[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Roleplaying

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 279
Thread images: 58

File: tumblr_mnc7ukU65J1sncm04o1_1280.jpg (88KB, 640x1129px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mnc7ukU65J1sncm04o1_1280.jpg
88KB, 640x1129px
What makes a female character good? How would a male roleplay a quality female character?
>>
>>54578364
You play her like a normal fucking person, with changes on perspective on some things, like your relationships with certain kinds of people. Two sisters and two brothers have very similar relationships, it's really just a matter of how they bond.

Basically don't listen to /tg/
>>
File: Screenshot_1.png (51KB, 572x443px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_1.png
51KB, 572x443px
>>54578364
Step one: Write a good character
Step two: Decide their character afterwards.

Gender-specific dramatic story differences have no place at most tables unless your group is capable and mature enough to handle them. If that is the case, you are likely intelligent and level-headed enough to figure it out on your own.

If that's not the case, you make shitty threads on /tg/ because you have no idea why nobody gives a shit about your special snowflake characters that only seem interesting because of how they appear rather than the personality traits they possess.
>>
>>54578364
...why are you asking a predominately male 4chan board?
>>
>>54578444
*Step two: Decide their ***GENDER afterwards.

Don't post and drink kiddos.
>>
>>54578364
Pretty much just play her like someone who is shaped by her life events. Avoid the modern day "Lol I can give snappy buffy style one liners gaiz aren't I so koolzz?" Shit blockbusters want to shove down your throat. Maybe do some research on the average behavioral differences and brain structure to get a better idea on how she would be shaped by her life. As long as you do that you should have a pretty okay female PC.
>>
>>54578444
The problem here is that Gender has pretty major effects on a characters personality and life history. The difference between the only child of a baron being female vs a male can have massive effects. Let alone other political effects from say not being able to marry matrilineally or needing special permission. People can do that but I would find it pretty difficult to design that way personally.
>>
>>54578364
>What makes a female character good?
They're men but fucking them doesn't make you gay. I've found that writing convincing female characters and writing likeable ones are mutually exclusive.
>>
File: my supplement 1.gif (6KB, 292x446px) Image search: [Google]
my supplement 1.gif
6KB, 292x446px
I don't play many female characters but I am playing one that I really like in a campaign of 2nd ed Dark Heresy. Mostly I play her just like a male character in any other game so it's not that much of a change. She used to be shy but gradually grew more "outwards" (mostly because of all of the insanity points). That's pretty much the one thing that I notice that was different from the male characters that I always play(paladin, fighter, etc...)
>>
So how do you understand those differences enough as the opposite gender to incorporate them?
>>
>>54578405
/thread
>>
>>54578571
Research anon. There is so much bloody research on how women think and the chemical components that change their behavior. Along with things like brain structure and more. It's not too difficult to model the differences using the research we have access to.
>>
>>54578571
Have you never lived near a woman or seen them interact?

Brothers might rough house and sisters might play house but they still support each other and do what they can to help one another out.

Largely it's dependent on their culture, but women tend to bond easier then men and protect each other (especially younger women and girls) because most cultures have societal norms that make them easily preyed upon. They tend toward privacy for the same reasons.

There's honestly too many variables to just list and explain over 4chan, but if you want to practice just play like you normally do, just say she's a woman and try to think critically in social situations.
>>
>>54578977
That would just be a skin deep level view though. The real question one should be asking is less what they do and more why they do it. Then transplant the general thought processes with what would be the logical end in the world they are in.
>>
>>54579043
Ideally yes, but I'm not about to try to educate a grown man about why women think the way they think while what are likely to be a troupe of Cro-Magnons discuss why women should have a limit on how high their strength score will go.

It's a nuanced topic, and this medium and the people in it aren't receptive to that kind of thing, so this is the easy answer.
>>
>>54578571
Drop the dogma that men and women are equal in every way, shape or form. Use common sense from that point onward.
>>
>>54579145
Women themselves don't really know why they think they way they do. It's why I always recommend reading neurology papers on them. You won't get an accurate viewpoint if you just ask them because they'll only know how they rationalize the end results. Not an accurate viewpoint on how those results were formed or how. Basically what I'm saying is if someone wants a accurate female character they need a neurology degree.
>>
>>54578364
If you have to ask questions like this then you are completely unqualified to do anything regarding women, least of all play as them.
>>
>>54579304
Isn't that being a little harsh? It is difficult to roleplay a perspective you aren't familiar with and it's just fact that women experience life differently than men do.
>>
Without asking the question how else would you learn?
>>
File: Untitled.png (98KB, 317x369px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
98KB, 317x369px
>>54579283
No, it's very much not needing of a degree.

There is a degree of instinct involved, the same way a butterfly doesn't know why the hell it's flying where it is when it's migrating when it wont even live to see the destination, it just does. As sapient creatures however it's pretty simple to explain certain behaviors.

The reason why women go to the bathroom together is to protect one another with numbers in an unfamiliar environment, which is both instinct and a conscious decision many women make, especially if they feel uncomfortable.

The reason why someone might not explain what is upsetting them is because humans are social creatures and we actually say more with our body language then with our words, and being unable to pick up on that is not ideal in a mate, or at least it wasn't when such things were more necessary, and stepping away from the instinct explanation it displays that you are either ignorant or do not care about what is upsetting her.

Granted, we are able to break these instincts, and many people do through communication, ect.
>>
>>54579371
But they aren't alien fish people. They are people, just as simple and just as complex as any given man. They have wants and needs, hopes and fears like anybody else. Just because a setting, whether it be fiction or historical, treats them a certain way or places them in a particular social standing doesn't mean they are suddenly this incomprehensible thing.
>>
>>54579371
That is true, but much of what you're asking can be solved with simple life experiences. Granted, we're on 4chan where that is few and far between which is why I tried not to dismiss you.

There is a bit of truth to what anon is saying though, because it's not something you can really just explain to someone and they get it. You have to understand the thought processes and even the life experiences that result in their decision making from one moment to another.
>>
>>54579488
Basically this.

Most of the basic rp stuff is exactly the same, it's just small situational things that make the real differences.
>>
>>54579461
Go outside. Read books. Talk to people (or if that is too much to ask then simply listen to them). You will find more than a few commonalities between men and women, enough so that roleplaying as one or another is essentially the same thing.
>>
File: 2662adc6f5d84057cdce2efaefabd13c.jpg (467KB, 917x1300px) Image search: [Google]
2662adc6f5d84057cdce2efaefabd13c.jpg
467KB, 917x1300px
>>54578405
fpbp, as is often the case.

My female character jumped at any chance to have a proper bath, but that was less to do with her being female and more to do with her growing up on the sea-side and living in a city were a bath wasn't as hard to come by as it is in the wilderness.

Well, that plus the manga influences that my DM never picked up on. I wanted a Hot Springs/Beach Episode, dammit. We BOTH of us each own the complete collection of Love Hina manga, there was really no excuse for him to not realize it.

It was even Horde of the Dragon Queen/Rise of Tiamat! The hot springs could have in the end turned out to have been heated by a dragon and all our character have to fight the dragon while preserving our dignity.

Would have been great.
>>
>>54578364
in the words of ''As Good as it Gets'' take away reason and accountability.
>>
>>54579468

That's just surface level though. It doesn't explain things like how they'll change their behavior if they are in a different part of their cycle. Or the other fascinating ways in which their behavior goes an utter 180.

While it is possible to get some abstraction via just going by the instincts you can spot it won't really be all that accurate. It's explaining the output. Not the input that causes it.

>>54579488
Humans in general are pretty close to incomprehensible anon. Been studying them for thousands of years and only now are we starting to get a decent grasp the basics of how the brain and hormones effect behavior.
>>
>>54578364

Being male.

Women can't be adventurers (a notoriously physically oriented profession) in any but the most magical realm settings.
>>
Clearly not true
>>
>>54578364
Just think of a man, and then take away reason and accountability.
>>
>>54580575
(You)
>>
>>54578364
Same as any character; motivation, flaws, consistent character rather than just being a vehicle for the player's whims.
>>
>>54578364
The kind of people who'll go off at you for playing a female character "wrong" aren't the kind of people you want to be playing with anyway, so don't worry about it.
>>
>>54578517
>People can do that but I would find it pretty difficult to design that way personally.
Maybe if you have autism or some other inability to think outside strict arbitrary boxes.
With your example of a baron's child maybe their house has fallen from grace and the character is left with no marriage prospects but a goal of earning back glory through action as an adventurer/fighting against the big bad. That can work for either gender with you adapting the specifics as appropriate also considering the setting.
I mean barring very strict gender role and law shit in specific settings most roles or character ideas could fit either gender and even in those cases you can go with the whole "rebelling against norms" shit as long as everyone else goes along with it.
>>
>>54578364
First, think of a man. Then, take away reason and accountability.
>>
>>54579680
>>54582641
>>54580661

fuck off

>>54580967
/thread
>>
>>54583503
crybaby bitch
>>
>>54579283
Dudes don't know why they think the way they do. Most people don't know why they think the way they do. Inherently, humans rationalize from the end result.

