[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rustoleum color+Primer for minis?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

So, I was at Home depot and was checking out the primers. Earlier I'd seen the WarhammerTV Video where they used a GW primer on a dreadnought and it seemed pretty easy. This color Orange would look good on my tyranids, but I'm worried it might go on too thick and I'd lose all the details.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-Painter-s-Touch-2X-12-oz-Satin-Paprika-General-Purpose-Spray-Paint-249068/100670404
>>
>>54594164
I have completely switched off GW primer and have used rustoleum and krylon for a while now, rustoleum flat black is literally identical to chaos black. Krylon is nice as well (rumor is that Kyrlon makes GW Sprays)

Personally I recommend getting Matte colors, they are much better then satin or part gloss sprays,.

if you want, take a gamble and grab a can for ceap and spray a test model, in the worst case senario you clog detail and have to strip the mini.
>>
I used a can of Rustoleum matte black spray primer, and it worked okay. I got a sandy texture on some of my minis though, even though I held it at the correct distance. The results were rather inconsistent.
>>
It works but make damn well sure, it's the actual PRIMER.
The paint+primer shit is a lie. It's just paint. Get a designated primer.
>>
>>54596159
>designated
Damm you Pavlov.
>>
>>54595751

This

I've had nothing but nice fine coats with those brands even on notoriously hard to prime Reaper Bones minis.
>>
>>54597771

Word of warning: Bones miniatures (specially older batches) can be "allergic" to certain brands of primers. Rust Oleum Ultra Cover x2 white matte is one of them. The paint never fully sets.
>>
I can speak from experience that Krylon makes a good primer. I used a flat rust-colored primer for my flesh tearers and it saved me a great deal of time. They also make a shimmering silver metallic that made my necrons faster to paint than they already have a reputation for being.
>>
>>54596159
I actually use the paint+primer a lot. The lighter colors are trash it seems, but that seems to be consistent across all paint brands and types. Matte/flat black works extremely well.
>>
>>54596159
Would you prime with something like Rust-Oleum "Ultra Cover 2X Grey Primer Spray Paint", then paint the base colour on?
>>
>>54599569
I've also had good success with the black, though I prefer Army Painter's product. The other colors, *especially* the white one have been disasters, though.
>>
>>54596159
i don't get this thign peopel always say, why is primer better? the fact that it bonds to the mini has only created problems to me, what are the advantages?
>>
>>54600671
Primer is literally just creating a surface to paint on, since the paint doesn't take well to plastic.
>>
>>54600397
I started with a spray of white Army Painter primer. It came out as literal dried specks. The same thing had happened before when I bought a TWO separate cans of Tamiya model primer. I honestly think it has more to do with the store not moving product and just letting it sit for years at a time, but since then I've literally never used a "modeling specific" spray.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.