[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 361
Thread images: 52

>Unearthed Arcana: Greyhawk Initiative:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAGreyhawkInitiative.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
>>54570347

What "makes" a dragon encounter truly memorable? How big of an impact does the DM's portrayal of the dragon go towards "selling" it to the players?
>>
>>54577795
TPK normally does it
>>
>What makes a dragon memorable
The DM playing it smart and not just a wall of HP
Nobody will forget the dragon that forced the party to spend a week running from cover to cover as it blasts them with breath attacks from maximum range.
>>
>>54577839
>60 ft. cone

Yeah, about that.
>>
I'm preparing for Bryn Shandar frost giant raid in SKT.

Reading about giants and frost giants (MM, Volos) I have devised this encounter

The frost giants timed their raid for a blizzard so strong winds, extreme cold and low visibility in the town
Each player rolls a d100 at the start of the turn, 10% chance they are targeted by a stray rock, DC 15 Dex or take 4d10+6
Frost giants have heavy furs, leather, bone and scraps of iron covering their legs, which is armour with AC 15 and 35 HP

3 frost giants and wolves attack and break down southwest gate, one stays at gate, one goes to tavern for ale and another goes to market. Winter wolves track sirac to temple

Sounds OK? I'm having the players attempt to get to the armory and unlock it for the militia and need to rally the frightened town guards

They'll need to climb the giants, jump off from buildings or lure them or trip[ them to do real damage

I want a tense encounter in the temple as two winterwolves pace its halls and search for sirac and a player
>>
Is adamantine armor metal?
>>
>>54578020
Yes
>>
https://www.orcpub2.com/ is a great character builder. And there's a bestiary, and spell and item compendiums.
It prints out your spells as spell cards.
>>
What is the official way to map Burning Hands cone? I've found like 100 different cone templates but I have no idea what's right.
>>
What would be some interesting quests a high level party could do in Thanatos, the Belly of Death, Orcus' domain of the Abyss?
>>
>>54578056
But making characters in 5e is already easy enough
>>
>>54578059
5e cones are 53 degrees from the point of origin. So the thinner ones, not the 3.pf templates.
>>
>>54578074
True, but sometimes you just want an already filled in form.
>>
File: 5e_monster_and_spell_import.png (24KB, 588x583px) Image search: [Google]
5e_monster_and_spell_import.png
24KB, 588x583px
I found the Roll20 importing tool on https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html and it's super helpful for loading in monsters especially. Is there anything similar to this but for pregen player characters?
>>
I'm thinking of making a Ranger/Monk because my character was basically part of some wilderness Monks who took care of a Dragon. It's a setting thing.

Would going 3 Levels in Hunter and then the rest in Sun Soul work alright? I know I lose Extra Attack early on but I do get the Horde Breaker attack and Close Quarters Shooter fighting style.

Or would taking 5 in Monk then the 3 Rangers levels be a better idea?
>>
What are some good monsters from the MM to use as pissed off nature spirits?
>>
>>54577795
https://www.orcpub2.com/

Don't forget to add all of the sources.
>>
>>54578365
Have you considered full Monk with Outlander background?
>>
>>54578379
What kind of nature? Forests, lakes, mountains, caves, swamps...?
>>
>>54578365
I'd second >>54578422 's idea of a Monk with Outlander. If you're really set on having spells, you could probably go for a level in Druid or taking Magic Initiate instead.

Depends on what you're after with Ranger really.
>>
File: maxresdefault-3.jpg (214KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault-3.jpg
214KB, 1600x1200px
>>54578423
Forest
>>
>>54578379
>>54578447
Depends on the level of your players. Elementals of various sorts are always a good fit.

A Scarecrow might be a good option if you fluff it as a being made of more natural materials, like possessed wood and tinder.
>>
>>54578379
I'm particularly fond of the Wood Woad. Counts as an elemental for my player's Moon Druid
>>
>>54577883
Acid just rains tho
>>
>>54578421
I'm glad my suggestion means it makes it into the OP. /casts suggestion.
>>
>>54578447
Treants, Dryads, Lycanthropes, Displacer Beasts, and Owlbears are always decent choices, depending on the level of the party. Jackalweres and Gnolls work for a more evil or "dark forest" setting. Faerie Dragons, Sprites, and Pixies fit a more Fey theme and are more about fucking with people than killing them.

My favorite though is probably spiders... giant spiders, phase spiders, maybe even Driders
>>
File: Low-Magic Classes for 5e.pdf (8MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Low-Magic Classes for 5e.pdf
8MB, 1x1px
So I made/refined/stole/otherwise worked on a bunch of low-magic 5e classes over the past week. Tell me what you think, /5eg/!

>Beastmaster
Replaces the druid

>Knight
Replaces the paladin

>Scholar
Replaces the cleric, sorcerer, and wizard

>Scout
Replaces the Ranger.

>Troubadour
Replaces the Bard

In addition, a low-magic game should obviously include the Barbarian, Fighter, Monk, and Rogue, although probably not their spell-slinging kits (Eldritch Knight, Way of the Four Elements, Arcane Trickster).

The Warlock is interesting in that it's kind of low-magic as-is despite theoretically being a full caster. It'd probably be a good thing to use in a low-magic game to represent a powerful archmage, like Xaltotun from Conan or Gandalf from Lord of the Rings. Otherwise it shouldn't be a PC class.

(Yes yes yes, I know Gandalf is technically an angel, but you know what I'm driving at)
>>
File: Scholar Spells.pdf (4MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Scholar Spells.pdf
4MB, 1x1px
>>54578637
And here's the Scholar spells.
>>
>>54578637
If I was going for a low magic game but still including Warlock then I'd have there be some sort of disadvantage to them using their spells to keep it in line with the theme
>>
>>54578694
Probably as simple as playing up the fact that they're working for their patron and making things more strict in that regard.
>>
>>54578694
Well, that's probably what my Scholar's Magic Mishaps table is for.
>>
Which mystic order is the most fun?
>>
I have a player who wants to play a blind wizard who "sees" with his familiar. He wants to change
>Additionally, as an action, you can see through your familiar's eyes and hear what it hears until the start of your next turn
to
>until you spend another action to end this effect

Is there anything wrong with this? He's not generally a fag so I'm not worried about shenanigans, I'm just trying to think of any weird ramifications of it that might crop up later.
>>
>>54578801
What's the point of being blind if he's going to be able to see anyway - possibly better than he could otherwise, given the enhanced senses of some familiars?
>>
>>54578831
Because dead familiar = blind for at least an hour
>>
>>54578801
Only if you make his familiar getting killed in combat or separated from him a real possibility.
>>
File: Ae9uuGM.jpg (822KB, 2400x2850px) Image search: [Google]
Ae9uuGM.jpg
822KB, 2400x2850px
>>54577917
The 3 town attacks in the beginning of SKT are supposed to illustrate how unprepared the North is for giant raids, and how devastating such an attack would be. The PCs are a sideshow, helping townsfolk escape and distracting the giants' minions from destroying necessary resources and industry within the town.
I did the Triboar encounter as I didn't want the party to spend too too much time with Zephyros and I figured Triboar was a nice central location to set them down in.
As long as you play the giants like a force of nature and kind of a background narrative it will work just fine.
>>
What's the order in which a Battlemaster selects maneuvers as they level up?
>>
I NEED 2 COMBAT ENCOUNTERS FOR 4 OR SO LEVEL 3 CHARACTERS HELP AAAH
>>
>>54578956
What environment? Context?
>>
>>54578950
Which ever order they select.

>>54578801
I mean, he could just be a Voice of the Chain Master warlock, which explicitly gives them that. But yeah, is he okay with what happens in familiar dies?
>>
>>54578801
Someone once played a blind Monk (original character do not steal) in a campaign I was in who could "see" through echolocation, and the DM typed up like 3 pages on how the mechanics of it would work, how many squares the echo would travel depending on what material she hit with her quarterstaff and forcing her to restock rocks during exploration and short rests so she could throw them to see further away and what spells would inhibit her echolocation, like thunderclap or silence.

She ended up dropping the concept because she just wanted to be able to see the same as everyone else except her character has a blindfold.
>>
Normal initiative is boring and Greyhawk Initiative is too convoluted to be fun, so I came up with an initiative that depends on a combination of class type and movement speed. Tell me what you guys think :
Everyone rolls a standard d10, then the following classes roll the following additional dice*:
Wizards, Druids, and Paladins: 1d6
Clerics, Sorcerors, and Warlocks: 1d8
Rangers, Barbarians, and Fighters: 1d10
Bards, Monks, and Rogues: 1d12

After rolling those dice, there's a speed modifier addition for every 10 feet, rounding down(current speed value, doesn't matter how); +3 for 30 feet, +4 for 40 feet, +4 for 45 feet, etc.

This is how it would turn out;
>a level 10 rogue with a speed of 40 feet rolls a d10, a d12, with a modifier of +4
>a level 10 dwarven fighter with a speed of 25 rolls 2d10 with a modifier of +2

*Multi-classing characters roll the dice associated with the class they have the most levels in (e.g. A 13 Barbarian/7 Rogue would roll a d10), and characters with an even split roll the lowest-valued die (e.g. A 10 Bard/10 Wizard rolls a d6, not a d12); until XGE releases, UA hasn't been considered
For now I'll call this the variant Diamond Initiative since new variants must have cool names according to WoTC, what do you guys think?
>>
>>54578932 >>54577917
Also your giant should totally sing.

STORM KING'S THUNDER: THE MUSICAL is totally something I WILL make happen!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eHkjPCGXKQ

>Ohh! Ohh!
>We come from the land
>Of the ice and snow
>From the midnight sun
>Where the hot springs blow

>The hammer of the gods
>Will drive our ships to new lands
>To fight and howl
>Sing and cry
>Annam we are coming

>On we sweep with threshing oar
>Our only goal will be the southern shore!

>Ohh! Ohh!
>We come from the land
>Of the ice and snow
>From the midnight sun
>Where the hot springs blow

>How soft their fields so green
>With whispered tales of gore
>Cannot becalm the tides of war
>We are their overlords

>On we sweep with threshing oar
>Our only goal will the the southern shore!

>See how we sweep the land
>And reduce all to ruin
>The ice giants will win the day
>And our worth will be proven
>>
>>54578975
wow what a waste of the GMs work
do you have the pages? that sounds dope
>>
>>54578975
That sounds way too fucking in depth. Three pages of mechanics sounds like it would kill any fun of the theme, and works against 5E build.

>Would have been far better off just letting them generate noises in whatever way they want; whether kipping, shouting, throwing rocks, whatever, and give advantage/disadvantage based on the scenario they are in. Wooooo.
>>
>>54578972
I thought that only removed the range limitation? And yeah, we've discussed that. Part of the reason he wants to do it at all is that it's good drama fuel.
>>
>>54578999
>a blind character ever having advantage
>>
>>54578991
Switch Bards and Rangers and it seems fine
>>
>>54578975
A player in a game I played did something similar, though he was a 4 elements monk and learned it mid-play instead. Even then, the DM just ruled it as a sort of 'tremorsense' where he could sense anything touching the ground within a short radius.

