[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 315
Thread images: 43

File: conor-burke-vader2-copy.jpg (284KB, 800x1218px) Image search: [Google]
conor-burke-vader2-copy.jpg
284KB, 800x1218px
>Unearthed Arcana: Greyhawk Initiative:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAGreyhawkInitiative.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
>>54596354

How did you defeat your campaign's BBEG?
>Ugh.
>>
Which BBEG? There was a new one almost every other session.
>>
File: page_1.jpg (409KB, 1110x1492px) Image search: [Google]
page_1.jpg
409KB, 1110x1492px
Second for Eberron is best setting.
>>
File: 1412725902393.jpg (17KB, 372x260px) Image search: [Google]
1412725902393.jpg
17KB, 372x260px
>Group of first-time players run into their first encounter that requires some thought and isn't just a bunch of low level cannon fodder
>They win in three turns while suffering no damage
>Complain and act like I was purposely trying to fuck them over
>>
File: heman road ripper.jpg (914KB, 1280x841px) Image search: [Google]
heman road ripper.jpg
914KB, 1280x841px
Fuck, I was just too late in the old thread.

I need your help, /5eg/.

My bosses at my office job are looking for "team building activities" and "employee bonding exercises" that won't break the bank. I half-jokingly mentioned I could DM Dungeons & Dragons for the various departments but they actually got very interested and have tapped me to do so. It's a small company, each department would be just 4-5 people each.

The world I have in mind for this is a He-man esque, "swords, sorcery, and science" fantasy world where you can plow through a primeval desert on a boxy speeder-tank, blast liches with laser beams, and invade the lair of a cyborg dragon king. I'm choosing this approach because 1) the no rules, just right world would allow for tons of creativity without being overwhelming, 2) straying away from bog-standard fantasy might open up my coworkers to it more, and 3) the Saturday Morning cartoon tone of it all would allow for action-packed, adventure-of-the-week one-shots without a lot of focus on character development, which logistics will force onto the backburner. It's very touch and go until I understand my "players" more but right now I'm going for maximum action and maximum appeal.

My question is, what can I do to make this kind of setting as cool as hell (reskin "laser blasters" as crossbows that do radiant/necrotic damage?), and what can I do to the base mechanics of DND to make it as accessible as possible for my coworkers? I'm already planning on pre-making different character sheets for each class because I cannot stress enough that it'd be foolish to assume any of them will read the Player's Handbook.

Hopefully the end goal of this will be culling the best and most interested players from my workplace for a more serious game, or at least a more dedicated one where characterization will actually matter.
>>
>>54608076
If that thing we did to BBEG is called defeating, I don't want to know what losing would be like.
>>
>>54608167
This sounds like a disaster waiting to happen, but good luck.
>>
Alright, savagely tear apart this idea I had for a monkey man race. I didn't spend much time on it so you won't hurt my feelings.

Ability Score increase: +1 STR, +2 DEX
Size: M
Speed: 30ft

Climb Speed 30 ft

Add proficiency bonus to all ranged attacks using weapons with the Thrown property and thrown improvised weapons, whether proficient in their use or not. Ignore disadvantage from throwing at long range.

Prehensile tail: 5 foot reach, cannot make attacks, can interact with and pick up objects weighing no more than 20 pounds even while both hands are occupied. Sleight of hand checks made with the tail are made at disadvantage. Ability checks made with the tail ignore any features or abilities that allow you to take a minimum die roll, such as Reliable Talent.

Langage: Common
>>
File: banterstops.jpg (66KB, 602x709px) Image search: [Google]
banterstops.jpg
66KB, 602x709px
>>54608167
>trying to charm normies into the fold

good luck mang
>>
>>54608276
5e is the most normie friendly edition. I got three or four people playing it.
>>
>>54608276

you know it's weird times when your receptionist who looks like Santa's wife mentions she played a Halfling back in college.
>>
File: nitro.jpg (26KB, 150x188px) Image search: [Google]
nitro.jpg
26KB, 150x188px
>>54608305
I agree but these aren't your slightly nerdy met-at-an-event normies, these are straight up WORK normies

the worst kind
approach with caution
>>
>How did you defeat your campaign's BBEG?

His name is Finch and we still haven't defeated him yet.
>>
>>54608076

I have yet to finish a campaign
>>
What are some good 5e urban adventures to read through to get an idea on how to run adventures in a city? I'm great at doing dungeon crawls, exploration, or survival stuff, but I've never really done urban campaigns.
>>
>>54608252
Expertise with attacks is retardedly powerful. The fuck were you thinking?
>>
>>54608386

It's not expertise, it's proficiency even if you don't gain proficiency from your class, and proficiency with thrown improvised weapons even if you don't have anything that gives improvised weapon proficiency.
>>
>>54608384
There aren't any, really. 5e adventures thus far have been really far-spanning with little focus on individual locales.
>>
>>54608404
As written, it's proficiency twice if you're proficient.
>>
>>54608421
Proficiency bonus can't be added more than once to a check, per 5e's rules.
>>
>>54608421

It thought anything that allows expertise or double proficiency has to say so specifically, like the dwarven racial history checks or the skill feats.

The wording was chosen, because unlike the Elven weapon training for instance, monkey men aren't proficient in all weapons with the thrown property. They are only proficient in attacks that involve throwing. So, attacking in melee with a handaxe doesn't count.
>>
If I have an item that lets me cast a leveled spell as a bonus-action, am I still limited by the general spellcasting rules of only being able to cast a Cantrip as an action in that same turn, or could I use the item to cast the bonus-action spell and then use my action to cast another leveled spell from a spell slot?
>>
What do y'all think about the Twilight druid?

Player of mine wants it. Obvsly no mĂșlticlassing
>>
>>54608508
>am I still limited by the general spellcasting rules of only being able to cast a Cantrip as an action in that same turn

yes
>>
>>54608551
Let them take a level of arcana cleric
>>
>>54608167
>"swords, sorcery, and science" fantasy world where you can plow through a primeval desert on a boxy speeder-tank, blast liches with laser beams, and invade the lair of a cyborg dragon king
Sounds stupid
>>
>>54608449
>>54608486
Fair enough.
>>
File: 1500789733404.jpg (360KB, 710x508px) Image search: [Google]
1500789733404.jpg
360KB, 710x508px
Reminder if you play a 'hurr I'm dumb' one-dimensional barbarian at anything but a children's party you should kill yourself.
>>
>>54608636
I played a barbarian that was like Terry from Brooklyn nine-nine.
>>
>>54608636
>your fun is wrong
>>
>>54608636
It's just fine for a beer and pretzels style game.
>>
File: approved.gif (917KB, 220x165px) Image search: [Google]
approved.gif
917KB, 220x165px
>>54608636

My current character is a barbarian wielding two flails with 13 Intelligence and 8 Wisdom.

The rationale is that it takes a lot of physics and geometric know-how to dual wield such cumbersome weapons as flails, and very little Wisdom to not think it's a terrible idea.
>>
>>54608636

who gos to children's parties to play DnD?

What kinds of children's parties host DnD games?
>>
Should I trade my cloak of protection for the party warlock's whistle, that can cast animate dead once per day? I'm a level 4 necromancer wizard with 11 ac without the cloak
>>
>Arcana tomorrow
Who's hype for UA: Food and Provisions?
>>
>>54608730
Tomorrow's the 31st, are we actually getting the new UA then?
>>
>>54608167
Honestly, for ease of play, you're best off using an older ruleset, like B/X. Most people are going to be majorly turned off by the prospect of D&D as a team-building exercise itself. Jumping-the-shark-though-you-are-not-a-tv-show levels of being turned off. So it'll likely be simpler if, instead of expecting them to pick up the rules, you use an edition that barely has rules
>>
>>54608829
Oh, but adapt the AC to ascending. Descending AC is the normie's bane
>>
Odd question for you guys

I gave my players a lot of money (~2000po). It might have been a fuck up, but I mainly followed the book while doing so.

What's a good thing for the adventurers to spend their fortune on? I know there's like
- upkeep (DMG)
- cost of life (PHB)
- components for writing in the spellbook (PHB)

But that's not nearly enough... And I don't want to put super magic items in the shops as well...
It seems like that's one shortcoming of 5e...
>>
>>54608862
Let them spend it on fun things.
Not fun combat things, but at least one of your players is sure to have an idea like "FLYING SHIP" that you can let them buy.
>>
>>54608862
>~2000po
You mean pp (platinum)?
> I don't want to put super magic items in the shops
If it's a high magic game, why not? If it's a low magic game, just put lesser magic items in shops for vastly inflated prices.
>>
Where can I find homebrew that's solid and cohesive? We're playing a game where everyone is homebrew classes and races, but it's all off danddwiki so it's hard to find anything that isn't either poorly written or straight up broken.
>>
>>54608862

Gurbintroll games has rules for running a domain. Let them buy an old castle and become the free republic of derptopia.

