[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MTG Standard General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 337
Thread images: 48

File: 1501169118049.png (635KB, 850x500px) Image search: [Google]
1501169118049.png
635KB, 850x500px
Standard General: Best boy edition

>RESOURCES:
>Current Standard Metagame
>http://mtgtop8.com/format?f=ST
>https://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/standard
>Due to the nature of standard, meta vary wildly depending on environment

>Playing?
>Hating?
>Want to build?
>Personal spice?
>Best sideboard tech?

What's everyone bringing to game day and what are expectations of which deck will be dominant at the Pro Tour and in the meta in general?
>>
>almost the entire pro tour is RDW versus something else or another RDW
>>
Since I suspect a ton of people will bring RDW to both the tour and Game Day, as it's cheap and easy, I've tried adjusting my New Perspectives deck a bit.// 60 Maindeck
// 8
5 Forest
1 Island
1 Plains
1 Swamp

// 9 Creature
4 Shefet Monitor
4 Vizier of Tumbling Sands
1 Sphinx of the Final Word

// 9 Enchantment
3 Cast Out
3 New Perspectives
3 Gift of Paradise

// 12 Instant
4 Haze of Pollen
4 Renewed Faith
4 Shadow of the Grave

// 15 Land
3 Sheltered Thicket
2 Fetid Pools
4 Irrigated Farmland
4 Scattered Groves
2 Fortified Village

// 7 Sorcery
2 Razaketh's Rite
4 Traverse the Ulvenwald
1 Approach of the Second Sun

// 15 Sideboard
// 1
SB: 1 Mountain

// 4 Creature
SB: 1 Nimble Obstructionist
SB: 2 Kefnet the Mindful
SB: 1 Angel of Sanctions

// 3 Enchantment
SB: 3 Drake Haven

// 5 Instant
SB: 2 Dispel
SB: 2 Chandra's Defeat
SB: 1 Negate

// 2 Sorcery
SB: 2 Radiant Flames

Opinions on this build?
The Rites help a lot with finding Perspectives when hitting 5 mana to make sure it lands the turn after and the side board is obviously primarily built against RDW with all that removal. Not sure if I'm keeping the angel and the second Kefnet in or to replace them with another Negate and an Essence Scatter.
>>
Most likely some kind of temur emerge or UR control deck. I really liked the deck played by Josh Utter Leyton that was shown on camera for a bit. He played temur emerge with hour of promise. Deep fiend into hour of promise seems pretty sick since it let's you eternalize champion of wits next turn
>>
File: en_WE4IFzFyw5.png (150KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
en_WE4IFzFyw5.png
150KB, 265x370px
When do Kaladesh and Aether Revolt rotate out? Looking to build RG Pummeler and I don't want to get fucked in the ass in 6 months
>>
>>54572690
September 2018
>>
>>54572690
Next fall
>>
>>54572690

4th quarter of 2018.
>>
File: 1500445955686.jpg (35KB, 375x589px) Image search: [Google]
1500445955686.jpg
35KB, 375x589px
>>54572710
>>54572716
>>54572724

Thanks senpaitachi
>>
Redpill me on RDW, it's cheap, seems to be very competitive and I like to burn things.

Should I go for it to get into MTGO?
>>
>>54573551
Why not, you don't need our approval and like 50% of the pros are playing it
>>
>>54573712
I want to know if there are chances of banning since wizards just bans whatever is the most played every couple of months now.

Also how would it hold up in the next expansions given what has been released so far.
>>
>>54573874
No fucking way it will get something banned, there is not a key card that makes RDW good. Furthermore it's almost completely rotation-proof.
It's impossible to calculate how Ixalan will impact the metagame and it won't hit for a couple of months.
>>
>>54572176
Healthy diversity, I wonder what they will ban next. :^)
>>
>>54573551

>First tournaments
>Surprised when the aggro/burn color gets to aggro unrefined decks to death
>>
>>54572240
I don't know enough about the deck to comment on it, I know turbofog is also a good option vs aggro.
Thinking about building mono-U reservoir myself because it's cheap but I think aggro just steam rolls it.
>>
File: cute snek.jpg (43KB, 217x162px) Image search: [Google]
cute snek.jpg
43KB, 217x162px
About to head to FNM in a couple hours. Was wondering if I could get some help/tips with my deck.
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/15-07-17-bg-snek/
I played pretty much this list except -1 Rishkar +1 Tracker last week and won the whole thing despite a fuckton of misplays and forgetting triggers. I asked for advice here as I was building it and someone suggested the 3rd Rishkar and possibly adding a Rhonas.

My store's meta is pretty exclusively U/X control and various weenie decks (humans and cats being the biggest threats) going off my experience the past few weeks, so I was wondering what changes I could make considering that. Should I cut my boy Gonti to make room for the 4th tracker and the Rhonas?
>>
>>54572118
>Someone saved my picture
I am moved.
Anyway, anyone experimenting with Imminent Doom? Not sure how to feel about it.
>>
>>54572240
Having played the old NP deck, going down to 3 copies of your central combo piece is suicidal.

Tapping out T5 to tutor for it also seems quite awful because you can't fog and you can't censor or negate on the turn that many game-ending spells resolve.

Imo the deck loses so hard to control decks, of which there are plenty. RDW can be beaten by other strats without sacrificing your winrate to control. Zombies seems like a much better option.
>>
File: 1492091165838.jpg (62KB, 500x522px) Image search: [Google]
1492091165838.jpg
62KB, 500x522px
quick someone convince me to go to draft tonight
>>
>>54576523
Don't, HOU has pitiful EV and it doesn't look like it's gonna improve with the PT.
>>
>>54576523
>>54576701
HOU is fun to draft.
Do you want to have fun?
>>
>>54576926
I'll admit it's the most fun draft environment since SOI but it's hard not to get salty when you're staring at <$1.00 in rares and the guy next to you casually cracks Bolas and a masterpiece.
>>
>>54577134
>salty about lottery cards
>because of value and not because the guy is going to rape you with his wrath of god
come on man, you should be used to getting screwed on booster packs by now
>>
>>54576926
Literally every set people say it's fun to draft. Build a cube and draft to your heart's content for free.
>>
>>54572118

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/27-07-17-mYn-rdw/

Thoughts, feedback?
>>
>>54577256
On the contrary; BfZ was a trash draft environment. Honestly, so was SoI.
>>
>>54576701
HOU was severly underrated and it's actually a preety nice set. Sure, there are many trash rares, but also preety nice ones like Champion of Wits, Crucible Snek, Hour of Devastation, God Pharaoh's gift, the Mirror, etc.

It's actually preety decent desu
>>
What do you guys think about riddleform? It's a pretty nice card for 2 and the scry really helps in grindy matches.
>>
>>54577403
Seems good. Probably want a Hazoret or two whenever you get your hands on it since you can end up running out of cards in hand really easily.
I'm also a big fan of Soul Scar Mage in mono red aggro. Especially if people you play against are running a lot of AHK gods. Though thats more of a personal preference than a real suggestion. I've never played the HOU version of the deck so it might not be all that great.
>>
>>54577534
I liked BfZ way more than HOUR
>>
>>54577929
worth slotting in a UR prowess type of build
>>
>>54574051
>unrefined
Every other competitive deck got fuckall in HOU except for two uncommons. They're as refined as their going to get, and RDW is still putting up 75-25 vs. the field and an 80% conversion rate.
>>
Went 2-2 with UR Spellboost tonight. I need sweltering suns.
>>
>try to make Scorpion God Mardu work for weeks
>doesn't work
>buy Mardu Reanimator instead
>get the perverse idea to combine them
>works better than Scorpion God Mardu on its own
Pretty fucking rad.
>>
How come I never get to play the deck that everyone is supposedly playing? Anyway, everyone seems to be playing that 2/1 guy that lets you draw 2 because his power is 2. My counterburn deck falls apart to eternalize or things with 4 toughness.
>>
>>54581557
Could just play Cut and go Grixis or something. Or play Disallow/Nimble Obstructionist or graveyard hate to take care of it.
There's plenty of ways.
>>
File: gisela-small.png (840KB, 1584x1224px) Image search: [Google]
gisela-small.png
840KB, 1584x1224px
Been testing this deck out online and at FNM. Went 4-1 last week and 5-0 this week. It's done pretty well.