It's cool that your DM did all that for it, but at the same time it does sound rather complicated for that purpose.
>>
>>54578967
forest enviroment, probably one of humans, other of dogs or some shit. Game is soon and I only prepared a map and not actual monsters.
>>
>>54579013
I largely assumed that it was in regards to a check. Advantage/disadvantage to the check; if its a closed and echo-y environment you get a fantastic read on the place (Advantage), if it's a wide open space and you've nothing to reflect sound off of, you get a poor read of the space (Disadvantage).

What the check explicitly is, I leave open. With the way that the anon describes their GM, I basically assume that they are making a homebrew 'Echolocation Skill Check' - so certain stuff is advantageous to that, certain stuff is not. Works easier than three fucking pages.
>>
Black Dragon carries a party member 200 feet straight into the air and drops him. 200 feet below on the ground, the Tempest Cleric has readied an action to cast Thunderwave straight as the party member gets within 10 feet of hitting the ground. Assuming the party member lands within the cube covered by Thunderwave, what happens to him?
>>
>>54579053

**cast Thunderwave straight up
>>
>>54579053
Might just have the Cleric make a Reflex save to half the player's fall damage, or reduce it by the damage he would deal with the Thunderwave.
>>
>>54579045
Some ideas:
>humans attacked by a pack of Jackalweres or a few Wererats
>party ambushed by a Displacer Beast or Phase Spider
>party encounters a Green Dragon Wyrmling that is one its first independent hunt
>>
A large thicket of brush is in the player's way, it's all dead wood and plants and twig blights and if they want they can walk through at half speed, attempt to power through it with con checks, or clear a path with bladed weapons, taking more time and making noise but it leaves them a clear path through

What happens if someone casts burning hands on it
>>
>>54579236
>What happens if someone casts burning hands on it
It fuckin burns
And you can assume all the Twig Blights die because the only way they could survive is by making the saving throw and rolling minimum damage
>>
>>54579176
thanks friend.
>>
>>54578994
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzCpFR3_JTI
>>
>>54579290
But how much of it burns

The thicket covers at least 150 feet of space in an area, probably closer to 200
>>
>>54579402
It's dry brush. Fires in dry brush spread incredibly rapidly, so if they don't somehow get it under control IMMEDIATELY it will burn up the entire thicket within minutes.
>>
About to start a Tales of the Yawning Portal campaign, and trying to decide what class to make.

From what I have read, it is mostly dungeons right? Would making a character that specializes more in social encounters than combat be a mistake for this?
>>
>>54579435
>From what I have read, it is mostly dungeons right? Would making a character that specializes more in social encounters than combat be a mistake for this?
What do you think, genius?
>>
>>54579435
Yep. Unless you plan to socialize with the traps, or something.
>>
>>54579435
Oh yeah. The social encounters are heavily scripted and bipolar.
>>
>>54579442

I wasn't aware if there were social aspects in between the dungeons. Or maybe you meet another group of adventurers in the dungeons, or just a large amount of NPCs you come across in them. I know nothing about it.
>>
>>54579486
There are some social encounters, but it's primarily dungeons

For example, sunless citadel allows you to ally with kobolds and wipe out some goblins for them, and try to return their stolen dragon, or you could ally with goblins and wipe out kobolds. But mostly it's dungeon crawling
>>
File: il_fullxfull.949715806_ct2u.jpg (315KB, 1300x974px) Image search: [Google]
il_fullxfull.949715806_ct2u.jpg
315KB, 1300x974px
So I've got a player who is trying to play as a Rogue who kills targets with throwing daggers and poisoned darts, only going into melee if needed. Currently I've homebrewed up a simple Belt of Returning (any weapon attached to the belt returns to it after being thrown if the user wants it to return), but want to give him something that might be of more benefit to him later on in the campaign. Here's what I've come up with:

> Cloak of Feathers
Cloak, rare, requires attunement

Description: a leather mantle and hood with threads going down the back, where a series of colored magical feathers rest upon them.

Effect: Your movement speed increases by 5 feet. In addition, as an Action you can whip the cloak around to magically launch one of the feathers and do a Ranged Attack against a foe. You are proficient with the attack roll, and use your Dexterity modifier. The range on the feather is 30/90. On hit, it deals 1d6 + Dex. modifier slashing damage. Sneak Attack can apply to the damage rolls of the feathers. Up to five feathers can be thrown in this fashion.

As a reaction, you can speak a keyword and magically call back the thrown daggers, assuming they are within 180 ft. of your current position. They take the shortest possible path to you, and any creature in the way must make a DC 15 Dex save or take 1d6 slashing damage from the recalled feather, half damage on a success.

Pic slightly related.
>>
>>54579705
>thrown daggers

I meant thrown feathers, my mistake.
>>
>>54579705
Why not making it a melee weapon attack with the finesse and thrown property?
>>
Anyone know of a token pack with spell effects? Looking for like lines, blast, cone, etc of various elements.
>>
>>54579841
More Purple, More Better
>>
File: xayah.png (485KB, 473x649px) Image search: [Google]
xayah.png
485KB, 473x649px
>>54579705
sounds fun, choosing between cunning action or recalling could lead to some interesting set ups.
>>
>>54579776
Because if the feathers were razor sharp while being worn, it'd run the risk of cutting up the wearer or whomever the wearer bumped into. The feathers only get razor sharp once thrown by the magics in the cloak, and retain said sharpness until it re-connects with the cloak.
>>
>>54579853
That was the idea behind it; right now most Rogues can just Cunning Action away with little consequence. But if there's a lot of foes in front of them, or one particularly large thing, they can suddenly go, "caw caw, bitch," and give a flurry of feathers up the foe's butt.
>>
>>54579852
All I'm seeing is a Character Sheet, Spell Sheet, and Adventure log in search results.
>>
>>54578020
No it's made of pinecones
>>
>>54579877
When you say 5 feathers, can you throw all five at once, or only one at a time?
>>
>>54579853
>choosing between cunning action or recalling
But the recall is a reaction, so it doesn't interfere with Cunning Action, which is a bonus action
>>
What's more fun, a Totalitarian Drow Society, or the usual Forgotten Realms style one? The first would be more like magical north korea, while I have yet to do research for the second.
>>
>>54579053
Falling PC makes Athletics or Acrobatics check to land on top of the Thunderwave. Cleric makes a ???* check to cast it at the right time. If both succeed, falling PC takes double Thunderwave damage (2d8*2) plus 3d6 as he is pushed up then falls the rest of the way. If falling PC fails, cleric must rush over to the right spot, making a Concentration check (Con save) to maintain hold of the spell as he runs and then make a ??? check. Either way, if the cleric fails his ??? check, he only reduces falling damage by 2d8.

*Could be Wisdom because that's how much he has control over his magic, Dexterity because his reflexes to cast at the right time, or Intelligence because calculations
>>
>>54579966
yeah I'm a moron and didn't read properly
>>
Anyone played College of Swords bard? I am thinking about going Variant Human to pick up a shield for some mega AC. Is it any good?
>>
>>54579946
Only one feather can be thrown per Action. A maximum of 5 feathers can be thrown out in this fashion before it "runs out" of throwable feathers and you have to recall them back into the cloak.
>>
>>54579910
It's page 7 on character sheet
>>
>>54580004
Nevermind, I forgot what you meant by "token pack"
>>
>>54579236
From the description of Burning Hands:
>The fire ignites any flammable objects in the area that aren't being worn or carried.
So the fire starts to spread through the thicket slowly burning all of it. Any twig blights that weren't in the original blast can then decide to flee from the fire, giving away their position. if they come into contact with the fire at any moment, they must save or catch fire, taking 1d10 fire damage at the start of each of its turns.
>>
>>54578020
Yes the only dmg armour you can get away with as a druid is dragonscale or +x hide/leather
>>
>>54579705
You could just say "as an action, you can magically launch one of the feathers. Make a ranged weapon attack with which you are proficient. A feather has the following stats: Damage: 1d6 slashing. Properties: Ammunition (range 30/90)."
This wording already has the info you need to say. Since it is ranged, you use Dex mod to attack. Since it's a ranged weapon, you can apply Dex mod and Sneak attack to damage.

I hope you use a grid, because keeping track of where a feather fell relative to the rogue and the monsters sounds bothersome otherwise. And you should probably make it deal no damage on a successful save.
>>
>>54578098
if your treating it as a sector with arclength equal to radius its 1 radian or about 57 degrees.

if you treat it as an actual cone in 3d space then the angle is 60 degrees as it makes an equilateral triangle in the plane.
>>
>>54580206
I do use a grid, it's the only reason why I'm making such a magical item.

And your wording is cleaner than mine, and would be correct.
>>
>>54579045
Blink dogs
>>
How much would it imbalance the game to change a PC from Humanoid to Abberation as far as spells and effects that can target them go?
>>
Is there a way to hide the GM layer on roll20? Setting up a room with a lot of stacked items and having trouble seeing the player view.
>>
>>54580354
Move them to the map layer, then select the map image and click "move to front". This will hide all of your tokens behind the map background. When you need them to come up, select the map image and click "move to back".

This method will immediately reveal everything that's hidden to your players though, so be careful with it.
>>
Who would you say the defining gods for each alignment are? Like Primus being 100% pure LN
>>
>>54580439
Yeah, was trying to avoid that, thank you though, I'll just deal with this and learn to use better color contrast and placement next time around.
>>
>>54580502
Bahamut for LG, Tymora for CG.
>>
>>54580311

Biggest thing that comes to mind is you'd be immune to Hold Person. And it might fuck with things like favored enemy. That player would also be affected if his target had Protection from Evil and Good up.
>>
File: 1495100774396.jpg (79KB, 716x768px) Image search: [Google]
1495100774396.jpg
79KB, 716x768px
>He picks his spells based on mechanical effectiveness rather than how much they fit the character.
>>
>>54580649
Somewhat fitting because Bane is pretty crappy when it comes to mechanical effectiveness compared to other spells that require concentration
>>
File: Bane foreyue.jpg (128KB, 480x330px) Image search: [Google]
Bane foreyue.jpg
128KB, 480x330px
>>54580649
>when that one person at the table goes all out despite being mechanically inferior to the top tiers
>>
Would a critical hit with Mystic's Knock Back deal double damage dice?
>>
>>54580779
Nah. It's not part of the attack itself, but triggering off a reaction. It occurs wholly after the attack in a way that, say, deciding that your sword stab was really a Trip Attack all along doesn't. Literally delayed reaction anime explosion horseshit.
>>
>>54580808
That's what I figured, I suppose that makes Brute Strike the better choice when hitting paralyzed enemies, (though trouble with that one is you need to hit while you can attempt Knock Back after you already hit.
>>
>>54579076
>Reflex save
>>54579053
If the falling PC fails the save they get pushed up and when they land they only take the 10ft. Fall plus thunder damage
>>
File: IMG-20170728-WA0000.jpg (82KB, 750x734px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20170728-WA0000.jpg
82KB, 750x734px
I'm getting anxiety over my second session as a DM.

Among a variety of things, I'm worried that the Original adventure premise that I came up with is going to peter out and be boring.

Which of the following should I do?

