[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lair of the Lich

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

File: D&D Artwork 1.jpg (581KB, 1600x1600px) Image search: [Google]
D&D Artwork 1.jpg
581KB, 1600x1600px
So /tg/ you guys have helped me out in the past and I'm hoping you can help me again. I am going to start a questline that involves undead and a cave, super simple right? Well, this is going to be a long ass dungeon crawl filled with undead horrors and I want to immerse my players as well as fill them with a sense of dread and impending doom. They think a lich dwells in the cave they enter, but in reality it's just what's left of his personal undead bodyguard's tomb. Problem is, my players really know their shit and are good at prioritizing targets and hit like trucks even though they aren't even lvl 10 yet. I'm just a fledgling DM and I want to give them a real challenge, got any ideas for encounters?
>>
How about you make the danger of the tomb something that cannot be killed?

It's said that many liches used that tomb as a base because the tomb offers a wealth of necromantic power and knowledge. But actually it has never been used by liches. Only by necromancers. They never had a chance to make it to lichhood, you see.

This tomb is pure evil. Actual pure evil. Far beyond the kind of selfish desire or hate that a human is capable of. This is the kind of evil that is truly unkillable except for the complete obliteration of continents and mountains. Whatever goes through those doors will suffer. And the deeper you go, the more you suffer. And when you've suffered enough, the tomb gives you two doors more. One brings you back to the surface, to tell all about the suffering you had to endure in the Lair of the Lich, and that the Lich surely must lurk deep down there, spreading its evil on a hoard of magical artefacts and gold. The other door leads to your inevitable demise. Who knows how many necromancers, paladins, tomb raiders and adventurers are bound down there in unlife, to suffer until the end of times?
>>
>>54608222
what is the class composition of your party?
also, a mirror room, with copies of your party will work
>>
>>54608350
That is fucking awesome, I'm using that.
>>
>>54608222
Mimics
>>
File: roguethief.png (573KB, 698x536px) Image search: [Google]
roguethief.png
573KB, 698x536px
>>54608350
I like everything but the two doors part. Maybe make it more like radiation. You can press on for riches or knowledge or to complete your quest to slay the lich, but you can also leave anytime. Some adventurers leave without succeeding and live to tell the tale. Others press on, obsessed with their goals until they never leave again...
>>
>>54608536
Make mimics of their characters? That is good...
>>
>>54608568
Well, when I ran it, I did exactly run it like you said. Every floor they cleared brought them closer to the point of no return. But my players know I like that kind of shit.

OP's players might be more traditional players, so giving them a pretty clear choice might just give them an "OH SHIT, time to watch out" jolt to actually think about what they want to do.

One advantage of the creeping-death dungeon is that you can just say "Fuck the CR" and just keep throwing shit at your munchkin cheesing players until even their minmaxed wank characters are bleeding out of every orifice and can barely hold their weapons.
>>
>>54608639
As much as I'd love to do that there is a group of other DM's that have to pre-approve your quest. So I have limited XP from enemies to work with, otherwise they'll get pissy.
>>
File: 1468603464869.jpg (266KB, 1500x2028px) Image search: [Google]
1468603464869.jpg
266KB, 1500x2028px
>>54608639
Oh right, this is a game not my story
>>
>>54608695
>pre-approve your quest
Wut

Using training wheels isn't going to help you learn how to ride a bike, anon. It's the falls and scrapes that help you learn what not to do, and it's the thrilling feeling of going forward, feeling like you could fall but don't, that make DMing worth it, to extend the metaphor.
>>
>>54608778
No, no, no, it's west marches, so for balancing purposes the admins have to approve quests.
>>
File: [agitation intensifies].gif (432KB, 500x394px) Image search: [Google]
[agitation intensifies].gif
432KB, 500x394px
>>54608788
>it's west marches

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH THE ULTIMATE EVIL!
>>
>>54608788
Wait, is this a community or something? From what I just researched, it looks like West Marches is more of a game philosophy that could be easily adapted to your own group, but are you trying to fit in with some sort of "canon" established by people who've been playing in the setting longer?

Power to you, but I don't think I'd like working under the whim of another person's approval. And that's after I already try to make my settings be self-consistent and logicalish.
>>
>>54608638
No no no. The creature called a "Mimic"

And have a lot of them - it makes people... paranoid. Personally I prod everything with a knife before I open it in my campaign because I'm afraid of being eaten alive.
>>
>>54609120
Think of D&D as an MMO, you come play when you can but the game technically never stops. That's basically what we're doing.
>>
>>54609176
Hmm...
>>
>>54609702
Okay, so imagine if you will. A chest (or any other object that can attract idiotic adventurers). It looks exactly like a normal chest.
But in reality, it's a creature that can disguise itself as an item. It's not illusion magic, so truesight won't do dick,
When they open the chest, it'll grab the poor victim and try to eat it. I don't know if they are in your monsters manual, but you could probably make one from scratch.

They can also be other things, like doors, or hats, or books, or furniture. Some people here even joke about people who are mimics or entire dungeons who are made of multiple mimics, or one giant mimic (even though that's probably impossible)
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.