// 60 Maindeck
// 7 Artifact
3 Aethersphere Harvester
4 Oketra's Monument
// 27 Creature
4 Lone Rider
3 Gisela, the Broken Blade
4 Glory-Bound Initiate
4 Thraben Inspector
4 Selfless Spirit
2 Odric, Lunarch Marshal
2 Oketra the True
4 Crested Sunmare
// 3 Enchantment
1 Cast Out
2 Stasis Snare
// 23 Land
15 Plains
4 Desert of the True
2 Westvale Abbey
1 Shefet Dunes
1 Endless Sands

// 15 Sideboard
// 1 Artifact
1 Aethersphere Harvester
// 1 Creature
1 Odric, Lunarch Marshal
// 8 Enchantment
2 Cast Out
2 Solemnity
2 Gideon's Intervention
2 Authority of the Consuls
// 2 Instant
2 Repel the Abominable
// 3 Planeswalker
3 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar

Versus UW or W monument, you've got a great matchup. Generally both decks build up a large boardstate, but once you find either odric or sunmare, the game just ends. Also, the first strike from Gisela and It That Rides crushes them.
Versus RDW, your inherent lifegain makes the entire match an uphill battle for them. It's still a tough matchup, but I'd say it's slightly in your favor.
Versus UR/Bolas control... it's rough. Probably 65/35 in their favor. If they can counter your plays turn 2-4 and Hour of Devastation on 5, it's hard to build up momentum again. Not a complete wash, though. Especially after sideboarding.
>>
I just bought RDW, the only other format I've played is EDH, what do I need to know about this format besides the simple rules stuff?
>>
>>54581989
Uses the last 4 blocks as legsl cards, Reflector Mage, Emrakul, Smuggler's Copter and Aetherworks Marvel are banned and the new meta is going to be known by probably wednesday.
>>
>>54582057
>he forgot the cat
>>
>>54581974
been meaning to make something like this

What's your U/R matchup like? My shops have consistent "I'm a control master lol all I play is control!" kind of autists
>>
>>54576423
https://www.twitch tv/videos/162560265
It should be noticed that he managed to get a total of 3 points and didn't make it to day 2, it's likely he didn't win a single constructed match
>>
>>54582845
UR is the worst matchup. It's so easy for them to deny you any sort of board presence till turn 5 when they can wipe any progress you made away with hour of devastation. The only real hope you have is to follow up with a gideon or gideon's intervention on torrential gearhulk. If you're lucky, you'll have Repel in your hand and can protect your stuff that way. But it's not really consistent.
>>
>>54582903
I was thinking of splashing black for Scrapheap Scrounger and some sideboard cards. But it might just be more worth it just to strengthen your other matchups and make them less loseable rather than wasting slots making a 0/100 matchup into a 10/90 matchup. Deck seems nuts against red
>>
>ramunap mirror match
I love this standard
>>
>>54583115
I like seeing the deck but just like Marvel, it gets boring after seeing it in at least 80% of the matches
>>
>>54583135
I feel like Marvel had a lot less interaction though, just slamming energy generators and spinning the wheel for bombs.
>>
File: Capture.png (1MB, 892x697px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
1MB, 892x697px
What's this weak against? (ignore sideboard)
>>
File: varg-vikernes[1].jpg (70KB, 700x426px) Image search: [Google]
varg-vikernes[1].jpg
70KB, 700x426px
Stop playing Standard
>>
>>54583414
graveyard hate, magma spray
>>
>>54583448
TCG without a standard equivalent are doomed to deteriorate in the same fashion as Yugioh

You should be thanking us for keeping this game alive
>>
>>54583448

>hi welcome to [generic comic shop], Timmy.
>yes I recommend magic the gathering if you're looking for a new hobby
>let's get you the basics so if you don't like it you aren't down too much money
>that'll be three thousand dollars plus tip
>>
>>54583578
that's $600 thank you very much
>>
>>54583414
don't fall for the torment of hailfire meme, mtggoldfish made an entire deck based around x9-x10ing that shit and still only won half the games, just maindeck 4 fatal pushes so you have a better aggro match up.
Red aggro was the big thing during the pro tour so your LGS will be running wild with it for the next month or so.

Other than that looks bretty fun and I wanna try it.
>>
>>54583635
>Red aggro was the big thing during the pro tour
Still is
>>
>>54583650
exaclty, and the only thing a torment will do is let them drop their hand to enable madness effects or hazoret.
>>
>>54583683
>madness effects
I don't think any red aggro decks are actually using the madness that the gorger provides
>>
File: 1451878113097.jpg (61KB, 500x573px) Image search: [Google]
1451878113097.jpg
61KB, 500x573px
>he didn't get his playset of Khenra Earthshaker for 80 cents each

I was sick of seeing RDW in every set up to Khans but I'm glad to see it back.
>>
>>54583448
I would love to but its all my friends play.
>>
>>54583789
got mine for $3
can't wait for Ixalan to shit on RDW so this garbage tanks
>>
>>54583872
>that mono white card that exiles everything attacking you this turn
atleast they get some free lands from it :>)
>>
>>54583872
Theres a lot of good control stuff in Ixalan, like the path to exile boardwipe, but raid is also returning so aggro is still gonna be around, but probably RB instead of monored
>>
File: captainlannerystorm.jpg (38KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
captainlannerystorm.jpg
38KB, 265x370px
>>54583872
lel
>>
File: kill the bee.jpg (109KB, 620x497px) Image search: [Google]
kill the bee.jpg
109KB, 620x497px
Hey /mtgs/

I'm pretty new to magic and am looking for recommendations for cute creatures (ideally green, white are ok)

A deck was built for me (vampire life drain) which helped me learn the basics, and for my first deck creation I'm looking at making one based off of cute animals. Someone let me play with his elves deck which was way too op for a scrub so I'm trying to learn via experimentation

So any cuties? Except cats and unicorns, I've exhausted those avenues

sorry for noob post, I'm not a /tg/ regular
>>
>>54583914
crop crasher is still a better 3 drop unless there's some other treasure synergy in ixalan that can be slotted into the deck
>>
>>54583914
eh, unless you have a treasure subtheme I dont see her doing much. Red needs a good onedrop to replace gorger and maybe a better three drop that does soemthing similar to bushwacker
>>
>>54583914
>Legendary

2 at best, probably going to start to put bloodlust inciter once gorger rotated out from standard
>>
Why is there no Ramunap Ruins playmat yet? That art is so good.
>>
>>54583962
flameblade adept is more likely, I think
menace isn't a bad trade off for 1 power
>>
>>54583789
I got mine at 33 cents a pop, along with Abrades at 70 cents.
I also got an invocation Hazoret a while ago for $30, was thinking of getting a playset because I'm a faggot and Hazoret is my pervert waifu, but they're up to $45+ now. Shitty.

Though I'm turbo salty that I literally cannot play standard anywhere. The two LGS in my town have zero standard attendance, the next two closest which are over half an hour away each have had, on average, 3-4 players each FNM for the past month.

I'm pissed. I just want to play magic.
>>
>>54584028
time to load up MGO and suffer the shitty client
>>
>>54583930
Like kitchen table magic? kithkin and fairies are pretty cute.
>>
>>54584034
The problem with MGO is the prices on everything are actually higher than paper for the RDW cards. Hazoret is ten, Chandra is 35, Earthshaker is 6, etc.
I really can't justify spending $250+ on a deck I already have in paper that I put together at a fraction of the cost.
>>
>>54583997
Flameblade has some really stupid potential with bomat couriers where you can just discard your hand of 4-5 cards and if you have multiple flameblades thats a lot of damage and hopefully the one or two cards you get off the courier help you finish the opponent off
>>
>>54584062
damn, I didn't even think about that
that's some fucking synergy

>>54584054
should have thought about it before you ordered your cards, dingus
resell your cards after the price spikes once the pro tour finishes
>>
>>54584046
I am assuming that means casual?

