[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Game spoilers ruin games. >The depths of a game should reveal

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: Nov_15_020.jpg (329KB, 1900x1170px) Image search: [Google]
Nov_15_020.jpg
329KB, 1900x1170px
Game spoilers ruin games.

>The depths of a game should reveal themselves gradually
>Strategy guides kill any sense of communal discovery and cut game-lives short

Should you be permitted to threatened the sense of enjoyment of another?
>>
>>54642644
>Should you be permitted to threatened the sense of enjoyment of another?

The better question is, "how do you plan to stop me?" Because I give not a solitary shit what you say about it, I'm going to keep spoiling things as much as possible for as many people as possible.
>>
>>54642644

It's a stupid ideal that never works in the age of mass communication. Someone will find the optimal strategy, and they will post it online for others to read, research and improve on. That is the state of things. You might pine for a simpler time but unless you go out of your way to establish an arbitrary, restricted scenario for it to play out in, that is not the way things will go.
>>
>>54642644
It seems like I'd be only undermining my own enjoyment, though.
Unless I'd not only be checking out spoilers, but revealing them to other players, at which point it's the GM's prerogative to kick me.
>>
>>54645986
>Someone will find the optimal strategy, and they will post it online for others to read

How can we stop this from happening?
>>
>>54645951
Enjoy nobody wanting to play games or hang out with you, then. As "That Guy" as it gets.
>>
>>54646966
You can't. Unless you make the game and all it's components free and change the rules/meta at such a pace that people can't come up with strategies fast enough.
>>
>>54646966
The best way is to be well balanced so it's hard to find an optimal solution.
>>
>>54647093
But there will always be an optimal way and people will find it. That's the nature of any competitive game.
>>
>>54647152
Not necessarily. You've had people arguing for over 100 years as to whether e4 or d4 are better chess openings, for example.
>>
>>54647228
And a computer can find out.
>>
>>54647152
There will be. But if there are enough close options, it becomes less
>This is the optimal strategy
And more
>This is my favorite strategy
>>
>>54647257
They haven't thus far. They're not likely to either, despite all the efforts that have been put into brute force solving chess.

And chess is comparatively a fairly simple game. You take some of the real monster games out there, big hex and chit wargames, and try to tell me that there's a solved meta for them. I'd be interested in how much I should be diverting my German production against east and west in my WiF game.
>>
>>54642644
Uhhhhh

Spoilers ruin STORY-based games, sure. But I don't "get your ass kicked" to be the only way I learn about how my team (or, more often, their team) operates.
>>
>>54642644
i bought the prima strategy guide for morrowind back in 2003 or so when they release the goty edition. I must have put a thousand hours into that game, and i found every nook and cranny thanks to that strategy guide. I'm sure I would have never found all the smuggler's dens and daedric ruins if it wasnt for that guide, and only after i felt i had seen everything morrowind had to offer did i stop playing years later.

but good bait 8/10 made me reply take your (you)
>>
>>54642644

What the fuck are you even talking about?

People referring to new models and shit coming out?

Fuck no spoilers. These games are ridiculously complicated even when you know what everything does.
>>
>>54642644
I agree with this. Learning is the most fun of games. The quality of a game is how much time you spend learning. I always wondered what happened to MTG for me, and I realised that all the fun was in the discovery phase of the game. Learning all the interesting a rich ways the robust rules could be navigated, learning both tough and subtle lessons on the alchemy of deckbuilding, earnestly attempting ridiculous and obscene decks and strategies based on fun themes and ultimatums. It was better then.

Don't spoil games.
>>
>>54642644

Nope. Game should be fun when played optimally. If it's not it has bigger problems than bloggers posting sick strats.
>>
>>54642644
In a sensible society we'd do whatever the fuck we want to do within the norm of law, seek people who do things in a similar way to share our particular likes, and ignore our dislikes.

But, this is earth where people liking what we don't like is grounds for wanting to kill each other and there's always someone willing and able to profit from our warfare-inducing buttdevastation.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.