[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MTG Modern General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 338
Thread images: 42

File: thalia.png (591KB, 622x445px) Image search: [Google]
thalia.png
591KB, 622x445px
>what are you playing?
>what are you hating?
>Guardian of Thraben or Heretical Cathar

>RESOURCES:
>Current Modern Metagame
>http://mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
>https://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern

>DATABASES:
>magiccards.info
>gatherer.wizards.com

old thread: >>54538303
>>
>>54582140
Why not both?
>>
I'm wanting to sell my staples for quick cash. Can I just pawn em off at my LGS?
>>
>>54582156
I do think that game stores buy cards, yes.
If they don't want to buy your cards, you can just go to a modern event and sell cards directly to players.
>>
>playing
KCI combo

>hating
Not too much right now. Not a fan of Death's Shadow. I expect it to be banned.

Guardian
>>
>>54582176
Alright, thanks
>>
>>54582180
no reason for shadow to be banned, dies to fatal push
>>
>>54582189
Doesn't matter

It's too warping right now. Every midrange strategy has been eclipsed by shadow. If their standards for banning are still what they were when they banned Twin then I guarantee Shadow will get axed.
>>
Does anyone know if the SCG is participating in insider trading?
>>
File: teachings.jpg (242KB, 1381x703px) Image search: [Google]
teachings.jpg
242KB, 1381x703px
>>54582140
>>what are you playing?
A version of Esper Draw-Go with Mystical Teachings, pic related. The list seems really solid, but I'm not sure if Anguished Unmaking is worth running as a Teachings target or if a 4th Cryptic would be better.

>>what are you hating?
Luck, mostly.

>>Guardian of Thraben or Heretical Cathar
Guardian is a better card, but I like the art on Cathar more.
>>
So about that Paradox Engine jank with the charge counters. Green for Stirrings and sideboard options seems taxing, how about monoblue with Whir? I'd figure might as well tap all the useless trinkets you're casting T1-3 for mana.
>>
File: 131.jpg (65KB, 312x445px)
131.jpg
65KB, 312x445px
is he /ourguy/?
>>
>>54582211
Shadow isn't warping at all though
It doesn't even place well at tournaments, Tron is much more warping in that regard
>>
>>54582211
Admittedly I doubt it. The problem with GDS (from a meta perspective) is that it's faster than traditional Jund, and the eldrazi upgrade for Tron was giving Jund a hard time.
Death Shadow decks, both GDS and DSJ, have a tough match against UW control. The problem is that UW control is a free win for Tron of really any variety.

In sum, we have DS decks that are fast but lose grindy matches, and eTron which eats grindy decks for breakfast.
There's no good option.
Either you pick something fast and race against DS (good luck), or you pick something slow for ez games against DS, and a certified loss against eTron.

If Infect were still alive, DS would have a much lower meta representation.
or
If eTron had responses, grindy decks could prey on current DS builds.
I'm hoping for no changes followed by some improved land hate tailored for control decks
instead Street Wraith will be banned and eTron will compete with Affinity for Top Dog of Modern
>>
>>54582345
>>54582357
The funny thing is that, between GP Las Vegas and SCG Atlanta, Eldrazi Tron has one top 8, and GDS has one top 8.

At the same events, Affinity placed four times, UW, Jeskai, and UB control each placed once (Control 3 total), and Hatebears placed twice.

It may be fair to say that victory is given to whoever plays something that no one is packing sideboard hate for.
We'll see what happens at GP Birmingham.
>>
File: u3IbhaJ.jpg (627KB, 3675x2175px) Image search: [Google]
u3IbhaJ.jpg
627KB, 3675x2175px
>>54582314
/ourguy/ spotted
>>
>>54582314
Only card that shuts down that draw engine is Thoughtseize, but based on the last thread TS is Hitler's lovechild with Force. I'm on the Hussar train for another couple events though I guess

>>54582357
So when can we stop calling GDS a fast deck? The most aggressive thing it does is sometimes put a 4/5 in play on turn 2, and that sure isn't meta-warping fast. Treat it like a midrange deck and I guarentee you'll play better with and against it
>>
File: ceremonous regection.png (123KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
ceremonous regection.png
123KB, 223x311px
>>54582357
>If eTron had responses, grindy decks could prey on current DS builds.
see pic related
>If Infect were still alive, DS would have a much lower meta representation.
Have you ever played infect against DS? Do you by chance know how many hand hate cards DS actually has? Here is a hint its like 12. Inquisition thought seize and collective brutality. DS shits on everything not DS with stubborn denial.

Stubborn denial needs to get hit with a ban.
>>
>>54582357
>The problem is that UW control is a free win for Tron of really any variety.
UW with Spreading Seas does ok against gTron and good against eTron.

The real problem for control decks of any kind in Modern is the hyper-aggro decks like 8whack. They go too wide for one or two paths to stop, and even if you have the turn 4 Wrath, on the draw you'll be dead before you use it, and on the play you'll die to the first thing he topdecks afterwards. Fringe decks like Taking Turns and Ad Nauseum are tough for control, too.
>>
>>54582451
>see pic
Sure is good when they chalice for 1 or play cavern

>stubborn denial needs a ban
wew
>>
>>54582461
>ad nauseum
>tough for control
Lmao
>>
Why is Affinity still called Affinity? Aside from Thoughtcast, cards with that keyword are hardly even used anymore.
>>
>>54582451
>Reject a T3 TKS or Reality Smasher
>okay
>cast another fatty T4

It's Tron. The exact difficulty of the deck is that they'll roll over your removal by continually playing huge threats that need immediate answers. A single 4-of won't change that.

I'm even stating a sub-optimal case. That could be T2 TKS into T3 Karn.

>Infect
I may not have been clear. The point of referencing Infect was that it provides a strong threat against Tron, where the current big threats to Tron are Affinity or DS. There are folks taking the Tron loss to beat out DS >>54582437 by bringing control decks.
Surely, people would take the DS loss to beat Tron with Infect as well. but I may just have a soft spot for Infect

>Stubborn Denial ban
I hope we don't end up with another subpar Blue card on the ban list.
>>
>>54582451
Agreed that the deck with 25ish discard/removal shits on infect. You're pretty high if you think stubby d (or anything for that matter) needs a ban. Grixis DS only plays 2 in the maindeck, and for good reason. It ends up as a bad force spike too often
>>
>>54582498
chances are, if he thinks stubby D needs a ban, he doesn't actually play magic
>>
>>54582140
>>what are you playing?
Desert & Taxes
>>what are you hating?
My local meta is 80% Death's Shadow and 10% storm and 10% lantern. So I'm mainly hating on Shadow Decks
>>Guardian of Thraben or Heretical Cathar
Why not both?
>>
File: purest waifu.jpg (387KB, 1728x972px) Image search: [Google]
purest waifu.jpg
387KB, 1728x972px
>>54582314
YES

>>54582140
>>what are you playing?
hussar & taxes
>>what are you hating?
thoughtseize and inquisition of kozilek. duress, despise, blackmail, raven's crime, shattered dreams, mire's toll, psychic spear, horrifying revelation, cry of contrition, appetite for brains and harsh scrutiny are all fine.

Guardian is apex waifu.
>>
>>54582517
>My local meta is 80% Death's Shadow
I maintain that this is the reason Wizards changed their MTGO data releases.