Yeah we play via cockatrice or in the shop
>>
>>54584117
There's a good selection of kithkin in white but I dont know if it's enough for a deck. Not really sure what else could be considered cute.
>>
>>54584077
I was expecting standard to not completely fucking collapse locally.
I guess next week I'll call around to some stores that are even farther away and see what they're up to. Even the Saturday Standard Showdown events are barren; I'm pretty sure all the stores are just cracking the packs and selling the singles.
It's frustrating because I really have no idea why everyone got scared off. The one LGS in particular was very anti-meta; only two or three people got burned by the bans out of 20+. I'm hoping maybe Game Day will attract some people.
Also, Flameblade Adept is better is you're also running Bloodrage Brawler and Fiery Temper. It's less consistent than the current versions of the monored deck, however, but can be more explosive.
>>
>all top8 is aggro decks

as a control fag maybe it's time to step out from standard FNM and focus on other stuff
>>
Is fatal push worth running in a grixis control deck? I've been looking for some way to make it more than a Izzet deck with a bolas finisher, have a hard time finding good cards that need the black mana to fit in alongside everything else.
>>
>>54584949

Fatal Push
Unlicensed Disintegration
To the Slaughter
Grasp of Darkness
Transgress the Mind
Kalitas, Traitor of Get
Liliana, the Last Hope
Noxious Gearhulk

Those are cards I've used in my Grixis Control deck.
>>
>>54584389
I think someone will figure out a good control build, everybody is just memeing UR hard but losing to RDW because it has no lifegain. I expect a control deck with either white or black simply because they have access to lifegain.
>>
File: 1501305900787.png (1015KB, 1077x1563px) Image search: [Google]
1501305900787.png
1015KB, 1077x1563px
Why are MTGfags sociopaths?
>: Investigators learned the two men were playing Magic the Gathering trading card game when an argument broke out.
>The discussion escalated and led to Creech hitting the man in the face with a rubber mallet and stabbing him seven times.
>The victim had stab wounds all around his neck and also on his cheek.
>>
>>54585207
Black gets you...what, exactly? Collective brutality maybe? Essence extraction? Alms of the vein?

If you want lifegain, you either want white for oketra's last mercy or green for life goes on.
>>
>>54585360
Gifted Aetherborn
Noxious Gearhulk
They're far better options for control decks than whatever else green would give
>>
>inb4 bannings again

MUH DIVERSITY!
>>
>>54585306
>requires disposable income to be competitive, and generally speaking the capitalist economic system is built to reward the morally bankrupt
>centers around tournament play, which in every hobby is a cesspool where RAWfags, rules lawyers and WAACfags of every strain breed and infect other, less cancerous activities
>often played by teenagers, a state of being that ought to be classified as a mental illness everyone who survives their first 12 years is subjected to
>>
>>54585207

I've been getting close to having a really solid Grixis Control deck. Several 3-1s where the losses have always been draw luck problems.

Haven't worked with Hour of Devastation yet but I'm working on it.
>>
>>54585633
>banning a bunch of shitty red cards that are only good when paired together and that will only be relevant for two months

WotC isnt THAT dumb...are they?
>>
i haven't played magic in like 10 years but i like card games and the free ones aren't good enough.
Should i buy MTGO?
to play exclusively Penny Dreadful because that's my budget
>>
>>54585748
They let Monte Cook apply MTG concepts to a cooperative tabletop RPG.
>>
>>54581094
>ur prowess build

I'm brewing ur prowess right now. What are some good cards for the build?
>>
File: 1501167375888.jpg (671KB, 1129x1498px) Image search: [Google]
1501167375888.jpg
671KB, 1129x1498px
>>54576423
>>
>>54585306
>that face is 31
i'd card him
>>
>>54585677
nigga that was at fnm
>>
>>54585633
You can't ban a single thing out of the red deck. It's just really good in a control meta that has fostered a Pass, Pass, Pass start to G1. A pile of hasties w/ unblockable is shoving peoples shit in.
>>
File: 1430792356204.png (32KB, 400x428px) Image search: [Google]
1430792356204.png
32KB, 400x428px
>>54586125
dude i was playing red sligh the second cartouche of zeal became standard legal. boss sligh was gas, this deck is gas. shop goons are gonna call me a netdecker despite me shredding them with falkenrath gorger and bomat courier for the past several months, though.
>>
File: 1454375486952.png (792KB, 705x725px) Image search: [Google]
1454375486952.png
792KB, 705x725px
>>54587543
>cartouches

While I love the card basically being your 5th-8th copy of ahn-crop crasher, I dunno if its as good if more people play red. I think I may just swap them out for shocks by game day
>>
>>54587599
are you going to get two or more damage through with it over the course of a game?
>>
Does the rise of rumanap red make crumble to dust a relevant card?
>>
>U/R was just becoming finely tuned and sweet after months and months of forcing awkward and bad cards to make it work
>becomes immediately irrelevant against ramp and mono red

Welp
>>
>>54587928
maybe worth sideboarding, but what are you gonna drop from UR control?
your card draw?
>>
>>54588105
the deck as a whole
>>
>>54587719
That depends on whether your enemy plays a fatal push in response to the cartouche or not
>>
>>54587599
>Pumps a creature
>Gives it haste
>Makes something unable to block

Its great in the deck.
>>
Kind of want to build around Sorin, Grim Nemesis's +1 with high CMC cards that don't actually cast for that (like hitting Dusk to Dawn causing your opponent to lose 9 life even though Dusk costs 4 mana). Do you guys think it's playable or will I get roflstomped?
>>
File: DSC_0001.jpg (3MB, 3920x2204px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0001.jpg
3MB, 3920x2204px
>>54576523
Hope you went anon. Built u/w tempo flyers deck and went 5-0. Pulled a Choke in my prize packs.
>>
File: download.jpg (14KB, 203x249px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
14KB, 203x249px
>>54572118
>Little upset this new non-legal card would have fit great in between kaladesh and Dino-world standard.
>Little upset...
>>
>>54588156
what i've learned about playing RB Aggro and Mono-red Sligh: the opponent spending removal spells on creatures not named Bomat Courier is objectively wrong.
getting 2-fer'd on cart+creature is irrelevant the second you cash in bro-mat for 3/4/5/etc
>>
>>54588403
How did you go 5-0 in draft? Were you playing across pods or something? Anyway, good job.
>>
>>54585633
they gonna ban 4 different cards? ixalan will just replace them anyways, this isn't like cat combo or marvel that rely on a specific card interaction.

Aggro is always a deck and the only way to beat it is to play midrange, notice how all of these cards have been around for months and ONLY just now got popular? It's because control started gaining traction and red aggro gets free wins off it.
>>
>>54588352
If your local meta isn't hyper competitive you probably got a fair chance if you build a sort of esper control

Looking at the split cards, here is what you'd be working with:
Commit to Memory (10cmc)
Rags to Riches (11cmc, most likely unplayable)
Never to Return (7cmc)
Start to Finish (6cmc)
Consign to Oblivion (7cmc)
Farm to Market (6cmc)
Grind to Dust (6cmc)
Maybe Hour of Revelation and Cryptic Serpent as well, though I wouldn't recommend either

If you're ok with playing a suboptimal deck and having it rotate out in less than 2 months then go for it, otherwise stick to something safer
>>
Trying out a Grixis build of the God-Pharaoh's list that was making the rounds. This is how it looks so far.

4 Vile Manifestation
4 Champion of Wits
4 Curator of Mysteries
4 Archfiend of Ifnir
3 Hollow One
4 Horror of the Broken Lands
3 Desert Cerodon
1 Elder Deep-Fiend
4 Cathartic Reunion
3 Grasp of Darkness
4 Gate to the Afterlife
2 God-Pharaoh's Gift
4 Aether Hub
4 Choked Estuary
3 Fetid Pools
3 Foreboding Ruins
3 Island
3 Swamp

Sideboard
2 Dispel
3 Abrade
3 Negate
3 Transgress the Mind
2 Drake Haven
2 Yahenni's Expertise
>>
>>54589085
I was mainly thinking of Dusk to Dawn, never to return and Start to Finish.

