[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Metal vs Plastic vs Resin Miniatures

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: polemosiln1888.jpg (46KB, 630x466px) Image search: [Google]
polemosiln1888.jpg
46KB, 630x466px
What material do you prefer the most for miniatures, and why?
>>
>>54607785
Metal<Resin<<<<<<<<<<<<Plastic
Metal has a nice weight to it, and the casts always come out better than resin, but the paint chips. Resin models require more work, in terms of bubbles and flash, but they're so much easier to convert and don't chip. Plastic is just the best though, it's cheapest, easiest to prime, easiest to glue, easiest to paint, and easiest to convert.
>>
Metal>resin>plastic>metal

Metal models have the best feel and durability but even with the high detail they reach they have problems as art pieces. Resin is all art but fragile so poor as a game piece. Plastic is the best game pieces overall but lacks detail.
>>
Plastic. Paint on metal tends to chip too much and resin is too brittle
>>
>>54607785
Modern, high-quality plastic > Metal > Resin > Normal plastic kits >>>>>>> Restic

GW's newest plastic kits look amazing, they're absurdly detailed, but they have to make all of their details BIG. That's why they're pushing larger models. Metal miniatures are better for 28mm-ish dudesmen, at least without being in 20 pieces (Which is what the Kharadun miniatures that came out recently did to make them look great)

Plastics coming out of companies like Mantic or Wargames Factory are all right, but metal and resin models are better just about every time. And nothing is as bad as the plastics that Privateer Press tries to shit out, especially since most of it is that restic bullshit that doesn't even work with plastic glue, has huge mold lines anyways, and messes up details.
>>
>>54607785
metal>resin>plastic

Well, it all depends. Bad metal (like the GW leadless white metal) can be infuriating to work with, badly cast resin is porous and plastic lacks detail and undercut in moulds. Most of these problems can be overcome with planning and quality control.

Plastic and resin are damn light and I can't help but feel that these things won't last and plastic is pretty easy to ruin with paint or mechanical stress.
>>
>>54607785
Plastic>resin>metal
Mostly because of ease of modeling.
>>
>>54608504
Oh yeah. And the metal really wants that protective varnish so that the paint won't chip. Hasn't been a major problem for me without varnish, though. Even models in foam have suffered neligible damage, easy to fix.
>>
Is there a company that still produces metal miniatures?
>>
>>54609409
Infinity is still all metal and majority of historical miniature companies still make metal
>>
>>54609409
Reaper does iirc.
>>
Each has their appeal, plastic minis generally are a lot stiffer in sculpt because of their incoherent design as multipart, but the highly customizable nature and easy convertabulity is a huge plus.metal on the other hand has more characterful sculpts generally but is harder to model, and is unsuitable for large minis.
Resin is not very good for actual game pieces, but if you want a large mini and are still too small a company for plastic, it's certainly the way to go.
It should be noted that plastic is super pricey upfront and only big companies can afford it

Basically big infantry units are best in plastic and skirmish games and heros I like in metal or resin
>>54609409
Everyone that isn't gw you mong
>>
>>54611640
Resin is also good choice for small runs.
>>
>>54609409
6MM
M
M
>>
>>54611689
So is metal.
In manufacturing terms metal and resin are really similar, although resin requires a little bit more infrastructure. Both are possible to set up in a shed or garage, and both have limited use molds.
>>
>>54611640
Wyrd only does plastics, many companies make only resin.
>>
>>54607785
Resin with weighted bases.
>>
>>54611816
I meant "the only reason someone would ask this question would be of they were only familiar with gw, or were being a snarky cunt"
>>
Plastic > resin >>>>> metal

Converting is very important to me, so it's all about ease of cutting and glueing. The only advantage I can see with metal is being able to strip and repaint, but that's it's. Weight I find can get in the way of a model's balance, and paint chips off really easily on metal.

Fuck, I prefer citadel finecast over metal. I can fix the flaws with that shitty resin, but I can fix the drawbacks of metal models
>>
>>54612224
I get where you're coming from as I'm also a very big fan of scratch building but I think metal has a really nice advantage for conversion, that being , unique ness and dynamism.

I like to base lots of minis on all the old metal men and monsters I have and it makes my minis so much more interesting
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.