>there are still people running x4 Push and complaining they cannot kill Tasigur/Angler
>>
>>54582491
The core concept is still the same (i.e. vomiting artifacts onto the board)

Even Vintage Shops decks are looking more like a superpowered Affinity archetype these days.
>>
>>54582541
>implying that Death's Shadow isn't easy as fuck to beat
I have yet to lose to that shitty deck
>>
>>54582569
>implying netdeckers are playing it right
>>
>>54582541
If anything they didn't like how quickly Shadow rose to prominence and Grixis got tuned as the best version. I don't think it's too large a meta chunk (well maybe but not 80%) but the real issue is WotC thinks the list got solved too quickly
>>
>>54582495
>It's Tron. The exact difficulty of the deck is that they'll roll over your removal by continually playing huge threats that need immediate answers. A single 4-of won't change that.
>I'm even stating a sub-optimal case. That could be T2 TKS into T3 Karn.

Trons entire thing is play and do nothing for the first 3 turns in the fastest format. Infect shits on tron its not even close sometimes. I went 4-1 with infect last friday. Played 2 scapeshift decks, 1 dredge (lost), BW taxes and finals against tron. Playing as control you should have enough cantrips to sculpt a good hand. Tron lives off top decking and luck there is no skill involved.

>>54582498
>You're pretty high if you think stubby d (or anything for that matter) needs a ban.
DS is retarded strong right now and the mana efficiency for stubby d is way to much and it should be limited or banned. This is the only real card I can see getting hit and the whole deck doesn't just crumble to pieces.
>>
>>54582604
>the mana efficiency for stubby d is way too much
Pretty much every card on the modern banlist is banned because it does absurdly unfair things, not because it's too efficient. I can only think of maybe 5 or 6 cards that fall in the "too efficient" category, and people are talking about Jace, BBE, SFM unbans all the time despite being better than stubby. The other too-efficient cards are things like DRS and Cruise that don't belong in remotely the same ballpark as anything in Shadow decks

Plus, let's not forget that cards are allowed to be efficient if you go through the steps to enable them. There are real costs and risks associated with stubborn denial, and sometimes you die because you got greedy and put glorified force spike in your deck to be a bit more efficient than Countersquall
>>
>what are you playing?
Rackdos Burn/Discard and BU Mill
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/cranial-flush/
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/02-05-17-controlled-burn/

>what are you hating?
Nothing, currently eating most decks at my local store, Red deck wins sometimes a problem.

>Guardian of Thraben or Heretical Cathar
Guardian. I think tapped lands are really not a big deal unless you get Heretical Cathar out on the play turn 3 and even then. Guardian is more potent and out faster.
>>
Why is it I hate this game and hate that I like and play it but always want to come back to it?

This also only happens with modern, no other format interests me this way.
>>
File: 1492129730087.jpg (64KB, 456x320px) Image search: [Google]
1492129730087.jpg
64KB, 456x320px
>>54582754
I know how to fix this
>>
>>54582754
Modern has the best interactive gameplay imo, and the widest range of strategies. Legacy has a bunch of decks, of course, but when you sort blue combo decks, nonblue combo decks, and brainstorm/force shells into their piles it looks a lot smaller.

Of course that means that Modern is hard as fuck to metagame in, but it also never gets stale on a local level. At a GP I'd only consider a couple of the 15ish decks I can put together right now, but at 30ish person FNMs I can go months without repeating decks or matchups
>>
Is there a good replacement for Horizon Canopy in Death and Taxes or should I just run more Plains. Christ the thing is like $150
>>
>>54582966
basic lands are always good replacements for jewlands
>>
>>54582966
SKY HUSSAR
>>
>>54582966
You could play a couple Desert of the True, nowhere near as good though. It is kinda cute with a Scavenger Grounds if you're playing the 1-of Weathered Wayfarer to tutor it.

Probably you just want Plains though.
>>
FATAL PUSH BAN WHEN?
>>
How do you best fight Grixis Death Shadow as B/G/x? Do you just wanna fight a topdeck war? I tend to just side in more kill spells while trimming some of the weaker spells.
>>
>>54584168
I think you either need to out-grind them or attack their mana in some way.

When I play against them with Esper, I side out Cryptics to better play around Stubborn Denial, but I have other sources of CA. I don't think you can side out your Lilis and K Commands because if you don't have a way to 2 for 1 them, eventually they will kill you with the one guy you don't have removal for.
>>
>>54584168
You probably don't desu senpai. Your Abrupt Decays are dead against a lot of their threats, them delving away their graveyard is relevant against you, their Pushes are ALWAYS online, their topdecks are just as good as yours if not better. Your biggest trump in the matchup is Scavenging Ooze but it won't be fast enough to stop it raining fish and you're only running 2 tops.
>>
>tfw memeing living end player with turn 1 tormods
>>
Did WotC stop posting names in the match history or is my lgs just fucking up?
>>
>>54585181
as in when you look at the planeswalker points shit? I haven't seen names of my opponents for a few months. I thought it was just a store thing that they changed it.
>>
>>54585392
>as in when you look at the planeswalker points shit?
Yeah... I can't see opponent names at all under recent planeswalker points match history.
>>
>>54585419
Yep haven't seen it for awhile now. Interesting to know it's not just my store.
>>
>Playing
Burn
>Hating
Eldrazi Tron, always
>GoT or HC?
GoT is better but neither are very good

Got screwed out of a game last night on a rules misread, had a Grafdiggers cage out against Marvel and for some reason we had a quick discussion that it didnt work even though it does, idk it happened so quick but yeah he shouldnt have been able to cast Emrakul with Cage out. Oh well I guess. I dont think he scummed me, we actually both agreed for some reason, and then it was over.
>>
>>54582140
>Thalia will never look at your penor with delight after a long day of zombiekilling.
>>
// 61 Maindeck

// 2 Artifact
//

// 60 Maindeck
// 3 Artifact
3 Vedalken Shackles

// 12 Creature
4 Vendilion Clique
4 Mistbind Clique
4 Spellstutter Sprite

// 19 Instant
4 Mana Leak
4 Remand
4 Spell Snare
4 Cryptic Command
3 Spell Pierce

// 24 Land
4 Mutavault
3 Faerie Conclave
16 Island
1 Pendelhaven

// 1 Planeswalker
1 Jace Beleren

// 1 Sorcery
1 Ancestral Vision

// 15 Sideboard
// 1 Artifact
SB: 1 Vedalken Shackles

// 4 Creature
SB: 4 Delver of Secrets

// 2 Enchantment
SB: 2 Threads of Disloyalty

// 8 Instant
SB: 1 Remove Soul
SB: 1 Dispel
SB: 4 Ceremonious Rejection
SB: 1 Echoing Truth
SB: 1 Repeal
>>
>>54582156
They will lowball you and make it store credit. Better off listing the pricy ones on ebay and burning the rest.
>>
File: are yuo kiddeng me.jpg (24KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
are yuo kiddeng me.jpg
24KB, 400x400px
>>54587481
>61 Maindeck
>>
>>54582314