1) gradually convert the Mines of Phandalin campaign to map onto what the players have already learned about our setting, basically loading their first session onto it starting at Phandalin

2) convert a bunch of subsets of a variety of different campaigns into side stories and have the players play through, gradually letting the Setting take shape based on what they uncover and their assumptions, without letting on I don't know where the fuck we are going

3) take my cues from subsets of other campaigns, but ultimately try and create new plot hooks for side quests as I gradually piece a larger conflict together for my players

Right now, I'm basically tied to "you've all come to this island seeking some mysterious and rumored power - several adventurers may have already gone missing"

They have a mcguffin that will let them investigate a cult I have planned and gradually piss people off as they learn more and more, but beyond that, I have no clue what's going to happen.
>>
>>54580870
Over my *upcoming* second session as dm
>>
>>54579974
If you want magical North Korea try Red Wizards
>>
>>54580544
>Bahamut
>not Torm or Moradin
>>54580502
If you want a good to represent each alignment, then it'd make sense to start by seeing who rules over each aligned plane. Celestia, the LG plane, is ruled by Torm.
>Celestia, LG, ruled by Torm
>Elysium, NG, I think Chauntea?
>Arborea, CG, probably Corellon or Tymora
>The Nine Hells, LE, Asmodeus
>Hades, NE, I'd say Shar or Myrkul
>The Abyss, CE, would Demogorgon be considered a deity?

Even though Mechanus is ruled by Primus, I'd be tempted to say Kelembor represents LN better. No idea on CN or TN.
>>
>>54580649
>when the wizard doesn't take Fireball or Lightningbolt
>and you are the DM

You, son, are fucked
>>
>>54580861
What's wrong with a Reflex save to see if the Cleric can properly time and angle a wave of thunderous energy at someone hurtling towards the ground at incredibly high speeds?
>>
>>54580914
He meant
>using terminology from past editions because the Reflex save no longer exists in 5E and it's just Dex / Int
>>
>>54580914
>Reflex save
There is no such thing in 5e
>>
File: 1470588543714.png (209KB, 1342x1190px) Image search: [Google]
1470588543714.png
209KB, 1342x1190px
>>54579974
The Forgotten Realms style one can, itself, totally still be North Korea. In fact it's Menzoberranzan that inspired Drow North Korea to begin with.
>>
File: 1501151313656.jpg (233KB, 400x422px) Image search: [Google]
1501151313656.jpg
233KB, 400x422px
>>54580870
CAN SOMEONE JUST TELL ME HOW TO MAKE SURE THAT MY CAMPAIGN DOESN'T FALL APART AAH

-how can I make sure they have fun?
-how can I make sure that all these different plot hooks add up to a narratively satisfying end?
-how can I make sure that it doesn't feel like a bunch of random shit slopped together? I feel okayly confident as far as making individual encounters and side-quests interesting, but how do I get it all to go somewhere meaningful?
>>
>>54580962
You can't, and wing it for the other two because shit never goes as planned.
>>
>>54580962
Ask them. Talk to your players.

Take notes on your hooks and story arcs, figure out what didn't get resolved and warrants being bought back and given closure. Talk to your players. Ask them what story beats they want to see to the end that didn't quite get an end in that arc.

Look at your notes on previous stories. Check how they link together. Make sure they have impact on the wider world, even if it's just a random NPC at a tavern going 'hey did you hear about so and so happening on the other side of the river?'. Talk to your players. Ask how they feel about how the events are impacting the world. Ask what sort of changes it may have made to their character on a personal level.
>>
File: 1500944089394.jpg (27KB, 296x341px) Image search: [Google]
1500944089394.jpg
27KB, 296x341px
Someone tell me if this encounter is shit:

There's this frontier ranch, yeah? If the party comes across it, a smooth talking dude walks out and tries to convince them everything's alright (and does a good job of it). If they start getting cagey, the guy's mute kid comes out. Helps sell the story, yeah?

Let's say they walk away. Eventually they come across a village. Gossip reveals "oh yeah, it's a shame what happened to the Ellisons" - basically divulges that this family had been murdered by bandits and that their ranch had been taken over. More convo reveals that this was the same ranch the players saw earlier today.

NOW. What's actually happened is the bandits murdered everyone, the guy that comes out is actually one of them and trying to stall or chase away the party until the rest of the bandit troupe returns, his "kid" that comes out is actually a halfling in disguise (and will have a really gravelly voice if it gets revealed). Let's say all of this is information that could be revealed in the first visit if they get suspicious and start making checks.
>>
So are those UA mass combat rules any good or should I make my own up?
>>
>>54581052
Sounds fine to me
>>
File: 1501012744477.jpg (46KB, 591x656px) Image search: [Google]
1501012744477.jpg
46KB, 591x656px
>>54581052
Now IN MY HEAD this is great bc:

-if they figure it out in the first visit, they'll feel like geniuses, and the little boy being revealed to be a murderous Hobbit and sounding like the slug lady from Monsters Inc should be funny

-if they only figure it out once they get back to the village, they'll be super mad at being tricked plus at the evilness of it all. They get to plan a trip back to lay siege to the fort or whatever, fight against the full troupe.

BUT what if they just get frustrated and annoyed at not uncovering anything meaningful in the first visit. What if backtracking is annoying for them. What if they're fucking idiots and I'm a shit DM. Is it even an okay premise for a side quest? I'm so uncertain about it I'm leaving room for, in the event the players convince them to let them stay for dinner, that I actually flip the script and just play it straight as a frontier family getting menaced by marauders and entreating the players to help. Is that a good back-pocket plan? Am I just shit at this?
>>
>>54581103
D&D is not a mass combat game and having a whole rule subset to focus on such large battles completely misses the point.

Handwave large combat and focus on the party's role in the larger conflict.
>>
>>54581052
It's ok, but why are the bandits still in the ranch? Shouldn't they have left after the murder?
>>
>>54581052
Personally I'd go far enough to add another plot twist on it. Maybe the bandit at the ranch actually tries to get the party to do something for him, then they only find out about the attack on the ranch after trying to help him.

Maybe he asks their help recovering a family heirloom that is actually just a trophy that belongs to a rival bandit group? As a way to get the party to wipe them out for him.

If the party doesn't poke around and find out that the ranch is now bandit territory, then when they return with the "heirloom" the players get ambushed in the ranch.
>>
>>54580870
apocalypse world / dungeon world's campaign-building stuff is pretty useful for shit like this. the general idea is "figure out who's in play, how they operate, where they are, and what they'll do if the players don't stop them." then smash them into the players and each other to cause conflict and drama.

the dungeon world stuff is available online. http://www.dungeonworldsrd.com/gamemastering/fronts/ it's simplistic but your players won't care as long as it's entertaining.

>>54580962
pay attention to your players, keep track of major and minor plot events you can use later, and hope for the best.

if you have your players' best interests in mind you can't fail.
>>
>>54581112
>Am I just shit at this?
No, you're just too nervous. Relax and just do what you've planned. If it doesn't work out, then you can learn from that in the future. Not everything you do will be amazing, so just run your quests as best you can.
>>
File: 1369008347628.jpg (61KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1369008347628.jpg
61KB, 500x500px
>>54581112

A good group won't be annoyed that they have to backtrack. If it is something they missed, they will move forward and head on back in to deal with it.

> 'I'm so annoyed it wasn't spoonfed to us'

Not the mentality of a good group. If they are committed to getting better, it encourages them to be more attentive and gently lets them know that you're willing to let them make a situation worse because they didn't pick up on it.

THAT SAID.

Never 'force' things to get worse. If they make it back in time, give them a shot at minimising damage. Reward them in a sense for picking up on it and heading back.
>>
File: IMG_20170722_191118368.jpg (5MB, 2268x4032px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170722_191118368.jpg
5MB, 2268x4032px
>>54581130
So it's actually a pretty defensive thing. Remember the tower at the back corner of Lon Lon ranch? A two story, stone, single room on each floor joint. Imagine it had 20 ft walls coming out of two adjacent sides, each one story high and with room to stand on top. This makes a V shape, with the tower at the base and the walls being the arms. Now imagine there was a fence liking the tips of the two arms in a curve, kind of like a baseball diamond.

It's essentially a mini fortress. Dad built it over decades, kind of as his legacy to his kid, along with the ranch - and then the bandits figure it'd make a neat hideout and murder them all and take it.

Basically it's an opportunity for my players to get a little castle, if they want it.
>>
>>54581189
Yes, this makes sense alright, anon.
>>
>>54581131
Holy shit that's awesome. That's actually hilarious, haha.

So I could have them stumble across this ranch, spoon-feed them this sob story about this family (who is actually a small portion of bandit troupe A) getting harassed by bandit troupe B, send them on a quest to wipe them out, let them feel good, and then reveal that they had been played innocuously at some point in the future.

My only q is: how can I plausibly explain why the rest of bandit troupe A never showed up during the party's time at the ranch? I was thinking Bandit troupe A returns in the night, and then the patriarch guy they've been talking with goes out to talk with them and explain what's going on - but that doesn't explain why the troupe A wouldn't come in and immediately kill the party at that point. Is "because you guys looked tough" a reasonable excuse?
>>
>friend is DMing his first campaign, a short mystery-type deal with a secret villain toying with the party and NPCs on a train
>I have out-of-character knowledge that the villain is a Rakshasa
>the rest of my group aren't great at roleplaying and are even worse at investigating
>my character has true seeing, but as it's a level 6 spell the Rakshasa is immune to being detected by it
>we have two in-game days to expose it before the train reaches its destination and the campaign is over

Are we fucked? Obviously I'm not using OOC knowledge to determine my charcters' actions since she wouldn't know about what the creature is (yet), but theoretically how would we even go about exposing a master illusionist who's immune to being detected by our most powerful abilities and spells?
>>
>>54581188
>>54581165
>>54581134
>>54581021
Thx for all replies and encouragement. Second Q: is it okay for a second session to probably be all side-quest, in the event that they pick up a very obvious hook, withy minimal references to the overarching plot? Successful completion of the quest will reveal another lead to the main plot, but that's it.
>>
>>54581335
What are the stakes of you guys not figuring out the bad guy? If you're just trying to find the guy and prevent him from getting to the destination, shake things up:

Convince the party to run a fake robbery of the train, holding everyone hostage.

Derail the fucking train.

Stage a terrorist plot to blow up the train, and set half the party to doing that and half the party to investigating the plot, all the while seeking to out this illusionist.
>>
File: 1357718272906.jpg (79KB, 547x800px) Image search: [Google]
1357718272906.jpg
79KB, 547x800px
>>54581373

Many think of a campaign being like a river: that there are small streams that enter it but they are swept up by the strong current of the main river.

Think of your campaign more like a highway. At times, there are rest-stops or sightseeing areas off the highway that PCs may stop at for as long as they like. The highway is the main road, but the PCs can step out for at least a little while (assuming there's no time constraints or other such factors).

