[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 396
Thread images: 29

>Unearthed Arcana: Greyhawk Initiative:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAGreyhawkInitiative.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
>>54645441

Were Barbarians a mistake?
>>
>>54653851
The most forgettable class in D&D is ranger
I go long periods just completely forgetting it exists or mixing its traits up with rogue
>>
>>54653851
Barbs are one of the best though
>>
>>54653851
Barbarians could have just been fighter archetypes.
>>
>>54653876
>Rangers: Rogues That Aren't Quite
Barbs are awrite in 5e. They used to be fighters with one ability instead of none.
>>54653888
That's actually a perfectly good idea. Gosh.
>>
>>54653882
Most def. Battleragers in a rage can do damage on a par with Polearm Master builds while retaining the AC of a shield
>>
>>54653904
>Battleragers in a rage can do damage on a par with Polearm Master builds

How?
>>
File: archfey 3.jpg (39KB, 555x361px) Image search: [Google]
archfey 3.jpg
39KB, 555x361px
Reposting on the new thread for hopefully some more advice.

I wrote down a quick draft of the contract an archfey would present to my party:

>I, King Witchthorn, ruler of the Shadow Glade, will grant the piece of the [legendary item] in my possession to the signer and companions. I will also disclose any information that I am able to share about the dragon Chuth, the Emerald Assassin. Lastly, I will grant the signer a boon.

>In return, the signer of this contract and chosen companions will slay or drive off the aforementioned dragon. The signer must also make a pledge to King Witchthorn. They will be oath bound, that King Witchthorn may call upon them at a later time of my choosing.

Does this look like something an archfey would write? Should he use more flowery language? English is not my native language, so I always have a hard time making more eloquent stuff.
>>
File: town.jpg (222KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
town.jpg
222KB, 1920x1080px
I have a player who's rolled up a Card Player character, low combat power directly, but decent utility with Fate Dice and can fill in the roll for a thief somewhat better than a Bard can.
They've hinted at a few junctures they want to open some kind of thieving...thing? I dunno what to call it, but her character definitely wants to do some fencing and pickpocketing on an organized scale.

So the thing is I dunno how to do this angle. Never really done anything like that, and given how her character only has mentioned it in an obtuse ways to NPCs unaffiliated with the "good guys" I of course don't see a decent way to do this in a normal gaming session anyways.
Should I perhaps set up a solo session for her character to do some thievery and general skulduggery and try to let her set up some crappy thieving guild she could build up on later?
>>
What would people's thoughts be on changing the Wizard class out to be a Psion instead? Restrict them to the more fitting spells on the list, basically the things that fit well as telepathy or telekinesis, and have them use Spell points to make up for some of that lost versatility and set them apart as a casting class?
>>
>>54654039
If only they had already made a class for this
>>
>>54654039
>changing the Wizard class out to be a Psion instead
Why the fuck would you do that when there's a Psion class in the UA that you can use instead?
What the fuck is wrong with wizards that would cause you to want to delete them from the game and fill in their spot with some half-assed limited spell pseudo-wizard?
>>
>>54654039
No good ever comes of psionics. Thighonics on the other hand...unf.
>>
>>54654039
Sorcerer would probably be a closer fit, but obviously there's already the Mystic (though I can understand holding off on using it for now)
>>
>>54653888
Agreed. Warlocks should have also just been a Sorcerer Archtype.

Although Sorcerers should have warlocks short-rest style casting so there is a discernable difference between a Wizard and a Sorcerer other than one sucks dick.
>>
>>54653851
I always feel a bit weird about barbarians; I've seen talk here about how 'there's no real front line, and if you run out to the front line you're opening yourself up to get killed' but .. That's basically what Barbarian's do. They are melee focused combatants with a special ability that falls off if they don't attack during a round. It lends them to a very one dimensional gameplay.
>>
>>54654003
UA Downtime -> Crime

Or build a thieves' guild, idk.
>>
>>54654066
>>54654069
>>54654087
As you say, Mystic is unfinished and everything I've heard of it sounds like a mess. Wizards themselves still aren't really having any problems in terms of power level, especially compared to Sorcerers.

Why not kill two birds with one stone, nerf the class into a still functional one, and get something more distinct?
>>
>>54654095
Just stripping the spooky parts of the warlock base class and having warlocks be the spammy mage with a "mysterious bloodline" archetype would make more sense than starting with the sorcerer
>>
>>54654166
No non-UA class really needs to be nerfed
>>
>>54654166
>Wizards themselves still aren't really having any problems in terms of power level, especially compared to Sorcerers.

Wait? Sorcerers are GOOD now? When did this happen? Everything I've heard about them is that they're just inferior wizards with less spells known, a worse spell list, and meta-magic that doesn't really compare to a wizard's specialty school.
>>
Why do Wizards use Firebolt when Chill Touch and Ray of Frost are so much more useful?
>>
>>54654166
A homebrew design is generally worse than an UA design.

Wizards don't really need changing except for some of their high level spells (and nerf stuff like polymorph) and perhaps the DM has to think about making sure there are enough encounters per long rest. Also prevent them from doing shit like a level dip into cleric. Also require the martial players to stop sucking and admit they need feats / fix feats, then suddenly the wizard's in line (unless you have no non-combat stuff / your wizard sucks, in case the wizard is actually underpowered)

The wizard is a lot more fun in concept than a psion with their utility powers, I'd say, and much more generally applicable to campaigns flavour-wise than a psion.
>>
>>54654184
>Why do wizards use attack cantrips?
FTFY

Wizards should do other things with their action such as dodge, create illusionary walls/boxes, pull that lever, make a knowledge check, whatever the fuck unless they've decided to cast a proper spell.
>>
>>54654202
Or grapple
>>
>>54654183
My point exactly. That isn't technically a problem...for the Wizard.

>>54654191
>>54654181
A more thematic spell list is hardly a huge sweeping nerf. It's not like I'm going to just cut them down to two schools or anything.

Also
>The wizard is a lot more fun in concept than a psion with their utility powers
>so you should use the less fun class instead of calling the more fun class by the less fun class's name
>>
>>54654202
Fake news
>>
>>54654224
Are you retarded, high, or baiting? I really can't tell.
>>
So thematically what's the difference between a college of lore bard and a college of glamour bard? One is smarter but one is more mystical?
>>
I'm working on building my campaign out to some form of Spelljammery using a conversion I found, but I don't know anything about the SJ mythology.

I've been reading up, but I'm still trying to work a couple of things out -

>Faerûn in on Toril, which is a planet, within Realmspace, which is the Toril system.
>Realmspace is within the Prime Material Plane - which, in Spelljammer, is essentially everything, including phlogiston and crystal spheres.

This is all right, yes? Prime Material Plane seems to be used for a couple of things interchangeably depending on the setting.

Something I'm trying to work out is what's involved in each crystal sphere (and I can't find Realmspace/Toril on this map I found - http://nerik.orpheusweb.co.uk/files/Spelljammer/Flow_map_01-07-12.svg).

Considering it's hard enough trying to remember what's in each city on a continent (or fluffing it as you go), how do you keep track of cities on worlds in spheres across the entire phlogiston?

I'm excited but also daunted. Going to be giving the party a damaged smalljammer at some point to allow me to ease myself into things by giving them problems along the way, but not for a while yet.
>>
Anyone wanna help me flesh out my character's back story? She's a yuan-ti mystic. In her youth she suffered a particularly crushing rejection from snake Chad and turned to a life of collecting snakes. She now works as a librarian, as a 37 year old virgin crazy snake lady.

What other flavor can I give her around this theme? What's a good snake theme Chad name?
>>
>>54653851
Derping a bit. Finished Death House, got to level 3rd. Made a melee Valor Bard dragonborn. For no particular reason I decided to make him a grappler, expertise in Athletics, Enhance Ability spell, the whole schtick. Will I be okay in CoS?

For the record, our party is an Eldritch Knight human. a Battlemaster half-orc, a wood elf Ranger and a wood elf War Cleric.
>>
>>54654580
What's your DM/campaign view for Yuan-ti? Determining how evil (or at the very least petty) they are will go far for your character's need to get over/back at snake Chad.
>>
>>54654605
It's an evil campaign, all scaled folk (lizard, kobold, dragon born, yuan-ti pureblood. Also scaled tieflings)
>>
File: 1417233258718.jpg (2MB, 1850x1438px) Image search: [Google]
1417233258718.jpg
2MB, 1850x1438px
>>54654506
That map's not exactly canon. Realmspace is right in the middle, part of the radiant triangle. You can find reasonably accurate right ups of the canon spheres on spelljammer.org, or check the OSR thread to try and get the actual spelljammer books.

Prime material is all the crystal spheres and the phlogiston, yes.

There's no need to start off with a giant fucking map like that. Just start off with Toril and the tears of selune, maybe find a copy of The Rock of Bral and stick that in the tears somewhere.
>>
>>54654580
SSssssimon is a good snake chad name.
>>
A reminder that a Death Saving throw is a saving throw and thus is affected by Bless, Magic items, and Diamond Body.
>>
>>54654739
You're a star anon, many thanks.

I'm also planning to incorporate Sigil into all this, because apparently I have no sense of proportion for how much I can cram into one campaign. But I'm playing Planescape Torment for an idea on that.
>>
Why 5eg hates Bane? It's a decent spell.
>>
>>54654771
For you
>>
File: 1472314129269.jpg (639KB, 1104x737px) Image search: [Google]
1472314129269.jpg
639KB, 1104x737px
>>54654580
>What's a good snake theme Chad name

Chadder
>>
>>54654771
If the enemy makes their saving throws, would you die?
>>
>>54654842
It would be extremely baneful
>>
>>54654842
A lot of spells require a saving throw. It's a big list.
>>
>>54654750
Also Aura of Protection. Funny enough, the only ones who wouldn't get the bonus to death saving throws are the paladins themselves.

>>54654771
It's very good when you have several other casters throwing saving throws at the baned creature. The cleric in my party used to combo it with blindness/deafness and other spells from the bard. But most people seem to agree Bless is generally more useful and more guaranteed to work.
>>
>>54654601
Anybody?
>>
What kind of device or creature would a hag use to pluck someone's fingernails? Like for example, she could use stirges to drain some of their blood.
>>
>>54655089
What kind of hag? Where does the hag live?
>>
>>54655117
Green hag, lives in a misty forest.
>>
>>54653922
Spiked armor raging allows battleragers to do a bonus action attack at d4. That's equal to the other end attack of PAM..
>>
>>54655128
If you want to get sadistic, have her utilize some seed that, when planted, causes a violent growth that wilts not long after; but, the growth is enough to essentially pop off the nail.
>>
>>54655089
Bamboo/reed wedges were commonly used in Asia to rip off people's nails.
>>
Ok, two more questions: how much blood volume could a stirge hold? They're tiny (cat-sized?) and can drain up to 10 HP worth of blood.