Let them buy a ship.

Become part-owners in a gladiatorial stable.
>>
>>54608936
>We're playing a game where everyone is homebrew classes and races, but it's all off danddwiki
You should probably just abandon ship right now, your DM is clearly retarded if he allows the players to even look at that site
>>
>>54608606
>>54608636
Good evening, reddit
>>
>>54608974
It's 3pm you mong
>>
>>54608167
Sounds amazing. Do it, I would play...
>>
File: Magic Schools Symbols.jpg (146KB, 584x767px) Image search: [Google]
Magic Schools Symbols.jpg
146KB, 584x767px
>>54608899
>>54608909
>>54608937
So basically:
- ask your players
- weak magic items
- give them a keep

Afraid my players arent the most imaginative and I'm not sure how they'll react to getting a keep. They're still quite new...
But thanks!
>>
How would you design the underground / sewers of an 80s style sword and planet / he man style metropolis? And I mean Full on synthwave 80s with swords wizards lazers and dinosaurs.

Looking for descriptions and monsters mostly
>>
>>54608636
Legitimate question: is -Int supposed to be actually being dumb (as in if you're sub 10 int you are mentally retarded) or could it just belie a lack of formal education? Arcana, History, Nature, and Religion are all things a character would logically learn in a classroom environment, and Investigation comes with the critical thinking skills that academia tries to build.
>>
>>54609800
Both work.
Low intelligence just generally means the character is bad at academic and thinky things.
Maybe that's because they're dumb.
Maybe that's because they never learned anything from school, or never went.
Maybe that's because they jump blindly to the first conclusion and never reconsider it even in the face of obvious contradictions.
Maybe that's because they have functionally no creativity or inspiration.
>>
>>54608850
What do you mean?
>>
>>54609800

RAW:

>Intelligence measures mental acuity, accuracy of recall, and the ability to reason. An Intelligence check com es into play when you need to draw on logic, education, memory, or deductive reasoning.
>Wisdom reflects how attuned you are to the world around you and represents perceptiveness and intuition. A Wisdom check might reflect an effort to read body language, understand someone’s feelings, notice things about the environment, or care for an injured person.

So I guess a simplification would be Intelligence is what you know, Wisdom is what you understand. "Formal education" doesn't necessarily exclude the importance of Wisdom. Wisdom, to me, reads as the more empathetic skill.
>>
>>54608601
I know what a nuclear Druid is Anon..
>>
>>54609800
I always thought common human populace have stats assigned by 3d6 roll without any modifier. Thus Intelligence 10 is average.

PCs often have higher average stats, but that is because they are exceptional heroes.
See Commoner in Monster Manual - they have 10 everywhere.

If you have 8 Int, you might not be very good with math and abstract thinking, but you are still able to function without trouble.

If you have Int 6, you might be dumb, but certainly not retarded.
>>
Anyone have experience using Side Initiative style combat? I'm looking up a way for my players to have more tactical / creative options in combat (as well as my monsters), but also speed things up in combat.
>>
>>54608167
>The world I have in mind for this is a He-man esque, "swords, sorcery, and science" fantasy world where you can plow through a primeval desert on a boxy speeder-tank, blast liches with laser beams, and invade the lair of a cyborg dragon king.

This would likely be incredibly overwhelming for new players. When normies think D&D they're thinking LoTR and WoW style fantasy. You want to meet that expectation because it will make them feel like they know what's going on.

My advice? Scrap the setting, make premade character sheets of standard fantasy archetypes. Make them very recognizeable - you're literally going for conan.barbarian, legolas.ranger, gimli.fighter, gandalf.wizard. You could even pare it down to how the Starter Set does it and just give them Fighter, Wizard, Cleric, and Rogue, maybe throwing in Ranger and Barbarian because those are simple enough to explain. Have multiples of every sheet ready, write out exactly what their spells do, play on a grid to help them visualize what's going on. The less searching through the PHB your newbies have to do the better. Bring plenty of dice.

A simple "noble's son has been kidnapped by goblins" style minimalist hook will suffice. Keep it simple! You can always expand on simple, it's much harder to the other way.
>>
>>54609971
10 is average for adventurer types, literacy is not average (usually)
>>
Control Water
>Until the spell ends, you control any freestanding water inside an area you choose that is a cube up to 100 feet on a side. You can choose from any of the following effects when you cast this spell. As an action on your turn, you can repeat the same effect or choose a different one.

When I choose to repeat the same effect as an action, can I also choose a different 10 foot cube area to affect, or does every effect I choose within 10 minutes have to happen within the same initial cube?

For instance, imagine I'm trying to part a path through a body of water that is 200 feet wide and less than 100 feet deep, could I slide the affected cube along as an action on my turn, or would I need multiple casts?
>>
>>54610030
>10 is average for adventurer types
12 is average for adventurers. 10 is average for a commoner.
>>
>>54609974
Best way to speed up combat imo is to have badly injured characters drop prone after taking a hard melee hit. I feel it's realistic and flavorful, and getting more PCs/NPCs advantage will mean more hits, which makes combat faster. I have players make CON saves to stay on their feet, whereas for monsters I just fudge around depending on how this fight needs to go to keep the story moving.
>>
>>54609971
>If you have 8 Int, you might not be very good with math and abstract thinking, but you are still able to function without trouble.
I'm stealing this. Barbarians shouldn't be braindead because they're at 8 int, they just didn't learn their multiplication tables at Barbarian school.
>>
File: HeroForgeScreenshot.png (308KB, 1680x863px) Image search: [Google]
HeroForgeScreenshot.png
308KB, 1680x863px
Might replace the lantern and adjust a few other things, but this is my kobold artificer alchemist
>>
>>54610235
Looks good, I like the details on the mask and clothes
>>
>>54608706
When I was 13 one of my friends had a huge dnd game as his birthday party. His dad wrote the adventure and DMed the game for us.
>>
What are some valuable trade goods a place found in a desert environment might have? Not gold though
>>
Why does /5eg/ have such a hateboner for warlock mechanics?
>>
>>54610297
>not gold
Copper, tin, silver, aluminum
Maybe some dyes or rare spices?
Aloe
>>
File: percentile iq.jpg (70KB, 372x494px) Image search: [Google]
percentile iq.jpg
70KB, 372x494px
>>54609971
>>
>>54610351
>3d6 roll
>3 or less
>or less
>>
>>54610297
What kind of place?
An oasis would have food and water, and would likely serve as a trading hub, allowing for all sorts of goods to be coming in and out.
Tombs and pyramids would have ancient treasures and artifacts.
Near a river you'd find more agriculture.
A desert mine would have some mix of ores, probably. If you want to get fancy you could have fossils or ancient bones buried into the sandstone deep under the desert.
A personal favorite of mine is to have dragons hibernating under the desert sands. They go there when injured to rest underground, because the heat of the desert keeps them warm and the isolation keeps them safe. Until the PC's caravan loses a wheel at the entrance to the dragon's cave...
>>
>>54610322

Couldn't say-I haven't really looked at warlock, so I'm not even sure what mechanics there are to hate.
>>
>>54610043
same cube, multiple casts
>>
>>54608508

Depends on the DM. I say go for it, burn your slots now, cry later.
>>
>>54610322
Because they are described as "seekers of the knowledge that lies hidden in the fabric of the multiverse" and they play like a ranged magical fighter most of the time.
>>
>>54610434
So if you were to use this on ship that was still moving, for example, the effected area would zip behind you as the ship passed it?
>>
File: crow of judgement.jpg (14KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
crow of judgement.jpg
14KB, 540x540px
>>54610061
that sounds pretty damn terrible not gonna lie
>>
>>54609800
I'd say that 'formal education' would likely be proficiency in history/nature/etc.
Education would likely boost your int score, however.

If you have low int, you can justify it in these ways:

>Actually mostly normal but has really bad memory
>Naive to the world they're currently in (Brought in from another world)
>Bad at math/logical thinking
>They're young so not awfully smart yet
>They have a good memory but their ability to recall memories is limited
>>
>>54610297
Obsidian? Garnet? Gypsum? Depends what would be considered "valuable" in your world. Are gems valuable because they're used by wizards for magic and shit, for example?
>>
>>54610061
>>54610474
It has the right idea.
It's fine to sometimes have an enemy lose a limb, fall prone, become frightened and flee from battle, so forth and so forth. But for players I wouldn't do anything unless a monster can knock them prone more naturally.