>>54579468
A lot of women go to the bathroom together because it's socially acceptable, the lines can be stupid long, it allows for talking about the situation while removed from it, and because they may have other things to do - they might want to check out makeup or anything else.

>>54579813
I've met few women that had drastic mood changes from their period. Most of the drastic mood changes were generally attributed to being super fucking uncomfortable / actively in pain, and thus super fucking short about things.
>>
File: Rey.png (2MB, 1460x1959px) Image search: [Google]
Rey.png
2MB, 1460x1959px
>>54578444
>Step one: Write a good character
>Step two: Decide their sex afterwards.
That is not how you make a good character. That's how you make bland tripe. Men and women have such distinctly different outlooks and thought processes that it colors everything they do. If you write a character and portray their actions as somehow independent of their sex, you have created a bland pile of nothing.
>>
>>54584203
No they don't anon.
>>
>>54584207
>"men and women are very different"
>NUH UHHHH
>>
File: 1314681167242.gif (1MB, 288x198px) Image search: [Google]
1314681167242.gif
1MB, 288x198px
>>54584203

Found the virgin.
>>
>>54583503
"fuck off" the words of a man who can't think of anything worth saying, and so resorts to a primitive emotional response.

>movie reference
>REEEEEEEEEEEEEE im offended

https://youtu.be/rNKIjLLZMWs
>>
File: darkest bait.png (121KB, 553x585px) Image search: [Google]
darkest bait.png
121KB, 553x585px
>>54578364

>all these fucking responses
>100% tendies on both sides

well done.
>>
File: Deedlit.jpg (314KB, 1038x1393px) Image search: [Google]
Deedlit.jpg
314KB, 1038x1393px
I don't let players make characters outside of their gender.
If you want to play a tremendous faggot there's little that can be done to stop you, however.

But you don't get to hide it behind imaginary sexual organs.
>>
I would agree to the opinion that females and males tend to be mostly same, and not very different, altough both tend to have different characteristics through different living conditions and standing in society. A beautiful woman will behave very different in front of bunch of guys she wants to manipulate as a not so good looking woman, who might react more like a man in such a scenario.

regarding your question what makes a character good, I would say that you could maybe simple design patterns to the character, like contrasting personality traits, but that would apply to male characters, too. Just try to make an interesting character and try to think about how her upbringing could have shaped her.
Buff males will react more agressivly as bookish wizard type guys, so will attractive females react differently as not so attractive females.
Another idea is to think of traits as more feminine and more masculine, and pick some feminine and some masculine, until you have a believable character.
As an example, in my impression, it is more a masculine trait to be excessively intrenched in a hobby, like tabletop, cars, computers, or collecting things, but it is believable to have a female character exhibit this traits.
on the other side a more feminine trait would be to be expressive and open about their feelings, to the point to sometimes not being able to hold back tears. this is also believable for a male character to have, and also believable for a female character not to have.
>>
>>54587475
>I would agree to the opinion that females and males tend to be mostly same
>opinion
At least you're being honest here. Now tell me what you think about the FACT that men and women are born with different brain structures even before highly influential sexual hormones start influencing the development of the brain.

The reason why there are barely any women in STEM isn't because of some anti-female conspiracy.
>>
>>54579626
Naru Narusegawa is shit. Well, not so much in the manga, but still, SHIT
>>
>>54587619
I'm not here to discuss science and gender politics, I'm here for discussing creating interesting and believable female characters.
If you disgree on the points I made how some people react, sure, go on and tell me what you think about it.
>>
>>54587776
>I'm not here to discuss science and gender politics, I'm here for discussing creating interesting and believable female characters.
>female
And there's the key word. It all depends on whether your definition of "female" is based on biological truths or an egalitarian fantasy.
You can't say you're not interested in discussing science or gender politics when the very crux of the discussion is gender. That's like discussing the Illiad while refusing to talk about ancient Greek: you *can* technically do it, but you'll end up blowing a lot of shit.
>>
>>54587825
Why would you think that knowing how a female brain works would help building a believable character in a game? there is no need to know anything about the brain to understand the reasoning of anybody. You could simply look at behavioural patterns, that's more than enough
>>
>>54586271
So you're saying that the GM should only populate his world with the same sex and build as he is, for otherwise it is wild power-fantasy and faggotry galore?

Because that is, by proxy, what you are saying
>>
>>54587957
>Why would you think tha tknowing how a female individual behaves would help building a believable female character?
Because otherwise we get men with tits.
>>
>>54588538
so no one ever got females right?
>>
>>54588538
Well as long as they have tits it's OK.
>>
>>54588007

Yes.
>>
>>54584203

Say that to my face and not on the internet.
>>
>>54589219
Your gay
>>
So the gist of it is to write them like a regular human, leaning a bit towards them being more socially oriented than normal barring important backstory reasons to the contrary, got it.
>>
>>54578364
The same thing that makes a female anything good.
Dick
>>
>>54590248
No, it is my gay, not your's
>>
>>54578364
>How would a male roleplay a quality female character?
Imagine your mother. You'll get good insight on how to develop her character if you make her the basis.
>>
>>54578364
I'm going to go against the tide of "make them like males" posts and tell you to make them feminine.

Don't make them girly. They don't nemed to go around fainting at the side of blood, wearing frilly pink dresses, and shit like that. But don't make them a female just to play a girl (male). If you're interested in roleplaying games than play a different role than the typical bullshit. Play a mother or a wife, and I mean a mother whose primary focus actually is on their child or a wife whose primary focus assuming your setting is pretty much any time before the 1970s is supporting her husband. It's infinitely more interesting than yet another stronk independent womyn who don't need no man.
>>
>>54587721
Yeah, I only ever read the manga, I haven't seen much of the anime. Of the legal options for Keitaro in the manga (Naru, Otohime, Kitsune), I think Naru was the best.
>>
File: 1339310729396.gif (847KB, 500x373px) Image search: [Google]
1339310729396.gif
847KB, 500x373px
>>54595048
The big question is if a dedicated wife and mother would leave ever her nest to go adventuring, barring seeking revenge for said family being killed.
>>
>>54598527
>not having your party play one big badass adventuring family
>>
>>54598527
Adventure where it's a group of housewives who've lost their husbands to war that go on a quest to avenge them when?

On the way they have to learn to throw aside their "womanly" lives and try to learn to kick ass
>>
>>54598527
For a less murderhobo example, her son joined the BBEG's cult and she's off to demonstrate that no matter how old he is he's not too old to get bent over her knee if he misbehaves. The party runs into him as part of a band of generic guards, legions of doom, or whatever. For added points, the BBEG's legion of doom just committed some atrocity like razing a village or some shit.
>>
>>54584203
You do realize the character you have as an example of this was created with the "Girl Power" mentality rather than making an interesting character right? Then again Star Wars doesn't exactly have the best characters.
>>
File: 1461813100054.png (168KB, 542x520px) Image search: [Google]
1461813100054.png
168KB, 542x520px
>>54578364

Two things. First, everyone saying "just play her like a man with tits" is wrong. "Girl who is one of the guys and acts just like a man" is not original and hasn't been for decades. Don't go all-out on the girlyness but at least make her a little feminine, moderation is key.

The other thing, and this is so important I'm going to reddit space it so it gets seen...

Whatever you do, DO NOT PLAY A LESBIAN!

No, not even if you're a lesbian in real life, nobody cares. DO NOT PLAY A LESBIAN.

"Bisexual" female characters whose love interest is female are JUST AS BAD. Lesbians are the WORST source of stupid drama and bullshit on /tg/.
>>
>>54578571

Interact with women. Play them as you see them, the good along with the bad.
>>
>>54579304

Fuck off nigger, it's better to ask than to make a cringey character. Your women's studies degree is still just as useless whether or not he asks questions.
>>
>>54598737
>the call of adventure happens
>PC goes to her fireplace, above which her husband's sword is mounted
>After a moments hesitation, she takes a breath, and takes it down
>"Momma"
>she turns about as her son gives her a hug
>"Come back on your feet, ok"
>She pulls back and kisses him on his forehead
>"I will. I promise."
>"Take care of your siblings while I'm gone, ok?"
>"Of course, mom."