It is even possible that the PCs may change the overarching destination. If they find the idea of running a kingdom more fun than stopping a Lich? Make time for it. Or even make that the goal instead. But otherwise, just steer on back to the highway once it's done. Just remember that if side-story starts to become a fun-sucking quagmire? Feel free to GM some quick-fix to get back to whatever is fun. That is a good thing to keep in mind.
>>
>>54580914
No such animal, champ
>>
>>54581439
Four of the five party members were hired as security for the train's maiden voyage and the fifth (me) is just a bard hired for entertainment purposes, it's carrying a bunch of various diplomats to a neighboring kingdom to consult with the king about some economic matters.
I don't actually know what the stakes are, the only reason we even know there's something amiss is because a random train crewman was attacked (but not killed) in the baggage car.

The train is also apparently super secure, there are magical laser turrets on the ceilings that activate when they detect someone drawing a weapon
>>
>>54581439

I agree. Perhaps a character makes an anonymous phonecall to the authorities that there is a wanted criminal aboard, fleeing from Interpol (example). They will stop the train at the next stop and do an inspection. This will shake things up. BBEG will either be made uncomfortable, or start to seek the culprits. Both can lead to opportunities to work out his true identity.
>>
>>54579045
https://kobold.club/fight/#/encounter-builder
>>
>>54581189
Surely the ranch should go to the farmers mlnext of kin not a bunch of vagabonds
>>
>>54581540
We're on the frontier, boyo. You want something you take it. Plus news travels slow. Plus reasons.
>>
How do I engrave my holy symbol on a shield? As a cleric I can start with a holy symbol on my shield and use that as a focus, which is what I always do because I like it better overall for casting in combat. But when i find a +1 Shield or something, what do I do then? the PHB talks about how your holy symbol can be engraved on a shield but it really doesn't elaborate on how that happens. Is it as easy as something I can do for free on a short rest, or as hard as requiring specific components?
>>
>>54578994
Plan on keeping Shiny as Hefty for Guh?
>>
>>54581510
On the one hand, if you don't to metagame (and ideally you shouldn't), just investigate as normal. Your DM probably has plans for more events to happen that should give you extra clues. Is there anyone with a great Insight skill in your party? Definitely use that. It gets easier if you have a paladin with Divine Sense. It isn't a spell, after all.

On the other hand, you could just cast Hypnotic Pattern on a large group of people and see who's unaffected by it.
>>
>>54581629
Ask your DM. If it were me I'd say you could do it over a few hours if you had the proper materials. More likely you could have it engraved by going to a temple of your deity.
>>
Look me in the eye and tell me that Barbarian Rage isn't magic.
>>
>>54581691

it's not. you can't concentrate on spells while it's up, so if it was magic it would cancel itself out.
>>
File: goolock.png (467KB, 1275x279px) Image search: [Google]
goolock.png
467KB, 1275x279px
The GOO warlocks in volos guide have this "whispering aura"

What would a balanced PC GOO warlock version look like seeing as there is nothing similar in the PHB
>>
File: rob-roy.jpg (85KB, 340x452px) Image search: [Google]
rob-roy.jpg
85KB, 340x452px
Question:

Scottish highlander broadswordsman. Clan kilt and all.

Warrior or Barbarian class?
>>
>>54581728
Spells aren't the only kind of magic
>>
Once learnt, a Bard cannot change the spells they known, can they?
How about spells they learn via Magical Secrets?
>>
>>54581842
Yes you can, read the fucking book
>>
File: 1483277698145.png (354KB, 665x574px) Image search: [Google]
1483277698145.png
354KB, 665x574px
>>54581861
FORGIVE ME SENPAI, I LENT MY BOOK TO A FRIEND
>>
>>54581758
BM fighter with GWFS and a greatsword, or shield/longsword for targe/claymore. It lets you versatile grip for a little extra damage, but swinging a fuckhueg sword is done better with greatsword.
>>
File: Micolash host of the nightmare.jpg (801KB, 1280x1387px) Image search: [Google]
Micolash host of the nightmare.jpg
801KB, 1280x1387px
>>54581737
Invocation - Whispering Aura:
Prerequisite: Xth level
As a bonus action, you can start ia ia chant-u babble. At the end of each of your turns, each creature of your choice within 5 ft of you must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or take 3d6 psychic damage. Whispering Aura lasts until (insert timetable here), you are incapacitated (probably silenced too, who knows), or until you stop chanting as a bonus action. You can do this once per short or long rest.
>>
>>54581908

I'm a little new to the setting... didn't get the abbreviations I'm so sorry?
>>
>>54581691
Why does it even matter if it is? I'd still allow it to work in an anti-magic field if that's where this is going.
>>
>>54581898
>anime picture
>"SENPAI"
>>54578096
>>
File: 1498681018056.jpg (320KB, 500x572px) Image search: [Google]
1498681018056.jpg
320KB, 500x572px
>>54581948
My mistake.
Forgive me, fa/tg/uy , I lent my book to a friend.
>>
>>54581927
>BM
Battle Master; capable of using maneuvers for fancy tripping and the like.
>GWF
Great Weapon Fighting: a feat worth its weight in dead corpses.
>>
>>54581965

Thank you for the translation. I was expecting 'read the book' so it's really appreciated
>>
S'up guys I'm having the first session with some friends that wanted to play D&D out of the blue and wanted me to dm, i'm reading the PHB and came with the idea of session 0 being character creation and this kind of dungeon for them to learn the basics, i had this idea of having 3 devils (or any creature sugestions welcome) spawn them on this "educational dungeon" with each of the devils representing exploration, social interaction and combat putting them on test for probable things they will encounter on their adventure, but since i don't know well the system what could be some good test for them to learn basics?

Also I'm naming the 3 creatures Tooth, O'ry, Ael respectively.
>>
>>54581973
Do that too.
>>
>>54581965
>dead corpses
>>
File: 00004t7q.jpg (50KB, 400x520px) Image search: [Google]
00004t7q.jpg
50KB, 400x520px
>>54581984

In truth, the combat one is simple. The exploration can be a 'Go into the small labyrinth and find my Sword of Backbiting'.

The social interaction one is the interesting one. Perhaps a tavern where they need to learn three things? One can be a persuasion check, one an intimidate and one can be just to do with roleplaying and learning to break the ice and act in character instead of 'my character charms them'.
>>
>>54581965
How else would you prefer your corpses?
>>
>>54582005

I just discovered the trove, so while my friend has the book, now so do I. I want to know what I have to roll without having to ask.

Out of interest, how much Lore should I learn? Do I need to know the gods, for example? Or should I just concentrate on the mechanics first?
>>
>>54581984
unless you're going for some meta-fourthwall breaking tone with you game, something like this probably isn't a good idea. you can do that with just some basic quest. just brainstorming off the top of my head, here's a good idea for a quest
>someone is kidnapped by cultists. we'll say a blacksmith's daughter as an example
>social interaction: talking to the blacksmith. negotiating reward (intimidate or persuasion), asking if they can search his house for clues, etc. there's a lot the party can do here
>also subtly suggest they should stop by the store and stock up on items. more social interaction here
>in the process, party learns the cultists are likely hiding somewhere in the forest
>exploration: the party explores the forest, finding an ancient tomb guarded by cultists locked by a magical door. they must get two magical keys that are located elsewhere in the forest to unlock it, furthering the exploration
>throughout they learn about combat through combat encounters.

>>54582026
considering there's zombies, it's pretty important to distinguish between dead and undead corpses.
>>
>>54581927
>BM=Battlemaster Fighter, the archetype with the maneuvers
>GWFS=Great Weapon Fighting Style. Available to you at level 1 of Fighter, it lets you reroll 1s and 2s on your weapon damage, which is a nice little boost.
>>
File: DnD_SKT_HekatonPoster.jpg (396KB, 1294x2000px) Image search: [Google]
DnD_SKT_HekatonPoster.jpg
396KB, 1294x2000px
>>54581633
At the moment, yes. So far these are the places I know want songs, and the songs I have chosen:

01. The Drunk Duck Inn (Les Miserables - "Master of the House")
02. Once Upon a Time... (Queen - "Ogre Battle")
03. Giants Attack Triboar (Iron Maiden - "Run to the Hills")
04. The Savage Frontier
05. Harshnag's Friendship
06. The Eye of the All-Father
07. Mirran and Nym Plot
08. Guh's Song (Moana - "Shiny")
09. Kayalithica's Prophecies
10. Storvald's Sweep (Led Zeppelin - "The Ice Giants Attack")
11. Zalto is Done (Phantom of the Opera - "Why So Silent?")
12. Sansuri's Song (My Little Pony - "This Day Aria")
13. Serissa's Doubts Her Throne
14. Iymrith the Titan (Queen - "Seven Seas of Rhye")

BONUS TRACK - Hekaton Swears Revenge (obviously only needed if the players successfully rescue Hekaton)

BONUS TRACK - Blagothkus' Fury (He survived our run through Horde of the Dragon Queen, so I *have* to have him show up in this at some point)
>>
>>54581973
>>54581965
The feat wasn't part of my initial suggestion because they might not be included in the game depending on the DM. That said, I'd definitely get it if it's possible, even the bonus action attack is pretty dank when it comes up.
>>
>>54582122
>Led Zeppelin - "The Ice Giants Attack"

Whoops, that should have been "The Immigrant Song"
>>
>>54578365
I don't think horde breaker works with sun bolts, just so you know... Confirming... No, it doesn't work with sun bolts. Nor does Hunter's Mark.
>>
File: my cestus when.jpg (32KB, 500x457px) Image search: [Google]
my cestus when.jpg
32KB, 500x457px
Hey, are there any homebrewed weapon feats out there? The official stuff like Crossbow Expert and Polearm master are so transformative that it really disappoints me that there aren't equivalent feats for other weapon types.

I'm going to be DMing after the current campaign I'm in ends so I have a while to look stuff over, if I can't find any I'll probably take a crack at homebrewing them.
>>
>>54582326
The problem is you need to remove the feat tax.
Give everybody parts of weapon feats so the martials without feats are buffed and the martials who take all the strongest feats are nerfed and thus overall everything's golden.

Don't just saturate it with even more weapon feats.
>>
>>54581758

SHOULD they be a Warrior? I say there's more Barbarian about Scottish highland warrior clans than not.
>>
>>54582122
Can I play in your campaign?
>>
>>54582122

Can't say I agree. But I find that music with lyrics tends to distract. I don't want to have to talk over lyrics. But hey, if it works for you and yours, that's cool too.
>>
>>54582326
There's a UA with a few http://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/DND/UA-Feats-V1.pdf
>>
What to do about a DM that railroads?
He basically wants the story to unfold in a way he designed and usually gives you some 'choice' where you can only make a binary choice (I do thing, I don't do thing).

Did mention it to him before, but I don't think he understood what I meant exactly. He is new (and so am I, actually).
>>
>>54578932
I accidentally let my players think they obliterated the giants and now they don't even care about the SKT plotline, they just wanna fuck around in the north for 10 more levels
>>
>>54582544
Be more direct, give him some specific examples of what you want. Also, ask if the others are enjoying the game as is and if they say yes maybe the table is not for you.
>>
If i do research on gods on Forgotten Realms wiki, i often see the particular god is dead - while the SCAG don't seem to think s/he it alive and well. Can anyone explain this?
>>
>>54582605
>while the SCAG don't seem to think s/he it alive and well
Did you just have a stroke?
>>
>>54582580
>Also, ask if the others are enjoying the game as is and if they say yes maybe the table is not for you

I'm afraid it's the last part. We're a group of close friends and it was the DM and me who set it all up for them. Maybe if it reaches a point where I'm truly not enjoying myself I'll leave.
>>
>>54582605
When 4e Realms ended the setting basically undid almost literally everything that happened in 4e Realms and reset it to a kind of pre-2e/early 3e state where lots of gods dead since 2e are back.
There isn't even a real explanation for it beyond the obvious changing back something because the huge setting changes they made were wildly unpopular.