You have no idea how long I've been waiting for Sky Hussar's time to shine came around. I loved him in my old Dissension Drafts.
>>
>>54582737
That rakdos deck looks interesting af. How well does it do at fnm? What are the matchups like?
>>
>>54587481
Where is Bitterblossom?
>>
>>54587972
I have no bitterblossoms. Same for snapcasters
>>
>>54582479
It is. Unless they run Gideon of the Trials and Negates mainboard.
>>
File: Image.jpg (33KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
33KB, 223x310px
Need a janky list for modern. I'm thinking Haze of rage storm. Bunch of bushwhackers, simians, bte and priest of urabrask.
Thoughts or tech?
>>
>>54589204
play it with NivMagus Elemental
>>
>>54589324
Exiling all the copies on the stack? Or should I split it between a bunch of 1 drop haste creatures
>>
>>54582495
>T2 TKS into T3 Karn
/tg/ is so bad at magic
>>
>>54589608
>t1 urza's mine
>t2 urza's powerplant, spirit guide, spirit guide, thoughtseize monster
>t3 urza's tower, karm

wasnt hard *yawn*
>>
>>54589745
eTron doesn't run Spirit Guide
>>
>>54589745
>spirit guide
What are you smoking?
>>
>>54589899
>not playing T1 chalice
You're bad desu
>>
Haven't played in a bit, what's the deal with Sky Hussar? Some sort of combo I don't know about? Looks like it could fit in my UW Taxes deck as draw engine.
>>
>>54590188
I saw it in that Modern Oketra's Monument deck featured on mtggoldfish. I suppose it could be a decent draw engine in any kind of white weenie deck.
>>
>>54590188

It's been a draw engine in like one winning UW deck in modern and a UW deck in Legacy, so people are just going back to re-evaluate it.
>>
>>54590188
Noobs on /tg/ want to pretend that they're Greg Hatch
>>
>>54590289

who wouldn't want to be Greg Hatch?
>>
Is it me or is the meta extremely cancerous lately?
>>
File: Thought Scour_DDM.jpg (252KB, 672x936px) Image search: [Google]
Thought Scour_DDM.jpg
252KB, 672x936px
>Playing a netdecked gds for a while
>Targeting pic related on myself
Am I pro yet?
>>
>>54590941
All will be well when Urza's Tower is banned in the next update.
>>
>>54590991
if ur going to ban urza lands ban all of them.
>>
>>54591026
Banning 1 is more funny.
>>
My dad works at Magic and he told me that Mox Opal is going to be banned.
>>
>>54590970
I feel like that's the first thing you do with that deck.
>>
>>54591043
it would but it would make more sense to ban all of them
>>
>>54591058
Shit, I've been saying this for months now. Looks like us Lantern and Affinity bros better sell our vintage rainbow mox now while we still can boys.
>>
This isn't modern related specifically but unsure where else to ask this. What's the likelihood of me being screwed over by purchasing cards over eBay? I'm looking to buy some Tundras and while they are above $100 on tcgplayer I'm finding them well below that on eBay. What are the odds they are fake? Seems super sketchy to be selling them that below market value.
>>
>>54591520
>Buying ABUR duals

Unless you're taking them to a Legacy GP, just buy chinamen.
>>
>>54591549
That's my plan. I'd also rather have originals anyway because they're only ever going to go up in price and also actually moveable.
>>
>>54591520
>What's the likelihood of me being screwed over by purchasing cards over eBay?
Pretty sure eBay has buyer protection stuff. If someone sells you fakes you can do a charge back.
>>
>>54590991
>>54591026
>>54591043
>Urzalands banned
Keep dreaming
>>
>>54592465
It's not a matter of if, but when. Tron is a deck that can only get better over time as more colorless cards with huge CMCs are printed.
>>
>>54592570
Tron will take a ban when an overwhelming colorless card will be printed
And then they'll ban that card, not the lands
>>
>>54592645
>Tron will take a ban when an overwhelming colorless card will be printed
So Though-knot Seer?
>>
>>54592716
Dude just run 4 maindeck Leylines TSK is totally balanced bro xD
>>
>>54592716
>So Though-knot Seer?
Oh yea, I always forget than the worst flavor of Tron is Tier 1 right now
I don't think TKS is overwhelming, it's a 4 mana Thoughtseize
>>
>>54592748
Leylines don't deal 3 to the face nor do they cost 1 mana
I'm not touching that shit.
>>
>>
>>54593007
A generic death-shadow deck okey ...so?
>>
>>54593007
Nice Playmat
Zenbu/10
GDS is AIDS tho
>>
>>54592759
No its a thoughtseize on a 4/4 on t2. Way different my man
>>
>>54593755
Also it exiles the card permanently, Thoughtseize still allows flashback and other forms of recursion.
>>
I think im just going to take a long break from Modern, I really havent been enjoying it since Aether Revolt desu. I feel the format can be amazing, the ban list just needs to be managed better. I used to love nearly all matchups I went up against, now most are dumb roulette matchups where one of us just has it, occasional hand rape and Shadows (which I dont think is that good but fuck is it boring to play against) , and once in a blue moon a fun match. See you round Modern, when we meet again may the Tron lands be banned, and Umezawas Jitte be unbanned
>>
>>54593194
>>54593316
Bought it very cheap. Basically ripped off the guy or I got ripped off if something from it gets banned hard enough it's unplayable. But those Snaps though.
>>
>>54593840
>Jitte unbanned
I will quit magic if this ever happens, because burn will be unplayable if it ever does.
>>
>>54593873
That last part was a joke but desu i just want Tron banned. I play Burn too and Titanshift and 5 color meme Zoo
>>
>>54593915
>desu
neck yourself
>>
>>54593873
>>54593915
i want the artifact lands unbanned just to see what would happen.
>>
>>54593934
you realize Desu is a word filter right?
You're on 4chan complaining about weebs is retarded

>>54593944
I'd play em. Shrapnel blast away motherfucker
>>
>>54593944
I want Gitax Prove unbanned so I can go back to playing Travis Woo's Goblin deck.
>>
>>54593934
desu you're new aren't you?
>>
>>54593969
woop woop,

i figure they wouldn't be that bad desu, just break out stony silence or the multiple other artifact removal there is now, or just march of the machines them off the board
>>
File: Mind=Blown.png (76KB, 504x401px) Image search: [Google]
Mind=Blown.png
76KB, 504x401px
>>54593969
>you realize Desu is a word filter right?
Not that guy but I only come to /tg/ for MTG threads. What is it filtering?
>>
>>54594006
>What is it filtering?
tee bee aytch, senpai
>>
>>54594006
Pretty sure its filtering s m h (acronym for shaking my head) baka
>>
>>54594055
Nevermind I'm retarded
I'm not a cancerous nigger so I don't type shit like that anyways
>>
File: Full Retard (2).jpg (4KB, 126x105px) Image search: [Google]
Full Retard (2).jpg
4KB, 126x105px
>>54594041
>>54594055
Why would you use those acronyms in the first place?
>>
>>54594141
Ironic shitposting
They're used by retarded black people on stupid social media sites like twitter and facebook.
>>
>>54594006
>>54594141
It's 4th dimensional shitposting. tee bee aytch triggers anons so its filtered to desu which triggers other anons. The cycle continues
>>
baka desu
>>
Is there any reason why you would use effects like Swarm Intelligence, Harness the Storm, and Spellweaver Helix in any capacity together?
>>
>>54594329
desu baka senpai cuck
>>
>>54594141
normies use them all the time desu
>>
File: 126.jpg (70KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
126.jpg
70KB, 312x445px
Gatekeeper seems like a really good card in the current meta.
a T3 gatekeeper makes those pesky Turn 2 Anglers and Taisigurs cry.
And because it is a creature it doges stubborn denial.
>>
>>54594141
People started using them ironically and eventually the retards that actually use shit like this flooded the site. I for one am excited to see how much shittier this gets in a couple of years.
>>
>>54582737
>tfw you claim to fame a vexing devil after your opponent opts to sac it
>>
>>54594520
If you're running 4 Lili's maybe. But Lili is better in nearly every case where Gatekeeper is good.
>>
>>54594551