Also some Emerge creatures and Bone Picker. Hidden Stockpile to manipulate the Sorin +1 ability.
>>
>try to meme around with Majestic Myriarch and Odric deck on XMage
>can't even survive long enough to drop the damn thing because of RDW shitters everywhere
>>
>>54589895

You could probably goldfish against XMage's AI playing a RDW deck until you craft a sideboard with enough defense to handle it. That's what I plan to do, at least. It's a pretty brain-dead deck so XMage's AI should be able to handle it.
>>
>>54589746
You gain so much by adding blue. If you decided to stay strictly black white you won't stand a chance against any control deck and the consistency you gain in the mana base, you lose by not having the blue split cards and card filtering
Dusk to Dawn is a workaround card that is only good if your deck is playing a high number of creatures with power 2 or less, I'd rank it even lower than Rags to Riches in your deck idea
>>
>>54584389
Later cucktrol fag
>>
>>54588060
Yay
>>
>>54589746
In a deck like that you'll want lifegain, so fumigate over dusk/dawn.

I used Sorin in an esper control deck, was pretty solid, but man did the games grind out forever.
>>
>>54585803
mtgo costs $10 but you get 5 tickets (i think), which is enough to build 6 decks in theory. not bad if penny dreadful is all you play.
>>
File: DSC_0089_1.jpg (4MB, 3920x2204px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0089_1.jpg
4MB, 3920x2204px
>>54588642
We had huge turnout. But people kept Leaving and fucking up the matches so we kept having to change pods. It was a bit of a shit show but I won so I don't really care.
>>
>>54588060
just run 4 chandra's defeat maindeck

then you can win
>>
>>54589895
I played that deck for a while, then switched to mono-white. Sunmare is just better than myriarch, plus it makes oketra's monument better. Generally with all the lifelink and first strike in the deck, RDW isn't much trouble.
>>
>>54593159
The mono-white monument Sunmare deck has a high ceiling, but it's so weak to counterspells
As long as UR cancer is a thing this deck won't stand a chance unless you add colors or some other drastic changes
Being vulnerable to Hour of Devastation doesn't help either
>>
>>54572118
I really hope Exalan has a decent cheerio printed. I really enjoy playing Paradoxical reservoir but the best cheerio pieces are leaving standard on the next rotation, and the deck is already weak in the current meta.
it needs a cheerio that scrys one or something.
>>
Here is a quick first draft of mono-white lifegain to counter all the incoming mono-red decks
The sideboard is a mess because of how terrible the main is against almost all non-aggro decks

//Lands
1 Blighted Steppe
4 Crypt of the Eternals
19 Plains

//Spells
2 Aethersphere Harvester
1 Authority of the Consuls
4 Blessed Alliance
3 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar

//Creatures
4 Aerial Responder
4 Crested Sunmare
2 Gisela, the Broken Blade
4 Glory-Bound Initiate
4 Lone Rider
4 Sacred Cat
4 Thraben Inspector

//Sideboard
SB: 1 Aethersphere Harvester
SB: 1 Archangel Avacyn
SB: 2 Authority of the Consuls
SB: 1 Bruna, the Fading Light
SB: 2 Cast Out
SB: 1 Declaration in Stone
SB: 2 Dusk // Dawn
SB: 1 Felidar Sovereign
SB: 2 Forsake the Worldly
SB: 1 Hour of Revelation
SB: 1 Oketra's Last Mercy
>>
>>54593227
>UR
M8 control is ded everyone and their mother is going to be playing RDW, delerium, or some kind of anti-those decks tech.
>>
>>54593880
Maybe in higher level we'll see <8% of UR variants, but at the local level you've got people who spent good money on their playset of gearhulk, planeswalker, mana base, etc...
They sure as hell aren't going to switch deck when theirs is still represented at top level even if it doesn't make the top 8

I'm pretty hopeful that the meta will adjust and mono-red will make less than a quarter of the meta at some point, but UR is here to stay regardless especially since it will have good matchups against decks made to counter the top 3 decks
>>
RDW was already underrated before HOU came out. Ramunap Ruins should've been sorcery speed for 1RR and the deck would be a lot more fair.
>>
>chandra approaching pre-release pricing
should I order a playset now
>>
>>54595813
does the speed matter?
no one starts blowing up deserts response to anything because there isn't any good land destruction
>>
>>54596440
It lets you keep mana up for abrade and shock

sorcery speed is also relevant against something like Elder Deep Fiend when the game gets grindy. Had a match go long today and the guy tried to tap my lands during my upkeep but I just floated his targets for Ruins.
>>
Why is no one running bushwacker in top 8?
>>
File: 1460860667111.gif (2MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1460860667111.gif
2MB, 500x281px
Maybe I just need to play against it, but why is RDW so good when so many wipes exist? Why is runemap ruins, a card that costs 5 mana to shock seeing this much play? What am I missing here?
>>
>>54596481
I didn't see anyone at the pro tour blow up their deserts on their opponent's turn.

>>54596529
Your opponent has to first slot those wipes in, then they have to draw the wipes, and lastly they have to have the mana to play the wipes.
The ruins acts like a regular mountain with a slight downside (NOT speed), but allow you to close out the game if your opponent only has a few points of life left.
It's especially good when combined with the other desert that pings when it comes into play, because then it's an expensive bolt that doesn't take up any extra slots in the deck that are reserved for haste creatures.
>>
>>54596529
>why RDW so good when so many boardwipes exist
well they need 4/5 turns to boardwipe their red opponent and possibly living on 5-6 life and dies to burn anyways
>why 5 mana shock seeing this much play
IT'S UNCOUNTERABLE SHOCK (besides disallow, which not much ppl playing it), it finishes game with the desert that pings you.
>>
>>54596517
Most of your shit already has haste, you have preety decent reach anyways, and you have more important stuff to run like anti-blockers, anti-red and anti artifact techs, and their choice to mindgame the other red decks
>>
>>54596529
You're forgetting the 5 mana shock is also just a red land, why would you NOT play a mountain fused with a shock and colorless ability for eldrazi side ins?
>>
>>54577403
aggro are gonna hurt if the drop any creatures over 3 toughness, and you cant out pace them
>>
File: 1385136139955[1].png (19KB, 870x870px) Image search: [Google]
1385136139955[1].png
19KB, 870x870px
>>54596529
Because its FAST
>>
File: 1463157244255.gif (3MB, 640x266px) Image search: [Google]
1463157244255.gif
3MB, 640x266px
>Hazoret is 20 dollars now

I am almost debating just selling the deck at this point but I do want to try and play some sort of naya or RB raid deck when rotation happens so I'm sure they wont tank back down to what they were last week
>>
File: 1486317120781.png (281KB, 535x466px) Image search: [Google]
1486317120781.png
281KB, 535x466px
>>54598971
>only bought two the other night
>forgot to buy a couple of chandras
fuck
>>
>>54598971
>What is this asshole talking about, Hazoret it still-
>Look at TCG
>Market price is up to $14 with listings up to $20
>tfw I was thinking about buying a playset of Invocation perverts the other day
Well, at least I have five total Hazorets. Also got my earthshakers for 33 cents each and the lands for like 8 cents.
>>
>>54598971
Oh US prices, u so silly.

She had a huge price spike in Europe too, which amounted to her going from 6€ to 7.50€.