And can you think of hag coven name (or hag surname) that rhymes with "water"?

>>54655146
I like that!
>>
What do you think of player-crafted DC mechanics, in which they can pick certain aspects of how difficult the task is going to be?
>>
>>54654771
Bane is a concentration spell that makes up to 3 targets have to make a charisma roll. Targets that fail the roll have to take a 1d4 penalty on attack or saving throw.

Assuming no/equal modifiers, it makes your party 12.5% more durable vs attacks and 12.5% more likely to be effective with cc (1d4 is ~2.5, or 0.125 of 1d20) against the three targets for up to one minute.

My problems with the spell, personally (having never taken it, admittedly):

1) short ranged for a concentration spell. If you get hit, there's a chance it stops working. You have to avoid getting hit for a while.

2) only works on three targets, additional spell levels have diminishing returns. Not great if you are getting swarmed, and some of the power budget is wasted vs 1-2 enemies only.

3) Does not work vs long range enemies, does not work vs spellcasters.

4) Because there's a saving throw right off the bat, there's a strong chance it only affects 1-2 enemies, and a slim chance of wasting a turn.

5) Worse against stronger/higher attack mod enemies, much better against weaker enemies. Good in early levels, worse as time goes on. Also, the priority targets are probably the targets that it protects against/weakens less effectively.
>>
>>54655248
Enough blood to kill two commoners, evidently.
>>
>>54655248
Daughter would probably be a good point to start from if you're looking for a hag coven name that rhymes with water. This is where setting kind of comes into play though with shit like "Orcus' Daughters" or whatever
>>
>>54655289
Do commoners have less blood than adventurers?
>>
>>54655308
They have 4 hp
>>
>>54655308
The answer: Do not use HP as any measurement of 'how much blood' someone has.
>>
>>54655331
>implying high-level adventurers aren't engorged to bursting with blood
>>
>>54655289
The damage from the bite alone is enough to kill a commoner 100% of the time
>>
>>54655292
Right! Daughter and grandmother would fit perfectly. This is for a riddle/nursery rhyme explaining how one would find the coven if one wanted a favor. I think I'll go with

"Find a still body of water
Any ol' pond will do
At night, look at yourself and call
Grandmother, grandmother, grandmother
And the passage will open for you"
>>
>>54655256
Doesn't the game already do that?
>"Hey, the guard is really prejudiced against your kind. Your Persuasion DC is 17."
>"I cast Charm Person."
>>
>>54655256
Isn't that always already a thing?

'I want to intimidate the king into giving me the throne'
'Okay DC 35 and even then he'll kick your ass again later'
'I want to intimidate the king into giving me a better reward'
'He's surrounded by guards you know well okay DC 25'

You don't need to tell them the extra DCs but considering it goes up in steps of 5 they should be able to guess by how you describe it.
>>
What will next week's UA be, I wonder?
>>
>>54655393
then they become hostile anyway
>>
>>54655436
Fingers crossed for revised artificer as a half-caster with mechanical servant moved to a subclass
>>
>>54655436
Food and Provisions
>>
Is there any way a deep stalker ranger could benefit from a dip into warlock?
>>
>>54655363
this bugs me but I don't wanna be anal about it
>>
>>54655440
I figure you'd use a disguise first, considering they won't be able to recognize you afterwards.
>>
>>54655436
"Greyhawk Initiative: Revised"
>>
We're about to dive into 5e's combat, anything we should be aware of?
>>
>>54655468
Hey, as long as it's criticism I can use to improve the rhyme, I'd be ok. English is not my native language anyway.
>>
>>54655523
Stab them with the pointy end.
>>
>>54655518
please no
>>
>>54655518
fuck you anon
>>
>>54655543
Thank you Captain Obvious.
>>
Thoughts?
>>
>>54655393
>>54655430
I'm elaborating on herbalism by adding optional and situational difficulty, like search speed, lighting, terrain and rarity, along with some variables like freshness, amount, dozens of properties, buffs, debuffs and types, and price modifiers, since there are three PCs with herbalim proficiency but they don't seem to pick any interest in it. I figured adding some optional difficult stuff that gives fair rewards in a crafting system could make them use this mechanic more often. They often run into situations that could often be resolved with a little spice in an already existing part of the rules.
>>
>>54655571
And I just realized I used "often" like 10 times.
>>
>>54655570
Well. It's pretty shit. How many situations have you not been able to jump 5 fucking feet? Seriously that's completely useless, plus it requires a DC10 Check with no Proficiency and is only once per short rest.

I'd remove the check and make it stretch into a bridge that can be 15ft. long and 5ft. wide once per short rest.
>>
>>54655570

When would you ever use this? What kind of place has gaps 5 feet wide that aren't trivial to walk across?
>>
>>54655499
renders the whole thing rather pointless in most cases
>>
>>54655570
I think it's worded a bit strangely. Here's what I'd write:

When you use an action to drape this handsome, black cape across a crevasse or gap that is no wider than 5 feet, make a DC 10 Charisma check. On a success, creatures other than the owner may walk across it as if it is solid ground. You can not use this ability again until you complete a short or long rest.

That aside, it's complete garbage. It doesn't solve any real problems, it's unnecessarily restrictive in its use, and why the fuck does it require attunement? I'd pay money to get rid of it if I came across it in my game.
>>
File: 1501214335993.gif (132KB, 500x600px) Image search: [Google]
1501214335993.gif
132KB, 500x600px
>>54654580
>>
File: Mercer Classes.png (5MB, 1816x2064px) Image search: [Google]
Mercer Classes.png
5MB, 1816x2064px
What do you guys think of the subclasses from the Tal'dorei Campaign Guide? Would you use any of them in your game?
>>
>>54655611
Wow, moron much? Sending off a guard on a task or getting them to simply get out of the way for 5 minutes is hardly pointless.
>>
>>54655571
5e wasn't meant for that level of minutiae. Besides, DCs are set with that stuff in mind already.
>>
File: 1501346803121.jpg (45KB, 564x900px) Image search: [Google]
1501346803121.jpg
45KB, 564x900px
Rate my GOO warlock, mates.
>>
>>54655660
A charm person spell probably isn't going to do that anyway.
>>
>>54655672
Regal Emo/10.
>>
After the initial cast of Find Familiar, does dismissing and summoning the familiar require any verbal or somatic components?
>>
>>54655525
Alright, so the BIGGEST problem isn't actually rhyming. The rhyme scheme (abcab) is unusual, but not bad. The problem is the rhythm is really off. The first two lines set up a particular rhythm of stressed and unstressed syllables.

"FIND a still BOdy of WATer / ANy ol' POND (.) will DO..."

The stressed syllables are in all caps, the (.) is a "silent" unstressed syllable. Which is basically Stressed-unstressed-unstressed, repeated. Sort of a dactyl.

Then the next line's stresses just collapse the rhythm. "At NIGHT, LOOK at your SELF and CALL..."
There isn't really a rhythm anymore. This is difficult for a non-native english speaker, since english rules for stresses in sentences are weird. The last two lines both follow the rhythm of the first two, for the most part, so it's really just that rhythm-killing middle line.

If you want to keep it five lines, here's a suggestion. Replace the third line with "At night, your reflection must answer" or something along those lines. It's more ambiguous, since one's reflection answering could mean a bunch of stuff, not just "say it while looking at your reflection".

I'd also replace grandmother with granddaughter, since water rhymes with daughter MUCH more than it does with mother, but it's not awful. Do and you still rhyme.

You could make it a quattrain, by cutting out the third line entirely and rephrasing the last line, but you'd probably lose some of the information.

Sorry for being nitpicky.
>>
>>54655692
I'd say no within the telepathy/spell sharing range but otherwise probly. Books seem unclear.
>>
Is Eldritch Blast+Agonizing Blast still the "right" way to play Warlocks in combat or is a melee build finally on par with it?

Hex Warrior only restricts weapons that have the two-handed property, so I was thinking of using a long sword with two hands and going with GFB or something at the early levels.
>>
>>54655671
Situational difficulty like terrain, pace and lighting sure, but I'd like to let my players exchange rarity, properties and types of herbs for increased DC on their own accord. Examples: they can go for a common berry that feeds one person with 10 DC, or that exotic and weird looking edible mushroom that was laying behind a big rock in a difficult to reach spot in a terribly lit cavern and will grant 30 ft. Darkvision for one hour with a DC of 30,.
>>
>>54655713
Oh, you could also make some kinda fancy abccab rhyme scheme, splitting the middle line into two shorter lines that have their own rhythm. Like, "At night, look inside/ and give out this cry" or something. Doesn't quite rhyme, but you get the idea. The stress pattern there is "unstressed STRESSED unstressed unstressed STRESSED", which is different from the others but since it's a couplet of it's own it just changes the rhythm for a bit instead of confusing it.
>>
>>54655742
Then you don't need a load of preset difficulties

Just,
'I want to look for food'
'Okay roll it'
or
'I want to look for really exotic fancy stuff that we couold also eat'
'Okay roll it'

And putting a big table down when there's not any time pressure will mean players can easily stockpile a load of shit unless you keep them on plot hooks all day long.
>>
>>54655917
That's how it is already, as per RAW, and they aren't using it. What's the point of having three hermits in a party if they are not gonna use their proficiency in herbalism? Either way, the idea here is to give them options during the campaign, not make a campaign about hoarding weed lmao.
>keep them on plot hooks all day long
No, I can just keep throwing encounters at them if they want to stockpile extremely hard to find herbs, which they won't, knowing my players.
>>
>>54656053
Your flaw here is thinking that making it more complicated will encourage them to use it.

Well, I don't know, maybe it will if it feels a bit less arbitrary.
>>
>>54655654
No. They're really underwhelming or just bad.
>>
>warlocks who have made pacts with devils cant actually summon fiends
>>
>>54653876
Rangers are memorable to me because they're pretty garbage. It's Monks I always forget about.
>>
How feasible is it to play as a character that is always disguised?
>>
>>54655713
>>54655743
I like your suggestion of "At night, your reflection must answer" and will probably use that, if I don't get manage to figure out a way to split the third verse into two rhyming verses.

The idea behind the "grandmother" verse is essentially the person is calling out to each of the three hags in the coven in a respectful manner. As much as I'd like to make "daughter" work, I don't see a way it would make sense.