If you mean explain why the wiki isn't up to date, it's because like most wiki's it's pretty shit in general despite it's size and nobody's been working on it actively for a very long time.
>>
>>54582544

A tough one. See, anyone who's never done this before is used to videogames which railroad you. You can't blame something for not knowing better to begin with.

Use examples, just tell him that sometimes you guys may want to not choose something he's planned for. A lot of the time, railroading is a fear of improvising. That can be pretty daunting until you're good at it. But just tell him that you'd all like that kind of freedom, that he be reactionary to your decisions. If he needs to go in a direction he hadn't planned, tell him to just tell you guys so you're aware and can be a little forgiving of him thinking up stuff or taking a little time to find encounters.
>>
>>54582605
>>54582619
Meant: "While the SCAG seems to think s/he is alive and well."

Sorry, i just woke up.
>>
>>54582620

Well talk it all out first. But just make sure you have realistic expectations. If you would like to sometimes hunt because that's what your characters want? That's fine. But if you are wanting to pick up hookers and wave your cock around, maybe not?
>>
>>54582633

Great tips. Really appreciated. However, I fear In might be the only ons who feels that way at the table.
But thanks anyway!
>>
>>54582605
the wiki is out of date and a lot of stuff from 4e got retconned.
>>
File: mearls.png (35KB, 604x364px) Image search: [Google]
mearls.png
35KB, 604x364px
https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/891187792532783104
>>
>>54582709
as time goes on i see mike mearls more and more for the hack he is.
>>
>>54582709
I guess wot4e gets to stay king of shit-tier mountain forever.
>>
>>54581629
Since nobody got time for that its a holy ritual whereby divine power magically places the holy symbol on it when you attune to the item
>>
>>54582122
In my run through the players befriended and redeemed Blagothkus

He died when he rammed his flying castle into Tiamat, sharing a last kiss with the spirit of his wife

Hoping for some feels when the players meet the ghost of his son in SKT
>>
>>54582629
>>54582706
>>54582605

So, if i play 5e, lore is they died but got better? Or never did in the first place?
>>
Can I ask something of people who run pre-mades?

I am used to making my own sessions. Pre-mades end up clunky for me, and slow and... not as good.

How do you make a premade NOT suck?
>>
>>54582661

It's not that I want to do stuff completely unrelated to the campaign, but I want to have a meaningful impact on how the story unfolds. Usually it's a binary choice, either doing what the DM kinda told you to do, or refuse and face the consequences (usually bad). There's rarely reward for creative thought out plans for how to tackle certain issues that aren't choice A or B.

The party is usually OK with it though, and kinda have this 'the DM is a God, do not question or anger him' thought. It kinda bugs me.
>>
File: 1357718223555.png (103KB, 325x319px) Image search: [Google]
1357718223555.png
103KB, 325x319px
>>54582783

You could run your own session with those guys and the DM as party, show him that kind of style, teach him?
>>
>>54582782
Think of premades more as guidelines and a lot of premade content. Use it how you see fit
>>
File: wagon rides.jpg (142KB, 679x960px) Image search: [Google]
wagon rides.jpg
142KB, 679x960px
>>54580691
I did that once against my DM's 2 favorite iconic npc's

My level 8 warlock vs a level 14 sorceress and level 16 ranger/barbarian

Had an epic battle between the 3 made even better with crown of madness and dialogue that would make Darth Sithis proud

in the end, just before death, passed a strength test to crush a Stone of Transferrence and sent us all to the Shadows(the game's version of hell) cackling the whole time like a madman
>>
>>54582477
No, I think you misunderstand that I'm doing. I'm actually trying to turn Storm King's Thunder itself into a musical. I mean, not on stage or anything, I'm just trying to adapt songs to the game, re-writing lyrics as needed.

Like, the fight with Chief Guh is going to have Guh singing "Hefty" (her version of "Shiny") to the players.

I would write my own songs, but my personal musical talent is somewhat limited despite how much I love musicals. Which is a shame...the best musicals and soundtracks tend to have recurring motifs throughout them so that you'll hear bits and pieces of one song in another. I'd love to have that in a Storm King's Thunder musical, but I lack the talent, so I'm pretty much forced to just use a bunch of random songs.

I mean, either that, or I could find a musical no one remembers to and adapt every song from it...hmm...

Turn off the Dark, maybe? I actually unironically like "A Freak Like Me Needs Company"...
>>
>>54582709
Honestly, that's fair. If they keep buffing the worst options forever then there'll always be something getting a V.2 or V.3 every weak.

I have a feeling they may do more Elemental themed Monks however, just to make people happy. Considering we've already had a Radiant themed Monk, who's to say we won't get a Fire Monk or an Air Monk.

And it's not like Elemental is unplayable. It's pretty bad, but if your DM's good then he'll find encounters where your powers are useful.
>>
>>54582850
>but if your DM's good then he'll find encounters where your powers are useful.
He'd have to purposefully make it useful AND you'd have to not have a wizard or whoever the heck who can do the exact same thing already.

It's not unplayable because it's an archetype, but you might as well just not have an archetype at all.
>>
>>54582850
It really is a pile of hot garbage, you end up just using stunning fist every round anyway.
>>
File: 1500360165131.jpg (54KB, 550x512px) Image search: [Google]
1500360165131.jpg
54KB, 550x512px
God dammit. Every game I run, every plot I write, every system I try, every tone I work with, my party always acts like a combination of the gang from always sunny and the jackass guys.

>Our bard just wants to fuck people and always asks me to describe every female they run into in extreme detail
>Our warlock is constantly fucking with the party and saying shit like "no balls pussy" to push bad decisions
>Our barbarian has no idea how to speak common and only says basic four letter words, often times fighting people for no reason
>Our rogue steals from every NPC they meet into and gets them run out of every town they visit
>Our cleric is flamingly gay and uses his love for his god to hide it. He calls people heathens and refuses to fight because he's afraid

Can this be salvaged? I've been friends with these guys for years, should I just stop playing with them? Every game is just the perfect storm of autism.
>>
>>54583014
Sounds like bunch of new players. In such case, it is possible they will grow out of it, eventually. In time. Maybe
>>
>>54583014

Can you change? If they want nothing but hijinx, can you offer them a quest that requires said hijinx to solve?
>>
>>54582766
Our own run through had our interaction with Blagothkus being somewhat less than friendly...I doubt he'll have anything nice to say about small folk anymore, let's say.
>>
So Kenku, how annoying are they to play? We play text only so I figured I could do things like "Makes X sound to tell you Y is happening". Basically explain exactly what my sounds mean in 99% of situations.
>>
>>54583014
At least they all have personality.
One of my group is basically just along for the ride, doesn't do very much outside of combat. In combat basically just goes "yeah I attack"
>>
>>54583052

> Clan of half-orcs beseigeing a castle
> We only respect da MEANEST!
> Have to prove manliness to half-orcs

> One test is seducing a half-orc princess and stealing her from her father
> Another is jumping a canyon on a magicked barrel
> Another still is outdrinking their drunken host
>>
>>54579996
Can I shoot 5 feathers out, end the fight, grab the feathers by hand and leave them wherever I want, then recall them when I'm like, miles away?
>>
Hey, guys, could you help me out? I have been playing a Orc Frenzy Barbarian, and we recently went up to level 9. I am debating should I continue in this class or multiclass into paladin or warlock. The flavor is that he is a worshiper of Gruumush, and mostly goes around to kill giants. In game to retrieve his clans axe, he sacrificed his eye, like the old Eye of Gruumush class. So, any ideas?
>>
>>54583068
Kenku can talk you know, they can mimic words they have heard.
>>
>>54583123

So like Predator playing back words?
>>
File: Kenku by King-Twitchus.png (3MB, 3400x3600px) Image search: [Google]
Kenku by King-Twitchus.png
3MB, 3400x3600px
>>54583068
You play Kenku like the ultimate mix-board. Sample everything: that one dwarf slur swearing into his ale, the way the evil necromancer said "die", your best friends/compatriots saying their names, etc.
>>
>>54583103
>As a reaction, you can speak a keyword and magically call back the thrown daggers, assuming they are within 180 ft. of your current position.
>>
>>54583141
Pretty much yeah, their inflection and tone vary wildly because they generally only remember one particular instance of each word for general use. But they can also perfectly mimic someone's speech to pass for them vocally if they listen to them for long enough.

Kenku are just creepy because they might talk to you as the gruff Dwarven cleric one sentence, then sound like the starving orphan from the last town the next.
>>
>>54583169
Honestly it sounds like something I'd use more OUT of combat. Like, before I sleep just put some feathers out around on the ground, so if I'm ambushed I can recall the daggers and shred the fuckers. Does the recalling work around walls and shit? I don't know why I'm thinking so much about a cool item I'll never get to use as a PC.
>>
>>54582544
Speaking from experience, newbie GMs railroad because they're afraid of being at a loss for what to do. And that's fine. It's pretty scary, when you're new, having to make shit up and hope it doesn't break the adventure.

BUT. But. Your GM is new. If you're willing to be patient with him, tell him this: when something unexpected happens, he is allowed to pause the game for ten seconds to two minutes to scribble shit out and figure out what happens. It's alright, he's learning. As he gets more experienced and learns to improvise the time he needs will gradually get shorter and everything will work out.
>>
>>54583208
Generally magical recall effects tend to be more of the "disappears and reappears in your hand" variety than "cuts a straight line directly to you from wherever they are". There is no rule for returning daggers doing any damage, so likely it was intended as not being a possibility.
>>
>>54582544
You have to make them understand that a lot of DMing is actually about making shit up on the spot and making it look like you were prepared for it when actually you weren't.
>>
>>54583256
>As a reaction, you can speak a keyword and magically call back the thrown daggers, assuming they are within 180 ft. of your current position. They take the shortest possible path to you, and any creature in the way must make a DC 15 Dex save or take 1d6 slashing damage from the recalled feather, half damage on a success.

My turn to refer you
>>
File: 1371962501940.jpg (534KB, 666x826px) Image search: [Google]
1371962501940.jpg
534KB, 666x826px
>>54583248

A good plan. A sensible plan.
>>
>monsters almost always have good CON and STR saves, have decent DEX and WIS saves some of the time, and usually suck at CHA and INT saves
>spells with CHA and INT saves, rare as they are, end up being the most reliable, with WIS being 3rd place

>monsters are much more likely to force DEX saves than any other type, so low DEX characters get fucked over

Does this change at higher levels? Almost every time one of my characters died it was a low DEX character failing a DEX save.
>>
So my group and I have recently decided to start playing DnD again, and this is after a couple straight years of not playing it at all. I'm not really asking for specific build here, but how is the Rogue overall?