Why are cards always THAT much more expensive over there?
>>
>>54599658
bigger market, sellers don't hesitate to adjust prices
>>
File: tumblr_oqxb9lHHJX1w355gto1_1280.jpg (491KB, 1280x989px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_oqxb9lHHJX1w355gto1_1280.jpg
491KB, 1280x989px
>>54599658
More players, I would assume.
>>
File: Game Day Deck RB Madness Burn.jpg (2MB, 3980x2620px) Image search: [Google]
Game Day Deck RB Madness Burn.jpg
2MB, 3980x2620px
>>54598971
Glad I picked her up months ago. Already saw how powerful the card was in RB madness so I'm glad that its seeing more play now.
>>
>>54599868
Shame you had to pay for her with the light in your home
>>
>enjoy monument 100%, play it as a U/W with a slight control lean/attrition game
>it's the most fun I've had in a deck in years
>It's about to fall out of favour even before game day
Life is suffering, bros.
>>
File: 1497699687343.png (207KB, 530x530px) Image search: [Google]
1497699687343.png
207KB, 530x530px
>>54599868
Anon did you spend all your money on cards and now you can't pay your electric bill?
>>
>>54599902
>>54599975
Who needs light to play magic?
>>
>>54599963
Why is it suffering? You can still play it. Add some lifelink to it and now you've got a deck that's very advantaged against monored.
>>
>looking through collection for a sweeper to deal with RDW nonsense
>all I have is 2 Fumigates, 3 Engulf the Shores, and 4... Rolling Thunders

Well, this isn't going to be pretty.
>>
>>54600168
I'm actually not sure exactly how I'd like to be dealing with monored. It just seems to be that I shouldn't bother with the engine until they're low on gas, so my thought was, instead of lifelink, just fuck around with saving grace/essence scatter into Dusk/Dawn, etc.

But then again nobody has played RDW in my meta yet so I'm unsure of how to play against it
>>
>>54600687
That's not going to work.
Trust me, the best way to fuck over decks like monored/burn is with lifelink. Aethersphere harvester is amazing against the deck, along with cards like lone rider.
>>
>>54600687
Dusk/Dawn really doesn't hit much in their deck
>>
How does U/R deal with monored?

Splash white for Last Hope? Black for Aetherborn Lifelinker?
>>
Shouldn't monument have a good MU against RDW? They build board presence like madmen. Who cares if one 1/1can't block when they're like 4 of them?
>>
>>54600743
>lone rider
That I can do. Problem is that lone riders usually need some help, and I don't know what I can slide out of the main to make it work.

>>54600745
Can't half the deck eternalize?
>>
>>54600827
Athersphere harvester, Glorybound Initiate will flip 'em.
>>
>>54600776
Authority of the Consuls is the card that scares me the most as a red player desu, you get that on turn one and theres really no way to deal with it
>>
>>54600876
I would much, much rather have Glorybound. How many do you think the deck needs, reasonably? 3 and 3, 1 and 1 in the board?

>>54600885
>Authority of the Consuls against RDW
>>
>>54600905
Lonerider works great with Glorybound and Aethersphere since they'll flip it.
>>
>>54600885
Try as a RB Zombie player. Especially with multiple ones out. Haunted dead gives them 4 life for 3 power if they have 2 out.
>>
File: 211321.jpg (47KB, 292x413px) Image search: [Google]
211321.jpg
47KB, 292x413px
>Kari Zev stealing Kari Zev for the win
>>
>>54600994
Excellent play
>>
>>54601034
>>54600994
As exciting as topdecks are, they're entirely luck based, so I have a hard time calling them skillful.
>>
>>54600994
It was a really flashy lava spike. All it actually did was get in for 3, incendiary flow would have been identical in that spot
>>
>>54598971
>tfw you sold your dog mom for $8 at prerelease

HE MISSED IT BOYS HE FUCKED UP.
>>
File: 1475455823184.jpg (50KB, 440x429px) Image search: [Google]
1475455823184.jpg
50KB, 440x429px
>when you go too fast you actually miss out on a winning move
>>
>>54601328
>when you're going too aggro with your red aggro
>>
OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
>>
HAHAAHHAHAA
>>
File: 5724553.jpg (165KB, 659x499px) Image search: [Google]
5724553.jpg
165KB, 659x499px
Is yam going to boil himself after this?
>>
File: 1453787562191.png (342KB, 394x394px) Image search: [Google]
1453787562191.png
342KB, 394x394px
What happened to Yam is why you never jump the gun on plays
>>
WHAT ARE YOU TAPPING FOR

WHAT ARE YOU TAPPING FOR??
>>
still a hell of a finish, isn't this his first pro tour?

>>54601475
especially with no time limit
>>
File: gpHK_T8_Yam_Wing_Chun.jpg (83KB, 400x605px) Image search: [Google]
gpHK_T8_Yam_Wing_Chun.jpg
83KB, 400x605px
This guy walks up and taps your girlfriend's Hazoret the Fervent.

What do you do?
>>
>>54601516
But my girlfriend is Hazoret the Feverent
>>
>>54601516
go to combat
>>
>>54601516
calmly tell him that there are two cards in hand
>>
>>54601516
JUDGE
>>
>>54601516
i'm giggling like an ass at this
>>
>paulo rules lawyering for the win

mtg pro
>>
>>54601516
Beat him with a 4 mana sorcery speed shock, Kappa
>>
clips twitch tv/ScrumptiousMotionlessAnacondaBrainSlug

>That part where he slaps the table in defeat
>>
>>54601691
>not allowing takebacks at the highest level of professional play
>"rules lawyering"
>>
>>54601691
That wasn't anywhere near rules lawyering. The second he tapped the hazoret he basically shortcut to the attackers step of combat, no one had to say anything, cause everyone knew this, Paulo did, yan did, the judges, the commentators, even twitch chat. Paulo didn't know he has lethal on hand, he didn't know he threw that game til probably after that turn passed. L2p faggot
>>
>>54601738
he even pointed at dog mom after letting it sit there and waited for paulo to respond, see here >>54601691
>>
>>54601738
Paulo was pretty sure it was lethal because he could hear the crowd cheering, he said as much in the interview.
>>
>>54601722
>>54601738
>>54601779
paulo fans helping him rules lawyer
>>
>>54601798
>helping him
there were literally judges there to help explain the rules to his opponent, no need for anyone else to
>>
>>54601802
>judges aren't paulo's fans
keep trying kid
>>
File: putin.jpg (32KB, 420x336px) Image search: [Google]
putin.jpg
32KB, 420x336px
>>54601798
>ignoring rules of the card game by spouting a buzzword
so why did he tap the hazoret then? he using it to crew a smugglers copter from the ban zone?
>>
>>54601830
>thinking
oh sorry you can't do that with your actions
>>
>>54601842
(you)
>>
>>54601783
Let me put it this way, if yam had decided to take it back, and Paulo had nothing to object to this, cast the spells then attack, a judge would immediately intervene, without even Paulo needing to say a word. Because first there going to ask what he's doing, since he already attempted to attack in the combat step, unsuccessfully, then he's going to explain what he meant to do, and the judge will tell him he can't do that, since declaring an attacker is a shortcut to passing priority to declare attacker step even if you couldn't legally attack with hazoret because you showed the intent to with your actions. He will tell him that from what they saw he attempted and failed to attack with hazoret, cast his 2 spells in post combat main, and that's it. Probably even issue a warning as well. Paulo didn't have to even say anything. L2Judge
>>
>>54601853
I completely agree that it wasn't rules lawyering by any stretch, but I was just pointing out that Paulo was not completely unaware of the situation.
>>
>>54601867
To be fair that wasn't exactly a poker face yam did when he realized he chunted
>>
>>54601937
Very true, but it was a moot point at that moment.
>>
>>54596576
>I didn't see anyone at the pro tour blow up their deserts on their opponent's turn.
You must not have been paying much attention because they consistently do it at the end of the enemy's turn unless they have lethal on board
>>
>>54602038
Today I saw it happen once, but most of the time the opponent extends a hand before they start blowing them up. It's an open threat.
Either way, making it sorcery speed wouldn't make a huge difference.
Making it 1RR would probably be an overall buff, as that would reduce the amount of other lands you have to have to start shocking.
>>
>>54597025
>well they need 4/5 turns
not him, but we have kozi returns, i believe as people know the deck and fear it more, it should be counterable, i doubt it will retain that dominance
>>
>when all of your games in a bo5 semifinal are decided by mana screw/flood
>>
File: DMjOSij.jpg (49KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
DMjOSij.jpg
49KB, 375x523px
>punt
>manascrew

Great semi's
>>
>>54602198
Dude its time like those when its worth being up at 2 am to watch a pro tour, of course a CC fag wouldnt understand tho.
>>
>>54602225
I lost a game of rocket league because I was laughing so hard at that punt
>>
>MTG female commentators are fat whores with big flabby tits

Why am I not surprised
>>
>>54602274
She's the absolute worst one
>>
>>54602274
she is so far bette rthen the forced female they had before her it's ridiculous, the redhead was just absurd, i have no idea how she got the job.
>>
>>54602291
At least gaby spartz is nice to look at.
>>
>turn 5 kill
noice
>>
>>54602297
Wait there was a redhead?
>>
>>54602414
i don't knwo how much time ago she was deleted, i used to see her after BFZ i believe, then i stopped following magic. She might have been the first female they had, but i am not sure at all.
>>
>>54602274
implying there would be any other option

honestly women commentators are so forced it hurts
>>
>>54602506
this one doesn't seem too bad
british man seems to stumble in transitions with her a bit though
>>
Watching so many games just wiff because of mana flooding makes me hesitant to ever go to a big event.
>>
>>54602523
Rich is absolutely horrid. I've seen better commentators in E-sports and they fuck around for a living. Rich actually goes out of his way to shit on new players asking questions and shits on his own panel frequently.
>>
>Hagon went into detail about cutting himself on Limited Resources.