>>54598697
Also a good option, and a very interesting change of pace.
The party would end up probably getting treated like gypsies, tho.
>>
>>54580575

He's not wrong. I'm hard-pressed to think of a decent female adventurer that wouldn't be tooth-grindingly annoying to actually adventure with even if they're fun to watch from an outside perspective. Imagine trying to get PAID for quests with Lina Inverse as the party Sorcelock.
>>
>>54599218
Go be triggered somewhere else.
>>
>>54599164
>"Girl who is one of the guys and acts just like a man" is not original and hasn't been for decades.
Originality doesn't mean shit.
>>
>>54584203

Everyone hating on this post has never interacted with a woman and is desperate to pretend men and women are identical to cover that up. Also they all play generic tomboys and Saber Paladin clones.
>>
File: (You)4u.jpg (59KB, 500x456px) Image search: [Google]
(You)4u.jpg
59KB, 500x456px
>>54588007
>I don't let players make characters outside their gender
>players
>>
>>54599164

Honestly, lesbians/bisexuals played by women are worse in my experience, because they'll bring it up for attention.

>"I make out with the barmaid lol" when the male players are talking
>"I have sex with the evil queen. Wait, why do I have to roll? I'm hawt. C'mon pweeeease? :<"

These are both things I've seen from a female character played by a woman. Now, when men play a lesbian, it's awful in a different way, because generally they know they're doing it for magical realm purposes and keep it quiet until they can't resist and then burst into a full-on creepsplosion. So either you get low-grade awful all the time, or truly horrific That Guy behavior once or twice on a scale that derails the game. For some reason Exalted brings out the worst in both.
>>
>>54599272
>t. an uncreative faggot

It means I don't have to sit through your boring-ass Saber clone "stoic masculine personality on a woman warrior" for the umpteenth time.
>>
>>54599419
>he honestly thinks he's ever created anything original in his entire life
>>
Playing a woman as exactly like a man, but with tits, is the easiest route that requires no thought and is only mediocre instead of terrible, so naturally /tg/ will recommend it.

There's another easymode way, though. DM a game or two, inevitably there will be female NPCs and you can feel your way into making good ones, even if they're more anime-girl-ish than realistic-girl-ish they'll still be tolerable, and because they're not your one and only character there's less spotlight on them and you can kill them off guilt-free if they're awful. I used to hate writing women until I had to write a spoiled child queen and had a blast with it.
>>
>>54599381

In b4 some wannabe feminist White Knight reeees at you for implying women might do things for attention.
>>
>>54599460

You sound mad about being uncreative. How many "typical masculine personality" female PCs have you made over the years?
>>
>>54599419
>t. Arnold K.
Something unoriginal done well will always be better than something original done shittily. Not that you do either, you gameless faggot.
>>
File: 1443826368336.png (273KB, 500x474px) Image search: [Google]
1443826368336.png
273KB, 500x474px
>>54599460
>if your character has anything in common with anyone ever then you're on the same level as Generic Masculine Personality Lesbian Warrior Chick #6668
>>
>>54599521

Oohhhh, the "you have no games because you disagree with me" defense already? You sure are committed to dying on this hill, to the point where you've projected that any concept that hasn't been done to death is going to be shitty, any characters played by people who disagree with you will be shitty, that your characters are any good in the first place...it's a virtual forest of material to > at. You already know that, though, it's why your posting is so defensive. You know that your mangirls are shit, and you're hoping for a chance to quell that doubt with anger, so instead I'll make a single point and ask a single question.

First, it has never, ever been done well. Female characters with male personalities are boring dreck and always have been. No matter how beautifully you copy it, shit will always be shit.

Secondly, be honest, is your waifu a Saber clone? You're awfully invested in this archetype and, frankly, you sound like you're taking this very personally. Sorry for triggering you, but you'd be a better roleplayer if you at least TRIED.
>>
>>54599652
>x concept is impossible to do well
This is how I know you're shit.
>>
>>54599381

Fucking this. Interacting with 3D women in game brings two types out. Attention whores and the ones who are deliberately bitchy IC because that's what they think roleplaying is. The most likable female PCs I've seen were all played by gay men.
>>
If you're going to play one of the guys, then just play a guy. I'm sick of androgynous womyn. Make a woman character actually feminine, please.

Feminine doesn't mean weak. You can make a strong woman without making them a stronk womyn.
>>
>>54599717

I don't see any counterexamples.

>but muh tomboys!

Tomboys are good because you have to bring OUT their femininity. It was there all along, like the sweet fruit inside the spiny shell of a pineapple.
>>
>>54599765
>Tomboys are good because you have to bring OUT their femininity.
Your tastes are garbage. Just like pineapples.
>>
>>54599765

Not the guy you're arguing with, but I have a polite disagreement on the matter of tomboys. It's also possible to have a tomboy who IS extremely feminine but becomes a tomboy for reasons of how society reacts to her interests or physique. For instance, Brienne of Tarth.
>>
File: tyREnsA.jpg (434KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
tyREnsA.jpg
434KB, 2048x1152px
>>54599800
>Just like pineapples.
Now you've gone too far, anon. Let's not get carried away.
>>
>>54599831
In what possible sense is Brienne feminine other than being Jaime's side girl?
>>
File: 1302966552086.jpg (235KB, 950x1457px) Image search: [Google]
1302966552086.jpg
235KB, 950x1457px
>>54599765
>I don't see any counterexamples.
What do I win?

The Boss is an excellent tomboy - with traditionally masculine pursuits (she's a soldier for god's sake) and yet she clearly would not work as a male character, her role as both a literal and figurative mother is central and requisite part of her character and the theme of her story.
>>
>>54599800

Still no counterexamples, I see. No, tomboys (and pineapples) aren't my favorite, but at least they're acceptable. Women with actual masculine personalities are pure, absolute trash.
>>
File: 1361284071827.png (146KB, 396x335px) Image search: [Google]
1361284071827.png
146KB, 396x335px
>>54599901
>Still no counterexamples, I see.

You're not very observant, are you.
>>
>>54578455
>Don't post and drink kiddos.
So, drink first, THEN post, right? Gotcha, thanks m8, I've been doing it all wrong.
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (120KB, 853x466px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
120KB, 853x466px
>>54599765
>I don't see any counterexamples.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zcTrIHrpUM
This movie has two different ones who are diametrically opposed to one another and yet both excellent examples.

I can keep going.
>>
File: 72234.jpg (10KB, 391x325px) Image search: [Google]
72234.jpg
10KB, 391x325px
>>54578364
Like a slut with -4 STR

There you go, thread over.
>>
>>54599731
Pretty much any woman in the show works, to be honest. Sansa's probably my favorite, if not then Catelyn. I'm just saying, Littlefinger has good taste.
>>
>>54578364
Sauce on that pic? It's awesome and I want more
>>
>>54599856
>hopeless romantic who did it all for her crush on VERY GAY Renly Baratheon
>sensitive about her body and wants to be pretty
>was deliriously happy dancing with boys until she found out it was all a trick
>picked a shield design because it was pretty and she heard about it in a story once
>tsundere for Jaime-kun.

She has a very feminine personality inside the body of a giant armored killtank. The exact opposite of the typical "man with tits" character who has a boyish brain but the body of a waifu.

>>54599876

The boss is >>54599831 this type of tomboy. She's a stern mom, her personality may be badass but it's also distinctly feminine. She actually further disproves the point that a good, badass female PC would have the same personality and mentality as a male, as you said her motherliness is essential to the story. You fight her in a field of flowers for Christ's sake.
>>
>>54600011
>the point that a good, badass female PC would have the same personality and mentality as a male
You wrote 'would' when you should have written 'could'.
>>
>>54600011
She's an example, as I said, of how you do it right - how you give a female character traditionally masculine pursuits without falling into the trap of just making her a man.

If you're moving the argument to say that the only time it works is when it's done right, then you're making a tautological argument of "shit characters are shit."
>>
>>54599979

Neither of those have a remotely masculine mindset even if they're both awesome.

>>54599942

See above. Black Lagoon's women are all pretty godawful barring Roberta, Greenback, Can't-Speak-Properly, and Sawyer, honestly, but you watch it for the action and not the character drama.
>>
>>54600085
>Neither of those have a remotely masculine mindset even if they're both awesome.
Are you trolling? San is basically Tarzan and Lady Eboshi is a warlord!
>>
File: tomboyelf.jpg (141KB, 571x2048px) Image search: [Google]
tomboyelf.jpg
141KB, 571x2048px
>>54599765
>>54599800
>>54599831
>>54599876
>>54599979
>Tomboyhate

Truly /tg/ has been taken over by the worst of subhumans.
>>
>>54599979
>Lady Eboshi
>lipstick on the battlefield
>kawaii hat when everyone else has camouflage

Girly as fuck.

