[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Overgrown Ruins

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

Sorry, but no.

If any of you rpg geeks left his basement and visited any kind of abandoned ruins in the area with a lot of greenery, he would understand that it's impossible to adventure there.

So where does this meme comes from and why does every rpg has to have some centuries old ruins which are perfectly clean and devoid of obstacles? Why, do skeletons there borrow broomsticks from the witches and clean up a bit?

What
>>
>>54638235
>create undead/golems
>order them to maintain parts of your castle
>three hundred years later you're dead, forgotten
>your surviving mindless automata keep bits of your old stronghold habitable
there explained
>>
>>54638235
Have some fun faggot it's just a game. Old abandoned ruins are spooky and cool and a good reason for there to be ancient artifacts the players can sell for dosh.
>>
>>54638235
> impossible to adventure there.
It's possible to adventure in a forest, and it's possible to adventure in an old building. Even if you're saying that the place would be chock full of trees, you could still climb around inside and see what's in there. I don't see the problem.
>>
>>54638235
You don't know what you're talking about. Urban explorers fuck around in overgrown ruins all the time.
>>
File: ruins.jpg (396KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
ruins.jpg
396KB, 1366x768px
>>54638235
>which are perfectly clean and devoid of obstacles
Why would you assume this?
For "dungeons" that are actually tombs (rather than lairs or semi-used castles, which are more unobstructed for obvious reason), why would you not have your players hacking away plants (or burning them, whatever) and braking in a la actual tomb robbers?
>>
How old is old?

Today, a ruined castle is at least 500 years old.
But in medieval times, a ruined old castle could just be 50 years old, and be properly called old. A 50 year old castle ruin would be dishevelled, but it wouldn't be a complete death trap.
>>
>>54639136
Great point
>>
>>54639136

This, especially if a castle or fortress was deliberately closed up before being abandoned because it didn't make economic or strategic sense to keep it manned. There are 'abandoned' Knights Templar chapter-houses in the Middle East that are still intact today.

On the other end of the 'ruin' scale is places that were burned out and near a city. They'd be looted of useful material and the good stone or brick taken within a few years.
>>
>>54638235
>I'm going to climb this wall with the rope
You didn't untaggle it after the last time you used it. Its going to take 4hours to fix it
>while he's doing that I'll read this runes
Its an old language, you will need 5 weeks , a team of grad students and a library to do that.
>I'm going to make lunch
You only packed enough food for 3 days. Your out. You are all staving to death.
>hunt
You spend a few days tracking a deer for it to get away at the last moment
>I drink water from the steam
You get a watetborn infection and die
>>
>>54639279
>nofunallowed.bmp
>>
>>54639279
I really hope you're being snarky, because no one could be this completely clueless to just how anything at all works.
>>
File: Hamburg G Flak Tower.jpg (82KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Hamburg G Flak Tower.jpg
82KB, 800x600px
>>54639136
I'd argue that ruined castles can be a lot newer than that, even now - if you go to napoleonic forts, or even some WWI and II defences could count (not pic related though), things like Maginot Line bunkers.

Your point however is excellent - "old abandoned ruins" just means no-one can be bothered to permanently inhabit a place any more, age has very little to do with it
>>
>>54639279
I'll take "Things Only a Shit GM Would Say" for 400, Alex.

Seriously who tracks shit like the first one, the second one is fine unless someone knows comprehend languages, hopefully you realize you can go for weeks without food if absolutely necessary, and the last two are solved by not being a city-born feckless cunt who has no idea how the woods work.
>>
>>54639279
That's how i like it!
My players have to take weeks only for preparation about the adventuring area otherwise they're automatically fucked
>>
>>54639378
A proper application of the whole "hunting deer is hard" shtick would be something like the players being unable to catch a deer, and having to make due with some squirrel and rabbit.
Which if they keep fumbling their deer/swine-hunting rolls means you can introduce them to rabbit starvation. If you eat a fuckload of protein without any fat to go with it (like eating rabbit for ages), you'll get sick, get the shits and get an unstoppable craving for raw fat.

Now you've made the players aware of the logistics of living in the wild, the risk of starvation, the problems of staying healthy while on an adventure - and you haven't put them at any deadly risks like a bad Steam Greenlight survival game OH YOU HAVEN'T EATEN IN 5 MINUTES YOU DIE!
>>
>>54639412
This nigga right here knows what's up.
>>
>>54638235
>contradicts himself with attached image
how will op ever recover?
>>
>>54638235
gelatin cubes were invented for this reason. They go around cleaning the dungeon. Now you might ask what does a bugbear eat while staying fro decades in a hidden room.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.