Lili doesn't dodge Stubborn Denial.
>>
>>54594740
Gatekeeper doesn't dodge Fatal Push, or Terminate, or literally any of their removal.
>>
>>54594767

None of that shit matters as much as getting the ETB effect.
>>
Ban Fetches Y/N?
>>
>>54594865
Yes

Also ban the top 100 most played cards in modern and do this every year.
>>
>>54594865
nah, just reprint the shit out of them and make them common. Anyone who says otherwise is just salty that their investment didn't pan out. Cheaper magic is better magic.
>>
>>54594892

We'd still have the problem about multi-color manabases being too good. Instead we need to print legacy-level nonbasic hate cards.
>>
>>54594911
more cards like harsh mentor would help in this case. Maybe something land-specific, but I agree. The benefit of mono-color decks has always been that they're the most consistent. There needs to be a reason to mono again.
>>
>>54594801
I mean, you're playing around a card that's only a 2-of preboard and depending on your deck may not be any more than that. It's your call, but I wouldn't play any Gatekeepers before Lili's.
>>
>>54594767
gatekeeper recurs with k command

>>54594911
i really want tec edge to be good but the 4+ lands clause is too limiting.

>>54593970
how many probes would GDS run? the list seems pretty tight
>>
Without knowing what deck you're playing it's hard to give you any solid opinions.

>>54595625
>>
>>54594879
Why wouldnt you just play Standard at that point? Eventually all good cards would be banned
>>
>>54595891
I think that's the joke.
>>
>>54594520
Big game Hunter is better
>>
Just ban Urzas Tower, Urzas Mine, Urzas Power Plant and be fucking done with it. Eldrazi Temple can stay.
>>
File: 1UjtE9j.jpg (216KB, 1920x1080px)
1UjtE9j.jpg
216KB, 1920x1080px
>no more Modern PT's
Fuck I just read about this. Is modern officially going to die out?
>>
>>54596042
If Tron isnt banned yes
>>
>>54595908
Hunter has a smaller body can't be cast as a bear, its always a 3 mana 1/1
Hunter Always kills a creature when it enters, so if the only creature with a power of 4 or more is your own he is worthless.
Gatekeeper is an edict effect so it can get around things like indestructible and hexproof.

Hunter is better in certain situations, but he isn't a tempo card like Gatekeeper is.
Gate keeper is a creature with a edict stapled to it, Hunter is a removal spell that gives you a 1/1

>>54596042
You are a year fucking late friendo
WotC is bring modern PTs back starting with Rivals of Ixilan
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/organized-play/2018s-pro-tours-and-2017s-worlds-2017-07-19
>>
>>54596127
Oh, fuck me. Nevermind then.
>>
>>54594892
You realize that won't change Modern's overall price point?

For instance, when Goblin Guide got reprinted and started to drop, it's value got eaten up by Eidolon of the Great Revel. Overall, while reprinting Goblin Guide on paper looked like it would reduce the cost of Burn, other cards adjusted to keep vendors selling cards for madstacks.

Baka
>>
>>54596252
Apples to oranges. Fetches are essential for almost every multi-base deck. It's not as if basic land's will see a massive increase because fetches/shocks got dumpstered in price. It'd be the equivalent of reprinting the entire roster for naya/boros burn in common.
>>
Whatever happened to Kozilek?
>>
>>54596513
He returned.
>>
>5 out of 8 decks in the standard PT are literally the same decks
>>
>>54597277
>standard
>>
>>54596513

nissa and chandra hit him with the spirit bomb
>>
>ban Twin
>the format becomes a linear shitfest dominated by Tron and Affinity

Really makes you think
>>
>>54597571
>Tron and Affinity
lmao what is this 2016? deaths shadow, buddy.
>>
>>54597571
>inb4 t. Twin player
I didnt play Twin and im not under the delusion that it would fix the format entirely, but Twin kept Affinity and Tron in check, it was a terrible matchup for both of them. Eye of Ugin was a great banning, and if Twin doesnt or cant come back for whatever reason then the Tron lands and unfortunately Mox Opal need to be banned. The legend rule change made Mox Opal absurd and the fast mana that both generate are nearly impossible for most fair decks to overcome. A Turn 3 Karn is nearly unbeatable for any fair deck, and difficult to beat even for the unfair stuff, and when that doesnt happen you get Reality Smashers two for oneing you for days. They also run Chalice of the Void as a hedge to lock out the decks that normally prey on them like Burn and Deaths Shadow. Honestly if Modern wasnt so pricy and if the format wasnt so roulette (even with Twin it was and remains a high variance format) I think you would see a lot more Affinity and Eldrazi Tron in top 8s of GPs , PPTQs and so on. It just happens to be that the variance of the format is high and randomly E. Tron/ Affinity will be fucked by Stony Silence or some random combo. I think those two decks are far and away the best decks though.
>>
>>54597607
Deaths Shadow fucking sucks dude. Couldnt even top 8 GP Vegas. The PPTQs ive gone to GDS didnt even make it close to the top 8.
>>
>>54597727
Please tell me, what do you play?
>>
Been out of the Modern scene for a few months. Last I played Eldrazi Tron had just sprung up and was about a week old.

What have I missed?
>>
>>54597831
Scapeshift, which also isnt that good rn
>>
>>54597991
Nothin much. Just people waiting on the Tron ban.
>>
>>54597991
Format's kind of a shitshow right now, people are bitching about shadow cards despite the fact that the deck is meh at best.

The real problem is that nothing cleanly beats Eldrazi Tron, and E-Tron murders about half of all decks.
>>
>>54598777
Triple sevens. Ban confirmed for HAPPENING.

Now...what in the list is getting banned exactly?
>>
>>54598921
The tronlands. Rip that fucking bandaid off right now.
>>
Out of 26 decks listed for E-Tron matchups on the Salvation primer there is a single bad matchup and one slightly bad. Far from hard science but for fuck's sake

The real question is what deserves a ban. Gx tron is probably fine but I won't miss that as collateral damage if Tron lands get the axe. Just leave Temple alone for the taxes decks
>>
>>54599019
Bant Eldrazi was a perfectly fine deck and I suspect people will go back to playing that if the Tronlands bite the dust instead of Temple.

G/x Tron is still annoying and cancer, with its completely extreme matchups. Either it curbstomps or gets curbstomped. It amazes me how Eye of Ugin has been the only piece of this deck hit in the bannings (and that was just collateral from Eldrazi Winter and not actually because of Tron) when the interaction with the deck is so shit tier. You better hope you have GQ + Surgical or you're going to get memed on if your deck is any slow at all.
>>
>>54599019
>>54599109
The answer is a chalice ban. Gx and Ux Tron doesn't do anything wrong and neither do Hatebear/Bant Eldrazi decks. Chalice is the card that allows Eldrazi Tron to beat its otherwise bad matchups.
>>
>>54599501

I would also like to keep using UTron to power out big dumb artifacts. I'm using Tron as intended, none of this colorless spaghetti monster and colorless spirit dragons nonsense.
>>
>>54599109
BW Eldrazi is better than Bant though.
>>
>>54600586
UTron is an Ugin deck 100% of the time and E-Tron plays 1 in the board sometimes. You sure you actually play Modern, anon?
>>
>>54600857

Nah man, I play with Spines, Trading Posts, and Possessed Portals.
>>
How is tokens right now? It's never been T1 but it can't be that bad against most T1 right now right.
>>
>>54601237
I was actually talking to a friend just a bit earlier about how Tokens seems ok right now - it falls into the pile of decks that are strong against Shadow, decent against the field in general... and absolutely fisted by Eldrazi Tron
>>
>>54601266
It doesnt even seem that bad against eldrazi tron. It's not favored, and reality smasher destroys you, but you should definitely be able to pull out a few wins.
>>
>>54594767
>often mana efficient 2 for 1 is bad
well thank you for your insight
>>
>>54601386
I play tokens online when im bored and no, etron fucks your shit up
>>
>>54587863
So far ive gone 28-2 with this deck, its a monster, at least against most of what my local store brings. lost 2 getting out clocked by another burn deck but with Claim // Fame and the Swiftspears I won the other two games.