>>54609974
The best way to encourage this is to populate the fighting environment with things they can interact with and to make enemies more dynamic (I.e. t hey run under certain conditions or a leader directs them and their attacks or they have some sort of gimmick such as having a formation and the party has to break the formation)
>>
>>54610455
Not that guy, but how is that a problem with the class? Players are free to choose which invocations they feel like taking. I played a game from 1 to 6 level with out agonizing blast and used the free invocations for misty visions. It made my character feel like more than a laser cannon without hampering my damage too much.
>>
>>54609866
Older editions use a system where a lower AC is better, and which requires some charts or addition/substraction (THAC0) to work, which is substantially harder than the modern system and looks intimidating to newbies. Some retroclones like Lamentations of the Flame Princess use Ascending AC IIRC
>>
>>54610473
Yes
>>
Is there a guide or just some guidelines for converting monsters from 3.5 to 5e?

I have been reading some Sword Sorcery d20 stuff recently and I wouldn't mind taking some of that stuff in my 5e campaigns.
>>
>>54610322
Their spells-per-rest are absolute trash so they have to fall back on their other features, but their other features are just "cantrip for damage".
They're basically archer fighters, except with fewer options in a normal adventuring day.
>>
>>54610589
Yes
>>
>>54610351
Thank you!

>>54610477
>Education would likely boost your int score, however.
Same way learning to fight would probably boost your strength and constitution. Makes sense.

>>54610541
>I played a game from 1 to 6 level with out agonizing blast
> without hampering my damage too much.

I am sorry, Anon, but i don't believe you. Blasting for 1d10 or 1d10+3 is hell of a difference.
>>
>>54610620
Have you ever actually played one? None of what you said is true. These are all just antiwarlock memes that people spew.
>>
>>54610715
I've played two.
Both times I had to do two thirds or three fourths of the encounters on cantrips alone, because one spell per short is fucking nothing.
>>
>>54610589
This is WotC's official one. Remember that 5e is all about brevity of mechanics--grab the most important shit and drop 3.5e's shit baggage.
>>
>>54610697
Don't believe me, but it's still true. I focused more on utility from invocations than tagging on more damage. The party did fine and I still was able to contribute in battle and out of it.

I don't know why that's so unbelievable, but whatever.
>>
>>54610753
>playing at level 1
>>
>>54610753
It sounds like you made some poor spell choices then, chief.
>>
>>54608404
sounds like you want something like: "You gain proficiency in all thrown weapons (including improvised) if you don't have it already."
>>
>>54610772
The game should be functional at all levels, and first time DMs always ALWAYS start at level one. So yes, a class that has a horrible level 1 is an issue.
Even past that, two per short is still garbage since it's your only interesting option.
>>
>>54610809
Warlocks are no worse at level 1 than any other class
>>
>>54610753
Most wizards do the same. Low level spell slots for every early spellcaster lead to heavy cantrip use.
>>
>>54610757
Honestly 1-4 you should be fine without agonizing blast as a crossbow can do just as well, though you'll be fucked over by magical resistance.

The deal is that any utility you can do a wizard can probably do just as well, usually, but I guess a wizard doesn't have many extra spell slots over you at that point.
>>
>>54610809
>only interesting option
Are you forgetting about the invocations, pacts, and patrons too? If you think spells are the most interesting part of the warlock than you're missing out on a lot of fun, friendo.
>>
Why do fighters get so little skill proficiencies? 2 is so little, even with backgrounds
>>
>>54610891
Most classes only get two from class and two from backgrounds. Bards, rangers, rogues, and artificers are the exceptions.
>>
>>54610891
Most classes get 2 skill proficiencies. At least fighters get a good list.
>>
>>54610868
True, and a wizard is an int-based caster which doesn't lend itself to many useful or interesting skills. My campaigns are usually heavy in social encounters, so I'm all about the CHA-casters.
>>
>>54610891
Every basic class other than bards, rangers and rogues gets 2.
>>
>>54610891
Because they're trained in literally every weapon. That shit takes time.
>>
>>54610919
> int-based caster which doesn't lend itself to many useful or interesting skills
You bitch ass nigger
Intellect is vastly superior to charisma because fucking everyone has high charisma already and nobody has high intellect
>>
Which druid land is your favourite, 5eg?

They all look pretty good, so I can't decide. I know Grassland is supposed to be the best one, but it seems boring to pick the blandest land just for the power of it.
>>
>>54611015

Which land does your druid hail from?

In my opinion, playing a nasty swamp-dweller druid has been my favorite, but mountain men or desert-roamers are equally interesting.

You could even make a primitive-minded literal cave-dweller.
>>
>>54611015
> grassland
> the blandest land
watch some planet earthII on grassland buddy bud
educate yourself
learn some respect
>>
>>54610988
You're sayinh that being able to lie yourself out of harms way, convince NPCs to fight for you and give you things, intimidating enemies to stand down, and preforming at local taverns for renown and gold isn't in any way better than being able to find out what kind of fungus that is, how old this particular ruin is, or what kind of god the evil cult worships? I admit that there's some use to int-based skills, but most INT skill checks are low enough that a proficiency and a 12-13 intelligence can cover most characters' bases.
>>
File: file.png (2MB, 700x1680px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
2MB, 700x1680px
blog time:
today my players learned an important set of lessons
the first lesson, was that not all encounters are to be killed.
some are merely to be survived.
the second lesson, was to pay attention to your teammates and what they say. not doing so is lethal.
the third lesson, is that i am not a forgiving dm. if you do something stupid in a dangerous situation with sincerity, odds are you'll suffer for it.
in this case, one of my players got eaten by a bulette. they all figured out it tracks them based on tremorsense, and shouted this to each other
and people either got off the gruond, or didn't move after causign diversions.
except for one lad, who promptly marched closer to it and shot at it. he got bitten in half and eaten, as he was a very squishy character.
but so it goes.
>>
>>54610988
>>54611134
sounds like you're both arguing that your preference is objectively better than someone else's preference.

which is a silly road to go down, so please don't make us all look at it for 50 posts.
>>
>>54611134
Literally let anybody else in your party do the talking.

There's one campaign where at level 3 the average party charisma is 16.5.
>>
>>54611165
It's not a matter of preference.

The only subjective part of this is how the DM handles things (Forcing everybody to use charisma) or if your party somehow absolutely detests charisma.
>>
>>54610798
see

>>54608486
>monkey men aren't proficient in all weapons with the thrown property. They are only proficient in attacks that involve throwing. So, attacking in melee with a handaxe doesn't count.
>>
>>54611083
I'd be okay with any of them from a lore perspective, honestly. I'm playing a Firbolg so Forest is the most obvious choice, but I like the idea of going on a great journey to learn the craft, so the others all work too.

>>54611106
I guess I didn't think about savannah being grassland, but I don't think there's any of that around the sword coast.

Otherwise grassland seems to empty to be particularly interesting. But then I don't watch many nature documentaries so maybe I just don't know shit.
>>
>>54608252
You're trying to make a thrown weapon race, and I respect that, but it fixes none of the issues with throwing.
You still can't draw more than one weapon per round to throw.
You still can't apply SS or any similar feat.
You still have worse range than any other ranged attacker.
>>
>>54610754
Great thanks!
>>
>>54611263
okay, "when you throw a weapon (including improvised weapons), you add your proficiency bonus to the attack if you wouldn't have otherwise done so."

you wrote "monkey men get proficiency with weapons with the Thrown property" then "I don't want them to get proficiency with the Thrown property" so forgive me some misunderstanding.
>>
>>54611340

I was thinking of maybe adding some aspect where if the tail and one hand are both free you can treat any thrown weapon as having the ammunition property. But then wouldn't be sure if the "no disadvantage due to long range" part would need to be removed. At any rate, I see it as more a race that can more effectively start fights with a thrown weapon or throw random objects, much like how a Tabaxi's claws or a lizard's bite will never actually be their primary weapon.
>>
File: Eagle-Hunters-Project11.2.jpg (102KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
Eagle-Hunters-Project11.2.jpg
102KB, 1200x675px
>>54611311
do steppe nomads exist in forgotten realms? they'd make good grassland druids.
>>
>>54611479
The way I look at it, anybody who has any business starting fights with weapons is getting multiple attacks and likely a combat feat or two, and everybody else has xbow proficiency or magic which are both better than thrown weapons.

Throwing just got totally shafted in 5th.
>>
>>54611531
>Throwing just got totally shafted in 5th
You mean 5th put thrown weapons in their rightful place
>>
>>54611553
If by "rightful place" you mean one of the bare few trap options in 5e, then yes you are correct but also a faggot for endorsing trap options.
>>
>>54611531
I don't think throwing weapons was ever intended to be a viable primary damage dealing method. Otherwise you'd have to strap dozens and dozens of javelins or handaxes to your character. It works just fine if your barbarian needs to hit a fleeing target and is out of movement
>>
>>54611531

On the first turn, you can throw two weapons as long as one was already in your hand and you use your "use object" to draw the second one. You're probably right about it not being worth trying to make thrown weapons worth it ever though.