Either way thanks! You've helped to make it a bit better, at the least.
>>
>>54656174
They have a low fiend credit score, already owing one big patron. Warlocks aren't the cream of the contractual crop here, they're the dredges that are already signed up. Not like those crafty wizards and things that you have to work to catch off guard.
>>
So is Ranger supposed to be the midpoint between a Fighter and a Rogue or is it supposed to be some other thing?
>>
>>54656221
Rangers are more like.... DruishFighteRogue. Traditionally they don't really do anything you couldn't get by throwing a heavy multiclass around.
>>
>>54656207
so they are basically slaves instead of instruments
>>
Playing through CoS for the first time, blind. We're level 7 and have successfully dropped the brats off it Krezk and have had recent dealings with dirty gypsies.

>in bed with Victor
>rest of the party is on the other side of town
>he screams
>I wake up
>Victor passes out
>resiliant sphere the first thing I see
>it's some beefed up wight
>grab Victor
>attack from creature blocked with shield
>leap out window and hit the ground running
>Strahd shows up
>bants between the two most charismatic creatures in the world
>Strahd casts Power Word Kill Light
>I counterspell
>more bants
>Strahd charges and whiffs a punch
>Victor knocked off back by original assailant's pew pew
>is dying
>cast Dimension Door
>get into Lucien's Church
>call for help
>lucky roll, Lucien gets initiative between Victor and I
>Lucien heals him a little and brings him back
>Strahd is waiting outside
>my familiar is off alerting the rest of the party

Not dead yet, think we may even be safe for the moment. We've beaten him up once and chased him off at the winery. Really enjoying the module so far.
>>
>>54656280
They wish they were pawns, at minion they'd maybe have some self respect.
>Warlock: I SUMMON THE BILLTHAZZGOLLETH
>B: Oh hey Dave, I mean... Chorloth the Mighty Holder of Pacts.
>Dave: Hey, I need you to fight this battle for me
>B: You mean that ONE CANTRIP you sold your immortal soul for isn't cutting it? Gee, I dunno if I can top that.
Fin

I have no idea why they have such a massive hardon for such a stupid class. They were pushing hard for it since before 4e I think, still doesn't have any value whatsoever.
>>
>>54656280
Well the mechanical reason is the same for why even the Undead themed Warlock can't get Animate Dead, Short Rest Summon/minion spells aren't exactly balanced.
>>
>>54656364
>I have no idea why they have such a massive hardon for such a stupid class. They were pushing hard for it since before 4e I think, still doesn't have any value whatsoever.
Because they wanted an edgy alternative to Clerics. Also it forces the retards who play it to have a background, even if it's the exact same background everytime.
>>
>>54656450
The edgy alternative to clerics is more clerics. Those evil cleric dicks with instant harm spells and tons of undead. The planar/god lore in every setting is some of the best shit and what do warlocks get? Nothing.
>>
If I were to use my perform skill as a bard with proficiency in both the skill and an instrument I'm playing, how would that be handled?
>>
>>54656426
uhh what?

the spells that summon fiends are higher than 5th level
>>
>>54656471
Apply proficiency bonus once.
>>
>>54656122
What would you do to make them better? Elaborate.
>>
Does Goodberry make a special kind of berry called a goodberry, or does it make a normal berry with goodberry magic?
>>
>>54656612
Originally it took berries as reagents then healing-spell'd them up. Now I guess it just conjures healing/filling spell'd berries.
>>
>>54656612
>Welcome to goodberry, home of the goodberry, can I take your order?
>>
>>54655322
>HP is directly proportional to blood volume
>10HP = 2.5 commoners, irl it takes about 2.5 liters to die of blood loss
>10HP = 6.25 liters of blood
>Level 20 Barbarian with 20 CON has about 230 HP
>143.75 liters of blood
>like half a bathtub full

Nice.
>>
>>54656722
some serious blood pressure keeping it all inside to begin with, chop off his head and it fires off like a rocket
>>
>>54656722
>>54656794
So.... How would someone go about making a setting where the more powerful people have more blood? I guess they'd also get bigger as they get stronger to hold it all? Or maybe biology is different and their bodies can just hold it all.
>>
>>54656833
Well even a passive non-HP-per-round measurement of regeneration exists in the adventurering tier. I imagine there's enough regen to counter some of the drain if you don't immediately kill them.
>>
>>54656833
Bloodborne.
>>
>>54656833
It all begins with a man who tied a string from his tooth to a bag of holding, swallowed it, and proceeded to chug down some blood.
>>
An Adult Red dragon has garnered my ire. If I could kill it I would, what can I as a level 4 rogue do to make it regret its actions? I was looking at poisons, but Legendary Resistance pretty much makes that a no go. Any suggestions?
>>
>>54656869
Make money and hire a stronger party to fuck it up.
>>
>>54656869
Acquire 50 level 1 wizards and cast magic missile a lot.
>>
>>54656833
Just disregard any notions of realism and physics and make them grow large as if it were Dark Souls. For extra fun make blood great multi-purpose fuel, and after every large scale battle dedicated blood collectors walk across the battlefield, sucking the blood out into a fuel tank for later use. The city streets are riddled with posters "Help the war effort, DONATE YOUR BLOOD TODAY!".
>>
>>54656869
Send the elements against him, send the local other organizations at him. Do incredibly silly things out of spite that require serious long term planning.

>Map dragon's lair and hire some construction guys to collapse it on top of it
>Mine beneath the hoard and empty it out heist style
>Add up minor curses & hexes from local B-list supernatural types, hags, druid circles, witch covens, etc.
>Frame him for crimes he didn't actually commit (even though its a goddamned dragon)
>>
>>54656876
>>54656878
>>54656901
I should note that this dragon is Themberchaud of Gracklstugh.
>>
>>54656967
I can't convey how little that sentence means to me.
>>
Bard Level 4 spells seem pretty restrictive. Not a lot of choices. I'm half considering just taking Shatter and only using my level 4 spell slot for Cure Wounds and shit.

Polymorph looks fun, but I can tell it was nerfed. Still, how is something like Compulsion ever worth it if on the same failed save turns the enemy into a sea horse?
>>
>>54656985
That's okay, I was mentioning it, in case anyone did and could make recommendations based on that knowledge.
>>
As a level 3 tempest cleric with STR and CON 15 and WIS 16 should I grab the ASI at level 4 or grab war caster?
>>
>>54656833
So.... How would someone go about making a setting where the more powerful people have more blood? I guess they'd also get bigger as they get stronger to hold it all? Or maybe biology is different and their bodies can just hold it all.

This was sort of how it worked in vampire the Masquerade. Vampire powers and spells need Vitae to use which had point cost in human blood. The older and more powerful with higher blood vampire was the could store more blood points.

>>54656879
God damn I want to play this setting now.
>>
>>54656626
Any berry? Because berry is a surprisingly broad category.
>>
>>54656994
Polymorphed foe will likely still be a nuisance and it can be undone wth relative ease by his allies. Compulsion induces AoOs which can really suck, and the damage stays.

It depends on the game you're playing but Dimension Door is amazing to have, and greater invis or freedom of movement can come very handy as well.
>>
>>54657051
How often do you use spells that require Concentration in combat? Clerics shouldn't have problem with spell foci.
>>
>>54657077
Its druids, they can pull berries out of anything. That is a gimme component compared to literally anything else.
>>
File: amu1.jpg (74KB, 600x257px) Image search: [Google]
amu1.jpg
74KB, 600x257px
>>54653992
I don't think that an archfey would bind people to a written contract like that. Fiends definitely would, but that sort of lawyer-style language seems odd to me coming from the fair folk.

Stealing from Kingdoms of Amalur, have the fey be bound to cyclical stories, legends that they keep acting and re-enacting out. If a person decides to adopt the mantle of a particular character within one of those stories, then they gain the power of that character but are also required to play that role, even when it's to their disadvantage. Roleplaying inside a roleplaying game.

So, if King Witchthorn is offering a pact in that situation, then he is explaining the role that the PC must adopt while remaining in character. Something like:

>Sing to me, o bards, for my spirit is troubled! Sing of heroes! Sing of the Dragonslayer, the hero who arrived when the land was threatened by the Nightmare In Green, who came to the court of the Forlorn Monarch in the hour of direst need!

>The Dragonslayer! Sworn servant the Monarch!
>The Dragonslayer! Made mighty by royal benediction!
>By artifice, by wisdom, by favour!

>Sing of the Dragonslayer, who fought the Nightmare and was victorious! Who departed in glory, swearing to serve the Monarch once more, in distant days.

And then you let the players either sheepishly go along with the script (which is fine, because it's a weird script and it should be), or jump into it with both feet. Most games I've played had at least one player who, in that situation, would have their character walk into the center of the room and say "I AM THE DRAGONSLAYER!".
>>
>>54657101
>>54657101
Bless and hold person have both proven to be excellent spells. Also being able to cast right and proper with my hands full is nice too. Currently I'm using a pole arm to be able to cast right and so I can attack from behind the front line fighters and maintain my spells.
>>
>>54657093
But the damage carries over? And sea horses can't move. I'm just imagining turning an enemy into a seahorse (1 hp, zero movement, no attacks) and then the Fighter creaming it with overkill.

But I guess that's using a level 4 spell just to give the fighter advantage on one attack that he probably already has.

It also turns off spellcasters, but they are more likely to make the save.

Yeah, I understand now. Right now, my DM's campaigns are such that I am not sold on DD or Freedom. As a Lore Bard, I took Fly and it has been completely useless. The environments are too often such that the extra movement doesn't help any.
>>
>>54656869
2 gallon container of acid ~32d6 damage, ~400gp

Scroll of Greater Invisibility

Scroll of Enlarge
>>
>>54657103
The berries aren't a material component, they're what's summoned. Can you summon:
Belladonna berries?
Cucumbers?
Watermelons?
Pumpkins?

They're all berries, botanically speaking.
>>
>>54657166
This sounds ridiculously feasible!
>>
>>54657164
>But the damage carries over?
They are granted new HP for whatever form they are polymorphed into. Sea Horse can't breathe above ground, so it suffocates after 1 turn and turns back into enemy. And any ally can just stomp it to return him into original form.

Also talking of comparisions note that Compulsion is AoE, polymorph is single target. Also in the end I think polymorph is much more useful cast on your allies rather than enemies.
>>
>>54657166
>>54657217
Sorry, 3 gallon container* Preferably 4.
>>
>>54657249
Thanks for this, I'll find a way to launch that much acid at it.
>>
>>54657201
> Up to ten berries appear in your hand

So, small enough that a handful is 10 of them.
>>
I know this is sort of an open-ended question but, how do you guys pick a class? I've got an upcoming game, and I just can't settle on a class to play. I keep getting ideas and switching.
>>
>>54657223
"If it reverts as a result of Dropping to 0 Hit Points, any excess damage carries over to its normal form. "

That's what I meant. It essentially makes the enemy have no armor, disadvantage and whatnot.