I have to admit that with Goblin Guide, Eidolon the great revel and Monastery the deck is probably more consistent, but I like having the discard control and the wins are more satisfying

>>54594550
:^) When they dont opt to sac it the second time and you cast Fame
>>
>>54597607
>Deaths Shadow top of all the charts
>Losing constantly
>Countered by standard sideboard option

Why is it still on top this shit makes no sense to me
>>
>>54598955
it should be balanced with a new cheap land removal and surgical extraction like you're supposed to
>>
>>54601386
the problem really is that all is dust is totally fucking crazy bonkers and must be countered unless you're running affinity. Tron can just face roll you without bringing out the big boys by just wiping your board. Then the next turn they bring out the big boys anyway. You can deal with their lands by trading with your own but often that still leave you behind and they mindstone and temple out reality smashers and start playing chalices before you can get your own shit online.

Im running Rakdos Burn/Discard and that's actually been reasonably effective when ive got the turn one thoughtsieze and then just put in work with a Swiftspear and enough burns to kill turn 4 upkeep while hes still fucking around with Expedition maps
>>
File: 1501412010054.jpg (29KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
1501412010054.jpg
29KB, 223x310px
Could anyone tell me if when Athreos is on the field and a card dies it counts as going to graveyard first? According to official rules "700.4. The term dies means “is put into a graveyard from the battlefield.”", so as far as I understand when a creature dies it would first go to the graveyard and then instantly go to your hand?
If another creature has (for example) an effect "when another creature you control is put into graveyard you may put counter on this card" does his ability still activate when Athreos is summoned?
>>
What's wrong with Tron? It's fair and balanced.
>>
>>54604140
Yeah, how things work with atheros is "creature dies, goes to grave, atheros trigger, pay 3 or it goes back to hand"
>>
>>54604140
so with athreos, a creature spell that has never entered the battlefield does not trigger his effect (to my understanding of the rules). But any creature you control that has entered the battle field at some state of game checks, his ability triggers when those creatures touch the graveyard
>>
File: 1501412010055.jpg (30KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
1501412010055.jpg
30KB, 223x310px
>>54604180
Thanks, I thought so but I wasn't 100% sure.
I was thinking about making a samurai deck based around Indebted Samurai and Athreos, basically I'll just shit out shitton of cheap samurai, they die, buff Indebted Samurai, return to my hand and I summon them again, then I would combine it with Dragon Throne of Tarkir and buff all my Samurai to like 10/10.
>>
>>54604219
also to further answer your question, his ability goes on the stack.

so basically creature death is on the stack, now athreos checks if creature deaths are on the stack, if death is found ability trigger.
>>
UTron and G/x Tron did nothing wrong! Don't put them in the same bag as their retarded cousin, ETron

Ban the creatures, not the lands
>>
>>54604287
what creatures in E-Tron are broken?

TKS?
>>
>>54604301
I was going to say Chalice but it could do some collateral damages
>>
I wouldn't mind if Chalice got the ban-hammer. What a gay card.
>>
File: MTG Modern General.jpg (1MB, 3725x1040px) Image search: [Google]
MTG Modern General.jpg
1MB, 3725x1040px
Hey fa/tg/uys, do you like this pic for future modern threads?
>>
>>54604685
Put in a ravager or opal
>>
>>54604685

I'll always love how the red one is essentialy a common
>>
>>54604685
shit art for 3/5, fuck off
>>
>>54604685
I like it but
>>54604810
this
>>
>>54602333
That's awesome anon. Keep doing gods work. Permission to build a deck similar for the lolz
>>
>>54604685
I want original Snap and Bolt without flavor text.
>>
>>54602333
Like 30 matches or just games?
>>
Thoughts on solemnity angels?
Been doing fine with it online but havent tried it in paper at my lgs.
>>
>>54606837
We'd need to see a decklist because I'm pretty sure you're the only one who knows what solemnity angels means
>>
>>54606970
>>54606837
Not this dude but I've seen it before. It's a newer deck so Def post a list. I think it's really strong because it runs a card type no one sides against. However if someone sides natural state (I confuse this with naturalize all the time, but whichever destroys all enchants) you lose in grindy match ups unless you have angels out at that point.
>>
>>54606970
Cant post one right now but there is a series on youtube with a list close to my list.
>>
Other anon here, I saw this video on Solemnity Angels, pretty sure this is what he's talking about.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXEPsTIa_6Y
Seems effective.
>>
>>54604685
Throw in a ravager for affinitybros
>>
>>54607174
>>54607131
>>54607084
So basically it's like the older enchantment prison decks, but with 4-ofs for the Solemnity/Unlife lock? If it was fringe before then I'd imagine that it's at least worth trying to find a tuned list.

The deck has basically no 1-drops so I think I'd rather run Temples over Flagstones, I'm not really sure what that's giving you. There's also not as much room for Copy Enchantment anymore so I think monowhite is fine.

Other than that I'm not experienced enough with the archetype to comment.
>>
>>54604685
Get that holo stamp and reprint art shit out of here
>>
>>54602228
Did I say it was a bad card? Jesus fuck I'm just saying it's a worse card than Liliana. It may not even be good for his deck.

If he's playing Abzan/Jund I absolutely wouldn't recommend it because 3 black mana on turn 3 is harder than it seems in that deck without obsessive fetch-shocking and getting slightly lucky on land draws
>>
>>54604685
should use original snap or black man snap really, promo path, and thoughtseize
>>
>>54608208
you didn't say it was a bad card, you said it can eat removal, which is actually best case scenario for that card.
>>
>>54607626
Mad you can't use fakes for them, chinaman?
>>
>>54608487
My primary argument is against GDs, which seems to be the original case for the card, I would much rather fill up on Lili's than that card.

Lili is only hit by Stubborn Denial, and if it sticks also gets you a discard/additional or potentially eats damage.

Gatekeeper may dodge Stubborn, which is only a 2-of mainboard, but dies to every single removal they use and cannot fight any creature in their deck besides Snapcaster.
>>
>>54608529
>>54608487

Plus Lili is better against literally every other deck in the format. Gatekeeper is good but it's outclassed.