>>54611430
>you wrote "monkey men get proficiency with weapons with the Thrown property"

It was "monkey men get proficiency with ranged attacks using weapons with the thrown property" but point taken, your wording is still better.
>>
>>54611569
Why should thrown weapons be better than real weapons, anon?
>>
>>54611488

>do steppe nomads exist in forgotten realms?

Tuigans

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Tuigan
>>
>>54611585

But yeah, this, the primary intention was just that monkey men are slightly better at that one-off javelin or handaxe when they can't get into position, not that they build around thrown weapons.
>>
I don't usually have my PHB on me when I'm playing. Should I write out the contents of my starting pack rather than just writing "Explorer's Pack (1)", so there's no confusion?
>>
>>54611569
It's better than 2e's stupid high strength dart throwing thing where you could throw like 4 or 5 darts per round and if you rolled high enough strength you just belted out 7-10 damage per dart and it was fucking annoying as shit
>>
File: entitled_faggot.png (24KB, 569x324px) Image search: [Google]
entitled_faggot.png
24KB, 569x324px
Why are D&D players so fucking entitled?
>>
>>54611680

gonna need context
>>
>>54611663
why not write "Explorer's Pack (", the contents of the pack, ")"?
or write them out individually but mark them with an E.

>>54611680
> you are the MC
sure that's not an apocalypse world player?

humans are pretty boring though.
>>
>>54611680
(You)

Did you mean to make another "when did you realize d&d was garbage" thread? Also the DM is still part of the table and if he s not having fun the players are doing something wrong or he just doesn't like to dm
>>
>>54611663
You should probably clear that with our DM, but in our games, i find it useful to write out.
>>
/5eg/, what do you think of this homebrew? I am trying to help my chain pact warlock be a bit more inventive than just ' my familiar uses help every turn', as well as provide some more out of combat utility (player did not take voice of the chain master so i am giving it as fluff). This is for a level 6 pc.

The Chains that Bind. These scorched, black, wrought-iron chains radiate a faint heat at all times. The set contains two chains, to be worn by a master and a familiar. When worn by both master and familiar, the master gains access to the ‘Voice of the Chain Master’ invocation, and can also cast *all* spells through their familiar, as long as they are within 100 feet of each other. The familiar must use its reaction to deliver the spell, and abides by all similar rules for delivering touch spells as per the ‘find familiar’ spell. Your familiar also learns the spell ‘Bestow Curse’, and can use it once per long rest.
>>
>>54611752
It's for Adventurer's League, so I'm thinking more "this is something nobody will be offended by" because fuck having that argument

>>54611730
I think I'll do the () thing. Thanks.
>>
File: butthurt_jackass.png (28KB, 621x421px) Image search: [Google]
butthurt_jackass.png
28KB, 621x421px
Why is /5eg/ so constantly butthurt?
>>
Master of Hexes
Starting at 14th level, you can use your Hexblade’s Curse again without resting, but when you apply it to a new target, the curse immediately ends on the previous target.

Does this mean you can essentially use Hexblade Curse twice per short rest, since it uses the phrase "Again.", or can you now use it as many times as you'd like whenever you spend the bonus action to do so.
>>
File: mega nigger.png (226KB, 834x643px) Image search: [Google]
mega nigger.png
226KB, 834x643px
Why is anon such a passive aggressive shitheel?
>>
>>54611826
Twice
>>
File: projecting_crybaby.png (233KB, 887x739px) Image search: [Google]
projecting_crybaby.png
233KB, 887x739px
Why is the OP so easy to antagonize?
>>
>>54611773
3/4 warlock familiars give the warlock magic resistance if he stands near it, 3/4 of them make incredible scouts, and sprites apparently have at-will invisibility. I don't think you're looking at an ability that needs a buff, I think you're looking at a player who needs to understand how many places a spider can get into and the value of a pseudodragon that can scout ahead for a full fucking mile.
>>
>>54611879
But after you've used it twice, you still have the ability "You can use your Hexblade's curse again.". It seems like a pretty shitty archtype capstone to do your thing an extra time rather than do your key ability freely. Goolock get a permanent dominate person, Infernal and Raven get a massive damage spike.

If it was only twice, wouldn't it specify twice? Again is such stupid fucking wording but that's 5E in a nutshell.
>>
>>54611680
Anyone who thinks it is the DMs job to make the game fun is a twat. The DM is just another player, it is every player's job to make the game fun.
>>
What combos best with a grave clerics divinity? Paladin, rogues and spellcasters?
>>
>>54612013
unfortunately it can be reasonably interpreted either way and it's up to you and your DM to decide which.

though using untested pre-release content and complaining it's not clear enough is like firing a gun at your boot then complaining your foot's got a bullet in it.
>>
>>54612013
>You can use your Hexblade's curse again.
Without resting. There's no ambiguity here. You can use it again before you need to rest and regain your uses of the ability.
>>
How would you translate 4e's minion enemy type into 5e?
>>
>>54611960
>give the warlock magic resistance
Mommy Mearls says they do not.
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/08/10/do-chain-pact-warlocks-get-the-familiars-magic-resistance/
>>
>>54612083
Paladins and Rogues are pretty good, Bladelocks before Warlock-Smite got nerfed into oblivion, and yeah, Wizards are pretty potent since Magic Missile is such a reliable good damage hit.

Evoker Wizard for empowered magic missiles, dealing a reliable 86-140 Damage for a 5th level spell slot.

Loremaster Wizards can dish out 56-350 damage for a 5th level slot empowered with a 1st level slot.

Anyone with a Wand of Magic Missile does pretty well since it's a hundred percent reliable 36-90 Damage to empty the wand.

And of course, Nuclear druid memes but no DM will let that fly, where Evoker Wiz might.
>>
>>54612168
Mhm, makes sense.

Still two uses is pretty weak but I guess it is for focusing down spooky looking targets.
>>
>>54612212
Daddy Crawford disagrees, but he is an old semi-senile rule of cool wanker who probably doesn't even hate Critical Role.
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/09/25/the-warlock-familiar-has-all-monster-manual-stats/
>>
>>54612212
That's fucking stupid

>>54612292
That's not even answering the same question
>>
>>54611960
those are largely passive abilities, and invisible scouting is a no-brainer. i am looking to continually add more depth to the familiar, and this is largely in combat.
>>
>>54612256
Shouldn't the channel divinity only apply to one magic missile? "The vulnerability applies only to the first time that source inflicts damage, and then ends."
>>
>>54612356

don't magic missiles all hit at the same time? Otherwise you're right

>>54612083

Be a grave cleric, approach target in a friendly manner, shake hands, apply channel divinity, Assassin Rogue friend hidden nearby hits target with a sneak attack
>>
>>54612355
but the scouting and out-of-combat utility is the entire point of the chain. if your player wanted combat power he should have picked the blade, and if he wanted combat versatility he probably shouldn't have picked warlock.

besides, combine familiars with all the fuckery items in 5e and you have plenty of ways to be more interesting in combat. have them spread caltrops around places you can't safely reach, get them to drop sneezing powder on people's heads, whatever.

handing out a ton of free shit isn't the solution.
>>
>>54612356
Magic Missile damage is only rolled once, and then applied for each hit. That's why it works - it's not like, say, Eldritch Blast where it hits them with multiple beams which use separate damage rolls.
>>
>>54612292
>Familiars get their monster manual traits such as poison attacks, this means they also have variant rules written in a monster manual which is a seperate book to the phb about familiars making a pact with you rather than using find familiar to make a pact!

Yeah, nice try, you're not fooling fucking everyone.
Give us some proper evidence that it's RAI, because I'm pretty sure Crawford disagrees. Unfortunately though I can only find Mearls' post right now.
>>
>>54612542
>warlocks
>combat power
>>
>Kenku gets advantage to produce forgeries or duplicates of existing objects
Which skill(s) would govern these things? Sleight of hand?
>>
>>54611826
Level 1
You can’t use this feature again until you finish
a short or long rest.
Level 14
you can use your
Hexblade’s Curse again without resting

It's as many times as you want. If they meant one more time, they'd say one more time. If they meant twice, they'd say twice (see Action Surge for examples.)
>>
>>54612955
forgery kit
>>
File: goblins.jpg (72KB, 491x308px) Image search: [Google]
goblins.jpg
72KB, 491x308px
Godammit /tg/ I can't stop playing as goblinoids. They're my favorite kind of monster and any time I'm afforded the chance to play as one, whether it be a goblin, bugbear, or hobgoblin, I pounce on it. The reason is mostly aesthetic (I love the shrimpy, impy, big-ear big-grin look) but I also love the "crafty fuckers from the gutter" racial lore.

I've played a goblin barbarian, a goblin warlock, a goblin wizard, a hobgoblin paladin, and a bugbear rogue.

