines? It built up all this mystery and magical intrigue then you just beat up the Black Spider, an average Drow, whos plans are never revealed and also the Forge is pretty useless now. Stoneseeker thanks you for your help and that's it.
>>
>>54715304
Here's my advice to you. Don't use vampires. Use a vampire. One vampire is a mysterious villain with dark powers. Many vampires are a bunch of glorified bloodsuckers.
Take a look at Curse of Strahd and learn. The campaign is vampire-centric, but has a whooping ONE vampire. It's how Strahd acts, how his story is intertwined with every other character, that makes the campaign a vampire story.
Well, that and the fact that it's literally the story of Dracula with WotC copyright slapped on it.
>>
>>54715304
Vampires are suave, experienced, and smart. They figure what adventurers are going to try, b/c others have tried to kill them and failed.

They have thralls everywhere, so they know a LOT. The party planning a bar? One of the other patrons was a thrall and relayed everything to the vampire.

They know their weaknesses—sunlight, running water, lack of escape in mist form—and plan around them. Their homes are solid and windowless (or at least very impressively curtained), far from rivers, and have plenty of ventilation.

They're incredibly cultured. Polite even in the face of adversary, well-read and knowledgeable, and of course incredibly strong. Their lifespan makes them patient as well, and they always have backups upon backup plans.

Some failings that the PCs could exploit:

* A vampire with a strong artistic sense is dumb enough to have a gothic home with tons of windows, a skylight, and some decorative silver weapons.

* Arrogance. The oldest vampires believe that for all the above reasons that they can't be beat, and they makes them sloppy. They appear to the party without backup, for example.

* Lust: for all their willingness to charmed, a pretty/handsome PC could get through their armor or extract a promise to be spared in exchange for loyalty.

* Hunger: they still need blood to survive. Evacuate everyone in a given area, and it forces them to travel farther for prey, making them vulnerable.
>>
Can the spreadsheet anon from last thread post his setup? I'm super intrigued by the way you described the functionality.
>>
>>54715304
Read AngryGM's articles on NPCs. Specifically the ones on villains and antagonists. Then do this
>>54715426
>>
I need names for courses in a magic school curriculum.
>>
File: wizard shotgun.gif (25KB, 600x263px) Image search: [Google]
wizard shotgun.gif
25KB, 600x263px
>>54715531
Morality in Magic
>>
>>54715202
No one takes the effort to grab them anymore despite it being super easy for anyone with half a brain.
>>
>>54715426
The more you have of something, the less interesting and special it is. Look at liches - a very unique concept of a wizard, who is immortal, but has a weakness that he's forced to hide. If played right, a lich could be a memorable villain, but you should absolutely avoid using it twice in the same campaign. It will prompt the "Oh, another one" reaction.
Now liches suffer from such oversaturization, /tg/ tries to one up each other with stupid gimmicks, as if it's what makes a villain cool. "My lich's phylactery is a song!" "My lich's phylactery is the plane of negative energy!". "My lich's phylactery is hidden on another plane, guarded by a billion skeletons!"
>>
>>54715548
I thought it was his mouth but is actually his nose lol
>>
File: whizzard.png (17KB, 208x250px) Image search: [Google]
whizzard.png
17KB, 208x250px
>>54715531
Conjurational Ethics
>>
>>54715531
Necromancy 101: How to work with a shovel
>>
File: blue_mage__by_endling.jpg (245KB, 585x524px) Image search: [Google]
blue_mage__by_endling.jpg
245KB, 585x524px
>>54715531
Sorcerers and the Imminent dangers of Wild Magic.
>>
>>54715573
>"My lich's phylactery is a song!"
Okay but you gotta admit that's fucking cool as shit. The lich can only be killed once nobody remembers the song anymore? Baller. Perhaps not beatable by a single group of heroes, but the narrative possibilities are intriguing.
>>
>>54715737
>Okay but you gotta admit that's fucking cool as shit
It really fucking isn't.
>>
Migrated from the last thread, b/c I got some good advice but want moar

I've got a level 4 sorcerer for a game in a few days, and I've gotten everything worked out everything but the metamagics. What should I pick?

Spells are

Shocking Grasp
Gust
Prestidigitation
Lightning Lure
Fire Bolt

Ray of Sickness
Ice Knife
Feather Fall

Aganezzer's Scorcher
Shatter

I was thinking about Empowered Spell and Twinned Spell to start out, then Heightened Spell and Extended Spell at higher levels.

Thoughts on that and the spell list?

I've since been told that I should use Quickened and Subtle instead of Heightened and Empowered. Which admittedly is pretty appealing.
>>
>>54715747
>Blaster caster
Shit, nigger, what are you doing
>>
>>54715778
I'm open to suggestions, hit me.
>>
>>54715778
I think he is trying to have fun
>>
What's the difference between a paladin and a war domain cleric?
>>
File: celestian03.png (38KB, 150x150px) Image search: [Google]
celestian03.png
38KB, 150x150px
gonna make an arcana cleric of Celestian aka space jesus
will probably play an aasimar
what wizard cantrips should i get?
>>
>>54715918
Do you mean fluff-wise, or mechanics wise?
>>
>>54715918
theyre spelled different
>>
>>54715918
A war domain cleric fights for the advancement of his god's agenda.
A paladin fights to advance a set of ideals, and may or may not even worship a god.
>>
>>54715918
Paladins hit stuff. Clerics cast and sometimes also hit stuff.
>>
>>54715918
Fluff-wise, Paladins are conviction while Clerics are faith.

Mechanically, Clerics are full casters and will never ever ever compare in damage to a Paladin without spell use.
>>
>>54715918
If a character fights for his god and ideals, here's a quick test as to whether he is a cleric or paladin:

When the head priest of a church announces a change in the tenets of the faith...
...the cleric changes his ideals.
...the paladin changes his god.
>>
Feedback requested on how I might convert this NPC to D&D 5e:

http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/main-forum/the-new-world-of-darkness/1120200-new-horror-little-morpheus
>>
>>54715638
I like this one. Realistically, it WOULD be a course in a school that teaches conjuration.

>>54715841
Well, then, he's on the wrong board.
>>
>>54715531
Abjuration: A practical survey of how not to be killed
>>
>>54715112
I don't do math for homebrew. But that's because I tend to stay away from tacking on damage to new abilities. Otherwise copying current numbers suffices.
>>
>>54715744
Dude, that's some old fantasy level stuff, and objectively a an awesome campaign idea. Who destroyed your sense of wonder?
>>
>>54715747
Suggestion is always a great spell socially and if you use subtle it has some strong applications outside of the typical dungeon crawl. I'm personally a heightened/subtle kinda guy but I also prefer a save or suck and buffs playstyle to a blaster.
>>
>>54715918
>Paladin
>Fightsman who is supernaturally empowered by their belief in doing what they believe is "the right thing"
>Various flavors based on different ideas of what "the right thing" is
>Sworn to uphold an Oath, not necessarily beholden to a deity or church doctrine
>Can cast, sort-of
>Hits like a truck in physical melee because SMITE MAKES RIGHT

>War Cleric
>Religious dude with bigger weapons than most
>"Chosen One" for a deity of the War domain
>Personal beliefs matter less than acting according to the divine will of their deity
>Full caster
>Can into melee, sort of
>Secretly a better as an archer
>>
Anyone have a decent non-hex map of Mystara? Or really anything Mystara, I don't care for Faerun and I'd like to introduce my players to a more classic setting. So far I have the Gazetteers and some PDFs from the Vaults of Pandius.
>>
When should a wild magic sorcerer roll for magic surge? The phb is really vague, but I think once for every spell cast seems fine to me.
>>
>>54716497
1, 20, or pretty much whenever you think it'd be appropriate. Alternatively, roll a d4 and have them roll on a 1.
>>
Can a bard use the Message spell to intimidate someone?
>>
>>54716303
Hmm, that's worth thinking about.
>>
>>54716304
>>Secretly a better as an archer
Explain. That sounds awesome.
>>
>>54716304
Is decent description combining fluff and crunch, but of course the crunch will vary based on the edition/game. Then again, so will the fluff.
>SMITE MAKES RIGHT
I'm stealing.

>>54716637
Of course, based on what he says. But it's up to the DM whether you actually roll intimidation, just like in regular conversation.
>>
>>54716637
with the appropriate roll I don't see why not.
>>
>>54716637
I think the animal messenger one is so much better.
>A squirrel delivers death threats to someone
>>
>>54716637
Once we acquired one of the Sending Stones the villains used to communicate. For the rest of the campaign we used them, each adventuring day, to send them flowery death threats.
>>
>>54716710
>not a bird
>not tweeting death threats to your enemies
>>
>>54715028
My character made a deal with Asmodeus, but desu it was kinda coerced because his soul had been tapped for collection by an infernal spellbook that gave power in exchange for your soul, your experience and knowledge being sucked into and added to the book once you died. Kind of an Auto-warlock maker deal.
>>
>>54715938
Either, Both?

>>54715983
>>54716014
So a cleric follows a faith an a paladin follows whatever they think is correct?

>>54715976
Makes sense.