Not worth a spellslot though. I don't see how casting it on Allies could be useful, since they lose all their gear and since it has to be a CR that matches their level, it certainly is something with worse stats than they have with their gear.

That's what I'm seeing so far at least.
>>
>>54657296
or it could be a bunch of 10 bananas and you're holding where they meet.
>>
>>54657305
>I don't see how casting it on Allies could be useful, since they lose all their gear and since it has to be a CR that matches their level, it certainly is something with worse stats than they have with their gear.
No, you are literally wrong.

Turn the Fighter into a Gaint Ape for instance and now he has an extra 157 HP and is attacking for 6d10+12 each turn. I guess a PAM+GWM Fighter could be dealing similar damage but it would be much, much less likely to hit.
>>
>>54653992
>In the name of the Twilight Horizon and the Undying Tales, The Secret of the Morrow and Truth behind the will of Fey, We, King Witchthorn, ruler of the Shadow Glade, Patron of all those who Grow, Of the Gaggle and the Maledift, hereby declare in all our grace and power, to see fit the granting of the [legendary item] shard in our care to the signer in the auspice of the primal fey Bargain.

>>Our courteous blessing shall bound to he who forwards themselves to our service, and we shall know them by the vanquishing the Praticax, the foul wyrm.

And then, because Fey are tricky, SLAM THEM with the fine print at a later point where king witch thorn reveals that by slaying the dragon, the signatory has become Oath bound to him and has to come upon his service or risk getting some real harsh shit happen to him, that is of no control of the king, despite his enormous benefit
>>
>>54657305
Bad armor for 1 round, probably not worth it. As for allies, there are two main uses:
a) adventuring: need to get 1 person somewhere but you're too big, can't breathe underwater, can't resist acid pools, need to fly or whatever
b) combat: optimal use is probably transformation into T-rex at 8th level. 130 hitpoints and quite strong attacks for a 4th level spell, it's worth it. Shamelessly tanking damage is the main benefit of polymorph.
>>
>>54657302
I start with a concept and work up from there. What race I want to be, how they speak, act, think, and fight. When those are answered I'm usually left with 1-3 options for classes and I eventually settle on the one that I like the most. It's hard, but you can do it anon!
>>
>>54657302
This is typically how it goes for me.
Step 1. Open the Player's Handbook
Step 2. Turn to chapter 3
Step 3. Pick a fucking class
Step 4. There is no step 4

If you can't handle this, I think you have far greater personal issues with indecision you should probably address. You're not buying a house or proposing for marriage. It's a fucking D&D class. Pick one.
>>
>>54657305
>An appropriately equipped and well-rested party of four adventurers should be able to defeat a monster that has a challenge rating equal to its level without suffering any deaths.

So a creature of the same CR as a character's level is considered to be on about fighting level with 4 characters. Turning your allies into a creature is 99% of the time going to be incredibly powerful.
>>
>>54657404
>If you can't handle this, I think you have far greater personal issues with indecision you should probably address
Projecting much? You okay anon?
>>
File: 1499166139271.jpg (4MB, 2000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
1499166139271.jpg
4MB, 2000x3000px
>>54657302
>how do you guys pick a class?
With as much difficutly as you, Anon.

I have few favorites and try to choose one that suits the rest of the party and/or character concept from media i want to steal.
>>
>>54657302
I usually pick one that'd fill a role within the party. If I can't decide I try to practice the character in imaginary situations, and then I choose the one that comes more naturally. If that doesn't work, I roll some dice.
>>
>>54657201
Do the belladonna berries poison you while they're goodberry'd? Could the Assassin make use of belladonna berries the druid summoned?
>>
>>54657164
>As a Lore Bard, I took Fly
Oh Anon. Don't you know what an Instrument of the Bards is?
>>
>>54657302
>Pick elf
>Pick paladin
>Play paladin based on archetypes of another class along with character traits I decide on for that game
My group rolled their eyes when their eyes when I played a paladin in our second game presuming it was going to be more of the same from the first game. They've liked my shit over our last seven games. Only time I don't play one is when the characters are pregen.
>>
can the mystic nomad's memory of one thousand steps dodge a critical hit?
>>
>>54657296
>jump over enemy
>cast goodberry
>make 10 full sized pumpkins appear over him
>he gets crushed
Seems like a good strategy
>>
>>54657529
You can't dodge crits. Ever.
>>
>>54657575
Can't you? I mean, technically, natural 20 is autohit and critical, but can't you have avoidable critical, that isn't autohit? Like champion fighters do?

Obviously, this is useless rules-lawyering, but...
>>
>>54655654

I like the Barbarian.
>>
>>54657557
>full sized
Not "winning pumpkin at the state fair" sized?
>>
>>54655654
>Homebrew
incoming corefag
>>
>>54653851
>Were Barbarians a mistake?

The only mistake they made with Barbarians was not making the Frenzy path's exhaustion repeal on after a short rest.

Barbs also got the coolest UAs.
>>
>>54657302
Choose a verb. A primary and a secondary verb What is it you want to do?

Here are some examples:

Shoot
Blast
Support
Summon
Hit
Talk
Sneak

Come up with as many as you want to list, then pick a primary and a secondary from your list. Congratulations, you've decided on a class.
>>
>>54657361
>>54657377
>>54657417
Okay. I'll mess around with it then. My DM is bad though, so I'm not 100%. He said that the Glaive he gave the fighter wasn't intended to be gotten before level 10 and he allows for rolled stats, so people have super inflated numbers.

Plus, I wouldn't put it past him to interpret "keeps personality and alignment" as "starts fucking shit up, because personality and alignment doesn't mean they know who the enemy is any more."

Or specify that I probably have never met a dinosaur or giant ape so how can I turn them into that?

>>54657481
I think I got that this week, but he didn't refer to it by name and he replaced Fly with a different spell. I didn't know at the time.
>>
File: 2261lbs.jpg (234KB, 1484x1977px) Image search: [Google]
2261lbs.jpg
234KB, 1484x1977px
>>54657622
Yeah, 22,610 lbs of pumpkins seems like a decent way to crush someone.
>>
>>54657201
>>54657077
>>54656612
It makes a special kind of berry called a goodberry. Otherwise it would say "berries of a kind you choose" or something like that. Goodberries are small enough that even a small creature can comfortably hold ten of them in one hand.
>>
>>54657660
>Eating this whole pumpkin to restore 1hp
Good god...
>>
>>54657695
Well, it provides enough nourishment to sustain a creature for one day.
>>
>>54657657
>>54657361
I just checked with the fighter. He has +8 on the Glaive (two attacks per turn) and +10 on the hammer (third attack).

Glaive is 1d8 +5+1d4. For hammer it is 1d8+7.

Okay, I'm retarded. Turning him into an ape is better. What other core beasts are CR 7? Dinosaurs and giant apes are pretty exotic, so I doubt I'll get them. I see no other options.
>>
>>54656174
>>54656207
>>54656280
>>54656364
>>54656426
>>54656450
>>54656464
What do you think of giving Warlocks increasingly high drawbacks for increasingly high power?

>Warlocks can forgo gaining a new hit dice on level up and receive a single extra spell slot instead
>At each level up Patron offers Warlock a level appropriate quest
>Completion of quest yields a non-Warlock-standard spell according to the Patron
>>
>>54658145
Bait that DM into giving you dinosaurs, or a book on them or some shit.

Brontosaurus, gargantuan sized CR 5 beast, now cast enlarge.
>>
>>54658181
I like the idea, but
>At each level up Patron offers Warlock a level appropriate quest
Just means that the Warlock would be getting the spotlight every level. It would be a pain to stop the main quest in order to go do this, not to mention it would be annoying to incorporate it every level.
>>
>>54658232
True, true. I'm thinking about my table, which is a sandbox.

Think the hit dice/spell slot exchange could work well though. Turn Warlocks into the glass cannon of the caster bunch. Just needs a little something more to make it competitively powered after their slots stop levelling up.
>>
So, Warlocks have a spell list that goes up to 9th level, but their slots are only 5th at max, how does this work? Every other level it the availability increases ultimately accessing 9th level spells at 17?
>>
>>54658349
Mystic Arcanum.
>>
>>54658276
I've always figured that there has to be some sort of risk/reward for Warlocks. You're dealing with (typically) malicious powers, and as just a servant at that. Yes you should get some killer powers, but there also needs to be some form of detriment to balance it out.
>>
Give me some interesting villain ideas for a greek campaign.
>>
>>54658359
Ah, now it makes sense, thank you.
>>
I wish more of 3.5 binder was incorporated into the warlock class.
>>
>>54658403
The wise oracle is actually the villain, but knows of her defeat.
>>
>>54658403
Man is the pantheon of the gods who deal with the struggle of everyday life at the foot of Olympus.
>>
>>54657695
>Eating this whole pumpkin to restore 1hp
>In 6 seconds

You want your 1hp, don't you?
>>
>>54658403
Gods direct heroes on a quest to stop Prometheus from stealing the fire of the gods because it'll allow the humans to wage war against each other, kill each other, and throw themselves into chaos, but Prometheus wants it because it will provide a small flicker of warmth and light in the darkness of the night.

Both are villains, both are heroes.
>>
>>54658181
>a new hit dice
"Dice" = plural
"Die" = singular
I know a lot of /5eg/ doesn't speak English natively (especially at these hours) but this is a mistake I wish tabletop players made less.
>>
>>54654580
Okay i finished my character history. What do you guys think?

>Salamantha was an awkward child. A product of an overprotective parent after her siblings were killed in the last war with the softskins. Even at a young age most of her friends were snakes - they had no choice really, with her skill for animal friendship. As such she never really adjusted properly and her awkwardness followed her into puberty.

>A particularly devastating rejection from her teenage crush Chad Snakeson led her to withdraw into herself and spend more and more time with her snakes. Her favorite, and oldest, serpentine friend was a giant yellow constrictor named Snout. He was always there to give her extra tight hugs when she was feeling down. He would never tell her that she was the ugliest snake he'd ever seen.