I've always been a fan of the stealth / assassin archetypes, but you had the chance to settle in to your character before you picked a path. Now you've got Thief, Assassin, and Arcane Trickster. Is any one of these glaringly terrible in comparison to their brethren? Are there specific feats / items to need to get one of these to work? We have a Fighter and a Cleric, and a couple more undecided.
>>
>>54583402
>Is any one of these glaringly terrible in comparison to their brethren?

Assassin is completely built around doing massive damage on the first turn of combat and then relying on generic rogue shit for the rest. Outside of turn 1, you might as well not have an archetype.
>>
>>54583411

So is perfect for the guy who wants to feel accomplished at the start of the fight, but then wants to get snacks for the rest and asks people to roll his subsequent rolls?
>>
>>54583420

It's worse than that. Read up on how "surprise" works in 5e. Assassin gets extra boosts if your enemies are surprised. But if you're perfectly hidden, and the enemies notice your paladin clanking around in his armor, they immediately become not surprised so you can't use half your shit on them. It's pure shit.
>>
>>54583411
Yeah, I was kinda noticing that. Outside of combat, they have some nice things though, so thought it was worth asking. Arcane Trickster looks really interesting; we can use some neat magic. Kinda debating between that and Thief, unless the Use an Object thing isn't nearly as busted as it was last edition with globes.

>>54583420
I fucking hate those people.
>>
>>54583363
Hope you learned your lesson to never dump Dex
>>
>>54583463

I just want to be a cleric in heavy armor anon...
>>
File: FourElements.pdf (4MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
FourElements.pdf
4MB, 1x1px
>>54582709
Guess I gotta stick with this.
>>
>>54580244
It is an isosceles triangle where the base is the same length as its height. It ends with a flat base, not a curved arc.
>>
>>54583363
>Dump dex
>Somehow surviving the best in the party, barely even going down while others die

Of course if the disintegrate came over here before I got counterspell I'd be screwed
>>
>>54582726
>>54582731

I think my biggest annoyance with the 4Elements monk is that it's this 'worst of both worlds' situation. If they just gave it a spell list and 'Can cast a spell on your list instead of flurry' or something it could be expanded with good spells. If they didn't make them spells at all they wouldn't be hampered by the 'Spells scale with spell slots...which the monk doesn't have' issues.
>>
>>54577836
fpbp
>>
So if Fighter is so good... why even bother with Barbarian?
>>
File: stone golem.jpg (156KB, 552x701px) Image search: [Google]
stone golem.jpg
156KB, 552x701px
Party has been nagging for a golem manual for a while. So they might find one soon but they might regret having nagged for one.

>To decipher and use the manual, you
must be a spellcaster with at least two
5th-level spell slots. A creature that can't
use a manual of golems and attempts to
read it takes 6d6 psychic damage.

None of them have the requirements. If they identify the manual (with identify or short rest) will they know about the damage from reading it? Or will they just know it's a manual but will have to read it to find out about the damage?
>>
>>54583906

If they pass/Nat20 an Arcana check, perhaps...
>>
>>54583919
>>
>>54583906
I'd personally fudge it. If your party is likely to die on the spot from reading it, probably reveal that. If not, let them find out the hard way
>>
Can anyone spot me a picture for an Elf Rogue? I'm going High Elf Arcane Trickster.
>>
>>54583986
>fudge it.
REEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>54583986

Agreed. You don't want to be THAT GUY.

> 'Now I know you didn't know that, and if you did you wouldn't have read it, but... guys... the rules state it very clearly... my hands are tied...'
>>
>>54583906
I don't really like the way that's done. It's kinda a 'This is too dark and mysterious and spooky for you and you get braindamage from reading i!'
It would be better to just describe how horrific it is if someone inappropriate reads it but without having to start assigning damage.

Or else they'll use it as a weapon to kill people.

Rather, you could hide glyphs of warding inside the book or something similar, various traps that activate from reading the book.

And instead I'd say you have to make a series of int saves over a couple of long rests to understand it without taking some sort of issue, but being able to read it isn't the same as being able to use it if you need high level spell slots to animate golems.
>>
File: tumblr_or5qumtuTZ1u1ouruo1_500.png (232KB, 500x543px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_or5qumtuTZ1u1ouruo1_500.png
232KB, 500x543px
>>54583994
>>
>>54584031
Great! Thank you. Do you happen to have a male one as well?
>>
>>54583906

Perhaps have it under care of a safekeeper who tells them it can destroy the mind of those who are too weak, and they would need to demonstrate they have that fortitude?

(Then if they start to arc up, explain why you are doing it)
>>
File: wnh20zV.jpg (491KB, 776x1024px) Image search: [Google]
wnh20zV.jpg
491KB, 776x1024px
>>54584039
>>
>>54584052
You're a god. Thanks again.
>>
File: 1305522468610.jpg (211KB, 600x833px) Image search: [Google]
1305522468610.jpg
211KB, 600x833px
>>54583994

Male or female?
>>
File: 1292416847335.jpg (204KB, 707x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1292416847335.jpg
204KB, 707x1000px
So when you visualise, are most characters beautiful unless stated otherwise? Like, does your mind make some ugly or plain, or just beautiful?
>>
>>54582782
Lots of preparation, I guess. Reading through it so many times that you can remember a lot of the stuff by heart, at least for the current chapter. But most importantly, not sticking to it 100%. I'm always changing stuff or adding new bits and have a lot of fun making up new encounters and magic items.

>>54583906
It's up to you. I'd say after they identified they make a DC 17 Arcana check (if they use the identify spell, DC 15 or 13 instead). On a success, they recall hearing about how it's impossible to read a golem manual unless you're a powerful spellcaster.
>>
>>54584105
Depends on the CHA score or hotness roll
>>
>>54584105
Plain until either it shows up in a NPC interaction, or strong IC interactions occur to colour how my character sees them.
>>
>>54581306
Make a flowchart for possibilities. First off, the encounter starts with Face coming out to say everything is ok. Why?
Because things don't look ok. He wants the PCs to leave. If they pry, maybe they spend the night, maybe he concocts the bandit raid story to send them on a mission. Just go away.

Either way, Scout checks in with Face that night. If PCs are there, find an excuse to not spring a huge ambush on them. They look tough, gullible, friendly, whatever. I just don't think they'd like this. Maybe they spy on the meeting though.

If PCs off on a quest, send Scout to watch them, with bandit force behind to clean up bandits B after the PCs are through.

If PCs go to town, chatter with townfolk makes it clear that the folks they met/stayed with are not farmers. Maybe they bring goods to town this day, or were supposed to pick up an order of some horseshoes, whatever.

So there's multiple opportunities for the party to clue in on the bandits, (meeting Face, Face meeting Scout, Scout trailing party, party socializing in town, bandits A raiding bandits B) and at least two different places for a major conflict, with the possibility of the PCs laying siege or under siege at the farm depending on how quick they catch on.
>>
>>54583906
Personally I would rule that identify does, in fact, reveal the damage and requirement.

I would assume that few books have this kind of security system in place, therefore it should be relatively easy to detect if you spend an hour checking the book.
After all, there is SOMETHING in the book checking for the user's qualities, and causing the psychic damage, so there could be a small detail giving it away.
Maybe it's the barely visible, faded runes on the back. Maybe it's the very faint hum of energy when the books looking through the reader's soul for magic.
Something like that..

But honestly I hate the idea of pass-a-check-or-suck-it screwjobs you either passively detect or never see coming. They suck. If I were you I'd treat this like a dungeon trap: let the players know something's wrong, let them make checks to see the danger (magic runes, humming sound) and understand what's going on.
Then again "the wizard should handle it" isn't a very fun way to solve a trap, so whatever.
>>
>>54578060
Orcus invites them to a nice dinner. Several high ranking pit fiends and other demons are attending. Awkwardness ensues.
>>
What happens if you cast Barkskin and then proceed to wild shape into an air, fire or water elemental?
>>
if I cast stone to flesh on someone, then use stoneshape to turn them into some eldritch abomination, then end stone to flesh before the concentration ends so it isn't permanent, what happens to the target?
>>
>>54583919
>>54583986
>>54584029
>>54584030
>>54584042
>>54584111
>>54584235

Thanks for the input guys.

Here's what I might do upon identification.
I'll say they feel there is powerful, very dangerous magic inside that they cant *yet* hope to tame.

I'll then give them a folded piece of paper with "Manual of Golems - Danger! High Magic Within" written on the front but sealed with a piece of tape. If they open while under requirements, inside will be the damage text.

If they want to Arcana check it, they can. If they succeed they'll learn it that it'll damage them but not how much.

Reasonable?
>>
File: 1448699721263.jpg (28KB, 307x462px) Image search: [Google]
1448699721263.jpg
28KB, 307x462px
I polymorph a friend into T-Rex
The T-Rex eats a sheep
I end the polymorph

What happened
>>
>>54577795
monologue

the best dragons monologue about their supremacy over all other creatures and the futility of the PCs actions
>>
>>54584105
"Hollywood ulgy". You know, people in Hollywood movies that play 'ugly' or 'plain' character, that are still more hot than everyone you meet in your daily life? I usually go with that.
>>
File: 1477866302092.jpg (298KB, 719x1111px) Image search: [Google]
1477866302092.jpg
298KB, 719x1111px
>>54577795
what do people like more? lore bard or valor bard?

also, what class in 5e would be most similar to the pathfinder oracle? in theme
>>
>>54584299
Sweet, sweet Magic, baby.
>>
>>54584363

Valor. Valor all the way. Lore sing about feelings and emotions and shit. Valor sing about MANLY TALES OF BRAVERY, DARING AND HEROISM.
>>
File: tumblr_opah4ep5v11qiumqlo1_1280.png (1MB, 1280x1894px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_opah4ep5v11qiumqlo1_1280.png
1MB, 1280x1894px
I'm a bard with a Ring of Spell Storing, Staff of Healing, and a Baton of Fireballs.

Can I put a Mass Cure Wounds from my staff into my Ring?
>>
File: Hag.jpg (32KB, 300x360px) Image search: [Google]
Hag.jpg
32KB, 300x360px
/5eg/, I need some ideas. My party will be making a deal with a hag coven (I asked about this some threads ago) for some very important stuff. The hags will request something from each of the 5 PCs, but they're allowed to choose to fulfill only 3 requests. They are as follow, and obviously all have terrible consequences if the party decides to cross the coven afterwards:

From the fighter, a piece of his power. One of his two most powerful magic items.
From the aasimar, a piece of her heritage. 3/4 gallon of her blood.
From the young elf, a piece of his innocence. A night and his virginity.
From the diviner, a piece of her knowledge. Bound her mind in such a way that whenever she casts a divination spell, the hags can see and hear what is shown.