>>54716304
So does a paladins power come from their own self-belief? How does that work?
>>
Planning on running Death House with only three players, but a lot of the encounters seem too tough for a smaller group. Should I bump them up to level 2 while advancing to 3 partway through or half the number of enemies in a given encounter?
>>
>>54717112
The Paladin's power comes from the strength of his resolve. It's why he's a charisma caster, like a sorcerer, his power comes from within.
>>
>>54717112
have you read the PHB? there's like two pages of fluff for each class. it's a good place to start.
>>
How would you guys present a labyrinth for your players to navigate? Nothing too fancy, just think of your typical palace garden grass maze.
>>
>>54717112
>So a cleric follows a faith an a paladin follows whatever they think is correct?
Yeah, basically.
>How does that work?
It's a magical universe, we ain't gotta explain shit. You just need to accept that with sufficient conviction, a person can come to represent an ideal, and thereby gain the power to champion it.
>>
>>54717184
Have them designate one player as a mapper and give them some graph paper.
>>
File: hellgate_paladin.jpg (673KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
hellgate_paladin.jpg
673KB, 1600x1200px
>>54717112
Yeah
>>54717148
This. Paladins embody an ideal and their strength of conviction tangibly empowers them.
>>
>>54717184
>send players to collect mundane thing from cave
>encounter weird letters in the opening
>they turn a bend and find mundane thing
>as they turn back round the corner they are met with different terrain than before

Start mappin' boys
>>
>>54717233
I thought about that, but wouldn't it get boring with me saying 20 times "you go left and you reach a dead end"?
>>
>>54717286
Won't that get boring whether or not they're mapping it?
>>
>>54717184
A labyrinth with nothing else in it? Because that's just a pointless waste of time.
>>
>>54717184
Literal mazes don't work very well without a large playmat or something, because it means the players have to draw a very accurate map based on your cues which tends to be not very fun for the party. I would know, I used to try that shit.
If you're going to use a maze, make them roll to navigate it. Or don't use a maze at all, at least not as an encounter/obstacle.
>>
>>54717346
just make it a race, X amount of days to finish the maze or they lose the prize (and get kicked out)
>>
>>54715737
>>54715744
Reaper, reaper that's what people call me...
>>
Guess a maze isn't that fun after all.
>>
>>54717346
Yeah mazes are a great idea in theory, but they just don't work in tabletop games in my experience
>>
>>54717452
A maze -can- be fun. It just needs to be less of a maze and more of a large building with many rooms or things along the way.
>>
Mine's in a deal with a high-ranking succ but also a young god. First contract gives up the soul if I die before dethroning a queen of hell but if I do that ownership returns, gives me a mental link with them and the succubus's draining kiss, as well as an at-will Modify Memory. As for the god that's gonna be my ticket for easy living after all of this ends. Spread knowledge and innovation and all that, gonna open up a school or just become a weird guy why scries around looking for problems and solves them. Or I just invent a magical sham-wow and use the proceeds to pay someone else to open a college for me.
Unless a higher bidder shows up but what I've been given so far is pretty sweet.
>>
>>54717452
On it's own, a maze is a bad idea. There aren't really any tangible interesting stakes involved with a big maze. It works fine as the setting in which actual obstacles are placed, however. If your party has to navigate a maze to find an object or slay a creature or rescue a damsel before she gets eaten, then you have something worth looking at. But just sticking a maze in front of your party and going "ok roll to get through" is shitty DMing.
>>
>>54717503
Yeah, I can see a dungeon being set up in such a way, perhaps with some rooms changing due to magic or dimensional silliness.

>>54717540
How would you do it in such a case? Let's say they have to reach the end under a time limit, to rescue the damsel. But that doesn't change the mechanics of the maze.
>>
Should I really care if I have low DEX on a heavy armor cleric?
>>
>>54717778
Dex saving throws are pretty common
>>
>>54717778
Nope.
Aside from occasionally failing some DEX saves there's no point to having DEX on heavy armor characters as far as I know, unless they use DEX as their attack stat which would be out of the ordinary.
>>
>>54717778
Probably not that much.
Just watch out for fireballs
>>
>>54717778
Doesn't dex help with AC?
>>
File: FunnyBlackManMeme.png (72KB, 711x798px) Image search: [Google]
FunnyBlackManMeme.png
72KB, 711x798px
>>54717889
Not in heavy armor.
>>
>>54717925
Gotcha. I never played with heavy armor so I don't know shit.
>>
>>54717957
My point stands. You would have easily caught that if you'd read the chapter on equipment, even if you've never used heavy armor yourself.
I'm not trying to be mean, just saying that lots of questions would never even come up if you read the book.
>>
>>54715946
>cleric fights for the advancement of his god's agenda.
I've never liked the idea of playing a Cleric who is basically a servant. (I'm not trying to go full fedora here, but I can't get into the head of a true theist. That doesn't seem fun to me.)

What does anyone think of a Cleric who has a more mercenary outlook? They do work for a deity and expect to receive divine power in response, and both the deity and the Cleric think that's a fair deal. The Cleric has their own agenda and is their own person, but they have a relationship with their patron that isn't one-sided.

I also like the idea of a single character who does work for a whole pantheon. Kratos gets boons and tasks dropped on him throughout God of War 1. He's not really a spellcaster, but he does keep getting stronger and acquiring magical abilities until he becomes a god himself. The protagonist from Sacrifice has a similar deal. More people should have played that game. Tim Curry plays a trickster deity with a balloon for a face.
>>
>>54718003
I've played all of 6 sessions and I'm not the OP of this topic, I haven't read everything yet and mightve missed a few details which is why it was a question. Chill on me.
>>
>>54718028
Warlock. You are thinking of a Warlock, anon.
>>
>>54715405

It's meant to lead into another adventure, either homebrewed or one of the modules.
>>
>>54717597
Sorry about the delay. I went to do the dishes while I thought about it. I'd probably start by figuring out a distance the party has to travel to reach the end. Then I'd set a speed reduction for the maze to simulate the difficulty in traversing it. Lastly, I'd set a time limit for the party to reach the end before the princess gets eaten. With all that in place, before the players set foot inside, I'd ask them how they're going to go about doing it, giving them pace bonuses for each plausibly useful tactic. So say they have a dwarf who is good with stonework, maybe he says he can read the wear in the stone to identify commonly tread ground. Anything like that that could give them an edge, I'd give out a bonus for. Once they're done with that and head inside, I'd narrate them through, pausing for points of interest. If a trap goes off, or if they spot a treasure chest off in one direction, etc. I'd give them an opportunity to deal with it however they want, but tasks that take time will cost them. At each point of interest I'd mark down the time remaining and if they reached the girl in time they've succeeded. If they got there quick they might have even beaten the monster to the punch and can escape without a fight.
>>
>>54718028
First idea is literally a warlock.
Clerics are believers. That's the point of the class. They may become disillusioned, they may evolve over the course of their career, but they're servants first and foremost. They don't negotiate with their god.

Your second idea is perfectly workable. A cleric can worship more than one god. But it's still, at least ostensibly, a servant-master relationship, not a business partner relationship.
>>
>>54717286

Yes, but you didn't ask us whether or not it was a good idea to start with.
>>
>>54718072

No. Fuck you, read the book.
>>
>>54718072
6 sessions probably means you've played for a month and a half at least? At that point, if you're still having fun, you should probably read the rulebook. I can understand putting off the commitment until you're, well, committed, but it's probably time.
>>
>>54718028
The DMG does cover the possibility of clerics devoted to forces (like a druid) or philosophies (like a paladin). But you would have to reconcile that with some of their mechanics like divine intervention.
>>
>>54718072
You don't understand anon, if you haven't read the entire book cover to cover enough times to have it memorized, then you're a disgusting normie that spells the doom of this hobby. seriously though you have no excuse for the armour thing since it's super obvious with the chartbut the other anon needs to learn some bedside manner holy shit
>>
So, how could I pull off explaining how a supposedly blind monk can see?
>>
>>54718344
Why would a blind monk see?
>>
>>54718265
I've been reading through, unfortunately I didn't retain it all.

I'm often teaching/advising the other players at the table on things pertaining to their classes, but I forget shit and haven't memorized everything, coupled with not having much spare time.
>>
>>54718344
Barring some crazy race choice with blindsense/tremorsense/etc., you're pretty shit out of luck unless the DM grants you some Ki pseudo sight, essentially turning your blindness into a flavor-only thing.
>>
>>54718344
Sonar. He has super-sharp hearing because monk powers, he can whistle and listen for echo.
>>
Does your str modifier damage also increase with versatile? Or does it remain as is?
>>
>>54718344
He's lying about being blind and wears a blindfold made of sheer material.
>>
>>54718426
what?
>>
>>54718426
Only the dice size changes when 2hing a Versatile weapon.
>>
I'm pretty new to 5e. Are there any other classes besides phb beast master ranger and 4 elements monk that are garbage?
>>
>>54718514
Ie, is one and a half damage still a thing in this edition?

>>54718521
Ah, thanks heaps bro. Makes sense from reading the versatile property entry.
>>
>>54715737
>>54716267
I came here to call you a fucking idiot for these two posts.

Fucking idiot.
>>
>>54717452
I had a game where my DM put a set of small, unconnected rooms in a larger area, then placed a map at the start of this section made of stone. If we carved away at the map, the section we carved would open in the actual zone and a new section would close, so it was about creating a way through which was kinda neat. Less mazelike but still quite enjoyable
>>
>>54718559
Everything else is playable, although there are still some subclasses that aren't great, like purple dragon knight and battlerager
>>
>>54715028
Our first session, my monk and the fighter get killed by orcs and bad luck. We get brought before the God of Fire and Civilization, Sosan, and he offers to bring us back to life in exchange for a length of service.
My monk gets 2 days service, which is almost up by now, and the fighter gets two weeks service. However, the fighter is also kind of a buffoon, so I'm doubtful Sosan will try to get much out of him, or succeed in any attempts to do so.
>>
>>54718624
Calm your tits and repeat
>I am autistic.
>>
>>54718681
>first session
>DM lets you die
>the god that unkills you wants a measly 2 days of service
>but 2 weeks for the fighter cause he failed his speech check
nice
>>
>>54718750
you are autistic
>>
>>54718605
One-and-a-half is no longer a thing in this edition, in any context. Similarly, off-hand weapons either get no ability modifier or the whole thing (if you have the right fighting style).

>>54718624
These posts were made by different people, mate. I know this because I'm the first one.
>>
File: large[1].jpg (23KB, 355x369px) Image search: [Google]
large[1].jpg
23KB, 355x369px
>New campaign
>spend time making the backstory, making connections with other players characters in the party and asking the DM to add shit to the world for the character
>dies in the first 30 mins of the first session
>>
>>54718811
>dies in the first 30 mins
How?
>>
>>54718811
Either you agreed to play a level 1 campaign, or you died because of your own stupidity. Either way, it's your own damn fault.
>>
>>54718811
>that one anon whose group got tpkd by a thunderwave at level 1

level 1 is fucking brutal
>>
File: Sensible Chuckle.gif (993KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
Sensible Chuckle.gif
993KB, 250x250px
>Be a Monk
>Ha ha fast ha ha
>Actually the third fastest in a group of four
>The fourth fastest is only 5ft slower than you
>>
>>54718877
>Make wild mage
>Cast spell in first encounter
>Surge casts fireball
>tpk
>>
>>54718877
True. I remember Hoard of the Dragon Queen at level 1 with a 5 man party nearly getting tpk'd in the opening battle with the kobold swarms.
>>
>>54718913
Heroes of the Spiderwoods.jpg
>>
>>54718949
Time for the monthly re-read!
>>
>>54718968
>>54718949
Ain't it nice to be remembered.
>>
>>54719002
Where is the sequel you promised us, you fucking hack?
>>
File: Fiona.png (418KB, 2000x1300px) Image search: [Google]
Fiona.png
418KB, 2000x1300px
>>54719002
Always and forever.