Sac effect + discard + walker - counterable >>> Uncounterable sac + 2/2 body.
>>
>>54608529
i am not saying gatekeeper is better then lili, i am saying he is not going to eat removal and you are retarded for listing it under its drawbacks.
>>
>>54582966

Play Ghost Quarter+Flagstones of Trokair combo.
>>
File: karn is love karn is life.png (2MB, 1050x590px) Image search: [Google]
karn is love karn is life.png
2MB, 1050x590px
I haven't been on /tg/ in months but it makes me happy knowing tron is still sowing so much salt here. If your deck isn't good enough to stand up to tron you deserve to get meme'd on.
>>
>>54594520

Shows up in Smallpox lists from time to time and 8 rack.
>>
>>54601237

Same as always. It's a meta deck. Beats up control and midrange but loses to combo decks and fast wide decks sometimes(Elves) and gets shit on all over by Tron(Ugin -X for 0 kills your board every time)
>>
>>54604685

Needs a Mox Opal.
>>
File: 1484710486853.jpg (37KB, 500x274px) Image search: [Google]
1484710486853.jpg
37KB, 500x274px
>>54610623
>>
>>54610581

>creature death is on the stack
>athreos checks for deaths on the stack before triggering

Just stop

Here's how it works

>criteria is both creature and athreos are on the battlefield
>athreos is alive, other creature dies. athreos triggers because of the death, the trigger goes on the stack
>creature is in graveyard when trigger resolves
>opponent can eat a bolt or give you the card back into your hand

You can kill athreos in response, but the trigger is still on the stack, so it will resolve as triggers are not tied to their sources for resolution purposes
>>
>>54611548

Oops wrong response, meant >>54604226
>>
File: Image.jpg (29KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
29KB, 223x310px
>>54610623
Say that to my face fucker not online
>>
Fetchland ban?
>>
>>54612129
Not in a million years. You want a format without fetches play pauper or standard.
>>
>Stoneforge Mystic is too strong because a turn 3 Batterskull is busted
>Tron can literally cast a turn 3 Batterskull

Really fires those neurons
>>
>>54582140
im curious, where did all the recent tron hate come from? is it because were getting Close to the ban day?
>>
>>54612996
Tron is restricted to colorless mana and having to dedicate a chunk of its deck to having land tutors. Stoneforge can be thrown into any typical midrange/control deck.
>>
>>54613075
Dude all im saying is the argument that Stoneforge is too good falls flat when Trob, if they wanted to, could cast a T3 Batterskull just like Stoneforge allows.
>>
Played my first tournament ever yesterday, friend lent me his merfolk deck

I was pretty nervous at first but everything went ok, people were really chill except for this one guy I played who seemed to lack a soul and any kind of emotion. Oh, and one guy who kept screaming while he lost to eldrazi tron and calling his opponent "shit for playing an easy deck like tron".

I managed to win 4 of 6 games and placed 11°/36 people, which I think it's alright considering I've been playing mtg for less than a month. I think I'm starting to really love this goddamn game, help me /tg/.

If you enjoyed this blog pls like and subscribe
>>
>>54613119
>help me TG
What colors do you like to play? lets start there
>>
>>54613101
Thats the ultimate problem with SFM still being banned. A T3 batterskull is pretty laughable compared to a T2 TK into T3 smasher
>>
>>54613119
You either become the guy who lacks a soul and emotions or theguy who screams while losing. Choose wisely.
>>
>>54612996

You know I can't really think of any deck that gets worse in Modern by facing an opposing deck with Stoneforge mystic tutoring up an equipment. I don't even think the win percentages of existing decks that might want it like Abzan decks will get super high or anything.
>>
>>54612996

>t3 batterskull
>card advantage if sfm gets removed
>more card advantage (as a massive threat) if she stays
>can dodge removal and cheat out again

its not as simple as "t3 batterskull is busted", stoneforge mystic is busted
>>
>>54612996
The funniest thing about Sfm is how her price spikes before each B&R announcement.

Well, atleast last time her price shot up.
>>
>>54613646
It's because she is the most obvious for an unban, other than maybe Punishing Fire.
>>
File: 20170730_200809.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170730_200809.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
I was digging through my old card box and found these super powerful "rares"

The fuck is this?
>>
>>54613698
It's almost like creatures were shit.
>>
>>54613618

In a format where decks are playing constant maindeck artifact, hand and creature destruction does in no way a turn 2 stoneforge make for a busted play. There are no Jitte's to fetch and there are no Daze's to protect her for free. A large majority of the decks as they are right now can beat a T2 stoneforge mystic fetching a Batterskull.
>>
>>54613060

It's not a recent thing. Tron will always be hated because they either lose hard or pull off complete bullshit on turn 3-4, which forces the meta to be ridiculously fast or just you lose to their massive, must-answer threats.
>>
>tfw deadguy ale is pretty much a modern deck
>but I'll never get to play it in modern
>>
>>54613920
If Wizards reprinted Wasteland and Port into Modern I would have no problems with Tron staying. Ghost Quarter is so fucking shitty unless you build around it like with Arbiter.
>>
>>54613965
But anon they can't do that think about standard! :(

I mean they don't seem to like the idea of reprinting port at all since it wasn't even in Eternal masters..
>>
>>54614023
I believe it may be on the Reserve List since it's a rare.

Wouldn't mind a functional reprint that only hit nonbasics though.
>>
>>54614063
From what I've read the set it was printed in was the first to not be on the reserved list at all. I could be wrong but it also got a judge promo reprint so there is that.
>>
>>54614063
>>54614085

Just to clarify for you two and anyone else, Rishadan Port is not on the reserve list.
>>
>>54613698
The star symbol means they're from the 1999 Starter Decks I believe. They aren't really rares.
>>
File: MTG Modern General.jpg (2MB, 4470x1040px) Image search: [Google]
MTG Modern General.jpg
2MB, 4470x1040px
Here's the new thread image for the next op.
>>
>>54614342
How about you use the good art retard
>>
FREE PREORDAIN
>>
>>54614342
Why are two out of three snapcaster mage artworks shit?
>>
>>54614468

The original isn't great either, but the main thing is that everything looks worse in the m15 border
>>
>>54614391
art is subjective buddy
>>
>>54614489
I prefer the M15 border.
>>
>>54614342
Perfect. I like the new snapcaster art more anyway.
>>
>>54614562

That is ludicrous
>>
>>54614585
>easy to see the set, card number, artist, etc.
>ludicrous
>>
>>54614342
>holofoil on 4/6
>modern border
>Modern masters art
Into the trash it goes
>>
>>54614342
Shoop the cards so that they are all from MM15!
>>
>>54614489

Do you have something against asian dudes with supersoakers?
>>
>>54610623
>he paid $1200 for a boring to play meme deck that's getting banned in a month

Shiggydiggy
>>
Will prebuilt decks ever be worth a damn?
>>
File: mtg-modern-event-deck.jpg (92KB, 596x480px) Image search: [Google]
mtg-modern-event-deck.jpg
92KB, 596x480px
>>54615012
Modern Event Deck came out of the box winning at my LGS multiple times. Meta was some blue control and goblins/red decks back then.
>>
>>54615148
Modern event deck is the best preconstructed deck but winning events out of the box is pretty embarassing for your lgs crowd
>>
>>54605895
30 matches total. so 10 games. Ive only recently got all the cards for the deck. I played another 5 or so games with this deck recently and lost to a really dank G/R Aggro deck, didn't draw my terminates and got Goyf'd pretty hard despite thoughtseizing and using inquisition he still top decked one all 3 games.
>>
>>54615148
>losing to pre-built
That's horrendous, although I have been beaten with a $30 budget deck against a $500 USD goblin burn deck
>>
>>54614585
wait, are there people who actually prefer the current border over the previous?
>>
>>54615812
People with shit taste do exist yes. Personally I prefer the old border, 8th edition was a mistake.
>>
>>54615812
white borders are disgusting and I never buy them
>>
>>54615703
I mean, once upon a time I beat a modern jund deck with the $30 graveborn precon out of the box, but game 1 he just didn't have the lotv to answer my sphinx of steel wind and game 2 crystal vein into turn 2 last rites fuck both our hands up then slam reanimate verdant force. My draw was a bit nutty both games and graveborn is far from modern legal.
>>
File: robert.png (3MB, 1325x1675px)
robert.png
3MB, 1325x1675px
stop posting sky hussar
>>
File: ZABy9XRWcTDChhe.jpg (42KB, 635x634px) Image search: [Google]
ZABy9XRWcTDChhe.jpg
42KB, 635x634px
Could mill be competitive in the modern metagame?