I hate that stupid theatrical fuck. He needs to go the way of Randy Buehler
>>
>>54602574
what?
>>
>>54602574
explain further, i'll grab the popcorn
>>
post yfw red deck literally wins
>>
File: 625.jpg (22KB, 211x291px) Image search: [Google]
625.jpg
22KB, 211x291px
>Pvddr winning a tournament that he should have lost
>twice
>>
File: BRGmeZo.jpg (9KB, 350x304px) Image search: [Google]
BRGmeZo.jpg
9KB, 350x304px
>>54602772
>>
>>54602772
red deck doesnt cast burn spells in phase 1 then punts the match by attacking with hazoret. Then marshal saying Hazoret won the whole thing when a kenra earthshaker got the kill with a fatal push in hand. The whole thing is scripted.
>>
File: 1412708078568.jpg (9KB, 316x202px) Image search: [Google]
1412708078568.jpg
9KB, 316x202px
>>54602772
>didn't buy full playset of Hazoret after day 1
>she's now spiked to $20
>>
>>54602785

makes me sick
>>
>>54602803
>with a fatal push in hand.
oh shit I missed that bit
how much life was sam at? he still got diddled by the etb effect of the earthshaker
>>
i'm investing all of my money into razaketh the foulblooded foils
>>
>>54603029
Why
>>
File: photo3-e1363019392918.jpg (1MB, 1936x2592px) Image search: [Google]
photo3-e1363019392918.jpg
1MB, 1936x2592px
>>54602274
That's okay, Anon. More for me. I would give her my cookies.
>>
Post rotation every deck gets significantly weaker except for RDW which only loses options for 1 drops and Incendiary flow

More bans?
>>
can you think of a worse deck(in terms of the cards' singular powerlevel) ever beign so dominant in standard?
>>
>>54603171
abzan midrange. turbo emrakul. temur marvel.

siege rhino, courser of kruphix, anafenza. emrakul. aetherworks marvel.
>>
>>54603103
1. we don't know ixalan set list.
2. gr pummeler/beatdown loses gametrail, cinder glade.
3. GB counters loses nissa? lmao?
mono b and u/w are basically the only decks that get hit by rotation, do you even play this game?
>>
>>54603060
EDH I guess
>>
>>54603103
a single card can make or break decks as we saw with RDW which hadn't been a serious threat since Khans. Ixalan has a lot of aggro hosers from the leaked list and authority of the consuls absolutely fucks over the deck, it's just that no one really plays white except UW monument and you can be they will be slotting in at least three in their sideboard now
>>
>>54604262

worse as in "low power cards" is what I assume he meant
>>
>>54604295
Most GB counters decks play Grim flayer, grasp of darkness, sideboard liliana and traverse the ulvenwald
>>
>>54583586
>Playing the modern meme
>>
>>54605439
it's fun
>>
>>54588105
I'd cut censor and any maindeck negates for crumble and a couple more sweepers.
>>
>>54598971
I grabbed a hazoret from my lgs for 12 and a foil one on tcg last night for 18. Soon as I saw the price spike i took action.

Already would have played them in my red white deck if had them before.
>>
welp time to make a stupid white lifelinking deck that shits over mono red but is bad against just about any tier 2 deck

I kinda preferred the post-marvel ban format when we had energy, GB, mardu, monument, and zombies as the best decks.
>>
>>54606827
Awww poor cucktrol babby, you mad that my lands bolt you and my creatures make it so you cant blockie wockie?
>>
>>54607034
>control
>having creatures to block early-mid game
>>
>>54607034
not really seeing as the mtgo meta has already adapted to shit on mono red already

zombies shit all over mono red lmao
>>
>>54581557
>My counterburn deck

I came here to laugh at you.
>>
How would these perform in tournament play? Nerf seems savage.
>>
>>54607180

Nerf would be banned, people are already whining about their cards being damaged on Maro's blog.
>>
>>54607197
>>54607180
Nerf and Grimlock arent even in the set, they are just promos.
>>
>>54603103
nah, what would they even ban?
aggro is just a playstyle not a busted combo like the last two bans needed.

play aethersphere harvester or lifelink in your decks for about two months and it will die off naturally.

The only reason RDW fucked so hard is
a) literally everyone ran it
b) U/R control got hyped through the roof by people which absolutely gets fucked by it
c) b/g (the deck people thought would beat it) turned out to be pretty bad vs it if you didn't draw your removals.
>>
>>54602757
In the LR interview with Rich Hagon it gets super dark midway through. I dont remember it well, but he brings up cutting himself as a way to fight depression. Came out of nowhere from what I can remember

>Oi chap, I can tapdance and do the theatre
>Im a grown ass man, heres a magic story
>I get anxious and depressed and cut me self on the reg
>Continues about magic stuff

Its LR 235
>>
>>54588459

Wait, is it a flip card? What's the other face?
>>
>>54607180
The trademark symbol really kills any sense of 'fun' on the card and instead just makes it feel really corporate.
>>
>>54610852
8/8 Trample with the same transform (sorry, convert) ability.
>>
>>54608947
expect a lot more white midrange decks. not monument

im talking fumigate, im talking planeswalkers, im talking flooding the board, im talking cheap removal
>>
File: 1472351788319.png (1MB, 852x854px) Image search: [Google]
1472351788319.png
1MB, 852x854px
>>54609025
Jarring.
>>
>>54612706
Blessed alliance vs ramunap red, mainly to kill off hazoret and mid game can definitely use the 4 life gain to help fight off burn as well, probably more use of aethersphere harvester in vehicle decks like mardu, kalitas might make a showing before he rotates out, I can see the meta shifting in the next few weeks, and that's fine, this is usually how healthy metas start, aggro based since we haven't had the time to fine tune the more intricate decks. I'm actually ecstatic mono red is viable again, last time that was a thing was when standard was actually good. I already threw together a br control style deck, feels grapes.
>>
>>54612706
you don't even need that, hell the mono-white sunmare deck steamrolls RDW with lonerider and aethersphere harvester alone.

if you're deck can fit 4 copies of any creature with the word lifelink on it and that vehicle you just win. Just watch out for abrade game 2/3
>>
>>54613984
rdw maindecks 2 or more abrade
>>
in jeskai control, which is preferable maindeck in this meta, blessed alliance or magma spray?
So far my removal suite is 4 harnessed lightning, 2 magma spray, 1 blessed alliance, 2 cast out, 1 fumigate.
>>
>>54616358