>>54719028
Well, that sentiment ended quickly.
>>
>>54719028
There's no need for such harsh language. I actually posted it already. Well, the beginning of it. But I've made a mistake of changing the style from a greentext to some boring writefaggotry, which resulted in a boring, uninspired mess that nobody was interested in.
So I've scrapped the whole thing, and at a later time I will post it properly, without focusing on boring parts for thousands of words.

In the meantime, if any of you fuckers have questions, you can ask away while I'm in the mood to whore for attention.
>>
So say I'm a wizard who takes the magic initiate feat at level 1. If I take the cleric spell cure wounds would I use wisdom or intelligence for the modifier?
>>
>>54719177
Wisdom, and you would be able to cast it once per day.
>>
>>54719124
Whats your favorite kind of dog?
>>
>>54717830
Also initiative. You want your turn before the monster's turn, and every +2 to Dex increases the chance of that by 5%, so a point of Dex gets you an extra 2.5% of an action every time you enter combat.

Do you care? Probably not; you're playing a full caster, there's a limit to the number of decent quality spells you can cast in aday in addition to a limit to the number of actions you get to cast spells. If you were a Rogue you'd probably care more.
>>
>>54715531
Making Friends into Corpses and Vice Versa: Necromantic Essentials
>>
Who makes cool dice sets? Not looking for anything too expensive like metal or gemstone dice.

Do you guys trust etsy for something like that?
>>
>>54715531
Intro to *insert school of magic here*
Introduction to Library Arcanum (instead of science)
Advanced Library Arcanum
Studies in Apocalyptic Prophesy
Shape Shifting and You
>>
>>54718887
How did you manage to do this?
>>
>>54719289
Chessex and Koplow make most of the pretty looking colorful dice. Their more expensive sets run around 10 bucks iirc.
Etsy runs more money since most of the stuff there is either hand made or made to order. A lot of what you can find there are novelties and not meant to actually be used in a game though so tread carefully.
>>
>>54719370
Shapeshifting 306: Avoiding the Accidental Termination of a Pregnancy
>>
>>54719443
Q-Workshop makes a bunch of high-detail dice that look pretty cool. One of my friends has a set from them, but I can't read the numbers for shit. Red text on a black background in a weird font will do that.
>>
Would getting rid of Unarmored Movement and instead giving monks 10d hd and 1d6-1d12 unarmed damage be a fair way of making them frontline combatants?
>>
>>54719552
Playing a Fighter is a pretty fair way to make a frontline combatant. You even get d10 HD and 1d6-1d12 damage.
>>
>>54719673
kek
>>
>>54715531
Alchemetry
Arcanodynamics
Biollurgy
Constructivity
Divinentropy
Eldrikinetics
Geoccultism
Heuristics
Imachination
Kaleidomantics
Yggdratecture
>>
How would you guys change True Strike to make it not garbage? Would it just be enough to houserule that it's a bonus action?
>>
>>54715304
Read Carpe Jugulum

>Vampires don't drink blood. They drink power
>>
>>54719770
It should be garbage. Gishfags need to GTFO.
>>
>>54719736
Fuck yeah, that's what I was looking for. Thanks, anon.
>Imachination
If these are original, you're a bloody genius.
>>
>>54719770
No, that would make it way too good for a cantrip. Every rogue was grab it without a second thought.
>>
>>54719770
>casting time 1 action
>duration 1 round (no concentration)
>advantage on next attack roll you make against the target before the end of your next turn.
>>
>>54719842
would*
I wish I was posting on a phone but I have none to blame but my own fingers.
>>
>>54719788
That would be too powerful, infinite use free advantage for classes that don't use bonus actions (with the cantrip) would be ridiculous. Only downside is the concentration.

>Magic initiate for martials that don't dual wield.
>>
>>54719865

Yeah, that definitely sounds better than the bonus action. Thanks for the recommendation anon
>>
>>54719788
>Gishfags need to GTFO.

In a faraway land, where arcane energy flows through every corner, there are those who utilize it to create magic. There are also those who employ the martial arts to obtain their objectives, but curiously, there are LITERALLY NO PEOPLE WHO DO BOTH.

There, that's your fucking argument.
>>
>>54719796
They're not. But it is from someones homebrew 5e material I found on gitp
>>
>>54719770
Casting time: bonus action.

Or have it act within the same melee attack action a la green-flame blade.
>>
>>54719770
I'm pretty sure it works as intended, as it's there to be played along with valor Bard's War Magic or Sorcerer's quickened spell abilities

I guess I wouldn't make it concentration though
>>
Any good homebrews for Warlock?

Inb4 "good homebrews" /spoiler]
>>
Favorite Wizard spell-school?
Thinking about going full dick-mode Abjuration. Might not work as well if there aren't many caster enemies to counterspell though.
>>
>>54720034
Well, thanks for bringing it to my attention, at least.

>>54720042
Anything that allows both casting it and attacking in the same turn is too powerful for a cantrip because every rogue will use it.
>>
>>54720042
>Casting time: bonus action

See
>>54719872
>>54719842
>>
>>54720067
>Anything that allows both casting it and attacking in the same turn is too powerful
Greenflame Blade
Booming Blade
>>
>>54720066
There are no good homebrews for warlock.
>>
File: SeraphPatron.pdf (224KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
SeraphPatron.pdf
224KB, 1x1px
>>54720066
>>
>>54720086
You're missing the context. GFB is fine because it still requires a NORMAL attack roll, and adds damage. True Strike gives advantage, which is broken on rogues because it adds accuracy to their incredibly damaging attacks.
>>
>>54720068
>>54720071
You have models to work from in the form of booming blade and green-flame blade. As is truestrike is complete garbage.

Or you could cast it as an action and then hold it in concentration lasting 1 hour.
>>
>>54715028
>friend is about to get his 5th level spell freebies from bard class
>"Oh boy! I can get any two cantrips I want!"
>try to convince him to just get third level spells since his cantrips are fine with vicious mockery and a few "opportunity" cantrips

HELP. He's convinced he needs a "attacking" cantrip. Am I in the wrong or how do I convince him to take actual spells.
>>
>>54719415
A magic item on a non-speedy class, a barbarian and an artificer.
>>
File: 103448404-8.jpg (385KB, 1536x1980px) Image search: [Google]
103448404-8.jpg
385KB, 1536x1980px
Hello
>>
Guys I got a snowflake player who's like "can I play twins who're codependent as a single multiclassed character sheet" and I wanna say fuck no because I'm tired of her snowflakeyness (last time it was "can I be a pixie I played all the other races and they're all boring!") but another player's encouraging it.
What's a good way to plant a firm NO on that B.S.?
>>
>>54720138
Is your friend completely retarded, or just partially?
>>
>>54720138
Tell him he can grab magic Initiate at level 8, grab both Eldritch Blast and Booming Blade, along with Hex.

He still catches attack cantrips and doesn't have to sacrifice Counterspell and Aura of Vitality, two spells the Bard is uniquely suited to cast

This will buy you enough time to show that guy that being a bard that wants damage is being an ass bard
>>
File: 103448404-9.jpg (324KB, 1536x1797px) Image search: [Google]
103448404-9.jpg
324KB, 1536x1797px
>>54720185
Darkness
>>
File: 103448404-10.jpg (468KB, 1536x2016px) Image search: [Google]
103448404-10.jpg
468KB, 1536x2016px
>>54720207
My
>>
>>54720197
I think Plane Shift Amonket has this race actually. They're dog people or something
>>
>>54720197
Just say no. Seriously, you're the DM and if she can't deal with a simple (and presumably) polite refusal, then she can fuck right off.
>>
>>54720197
Just say "no", firmly.
>>
>>54720197
>No. I don't personally feel like it's a concept that can be well executed in D&D, and to be honest, It would be distracting to me as a DM to have to account for the edge cases that a single "character" being physically split between two bodies would bring up. Please try working with the material in the books.

It's not that hard m8.
>>
>>54720042
>rogue gets GFB/BB and true strike
>bonus action true strike for advantage
>casts GFB/BB for free sneak attack plus attack cantrip
Yeah that's balanced.
>>
File: 103448404-11.jpg (448KB, 1536x1966px) Image search: [Google]
103448404-11.jpg
448KB, 1536x1966px
>>54720229
Old Friend
>>
>>54720309
See >>54720126
>>
File: Wyrm Warlock Subclass.pdf (1MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Wyrm Warlock Subclass.pdf
1MB, 1x1px
>>54720066
>>
>>54720201
open for interpretation. he smokes a lot of weed.
never during session, thankfully
>>54720204
he's convinced the party needs more magic damage, since our resident caster just revealed he only has 3 more sessions with us before he has to drop the campaign "temporarily" because school starts back up.
Without him we're "Smite evil" Paladin, Lore bard(friend), Rogue (me), and Eldritch Knight Fighter.

I picked up Initiate at 4th for Hex, create bonfire, and EB due to story shit (character is being slowly corrupted by an artifact, wanted to show it in a tangible way outside of RP) And I actually suggested he get initiate but he just said "well I don't know, I still think I need cantrips right now since they don't use spell slots"
>>
>>54720231
Yeah but playing the race doesn't let you magically play two "characters" at once.