Does anyone else have that race/those races they can't help but gravitate towards?
>>
>>54613028
Human because playing other races is for weebs
>>
>>54613028
Dwarf, Orc, Half-Orc, thicc fem halflings
>>
>>54613028
Lizardmen type things.
>>
>>54612846
>1d10+CHA+Hex damage with free multiattack due to cantrip scaling
>>
Rolled 1, 3, 1, 6, 3, 6, 6, 6, 1, 3, 2, 5, 1, 2, 3, 1 + 10 = 60 (16d6 + 10)

>>54612524

Bugbear Assassin Rogue surprise attacking a target that has just been marked for death by a Death Cleric, using a Sharpshooter Shot fired from a shortbow

take whatever I roll, add DEX mod, and then double it
>>
>>54613184

forgot to mention,9th level
>>
>Munchkin on the party takes GWM
>tfw I just throw high AC enemies at him
>>
i'm going to be playing my first ever dnd game next week. any tips?
>>
>>54613170
>paladins
>druids

Y'know, for some real dps
>>
>>54613269
Have fun
>>
>>54613269
Post character sheet
>>
>>54613028
I have to stop myself from making every character a Human. They're just so damn versatile! I tend towards Gnolls for monstrous races.
>>
>>54613284
Warlocks don't have to be the best to be good
>>
>>54613028
>>54613297

I like Lizardfolk and kobolds, but I'm a faggot who often will pick elves for the mechanical benefits. Dragonborn are an ok second choice after lizardfolk, I guess
>>
>>54609974
I love side initiative. It is the standard old style of initiative. It allows people to coordinate better.
>>
>>54613319
But if you're not winning on the dps meter how do you know if you're having fun?

>>54613269
Read the PHB. Know your character and know your options. Constantly be thinking about what you want to do. Nothing brings a game to a screeching halt like some guy sitting there for 5 minutes trying to figure out what he wants to do.
>>
>>54613292
i'm still reading the players handbook at the moment, not sure what character i want to play. i'm leaning towards a rogue of some type
>>
>>54613269
Bully the guy that plays as the chaotic neutral drow rogue that steals from the party. It'll be fun and it's not like anyone will stop you
>>
>>54612542
what would you suggest for a chain-themed item then? im bored by pact keeper and would like to give them something that modifies chain abilities for a unique feel
>>
>>54613361
Cool! Rogues can be really fun to play, and if everything goes wrong you're the most able to hide in a corner and sneak out the back door and live to tell the tale.

What race do you think would be fun to play as?
>>
>>54613409
either half elf or human, the thought of playing as one of the smaller races does not really appeal to me
>>
>>54613472
They're the best when you have polymorph/wildshape/etc at your disposal. Nobody ever expects a halfling bear.
>>
>>54613409
>Rogues can be really fun to play, and if everything goes wrong you're the most able to hide in a corner and sneak out the back door and live to tell the tale.
I almost did that in the first time I played. DM ran LMoP and 3 out of our 6 party members died to that cursed bugbear.
>>
>>54613472
Great! You can use an online resource like D&D Beyond or Orcpub if you need help building your character. Or just ask!
>>
>>54613746
Lost Mine of Phandelver? The starter set campaign?

Oh yeah, I ran a party of complete newbies through that. Mixing up which dice were which new.

That whole starter set package is designed to teach you how to play D&D, and that bugbear encounter teaches the DM how to fudge rolls I'm pretty sure. A bugbear, two goblins, and a wolf is almost 2 CR, isn't it?
>>
>>54613472
Elves are fun picks for rogue.

Here are some quick run downs:

Thieves eventually get the ability to use all magic items and can use most items as a bonus action on their turn

Assassins get nasty sneak attacks

Arcane Tricksters get super-powered mage hand and a few neat magic tricks
>>
>>54613850
Oh man, high elf rogue could be neat. Take Prestidigitation as your cantrip and turn off candles and stuff to make it easier to sneak about.
>>
>>54613850
>Thieves eventually get the ability to use all magic items
I find the issues with this are;
>5e games aren't very magic item heavy, but I guess it varies from DM to DM
>Most magic items can either be used by everyone, or used by enough classes that someone else will want it
>Most things that are specific to class/race/level, a rogue won't want to use
The most use I ever got out of it was casting a few scrolls, and the game went on till level 19
>>
>>54613842
>A bugbear, two goblins, and a wolf is almost 2 CR, isn't it?
That I don't know, but it's a hard encounter for level 2 party and more than deadly (700/400) for a level 1 party. He wrecked us. Our wounded barbarian went down in a single hit, followed by the monk, and then the ranger was insta-killed with a crit. RIP Ranger the ranger, Unnamed monk and George the barbarian. It was definitely exhilarating though, got me hooked on D&D.

And yeah, the DM rolled openly.
>>
>>54613945
Well you should probably just bring it up with your DM in that case.

Just say "hey would it be cool if you added a few more magical items like wands that I could use? I don't want anything in particular, but I was thinking it would be a lot of fun to try out one of these class features that I don't get to use very often."

Design-wise it's a very interesting mechanic, but it sucks that your DM wouldn't throw you a bone.
>>
Thoughts on giving my players control of a second PC each during the final battle in Rise of Tiamat?
>>
Gming in two weeks, haven't played anything D&D since AD&D. Read the rules and it seem fast and gamey, which sounds great.

I bought Storm Kings Thunder to run as well as the following books

>DM Guide
>Players Handbook
>Monster Manual
>Volo's guide to monsters

Is there anything I should be aware of? Should i get the sword Coast Adventurers Guide too? Any tips for not fucking up?

So far I just know about one character, Aasimar Paladin with Oath of the Ancients.
>>
File: 1396045613035.jpg (9KB, 250x198px) Image search: [Google]
1396045613035.jpg
9KB, 250x198px
>Just finished session, am playing in a game run by a friend of one of my players.
>Supposed to be a "sandbox" style campaign, in truth travel is several random encounter rolls, and we are effectively trapped in the DM's "massive story element" that involves every large adventuring guild, the paladins, the nobility, the wizard's tower, EVERYBODY being run by some non-good scheming BBEG
>Woods are full of Evil Dead
>Desert surrounding this "Oasis of Nations" surrounded by Evil Dead
>Evil Dead teleported in by spellcasters to assassinate various personages
>Entire plot revolves around the one player who is the DM's good pal.
>He's making various alliances with Elder Brains, Liches, Bastard claimants to the human throne, whoever.
>We find out through plot that Wee Jas has smacked around all of the other Gods, and all the dead souls go to Wee Jas Hell. Paladins have been covering this up to preserve face (?) and "honor killing" anyone who spreads word of this catastrophic development (no, really).
>Elder Brain unleashed by buddy the Wizard has taken over entire Dwarven kingdom, or is at least advising their King to start a'conquering the human nations, while they are being attacked by Evil Dead of Wee Jas.
>Elven Kingdom apparently gives no fucks
>All this while entire region is surrounded on the outside by Evil Dead
>We get summoned to the Human King, who has recently survived Evil Dead being teleported into his secret generals meeting.
>We expect some decent mission (we are 7th level)
>After hours of "travelling" we arrive.
>Lol nope, no mission, just wanted to pass more story info to Buddy Wizard, concerning his Dad being captured by Wee Jas people. You may now go.
>Welp
>>
So I want to make a character whose body mutates/evolves to suit the situation. Kind of like the powers of the Guyver or that emo guy from the Prototype games.

I figured the Mystic Immortal Disciplines would be best suited for this. Though I don't know if the build really requires Order of the Immortal. Seems like it would be very MAD. Needing high Dex and Con for AC, then high Int for saving throws, and then high Strength for attacks with things like Bestial Form.

Was thinking of just using Avatar Order, get Halfplate + Shield for decent AC, boost with Bestial Form's Thick Hide and Iron Durability's Focus if need be.

I dont really see anything in Order of the Immortal besides bonus HP and Temp HP per turn to make it worthwhile when I can just grab Avatar and boost AC via armour.

And I can just swap out the bonus Disciplines for Avatar at levels 2 and 3, which means I don't really lose anything in the long-term.