It depends entirely on your local metagame. If there's is more prevalence of zombies in your local meta, play Magma Spray maindeck. If not then play Blessed Alliance.
>>
>>54583930
Grazing Gladehart, Sacred Wolf and Fledgeling Griffon are kinda cute. Also you could make a squirrel deck :D
>>
>>54607034
They don't bolt, they shock you fucking retard. As expected by someone who still uses "cuck" whenever they get the chance.
>>
has standard been good at all since khans rotated out?
>>
>>54617203
This is unironically the best it has been since.
>>
>>54617225
Yeah i've been keeping up with the scene since the bannings, seems like its a bit more fun now.
>>
>>54616358
magma spray 100%, people are gonna netdeck mono red hard and you removing earthshaker from the game is huge swing in your favor.
Blessed alliance is really bad against aggro because when they swing out with 4 guys they don't care to sac the weakest, magma atleast lets you pick what you kill.
>>
whats the best website to buy singles?
>>
File: 1498534242697.gif (650KB, 647x363px) Image search: [Google]
1498534242697.gif
650KB, 647x363px
>build some RG monster shit in prep for Ixalan
>it does ok at FNM but not great
>notice RDW is coming back in MTGO
>look at deck list
>looks good enough, and I already got Hazorets for my RG deck
>order the rest because it costs less than 20 dollars
>no Chandras though
>suddenly Tom Ross plays RDW
>now its gaining more traction
>think nothing of it though
>suddenly its over half the pro tour and 6 of top 8 decks
>also the winner
>now everyone is metagaming against it and I havent got the chance to play it once yet
>>
>tfw u dont know whether to plan for rdw or zombies
I think generally avacyn is decent against both although zombies packs grasp of darkness
>>
Hazoret and all the other cards in that deck are going to settle back down within a month, maybe less.
Guess I'm glad I got everything for it when it was cheap, though I'm sure it's going to get hated to fuck at Game Day. I want to play my modified Jund Gods deck, but I have no idea if it's any decent owing to the fact no one plays standard within fifty miles of here anymore. I wonder if there'll even be 8 for Game Day.

At any rate, I'm thinking of packing sweepers and shit in my sideboard and switching to a more burn-oriented deck.
>>
Hey all, new to the competitive scene, got into it with my friend and I built a couple of decks to play at locals. It would be awesome if I could get some feedback.
My deck: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/rw-gideonhumans/

His deck: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/br-torment-of-doom-budget/ - Super budget btw, We scrambled together a bunch of cards that I had.
>>
>>54617652
you can sell the hazoret for more then you paid for the deck in total, that's already too good for a bandwagoner like you.(i advise selling fast, i believe hazoret won't hold)
>>
>>54617810
>I want to play my modified Jund Gods deck, but I have no idea if it's any decent owing to the fact no one plays standard within fifty miles of here
play online?
>>
>>54618020
Fucking figures as soon as i upload my decks tappedout craps out.
>>
>>54618020
humans is a great angle for an aggressive deck, and r/w has some good ones.
To start with, trial synergy is really not worth it and you dont have enough creatures to support your cartouches.
on top of that, the intro deck gideon is really atrocious and you have way too many taplands.
the r/w uncommons from both of the amonkhet sets along with bfz are p good and stasis snare , abrade, or harnessed lightning would be good removal spells for you.
>>
>>54618123
Unfortunately I can't really justify spending the money to buy two of the same deck, know what I mean?
>>
>>54618020
you can use this for reference https://www.channelfireball.com/articles/deck-of-the-day-red-white-humans/ . you dont need to get the money rares since a bunch of the workhorse cards in humans are cheap.

the second one is a bit harder since i dont play black. you should push it more toward the mid-game though, firebrand archer doesnt help much for that. gifted aetherborn is a good roadblock in black i guess? just try to play fewer 1-ofs.
>>
>>54618222
play on cockatrice or xmage? Have you really never heard of them?
>>
>>54617810
>>54617652
sell your doggo moms, they'll hiccup here in the next month and then drop again when ixalan hits.
I sold my B/W zombies last game day and look where that deck is now.
>>
File: big boss.jpg (27KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
big boss.jpg
27KB, 500x500px
Is there somewhere where you can look at what the top say 64 players at pro tour were playing? I want to know the percentages of the bigger decks like RDW, UB control and so forth.

My locals net deck like mother fuckers and I need to be prepared for what all they will play.
(So far expecting RDW, BG, and maybe UW monument)
>>
>>54618289
If I was smart and had invested in 20+ copies sure, but they may have some use in ixalan still as a decent curvetopper. Raid is returning after all
>>
>>54618168
>>54618232
thank you for the advice. Is there anyway to rotation-proof this deck for october, or am I SOL?
>>
>>54618256
Haven't used xmage, but I know cockatrice is shit unless you're with friends/in voice chat. People trying to cheat constantly, leaping through phases, arguing with you, etc.
I suspect xmage is the same way.
>>
>>54618360
it survives rotation if you get metallic mimics, unfortunately they're almost $6 a pop right now.
the problem is all of the human synergy is in the SOI block so your deck stays W/R humans without anything that makes them special, unless of course you add in mimics.

The good news is ixalan looks like it will be heavily tribal based so it's possible you get some cards to help you out there.
Could always just drop the tribal and keep it as a tempo W/R deck, IDK how budget you wanna keep it so it's hard to say for sure.
>>
>>54618388
xmage actually has rules programmed in, so you cant just do things like cast sorceries in draw step, and if something dies, it does it for you, and what not. There's even a takes backsies button but the opponent has to approve it, so you dont meet people that are like 'aw man, thats crazy that u have blessed alliance, i misclicked attacks, so redo?' since you just say no i theyre obvious bullshitters. At most you get is salty players but thats everywhere from mtgo to paper magic. I actually play test my Living End there if I ever feel like fucking with the formula. And they have different categories like Casual or Serious, if you choose to play a serious match up, your more likely going to play a meta deck or a deck made to try to compete with the meta, choosing casual will more likely end up in newer players, or jank combo decks.
>>
>>54618312
Fuck you

Wizards normally post an article on their website shortly after the pro tour
>>
File: tumblr_o2iwa6X4me1rwb6tdo1_500.png (199KB, 500x362px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o2iwa6X4me1rwb6tdo1_500.png
199KB, 500x362px
>>54618529
thanks jabroni.
>>
>>54618388
horror stories are often overblown as is the case now, also as hte other anon said. Furthermore if testing the deck is important to you surely you can take the risk of encounterign a cheater, not going to kill you,
>>
>>54602274
>>54602506
It's almost as if the social standing of a given hobby is reflected in the number of attractive women participating in it. Really makes you think
>>
>>54618702
>What is Soccer/Football?
>What is Baseball?
>What is Basketball?
At the opposite
>What is synchronized swimming?
>>
Hazoret sucks dick.

Servos/mechanized production ftw.
>>
>>54618822
>Hazoret sucks dick.
Obviously, why do you think she's called The Pervert?
>>
>>54618822
>Not Mechanized Clues
>>
>>54618748
Fans/groupies also count. Are you trying to say there is a shortage of attractive women surrounding pro basketball/soccer players? Because there isn't. Quite the opposite infact, unlike with pro MTG players. If the NBA was hellbent on finding an attractive woman to do coverage, they would have a far easier time compared to MTG.
>>
>>54619278
>Fans/groupies also count.
Then you're right.
I don't know a lot of people that are into soccer or basketball because there's hot chicks supporting though
>>
can i get a quick rundown on BG rites?
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/standard-black-green-rite#online
>>
W-well at least my GW cats will be good against RDW r-right?
>>
File: Capture.png (774KB, 613x704px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
774KB, 613x704px
Can I get some feedback on this build?

Zombie//Afflict [scarab god]

Creatures
4 Ammit Eternal (3 drop)
4 Champion of Wits (3 drop)
4 Dread Wanderer (1 drop)
4 Eternal of Harsh Truths (3 drop)
4 Lord of the Accursed (3 drop)
4 Spellweaver Eternal (2 drop)
3 The Scarab God (5 drop)

Lands
[24]

Sorceries
3 Never
1 Torment of Hailfire

Instants
4 Fatal Push

Logic behind the Torment is it gets rid of indestructible creatures. I'd need to mill the rest of the board to make that happen, so many a Bontu's last Reckoning would help Torment a lot. Bontu might work really well with Scarab god too, since if it's that late, I would be able to start taking stuff back from their graveyard presumably quicker than the opponent could replace stuff... But then I need to start sacking stuff. Maybe throw them both in the sideboard? Assuming there isn't a more pressing problem with my deck. It will be my first build.
>>
File: 1454342151368.jpg (353KB, 910x645px) Image search: [Google]
1454342151368.jpg
353KB, 910x645px
I'm happy RDW was the deck to spike and that I can now brew together my Mardu Scorpion God -1/-1 Counter God-Pharaoh's Gift deck for relatively cheap.
>>
>>54620870
Bontu's Last Reckoning is a nonbo with Scarab God, as you both want mana to cast The Scarab God AND activate his ability after any wipes. He is one mana-hungry motherfucker.