>>54720301
That's a good one, thanks.
She's putting up a fuss but at least now I know I can put my foot down.
(seriously if you want twins just pick the Noble background and make that servant/squire thing the twin or some shit)
>>
>>54720343
Christ that would be infuriating for me to deal with. I wish you luck anon, hopefully he sees the sense in your recommendations. Alternatively, direct him here and show him that internet strangers want him to not be an idiot.
>>
File: Artificer Rework [revlid].pdf (5MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Artificer Rework [revlid].pdf
5MB, 1x1px
>>54720066
It's absolutely the inverse of what you want, but here's a fun take on Artificer that basically repackages the Warlock's features and power curve.
>>
>tfw really love multi-classing but it's rarely worth it so I end up being a burden to the party
>>
With multiattack and if you have enough movement, could you move, green-flame blade one target then move and attack another target then move again in the same turn?
>>
Tell me about the ooze, I want to play ooze. An ooze user. A slime dude. A wiggly caustic wobbly blobman.
>>
>>54720910
Yes, as far as I know.
>>
>>54715531
Gym class.
>>
>>54720910
GFB takes an action, period. So no.
>>
How could a force of fiends (yugoloths) feasibly attack the party in a town filled with paladins? They only want to kill party (which has a paladin) while staying clear of the town's guard.

>>54720910
Only if you're an Eldritch Knight with War Magic (7th level or higher) or a Valor Bard with Battle Magic (14th level or higher). Otherwise it costs your whole Action to cast green flame blade and you can't benefit from Extra Attack.
>>
>>54716014
>>When the head priest of a church announces a change in the tenets of the faith...
>...the cleric changes his ideals.
>...the paladin changes his god.
Wrong. Clerics have at multiple times been specifically called out as being able to tell the church to get fucked. Their power is serving the god's true ideals, regardless of what others think it is.
>>
>>54720066
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9p7DxYuE-3VQWRpNGQ0ckxLcTQ/view

You might find something cool in here.
>>
>love the idea of the pugilist homebrew class posted earlier
>hate the way it's designed
Should I try editing it or is it just better to change up a monk for the same idea?
>>
>>54721219
I think it just easier to rework the monk class to suit your needs
>>
File: Robin_Heroes_2.png (2MB, 1486x1838px) Image search: [Google]
Robin_Heroes_2.png
2MB, 1486x1838px
So what's the best optimization for eldritch blast without multiclassing or UAs? Is it Eldritch Blast+Agonzing Blast+Repelling Blast+Eldritch Spear+Spell Sniper+Hex+Bestow Curse?
>>
>>54721219
Depends on what you think is closer to what you want. What's easier to edit to make that happen?
>>
>>54721238
Yeah pretty much.
>>
What is a good heavy hitting ranged martial? UA is allowed for the most part.

I guess fighter is where its at, and Arcane Archer looks quite nice. But I guess Battle Master is still the best subclass, ranged or melee.
>>
>>54721238
>Eldritch Spear+Spell Sniper
Jeez
>>
>>54720336
>Starting at 6th level, you may use your reaction to cause a strong gust of wind
Aren't reactions normally something you do as a reaction to something else?
>>
Ok, real question here. We all know the encounter math is centered around several encounters per day. After a certain level, if you throw a single Deadly encounter at your party and they know it'll be the only one of the day, they can burst damage out the ass and walk all over it. I'm trying to balance an ambush, it's going to be the only encounter of the day and it has to be very deadly.

11th-level party of 5 PCs.

tl; dr:
>How do you make a truly Deadly encounter if the party is fully rested?
>>
>>54721406
Tarrasque
>>
File: 1372395457891.jpg (9KB, 275x142px) Image search: [Google]
1372395457891.jpg
9KB, 275x142px
I want my characters to fucking hate an NPC I'm going to introduce, but also not be able to instantly murder him. He's an elven art collector/tomb robber with a penchant for the theatrical and showing up at the worst possible times. The party is currently hired by an estranged colleague of his, who he got fired from an arcane university. What can I do with both of those NPCs to foster a deep-seated, burning hatred for the elf?
>>
>>54721406
Overwhelm them, there needs to be more than just 1 encounter to make this a reality.

Something that can lead up to this big fight would be a good idea, traps, Mid~Hard difficulty encounters. Something that is not just the big fight.
>>
>>54721362
Not to meme, but Warlock2/SorcererX. Dankest ranged DPR where you can Quicken Eldritch Blast.
>>
>>54721455
Make him really pretentious and condescending
>>
>>54721455
Have him steal shit from the party and leave a taunting note after he's already been introduced.
>>
My group loves new material. We have an all caster campaign comming up. Aside from using the spell point variant, what other changes and add-ons would you recommend for Sorcerers tg?
>>
I'm making a half orc battlemaster fighter is it worth it to pump charisma a bit for Rally (and since we don't have a party face) or am I just shoveling into an endless pit?
>>
>>54721482
I've found that adding a set of free domain spells that fit their subclass fixes almost all of sorcerer's problems.
>>
>>54721482
These are the changes I made to Sorcerers for my campaign
https://pastebin.com/wTLb4Kfm

Not exactly sure how overbearing the spell point+sorcery point resource is at higher levels since the party is currently level 4
>>
>>54715747
Are you sure you want Lightning Lure and Shocking Grasp? You have three different elements for your spell slots, but you could get a lot of type coverage just by replacing a cantrip with Chill Touch. It has utility too!
>>
>>54721455

Remember Belloq?
>>
>>54721362
Fighter 2, Rogue 3 (assassin), Ranger X.

Volley (all crit since you're acting first), Action Surge, Volley (all crit).
>>
>>54721471
While it does play kinda like a martial, I really want to play a real martial, with either crossbow or bow.

I would play an Artificer Gunsmith if the class wouldn't suck so bad.
>>
>>54721406
The sounds of your characters fighting goblins has drawn the white dragon out of it's cave as he mistakes the sounds of weapons clashing to the clangings of treasure
>>
>>54721503
No harm in getting 14 charisma. You only need 14 str and 15 con, do you'll have points left over.
>>
>>54721455
Take a page from From software in Patches.
>>
File: 1501179145569.jpg (144KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1501179145569.jpg
144KB, 1280x720px
>>54721482
My main gripe with Sorcerers is their lack of identity. I feel that they need to go full-blown magical being on order to differentiate themselves from wizards. Becomming true inate casters would be beat.
>>
>>54720910
Green-Flame Blade is a cantrip and uses the Cast a Spell action, and Extra Attack features only work with the Attack action.

A martial type multiclassed Sorcerer could Quicken it and then take the Attack action, or a Fighter could use Action Surge to take an attack action, and with those you could split up movement between each attack as per usual.
An Eldritch Knight gets a free weapon attack after using a cantrip at 7th level (via the War Magic feature) and they could also move about between each attack.
>>
>>54721219
That's what I'm doing. D10 hitdie. d6-d12 unarmed, no unarmored movement, str instead of dex for unarmored defense and some other stuff.
>>
>>54721007
Arcanoloth spy. When the party is at its most vulnerable, a squad of Nycaloths sweep in and strike.
>>
>>54721456
Sadly I can't overwhelm them with extra encounters or traps. See this is the situation: the party will be resting at a city or town when the villains spring a massive ambush with powerful enemies (CRs 5, 7, 9 and 14). The villains not only want to kill the party, they want to send a message that no place is safe from them.

My problem is how to fine-tune this encounter in a way that it has real chances of killing the PCs or even a TPK, but is still possible for them to win if they play smart.
>>
What happens if I knock a flying thing prone?
Do they fall to the ground? Are they still flying, but fallen down on nothing? Are they just immune to Battlemaster's Trip Attack?
>>
>>54721600
This is going to sound real stupid, but what is an innate caster? I know that everyone became spontaneous casters in 5e, but what counts as innate?

>>54721679
>Arcanoloth
>Nycaloth
With names like that, I always thought they were transformer-esque evil goons or something. "Gigaloth, Megaloth", etc
>>
>>54721691
It falls to the ground. Ranged trip attack is extremely effective against flying enemies.
>>
>>54721691
Nevermind, I feel dumb, it's in the rulebook.
>>
>>54721482
My houserules on Sorcerer:

>Sorcery (no longer Spellcasting).
Sorcerers can use the Spell Points variant as default, and add their Sorcery Points to the pool of Spell Points. This pool is used to cast spells and use their class features such as Metamagic.
>Sorcerous Restoration.
Beginning at 2nd level, you can meditate and focus yourself to regain some of your expended magical energy. Once per day when you finish a short rest, you can recover a number of expended sorcery points equal to your sorcerer level.
>Metamagic.
You gain three of the Metamagic options of your choice at 3rd level. You gain another two at 10th and another one at 17th level.
>Limitless Magic.
At 20th level, whenever you start your turn with 0 sorcery points, you immediately gain 3 sorcery points.
>>
>>54721655
Instead of pumping their hit die I think that monks need some sort of evasion. That feels more thematic. Reaction to convert half damage taken to temp hp or something.
>>
>>54721219
What's wrong with the Pugilist?
>>
>>54721724
>At 20th level, whenever you start your turn with 0 sorcery points, you immediately gain 3 sorcery points.
If you're doing the spell points+sorcery points variant, this ability is almost never going to kick in because you will rarely ever have used up all of your points. I changed the Sorcerer's level 20 ability to allow them to use metamagic on the spells of another creature they can see using their reaction, which I think allows for much more interesting situations
>>
>>54721700
Certain monsters in the MM are said to be "inate casters". I believe that they simply ignore the component rules for casting. They simply will magical effects into existance.
>>
>>54720975
>>54720980
>>54721007
>>54721632
Ah, gotcha, it could potentially work but with definite caveats and assumed level in mind.
Thanks a lot, bros!
>>
>>54721700
>With names like that, I always thought they were transformer-esque evil goons or something. "Gigaloth, Megaloth", etc
They used to be called Arcanadaemon and Nycadaemon and the race as a whole was called Daemons, but with 2nd edition and Bateezu and Tanarri, they too got a name change, and became Yugoloths. For some reason despite Devils and Demons being back in the picture, Daemons are still Yugoloths.
>>
File: poisons.jpg (175KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
poisons.jpg
175KB, 500x333px
I'm trying to make Assassin Rogue more of a poison-based class than a spy-based class. This is my first draft. Thoughts?

Assassin Rogue: Poisonous Boogaloo

>Bonus Proficiencies: At level 3, you gain proficiency with the poisoner's kit. You may spend one day of downtime to create up to a number of doses of basic poisons equal to your proficiency bonus. The ingredients for any one dose of any poison cost 10 GP. Each dose may be of one of the varieties listed below.
>> Venomprick (injury): creature must succeed on a DC 10 Constitution saving throw or take poison damage equal to 1 + half your Rogue level, rounded down.
>> Weak-knee (injury): creature must succeed on a DC 10 Constitution saving throw or fall prone.
>> Gutrot (ingestion): creature must make a DC 10 Constitution saving throw or be poisoned for 12 hours. This poison fails against creatures that are immune to either the prone or poisoned condition.
>> Graypowder (inhalation): creature must succeed on a DC 10 Constitution saving throw or be poisoned for one round. They may reattempt the saving throw on their next turn before the end of the round, ending the effect on themselves on a success.