Im having good success with this deck locally. With a less casual sideboard I feel like it could have an easy sweep of the meta.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/cranial-flush/
>>
>>54602357
It's a spikey deck that is fun to pilot.
>>
>>54616082

Competitive? I don't think so, but viable, sure, you never know, it's never been all that far off and they keep printing cool mill stuff here and there
>>
>>54616082
I played against something like this on Xmage, though they were running Jace's Phantasm in there somewhere. Its fucking obnoxious to play against.
>>
>>54616082
>Could mill be competitive in the modern metagame?
No because Burn does your job but faster, and GDS should slaughter you because you're letting them slam fish even faster.
>>
File: tumblr_orxcoukuTb1qdezf9o1_500.png (513KB, 500x526px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_orxcoukuTb1qdezf9o1_500.png
513KB, 500x526px
>>54616277
it's cost me a lot of dosh to assemble but the look on peoples faces when you end the game on 87 life and they have no cards on turn 5 is totally worth it
>>
>>54616082

>Could mill be competitive in the modern metagame?

Sure. If you live in South East Asia. A metagame where Mill is competitive and shit like WARP WORLD ELVES shows up and the Affinity decks run Collected Company.
>>
>>54616324
Luckily I play in Australia where people don't even see the value in sideboarding half the time
>>
>>54616351

I too actually play in Australia.
>>
>>54616351
>>54616400
Yeah but do you live there?
>>
>>54616021
White borders are only good for basics so they're as easy as possible to find quickly when fetching
>>
>>54582243
In what way?
>>
>>54616784
Bumping prices of duals right before Legacy on the PT announcement. They've also done some shady stuff before big reprints. It's pretty obvious but totally legal because mtg isn't regulated like the stock market is.
>>
>>54594004
>artifact lands wouldn't be that bad

I thank every god that every human has ever believed in that /tg/ is not in R&D or in charge of bans
>>
>>54593944

>i want the artifact lands unbanned just to see what would happen.

It's called Mirrodin standard. Go look it up sometime.
>>
>>54616821
>Bumping prices of duals right before Legacy on the PT announcement. They've also done some shady stuff before big reprints. It's pretty obvious but totally legal because mtg isn't regulated like the stock market is.
There is a legal gray area there, the SEC has used VERY liberal definitions for commodities in the past. Definitions which could include a product like MTG. There's no current legal cases on a card game being treated like a commodity though, and to be honest, they really dont care about it because its a tiny market and doesnt affect a normal consumer.
>>
What's the best commander to build a ramp commander deck around?
>>
>>54617077
Wrong thread. But the right answer is Karametra
>>
>>54617077
What's the EDH general thread?

If you want to go all-in on ramp then old Omnath or Azusa I guess, otherwise anything that's green
>>
>>54617087
>>54617102
Fuck sorry guys, didn't know there was an EDH thread
>>
File: IMG_3152.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3152.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
I'm gonna do it lads.
>>
>>54617279
Two mana for 2-3 Damage, good use of resources.
>>
>>54617301
there's 20 lands so if you get a 3rd landdrop it can become 4 damage. if you ever flood it can do 5.
>>
>>54617322
Sure you know how Tribal Flames works? One damage for every basic type, number of lands doesn't matter.
>>
>Play R/W Prison
>Tron laughs at Blood Moon
>Tron laughs at Ghost Quarter
I miss Smokestack so damn much
>>
SCG Syracuse this weekend, still don't know what I'm playing. There's not a lot out there that can beat both e-tron and shadow, but I dont want to join them.
>>
>>54617401
You generally want to fetch for a blood crypt turn 1 then a sacred foundry turn 2 anyways. If your hand is nothing but Tribal Flames you'll do 3 damage per spell (not a great rate, but much like Blaze/Skullcrack/Helix it has upside). On turn 3 when you play your 3rd land, you'll be able to get a Stomping Ground or a Steam Vents and do 4 damage for 2 mana.
On the off chance you draw your basic, or 2 bloodcrypt or foundry, it may underperform, but often it's your best card.
>>
Hey guys, I just bought a playset of Verdant Catacombs for a fairly good price, and am finally about to make the jump from Stompy to something a bit more complex. I own a few BGx staples (Abrupt Decay, Inquisition, Thoughtseize, Collective Brutality, Dismember, Scooze, Tasigur, Kalitas, etc.) because I'm most likely going to end up playing Jund or Junk (I own more Jund staples). I was wondering if there's any deck you guys would suggest building in the interim, of should I just stick to Stompy until I decide? Not asking for you guys to spoonfeed me, but I'd like some advice before I continue down the rabbit-hole.

>dont 4get 2 smash day mf liek button if u woke as fuck
>>
>>54617469
>You generally want to fetch for a blood crypt turn 1 then a sacred foundry turn 2 anyways. If your hand is nothing but Tribal Flames you'll do 3 damage per spell (not a great rate, but much like Blaze/Skullcrack/Helix it has upside). On turn 3 when you play your 3rd land, you'll be able to get a Stomping Ground or a Steam Vents and do 4 damage for 2 mana.
>On the off chance you draw your basic, or 2 bloodcrypt or foundry, it may underperform, but often it's your best card.
So what you're saying is you have multiple lands in your deck that really only tap for {R} as far as the deck is concerned but you need to pay 2 life to use the turn you play them?
>>
>>54617469
Even then you're dealing more to yourself than the extra damage is worth, don't put Stomping Ground or Steam Vents in your deck

For that matter, don't put Blood Crypt there either. RW has more than deep enough of a card pool, there's no reason to take more than 3-4 from your lands in a game
>>
>>54617501
I'd say just stick to stompy or play Jund in a mostly-complete state, your call. Building into something different is just money that isn't going to Lili/Goyf
>>
>>54617504
Yes, landbase is fetches 2 foundry 2 bloodcrypt, with the extranous 1 stomping 1 vents, and a basic mountain (may go up to 2)

>3 land hand with a tribal flames
>draw another land and another flames
>turns 1-3 do stuff
>turn 4 cast both tribal flames doing 5 damage each

between flames and the bumps, flooding feelsgoodman
>>
File: sentry.jpg (32KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
sentry.jpg
32KB, 223x310px
Had no idea this card was in modern, now all I want to do is kill a reality smasher or some other big stupid thing with it.
>>
>>54617515
The reason to take damage is to deal 4 damage for 2cmc. It's a Flamerift that, more often than you'd think, does 5.