>She wasn't totally without friends of the bipedal variety. The library was the last sanctum of the socially awkward and it was there she met Garter, a book snake after her own heart. They became fast friends, sharing all their favorite grimoires recommendations. They would grow up turning their past time to a job as they joined the scholarly order of librarians

>One day Salamantha was reading yet another dubious guide to spiritual self enlightenment, and something unexpected happened: it worked. In her mind something unlocked, and out poured a power similar, but mechanically different to magic. She was a snakewoman reborn, she was going to turn it all around!

cont
>>
>>54658745
>Six months later Salamantha was 50,000gp in the hole with gambling debts. It cost so much to keep her babies, her adopted stray snakes. Her apartment was a mess and her mother was hassling her to find a nice snakeman to settle down with. She came home and lay down with Snout, who wrapped around her and gave her a comforting, bonecrushing squeeze just like the old days. She smiled contendedly, stroking his scales when she noticed an envelope sticking from under the door. "The scaledfolk can use skills like yours. How would you like that debt wiped away? Come to XXXXXXX"

>Garter has agreed to feed her snakes while she's gone, but she still worries dearly about her babies. She's taken some of their favorite snacks with her to nibble on to remind her of them.

>She wears a brass mask most of the time, preferring not to show her face to any but her closest friends.
She has 33 babies, including Snout. Notable are: Noodle the cobra, Slinky the copperhead and Mr Pim the horned viper
>>
>>54658715
>Players go on a quest but they don't have fire
So obviously they don't know fire spells, but also they have no way of producing weapons and armor not made of stone, wood, or bone.
They're also shorter and weaker than typical humans/whatever race because they can't cook their food, which makes obtaining protein harder.
Not game-killers, but things to consider if you're going THAT far back in time.
>>
>>54658745
>booksnake
kek

Your story is shit but you already knew that.
>>
>>54658729
I'm a copywriter for a living and can identify a gerund at a hundred yards. I also know that "me and my friend went to the cinema" should be "My friend and I went to the cinema", but knowing isn't the same as applying.

Slang and convenience override the origins of language outside of formal documents, get over it. Especially on internet forums where you're lucky if you get full stops and coherent sentence structure.
>>
>>54658762
>he doesn't realise "fire" could be "the atom bomb" or anything between the two
>>
>>54658813
There's a difference between slang/loose grammar and using the plural for the singular. "Dice" is pretty much the only case where that happens, and I don't have to be a prescriptivist to view that as an error, especially when I know a lot of people are genuinely making a mistake when they use it.
>>
Why does /5eg/ have a hateboner for warlocks?

They're a blast to play.
>>
>>54658831
>He thinks using greentext will make his shitty argument stronger
I'll admit that I didn't think of the possibility of running an adventure that uses Prometheus as an allegory rather than the actual events, but you're still a douche.
>>
>>54658864
What are you doing off the bench?
>>
>>54658864
Because fa/tg/uys see a magical class and immediately try to compare it to the wizard without realizing the warlock is more similar to the rogue or monk (surgical and consistent in combat, reliable utility without a resource cost out of combat).
>>
>>54658846
"Agendum" is technically the singular of "agenda", but due to standard usage of "agenda" over many years, "agendas" is now the plural and "agenda" the singular.

Dice can be used in the singular in modern times. Check any dictionary - dice can be used for both singular and plural.
>>
File: Cc64N.jpg (57KB, 613x414px) Image search: [Google]
Cc64N.jpg
57KB, 613x414px
>>54658910
I was skeptical because I didn't think it was THAT widespread, but fuck me if you weren't right about dictionary definitions.
I am still unhappy about this, but I guess I don't have much grounds to complain on anymore.
>>
>>54658864
Would you say they're an eldritch blast to play?
>>
>>54658963
I've been considering homebrewing a new race.

Coincidentally, I'd like to know if there any homebrew saiyans out there. Can anyone guide me to one?
>>
>>54659030
Woosh
>>
Do you use 5e encumbrance rules, a homebrew version of encumbrance or do not care about it at all?
>>
>>54659150
Ignore aside from ridiculous amounts.
>>
>>54659150
As long as players aren't carrying 8 weapons and 2 spare suit of armor, I don't really care. Even then, I might let the guy with 22 strength do it.
It's just not really worth the brainpower.
>>
didn't there used to be a mega link in these threads?
>>
>>54659262
You're imagining things.
>>
>>54659150
During usual adventuring day I don't care, but when a border case happens I use common sense based on STR score (high can carry a lot, low can't).
>>
>>54659262
Anon... I don't know how to tell you this, but... the mega link was killed in an accident 12 years ago...
>>
>>54659284
Gimme a hint.
>>
>>54659262
If you are too dumb to find the mega on /tg/ you don't deserve it
>>
>>54657606
I don't think champion fighters expanded crit rolls are avoidable either unless there's some errata on the subject
>>
>>54659332
There actually was one, but it ended up getting taken down multiple times and hasn't been remade yet.
>>
What happened to the /tg/ character sheets that used to be in the trove?
>>
>>54654159
>thieves guild
Or you can just call them gangs, like every one that's not a retarded bottom feeder fantasy author does.
>>
>>54658572

And it's not some "I can change the future and win!" thing. Lean into Greek Theatre and have the villainous oracle play out their fate like an actor in a play, reciting lines, performing scenes, committing crimes and atrocities wherever the script says they should. They glam it up, very theatrical, but they take no actual joy in it. They're horrified, in fact, and feel cursed to be such a villain.

But that is the part for which she was cast.
>>
File: 9c55080b7a40cd1be6b59ca5d4fdeed5.jpg (178KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
9c55080b7a40cd1be6b59ca5d4fdeed5.jpg
178KB, 640x1136px
How do i create a memorable villain for a campaign? Any tips or links would help
>>
>>54659417
https://www.orcpub2.com/
Try this. You might like it.
>>
How do I make overland travel and random encounters interesting and engaging without distracting too much from the main quest?
>>
>>54659497
Read good books that are not fantasy. I'm basing my next BBEG/PC on Charlie Marshall from The Honourable Schoolboy.
>>
>>54659150

Usually i won't mind it within reason but I'm running a campaign right now with an emphasis on survival, so all resources are scarce. Carrying capacity and ammo are enforced.

Basically, remember Rule Zero and know that it depends on the kind of game you want to run.
>>
File: mrglass.png (338KB, 551x354px) Image search: [Google]
mrglass.png
338KB, 551x354px
>>54659496
pic somewhat related
>>
>your on an edge
>an effect pushes you 5 feet over

what exactly happens here? do you just die?
if you can feasibly grab the edge or grab something do you get a dex save?
>>
File: qSKSeu0[1].png (906KB, 1600x848px) Image search: [Google]
qSKSeu0[1].png
906KB, 1600x848px
Does 5e still have the rules where you deal double damage on a charge and quadruple damage if charging from horseback using a mount? I'm a 3.5e veteran making the jump to 5e and I can't find rules relating to lance combat anywhere in the PHB. The only rule I can find is that lances are twohanded when you're on foot and give you disadvantage when trying to attack within 5 feet. That makes lances really shitty weapons if they don't give you any unique advantages.
>>
>>54659497

The easy, quick, convenient way is to borrow villains from other media. Darth Vader as an oathbreaker paladin leading an army of damned soldiers to take over the kingdom. Dr. Frankenstein as a mad artificer with a workshop of abominable constructs. Walter White as the unsuspecting criminal kingpin who is maintaining control of his empire by any means necessary.

The harder way is to start with three questions: motivation, mindset, and method. What does your villain want? What are they willing to do to get it? (and this third question should contain the methods that would make him a "villain" to your players). These questions will inevitably lead you to other questions. How did they come to want this thing they want? Is there anything else that would satisfy them? Do they condone their own methods, or are they remorseful? Why has their want enraptured them so much that it's driven them to villainy? How did they get to this point? What can stop them? What happens if they can't be stopped?

And from there you can design a villain. But before everything else, you ought to keep in mind the tone of the adventure you're running, and write a villain that suits it. You don't want to cram a tragic, morally complex villian whose actions may be justified in a quirky, cartoon-like heroic romp. Similarly, if your players are interested in a very character-heavy, dramatic story, then don't disappoint them with something simple like Swiper the Fox.
>>
>>54659660
If you were pushed you should have already had an opportunity to save against that. I'd probably give a check to try to grab the edge though.
>>
>>54659660

I'd rule a DEX save, yeah, maybe DC 20. Roll 10-19 and you manage to grab the edge and are hanging, so long as you hsd a free hand. Roll less and, well, you're falling.
>>
>>54659660
What >>54659699 said, but also, don't fight near bottomless pits if you're worried about this happening.
>>
>>54659417
Check the pastebin.
>>
>>54659684
Lances don't get any special bonuses, but while on horseback, they are a one-handed weapon that deals 1d12.
So basically, they're not the magic they used to be, but while mounted you still absolutely want to use them.

>>54659660
>>54658910
Can I still complain about "your"? :/
>>
>>54659684

If I recall, the only "charge" bonus you get is if you have the Charger feat, and that applies whether you're mounted or not. However, a lance deals heavy damage for a one-handed reach weapon-if you're going to be mounted for most of your fights, it's a solid choice of armament.
>>
>>54659745
That's a shame, especially because I want to design a military-based campaign where human knights should wreck face. I guess being able to deal 1d12 damage and use a shield at the same time is nothing to sneeze at though.

And what about charge rules, are they still a thing? Or are charges simply not something that exist anymore?
>>
>>54659684
>Does 5e still have the rules where you deal double damage on a charge and quadruple damage if charging from horseback using a mount?
No. But lances do 1d12 damage on a one handed reach weapon, allowing the use of a shield and the Dueling fighting style. The Mounted Combatant feat gives you advantage on targets smaller than your mount.
>>
File: Goblins.png (391KB, 397x495px) Image search: [Google]
Goblins.png
391KB, 397x495px
Does anyone think it's bad that goblins have a trait that's useless if you play a goblin rogue? Nimble Escape is just a worse version of Cunning Action.
>>
Can pact of the blade warlocks summon weapons other than their ritual pact weapon that they bound when they get one?
>>
>>54659845
>You can choose the form that this melee weapon takes each time you create it (see chapter 5 for weapon options).
>>
>>54659841
No, do you think it's bad that Mountain Dwarves have a trait that is useless if you play a Dwarf Fighter/Cleric/Paladin/Ranger/Barbarian/Druid?
>>
>>54659881
>do you think it's bad that Mountain Dwarves have a trait that is useless if you play a Dwarf Fighter/Cleric/Paladin/Ranger/Barbarian/Druid?
Yes
>>
>>54659881
I like how Elf Rogues can use longbows, even though the trait is useless on anything that gets martial weapons
>>
>>54659881
That one seems interesting to me, because it's paired with a +2 strength, so they present an interesting choice; both strong traits that can't be used by the same character except in very rare situations. If they were both good traits for Fighters I think Dwarf Fighter would feel like an objectively correct choice, which is not something that the game wants.