>Assassinate: (Level 3, unchanged from base archetype)

>Potent Poisons: Starting at 9th level, your poisons have become much more potent. If a creature resists the damage of any poison you make yourself, it will still take the normal amount of damage as if it did not resist that damage type. Furthermore, any surprised creature you afflict with an injury or inhalation poison makes its saving throw against the poison with disadvantage.

>Overpowering Poisons: Starting at 13th level, your poisons have become tougher for afflicted creatures to overcome. You can choose to use 8 + your Proficiency bonus + your Intelligence modifier as the saving throw DC for any poison that you make yourself.

>Death Strike: (Level 17, unchanged from base archetype)
>>
>>54721756
Innate, bro.
>>
File: taunt.jpg (13KB, 540x489px) Image search: [Google]
taunt.jpg
13KB, 540x489px
>>54721836

Shit, I just realized the rider on Gutrot should have been added to Weak-knee instead.

Anyway, here's some numbers, assuming a +2 Intelligence race that started with 17 Intelligence, the standard post-racial maximum for point buy:

At Level 3, with 17 Int.: for 20 GP, in one downtime day you can create two doses of poison with a Con. saving throw DC of 10. Venomprick does 2 extra damage.

At Level 5, with 19 Int. (assuming Lv. 4 ASI): for 30 GP, in one downtime day you can create three doses of poison with a Con. saving throw DC of 10. Venomprick does 3 extra damage.

At Level 9, with 20 Int. (assuming Lv. 8 ASI): for 40 GP, in one downtime day you can create four doses of poison with a Con. saving throw DC of 10. Venomprick does 5 extra damage, overcoming poison resistance. Surprised creatures make their saving throws against your poisons with disadvantage.

At Level 13, with 20 Int.: for 50 GP, in one downtime day you can create five doses of poison with a Con. saving throw DC of 18. Venomprick does 7 extra damage, overcoming poison resistance. Surprised creatures make their saving throws against your poisons with disadvantage.

At Level 20, with 20 Int.: for 60 GP, in one downtime day you can create six doses of poison with a Con. saving throw DC of 19. Venomprick does 11 extra damage, overcoming poison resistance. Surprised creatures make their saving throws against your poisons with disadvantage.

I wanted to balance Venomprick to where its damage is low enough to reconcile it with being so easy to make, but high enough to not be totally worthless, but also low enough to where Rogues are encouraged to use the other poisons more, which can provide their teammates with very advantageous positions.
>>
The pact of the blade fiendpact warlock looks pretty fucking great, planning on being a masochist and tempting others into attacking me by having armor of agathys up and the temp hp features. Green-flame blade seems perfect for this.
>>
>>54721406
Anon, there's always other things that can happen. If they blow their collective load, maybe they attract attention. Maybe something comes across them and finds them wounded. Whatever really - there's only one encounter planned on THEIR behalf; but the world keeps going on. Unless they've specifically made sure nothing can interfere or happen, things can absolutely go wrong.

Maybe who ever they're ambushing has a larger group than planned. Maybe they have reinforcements nearby. Maybe, as another anon said, the fight draws attention and more things join the fray.
>>
>>54721890
Can confirm fun playstyle, but not mechanically optimal. prepare for the entire thread to shit on you.
>>
>>54721702
Thank you for the quick reply though, even if I found it like as you were posting.
New to 5e, trying to figure out what to take to have an archer fighter that's fitting as a Monster Hunter
Honestly surprised how toned down the size categories are on monsters from a quick glance.
>>
>>54721542
check out the one >>54720686 posted, the wandslinger/gunslinger there is a bit beefier (d10s instead of d8s for weapon damage, bonus action to amp it up).
More swingy because instead of attacks in sequence it's a single punchier attack, though.

The more recent Arcane Archer with Sharpshooter would be pretty great as well. With that at-will +1 as its first feature, the +2 from Archery fighting style, and you're only at a net -2 for every power shot.
>>
>>54721890
Is multiclassing into fighter actually needed? Does thirsting blade stack with multiattack?
>>
>>54721930
It does not stack. Both say "attack twice instead of once" not "attack an extra time"
>>
>>54721913
Excellent and it does seem fun as fuck. And no worries about mechanically suboptimal, we're playing more for the story and social aspect of it.
>>
>>54718028
>Tim Curry plays a trickster deity with a balloon for a face.
Pennywise, basically? An It reference?
>>
>>54721957
Ah, good to know, thanks bro!

>>54721913
We have other melee characters so I don't mind being secondary melee and I have amazing if repetitive damage in eldritch blast.
>>
Is Fires of Mephistopheles as op as it seems?
>>
>>54721018
My post assumed that the head priest is the one who's most in communication with the deity, and that the deity actually changed his mind. I admit that this isn't always a good assumption, so maybe I should've just said:
>Deity changes their mind (not about something super huge)
>Cleric changes their act
>Paladin changes their deity
>>
>>54722058
Yes, literally a better smite for EB
>>
Help?

>>54721898
The party will be in a town and the villains want to overwhelm them immediately. This is my concern: >>54721681
>how to fine-tune this encounter in a way that it has real chances of killing the PCs or even a TPK, but is still possible for them to win if they play smart.

Enemies are:
>1 Adult Black Dragon (CR 14)
>1 CR 7 NPC leading the assault
>group of mercenary fiends containing Mezzoloths (CR 5) and at least one Nycaloth (CR 9)
>maybe some CR 2 NPC reinforcements?

Dragon can be driven off if the party gives up something he wants (unlikely)
Fiends can be bought off by a large sum of money or turned (devotion pally Turn the Unholy)
>>
>>54720068
>Anything that allows both casting it and attacking in the same turn is too powerful for a cantrip
I feel it necessary to point out that, as written, you cannot benefit from it on the turn you cast it.
>>
>>54721233
I want a prizefighter. The lore that comes with the pugilist homebrew is pretty much perfect for the kind of character that I want but it has way too many unnecessary features and flaws for me to want to play it. Why would my con-dependent front liner with shitty AC have a d8 hit die? Why would I spend a long rest carousing to gain advantage on charisma checks when I just want to punch stuff and tank hits?
>inb4 "just take tavern brawler"
If 1d4 damage was good enough to cut it then whips wouldn't be shitty
>>
>>54722108
Now to convince dms to allow that in-game.

And you don't even need to know how to cast fireball, you can just do it.
>>
>>54721233
Meant to reply to >>54721264
>>
>>54720947
They seem to be working on a watery sorcerer so you might see that in Xanatars (and could repurpose that) but we aren't in your magical realm yet.
>>
>>54722171
>>54721233
Ah okay so just rework the Monk to better suit your needs. >>54721655 I think this is a solid change.
>>
>>54722167
A fireball that's centered on your target and can't be aimed to minimize ally splash. That uses a warlock spell slot, which you have few of.

It's powerful, but I don't find it that crazy.
>>
File: Pugilist.png (36KB, 770x504px) Image search: [Google]
Pugilist.png
36KB, 770x504px
>>54722154
>D8 hitdice
The creator wants it to be a d10 you can make it so.

>Long Rest for advantage on charisma stuff
Flavor, you're a fighter with renown, besides it's something nice to help you a little more.
>>
>>54722154
Take a barbarian, refluff hammer as brass knuckles or something like that?

Hell. Make it a barbarogue.
>>
>>54721923
Just looked over it and it looks really cool, and seems pretty balanced (wandslinger) at first glance. I will talk about it with my DM.

The only thing that bugs me is that the spelllist doesn't really fit for a wandslinger, as most spells require you to make weapon attacks. Guess you take the defensive and supportive spells instead.
>>
>>54719443
>Etsy
>hand made, made to order.
Funny way of spelling "bought from AliExpress and re-sold for a profit." At least in the context of dice sets.
>>
>>54721219
Ask your DM to swap Unarmoured Defence to Heavy Armour Proficiency. The rest can all work.

The issue with taking away the Monk flavor and making a brawler character is that quite simply, the Monk's using a kind of magic. No one can fight an ancient dragon unarmed without magical powers.

Why should a common street brawler be able to punch with the force of a greatsword without any sort of magical energy or Ki in this case?

I have no issue with a STR Monk who can use armour and I'm happy to allow something like that in my games, but people who don't want the Monk flavor of innate magic will have to suck up being a Tavern Brawler.
>>
>>54722148
Play with the terrain. Add things like pit traps that can screw with both the PCs and the monsters. Difficult terrain also works.

Add distance between the PCs and the monsters.

Add things like smoke if you want to screw with the casters (if you really hate your players). That ought to do it.
>>
>>54722154
Honestly Battlemaster with the Dual-Wielder feat. Ask to refluff your Warhammers as gauntlets.

Better yet be a Minotaur.
>>
as a wiz should I roll my d6 hit die or take my 4 hp on level ups?
>>
>>54722566
>heavy armor
>common street brawler
Prize fighters fight with no armor and continue fighting through injuries that would put ordinary people in the hospital or the grave. Player characters are supposed to be extraordinary members of society and if such a person spent their life fighting barehanded and taking punishment that would kill normal people, rather than training with weapons, armor, and battlefield tactics like a battle master would, then I'm not seeing the problem with letting them fight alongside monks and barbarians.
>>
>>54722843
Which is fine, there's nothing stopping your Monk or Barbarian from being a Prize Fighter. The real issue people have that they never admit to is they want their unarmed damage to be dealing the same as other weapons, that's it.

I say no, unless you're a Monk then the only way to get unarmed damage is Tavern Brawler or Natural Attacks. If you want to refluff a Warhammer as a gauntlet or something then feel free.

There's also the fact that there's nothing stopping your Monk from using STR and the only cost is AC, which is easily made up by the increased access to multiclassinig benefits like a Monk/Barbarian. Is it the most optimal option? No, but it's decent.