And I love Boros more than the next guy, I play it a shitton (i'm the shitposter who puts his stomping ground in the sideboard explicitely to save life)

creatureless mardu flames burn has some other things going for it.
>>
>>54617597
Modern also has 1-mana removal that doesn't get Bolted
>>
>>54617597
>block, with destroy trigger on the stack cast resto bouncing sentry
live the dream duder
>>
>>54617621
>spending a bolt/push NOT on leonin arbiter and co.
poor form
>>
File: IMG_3132.jpg (69KB, 960x959px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3132.jpg
69KB, 960x959px
>>54617515
wait
>RW has more than deep enough a card pool
oh fack im gebbing trolld :(((
>>
>>54617597
That undying/flicker brew I thought of the other day just keeps looking better.
Guess I'm gonna try it on damage.
>>
File: Bant_Eldrazi_Expectations.jpg (388KB, 1596x642px) Image search: [Google]
Bant_Eldrazi_Expectations.jpg
388KB, 1596x642px
Anyone got any spicy tech for Bant Eldrazi? I haven't played the deck in like 6+ months and I'm wondering if there's anything neato that I could try out.
>>
>>54617664
RW burn has enough playables without needing to splash for stuff like Bump
>>
File: Screenshot_20170731-011731.jpg (147KB, 708x800px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170731-011731.jpg
147KB, 708x800px
>>54617997
Urza's Tower
>>
File: Bantdrazitron.png (24KB, 707x435px) Image search: [Google]
Bantdrazitron.png
24KB, 707x435px
>>54618039
Oh, believe me, I've tried that before.
>>
>>54618022
If by enough playables you mean enough cards to run a 60 card deck with variations including and limited to; 19 or 20 lands; adding a singleton lavamancer, deflecting palm, shard volley, searing blood or 3drop in place of a helix/blaze/crack/20th land. Or the topical green splash for atarkas and/or kitty. maybe you could meme with monored hellspark/spark elementals and vexing devils.

there's very much a lack of options.
>>
>>54618196
>why can't i improve a tier 1 deck
>>
>>54582140
Just cast an Emrakul, the Promised End and then made my opponent sacrifice all his creatures to Arcbound Ravager.

I feel like my dick just got ravaged, if you know what I mean.
>>
File: IMG_3140.jpg (58KB, 584x768px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3140.jpg
58KB, 584x768px
>>54618274
see >>54617279
>>
I've been playing EDH for a while but friends wanna get into the game, and want something more traditional than commander. We're all strapped for cash, but don't wanna play something plain like pauper. We're interested in modern but with super low cost limit. Is this even going to be a fun format or am I just asking for the best of both worlds here? What would a format like this even look like?
I figured I'd post here as it's related to modern, sorry if this isn't the right thread for this.
>>
>>54618196
Explain to me why you need "options" when you have a very powerful 60 locked in with a sideboard that's strong and tunable to your local/gp meta?

Most of the time "options" just means that a tuned list hasn't been refined yet
>>
>>54582604
sturbborn denial is just a situationally better spell pierce, no chance of being banned.
>>
>>54593755
you realize it's only turn 2 because of the non-tron lands in tron right?
>>
>>54618383
Early Eldrazi are fine on their own, look at how Bant Eldrazi was good without being busted. The problem is backing them up with reliable massive Ballistas, Chalice, All is Dust, and sometimes Karn
>>
>>54618358
There's more than one way to skin a cat.
R/W is rock solid tuning-wise, but Naya with Atarkas mainboard has slightly more damage potential at the cost of a large life buffer. Mardu as well, you get 4 more lavaspikes but with a cost.

Other piles can win besides the stock R/W, and again, I do love me some 23 life total boros bolts as much as the next guy, but it's foolish to deem that particular 60 the end-all-be-all of RDW
>>
>>54618416
but it's not like the deck doesn't have bad matchups it just beats all the fair decks like tron always has.
>>
File: 1501009528013.jpg (244KB, 1280x1916px) Image search: [Google]
1501009528013.jpg
244KB, 1280x1916px
>>54618343
>but don't wanna play something plain like pauper.
>pauper
>plain
Pauper is one of the most diverse, interesting, interactive formats that exist in Magic today. It's like Legacy light but any top-tier deck can be built for like $50.
Just the thought that someone would consider Pauper "plain" is making me actually angry. Thanks for making my 'tisms flair up, you dicklick.
>>
File: unknown.png (631KB, 789x588px) Image search: [Google]
unknown.png
631KB, 789x588px
>>54618428
Definitely true, I was mostly talking about the complaint that straight RW didn't have many options to it, not Burn as a whole lacking options. A friend just 5-0'd with this list maxing on 1-mana spells. I think shaving a Charm is bad and his board is trash, but it's an interesting direction to take the deck.
>>
>>54618442
TKS, Smasher and more Chalices give it way more game against unfair decks than Gx tron ever had
>>
>>54618453
It's just my opinion, I don't enjoy playing it. I'm sorry my opinion made you and your anime wifu in the picture very upset.
>>
>>54618297
If you want your dick to become diamonds, have a Reaper King and target it with Rite of Replication with the kicker. You end up with just one reaper like before, but it gives you 25 "destroy target permanent" triggers. I can't tell you how many times I've completely cleared someone's entire board and landbase in one turn with that
>>
>>54618507
How do you define "plain"?
>>
File: IMG_3114.png (125KB, 223x311px)
IMG_3114.png
125KB, 223x311px
BTron aka Bad Tron reporting in, current shitlist:

4 Expedition Map
2 Mindstone
1 Trading Post
2 Sad Robot
2 Wurmcoil
2 Oblivion Sower
2 Thoughtseize
2 Inquisition of Kozilek
2 Collective Brutality
2 Dismember
2 Fatal Push
2 Lose Hope
2 Night's Whisper
2 Read the Bones
1 Doomfall
1 Ichorslick
2 Damnation
1 Profane Command
1 Diabolic Rev
2 Torment of Hailfire
>>
>>54618706 forgot lands
4 Urzas
4 Urzas
4 Best Urzas
10 Swamp
1 Urborg
>>
>>54618648
Personally it feels like a lot of the same cards being used. A lot of people say that there's equivalents in pauper, which I agree there are, but a lot of stuff I'm interested in isn't available. For instance, a D&T deck seems really interesting to me but it just doesn't work in pauper.

So basically it feels plain to me because I see the same stuff over and over. Maybe it's just because I play a lot of commander and my brain isn't accustomed to 60 card formats. Honestly my thoughts on pauper might get me shit, and I totally get the appeal of it, but it's just not the format for me.
>>
>>54618706
This seems really inconsistent with a lackluster top end. Does it work?
>>
>>54582140
Guardian has the cutest design, but Heretical Cathar doesn't look terrible either. I think I mostly just prefer the straight haired design.

As far as the cards go, both are pretty good. I prefer Cathar for EDH stax, Guardian for modern.
>>
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-84-50-tix-mono-black-vehicles-modern

I've been playing around with this mono black vehicle deck on the side and it feels really good, almost close to conpetitive due to several recursive threats. However i feel like there could be some improvement.
Mainly i'm thinking about adding another color. Maybe white for lingering souls and path.
Any other ideas on what cards to add? Also, are there more good recursive creatures for 1 (or 2) mana? I think gravecrawler is hard to pull of because so few zombies in the deck.
>>
>>54618442
What are e-tron's bad match up? Because it can go aggro when it needs to and chalice & TKS fuck up combo decks just enough to race them. Pretty much nothing beats it in the long game.
>>
>>54618453
>pauper
>DELVER VS. AFFINITY VS. BURN VS. STOMPY VS. TRON, THE FORMAT
>>
>>54620083
>>54620083
>>54620083

new
>>
>>54618724
While I respect your right to simply not like something, if your justification for it is you "see the same cards a lot" then everything but fluffy, casual commander is not for you.
Thread posts: 338
Thread images: 42

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.