I lack something for the last PC. He's a sharpshooter deep stalker ranger and wants to become a legend, the best archer in the world.
>>
>>54584672
a curse that spoils the joy of shooting
>>
>>54584672
A piece of his future. The witches draw a line across his main hand, using some strange mixture. If the ranger ever crosses them, a painful scar or missing finger will ruin his dreams.
>>
>>54584672
>From the young elf, a piece of his innocence. A night and his virginity.
Oh come the fuck on, anon.
>>
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/user/kittenhugs

Like, comment, and subscriiiiiibe~
>>
>>54584672
>fighter only has to give one item while aasimar has to give shitload of blood and elf has to bang one of the most repulsive things in existence
Really?
>>
>>54584662
Yes
>>
>>54584769
I'd give up some blood or bang an ugly chick for some powerful magic. Depends on the item. If it's Joe's standard +2 sword then no, if it's Heaven's Razor the sword of fate then it'd be a hell of a lose.
>>
>>54584725
This is interesting. I'd rather it have some immediate effect, but this might work.

>>54584732
>>54584769
The hags will have the elf carry it out with one of their fey servants. All they want is to create some monstrous progeny. I was uncomfortable with the idea until a anon here made me see the potential, like a homunculus or an evil clone.
>fighter only has to give one item
Yeah I did feel I went too easy there but they are really powerful. It's either Hazirawn or the Black Dragon Mask, two legendary items from Tyranny of Dragons.
>>
How exactly do I use the charlatan background's false identity feature? Should I only assume the false identity after I put on a costume tailor made for it? What would be a good false identity?
>>
File: Night_Hag_(Dungeons_&_Dragons).png (29KB, 281x355px) Image search: [Google]
Night_Hag_(Dungeons_&_Dragons).png
29KB, 281x355px
I can't get enough of hags

they make great villains and I find the concept of "weird magic" extremely interesting

is there a player class that is even remotely similar to a hag?
>>
>>54584817
>Yeah I did feel I went too easy there but they are really powerful
Notice how the rest of the characters don't have to sacrifice their powers or items, but fighter has. Is he really that bland and OP that you have to resort to this?
>>
So my players just unknowingly brought back their old nemesis from Shadowfell.
He was a ruthless pirate captain that had hired them previously to capture an old castle but they decided to betray him and kill him along with his crew.
Much later they performed a dark ritual to remove a shadow themed curse from their monk friend right on the spot where they had previously killed the pirates near the castle.
This desecration of their graves and the influence of the curse tainted their spirits, and they were banished to Shadowfell after the ritual was done.
Even later they were rescuing this same monk from being kidnapped by shadowy creatures. They located him in Shadowfell a few days later and went in to fetch him.
There they found the monk in a magical coma and shadows watching over him. One larger shadow spoke to the party and told them the monk had made a deal with them for protection. In exchange the party would bring the shadows back to the material plane with them.
They had stolen the monk's memories as collateral so they decided that the best option was just to accept the deal. They plane shifted back and the shadow said farewells to "his old friends" and promised they would meet again, staring at the paladin that had been behind the idea of killing the pirates.
The party was left there wondering who the shadow was as they only now noticed that it had said things that implied he knew them.
And they thought there would never be any consequences for their betrayal and mass murder. A large shadow leading a band of ~40 regular shadows is dangerous. They need only to go to a small village, murder everyone there to make more shadows and keep the train rolling from there.
Should have killed them again. Or the cleric should have at least tried to properly bury them and bless the mass grave.
>>
>>54584862
He is a bit OP, but it's manageable, and... he's not really 100% comfortable with roleplaying, but honestly I think they will simply choose to not do this one. They can choose only 3, after all.

Do you have a better idea for the fighter? He's a great weapon master champion 8 / barb 2 who used to be a gladiator, loves to fight but truly cares about his friends and family. Oh and he has tavern brawler too and recently acquired resilient:wisdom.
>>
>>54584672
Finger from the ranger, -1 permanent to attack rolls, he can no longer be the best.
>>
>>54584839

Someone with clout or position. 'Baron von Brauhaus'.
>>
>>54584672

How about they take the two finger-nails from his archery hand? That way, he will grow back and be fine but it does mean a sacrifice for a while in that he is a little worse off and will be in pan whenever he draws?
>>
File: image.jpg (39KB, 600x308px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39KB, 600x308px
Stupid NPC idea
>Mafia boss
>always wearing a suit and fancy hat
>often speaks in thinly veiled threats.
>if you obey him, you'll quickly become rich and powerful
>cross him and you will regret it.
>has a trio of ninja bodyguards.

Even more stupidly. The origin for this idea is from an old IOS game called tiny tower Vegas.
>>
File: 1275837208100.jpg (119KB, 411x745px) Image search: [Google]
1275837208100.jpg
119KB, 411x745px
>>54584976

Nothing wrong with a stereotype.
>>
(Total) newbie here.

If the assumption is that the world is full of monsters, how do you build kingdoms and empires? Would this be at all possible?
>>
File: 1357207350582.jpg (915KB, 970x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1357207350582.jpg
915KB, 970x1500px
>>54585044

Incredibly naturally.

> Men don't want to die from monsters
> Men band together to form clans
> Stronger men unite clans, claim land, kill monsters
> Becomes a lord, unites other lords under his banner
> Becomes a king

What's not to get?
>>
>>54584817
Other possibilities for your ranger:
-He must sacrifice some of his skill at the bow (lose proficiency for a level or two?) (skill loss also works for your fighter)
-He must give up his memories (interesting if the player is a good RPer)
-He must complete some Sisyphean task, fit for his ambition, that will leave him tired and half-broken (permanent stat/max HP loss?)
>>
>>54584911
>Do you have a better idea for the fighter? He's a great weapon master champion 8 / barb 2 who used to be a gladiator, loves to fight but truly cares about his friends and family
If he cares about his family and friends then he must have some kind of moral code. Make him do something nasty, something that will make him feel like he is being used as dumb muscle. Not neccecarily kill someone - maybe beat up the guy in front of his fiancee because poor sod's father was an adventurer and wounded one of the hags or something. Intimidate honest and nice merchant into giving up trinket that is needed for one of the hag's rituals. Point is not to go all-out 'lul evul!!111' - this will make player even more uncomfortable, but to make honorable fighter look and feel like remorseless thug.
After all, what is a fighter without honor?
>>
For my fighter I was considering this: For some period of time, the first time he rolls initiative each day he must make a Con save. On a failure he loses 1 point of Str. The point is restored at the end of the next short rest. How's this?

>>54584956
This would be too harsh. None of the others has a such a mechanical drawback. That's what I'm struggling with, coming up with stuff that is nasty and obviously a bad idea without being a permanent nerf to the character.
>>54584973
Hm I was thinking of asking for a piece of his vision but I might go for this one, removing all of his right hand fingernails instead. Painful, nasty, with a temporary drawback, and if he crosses them they use magic with the nails to break his fingers or something.
>>
So I was wondering if it's possible to do a DnD campaign with a single player (plus the DM of course). Obviously a single character is not going to be able to be as versatile as a party of 3-5 adventurers, but it'd be much easier to arrange meetups.

Has anyone ever done this before, or is DnD simply not at all the game for this?
>>
>>54585167
I don't see why not

with that few people it would be way easier to add companions too
>>
A question to fellow fa/tg/uys. I wanna throw some flying creatures at my players, but i don't know if they can attack from the air. For example i want to use some cockatrices, but they have no projectile attacks, only melee. In 3.5 we had flyby attack feat. Is there something like this in 5e, that would let my flying monsters to attack from the air?
>>
if I teleport/fly/jump above an enemy and declare that I point my weapon downwards as I fall to skewer them, how does that work out mechanically?
>>
>>54577795
Generally speaking, how useful is the feat that gives you superiority dice and a couple of maneuvers? And how many dice was it?

>read the book, anon
I'm working in a big rig and didn't bring it with me.
>>
>>54585202
Move, Attack, Move
That is usually how you preform a fly by this time around, so for instance if the thing has lets say 30 feet of flight
Round starts its 20 feet into the air away from the players
Drop 20 feet attack after that swoop back up 10 feet
i dont know what 5e's rules are on opportunity attacks for flying creatures but if you let them get opportunity attacks its gonna kill the thing fast as fuck
>>
>>54584672
How about a piece of his legend for the ranger. He gets a guarantee that he will become a legend like he wants but for all the wrong reasons. Nobody will ever remember him for an impressive headshot at huge ranges on a dragon or anything, they'll remember he promised to protect a village once and arrived a day too late to save it from orc hordes, they'll remember that time his missed shot ricocheted and hit an innocent bystander, they'll never remember him as the hero he was, but the one in a million fuckups that happened around him.
>>
>>54585167
of course its possible, Just make sure they play at least a full or half caster though
if you are the one person moving the plot along (other then npcs) and the only thing you can do is hit people really hard
You are gonna not want to play
This isint like 1-2e either where a wizard is gonna die to any goblin in existence cause hes a wizard
Most wizards are gonna kill 3-5 goblins before going down
The real mastery in 1-1 sessions are balancing the encounters but if you are playing 1 person games you are not going to be doing the D&D average encounter thing
Which i dont think anybody actually does 3-8 encounters in a session except for dungeoneers

It also depends on what your player likes partaking in
the one i dm for enjoys a nice mix so i balance out encounters and social stuff
>>
How is the oath of ancients Pally? I used to play awarden back in 4th ed.
>>
>>54585233
It's a single d6. I'm a new player so take what I say with a grain of salt, but my initial impression after reading it was that it's good as a supplement if you're already taking Battlemaster levels since it gives you more maneuvers to choose from and the dice gets upgraded along with your other ones, but otherwise maybe not that great.

The monk in my party took it as his Variant feat though so i'm interested to see what kinds of cool things he can do with it.
>>
>>54585202
Unless you give those flying creatures Mobile (A feat that makes it so when they make a melee attack against a target they don't provoke attack of opportunity from them) or Flyby (See the 5e Owl) you will have to suffer the AOO from flying out of melee.
>>
>>54585242
That'll net you an AoU, yeah. The attack is made while the monster is still in the player's threat range after all, whether it's in front of him or above him makes no difference.

You can give them a Rogue level or two so they can disengage as a bonus action or something.

>>54585229
I'd assume you'd have to make an attack roll, maybe with disadvantage, as aiming while you're falling is very difficult. On a hit you'd deal the weapon's damage, plus the falling damage would get dealt to both of you, I suppose?

>>54585233
I doubt it's very useful. Battlemaster itself is great because it gets 4d8 per short rest of extra damage, plus secondary effects.

The feat gives you only 1d6 extra damage per short rest. Might as well go for Polearm Master or Crossbow Expert insteead to get similar damage every turn as a bonus action. Or just dual wield.
>>
>>54585242
Ok i've got it figured out I think. Creatures like Peryton have flyby feat, which gives them an ability to do as you said without provoking opportunity attacks. But not all flying creatures have that, so i guess they can be killed quite easilly if they try to do that.
>>
>>54585333
See
>>54585303
>>
>>54584363
Favored soul sorcerer.
>>
>>54584854
Archfey Warlock Yuan ti
>>
Playing as a Cleric of Light. Really tempted to take a dip into Barbarian/Monk for Unarmored Defense. Should I do it?
>>
Are there any real good sources of lightning or thunder damage as a wizard? What are some ways I can best funnel people to maximise lightning bolt?

Going Tempest Theurge
>>
>>54585167
I've done LMoP for two players (Fighter and a Bard), aside from removing like 1 enemy from each encounter they handled it fine.