Was thinking of Hobgoblin for Con, Int, and Martial Weapons, just as backup for when I run out of Psi-points for Claw or Acid attacks.
>>
>>54614130
Can't you just bypass most of this by going Shifter from Eberron and Wild mage?
>>
What's the consensus on Raven Queen warlock?
>>
>>54614086
>Ok, we'll continue our search to find a Wizard capable of tracing their teleports, on the hopeless idea that we can stop them, and their regular teleport attacks on the party
>Find old Orc Wizard (lel) who will travel to suspicious site that seemed connected to teleports
>We fight some tough stuff, he sets up a portal ritual from area recently used by Wee Jas guys
>We leap through portal
>instantly ravaged by pain and incapacitation, no, better yet party will now lose consciousness
>Wake up in individual cells, no gear
>Oh lel, now here's a classic trope
>Iron bars, heavy stone walls.
>Kobold Rogue can detect nothing, Doors don't even HAVE locks, held closed by plot
>Magic doesn't work
>My Lizardman moon Druid can't turn into small lizard and crawl out of bars, because no abilities work.
>Skeleton brings up regular slop, passing bucket between bars
>Kobold, try to slip through bars!
>Lol nope, it's a tiny slop bucket
>Party tries various unlikely methods to escape
>Becomes obvious there is no escape
>Wee Jas Warlock girl shows up to free us, tells us Wee Jas is out doing shit and won't be back for a while
>Won't answer a single pertinent question, even give name
>Ok then
>>
>>54614040
Here's my suggestion:

Read the base rules one more time, very carefully.
Read the 'using ability scores' section of the PHB very carefully.
Familiarize yourself with the classes your players have picked, if possible.
Read the combat rules again, very carefully.

Those are probably the things that trip up DM's the most.
>>
>>54614040
check out the enhancing storm kings thunder thread and power scores guide to skt
>>
>>54614040
SCAG's not essential if you're not running games in the Realms. There's a few spells in there a player might want but you don't need the book for that.
>>
>>54614237
Thanks. i wrote up what I read for my own "freeform" game master screen. It may be ugly, but writing stuff down always helps me remember.

>>54614249
Thanks, I'll do that. Would you personally say it is a good pick to start off? My FLGS has a barely used Curse of Strahd lying around that i could get at a discount, but I'm unsure about creating dread with words effectively.

>>54614257
Storm Kings Thunder is set in the Realms from what I read, that's why I asked. I'll wait with the SCAG though if it's just more class and race options since I feel I already have quite some choice to offer from the books I bought.
>>
>>54608167
The setting sounds fun, but I have to echo what's been recommended already: stick with the generic D&D stuff for the sake of the newer players and yourself. Why go through the trouble of making up something entirely new for people who've never played? If they like the game, then go ham. For now: starter kit.

But yeah, I would totally play that setting.

>>54608636
I welcome "hurr I'm dumb" one-dimensional barbarians. Hell, I wouldn't mind an entire party of barbarians.

Also, I've said this before, but I really want some official Dark Sun 5e material.
>>
>>54614182
>Wild Mage
You mean Wild Magic Sorcerer? What does that really get me?
I basically want to Digivolve for certain situations.
>>
>>54614205
>Tells us that Buddy Wizard's Dad and Old Orc are on top floor. Absent PC is on level above us.
>If we free any of the numerous prisoners, it will summon enemies.
>We are given a few daggers and spellcastiing foci, no other gear.
>I Dino up and we fight up a couple of levels, look for the absent Paladin.
>Find other prisoners recently captured, desperate to escape, promise them we will help them when we've geared up and secured route out. DM has them roll insight to tell if we are lying, they roll badly.
>Find Paladin and Orc
>Fight some Warlocks and Skellies in a long and reasonably entertaining fight
>Final level, big monster killed by NPC "Ally" Warlock Girl
>We barge in, see Buddy Wizard's Paladin-Dad in cage, his Own Evil Clone talking to him. Rogue under Invisibility spell crit backstabs him, which he fixes with Lay on Hands, fight ensues.
>robed Zombie scribes (?) start scribing portals on walls.
>Wall of Fire from me and Buddy Wizard's spells thwart 3 of 4 of them.
>I wade into battle with Evil Ash as a Titanboa
>Last successful zombie scribe open portal that spills out a fuckton of the DM's favorite mini, "Zombies from this board game".
>Paladin initially raping us badly, now it's time to start fudging dice/actions to let us do better.
>Zombies still raping me, Bard down, Rogue still undergeared, Wizard almost drained.
>Passes note to Buddy Wizard, advising him to free Paladin Dad, who was just described as being in bad shape.
>He's freed with key-rune, goes into full "Like a Boss" mode, annihilating zombies just as my onion Druid goes down. Kicks the Evil Dad's ass.
>Party is worn to shit, out of spells, but gear recovered.
>Orc Wizard is setting up escape portal
>Bard looks to me, we both have same idea
>"we are going back down to rescue those guys"
>What?
>Rogue says she is going too
>DM looks aggravated, after having to fudge fight he overbalanced, knowing we are weak
>>
File: 1386309979480.jpg (58KB, 321x191px) Image search: [Google]
1386309979480.jpg
58KB, 321x191px
>>54614353
>Buddy Wizard stays with Daddy sensing a TPK.
>We go down, free the prisoners, evil Dead arrive.
>We dispatch them with good tactics, on our last legs.
>NOW we leave.
Session ends.
So damn tired of fighting upscaled Zombs and Skeletons and Warlocks, session after session.
Getting weary of being drug into Mega-Plots that we can't really influence.
Can't believe the DM's plan was for us to be shepherded through the situation by NPCs.
>>
>>54614348
>>54614348
>You mean Wild Magic Sorcerer? What does that really get me?
Shenanigans. Shifter kinda takes care of your digivolving.
Other than that your Mystic Immortal Disciplines sure sound like a working concept, but I personally find it too complicated.
>I basically want to Digivolve for certain situations.
Moon Circle Druid wild shape in addition to Shifter powers? Use magics to buff you accordingly.
>>
>>54612292
The fuck's Critical Role?
>>
>>54614327
SCAG doesn't really add much in the way of races or class options, it mostly reflavors them slightly for Forgotten Realms.
There's a few decent archetypes though.
It's mainly a primer for the various areas in that area of Forgotten Realms.
Storm King's Thunder takes place pretty much exclusively in that region, so it would be handy on that level.
>>
>>54614440
https://www.google.com/search?q=critical+role&oq=critical+role
>>
>>54614462
I meant more it being brought up here every thread for a post or three
>>
Building an Internet based Sherlock Holmes esque rogue.

What are some actions I can do to make the most out of a high Int in as many situations as possible?
>>
>>54614491
Well it's pretty popular. Critical Role managed to market 5e better than WotC has managed in a long-ass time.

It's been here for a while, you probably just started noticing it lately.
>>
>>54614530
Inquisitive Rogue is a good start if you are using UA.
>>
>>54614556

I am using that. I meant like what are some creative ways to use Int in this edition, because it's the most underused state in regards to making regular checks and saves.
>>
>>54614540
Is it any good?
>>
>>54614587
Arcane Trickster might give you a bit more bang for buck since you're a quarter wizard
>>
>>54614592
Depends on your taste. It's pretty heavy on the plot, it's not a podcast with editing so there's a lot of downtime and banter. The characters are the biggest draw so if you end up not liking them, you probably won't enjoy it.

It's not my cup of tea, but I think that getting people interesting in tabletop gaming as a whole is a good thing, so I don't have any strong feelings one way or another about the whole thing.

I will say that I think Matt's a really good DM, and he knows how to make something that his players enjoy.
>>
>>54614587
Ask more questions pertaining to history, I like to use history as both a tool to learn more about the world I'm in and also learn about exploits of secrets that may have been in an old book. Investigate the lands constantly look at strange objects in the room or anything that stands out.

The best way to use Intelligence is by asking questions to see if your character knows it.
>>
>>54608384
Basically, think of it like this: Not every adventure needs to have world-spanning consequences. Maybe there's some wizards doing illegal fantasy battlebots with golems, and it's keeping up the neighbors. Maybe there's a Gelatinous Cube prowling the backalleys at night and eating the vagrants. Maybe the Thief's Guild is kidnapping wizards to protect their hideouts from scrying. Focus on the smaller stuff, and keep the campaign to one city.
>>
>>54614630
I'll check it out thanks
Not like I have much better things to do
>>
what's the best way to multiclass paladin and hexblade warlock?
>>
>>54614673
Well it's like 250 hours of content at this point, so you've got plenty to catch up on.
>>
>>54614687
Follow up with this Stone Sorceror Hexblade Warlock
>>
Not sure exactly how Stirges work. Their attack says that on a hit they attach themselves to the target. Since it doesn't call it a grapple, you can't grapple a creature more than one size larger than you, and Stirges are tiny creatures I'm assuming it doesn't follow any grapple rules. It also says anyone can remove the Stirge with an action, not mentioning any rolls or checks.