>Mononoke

She's a wolf and a hormonal mess of one at that.
>>
>>54600105

Reread the conversation. The point is that tomboys are a separate and superior species to female PCs that are given androgynous or masculine personalities because "eh it's easier and pretending men and women are identical is politically correct".
>>
>>54600110
>Girly as fuck.
see >>54600057
>If you're moving the argument to say that the only time it works is when it's done right, then you're making a tautological argument of "shit characters are shit."
>>
>>54600057

Oh, no, then we're absolutely in agreement. Traditionally masculine pursuits is one thing, but NONE of the good examples are "men with tits". The whole point was that playing a female character as a man, but female, produces shit characters.
>>
>>54600105

Nobody is hating on tomboys. In fact, we're defending them as separate from the awful characters made by people who make a chick and play her like a dude.
>>
>>54600137

So you're saying the concept of making a female character who is played like a man is inherently shit? Good to know.
>>
At least everyone agrees that lesbian PCs are the goddamn worst.
>>
>>54600280
I played one once that I think worked out well. The secret was playing them like an actual person and not a character from a porno. It was mostly used to help set up the character being disaffected from blah blah blah willing to drop everything and join a band of terrorists.
>>
File: 1472390197230[1].jpg (67KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
1472390197230[1].jpg
67KB, 1024x576px
>>54600313
>disaffected
>terrorist

Honestly, it sounds pretty shit that being gay was her motivation to join ISIS. That's one of the big ugly points about lesbian characters, their sexual orientation is a defining character trait. I don't mean to sound like I'm saying I'm better than you when I've played all kinds of shitty characters over the years, but...that's not good, man.

Honestly, though, the worst (in my opinion) is when someone plays a lesbian character and goes SEE SHE'S THE ONE GOOD ONE SHE'S NOT CAUSING DRAMA I AM THE DRIZZT OF DYKES. Especially because it usually coincides with "subtly" crushing on a female NPC.
>>
File: amen-with-man[1].png (267KB, 640x426px) Image search: [Google]
amen-with-man[1].png
267KB, 640x426px
>>54600134
>>54600280
>>
>>54600391
>being gay was her motivation to join ISIS
It wasn't, at all, I just didn't want to personal-blog it up. Guess I blah blah blah'd too much of it. The main reason she joined ISIS was due to a series of events from the setting's backstory that have nothing to do with lesbians.
>>
File: Shenhua.png (218KB, 640x358px) Image search: [Google]
Shenhua.png
218KB, 640x358px
>>54600085
>Roberta, Greenback, Can't-Speak-Properly, and Sawyer
>Can't-Speak-Properly
Yu sut mouf noa, or I srice yu gewd! Okay? Okay.
>>
>>54578364
This is probably bait, but for anyone looking for a serious answer, here:

The same things as any character, reasonable backstory, socially functioning, a default personality, emotional triggers, empathy, and that ju-ne-cias-quo that is humanity.

>How would a male roleplay a quality female character?
If you're actually larping (ttrpg or otherwise), good luck with the voice. If you have one that actually sounds feminine, great, otherwise, I don't know what to say.
>>
>>54600631

What a boring and pointless post. It's pretty rare to see so many words that convey so little new information.
>>
>>54593166
So stupid, careless, slightly insane, constantly self-stressed, worried way too much about aesthetics, cares more about having fun with her friends than her family, penny smart pound dumb, and is a waning alcoholic?

If that's all women, I wish I were gay.
>>
>>54600758
Thank you. It's an art.
>>
>>54600822
Are you my sister?
>>
>>54578364
Attach your female character to a male character via backstory. That's why Keyleth is unbearable but Vex and Pike are awesome, even though they're all played by women.

Remember, women are defined by the men around them and suffragism is a filthy lie.
>>
>>54600280
I played a female character who was nominally bisexual...but in reality it's just that she's a young elf. She's was only 27, which is basically like a 16-1/2 year old human developmentally, so she hadn't really yet locked down a preference.

Plus she was a human-raised drow, which meant that she didn't have a huge amount of positive social interaction ever since she struck out on her own, which made it easy for her to become attached to any kind of positive interaction with a person and difficult for her to draw distinction between "like" and "love", as well as difficult for her to understand the kind of love she was feeling - platonic, familial, romantic, etc.

Same character as mentioned here, >>54579626, incidentally.

Her nominal bisexuality only ever really mattered once, anyway - basically on a long caravan trip (HotDQ players know the one) she, in disguise, struck up a friendship with an NPC named Orvustia. After a few weeks she chanced revealing her drow nature to Orvustia, who actually took it very well, and by about a week later my character and Orvustia were an item, at least for the rest of the caravan journey. The circumstances of the journey separated them after that.
>>
>>54600902
>If that's all women, I wish I were gay
>are you my sister
>jackiechanmeme.txt
>>
File: 69e82d78ed[1].jpg (20KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
69e82d78ed[1].jpg
20KB, 480x270px
>>54601054
>child character
>nonevil drow
>bisexual
>dependent

She sounds fucking awful (like the rest of your opinions) and this isn't your goddamned blog.
>>
>>54601165

You forgot one.

>sad backstory

That's some cancer-tier shit right thar.
>>
File: 1458875715994.jpg (81KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1458875715994.jpg
81KB, 800x600px
>>54598527
Kinda related I did have an Elf whose backstory was she married a human at a very young age. And then stuck around the town where most of her family remained after her husband and children passed on. Then took up adventuring to try and find a cure for a disease that one of her great great Grandchildren had. So thats something you could have a dedicated wife and mother do that.

Though I ended up hamming up the whole ARA ARA
>>
>>54601165
Eh, I enjoyed Strippin's take on a dependant nonevil child drow, of course, she wasn't bisexual and didn't have a sad backstory.
>>
>>54601165
>and this isn't your goddamned blog.

No, but if someone can post a comment about how they hate lesbian characters, I can post a comment about how I don't. Quid pro quo.

Also 16-1/2 would be a teenager, not a child. It's also the age many high fantasy adventurers begin their career, give or take. Robert E. Howard's Conan was only around 15 at the Sack of Venarium, and was maybe 17 in "The Frost-Giant's Daughter". He was definitely still a teenager in "The Tower of the Elephant" and probably "Rogues in the House", too.

Plus her biggest sources of inspiration are Autolycus from Xena, Disney's Aladdin, and Lina Inverse from The Slayers. The latter two are teenagers; Lina's only 15 in the first series, for example, while Aladdin's 18.
>>
>>54601206
I wouldn't call it sad...just, at the age when she would have started developing an interest in romantic relationships, she didn't really have any parental figures in her life, nor friends of her own developmental age. So as a result her emotional maturity, at least where romance is concerned, is somewhat stunted.

The bright side to this is that she's an elf and so has plenty of time to get "back on track", as it were. As well, a big part of her personal development in HotDQ/RoT ended up being about her sort of "growing up".

Not every character's personal journey involves slaying a wizard who killed their family, or becoming king of the land, or killing monsters and taking their stuff. Sometimes it's just learning about the world and moving on from adolescence to adulthood.
>>
Honestly, just take a gimmick and run with it. Playing the bratty princess, or the buxom whore, or the fumbling librarian is a lot more fun than playing the girl with a 12 page backstory.
>>
>>54601300

Conan wasn't a codependant, confused faggot drow, he was already a grown man by his society's standards and acted the part. Your own description portrays a mental child.

Literally every word you type is making you sound like more and more of an awful player and your entire series of posts proves the point that dyke PCs are cancer.

>quid pro quo

That's not how it works. I am not doing something for you in exchange for you doing something for me. Abusing Latin phrases when they don't apply is disgusting.

