[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What we do here is go back

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

You go back in time just before your first session as a GM or player or both. What would you do with the benefit of the hindsight, anon? What would your roleplaying history look like? Would you start with D&D again?
>>
I'd read the actual book instead of just going to character creation.
>>
I'd run the premade campaign instead of spending the time making one up.
>>
File: 1241084801658.jpg (185KB, 1236x800px) Image search: [Google]
1241084801658.jpg
185KB, 1236x800px
I'd still start with D&D? But I'd also explore other systems and genres a lot sooner, and take early steps to avoid becoming the Forever Alone DM.
Somehow.
>>
I mean, obviously, I'd run a better game than I did back then, but really my biggest changes would be social. With hindsight I know which players would go on to be lifelong friends, which ones will wander off, and that I will never, ever get along with Matt, seriously, fucking Matt.
>>
>>54671813
Yeah, reading the rulebooks all the way through before playing is a huge benefit. I originally went into D&D blind the first time so our first play session was just 5-6 hours of making characters.

When I was going to play Rifts, I read the books completely and it was just way easier to start.
>>
>>54671686
I didn't start with DnD, but all things considered I wouldn't start with that group at all.
>>
>>54671686
I just don't bother because I know everyone else is going to flake. Never touched that system ever again anyway.
>>
try not to be an edgy fuck and not make a tiefling warlock/bard that was "the daughter of a demon" and played metal music with their enchanted lute.

I look back with cringe. Tried to remake the character with more class recently, went pretty well.

Try and convince the girl in our D&D group not to commit suicide, not that I knew she would at the time.
>>
>>54671686
I think I wouldn't change anything about my 1st GMing. It was a 1 on 1 shadowrun 5ed mission with him playing a street sam doing a rescue mission for a mob boss. It was a good idea to start that way, and I handled it pretty well in hindsight.
>>
The game went pretty well but I think I'd trim the fat a bit on the plot. Things got pretty pointless towards the end of the game and I ended up abandoning a load half baked plot threads and ideas. Players still enjoyed themselves at least.
>>
>>54671686
If I get sent back in time to middle school, the last thing I'm gonna worry about is gaming.
>>
I didn't start with D&D. I started with White Wolf products. In hindsight, I'd probably have just not played it with anyone outside of my friend group of people who know what the fuck was going on. Fuck you Elizabeth, I'm glad your guts spilled on a road somewhere.
>>
>>54671686
Bring the photos for the GM to see before she becomes his girlfriend and we all fucking suffer.
>>
Invest in Google, probably
>>
File: beginning the campaign.gif (7MB, 500x210px) Image search: [Google]
beginning the campaign.gif
7MB, 500x210px
>starting with D&D
I laugh at you pitiable animals with poor pedigrees
I would never change my initiation to pen and paper however I would tell my former self in a note or something to not muffle myself to do a special voice for some character because people won't hear it and you'll feel awkward and shitty
That and to never EVER regret killing that guy in the game
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.