If you do 1v1 then obviously scale it down to the PC's level, but tell them it's gonna be deadly anyway and they should be cautious.

Another thing, adding the occasional friend or whatever who helps them solve issues can be a way to add more exciting and strong encounters.
>>
>>54585475
Dont Light Clerics get plate?
>>
>>54585475
I wouldn't do it, since it slows down your access to spells, your most important ability. What are your stats, anyway? If you have decent strength, you can don heavy armor and shield, that should take care of your AC.
>>
>>54585475
>Barbarian
>For your medíocre Constitution
>Throwing away your medium Armor proficiency
>And ability to concentrate on spells
>And Caster progression

This is bait right?
>>
>>54585123
How about they ask for a place in his legend: give him a permanent mark that identifies the deal he made.
>>
Are the Plane Shift articles in the trove? Am I a fucking retard?
>>
There is no Fire Domain for clerics in any of the official books or UA, is there?
Are there any good homebrews, or, alternatively, what domain is the closest to fire and easiest to rework\reflavor?
>>
>>54584247
You'll have at least 16 AC
>>
>>54586040
Light, maybe. The domain spells already have a strong Fire flavor
>>
>>54584817
No PC on earth would ever give up even a common magic item let alone legendary ones

They'll just fucking kill the hags
>>
>Strategic Mind (5 psi; conc., 1 min.). As an
action, you exert an aura of trust and command
that unites your allies into a cohesive unit. Until
your concentration ends, any ally within 60 feet
of you on their turn can, as a bonus action, take
the Dash or Disengage action or roll a d4 and add
the number rolled to each attack roll they make
that turn.

Does this mean that they can either take dash or disengage as a bonus action, or add a 1d4 to all attack rolls
Or that they can use a bonus action to dash, disengage, or add a 1d4 to each of their attack rolls that turn?
>>
Brace yourselves for the psionics and their overcomplex features with retarded wording are coming
>>
>>54586040
One of the Amonkhet domains uses fire too, I think.
>>
>>54586221
RAW looks to me like the second one. RAI that's also the likely choice, at least imo.
>>
File: aboleth_by_nanya.jpg (333KB, 744x850px) Image search: [Google]
aboleth_by_nanya.jpg
333KB, 744x850px
>>54577795
Today will be the day when in which an Aboleth may take control of a Knight (PAM +GWM) with a +2 Javelin of Lightning and a +1 Glaive. Today a party may cry.

What's a cool/exciting thing that may be happening in your sessions DMs?
>>
Player is having to make a new character and is requesting the dual wield feat for his fighter. They are level 5. My gut says no right? No one else has feats.
>>
>>54586608
what do you mean your guts say no
>>
>>54586611
I don't want him imbalanced compared to everyone else. Wouldn't giving him the feat make him OP compared to other players?
>>
>>54586637
dual wielder isn't the craziest. is there a specific reason the others don't have feats? if you outlawed them for the others, you outlaw them for this guy.

If your other players just didn't pick any feat (or didn't ask), let him have it instead of the ASI. It's no big deal and he'll feel speciuhl.
>>
>>54586637
If everyone is level 5 that means they could have gotten feats if they wanted to at level 4. Also >>54586682.
>>
>>54586637
Dual Wielding isn't really all that good, that being said you shouldn't grant him something other players don't have.

You could always give everyone a free feat.
>>
>>54586637
The big ones you should say no to is Crossbow Expert, Sharpshooter, Great Weapon Master and Polearm Master.

While not particularly "unbalancing" in a complete minmaxed environment, they will make everyone who doesn't have them deal barely 20% of their damage. Making the game far less fun for everyone else at the table.

As long as he gives up his level 4 ASI then it's fine, another option would be like >>54586695 said and give everyone a free feat to help fill out their character.
>>
>>54586501
>What's a cool/exciting thing that may be happening in your sessions DMs?
There's a possibility we'll get to play.

:(
>>
>>54586716
Those feats are generally fine to give players, the only ridiculous combo there is the polearm master paladin.

Otherwise they just buff martials who mostly can't compete with Wizards and Bards.
>>
>>54586721
I know that feel. We miss like 80% of weeks, every time someone can't make it I offer to run a one shot for the remaining players and all but one refuse.

I have never met a DnD group that seems to hate DnD so much.
>>
The only feat I ban is Lucky because it's not fun.

You guys need to relax.
>>
>>54586733
They don't buff them when compared to those classes though, they already deal way more consistent average damage then them.

Feats like Shield Master have a good design, adding something new for them. All the PAM, GWM, SS and CE bullshit just makes their damage completely fucking bonkers. 2 level 5 Fighters build with those have a very good chance of killing a young dragon in 2 rounds.

The only thing it does is make all other martials feel much worse, and make it so the DM will have to inflate monster HP considerably to make a challenge for the PC's.

The feats do literally nothing good for balance.
>>
>>54586608
I'm a little lost on this statement, did you ban feats? Or are you giving this player a free feat just because they asked?

If you banned feats then under no circumstances should this player be given any feat, as you banned them for everyone.

If you did not ban feats then everyone could have gotten a feat at level 4 instead of an Ability Score increase, that's the trade off when you get an ability score increase you don't get a feat. Also, I personally disagree with this >>54586716 anon, there is no reason to ban any of those feats as they are balanced enough to make the Melee focused classes on par with spell casters.

-5 to hit is a hard hit to martial classes early in the game it does scale well towards the end though.
>>
>>54586721
Anon one day you will have a more well-organized game and you will love it, you just have to make it through this hurdle!
>>
>>54586778
But Lucky is fun.
>>
When my shadow monk hit level 6 I made a coldsteel reference, no one got it, should i feel bad and are my memes shit?
>>
>DM says we will start with less than normal equipment
>First task is getting away from ogre (well he says so)
>Everyone's chill about possibly losing a char soon.
Shit, I'm not ready to lose a character when I just made my first one (forest gnome druid).
Also, are UA subs good? I really like them as concepts (Fighter Arcane Archer, possibly Archer 3/Assassin 3; Paladin with Oath of Conquest and Barb with Ancestral Guardian)
>>
>>54586929
I killed an ogre at level 1, step up your game
>>
>>54586946
I killed a level 1 with an ogre.
>>
>>54587023
You sound like a fun dm
>>
>>54587095
You sound like a nice person in general and I hope you have a nice day.
>>
>>54587110
IS it just me or is the thread slow today
>>
My PC just died and I need a new character. I was a tempest cleric

Party has a grapple rogue, oath of the crown paladin and a revised ranger
>>
File: qqbtDiN.jpg (431KB, 1132x917px) Image search: [Google]
qqbtDiN.jpg
431KB, 1132x917px
Golden wings once stretched out from my back. I would soar through clouds and feel the mist of grand waterfalls as I swooped down. The wind is what I miss the most, though. The rushing gales against my head and over my scales. My glorious tale swaying as I traveled everywhere I wanted.

I was young. I was free.

I would occasionally mingle with the small folk. My true form would make them run in fear due to some of the other races of dragons being twisted and knotted up with evil intent. I, however, was only ever curious about the small folk. My mother would talk about how short their lives were and how some of them would be the most remarkable souls she had ever met. Even though a group of them had killed my father, she still had love in her for the small folk.

"They are worthy of our friendship, love and protection," she would say
"but be weary of which ones you trust."

Once, when I was young, I had chased a mountain goat through a thicket and it jumped into the lake near our home. No one knew we lived there, as it was underground, but it was beautifully built. As the goat jumped in the lake I readied myself to leap in after it, but was surprised to find another creature there. They were only a little taller than the goat and had been fishing before the beast startled them.

The books mother made me read had helped a lot in my romps through the forest at the bottom of the great mountain, but this was the first time I had seen a small folk that was just a drawing. A gnome I gathered by his big round nose and short legs.

I stopped before I had left the cover of the bushes. Crouched down, I watched as the tiny thing yelled at the goat for chasing his fish away. He looked back up at the trees where the goat had escaped my chase. He didn't see me, or if he did he didn't care enough to react at all. Mother said small folk were quick to run away at the sight of us.
>>
I watched as he picked up rocks and threw them at the goat as it swam to safety and eventually ran away from the lake. The gome sat on a log with his fishing rod began to make noises. They were very familiar to me. It was singing. Mother would sing to me, I would hear birds sing, but this was the first time I had heard someone else singing words. Mother would often make me speak in different types of tongue. Languages of the world were very important to learn if I was to be traveling.

The gnome was singing and I realized I understood his language.

"Never have I seen, a more beautiful sight,
Than the way she looked, that stormy night,
A lightning flash, a thunder boomed,
Just like that, I was her groom,
A year together, filled with laughs,
Until the air, for which she gasped,
Now she's gone, just like that,
My flesh and soul, to get her back,
All alone, now I wait,
for the gods to pick my fate"

The song was sad and I had never heard one like that before. His voice was rough and his head would move with the rhythm of the words.

Before I realized it had already been done.

"That song is very sad." escaped my mouth

The little gnome jump higher than I imagined he would be able to. When he landed he grabbed a tiny thing from the ground next to him. A crossbow. I recognized it from my books. He looked around the tree line quickly, but I was laying down low and not moving.

"Who...who's there?! Don't be a coward! Come face me! I won't be robbed today!"

I had no intention of robbing the small thing, nor did I want to scare him as I did. Mother said that small folk were nice but some were just as crooked as the bad dragons.

"I mean you no harm, Sir Gnome, and I apologize for frightening you." I said as I raised my head from around the tree I was hiding.
>>
What kind of extraplanar groups, that aren't demons or celestials, would be willing to invade the material plane? I was thinking of Githyanki or Elementals. Are there any other choices?
>>
File: 0139 - zmHeQWs.jpg (91KB, 804x1000px) Image search: [Google]
0139 - zmHeQWs.jpg
91KB, 804x1000px
He looked more scared than he did before. I felt even worse.

"I..I'm not frightened! Who..who are you? Aren't you a bit young to be out here alone...that would mean that...oh gods!" he started looking around the tops of the trees and then to sky.
He was worried mother would swoop down and kill him.
"My mother isn't here. I was chasing the goat through the woods and it escaped. I'm sorry about your fish."
I walked out from behind the tree and stood on my four feet, trying to make myself seem taller than I actually was. Mother had always said to only use your wings to show your majesty, which I had no idea what she meant, so I kept them tuck to my body.
"Y...you're a golden dragon, aren't ya?" he said as he lowered his crossbow.
I nodded.
"I...uh...I ain't ever met a gold dragon." he said
"And I have never met a Gnome. My name is Alabaster and it is a pleasure to meet you, sir." I bowed before him like mother had taught me.
"Hahah, ain't everyday someone calls me sir. Pleasure to meet ya, Alabaster, name is Simon Cogglefiz." He bowed a bit, but his technique needed work.
>>
>>54587320
Far realm aberrations?
>>
How do you go about building a world, and afterwards, how do you go about communicating the basic info about that world to the players?
>>
>>54578167
How do you import the spells
>>
anyone have the stats for the skeleton player race?
>>
New thread

>>54587838
>>54587838
>>54587838
>>54587838
>>54587838
Thread posts: 361
Thread images: 52

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.