>>54601279

Was that Sandwich or am I thinking of another child drow?
>>
>>54601416
What happens if you can't stop yourself and can write a 12-page backstory without even trying, or even intending to?
>>
>>54601385

Nobody cares about your godawful character and their navel-gazing journey into faggotry.
>>
>>54601446
Prune it. No GM wants to read all that shit. Squash everything relevant into a paragraph or two, leave the rest as 'expanded backstory'.
>>
>>54601300
>Also 16-1/2 would be a teenager, not a child. It's also the age many high fantasy adventurers begin their career, give or take. Robert E. Howard's Conan was only around 15 at the Sack of Venarium, and was maybe 17 in "The Frost-Giant's Daughter". He was definitely still a teenager in "The Tower of the Elephant" and probably "Rogues in the House", too.
I know Conan was younger than he was in say, his first Story where he's a King, but Teenage? Maybe I'm just going by the comic adaption, but he didn't look that young in Tower of the Elephant.
>>
>>54601446

Go by the Saitama rule. Sum it up in twenty words or less or the other PCs probably won't care.
>>
File: cancer-blackboard-595x240[1].jpg (10KB, 595x240px) Image search: [Google]
cancer-blackboard-595x240[1].jpg
10KB, 595x240px
>>54601054
>>54601300
>>54601385
>>
>>54601505
>not-Egyptian streetfighter of justice who is secretly a shapeshifting fishman powered by the Moon. Great with kids.

It works.
>>
>>54601446
Just dont. Jot down a couple of key points, and that's it.

>>54601432
Naw, her name was Esme and her family slave Pain.
Sandwich is a really cute name, though.
>>
>>54601505
This. If you can't accurately summerise your character in 20 words or less, you character is too complicated, and therefore crutched by their backstory.

My last few characters:

Former scholar militarized and enslaved; wishes to cleanse the world of violence through genocide and keep his bloodline untainted.

Knight that hates chivalry and pampering but loves ruthless agression leaves home to find independance.

Self-hating adopted slave leaves home seeking glory to make himself worthy of his already loving father.
>>
>>54601432
>Your own description portrays a mental child.

Basically, yeah. Goes with the territory of playing a Wisdom 9 character who starts the game with the personal goal of "I will become the greatest thief who ever lived!"

Over time it became obvious that her decision to be a thief but tendency to be SUPER obvious about it, as well as constantly leap at the chance to perform "big" thefts that would invariably be noticed and followed up on, was basically an attempt to get people to identify her as "Iliira the thief" rather than "Iliira the drow". She also throughout Hoard of the Dragon Queen had a tendency to never accept responsibility for stuff that was her fault, blaming random chance or circumstances instead. It actually nearly got the party killed at the climax of Hoard of the Dragon Queen - several times - and they, rightly, took her to task for it.

She was better throughout Rise of Tiamat, diving head-first into the "Hero of the Sword Coast" opportunity for basically the same reason she had tried to do the "greatest thief" thing, but she was much more careful to ensure that she didn't place the party in danger and worked harder to coordinate with the party.

The fact that she was a "child" was actually acknowledged at one point in-game, when the party was asked to tell their backstories to some NPC. When Iliira described her background, another PC named Sen realized that Iliira had never really suffered in her life, and in Sen's view people who haven't suffered aren't really adults.

Of course, that changed when the party was indirectly responsible for an entire village getting wiped out by an ornery blue dragon...

Romantically she never really developed - it wasn't a focus of the game, having only come up with regards to Orvustia - but by the end of the campaign Iliira had decided to retire back to Ulgoth's Beard, helping her father run his inn. She'll still be there 30 years later when the inn is used as a framework when I run Storm King's Thunder.
>>
I like this character, more thought out than most.
>>
>>54601873
Which?
>>
The drow
>>
>>54601854
Also a fan of this character
>>
File: Dhampir.jpg (115KB, 646x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Dhampir.jpg
115KB, 646x1000px
>>54601505
Twenty words? That's...really short...I'll give it a try with my next planned character.

>Dhampir faithful of Ezra who has come to Barovia hoping to find and slay her vampire father.

Hey, I did it! Seriously, it's hard for me to be succinct.

(No, the vampire father isn't intended to be Strahd, that would be stupid)

(Having said that, I am intentionally trying to make this character go MAXIMUM EDGE. For fun)
>>
>>54601854
>>54601873
>>54601900
>>54601927

Samefagging this hard for your cancerous character that you seem literally unable to describe without writing a blog post is just sad. Serious question, are you autistic? Because mental illness is your only excuse by this point.
>>
>>54601854

NOBODY CARES, NIGGA!

Honestly the fact that she was a drow and nobody took her out back and gently put her down with a wood axe to the base of the skull is the first and biggest red flag. The fact that you seem compelled to describe your generic bisexual drow Yuffie with as much analysis as Lady Macbeth tells me there's something wrong with you and further proves the point that lesbian/bisexual female characters are atrocious.
>>
>>54601505
Gentleman thug who did horrible things for his former master. Seeks fulfillment, but his only skills are violence-related.
>>
>>54601939

That's a sick hat.

>Buffest town guard wants to become an adventurer so he can roll in gold and fuck all the exotic bitches
>>
>>54578364
Ask yourself, what would charlize theron do?
>>
>>54599419
>>t. an uncreative faggot
Is it some hot new meme? Recently I noticed quite a lot of posts like this whenever someone suggests to avoid making speshul snowflakes.
>>
>>54601900 >>54601927
Thanks...though I admit I probably have an unfair advantage over most people's characters. I was sort-of Forever DM'd for 16 years, "sort of" in that while I did get to play RPGs like Spycraft or Star Wars or Kingdom Hearts or Vampire: the Masquerade, I never got to play D&D as a player, I was only able to run games as a DM.

Most Forever DM's come up with a million and one different characters that they never get to play. I made just the one - Iliira Ii'ilmerias, CG drow thief - and on-and-off again developed her character, backstory, motivations, personality, flaws, etc., the entire time (she actually started as my CHARNAME in Baldur's Gate originally, but she's been completely divorced from that game's story except for a few vague references - but she isn't a Bhaalspawn or even remotely divine or special beyond just being a drow. I even intentially gave her red eyes specifically because it's the most common eye color among drow, rather than give her "special eyes" like what Drizzt (purple) or Liriel (amber) have)

By the time I was finally, FINALLY able to escape Forever-DM status and actually play her, I don't mind admitting that I was ecstatic. I don't want to give the impression that I forced the character down any of my fellow player's throats, though - Iliira's contributions to the campaign weren't any bigger or smaller than any other player character's.
>>
>>54601505
Drow Ex-drider turned Shipwright. Just wants to repair and maintain some fucking boats.
>>
>>54584203
Why exactly Rey could not be male?
>>
File: 1426178343733.jpg (80KB, 618x899px) Image search: [Google]
1426178343733.jpg
80KB, 618x899px
you don't have to sexualize a female character. in fantasy make believe woman can do anything a man can and you can just play the character the same way you would play a male character.
>>
>>54584203

Of all the characters to pick for this, you picked REY?

Really?
>>
File: 1426203992534.jpg (148KB, 564x800px) Image search: [Google]
1426203992534.jpg
148KB, 564x800px
>>
File: 1456344398937.jpg (113KB, 397x609px) Image search: [Google]
1456344398937.jpg
113KB, 397x609px
>>
>>54601958
>Samefagging

Not samefagging. Not that I have any proof of that...then again, neither do you.

>Serious question, are you autistic?

Nope. Trust me, I've been checked - frankly I could use the government money help. But I have a 100% clean mental bill of health.

>>54601990
>Honestly the fact that she was a drow and nobody took her out back and gently put her down with a wood axe to the base of the skull is the first and biggest red flag

Oh, come on, it's a simple inversion of the ancient "human raised by monsters" trope. The Ghul's daughter, Vasilissa the Beautiful, Kintaro who was raised by Yama-Uba, Rapunzel, like 90% of Scandinavian folktales involve Our Hero being raised by trolls...

>and further proves the point that lesbian/bisexual female characters are atrocious.

Look, if we want to be honest with ourselves, all my psycho-analysis justification for it is probably bullshit. It makes perfect sense for the character and I can justify it and actually pull some interesting character details from it...but most likely I had Iliira be "bisexual" and only have one relationship, and that with a woman, because I'm a straight male, which means that even when roleplaying someone who isn't me I'm most comfortable having the character I'm roleplaying be attracted to women. And my character was also a woman. Lesbians are hot.