If you were worried about being the most optimal character around then I'm not going to allow extensive homebrew just so you can play exactly what you want when there's perfectly okay options that don't need homebrew.
>>
File: Pugilist Abilities.png (692KB, 920x454px) Image search: [Google]
Pugilist Abilities.png
692KB, 920x454px
>>54721655
>>54722154
>>54722289
Out of curiosity, are these abilities not sufficient enough for your HP?
>>
I want to do a drunken master type character, but the drunken master archetype is kind of sub par from what i heard, any ideas?
>>
>>54722977
Drunken Master is actually okay, you basically gain the Mobile feat when you Furry which frees up an ASI. Then you become king of saving throws and latter on get to do a retarded amount of attacks.

I'd use it as is and take advantage of the fact I don't need Mobile anymore. Probably play a Wood Elf or another race with DEX and WIS.
>>
>>54722843
>fight with no armor and continue fighting through injuries that would put ordinary people in the hospital or the grave. Player characters are supposed to be extraordinary members of society and if such a person spent their life fighting barehanded and taking punishment that would kill normal people
Literally a Barbarian with custom fist weapons. The custom weapons are only necessary due to the way 5e handles unarmed strikes. You could hack together a Primal Path if you really wanted but there is zero reason to make an entirely new class for it.
>>
Anons? Long story, I really want to homebrew a good dhampir race for a Dark Fantasy setting I'm doing, and I'm aiming for a subrace approach inspired by V:TR, so can I get some pointers on how to make this less overpowered?

Dhampir, mk 1:
Ability Score Modifiers: +1 Constitution
Size: Medium
Speed: 35 feet
Vision: Darkvision 120 feet
Child of the Dead: You have Resistance to Necrotic damage.
Spawn of the Night: You have Disadvantage on attack rolls and Perception checks based on sight made whilst you, the creature you are attacking, or the object you are studying is in direct sunlight. Additionally, for each hour you spend exposed to direct sunlight, you must make a Constitution check (DC 10 +1 per hour); on a failure, you gain one level of exhaustion. Wearing sufficiently covering clothes negates this sunlight weakness.
The Red Thirst: When you have a creature with the Humanoid, Beast or Monstrosity type Grappled, you can use a bonus action to inflict 1d4 + your Con modifier Necrotic damage on that creature.
Muddied Vitae: Your vampiric heritage manifests in the form of one particular aspect. Choose the Aspect of the Lord, Temptor, Predator, Lurker or Terror; you gain racial traits based on that subrace.
>>
>>54723057
Aspect of the Lord:
Ability Score Increase: +1 Charisma, +1 Wisdom
Master of Man and Beast: You have Proficiency in Animal Handling and Persuasion.
The Ruler Eternal: You increase your maximum hitpoints by +1. At each level you gain, you increase your maximum hitpoints by +1.

Aspect of the Temptor:
Ability Score Increase: +2 Charisma
Darkling Charms: You can cast the Friends cantrip. At 3rd level, you can cast Charm Person as a 1st level spell. At 5th level, you can cast Enthrall as a 2nd level spell. When you cast Charm Person or Enthrall with this trait, you cannot do so again until you complete a long rest. All spells cast with this trait use Charisma as their spellcasting ability score.

Aspect of the Predator:
Ability Score Increase: +1 Strength, +1 Dexterity
Bred to Hunt: You have Advantage on Survival checks made to track creatures or find game.
Protean Predator: As an action, you can will your body to produce natural weapons in the form of fangs, claws or similar appendages. This causes your Unarmed Strikes to inflict 1d6 Slashing, Piercing or Bludgeoning damage, as is appropriate, rather than the normal unarmed strike damage. At 5th level, as an action, you can reshape your body to gain either the Amphibious trait and a Swim speed equal to your walking speed, or a Fly speed equal to your walking speed, or a Burrow speed equal to your walking speed. At 7th level, as an action, you can grant yourself the Incorporeal Movement trait. Your alternate movement traits are Concentration effects that last for 1 hour, and once you have used the trait in this way, you cannot use it again until you complete a long rest. Whilst you have an alternate movement trait active, you can switch to another movement trait as an action.

Aspect of the Lurker:
Ability Score Increase: +2 Dexterity
Shadow-Walker: You apply double your Proficiency bonus to Stealth checks.
>>
>>54723006
Yes but with that rediculous number of attacks it has to be against several enemies.and the dm is playing out a more 1v1 hong kong film type of game
>>
>>54723057
Had to split this off because of 4 lousy characters... anyway, this is the "Nosferatu" inspired subrace, but I really ran out of ideas for this.

Aspect of the Terror:
Ability Score Increase: +2 Strength
Herald of Nightmares: You have Proficiency in Intimidation.
>>
>>54723083
First of all, you're saying there will never be more then one enemy? Second, even if there never will be AND you actually reach a high enough level for that, then just find situations where you can use it.

You can literally kill 140 commoners at level 20 per short rest completely unarmed. It's honestly the coolest high level Monk ability.
>>
>>54722323
Yeah, its casting is focused more around empowering other party members through infusions.
Spells cast through infusing don't require concentration, so if you were that melee archetype you could get up to some real nonsense.
>>
>>54722217
Cheers
>>
>>54723177
I'm saying it's a milestone based game and that whats the point of there being more than a few enemies?
>>
>>54723204
No, wait, overlooked something--"the bearer can maintain only one such spell at a time."
Still, you can effectively have two concentration spells up: one from infusions, one from normal casting.
>>
>>54715028
What is even the lore behind the celestial warlock? Like, you make a pact with an angel or something?

Where's the downside? How is this different from a cleric or a paladin, or why would someone choose it over those paths?
>>
Does anyone know if the D&D Icons of the Realms Gargantuan Blue Dragon is actually 4in by 4in in base? I'm not really seeing anything that indicates that it is.
>>
>>54723368
There are more celestials than angels. There are coautls, unicorns, and ki-rin, all of which have their own specific stuff separate from gods. There are also Empyreans, which aren't proper deities, and probably even more in D&D history.

A pact with a coautl would work fantastically in Eberron. It's one of my top character ideas I want to try.
>>
>>54723368

I'd like to imagine the warlock being the celestial's "off the books" guy. The clerics and paladins are the ones you bring home to meet mom and dad, y'know, but the warlock is for when you gotta get your hands dirty.
>>
>>54723368
Loads of celestial types, not all of them nice, not all of them with goals of goodness, puppies, and rainbows either.

Hell if you're going with a FR game most examples I can think of of celestials (especially angels) showing up in FR lore are for GLORIOUS BATTLE TO WIPE OUT OUR ENEMIES WITHOUT MERCY, as opposed to pushing for more generalist goals that clerics or paladins might represent.
>>
What kind of legendary actions would you give to a stone giant leader?

Is it too much to give both legendary actions AND magic items (like a ring of Spell Storing) to a solo encounter?
>>
>>54723368
>Cleric
MOSES I AM YOUR LORD GOD, GO UNTO PHARAOH AND BESEECH HIM LET MY PEOPLE GO

>Paladin
I DO WHAT I DO NOT BECAUSE IT IS COMMANDED, BUT BECAUSE I KNOW IT TO BE RIGHT AND HAVE SWORN TO DO IT.

>Celestial Warlock
Yo MICHAEL, y'all got any of that, uhh, cosmic power? Cause I ain't believe in ideals or shit but I know a motherfucker what need his ass SMOTE.
"lol k nigga but you owe me."
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (23KB, 300x444px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
23KB, 300x444px
>>54723368
>>
>>54723408
>making a pact with a unicorn.
Hah!
This is should known as the Brony pact.
>>
>>54723547
Try become learn english before posting.
>>
>>54723408
>making a pact with a unicorn.
Hah!
This should be known as the Brony pact.
>>
>>54723563
Smooth.
>>
>>54723563
It's called a Unicorntract
>>
As a bladelock, could I have made my weapon during rest? Or does it need to be made during combat?
>>
>>54723526
>implying he isn't a Vengeance pally
>>
>>54723589
Any 6-second interval, as it takes an action. You're able to take actions outside of combat, otherwise people wouldn't be able to cast certain spells at all.
>>
Is there any way to easily get in touch with Astranauta about a feature request for 5e Tools?

I'm git illiterate.
>>
>>54723563
>Year of our lord 2017
>kek horsefuckers XD

Comedy fucking gold, never stop posting anon.
>>
>>54723408
>>54723563
>>54723582
https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/6r4dtu/art_ariea_the_tiefling_warlock_with_a_pact_to_a/
Take a gander lads
>>
>>54723368
There's a story in the Scarred Lands about a man who sold his soul to a "fiend" for the powers of a sorcerer, and then used those powers to be a great hero who helped many people. On his deathbed, he lamented that he knew he was damned, but he considered his soul a worthy sacrifice in exchange for all the people he could help with that magic.

Cue the "fiend" chuckling and chiding him that it'd be a very cruel world if only fiends could make such bargains, before whisking his soul off to heaven.

Change the magic gained from "sorcerer" to "warlock", and that's a Celestial Warlock in a nutshell.
>>
>>54723682
>Bladelock
>Shortsword
>No armor
Dies instantly, 1/10, would Vicious Mockery
>>
>>54723661
There's no need to be upset.
>>
>>54723638
Excellent as, good to know. Now I can keep getting it up.
>>
I could've sworn Sentinel was a possible fighting style for Fighters, but when I look at the Player Handbook it's not. Am I crazy? Is it a fighting style in UA or something? My Fighter even has Sentinel as his fighting style but now I'm starting to think I accidentally gave myself something I'm not allowed to have and my DM just didn't care/notice
>>
>>54723738
Sentinel is a feat.
>>
>>54723661
I'm not sure if you're annoyed at him for making fun of horsefuckers, bringing them up at all, or being one.
>>
>>54723738

There's a style called Tunnel Fighter which lets you make opportunity attacks without using your reaction. Were you thinking of that?
>>
>>54723793
Nah, I'm thinking I just got confused or something. Now the moral question is whether I just pretend like I don't know and get a free feat, or if I tell my DM I fucked up and go with something else
>>
>>54715028
Warforged Hell sounds like a cool place for a campaign.
>>
>>54723792
I fuck men, anon, not horses.
I'm just tired of people complaining about the same fucking thing for 7 straight years and pretending their old jokes are still clever.
>>
>>54723845
It would turn into never ending portal jokes.
>>
>>54723829
Tell the DM you both made a mistake and get Good boy Points. Maybe your DM is a nice guy and will give you Tendies.
>>
File: 1458699601353.jpg (186KB, 534x1236px) Image search: [Google]
1458699601353.jpg
186KB, 534x1236px
>>54723891
I told him, just swapped it out for Defense. He didn't give me any tendies but he appreciated it anyway.
So right now my fighter is a sword and board Battlemaster with Defense, my Variant Human feat is HAM, and I'll grab Sentinel at level 6 and Shield Master at level 8.
My goal is to become the ultimate big boi controller. Every encounter I want to make the toughest enemy my bitch and hold him in place away from the squishies with a combination of
>Opportunity attacks stopping enemies in their tracks
>Punishing anyone who tries to attack anyone but me
>Knocking them prone (with a bonus action) to half their speed and give advantage on attacks on them
>Grappling prone enemies to make them useless
>Shoving them away from squishies (with a bonus action) so that they can escape without being forced to disengage
All the while using my maneuvers when things get out of control, maneuvering strike to get squishies out of sticky situations, menacing strike when enemies try to ignore me so that they have disadvantage on everything, etc.
And of course HAM for that little bit of extra survivability while I force the toughest enemy to focus on me.
I will become the immovable object.