Think about Grasp of Darkness in the sideboard
>>
So how do you guys plan to fight off the red menace?
>>
>>54621892
i plan to mill everyone
>>
>>54621892
By playing mono-red myself.
Dumb as it sounds, mono-red mirrors are often pretty fun to play because it becomes a sort of monkey knife fight where you're handcuffed together.
>>
>>54622140

Isn't the aggro mirror basically decided by who goes first?
>>
>>54622257
Well, assuming no one is getting mana screwed/flooded, it comes down to who figures out if they're supposed to reading if you're the beatdown or control player for that round. Small variances in deck building can also influence who is the beatdown - ie the player with more removal spells is probably going to want to play the control role.
It's a shame so many matches of magic become non-games due to land shortages/flooding, though.
>>
>>54621892
2 blockers with hexproof
>>
>>54622600
Blue budget improvise with those 4/4 hexproof dudes?
>>
>>54622600

Good luck with that, all the hexproof creatures in standard cost a lot of mana
>>
>>54621892
Flaying Tendrils.
>>
>>54621442

Yeah I see what you mean, the bontu torment scarab seems like a fun idea but would be simply impractical and slow.

Ahh grasp isn't too pricey. I'm tryna make it rotation proof, but at 2.50 a pop it should be fine. Gonna do my first FNM not this friday but next.

I'm pretty reliant on the scarab god, currently I own 2. (pulled them both from a bundle hence why i'm doing this deck), do you think 2 would be enough or should I get another (or maybe 2)? They're pricey, I also don't have my fatal pushes yet..
>>
File: Capture.png (1MB, 888x697px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
1MB, 888x697px
Updated.

How is my land selection looking? I *think* that's pretty close to my best possible land setup that's rotation proof at least. No good blue/blacks til ixalan right?

I'd like to think about dropping the Spellweavers, but not sure if there's anything better that fits my theme. Afflict 2 is okay.
>>
File: Capture.png (1MB, 892x688px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
1MB, 892x688px
>>54623366

Or what I could do is drop the spellweavers and throw in a few Dagger of the Worthy's to attach to something.

2 drop, equip for 2.... ehhhhhh I probably need that spellweaver to block.

Thinking this switch is not a wise move.
>>
>>54623366
why not change evolving wilds and aether hub for some dual lands?
>>
>>54623366
>>54623432
forgot to write. You could use cycle lands. That way if you have enough lands, you could just cycle them, unlike aether hub
>>
>>54623432

Are there any blue blacks that don't enter tapped, that aren't about to rotate? I can't seem to find an easy to find "land finder" -- if there are then i'd probably still shy away if they were over 3$ (unless they were getting reprinted in Ixalan)
>>
>>54623467

Also I thought the evolving wilds might be good to trigger revolt on the FP. Not like it's something to RELY ON, but it seems like a nice upside to the fact that the land comes in tapped.
>>
>>54623467

>cycle lands

ooooh I see, the cycle lands will still trigger revolt. Then yeah i'm interested, what set are they in?
>>
>>54623467

Actually shit lol. The math behind evolving wilds (land comes in tapped) vs dual (land still comes in tapped) is not obvious to me. Guess with duals, you can cycle later if you hit it early, but if you hit the evolving wilds early, it's very likely you need to sac it immediately, and then you only have a basic in the end.

hmm
>>
>>54623526
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?action=advanced&format=+[%22Standard%22]&type=+[%22Land%22]&text=+[{U}]+[{B}]
>>
>>54623567
they won't trigger revolt as you cycle them from your hand. But they are from amonkhet.
>>
File: Capture.png (1MB, 891x696px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
1MB, 891x696px
>>54623608
>>54623616

Thanks. I think you're right. I think the Aether Hub should be safe though, although I see its risk. If I get screwed on mana, it will likely be blues i'm not hitting though, so Aether Hub should buy me a blue for one turn. If i'm in that position though, I SHOULD have two swamps, so it's not like i'll get screwed on the grasp of darkness. If I don't hit a blue on turn 3 or 4 I guess I just flip the table.
>>
>>54623932
i'm thinking now... if you actually do use evolving wilds instead of aether hub, when you sac it, and get a land from your deck, you are also decreasing the chance of drawing a land later, when you don't need it (as you are technically removing 2 cards from your deck for the price of 1), but since I guess you need a faster start, they would be a lot slower things to have in hand then aether hubs.
>>
>>54623366
>>54623429
Dagger of the worthy is utter trash. The first use costs you 4 mana to give a creature +2/0 and 2 affict, meanwhile your opponent will spend his 4 mana on Hazoret, Chandra, multiple removal, card advantage, etc...
Spellweavers are barely playable and will become unplayable once the meta adjusts to deal with RDW's X/1 creatures
Eternal of harsh Truths has too low stats and is too weak to removal for its text box to matter

A rotation-proof Zombie deck without white cannot compete with tier decks mostly because of complete lack of good 2 drops
We're getting another set of WU and UB duals in ixalan, so going tricolor won't be that much of a sacrifice
Adding in white also gives you some fun options such as Dusk to Dawn and In Oketra's Name,
>>
>>54624019

Hey on Spellweaver, "Prowess (Whenever you cast a noncreature spell, this creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn.)" So that entails a +1/+1 for EVERY noncreature spell casted hey? Not quite as bad as I thought, I guess. Still not a great card though. Because of that, i'm starting to get skeptical if this afflict strat will work. I only have 3 afflicting creatures in there. At the moment, dropping spellweaver would make it 2. Red has a lot of nice afflict stuff, but I really want to see what the scarab god is capable of... Maybe i'll mock up an RBU version -- but picking lands is already complicated enough lol.
>>
>>54621892
Is torrential gearhulk basically dead? With monored being half the meta and maindecking 4 abrades is it even worth putting in control decks?
As far as beating red goes, 4x kozi return in a ramp or emerge shell might do the trick. Esp. With jaddi offshoot in the side
>>
>>54624346
Gearhulk isn't completely dead, instead of being a clear cut 4 of he is now a 2/3 of with maybe Locust God to complement it

>As far as beating red goes, 4x kozi return in a ramp or emerge shell might do the trick.
Could work, emerge didn't do well in the PT but it wasn't fine tuned.
I think our best bet is still to play a solid deck with good matchups all around, BG is looking the best so far
>>
>>54624148

>Dagger of the worthy is utter trash

Yeah I see that. Just too expensive for what it does. It might be acceptable once I have 5/5 zombers out (I should also have a safe LOTA by this point-- if not it'd probably be the first or second thing I scarab god) but the problem is making it to that point.

Yeah spellweaver is just shit. Afflict 2 is not enough.. Again if I get the scarab god out this might not be bad to eternalize, but will spellweaver get me to that stage? probably not

Eternal of Harsh Truths has a nice effect though, drawing cards is good. I think. Or will it already be too late game for drawing cards to matter. I guess what would I be drawing for? Only the scarab god. Meaning I wouldn't have a scarab god. Meaning he'd be 2/1, and get blocked anyway..

I don't know enough about white to start brewing a deck yet. But i'll go back to the drawing board for now, ty.
>>
>Westvale abbey popular at my LGS
>I'm packing 4 unsummons
Devilish
>>
>>54625062
>Unsummons
Good. You haven't fallen for the Select for Inspection trap

I don't know your meta but I'd be surprised if you actually need all 4 copies, 3 of should be good enough with the 4th in the side
>>
>>54625252
Unsummons is good in general for me because I'm running UR enigma drake deck. Getting rid of blockers is crucial.
>>
File: throne of the god pharaoh.png (160KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
throne of the god pharaoh.png
160KB, 265x370px
*blocks your authority of the consuls*
>>
>>54625062
>4 unsummons
is this some kind of temur memer deck or what?
Thread posts: 337
Thread images: 48

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.