[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lethality

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 1501089443796.jpg (215KB, 819x621px) Image search: [Google]
1501089443796.jpg
215KB, 819x621px
I'm homebrewing a system for intense combat, where armor type and weapon damage type play major roles in victory.

The issue I run into is when thinking of unarmored characters. Currently things like a mace can easily kill an unarmored character in three hits or less.

Is this too much? Once you add armor the players could take seven maybe eight hits to kill and that is a number I can wrap my head around.

But three?
>>
Dude, a few years ago, a local teenager was charged with involuntary manslaughter because he killed a classmate. With his fist. In one punch. To the temple.

Human beings are fucking easy to kill. Depending on where you hit someone with a mace, you can easily kill them in one hit. Hell, even a glancing blow to the head with a mace could kill someone.
>>
>>54677400
No. Three hits is an ideal number.

>intense lethal combat
>8 hits
anon what the fuck
>>
>>54677551
These numbers are at most, a player could die from a single mace blow unarmored and in four in full plate.
>>
>>54677551
>Three hits is an ideal number.
I used to think this but it's a bit more complicated than that. Defensively specialized characters should last significantly longer than the average, whereas offence specialized characters should last significantly less. There's also the matter of extra effort you might put into attacks, from once-per-battle powers or even 'daily' abilities. Ultimately I think that 5-6 is probably a better baseline, so that characters who are squishy don't die in one hit from a powerful enemy.
>>
>>54677400
Riddle of Steel isn't too far off from what you're coming up with. High lethality is fine as long as combat is made more than "I hit X with Y"
>>
You could factor in Willpower and just give unarmored players a shit ton. Theres a difference between 'my arm hurts from being sore' and 'my arm is broken and I can't use it'.
>>
Worry less about how easily people get killed, and worry more on increasing the amount of attacks needed to get three solid hits in.

Killing someone tied to a chair with three mace blows is easy.

Killing someone in armour with a shield and a sword jumping around, attacking, counter attacking and parrying, with three mace blows is hard.
>>
Im my home-brew system have damage tables. Weapon quality adds to a d% roll, Armour subtracts. Types of damage are much more effective on specific body parts (multipliers or add/subs).

The D% just tell you how severe the injury is, the more severe the less effective that part of the body is, affecting certain dice checks.
>>
>>54677551
Agreed. A TTK higher than three just means everything's a godawful slog.
>>
>>54677400
What the fuck is "intense" combat?
>>
>>54678731
TTK?
>>
>>54678795
I suspect they mean combat that "feels" deadly, where every hit has the potential to kill, not like many systems where you can go through several turns of combat before you life is in immediate danger.

>>54680475
Video game term, "time to kill", basically meaning how long it takes on average to kill an enemy. It seems to mainly be used in FPS games, since a low TTK means you can spend minimal time exposed to fire, and your enemy doesn't have a chance to shoot back. Here however they seem to be using it to mean the actual number of hits to kill an enemy, which isn't directly related to time (because some attackers may have multiple attacks per round, and attacks aren't guaranteed to hit).
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.