[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fire Emblem Campaign

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: SI_WiiUVC_FireEmblem.jpg (435KB, 2000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
SI_WiiUVC_FireEmblem.jpg
435KB, 2000x1000px
What are some ways of emulating the feel of the Fire Emblem games on PnP?

I know the Green Ronin ASoIaF RPG is pretty good for making Royal Houses and games focused around intrigue between Lords and Knights, but what about dat tactical war gameplay?

What about some wargame rulesets that could be used to link a bunch of scenarios with some roleplaying and plot in between? That'd feel even more Fire Emblemy.

Sugestions on sources of inspiration for these types of stories is also welcome
>>
File: 1416546153677.jpg (78KB, 692x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1416546153677.jpg
78KB, 692x1024px
>>54581604
Literally port the mechanics straight from the games, that's all you have to do
If you're playing in-person it may be less than ideal to do all the calculations manually, plus it'll take forever, but if you have access to online macros you just need weapon/unit stats and you're more-or-less set

I ran a campaign with that method and it was the best experience I've ever had- combat was streamlined and felt just like the games, only instead of getting angry by yourself when an enemy lands a 3% crit you get to yell alongside an entire congregation of players, which I've since learned is the ultimate FE experience anybody could ask for

https://obelion13.wordpress.com/2016/08/31/fire-emblem-the-tides-of-war-v2fates-1/
There's a system that attempts to compile series classes/weapons/mechanics/etc into an easy reference, but I'm personally not a fan of its growth system and would houserule that into more series-proper rates (again, because macros make that a lot easier)

Granted, this way means anything not strictly combat is basically freeform, which may or may not fit for your group, but if you can get past that it's great
>>
>>54581604
Strike! is made for tactical combat, and has a bunch of alternate rules and subsystems that let you link together scenarios with few rolls inbetween.

It's very gamey, though, so if you would want simulationist you are better to look elsewhere.
>>
>>54581604
Currently running through a 5e homebrew alongside a separate lord thing. So far it's feeling ragtaggy but it's not terrible and the players are slowly trying to uncover the why of how the campaign started. I don't think it's all that great, considering this is just a 5e homebrew but I've wanted this for years and this is a system that's easy to pick up.
>>
>>54581604
>>>/tg/hwg/
>>
>>54582226>>54581604

Here, have a quick rundown

Books here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/a1i5mhmasq77iqm/Strike%20Books.zip?dl=0
>>
>>54582220
>access to online macros
Is this something that's already out there, or is it something that everyone would have to program up for their own character?
Have to admit, the idea of basically porting a single player video game into a multi-player tabletop experience is interesting, and I'm intrigued by the 'just get a computer to do the math for you' concept - I imagine that might make a great deal of games I've written off as 'too clunky' potentially playable.
>>
>>54581604
>What about some wargame rulesets that could be used to link a bunch of scenarios with some roleplaying and plot in between? That'd feel even more Fire Emblemy.

You are pretty much describing the evolution of D&D from Chainmail right here.
>>
>>54581604
It should be noted that "armies" in Fire Emblem are not even remotely the size of actual armies and that generally you end up saving the world with a tiny force of 20-odd guys rather then a proper military.
Fire Emblem characters are definitely of the highly heroic sort, and everyone who's played it ever can speak of at least once instance where one unit held down an entire section of a battlefield near-effortlessly fighting numbers in excess of three times their own.

I read a 5e Fire Emblem-inspired game awhile back using the optional battlefield combat rules.
>>
>>54582773
Stop shilling Strike!

Why does /tg/ keep shilling Strike!?
>>
>>54582950
>Fire Emblem
>5e
>not 4e

Why?

5e is dogshit at Fire Emblem compared to 4e.
>>
>>54581604
>What are some ways of emulating the feel of the Fire Emblem games on PnP?

Most of the feel of Fire Emblem is as much fluff as it is rules.
These things make Fire Emblem games;
>Princes, Princesses, noblefolk of all kinds are usually the heroes, Ike notwithstanding
>Your kingdom gets buttfucked right as the game begins by a more militarily aggressive neighbor. You will spend the game running from/fighting them while recruiting allies.
>There will be an Evil King on the other kingdom but it will be made apparent that the kingdom itself is not evil.
>The enemy Kingdom will have a few badass named generals that the party will work through over the storyline one by one. There's usually four of them.
>Lots of romance stuff but it's pretty shallow and undeveloped overall, not really heavily developed and deep.
>Every other woman is a waifu. In recent games it's overloaded with this to pander to the otaku base.
>The Evil King will usually have some kind of ridiculously generic or evil motives or actually he a pawn for a greater supernatural evil.
>You'll have one older mentor Paladin who's a badass, but levels up slow.

There's some other stuff too (races and shit common in the series), but these change depending on the entry a lot.
>>
>>54582911
Well, I got mine from an anon here on /tg/ who just happened to share them right as I was starting my campaign and I'd gladly dump some if you want
Through those I was able to reverse-engineer them and figure out how the macros work, which I would then use to write the formula for skill procs and add those in to certain units later in the game, and some other stuff to improve the QoL for myself and the players
A bit of reading on roll20's wiki helped too, it's really not so bad when you realize that basically all you need to do is build a macro with all the calculations (hit%, crit%, etc) already built in so it can call it from a token and apply it to an enemy token, then set it to be usable by players as a token action or whatever

For any system without as many calculations to call per attack as Fire Emblem though, macros are pretty mindless, and do indeed make things more convenient
I will say though, half of my players learned how to work the macros themselves, and helped a LOT in the flow of the campaign by being able to help fix things when something inevitably breaks, so I can't imagine how it'd go if they were all clueless, but as mentioned earlier r20 at least gives you the option to do it all yourself and give it to your players in the form of nothing but a button to push
>>
>>54582954
It doesn't. It's one guy.
He posts the same way every time, and then provides a link to a PDF, like clockwork. It doesn't work and nobody cares, but he still does it.
>>54582964
Because we weren't playing 4e, we were playing 5e.
And because I wasn't even bothering to attempt to emulate the rules of Fire Emblem; I asked if they wanted that and the group told me that if they wanted that they would just go play Fire Emblem. They were instead interested in the storytelling style that Fire Emblem uses.
>>
>>54583020
The fact that roll20 has macro capability is one of those things I forget way too often. Really have to try and take advantage of that!
>>
>>54583024

You know, I'm using this name for a reason.
>>
>>54583089
Yeah, but somehow he didn't understand that so I felt the need to explain it to him.
Maybe he's new or something.
>>
>>54583126
Actually, >>54582954
is a meme.

Basically every time someone posts about Strike it gets posted.

So I'm not sure who's new here really...
>>
>>54583008

Are there any good books or articles on running Royal Intrigue games?
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.