[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you like your spells /tg/? >Immediate, bombastic, energetic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

How do you like your spells /tg/?
>Immediate, bombastic, energetic or more subtle?
>More vague and flexible or specific and rules-focused?
>Hermetic and weird or more elemental and functional?
>>
Depends on the setting
I know that is a bit of a meme answer at this point but it is true
>>
Power points/mp/mana point style, components for big stuff, or real easy to get if needed for small stuff.
>>
I prefer a good mix of the two. Most spellcasters fuck off to their towers/temples/groves to do mystical bullshit that seems ineffectual to non-magical folk, but in actuality they are shaping the fabric of reality to their whim. But you best believe in areas where there is constant warfare or dangerous beasts, a mage will know how to conjure volleys of flame out of thine own ass and use force magic to hit a motherfucker with another motherfucker.
>>
Small but effective.

Larger spells need larger prep time and are very costly.
>>
>>54600241

Subtle, vague, weak, and practically none-existent with the exception of a few, extremely rare, bombastic fireballs/lightning strikes/frostbolts that tax the user so heavily that they are exhausted and unable to do much for a while.

No reality-bending bullshit.
>>
Bene Gesserit magic is my favorite kind.
>>
>>54600241
I'm trying to set things up in my setting so magic is potentially dramatic and flexible in terms of effects, but requires significant preparation, resources, and time such that implementing it under pressure is usually impractical. Also, a theme should be that, in most fields, it's usually more efficient to use magic to make ordinary efforts more effective rather than do things directly through sorcery. My intention with this is to let magic be cool and have effects on the setting without invalidating people with non-magical skills, particularly combat skills.
>>
>>54600241
Highly ritualized. Shit like throwing fireballs should be reserved for the most powerful mages only.
>>
It's hard to explain but examples will do better.

Necromantic spells like asking for spirits for guidance. You make a bag full of finger bones and when you ask it a question you see the fingers pointing through the bag in a particular direction.

A protection spell would be a door frame lined with runes hidden under the frame and anyone who enters without asking is lead outside again.

To create a perfume to help you charm someone you have to know what their desires are and find ingredients that symbolize that desire.
>>
>>54600241
I like my magic specific, rules heavy and functional. I want to be able to do what I want, when I want with the magic.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.