The Goblin stats on the other hand... Nimble Escape is a core trait, with no option to sub it out for anything and therefore no interesting choice. If the rest of the Goblin traits offered something irresistible to a Rogue, then I'd think they were doing something similar to what they've done with the Mountain Dwarf, but without that trait Goblin is a very weak choice. Goblin's a great choice for a sneaky, non-Rogue character. It's a boring choice for a Rogue. That seems odd to me, given that they're not a common civilized race and the only thing weirder than a Goblin hanging around a group of humans is a Goblin Wizard hanging around them.
>>
My GM wants to give my wizard a homebrewed version of Vampiric Touch that has a 60ft range and doesn't need concentration. That is about the only real change to the spell.

The warlock is getting an item that lets her spend 2 hours to copy a spell into a wand that she can cast once per long rest with no spell slot cost. The spell can be replaced per the warlocks whims.

Am I getting the shit end of the stick?
>>
>>54659978
So you can attack every round as a bonus action dealing 3d6 damage and healing yourself from a safe distance, and you're otherwise free to act as normal. Your GM seems pretty generous.
>>
>>54659841
I actually think it's fine, because their other traits synergize with being a rogue very, very well.

>>54659881
>>54659957
Same situation - one feature becomes useless, but the others are extra useful so it's an acceptable tradeoff. It's not like anybody avoids playing mountain dwarf fighters.
>>
>>54659841

Goblin martials are fuckin great being able to disengage at will.
>>
My group uses paper maps. Should I even bother with implementing Fog of War and covering up the map with blank paper, revealing as they explore? Do you find that not using Fog of War makes the game noticeably different or is it unnecessary?
>>
>>54653851
Smash a table over your weak foe!
Headbutt everyone!
Break everyone's ankles with crowbars!
Simon Belmont everyone with a whip!
Tank like a crazy person on roids!
Break everyone with everything in the room!

Why do people dislike this class again?
>>
>>54654181
Bard
>>
>>54660067

For real-life maps, it's generally more inconvenient than useful. A lot of online tools have ways to make it work, though.
>>
>>54660087
Isn't UA bard still kind of shit? Not weak really just shit.
>>
What's a good one-off idea that involves the Cult of the Eternal Flame from PotA/EE? Something that shows their cult influences and their motivations, etc.

I'm considering that the cult has rallied up a bunch of outcasts, bandits, barbarians etc. (or possibly a village instead) and is sending them to burn down a small village, but I don't really know how to build upon that.
>>
>>54660080

Can't you do all that with most martials using Tavern Brawler?
>>
>>54660134
These guys do more damage than they would be able to do.
>>
>>54653876
I liked ranger as a fighter subclass back in AD&D, after the Lord of the Rings movies it all went to shit with the whole archer/dual wield archetype.
>>
>>54660053
>their other traits synergize with being a rogue very, very well.
Do they, though? They've got +2Dex and Darkvision, both excellent but neither exclusive, and beyond that they've got a damage buff that starts tiny and stays tiny throughout your career and a +1Con to offer Rogues. Not a lot to offer when compared to Elves, Humans and Halflings.
>>
>>54660080
Because it's the definition of reddit lolrandumb trash.
>>
>>54660063
Strongly agree, it's just weird to me that the least effective Goblin class is the Rogue.
>>
>>54660134
Basically. It's just a pointless mashup of Barbs and Monks.
>>
>>54660168
Not an argument
>>
File: 1333443574166.jpg (95KB, 850x478px) Image search: [Google]
1333443574166.jpg
95KB, 850x478px
Are grab always physical? Would it be ok to use a spellcasting mod instead of a athletics check?
Also, and what CR creatures start to have multiple grapples?
>>
>>54660168
Simply speaking it's just a boxer.
>>54660179
Barbs/Monks don't flow in the game like these guys do. You're having to juggle too many ability scores all at once to make it work
Tavern Brawler gives you 1d4 for unarmed strikes while pugilist gives a 1d6 and scales up to a 1d12.
>>
>>54660201

Grapples are always physical, yes, please stop trying to kill the Strength stat, arrive nobody plays with encumbrance rules, it's already weak.

Only spells that explicitly restrain a target can "grapple" them. I suppose Mage Hand could grapple a creature that weighed less than 10 pounds.
>>
>>54660201
1. Spells that restrain or immobilize exist, but they work differently and on a spell-by-spell basis. Compare Entangle, Hold Person, Evard's Black Tentacles, and Bigby's Hand.

2. A grab can be substituted for an attack, so monsters that have multiattack can grab twice instead of attacking twice if they want. There are also lots of monsters that grab automatically if they hit with one of their attacks.
>>
>>54660174
>the least effective Goblin class is the Rogue.
You're massively exaggerating.
The stat bonuses are literally the best possible stat bonuses for a combat-focused rogue. Darkvision is always useful for sneaky types. And Fury of the Small can actually be decently effective if you're trying to murder someone.
Is it as good as halfling or elf? No, of course not. But it's far from the garbage you're portraying it as.
>>
>>54657500
>plays an elf paladin
>seven games in a row

holy shit anon this is some next level autism
>>
File: Kenku-5e.png (281KB, 377x480px) Image search: [Google]
Kenku-5e.png
281KB, 377x480px
I've been thinking, but isn't it impossible or really hard to play a Kenku caster?
I mean all spells with a voice component you can't cast unless you've heard them before, which you can say you've heard them before if we're talking about starting spells, but as you level up and supposedly gain more, what then?
For a Warlock though, maybe you can imitate the words spoken by your patron, so when you cast a spell you'll always do it in a soothing voice, demonic gargle or unintelligible spooky garbage.
>>
>>54660253
Nimble Escape is redundant on a goblin rogue, which makes it feel really underpowered, even if it's not that bad.
>>
>>54660080
Because a boxer is a retarded adventurer archetype, and also you can already accomplish it as a fighter or a barbarian. At best, this needed to be an archetype (for fighter or barbarian), not a fully-fledged class, ESPECIALLY considering over half the class features are literally just copies of the monk. Except with more unarmed damage, for some reason.
>>
>>54660254
He's got 2 archetypes left to try, god speed Palanon.
>>
>>54660080
The concept just doesn't justify all the mechanics to me. Tavern brawler on a barbarian is basically all that really needs. Past that it's just pointlessly stepping on the monk's toes just because you wanted to raise the strength stat instead of dex
>>
>>54660263
Nothing about kenku makes sense anyway, so ask your DM. He's likely to rule that you've heard the verbal components even for spells you haven't cast yet - the hard part is memorizing the mental patterns that provide the potential energy and make the verbal component do anything. Either that or it's Baldur's Gate rules where every school of magic uses exactly the same verbal component for all its spells.
>>
>>54660067
Let me tell you two tales.

My GM was running a darkened section of the dungeon. It was supernatural darkness, so we could only see through it thanks to a single magical light source we had. He had the map pre-drawn, and he had a big sheet of black paper with a circle cut out of it that he moved with the light source and revealed the twisting corridors and dead ends. We all stayed as close as we could to each other, juggling the light source between us, fighting enemies from unpredictable directions that were lurking in the darkness. The rest of the dungeon was normal, we could see an entire room as we entered it.

My GM was running a dungeon with a large, dark final chamber. He stopped for at least 20 minutes to draw this thing out, while we made conversation with ourselves and were repeatedly told not to look at the map. After it was finished, he gradually unfolded the map to reveal parts of the room based on the way we were moving, but we were free to move around as we saw fit, not locked into turn-based movement, and we all had different sight ranges thanks to the old Darkvision/Low-Light Vision rules. Eventually the single monster in the area revealed itself and attacked us, we beat it, and the GM revealed the rest of the large, mostly empty cave. I think even he was bored of it at that point.

Two different GMs, same rule system, very different approaches to GMing. I could itemise a list of points here, but basically be the first guy, not the second; this post is long enough already.
>>
>>54659060
homebrew me a playable centaur race and I'll slob your knob
>>
>>54660265
Elf Weapon Training is redundant on a ranger. Dwarvem Armor Training is redundant on a fighter or paladin. All these combinations are still very potent.
>>
>>54660217
I never once implied that multiclassing the two was a good idea. If you want to punch a motherfucker, play a monk. If you want to punch a motherfucker with a big strong man, play a Barbarian/Fighter and ask your DM for some caestus/brass knuckles whatever the fuck. You don't need an entirely new class for this shit. Figure it out.
>>
>>54659787
If you have the knights take certain feats such as Mounted Combatant and Charger, you'll be able to do some pretty handy stuff. You've got 1d12 reach on a 20 AC platform.

Let's say that you let the Charger feat key off of the Dash action of your mount. That gives you a whole shit ton of damage that can be executed in a "drive-by" since you can just make a hard turn after you finish your attack and you never enter most enemies' reach.
>>
>>54660217

The idea of a boxer being able to pose a threat to someone fully armed is just stupid. Monks get away with it because they're mystical and exotic, and even then I'm not really a fan of them.
>>
>>54660293
Man, I'd forgotten that first GM. He was actually really good, especially given that I was still in my dickhead phase while he knew me.

He also did a thing where rather than having a GM screen, he had a d20 in one of those little tubs you'd get tacks in. He taped up the sides and held it upside down, and if he had to roll in secret he'd just shake the thing; no one could see the result but him.
>>
>>54660333
Elf Weapon Training and Dwarven Armor Training are ribbons, because practically no class that wants to use those items lacks proficiency with them (a wizard might want medium armor, but that wizard would never want to be a dwarf.) They never matter. Nimble Escape is a much more useful ability that matters much more often.
>>
>>54653992
I feel like the Fey would use a verbal agreement sealed with a handshake, or other ritual, rather than literally signing a contract. If it's a standardized thing, then they could find papers where it's been researched and detailed out, but the Fey themselves probably just expect you to know the rules unless you ask.
>>
>>54660309
https://dnd-5e-homebrew.tumblr.com/post/158829295462/centaur-of-pantheon-race-by-the-magic-sword
>>
>>54660340
>You don't need an entirely new class for this shit. Figure it out.
No! I demand an entirely new class for every tiny variation in playstyle, even if it can already be approximated with an existing combination of backgrounds/classes/feats!
Cavalier class when?