Same reason why I tend to roll up female characters at all, it's a carry-over habit from video games: if I'm going to stare at an ass for 20+ hours, then it might as well be an ass I find attractive.
>>
File: 1462246519354.jpg (428KB, 1051x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1462246519354.jpg
428KB, 1051x1600px
>>
>>54602191
I don't mind that she's covered in blood. I do want to ask why she'd stop to pose, though.
>>
File: 1468522618217.jpg (640KB, 886x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1468522618217.jpg
640KB, 886x1600px
>>
File: 1468537350114.jpg (194KB, 737x781px) Image search: [Google]
1468537350114.jpg
194KB, 737x781px
>>54602229
its probably from the prospective of someone finding her as the last survivor of a battle
>>
File: 1468789443639.jpg (318KB, 720x900px) Image search: [Google]
1468789443639.jpg
318KB, 720x900px
>>
File: 1468789678649.jpg (203KB, 640x965px) Image search: [Google]
1468789678649.jpg
203KB, 640x965px
>>
File: 1468800401261.jpg (152KB, 500x788px) Image search: [Google]
1468800401261.jpg
152KB, 500x788px
>>
File: 1484593506914.jpg (51KB, 306x719px) Image search: [Google]
1484593506914.jpg
51KB, 306x719px
>>
>>
File: Bounty_Hunter_by_Lascopainters.jpg (85KB, 705x1134px) Image search: [Google]
Bounty_Hunter_by_Lascopainters.jpg
85KB, 705x1134px
>>
>>
>>54602181
No. Male characters and female characters are different. Even if they have the exact same personality and backstory, they will still read differently. If you want your character to be female so badly, you should have a reason for it that improves the character.
>>
>>54602349
>If you want your character to be female so badly, you should have a reason for it
How about we turn that around?
>If you want your character to be male so badly, you should have a reason for it that improves the character.
>>
>>54602377
Naturally.
>>
>>54602349
you sound fucking retarded
>>
>>54602387
So what if the sex of the character doesn't improve the character either way?
>>
Gender should make a difference
>>
>>54602393
It must make some difference. Otherwise you wouldn't be going out of your way to play a character outside of your own sex.
>>
>>54602428
>Otherwise you wouldn't be going out of your way to play a character outside of your own sex.
How about "because I want to"?
>>
>>54601499
We know Conan was 15 or younger at the Sack of Venarium, as when it's described in "Beyond the Black River", Conan himself states his age, or basically does: "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the walls. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires."

In "The Tower of the Elephant", he's continuously referred to as a "youth" by the narrative (not "a young man"), so most take that to mean that he's somewhere between 15-19, and probably something like 17.
>>
>>54602436
And that's what makes people assume you're only doing it to make your character more special.
>>
>>54602428
>Otherwise you wouldn't be going out of your way

An "F" is not any harder to write in in the gender line of a character sheet than an "M".
>>
>>54602436
That doesn't cut it as a solid Rping reason
>>
>>54602428
its boring as fuck to always play the same character
>>
File: 615GA6GGOQL._SX355_.jpg (13KB, 355x224px) Image search: [Google]
615GA6GGOQL._SX355_.jpg
13KB, 355x224px
>>54578452
>why pretend to be straight on a predominately trap board?

Why indeed, but in all fairness, we don't know the gender, race, etc of any other /tg/ posters. To announce oneself as a ca\tg\irl would attract
>orbiters
>haters
>general in difference
so why would they bother?
>>
File: Half-elf swashbuckler.jpg (88KB, 640x1534px) Image search: [Google]
Half-elf swashbuckler.jpg
88KB, 640x1534px
>>54602477
Sometimes a character just occurs to you and you want to play the character. And sometimes the character is female.

When I play a female character, I'm not trying to be "special". I just came up with a character idea that happened to be a female character. That's it. At the most it might be inspired by some art I've seen, like pic, but even then the motivation is "I want to play this character", not "I want to play a special character".
>>
>>54602477
50% of the people in the world are women, I don't really see how it in itself makes a character more special.
>>
>>54602501
all female characters should start with a buttplug
>>
>>54602484
>>54602519
You're both being disingenuous. You know perfectly well that a female character will come across differently than a male character, even if they are played exactly the same. It's not a letter on a piece of paper.

>>54602498
>>54602505
Both of these are take into account that gender informs character, and thus I have no issue with them.
>>
>>54602063

Star in an overhyped girl power feminist action movie with extremely bad fight scenes where she looks like a cracked-out hooker but everyone onscreen talks nonstop about how amazing she is?

>>54602064

Or people are uncreative faggots and "play a woman just like a man" is bad advice?

>>54602066

Jesus Christ you and your permawaifu character are sad.
>>
>>54602501
Anyone remember that thread with the jewish nose lady?

http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/7985592/

That was fun and informative, and wouldn't have been that way if the OP wasn't a chick and /tg/ wasnt full of orbiters.
Board quality can come from any source.
>>
>>54602216

I'd thank you for being a perfect example of why dyke characters are cancer, but you'd just write another TL:DR blogpost. Awful character, awful opinions, complete faggot. Six words describe you perfectly.

...Also that's exactly how a samefagger would respond. So fuck off.
>>
>>54602487
Well aren't you a funless faggot.
>everything must have a deeper meaning
>because I wanted to isn't good enough
Go back to Media Studies 207.
>>
>>54602621
I meant in regards to gender only. There are differences, and they should be incorporated in some way.
>>
>>54602621
Why would I want to play a roleplaying game with someone who puts no thought into their characters?
>>
>>54602647
You seem to be confused. This isn't the real world.
>>
>>54602484

No, but if it doesn't play differently then you're doing it wrong.
>>
>>54602673
True, but I believe characters should have at least some depth other than "cuz I wanna"
>>
>>54598527
Unless they're in incredibly dire straits, probably not.
>B-BUT THERE ARE BETTER, SAFER WAYS TO EARN MONEY
Yeah, there are. That never stopped mothers from becoming crack whores though so why should it stop them from becoming murderhobos?

On a more positive/unrealistic note, she might have a husband who takes care of the children. She could go out adventuring and send some phat lewt home to the husband and children. It'd be no different from modern day husbands who are deployed overseas while their wives and children remain home and recieve money transfers. Except for the fact that military wives are notorious for cucking their husbands, of course.
>>
>>54602587
>Jesus Christ you and your permawaifu character are sad.

Just the opposite, actually. I finally got to play Iliira; and she made it through the entire campaign alive, and even a bit wiser for the experience.

I'm sorry that you'll never get to experience the happiness of finally getting to play that one character you've always wanted to, and would rather that every character's personal journey involve killing things and taking their stuff rather than growing as a person. I'll admit that can be fun - that's gonna be my character in Curse of Strahd, basically, with MAXIMUM EDGE 'casue I find it funny - but you should try the alternative sometime.

>>54602619
>...Also that's exactly how a samefagger would respond.

Well, I wasn't samefagging. You're just going to have to live with the knowledge that not everyone shares your opinions. Or continue to live with the delusion that everyone does. Either way, I've had fun.

>but you'd just write another TL:DR blogpost.

Hell, I'll do that anyway. I've got nothing better to do right now.
>>
>>54602702
Would I be wrong to imagine that the soldiers overseas are also prone to succumbing to the temptation to cheat on their wives?
>>
>>54601416
>>54601446
The trick is to make the 12-page backstory optional.

>>54601492
>No GM wants to read all that shit.
I'd be thrilled if one of my players were so inspired they had that much to write. But then, I don't play with randos and know roughly what my players will do, so I don't have concerns that behavior might otherwise bring up.
>>
>>54602182
because she is a shallow husk of a mary sue
>>
>>54602182
>>54602151
I took it to mean Rey is an example of a bland character
>>
>>54602745
>Trying to justify female infidelity with a 'tu quoque'
>>
>>54602501
this. Being a girl is just like any other personal attribute, it doesn't tend to come up unless it's immediately relevant to the topic at hand. also like 15-20% of posters on 4chan are female, though I don't know about /tg/ specifically. We're more common than you think.
>>
>>54602794
>also like 15-20% of posters on 4chan are female
Explains the declining post quality
>>
>>54602671
Why would I want to play a roleplaying game with someone who refuses to play a role that is unlike themselves without a really good reason?
>>
Play anything you want, I just prefer more fleshed out characters personally
>>
File: 1493065220571.jpg (136KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1493065220571.jpg
136KB, 1280x720px
>>54602807
>>
>>54602781
Nah, either way it's a shitty thing to do. Just not sure if my instincts are right that it's a roughly symmetrical rate of dishonesty, or if gender or other factors make the situations qualitatively/quantitatively different.
>>
>>54602808
People who think their characters through are going to be much better at playing their role than people who pick traits arbitrarily.
>>
File: 1414426110326.gif (4MB, 294x524px) Image search: [Google]
1414426110326.gif
4MB, 294x524px
>>54602850
And naturally, anyone who thinks their character through will naturally come to want to play male characters.