Pic related, it's my character putting the biggest enemy in his place
>>
>>54723682
It's actually fairly creative for a Tiefling Warlock. Dumb as shit and I wouldn't allow it for my style of games, but I appreciate something beyond ma unspeakable horror and ma tricky gambler that 99% of /5eg/'s Warlocks are.
>>
>>54724138
Should've gone Knight for a controller but Battlemaster can do it as well.

Knight's more "I do nothing but punish and control" whereas Battlemaster's basically the jack-of-all Fighter.
>>
>>54723738
You probably were thinking of Protection
>>
>>54724265
Fiendpact haunted one warlock to become someone who has taken a pact to defend innocents and hunt down the monsters who would harm them.
>>
How would I play something like him? Eldritch Knight Archer would neglect Lemon Energy Arms' analysis effect, although between his bow and his rapier in normal Energy Arms, I'll want high DEX. Lockseeds could be emulated with some form of conjuration. I'm thinking Pact of the Blade Warlock, but not sure which pact. Infernal could work (Sagara is essentially Satan), but I could see arguments for Archfey and Great Old One based on Helheim's structure and nature respectively. Anyone have any advice?
>>
Convince me that 4e combat maneuvers won't make 5e better.

>back to "I attack with my sword"
>No more "I hold the handle of my hammer firm and swing about in a complete circle, smashing all enemies around me at once."
>no swordmage class that imbues his attacks to do aoe around him or in cones and such

5e is decent but I still like 4e more, but feel like it could be better than 4e if they combined the two.
>>
>>54724265
>Dumb as shit
At least she probably didn't dump her physical stats like one half-elf fey bladelock I had who made the bladelock specifically to help out the frontline out with a glaive (str 10, dex 10, AC capping at 12).
Now THAT is dumb as shit.
>>
>>54724343
Try playing a Stone Sorcerer?
>>
Pugilist is a stupid fucking meme homebrew for pant-shitting babies who want to play le epic punching man but won't just play a monk because it isn't snowflakey enough.
>>
>>54724343
Because most of those "options" for attacks were meaningless and unbalanced. A lot of people never bring up the main issue 4e had because let's be honest, not many people here actually played 4e.

The illusion of choice was there but in reality saying "I use Five Storms" every turn as a Monk is no different to saying "I attack" every turn. All their other at-will powers were pretty fucking shit unless you specifically built around that.

Even Fighter was basically going to be spamming the same ability unless a very specific circumstance came up where you needed to use Knockdown Assault or something. Even then, 5e Fighters can still give up pure damage for shoving someone prone. Same as a 4e Fighter could do. Who knew?

If you really want to add more to 5e combat use the Disarming, Shove Aside, Facing and maybe Marking rules from the DMG. They help spice stuff up.
>>
>>54724343
You know you can describe your attacks in 5e as well, right?
>>
>>54724317
Fey Pact Bladelock would work best out of those, along with Battlemaster Fighter.
>>
>>54724307
Yeah I didn't know UA was a thing when I built this character, maybe I'll do Knight on a different character in the future
>>
>>54724463
Apparently I've been using Shove Aside this whole time unknowingly, just without disadvantage.
>>
>>54724540
I could see Battlemaster.
Next step is finding a group willing to play.
>>
>>54722834
When you can only go 2 hp higher, but can lose up to three 3 hp, it seems safer to take your 4.

>>54723029
Agreed. I don't actually mind Pugilist, personally, and I think it adds some neat interaction mechanics to the game - but its pretty damned easy to just roll a Barbarian with refluffed fist weapons. Hell, you could even roll just a Tavern Brawler Barbarogue if you can convince your DM to let you sneak attack with improvised weapons; the damage dice loss on weapon would make up for sneak attack (up until the point you started to deal with magical resistances), and would make for a pretty damned fun character.

>>54723589
You can manifest your weapon at any point. So you can just carry it around on you as if its a normal weapon, and only summon it if its removed from you (or you're in a situation where you didn't want to take an obvious weapon in, and now you do). That's actually the best way to do it, because otherwise you're wasting an action just calling up your weapon.

I do wish there was an invocation to make it a bonus action.
>>
>>54724463
Any opinion on Overrun and Tumble? Planning on using them on my game.
Also, does Mark seen strong or it's just me. I understand they get an effective "free" reaction against one target, but is it too strong?
>>
Is there a better feel than sheathing your sword to grapple a guy and beating his face in with your shield?
>>
>>54724975
Sheathing your sword to grapple a grapple a guy and burying your dick in his ass.
>>
Is the Curse of Strahd map and tokens ever gonna be posted?
>>
>>54720947

Best I've found so far is Dylan Serra's "Slythe" race ( http://www.dmsguild.com/product/171274/Races-Revived-Slythe?term=slythe&test_epoch=0 )

Played one, liked it. I think it succeeds at being alien enough that you actually feel like a non-humanoid, but not being so weirdly out-there that it becomes unbalancing or distracting.
>>
>>54721391

Ordinarily yes, but word of Crawford is that they can still be used on your turn as well.
>>
>>54724651
That's good, lets people take movement and positioning as something they can actually control on the field.

>>54724918
Those are good, especially because it gives more use to bonus actions then PAM for melee types. Also Tumble's nice for short races.

I agree Mark can be a bit weird but my solution is to also make it a Bonus Action to use, I'm add a bit more choice to how the turn plays out. Make sure enemies Mark the players as well.
>>
>>54719289
Gamescience looks good, ordered a set but international shippping takes a while
>>
>>54725068
They always have. Cast Shield against a Readied Attack or an Opportunity Attack for example
>>
>>54721752

Flavor's a bit un-5e, uneven balance, and it suffers from a rabid fanbase that pushes it when it's not what's really wanted. Namely, it usually comes up when people want a DPR-focused STR monk with less focus on resource management, mobility, or circumstances and while pugilist is something like that, it's not exactly that.
>>
Is there a /tg/ recommended list of 3rd party 5e books?
>>
>>54723420

That's how I run mine: permanent change means full deniability
>>
>>54725232
Tome of Beasts is a great 3rd-party MM, if sometimes iffy mechanically. Beyond Damage Dice is a neat, low-balance-impact way to vary martial combat. Both are by Kobold Press and in the trove.
>>
>>54723690
That sounds like a pretty neat story, I like that
>>
>>54725278
I enjoy Beyond Damage Dice, some of the ones that let you basically stunning strike need a bit of a nerf and a Fighter being able to Action Surge sunder a creature's AC down like 6 points is kinda iffy.

It's pretty nice though.
>>
>>54723368
>>54723420
I prefer this analogy:

Clerics and paladins are like your wife, real nice woman, you meet her parents and vice versa, settle down with her, you really feel like you can rely on her.

Celestial warlocks are like the five dollar whore behind the liquor store you visit every Sunday for a cheap blowjob and some coke.
>>
>>54725191
>it usually comes up when people want a DPR-focused STR monk with less focus on resource management, mobility, or circumstances
Which is basically a Fighter or Barbarian who uses unarmed attacks.

Honestly just remove Fighter's Fighting Style and give them Monk Damage for unarmed attacks. Done.
>>
Next thread question should be about favourite homebrew creatures because I want to use all your ideas
>>
>>54724524
All the flowery language in the world does not change the mechanics of an attack
>>
>>54725319

Literally what I do, but that wasn't the question.
>>
>>54725319
Thats is a neat idea. I already tweaked one feat to give a fighter maneuver, so that even allows barbarians to pick it up if they want.
>>
>>54725278
>>54725299
My problem with Beyond Damage Dice is that some of the options just entirely replace normal attacks. Instead of giving martials more options in combat, it makes everything else irrelevant because you can just stun-spam a nigger and push him 15 feet away ON TOP of normal damage.

The poisons were fucked too, way too powerful in comparison to the PHB one.
>>
Playing a tier 4 campaign next week, what's the most fun class to play at high levels?
>>
>>54725278
I have tome of beasts and I like it despite Wolfgang Baur's drowning fetish. I also got book or lairs too. Beyond damage dice looks cool. What do you guys think of the 5e middle earth books?
>>
>>54725403
Martial Adept is already a feat
>>
>>54725278
ToB, judging solely from the stat blocks, is fucking terrible. You can't actually use it as anything but a starting point, and it fails to conform to CR standards whatsoever. Any aspiring DM would do well to use "No Third Party" on 5etools.
>>
>>54725403
What feat did you tweak? Why not just use Martial Adept?
>>
How am I supposed to tank if the enemy always just ignores me and goes for my squishies? I can chase them around and opportunity attack their asses but they just chase my poor little squishies around. We fought 3 Wights with 100hp each yesterday and our Bard went down twice, our druid once, while I only lost like 25% of my health
>>
Is there any homebrew for a class that either plays like the Warlord (moreso than a Battlemaster) or is a summoner/necromancer/etc. that focuses on larger groups of weaker summons to order around, with focus on tactics?
>>
>>54725645
G R A P P L E
R
A
P
P
L
E
>>
>>54725705
Try a mystic with Mastery of Light and Darkness and Mantle of Command.
>>
>>54725232
Tome of Beasts, obviously.
Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting, despite people's opinions on the show itself, is a really well-made book. The Gazetteer section with the plot hooks for various level tiers makes SCAG looks like a fanbook.
>>
File: odler noble in plate.jpg (241KB, 832x1367px) Image search: [Google]
odler noble in plate.jpg
241KB, 832x1367px
>>54725645
I guess you are just not supposed to tank MMO-style. Just go in first and beat the shit out of them - that should draw enough of their attention.