Does this mean spending an action to remove a stirge is automatically successful, and that there are no penalties to having a stirge on you other than the damage you take on that stirge's next turn? The MM entry says the stirge detaches after draining 10 hit points but the attack itself just says it deals damage when attached, not that it drains them.
>>
>>54614327
SKT is a good start. it has both linear and sandbox sections and some good plot points, though it needs some work to make it perfect, which gives you some freedom as well.
>>
>>54614687
ancients/fey or vengeance/fiend are the best combinations for pal/lock
>>
Is fiscally unfeasible to have a fuckton of adventure modules like back in Basic/Advanced?
>>
>>54614753
Removing a stirge is automatically successful, yes. The thing is the size of a bat so there's no penalties to having one on you but the damage. It detaches itself after dealing 10 damage with its Blood Drain attack.
>>
>>54614791
Depends on what you consider unfeasible. Each adventure module is between 20 and 40 bucks and there's 6 or 7 of them out now.
>>
>>54614849
before they'd be paperback and much shorter like 40 pages for the single on off adventures rather than the more campaign like aspects they have
of course those existed too but from my understanding they were sold by issues then often rerealsed in volumes like D-1 through D-9 where D was for Dragonlance
>>
>>54613028
Tieflings, mostly. I think their lore is pretty neat, especially since they kept most of the 4e "scions of a fallen empire as well as sometimes devilish descendants," angle.
>>
File: 1453687414439.jpg (60KB, 960x286px) Image search: [Google]
1453687414439.jpg
60KB, 960x286px
>>54608076
5e Alternate class paradigms (ie. restricting certain classes, changing certain classes, or just limiting classes to the basic 4: cleric, fighter, rogue, wizard), is it always an inevitably bad idea or can D&D 5e facilitate alternate ways to represent class?

What are the most important things to consider if one is to go ahead with it anyway, even if only as a game design excercise?

Pic kind of unrelated
>>
How does truesight and Meld int Stone interact? Does the truesight allow you to detect that someone is hiding in the stone?
>>
>>54615414
>A creature with truesight can, out to a specific range, see in normal and magical darkness, see invisible creatures and objects, automatically detect visual illusions and succeed on saving throws against them, and perceives the original form of a shapechanger or a creature that is transformed by magic

I believe "creature transformed by magic" applies here.
>>
The person name fagging as c0re isn't me by the way. I've been super busy and have had zero time to come here to the thread so anyone using my name is a fake.
>>
>>54615593
literally what
literally who
why do you think it matters
namefags are all the same
fags
>>
>>54615593
Disregard I suck cocks.
>>
File: Dragonborn 11.jpg (230KB, 885x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Dragonborn 11.jpg
230KB, 885x1000px
https://youtu.be/3v2_JDz2Di0
Hmmm~
>>
>>54615661
Can you imagine the levels of butt hurt someone has to be to spend their time ironically shit posting under someone else's name

Really makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside knowing someone thinks about me so much they go out of their way to do this. It makes me feel important and popular.
>>
>>54615715
>Noises of dicksucking as this impersonator tries to start a fight.
Been a busy month 5eg. What is the haps?
>>
>>54615715
You're really not.
Also fuck off tripfag.
>>
>>54615715
were all c0re here tripfag
why dont you go home and be a family man
>>
>>54615715
you're in c0re country, boy, you best run along now.
>>
File: feelsgood.png (6KB, 765x82px) Image search: [Google]
feelsgood.png
6KB, 765x82px
>>54615759
>>54615791
>>54615829
smirk
>>
Who is c0re anyway?
>>
>>54615864
im just your average 5eger except i make the best homebrew
i have a hot ass wife who cooks my meals youd be jealous of
i dont masturbate to lolis
i regularly try to get nudes from traps in the 5eg discord
and i spend so much time picking up after my retarded child i plagiarize adventures
im just any normal d&der really
>>
>>54615535
What do they look like tho? A figure crouching where stone should be? But smashing that particular bit of stone wont deal damage or force them out of it.
>>
>>54615864
I'm c0re.
>>
>>54615669
He's not wrong
>>
>>54614183
EricDraven/10
>>
File: collaborator.jpg (131KB, 288x700px) Image search: [Google]
collaborator.jpg
131KB, 288x700px
First for warlocks being a tier 1 class for fun!
>>
discord was a mistake
>>
File: A fag.png (6KB, 101x55px) Image search: [Google]
A fag.png
6KB, 101x55px
>>54615864
Some no one who thinks they're hot shit
tl;dr look at the pic.
>>
>>54615991
I'm not c0re but c0re has excellent taste in waifus.
>>
File: lander.jpg (128KB, 400x487px) Image search: [Google]
lander.jpg
128KB, 400x487px
i wanna make the bbg in my game a level 20 human fighter who's trying to wipe out all forms of magic from the world. he commands a small army but doesn't use any magic items or equipment. and i think ill use battle master.

with that in mind, exactly how many attacks can he make a turn if he only two handed a longsword? i think he gets 3 because of the extra attack. but im confused about the action surge. can he take 2 actions a turn to make 6 attacks a round?
>>
Do you play ambient music during your sessions /tg/?
>>
>>54616023
I actually have shit taste in waifus. I'm also a terrible father.
>>
File: Hobgoblin spear holder.png (291KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Hobgoblin spear holder.png
291KB, 1000x1000px
>>54616161
A level 20 fighter has 4 attacks. With Action Surge, you have a grand total of 8 attacks in a single round.

Also, read the book.
>>
>>54616197
fuck you im a fantastic dad
i got my kid a cage and everything so she can only sling her shit a few feet while guests are over
>>
>>54616175
Dungeon synth.
https://fief.bandcamp.com/album/i
https://fief.bandcamp.com/album/ii
https://oldenhelm.bandcamp.com/album/enchantments-of-yore-compilation
https://sequesteredkeep.bandcamp.com/album/wandering-far
>>
>>54614959
if I wanted 4 classes only I'd play one of those super crappy chinese/korean mmos.
>>
>>54616228
>>54616197
I'm Nine and I think I'm so clever making fun of someone on an anoymous board so they'll never know it's me.
>>
>>54616360
Wow nine you seem like a cool guy, you should stick around forever
>>
bbg gives his lieutenants the blood of maglubiyet to empower them as they enter battle.

what does effects do you think this ichor wold have?

how about a diluted version for foot soldiers?
>>
>>54614130
If you want to play a character with superpowers other than magic, then just play the dozens of superhero systems out there.
>>
>>54616319
It's how it technically used to be. There was only four "overclasses" of Rouge, Mage, Priest and Warrior. The actual classes that we know today like Fighter, Ranger, wizard, ect fell under them.

Honestly if you dealing with a very small party of players who are new to the game keeping it to a basic four it seems like a good idea.
>>
File: Nigger_8d53f4_1085089.jpg (72KB, 780x488px) Image search: [Google]
Nigger_8d53f4_1085089.jpg
72KB, 780x488px
>>54608252
>monkey man race
>>
>>54608252
double prof to any weapon type lol. just give them the ability to draw a weapon as part of a thrown attack instead of that and it's fine
>>
>>54616542
>double prof

see >>54608449
>>
so i only check these threads occasionally for the mega link with all the books in it, what's happened to it? did it get shut down or something? i was gonna play with some peeps on skype and they need the books. when did the link get removed?
>>
>>54616161
>trying to wipe out all forms of magic from the world
>doesn't use any magic items or equipment
This is silly. Firstly be careful to include several defenses to your BBEG. If you don't want him to become useless after a single Hold Person, he should have proficiency in Wisdom saves (or in all mental saves, for that matter) and you should replace Indomitable with Legendary Resistance.

Secondly, the really silly thing is there are monsters out there who can literally only be hurt by magic. If he wipes out all magic, the first lich or mummy lord that shows up will simply wreck him and his whole army, and there'll be nothing he could do about it.
>>
File: image.jpg (334KB, 798x786px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
334KB, 798x786px
>>54608076
Since since I've started including a lot of throwback rules have they got anything to introduce a proper vancian magic system?

I don't get me wrong I greatly prefer the new spell slot system having to individually prep each and every spell. But it does mean everyone is basically a discount sorcerer.

I don't know, a "scroll master" wizard variant as player option might be interesting. Not sure how it would be balance though.
>>
>>54616592
Did you look in the OP?
>>
How would you rule Mystic Animate Weapon discipline power when...

1) Enemy is prone but the mystic is 15 feet away. Will it be advantage or disadvantage?

2) The mystic use brute force power to push enemy 10 feet away from him while he is 15 feet away.
>>
>>54616617
>Secondly, the really silly thing is there are monsters out there who can literally only be hurt by magic. If he wipes out all magic, the first lich or mummy lord that shows up will simply wreck him and his whole army, and there'll be nothing he could do about it.

Maybe that's why he's considered a villain? for an extra twist maybe the one who convinced him to rid the world of magic and helped him achieve the means to do so is an extraplanar entity in disguise.

>If you don't want him to become useless after a single Hold Person, he should have proficiency in Wisdom saves (or in all mental saves, for that matter)

He's a fighter so by level 20 he could probably have taken all the Resilient (mental stat) feats.

Anyway, he absolutely has to have the Mage Slayer feat
>>
>>54616638
found it, thanks. when i would look for it i'd always use the mega link so I didn't even know what the trove thing was.
>>
>>54616626
>But it does mean everyone is basically a discount sorcerer.