Nobody who thinks their character through comes to decide, as a part of the process of thinking the character though, that they want to play her as a female or think the character makes more sense as a female.
>>
>>54602871
Why not?
>>
File: Drow.png (7KB, 208x394px) Image search: [Google]
Drow.png
7KB, 208x394px
>>54602871
I did.
>>
>>54602794

You know the rules, and so do I. Tits or GTFO. Have some respect for tradition, this is what keeps us safe from normies.
>>
>>54602874
>>54602879
Check your sarcasm detector.
>>
>>54602879

But you made an awful character.
>>
File: 1362256268036.png (100KB, 1254x261px) Image search: [Google]
1362256268036.png
100KB, 1254x261px
>>54602884
As I said, it's usually just not relevant to the topic, that is, there's no reason to actually point it out.
>>
>>54602886
Asking on the off chance it wasn't sarcasm, have you seen the posts on this thread
>>
>>54602892
No, I made a character who actually grew and changed as a character throughout the course of the campaign, and had a blast the entire time.

I'm willing to venture a guess that your characters are generally static - that they don't significantly change over the course of the game. They might get some shit done that needed doing, but fundamentally they're basically the same people at character creation as they are at the end of the story. They're, like, a Japanese shounen character. Like Goku, or Alucard.
>>
>>54602831
>if gender or other factors make the situations qualitatively/quantitatively different.
Shitty lock versus master key.

The physiological difference is that men fucking some whore while off on deployment is not likely to have lasting consequences, but women cheating on their husbands back home is. If a GI gets some Iraqi whore pregnant he's not likely to ever even find out, but if his wife gets pregnant it could destroy their family.

There are two very good reasons why the double standard on men versus women and promiscuity exists, and that's one of them - the simple physiological truth is that the consequences are more grave for the woman than the man.
>>
>>54602895

Look, I don't WANT to see your tits, nor do I WANT you to leave necessarily. If I wanted to see tits I can go to google, and type in "tits", and google will provide me with the finest breasts known to mankind for my aesthetic perusal. Similarly, you getting the fuck out is something I can neither compel, nor want, nor could prove if you did because we're all anon here...but tradition imposes a heavy load. You must post your tits, our culture demands it.
>>
>>54602871
>>54602436
Clearly a well thought-out process.
>>
>>54602942
This is of course a blue board, you realize. So presumably you'll allow for a bra, bikini, or similar.

>>54602895
Likewise, though, I must point out that he's got a point - you brought up your femininity, so you have to prove it. Make sure to timestamp, too.
>>
>>54602935

They're for sure not boring bisexual drow "omg drow raised by humans so original and kewl right guys" mental children with shitty motivations and angst over not having parents, and I don't write long blog posts about them because unlike you I have enough creativity to make NEW characters instead of recycling my BALDUR'S GATE character. I also don't make characters to sexually appeal to myself (which was your explanation for playing a woman), and if I did they wouldn't be sexually immature jailbait. You're fucking pathetic man. Legitimately pathetic. There is nothing good about you, nothing good about your character except that she's an example of why dyke PCs are cancer, and claiming otherwise just further evidences what a sad sack of shit you are.

Oh, and you play modules instead of coming up with your own adventures and act as if that's proper instead of a crutch for shit DMs.

Pathetic.
>>
>>54602939
True, if perhaps unpleasant to know. For the record, and only if there's not too great a danger of plunging this thread any farther into chaos by doing so, what's the other very good reason? I suppose this could be relevant to roleplaying for female adventurers sharing a lifestyle of loose morals with male murderhobo-types.
>>
>>54602957

Indeed I shall allow for it, it is, after all, a blue board. This is a matter of tradition, not titillation.
>>
>>54602980
The other reason is the social one - any woman north of "hideously deformed" can successfully sleep around. Most men are not very picky and even a 2/10 can easily find men looking for any port in a storm.

However, to be promiscuous as a male requires some kind of valued skill or trait - physical attractiveness, financial wealth, charisma wit or humor, some kind of talent that impresses ladies, et cetera. Whatever it is, it's something we value as a culture.

That is to say, for a lock to be opened by any key requires only that it be a shitty lock - but a key that can open many locks has to be a master key. The master key is valued because it implies a positive trait; the shitty lock isn't because it doesn't imply a positive trait.
>>
File: 1274132415797.jpg (26KB, 550x659px) Image search: [Google]
1274132415797.jpg
26KB, 550x659px
1) Talk about other females behind their backs
2) Focus your attention on wealthy characters
3) Be promiscuous until lvl 18, then decide you want to settle down
4) Never accept personal responsibility for activating traps, raising alarms, or summoning the Demi-Lich who will slay whole kingdoms
5) If you don't have any weapons, try to have children. Children make excellent weapons. +4 against their dad
>>
>>54602997
So a setting where female promiscuity isn't much more stigmatized than male promiscuity would be one where contraceptives are easily available and men have higher standards? Cool to know.
>>
File: Iliira.png (536KB, 686x963px) Image search: [Google]
Iliira.png
536KB, 686x963px
>>54602976
Let's hear about one of your characters, then.

>"omg drow raised by humans so original and kewl right guys

It's not original. I pointed out myself that it's a trope as old as dirt. Romulus and Remus, Rapunzel, Kintaro, the Ghul's daughter.

>and angst over not having parents

What? She didn't have angst. And she did have parents. I said, she was raised by humans, grew up in a sea-side inn. She was raised by a human innkeeper. I deliberately AVOIDED angst in her backstory. She had a happy childhood. Hell, when I went to a drawthread to get art of her done, I actually specifically asked the drawfags to draw her with large eyes, since those suggest happiness, and to NOT give her the narrow-eyed smug look of disdain that drow are usually drawn with.

Got fantastic results, by the way. God bless the drawfag.

>NEW characters instead of recycling my BALDUR'S GATE character.

To be honest, except for having a foster father and spending a significant amount of time in Baldur's Gate, she doesn't have anything in common with CHARNAME anymore. It served as a source of inspiration, nothing more. "There's nothing new under the sun" is a phrase that's more than 2,000 years old, you realize.

>Oh, and you play modules instead of coming up with your own adventures and act as if that's proper instead of a crutch for shit DMs.

You're advancing a false dichotomy. I've run my own campaigns. I've also used modules. There's no reason why a DM can't use both as the mood strikes him.
>>
>>54603039
Yes, but you should go to some lengths to explain why men have higher standards. Even if contraceptives are easily available, were they throughout all of history, enough so that a culture of women's chastity being seen as valuable never formed at all?
>>
>>54603053
Yeah, maybe. Or perhaps this could be the case for a nonhuman race with an inherent ability to control their fertility.
>>
>>54603079
Consider what that implies, physiologically, then.

For instance in Harry Turtledove's "Worldwar" series, Earth is invaded by an alien race that is only in heat for a few weeks out of a given year, roughly. They're utterly baffled by humans' ability to be sexually active most of their adult lives more or less nonstop. When a fantasy drug which is literally just ginger unnaturally triggers their physiological response to mating season, it completely wreaks havoc on their society because they're used to having no sex drive when they're getting shit done.
>>
File: 1397156932272.jpg (187KB, 1298x970px) Image search: [Google]
1397156932272.jpg
187KB, 1298x970px
>>54603052 >>54602976

It's actually 5:30 AM where I am and I have to go to sleep now, since in less than 8 hours I'm going to be DM'ing and should probably get some sleep before doing so. So you'll have plenty of time, Anon, to regale me with the details of one of your own character's growth and development over the course of a campaign and to wow me with how "original" their personality and backstory is.

In the meantime...I dunno, here, have this image. It's been fun.
>>
>>54602323
>fatigues on the left suits the armour on the right better than the fatigues on the right
>>
>>54603052

isn't the "raised by humans" one of the only ways to have a lore friendly drow who doesn't want to kill everything else?
>>
>>54603052

Autism speaks.
>>
>>54584203
I dunno why people disagree with this. Your gender definitely effects more than just your appearance. How disjointed from reality do you need to be to think men and women are the same in every way besides how they look?
Why would you write a character with a personality you could put on anything? That would require a very shallow character, and wouldn't feel real. Even the smallest character traits should matter in some way, and depending on the setting; gender could be a large character trait.

Just don't try to make them constantly relatable because it immediately feels forced and unnatural.
>>
File: 676586357547.jpg (79KB, 680x1000px) Image search: [Google]
676586357547.jpg
79KB, 680x1000px
Women are as diverse a group as men, so the question of how to roleplay one is about as specific or useful as "how would I roleplay a male". The answer to both is limitless and subject only to your imagination.

>>54598527
She's the breadwinner and their economic situation calls for adventuring rather than a normal job.

>>54602884
I sang this in my head to the tune of Rick Astley.
>>
File: 1500498251826.png (53KB, 196x190px) Image search: [Google]
1500498251826.png
53KB, 196x190px
So what I'm gathering from this thread is a mix "it shouldn't matter" and "never ever do it because it's unoriginal and badwrong fun."