>>54660357
You're playing a FANTASY game, anon. Boxing, grappling, and improvised weapons should all be equivalent to greataxes, because otherwise you're not letting people play out their FANTASIES.
>>
>>54660386

No, that's dumb and gay. Why were weapons even invented if punches are just as good?
>>
>>54660292
I'm sure the DM will have no problem with letting me cast spells anyway, it was just food for thought.
Although a Kenku Warlock with Old God Pact seems like it would be a fun roleplaying experience.
>>
>>54660399
Because people didn't want to put in the years required to become a master of your own body and environment and instead opted for cheap solutions like swords that you can just pick up and threaten people with.
You'd note that in Asia people still use martial arts in battle, because they have more dedication than Westerners. That also translates to a better work ethic, by the way, which is why their economies are booming.
>>
>>54660309
Let's see, what does a centaur need...

They have to be big and fast. They have to be good at charging enemies. Maybe they could be Large without using Large weapons (which is handy, because 5e doesn't have those).

Lets go with Variant Human as a base and say:
+2 Con, +1 Str/Wis
Proficient in Survival (these dudes do not live indoors)
Able to Dash as a bonus action.

That's a first draft, and it needs a lot of reference to the rules for large creatures in small spaces, but it's a start.
>>
>>54660382
>Default +2 WIS
>Not +2 STR

It's half fuckin horse.
>>
>>54660386
>>54660399
He's meming anon, that isn't hard to see.
>>
>>54660424
Its strength isn't in its arms, though. Being a horse doesn't let you swing an axe harder and faster.
I like what >>54660421 said - they're large, but they handle items like they're medium. They'd still have a higher carrying capacity, but they shouldn't hit harder than humans necessarily.
>>
>>54660430

I don't need to convince him, I need to convince all the other people who might be reading who unironically like that class.
>>
>>54660430
If I'm meming, how do you explain >>54660420?
People who can't spot sarcasm deserve to be drowned in it.
>>
>>54660360
That's completely untrue, especially for mountain dwarf's medium? armor proficiency which is fucking nuts and everyone being able to grab a longbow instead of some other shittier exact downgrade on elves. For characters without ANY building in the martial direction they're direct upgrades to simple/light that is default.
>>
File: unknown[1].png (317KB, 425x489px) Image search: [Google]
unknown[1].png
317KB, 425x489px
>>54660421
>Large weapons (which is handy, because 5e doesn't have those).

wrong
>>
>>54660444
"All the other people" is a pretty generous statement. Just how many people want to be a horse-man, but rather than just making an obvious stat block in line with some other race turn to some random homebrew?
>>
>>54660357
Unarmed martial arts is only a thing because of the idea of monks being heroes of the peasantry, fighting against oppressive governments who have banned real weapons and armor. It's the same reason why martial arts uses so many weapons descended from farming tools. In a D&D world where every free adventurer has unlimited access to weapons and armor, unarmed monks should not exist.
>>
>>54660483
>"All the other people" is a pretty generous statement.

why does the homebrew exist then? One guy made it so he could play it himself? How did it end up posted here?
>>
>>54660502
Just how many games have you personally been in that use some random dude's homebew? For the vast majority of character option ones they absolutely exist for the creator themselves
>>
>>54660263
>write out the syllables phonetically on different scrolls

>avah
>daka
>dabah
>rah

>give them to party members or friendly NPCS and ask them to read them out loud

>cast the spell and sound like a crazy remix of all their voices

>AvAduhKADAbaRa
>>
>>54660464
Nobody would ever play a mountain dwarf as a member of a class that wants medium armor but doesn't normally get it. Every Str-based class either gets it already or doesn't want it.

A wood elf rogue would get a slight upgrade in being able to use a longbow instead of a shortbow, and yeah, that's something to consider when making a wood elf ranger: one of their racial abilities will be completely redundant, and maybe that won't be fun for you.
>>
>>54660516

I've actually seen a lot of players try to bring in homebrew bullshit, but luckily most of the groups I've been in are happy to disabuse them of the notion that any of it is any good.
>>
>>54653851
>>54653888
what this guy says make it a fighter archetype and call it berzerker
>>
How do I run opposing factions in a city? Preferably with some resource trackibg and gathering.
>>
File: PunchingMan.png (64KB, 711x798px) Image search: [Google]
PunchingMan.png
64KB, 711x798px
>>54660080
At least post the original document instead of a shitty ripoff, anon.
>>
>>54660472
>big monsters
>monsters
>>
>>54660531

what about a dwarf cleric that doesn't normally get martial weapons and can now wield a warhammer
>>
>>54660531
Yeah but it's not an upgrade for STR based classes, just every other class (including some STR based classes). If you're aiming for a race/class combo your best bet will almost universally be variant human or something with the +2's you need. Dwarf/elf racials are great for upgrading the other classes without primary focus on martials/archery but where it is still a direct upgrade. Bards and whatever else might be hybrid-y are key there.
>>
>>54660421
>>54660441
Just give it Powerful Build instead of the Large size, that should be fine enough.

I swear if 10-foot-footprint anon shows up I'll start c0reposting
>>
>>54660591

did you not see the last paragraph?
>>
>>54660555
This sounds like a game of Lords of Waterdeep that you want to play with yourself while the players just watch. Don't make up a whole set of rules for actions that involve multiple NPCs scheming against each other because that's a huge waste of time for you and especially for your players. Just decide how the political situation will play itself out if the PCs do nothing, and then use some imagination and improv to decide how the PCs' actions change that when they tell you what they want to do.
>>
>>54660591
Still fine rules for PC size rules. It's implicit in the general weapon tables too.
>Short sword 1d6
>+1 size class
>Greatsword 2d6

>handaxe 1d6
>+1 size
>greataxe 1d12

>club 1d4
>+1 size
>greatclub 1d8
>>
>>54660592
A cleric who doesn't get martial weapons is a spellcaster-ey cleric whose domain involves casting spells rather than swinging weapons. Such a cleric probably gets Potent Cantrip instead of Divine Strike, for example. But even a War cleric shouldn't be worrying too much about raw damage anyway because that's not his fucking job.
>>
>>54660661
Everything is the cleric's job. They're frontline casters who happen to carry weapons (plus massive buff spells)
>>
>>54660660
I like how you just ignored by that logic that a greataxe should be 2d6 and a greatclub should be 2d4.
>>
>>54660675
>Everything is the cleric's job
No, ANYTHING is the cleric's job. They can't do everything AT ONCE, but they are very flexible.
>>
What does /5eg/ think of the passive-aggressive cunt who projects his insecurities and problems onto people in his replies to everyone who tries to start a legitimate discussion about something in the game?
>>
>>54660696
Can't bitch about legacy baggage in D&D. Shit's like 2d6 is ancient.
>>
>>54660675
Buff spells are always best when used on someone else, someone who isn't concentrating on the spells and therefore can take damage without any chance of losing the spell. When the party is all vertical and the cleric doesn't have to do any healing, that cleric should still stay in the middle while casting ranged spells like Sacred Flame, just so he'll be in position even if the furthest-away player needs him next turn. This is doubly true for a dwarf cleric with a slow-ass movement speed, and it's triply true for a cleric whose domain doesn't include Divine Strike and therefore can't do nearly as much damage with weapons as he can with cantrips.
>>
>>54660706
>Believing that other players will ever do any job right
>Cleric is credit to team and does everything solo
>>54660745
>Ranged spells
>not just buffing twice(+) and pummeling
>>
>>54660766
>>Believing that other players will ever do any job right
You're right, that's not a support player's mindset. (Mercy player BTW)
>>
>>54660719
I'll be honest, man, you seem a bit passive aggressive right now.
>>
>>54660811
:^)
>>
>>54660243
>2. A grab can be substituted for an attack, so monsters that have multiattack can grab twice instead of attacking twice if they want

No they can't.
>>
>>54655654
Barbarian is even more boring than Champion Fighter, Blood mage as a cleric is retarded, Runechild is overly complicated (just allow "runes" to work as sorcery points directly) and weak until level 18, where it becomes BROKEN AS FUCK, and cobalt soul is dumb. But then, so are all wuxia classes in a western game.
>>
>>54660766
Enjoy pummeling with your ONE attack, especially if you didn't take one of the domains that lets your weapon attack damage scale like your cantrips. And since the original argument was about whether Dwarven Weapon Training is a ribbon, that means you probably did not take a domain with Divine Strike because most of those come with martial weapon proficiency.
>>
>>54660820
Why not? It would be extremely odd if that hobgoblin couldn't grab someone just because it isn't listed in his character sheet. It's not listed that he can stand up, either; does that mean he's stuck down there forever if I push him over?
>>
>>54655721
Melee COULD work if you're allowed to use UA invocations.

I theorycrafted a bladelock with thirsting blade (2 attacks), improved pact weapon (+1 to hit and damage) and one whose name I forget but did +5 necrotic damage with her maxed charisma.

She two-handed a battleaxe and had 14 STR so it was +6 to hit,(1d10+2+5)*2. Combined with other invocations and Eldritch Smite (6d8 force by burning a spell slot) that wasn't bad.
>>
>>54657657
Talk to your DM to change your magical secret instead
>>
>>54660827
1 attack is plenty when your heals are on cruise control and you're invincible.
>>
>>54660844
Multiattack is a subset of the Attack action. You can either Grapple once or use Multiattack. Otherwise you run into stupid shit like "well he has three multi attacks so i guess he can grapple three times."
>>
>>54660844
If you can make multiple attacks with ATTACK action, you can do multiple grapple attempts. Monsters do MULTIATTACK which strictly specifies what attacks it performs and grapple would be included if it was intended.

Short answer: System wasn't balanced with that in mind.
>>
>>54660254
Look man, I like lawbringers and I really fucking love elves.
>>54660277
Thanks my dude.
>>
>>54660973
Why is that any stupider than "well, my fighter has three attacks so I guess he tries to grab you three times"?
>>
>>54661031
Because this edition ends at level 10 you pussy eating fuckboi.
>>
>>54660531
Mountain dwarves are great for sorcerers and wizards.
>>
>>54661097
>no bonus to spellcasting ability
>can't move
>bunch of ribbons
>"but hey, my AC is one point better than if I just cast Mage Armor, two points if I waste a feat."
Sure, sure
>>
>>54660977
>play paladin based on archetypes for another class

why the fuck don't you just play the other class then?
play a fighter and flavor it as a knight with a hard on for justice, or play a ranger or rogue and flavor it as a vigilante. Fuck, you could even play a War Cleric and flavor him as a paladin!

also
>I really fucking love elves

we already knew you were autistic anon, you didn't have to confirm it for us
>>
>>54661097
>>54661147
Non-valor bards, clerics (for weapon profs w/o shillelagh), warlocks probly.
>>
>>54654771
I feel I have to point out that it's a really rare effect to make saving throws harder and (effectively) increasing the party's AC can have a more profound effect than increased to hit.