More like sorcerers are discount sorcerers and the other casters are the deluxe versions
>>
I just realized how weird it is that frenzy has a drawback. Like, why punish the player for using the option you gave them? I would understand if there were a lot more class options that had drawbacks, but such a concept is barely nonexistent. Why did they decide this ONE feature needed to hurt you in some way to use it? "An extra attack" is nowhere near worth disadvantage on saving throws until you rest up.
>>
R8 my champion rework

>Improved Attacks: Beginning when you choose this archetype at 3rd level, your weapon attacks deal you Fighter level divided by 3 (rounded up) as extra damage

>Remarkable Athlete: Every Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution check adds your proficiency bonus even if it was already added

>Style Master: You learn every Fighting Style you already didn't know

>Superior Critical: Starting at 15th level, your weapon attacks score a critical hit on a roll of 17-20

>Survivor: At 18th level, you attain the pinnacle of resilience in battle. At the start of each of your turns, you regain 10 hit points. You don't gain this benefit if you have 0 hit points
>>
>>54616161
>Trying to wipe out magic
>the bad guy

I don't follow, anon.
>>
>>54616617
>If he wipes out all magic, the first lich or mummy lord that shows up
Mummies and liches wouldn't exist
>>
>>54616617
make him a living null magic field out to 10 feet or so. He may just be a fighter, but anyone or anything that wants to kill him will be forced to stoop to his level.
>>
So you can't read a spell scroll if the spell written on it isn't on your class list, but can you still identify what spell it is by studying the scroll over the course of a short rest like you would with any other magic item?
>>
>>54617012

how did he get an antimagic field without magic?
>>
>>54617130

Born on a naturally occuring anti-magic leyline, maybe a curse, maybe an angry or board chaos god playing tricks. Maybe he's born with it.

maybe it's maybelline
>>
>>54616790
>You learn every fighting style you already didn't know
Nigger what the fuck are you doing
>>
Why do some people act like 5e is a perfect game without any flaws? Like, I play it, I like it, but I see it's many problems. Yet those on other sites seem personally offended if you dare imply it has any problems, down to acting like base ranger was good.
>>
File: ok porunga.png (470KB, 519x446px) Image search: [Google]
ok porunga.png
470KB, 519x446px
>>54617270
>5e is a perfect game without any flaws
I agree!
>>
>>54617130
Someone made a comment that maybe he's working to further an extraplanar entities agenda without realizing it - it might be a boon applied to him.

Hell, maybe he worships the entity as a god, and views it as proof that he is on the right path when he is able to sweep aside magic.

You could even see about giving him other 'boons' as a result.
>>
File: Zarus_zpsd4dd9da1.jpg (15KB, 231x264px) Image search: [Google]
Zarus_zpsd4dd9da1.jpg
15KB, 231x264px
>>54616858
>>54616839
>>54616682
>>54616617
>>54616225
thanks for the input guys. i think i get the action surge now. so basically he can action surge twice and do 8 attacks a round before having to take a rest? also mage slayer sounds really fitting. i also wanna silver his weapon and make it a +1 masterwork to keep it a non magical weapon.

as for some context on him and the campain, i imagine him being born in a settlement that was invaded & conquered by a monstrous race. he and his family suffered much abuse under their occupation and this eventually broke him. so he started a rebellion and eventually overthrew the host. since then he & his growing militia have been liberating human settlements from invaders. he believes that magic is to chaotic and destructive of a force, and mortals shouldn't be able to handle such a corrupting power. magic is the main source of conflict in this world. as for half humans and magical intelligent creatures, he feels they are contaminated and emphasis with them as if they where ill. his ideal endgame is to find a way to take all the humans from this world to start over in a new world untouched by magic. he believes doing this will create a peaceful world because humanity will no longer have anything to fight against.

he hides his hatred towards magic. he even recruits magical races and a few spell casters in his ranks for problems like liches as the one guy mentioned, one of his two captains is a high elf eldritch knight and the other is a hulking human champion and the only other person in the know.
>>
What's more fun to play for ranged combat. Rogue or Battlemaster? Is there a good potential multi-class with the two?
>>
>>54608076
By collaborating with the other PCs off and on almost every day leading up the session to maie sure we brought all the right tools to the job and used them in precisely the right order.
Killed the boss of an 8 month long campaign in 5 rounds of combat and only one of us was incapacitated.
>>
>>54608076
We lost actually
We rallied an army to fight the undead and siege his citadel and flying pyramids but our DM had to do Army things
>>
We travelled the world acquiring powerful allies, building a fighting force to rival the heroes of legend, armed with weapons forged at the beginning of creation. Then I got the thing he wanted, told him I'd give it to him if we kept the old treaties in place and he left the world alone, and he said "no prob" and went right back to his unending war with the demons in hell.
>>
>>54617348
Of note, and I cannot recall if this was addressed or not, but I would be rather careful building an NPC as a PC. PC's are notably squishier and (generally) higher damage compared to monster design - so you can end up with a bit of a glass cannon.

Outside of that: Monster abilities usually work off recharge rates, and silvering weapons does *not* make them count as magical, it just lets them overcome resistance to certain enemies who are vulnerable to silver. So, werewolves for an example: They are resistant to 'mundane' damage unless its silvered, in which case they are affected normally. If you had a magic weapon, it would no longer be counted as mundane.

But if you attacked something that had resistance to mundane weapons and it *wasn't* weak to silver, silver wouldn't overcome resistances.

>>54617376
Rogue/Fighter 5 for extra attack is fairly popular; you can grab Battlemaster to apply to that.
>>
>>54608076
>>How did you defeat your campaign's BBEG?

>sneak up on the demi-god
>Cave in the cavern on the demi-god and make the terrain rough, make him prone, disable him
>wizard polymorphs him into a fish
>take the fish outside
>fling it 500ft+ into the air
>fish lands in a massive fire spike pit
>as it lands we have all these NPC archers fire their arrows
>the rest of us PC's use all our strongest spells focused on the impact together

>it's still alive
>though it's impaled and prone and can't do much

>just keep using high level spells and range to whittle away his HP
>>
Hey /5eg/ was thinking of making a paladin based off of Joshua Graham from NV, so I was thinking a Vengeance Paladin, but how could i incorperate his mormonism or general religion into my character, his high level of can't die, and probably importantly, which god to go with, there's lots
>>
>>54617700
>Mormonism
I dunno maybe read the book of mormon

>High level of not dying
Just lay on hands yourself whenever shit gets bad

>What god
What setting? It doesn't really matter, either.
>>
>>54617700

St. Cuthbert for everything.
>>
>>54608862
Give them a kingmaker scenario. Ultimate Campaign Guide in pathfinder (the pfsrd has this as well) will give you the rules to do so. Basically they manage a kingdom 1 week of the month and adventure for the latter 3, installing numerous lackies, minions, and NPC's to keep it from falling to shambles in their absence.

Could be fun. My players always invest in infrastructure and start building up their part of town.

Its a fun diversion away from the mainquest, and if they enjoy it more, I just make it the primary lense through which I tell the story. Or I try to anyway.
>>
File: dragon size.png (624KB, 643x551px) Image search: [Google]
dragon size.png
624KB, 643x551px
For reference. Does pic related seem to be about the right scale or should PC be bigger? PC is 6'4", dragon is ancient and gargantuan.

>>54617348
If you're still around, you might want to draw some ideas for his backstory from stuff like this
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Karsus%27s_Folly
>>
>>54617571
>demi-god
>no legendary resistances
Your DM still has much to learn.
>>
>>54608076
Gold! thanks
>>
>>54618053
That dragon is at least colossal.
5e Dragons simply do not deal out the kind of melee damage that would imply a dragon the size of a passenger jet.
>>
>>54618053
For example, that Huge Ancient Brass dragon claws for 2d6, modified further for strength.
That's about the damage inflicted by Werebear claws or Hippogriffs. That means it isn't some Kaiju.
And the "base area" of a Gargantuan monster is 20' x 20', whereas your pic shows a monster that imposes a 40' x 40' minimum.

Should probably be half as large as in the picture.
>>
File: Brass Dragon.png (488KB, 643x551px) Image search: [Google]
Brass Dragon.png
488KB, 643x551px
>>54618053
>>
File: dragon sizes.png (625KB, 700x520px) Image search: [Google]
dragon sizes.png
625KB, 700x520px
>>54618105
>>54618159
>>54618186
Ok, I think I got it right. Feels a bit weird that a human would be almost as tall as a young dragon, but figures.
>>
New thread

>>54618615
>>54618615
>>54618615
>>54618615
>>54618615
>>
>>54618290
I didn't realize dragons were so small.
Thread posts: 315
Thread images: 43

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.