Glad to see we have good discussion.
>>
>>54603312
nobody said either of those things
>>
>>54603448
Lots of people have said 'who gives a fuck'.
>>
>>54603448
At least a handful of people have said that you shouldn't do it because you wouldn't be accurate to a real woman, therefore it's badwrong and a terrible character. Did you even read the thread?
>>
>>54585375
I believe you have shit taste in films. is that better?
>>
>>54598414
As much as I like muh watermelons, I would concur with your statement.
>>
>>54603472
>At least a handful
>Like 3
>Out of 64
I know it makes you feel really smart to sit and smugly mischaracterize the discussion as futile, but have you considered that maybe it's that attitude which caused the decline in quality discussion in the first place?
>>
>>54602939
I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I've always hated that analogy. It doesn't really make any sense. One could just as well say women should be promiscuous, because a pencil sharpener that only sharpens one pencil is a shitty pencil sharpener.

I'm inclined to view it more in terms of biology. Simply, women actually have to deal with being pregnant, while men don't. If every time you had sex there was a chance you'd be invalided for nine months, you'd be more selective about your partners too.
>>
>>54603572
1-3 out of 64 bro. 255 posts with 64 posters, odds are against it being 3 different people. I'd go with 2.
>>
>>54604466
That's not how metaphors work.
>>
>>54604466
It's not about just having to deal with nine months of being invalidated alone, it's about the man having to take care of the child. A man has to dedicate his resources to the child, so he wants to be pretty fucking sure that it's actually his child. He can only be certain of this if he's the only one having sex with his wife. Conversely, if a man just fucks some side ho and gets her pregnant, he could historically either chose to provide for her child as well or kick her and her child to the curb. The latter possibility also made it the better move for women to remain virgins until marriage and not cheat on their husbands afterwards.

This is also for example why in Ancient Rome a woman was adulterous if she slept with any man who wasn't her husband, yet a Roman man was only adulterous when he slept with a Roman female citizen he wasn't married to: slaves, foreigners and peregrines were fair game, probably because Roman law did not apply to them ergo there was no obligation to provide for any children resulting from such a union.

The "sexist" laws of our ancestors made sense because our ancestors weren't fucking morons. They were just as intelligent as we are today and trying to solve their own problems like we are today. The difference is that they didn't have their own noses up their asses, sniffing in their own farts while virtue signaling based on borderline marxist ideas of equality.

>>54602980
>what's the other very good reason
See above: the man has to provide for that child. If you want to get around that, I guess you could play a single mother (UGH) who adventures to provide for the result of her licentious lifestyle.
>>
>>54604680
At the risk of sounding like an SJW, we're not the Romans, and material conditions have changed to the point where that kind of outlook isn't really relevant. A woman is perfectly capable of providing for a child these days, and the mechanics of carrying on blood lines are far less important in a society where all wealth is funneled through the eldest male.

Society affects how biological principles are expressed, just as biology affects society.
>>
>>54604763
>and material conditions have changed to the point where that kind of outlook isn't really relevant.
Only because of laws that can now force the man to provide for any child he spawns, and even children he doesn't spawn. In a hypothetical libertarian state, would would automatically become less licentious purely out of neccessity. We are biologically very much the same as the Romans, we've just bullheadedly decided to go against said biology. Even two millennia of social change cannot overturn millions of years of evolution.

>Society affects how biological principles are expressed
They clearly do not, as shown in modern society's decreasing marriage and fertility rates. The most succesful societies are built around biological truths, the most failing ones choose to ignore them in the name of ideology. Much like the Soviet Union's agriculture, which failed because it rejected Darwinism for being too bourgeois and instead adopted some cooky theory in which weeds could be "taught" how to become wheat and plants could be "taught" to "work together".
>>
My problem is when players just make their "waifus". Its pretty annoying, i've been in groups were a player would basically make his character as that.

On the flip end, i've seen good male Rp'ers. As with all advice it just depends how you do it.
>>
The advice about deciding their gender later is actually sorta solid. There have been many characters I've made in which I've changed their gender at the end of character gen.

For example, I once made a character that was a summoner. He would summon everything through paintings. I then took all the negative traits regarding luck and realized that it would be more enduring for the character to be female.

On the flip side, I once made a rigger who was a hot shot racer. She turned to shadow running after acquiring a massive debt. In this occasion, i realized that the character would be better off male.

So it can change.
>>
>>54602151
She could. That's part of the reason she sucks and anon's entire point.

If you just bolted a pair of tits on Anakin and made him never evolve out of his optimistic kid phase you'd just get Rey, except Rey is a lot more Force competent even without training for some reason.
>>
>>54603122
There's like a million different ways. But it's the one I went with since, again, the character ultimately has origins as CHARNAME from Baldur's Gate.

The difference being that CHARNAME was raised by a fairly retired-adventurer human mage in a library-fortress and secretly, it turns out, was the child of Bhaal, the God of Murder; whereas Iliira was raised by a human innkeeper in a fishing village (who used to be a fisher himself until an accident left him with a lame arm) and secretly, it turns out, has no deep secrets about her person.

>>54603529
Secretly actually I think all of them were legal options, except maybe Kaolla since I can't remember her age. Or, and not Sarah either, but then she was never in the running.

Anyway, at the time of Love Hina's publishing, and actually up to about last year, the age of consent in Japan was 13.

>>54605222
> except Rey is a lot more Force competent even without training for some reason.

Could it be because Rey is twice Anakin's age? Anakin was 9 in Phantom Menace. Already he was good enough with the Force to be the only human capable of podracing, not to mention that it MUST have been those same Force reflexes protecting him/letting him take out the Droid Control Ship during the Battle of Naboo.
>>
>>54606045
I meant that she was able to rip info out of someone else's head even though she'd only ever heard of the force in bedtime stories.

The only thing the Force gave Anakin in Ep. 1 was fast reflexes, and those on Rey don't bother me (though that bit with Fin in the malfunctioning turret was kind of BS). She's going around jedi-mind tricking mooks even when a Jedi master like Qui Gon can't get that move to land reliably. She's too good for a beginner.
>>
>>54606119
Qui-gon only attempts two mind tricks in Phantom Menace (Boss Nass and Watto), and the only reason why one of them fails is because he tries it on a species that mind tricks just physiologically don't work on.

Rey meanwhile mind tricks a single Stormtrooper, after two failed attempts on the same target. And Stormtroopers are the archetypal easy targets for a mind trick. Just because the Stormtrooper was played by James Bond doesn't mean he has the willpower of Bond.
>>
>>54603476
End this shitty pasta
>>
>>54606173
>there will never be a James Bond Agent of the Empire series.
>>
>>54606910
I think it's called the Imperial Agent storyline of The Old Republic MMO. Which if I recall correctly is actually regarded as the best out of the 8, with "Lightside Imperial Agent" ending up being the most socially and mentally well-adjusted person.
>>
>>54601505
Daughter of town guard captain. Wants to be the best and protect home, town is probably fucked when she returns.
>>
>>54602581
underrated post, though it hasn't any elaboration so I'm not surprised.
I was about to say
>this thread has gone to shit
But then remembered the thread started with trolling for crossrp discussion. I don't know what I expected really.
>>
File: 1476105392064.png (144KB, 594x530px) Image search: [Google]
1476105392064.png
144KB, 594x530px
>>54605080
>My problem is when players just make their "waifus". Its pretty annoying, i've been in groups were a player would basically make his character as that.
Describe to me a female PC that isn't waifu material. Hell, describe to me a female NPC that isn't waifu material. They all are, and you have to actively put effort into making them just as irredeemably shit as 3D women.

I'd waifu any given female NPC or PC I've ever written or created, even the evil ones. All of them have *something* admirable about them, otherwise they wouldn't be major characters in an escapist TTRPG.
>>
>>54578444
>>54578405
>>54578458
This. Only /r/redpill users think women think like aliens. Just play it like a human. Potentially one that likes buff guys
>>
>>54578364
Women make for good characters because they can be victims of multiple rapes and rape leads to well fleshed out characters and a good rp experience
>>
How would tiefling women act? Would it be like a pseudo-succubus?
>>
>>54609718
That or trying to be as far from the demonic orgin as possible
>>
>>54605222

The implication is that she's Anakin reincarnated and they found it out during her early training. Hence why she was abandoned into a fucking desert.
>>
File: 6122777647_fe5662581f_b (1).jpg (251KB, 1024x640px) Image search: [Google]
6122777647_fe5662581f_b (1).jpg
251KB, 1024x640px
>>54609718
>succubus

Erinyes.
Thread posts: 279
Thread images: 58

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.