>>54654833
This name really must be used.

>>54655430
>DCs but considering it goes up in steps of 5
You all do know those are just examples? DCs can be any number. It can be DC 19, or 22, or 13.

>>54655570
Customarily, magic items recharge with time or other circumstances. They do not take rests.
>>54655601
>>54655602
>>54655618
I'd give it the ability to stretch out a temporary bridge across any gap, crevasse, chasm, puddle, pond, river, stream, etc that the wearer just crossed. The path is solid, clean ground, and the cape returns to normal size, crisp, clean, and dry afterwards. It lasts up to a minute and can be ended early by lifting the cape and shaking it out as an action. It can even be used to cross dangerous materials like acid or lava but the cape may be destroyed. It has (AC X, HP Y) while in use and if reduced to 0 hp it snaps back into place, unable to be used again until it's cleaned and mended.

I put too much effort into that shit.

>>54656202
Could use different names, based on each hag being a little different, like "grandmother, wise matron, sea's daughter"
>>
>>54661097
They're okay for them, but they mostly just save a casting of mage armor while not getting a boost to their casting stat. I've thought about giving them heavy armor proficiency as well
>>
I'm drawing a blank: Is there a better version of Bless? Something that gives better bonuses to hit on attack rolls and/or saving throws than a d4?
>>
>>54661174
Mountain dwarves don't get bonuses to any of those classes' spellcasting abilities. (Hill dwarves do make passable clerics, though, because of the Wisdom and extra HP.)

And I'll say it again, bards and clerics who don't already get martial weapon proficiency should not be swinging weapons of any kind! The subclasses that help them use weapons are also the subclasses that give them proficiency in the kinds of weapons they'd want to use. Even then, their cantrips are better, not to mention their spells of 1st level and up.
>>
>>54661234
Bardic Inspiration.
>>
>>54661147
>>no bonus to spellcasting ability
>>"but hey, my AC is one point better than if I just cast Mage Armor, two points if I waste a feat."
You realize that to have that kind of AC the spellcaster needs a high DEX, right? Mountain dwarfs are the least MAD casters, even if it takes them a bit longer to hit 20 in their casting stat.

>>54661234
Bless is a fucking insane spell, anon. Anything better than it would break the game completely.
>>
>>54661234
Bardic inspiration? Portent? Plenty of things can grant advantage on attacks, like Faerie Fire and Guiding Bolt.
>>
File: AngryAboutElves.png (387KB, 358x529px) Image search: [Google]
AngryAboutElves.png
387KB, 358x529px
>>54661155
>>
>>54661234
I can't think of a spell that does, and any other effect I can think of that does something like that is limited in some other way.
>>
>>54661249
Casting ability isn't always a primary focus. Again if you're a healer with cruise control(Glamour Bard, Goodberry+Life, Aura of Vitality) your spells are secondary support things and unrelated to mid-combat actions. Swinging is what you do if you don't dump all your good stats for casting.
>>
Sanctuary is broken. There needs to be at least a minute before you can cast it again.
>>
>>54661298
I hate sanctuary generally, anti-mechanic mechanics are dumb.
>>
>>54661257
Do you even know what MAD means? It sounds like you're accidentally agreeing with me. A caster's first priority is their spellcasting ability, followed by Dex. Mountain dwarves get neither of those. They get Con, a casters third priority, and Strength, which is a total waste. The armor proficiency they get is only a tiny bit better than Mage Armor, this holds true even if their Dex is 14, and it comes at the price of sucking at everything they're supposed to be good at, and also being slow.
>>
>>54661289
False. As a caster, even if you don't have a maxed-out casting ability, cantrips are better because they scale with level and your attacks don't.
>>
Could a wizard/eldrich knight multiclass make his staff of power/staff of the magi his summonable weapon?
>>
>>54655654
Just thumbed through these and dissapointed at how underwhelming and/or stupid they all are, especially after how alright the gunslinger/blood hunter classes from him were.
>>
File: Kuze_vs_Kiryu.png (2MB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
Kuze_vs_Kiryu.png
2MB, 1366x768px
>>54660080
Because not everyone's fantasy is being Kazuma Kiryu in fantasyland.
>>
>>54661357
If it says the magic staff works as a quarterstaff, yes. If not, then no.
>>
>>54657657
>but he didn't refer to it by name and he replaced Fly with a different spell.
There are many different instruments of the bards. He probably just picked a different one than anon is thinking of.
>>
>>54661331
>>54661356
Depends on their build, spellcasting ability != spellcasting power. If you're not casting directly savable spells against enemies then you don't really need a spellcasting ability. Spells known isn't affected by your casting bonus anymore either so that's optional in some cases. Cantrips are not any different.
>>
>>54658762
>if you're going THAT far back in time.
You're overlooking the possibility that the players are being asked to literally go back in time.
>>
New thread

>>54661468
>>54661468
>>54661468
>>54661468
>>54661468
>>
>>54661388
Even if you want support to be your number one priority as a caster, in 5e there will be lots of turns when you will want to do something offensive because there's nothing else to do, or because you can get somebody up with Healing Word and still do something else that turn. So when you're looking for something offensive to spend your action on and don't want to spend a spell slot on it, your options are swinging a weapon or casting a cantrip. Cantrips are generally much, much better because they're ranged and scale with level even if you put nothing else into them.

And let's be real; around the lower-middle levels you've got more spell slots than you can reasonably use on support alone. Your party will thank you if you spend one of those lower-level slots on Guiding Bolt or Faerie Fire, and they'll especially thank you if you have a high enough wisdom to make it hit.
>>
>>54658910
>My instincts:
Would agendum be "one item on the list" of an agenda being multiple items or the whole list?
>look it up to be sure
Agendum "thing to be done" plural agenda "thingS to be done". Huh. Agendas doesn't really feel wrong, just like peoples.
>>
>>54661477
Well the damage cantrips only apply to a few classes. Druids are almost certainly going to be front lines fighters no matter what but they dont need any dwarven racial help for that (and they avoid MAD). Without any tenser's I can't imagine ever wanting to make a wizzard type do real combat unless you count MMM's or something and I think they're bonus actions now too. Elemental weapon and their ilk might be useful rarely but no reason to go into melee with them. I don't see wizzards going that route since EK/Tricksters exist

Bards have so many ways to go that I'll just avoid mentioning them more since they're the exception to EVERY rule.
>>
>>54658963
>>54658910
Dictionaries include all kinds of informal, archaic, or regional uses. In this case, saying "a dice" is mostly a British thing that a few Americlaps picked up from Warhammer. English dictionaries are descriptive rather than prescriptive, using a dictionary as an authority is a gross misunderstanding of how dictionaries work, and you're setting yourself up for humiliation of you think a dictionary is all you need to use language in an intelligible way that won't attract unwanted scrutiny.
>>
>>54652208

Bumping my post just the once.
>>
>>54660267
>Except with more unarmed damage, for some reason.
That, at least, is because they don't get stunning strikes, and because monks should scale up to d12s too.
>>
>>54661573
Onion druids (moon druids who rely on Wild Shape to take massive amounts of damage that mostly gets wiped away when they change back) are the one kind of druid who want to be on the front lines. Everything else will want to use ranged cantrips, especially Frostbite.
>>
>>54661763
Shillelagh + Shields + Medium Armor + Thorn Whip(?) is amazing though plus bonus shifting makes it super easy to safely disengage so..... why not?
>>
>>54660495
>In a D&D world where every free adventurer has unlimited access to weapons and armor,
In what world is that true? Fucking guards even want to deprive an old man of his walking stick. It's downright tyrannical, I tells ya.
>>
>>54661031
Because PCs and monsters were not created equal.
>>
>>54661031
Because the DM has enough shit to do and if every monster and its uncle is making PHB grabs it gets old and slows down play and usually isn't a good idea for the monster, and devalues AC, and makes it harder to run from the big scary monster that you really wish the party would take the hint already.

Just generally bad stuff and the only good is what? Verisimilitude for the players who've read the monster's stat block?
>>
>>54661833
It's not amazing. It doesn't scale with level at all, and it's only okay even at low levels. Plus it's a waste of a feat to take War Caster so you can cast with a club in one hand and a shield in the other.
>>
>>54661249
Clerics get divine strike in (Death), (Forge), Life, Nature, Tempest, Trickery, and War domains. Clerics get martial weapons in (Death), Tempest, and War domains. Divine strike without martial weapons is the more common pairing.
>>
>>54661963
Grabbing is usually not the optimal choice, though. There are only three circumstances when you want to spend an attack on a grab: when there's some environmental hazard that you want to carry someone into, when you can fly and they're small enough to not encumber you, and when you want to take someone alive. In other cases you're better off attacking. And yes, I know that you can shove someone after grabbing them; that's usually a waste of two attacks.
>>
Trying to make a Vistani PC.

Other than the curses, I'm think a Bard Archfey Warlock mĂșlticlass should do the trick.
But if I focus on mobility and communication spells, which ones should I choose?
>>
>>54662260
What the hell kind of archfey is dicking around in Ravenloft? Ravenloft doesn't even have a feywild. Maybe there's some especially arrogant archfey who was made into a darklord?
>>
>>54662043
Well, in those four domains that get one but not the other, yes, you could in theory increase your average melee weapon damage by 1 or 2 by being a mountain dwarf. Was it really worth it?
>>
File: LaughingAnimeGirls.gif (5MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
LaughingAnimeGirls.gif
5MB, 480x270px
>>54657622
>>54657660
>>54657201
>>54657557
This is such a retarded way to interpret rules it's hilarious.
>>
>>54662299
Van Richten's guide to the Vistani details how every new moon the Vistani must go to the woods and perform strange shadow Glade rituals
>>
>>54662528
That could mean a number of things. That obligation may only exist in their own minds, superstitious as they are, or it may be to supplicate some sort of being who lives there. What would that being be? Certainly not a being of sweetness and light and beauty, considering that it's fucking Ravenloft. It's probably some kind of horrible monster that they have to supplicate.
>>
Does anyone have the "Weird West" Update from The Middlefinger of Vecna?
Would be great if someone could share it with me
>>
>>54662941

See >>54661476
>>
File: HeadInHands.jpg (35KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
HeadInHands.jpg
35KB, 500x333px
How do I take a shit if I'm wearing demon armor?
>>
>>54663668
Very carefully
>>
Where is Crypt of the Death Giants in the trove?
Thread posts: 396
Thread images: 29

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.