If you are nearly unhittable and deal only mediocre damage, ignoring you is very reasonable course of action.
>>
>>54725645
Use Sentinel and PAM.
>>
Do genies have a lifespan in most settings?
>>
What do you guys think of this homebrew?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwRBp4t9A8LbM0ZDdkRObHdzX0E/view
>>
>>54725759
Mystic? Is that in the Homebrew Pastebin, or is that some base thing I'm overlooking?
>>
>>54725844
It's UA.
>>
File: UAMystic3.pdf (401KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
UAMystic3.pdf
401KB, 1x1px
>>54725844
Unearthed Arcana, psychic powers and the such.
>>
>>54725556
Adventures in Middle Earth is technically a separate "system," using 5e's OGL as a base. It's not assumed to be entirely compatible, so be careful using stuff from there in normal 5e games.
>>
>>54724463
It's actually not brought up because you're the only asshole who thinks 4e characters used at-wills enough to feel spammy.
>>
If I crit with a Battlemaster maneuver do I get to roll the superiority damage dice twice as well? I got a crit with a menacing strike in our last session and the DM told me I only get to double my weapon damage dice. When I read the PHB though, it seems like he robbed me. He said something about "4d8 is way too much damage for a single attack from a level 4 character." I think that's kinda bullshit because how often am I going to crit while also using a maneuver.
>>
>>54725858
This works pretty well for the Warlord substitution. The Mastery of Light and Shadow scratches the surface of my tactical summoner itch, but I'd like to see something like that fleshed out into a full class.
>>
>>54725960
>If I crit with a Battlemaster maneuver do I get to roll the superiority damage dice twice as well
Yes. Any dice that are applied to that attack directly are doubled, including smites, sneak attack, Flametongue's extra damage, and superiority dice damage.
>>
File: crits 5e.png (208KB, 419x218px) Image search: [Google]
crits 5e.png
208KB, 419x218px
>>54725960
Read the book.
>>
>>54726008
>When I read the PHB though, it seems like he robbed me.
I read that exact thing before I posted this, I just wanted to be 100% sure and get some second opinions
>>
Wouldn't spells with somatic components be Dex based?
>>
File: AmIRetarded.png (354KB, 665x574px) Image search: [Google]
AmIRetarded.png
354KB, 665x574px
>>54726054
???
>>
>>54726054
Shouldn't your physical stats be limited by your constitution?
>>
So, a friend of mine is starting a 5e campaign. I've never played D&D before, and he's never DMed. He heavily encourages snowflaking on characters (also anime references, but I draw a hard line there), and is pretty much begging all of his players to play a Monster Manual creature of CR 2 or lower as a player race (with slight tweaks).

So, my question is, what race would be best (mechanically or fluffy) for a College of Lore Bard; a Storm, Stone, or Dragon Sorc; a Great Old One, Fiend, or Undying Light Warlock (probably Bladelock, maybe Booklock); or a Necromancer?
>>
File: 20170806_013249.png (1MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
20170806_013249.png
1MB, 1440x2560px
>>54725960
>how often am I going to crit while also using a maneuver
EVERY crit should have maneuver damage. You've been doing it wrong this whole time, you don't decide to make the attack a maneuver until AFTER you make the attack roll and KNOW that it hits. I bet you thought you could waste superiority dice too, didn't you?
>>
>>54726098
FUCK
>I bet you thought you could waste superiority dice too, didn't you?
Yup, I've been spending while I roll to attack.
>>
>>54726160
In that moment anon learned why Battle Masters are the most popular Fighter Subclass.
>>
>>54725232
>>54725777
Tome of the Beast is good. Seconded for the Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting. Tons of plot hooks and some nice ground work for evolving magic items.

Also, I use Fifth Edition Foes from time to time.
>>
File: ebony witch.jpg (169KB, 900x664px) Image search: [Google]
ebony witch.jpg
169KB, 900x664px
>>54726094
Half elf is best race for pretty much every charisma caster.

Fluffwise:
Lore bard: High elf, rock gnome (ugh).
Storm sorc: Wood elf, half-orc - pretty much anything "in touch with nature".
Stone: Dwarf. Did you really need to ask?
Dragon: ...dragonborn?
Warlocks and Necromancers: Only humans are stupid and impatient enough to deal with Devil, Cthulhu, or dab into Forbidden Arts.
>>
>>54725930
Even with their encounter and daily powers the balance was way off. You had around 10 options at each level by the end of the game's life for each level, only 2 were normally considered good enough to take though.

4e had just as many issues as 5e, the difference is it focused more on characters doing amazing stuff and being able to pick all their specific powers which the majority of the D&D fanbase acted badly to. Personally I think it's alright but prefer the simplicity of 5e to it.

Also there's the fact literally anything with the Shadow Power source was worthless, that they fucked the math up so bad they had to redo every monster and there was still obvious power gaps. Avengers and Monks were both trash compared to any other Striker for instance.

4e was interesting, but still had many flaws and isn't the god edition it's fanbase pushes it as.

It was better then 3e, 3.5e and Pathfinder though. I'll give you that.
>>
>>54726231
Did you read the first part of the post? I'm 90% sure I'll have my character rejected if I choose a PH race. I've read up enough to know what PH stuff works well - both lore and mechanically. If it weren't for that autism, I'd definitely go half-elf; it fluffs well for pretty much all of them, and works mechanically for everything but Necro.
>>
>>54726094
>never DMed
>is pretty much begging all of his players to play a Monster Manual creature of CR 2 or lower as a player race (with slight tweaks).

Tell him to fuck off and play a normal bloody game.
>>
File: hm.png (71KB, 480x705px) Image search: [Google]
hm.png
71KB, 480x705px
>>54715028
Bard grappler in Curse of Strahd. Any good?
>>
>>54726278
I tried that. Multiple times.
He's literally on the autism spectrum, and believes that doing anything in a game in a remotely simple or normal way will actually make him braindead. As it is, it took multiple people to talk him out of trying to homebrew an entire system without DMing an existing one first.
>>
>>54726094
>he's never DMed
Ok
>He heavily encourages snowflaking on characters
Red flag
>also anime references
RED FLAG
>is pretty much begging all of his players to play a Monster Manual creature
GET OUT WHILE YOU STILL CAN

This game WILL be garbage and you will have no excuse nor any sympathy if you actually play in it
>>
>>54726312
>He's literally on the autism spectrum
See >>54726313 because this new information is begging for the warning to be repeated
>>
>>54726254
Oh, i figured you meant PHB races refluffed as monster races. Because that is only way to go about it that makes sense to me.
>>
>>54726313
He's a friend of mine, and the only person in the area that I know of willing to DM for people who haven't played before. There are D&D things at the LGSes, but the DMs at one require people to have played in multiple sessions before allowing them in, the sole DM in one has a campaign that's been going on for as long as I've seen them there, with no signs of starting over or letting new people in, and the third store's DMs are a mix between the first category, and people who believe that if you didn't grow up with AD&D, you shouldn't be allowed to play at all.

>>54726336
I mean, I could try pulling some bullshit of being effectively human/half-elf/etc., but technically a revanent or something like that.
>>
File: Stratos.jpg (206KB, 1402x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Stratos.jpg
206KB, 1402x1600px
>>54721964
Nah, more the cunning "I did warn you not to trust me" Chaotic trickster deity than the lolrandom joker/Joker version.
http://sacrifice-shiny.wikia.com/wiki/Stratos
To be honest, his appearance is the wackiest thing about him.
>>
>>54726356
That's one tricky situation to be in anon. Can you at least Volo's Guide or smth?
>>
>>54726464
If it's not from the core books, I have to link him the material to look over. As long as it doesn't look overpowered on the surface, he'll accept it - and he views "overpowered" in quantity of abilities (even if some of them are purely fluff) and large numbers. Like, he thinks Illusionists are useless (which tempts me to play one).
>>
>>54724918
Mark seems major (and is) because 4e had Opportunity Actions once per turn and immediate actions once per round (like 5e reaction.)
>>
>>54726464
Another thing I should note are a couple things:

All aquatic creatures and creatures with a weakness to sunlight will be inherently disadvantaged. This campaign will be set in a desert, with most dungeons being open-topped ruins.
MM races will be converted for players by the following:
>+2 to one of the two highest stats
>-2 to one of the two lowest stats
>One innate resistance may be kept, the rest can be unlocked as a single feat
>One innate condition immunity may be kept, the rest can be unlocked as separate feats
>Any movement over 50 is reduced to 50
>Any passives are subject to discretion, but can be taken as feats if not allowed immediately
>Any attacks and spell-likes are subject to the same rules
>>
Names for a Mystic Human who's effectively a Warlord?
>>
>>54726618
Are you talking about a birth name or title?
>>
>>54726639
Either or both. I was thinking of making him a noble so a title could be cool.
>>
>>54726648
Depends on whether you want to be full fantasy or not-world based (not-english, not-japanese, etc.).
>>
>>54726667
Full fantasy probably, I've never been a fan of injecting real world countries into names and stuff.
>>
New thread, folks:

>>54726675
>>54726675
>>54726675
>>
>>54726674
Has your DM set any background for where your character is going to be from? Naming conventions? Flavor?
>>
>>54726253
>4e was interesting, but still had many flaws and isn't the god edition it's fanbase pushes it as.
>It was better then 3e, 3.5e and Pathfinder though. I'll give you that.
It was a breath of fresh air after 3.5. It also had too many books, too much splat, delayed core classes and races, Essentials class design was a total fuckup, and abused the concept of errata terribly, but also put out obvious "math fix feats" at the same time. I really appreciate 5e's greater simplicity. Wouldn't give that up for all the encounter powers in the world, but I still have fond memories of 4e.
Thread posts: 404
Thread images: 37

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.