[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've been playing Brutal Legend and Crypt of the Necrodancer,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

File: CryptOfTheNecrodancer.gif (1MB, 406x449px) Image search: [Google]
CryptOfTheNecrodancer.gif
1MB, 406x449px
I've been playing Brutal Legend and Crypt of the Necrodancer, and now I really want to run some kind of setting where music and magic are literally the same thing.
>>
>>54613665
All bards all the time. This is my fetish.
>>
>>54613665
that's like...fifty percent of all religions
>>
>>54613665
WOOP WOOP
>>
>>54613665
Check out The Old Kingdom books. (Sabriel, Lirael, Abhorsen, etc.)
Their magic is a mix of runemarks and musical notes, the main characters work most of their magic through a codified set of enchanted bells, and the setting's primary world was an unstable mess of chaotic "Free Magic" before seven of the most powerful magical entities decided to sing a semi-sentient containment system into existence.
>>
In the works of Tolkien, music and magic are very closely entwined, particularly with the elves. The duel of Finrod Felagund and Sauron rings a bell, songs of power and the like.

He chanted a song of wizardry,
Of piercing, opening, of treachery,
Revealing, uncovering, betraying.
Then sudden Felagund there swaying
Sang in answer a song of staying,
Resisting, battling against power,
Of secrets kept, strength like a tower,
And trust unbroken, freedom, escape;
Of changing and of shifting shape,
Of snares eluded, broken traps,
The prison opening, the chain that snaps.
Backwards and forwards swayed their song.
Reeling and foundering, as ever more strong
The chanting swelled, Felagund fought,
And all the magic and miht he brought
Of Elvenesse into his words.
Softly in the gloom they heard the birds
Singing afar in Nargothrond,
The sighing of the sea beyond,
Beyond the western world, on sand,
On sand of pearls in Elvenland.
Then the gloom gathered; darkness growing
In Valinor, the red blood flowing
Beside the Sea, where the Noldor slew
The Foamriders, and stealing drew
Their white ships with their white sails
From lamplit havens. The wind wails,
The wolf howls. The ravens flee.
The ice mutters in the mouths of the Sea.
The captives sad in Angband mourn.
Thunder rumbles, the fires burn –
And Finrod fell before the throne.
>>
>>54613665
there are some neat african shaman traditions that don't just treat music as magic but specifically cite magic as the reason you can get high off a room, like when you just get swept up in a scene, or otherwise get wrapped up in the pace and energy of other people. It's part of why song and dance is used not just as celebration but as magic ritual. When you take it out of the specific context of drums and rain dances and into a modern setting, it's basically straight up party magic.
>>
File: IMG_3123.jpg (311KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3123.jpg
311KB, 2048x1152px
>>54616031
Also their southern border is some sort of dimensional gateway to WWI era not-Britain, which just makes for fun culture/reality shock shenanigans
>>
File: mugic.png (179KB, 250x350px) Image search: [Google]
mugic.png
179KB, 250x350px
>>54613665
>>
>>54616079
Might be because in Kalevala spells are songs.
>>
There's also In Nomine, where you play angels or demons in a world where all of existence is a symphony, where your divine/infernal powers are songs, and your actions can cause dissonance and discord with the music of creation.
>>
File: e1VApZX.jpg (610KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
e1VApZX.jpg
610KB, 1280x720px
>>54613665
Is sci-fi ok?
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.