[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>"You're not allowed to do that.." >"THE

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 278
Thread images: 37

File: 1426636883199.jpg (357KB, 650x919px) Image search: [Google]
1426636883199.jpg
357KB, 650x919px
>"You're not allowed to do that.."
>"THE HOGFATHER CAN. THE HOGFATHER GIVES PRESENTS. THERE'S NO BETTER PRESENT THAN A FUTURE."

;_;
>>
>>54571292

Who?
>>
>>54571292
If Discworld were written today Pratchett would be derided as a SJW hack on this website.
>>
>>54571292
Some overrated writer with an annoying fanbase.
>>
>>54571413
Sadly true. Pratchett is a really good example of how to work a political message into a work, make it clear but also have it make sense to be said in universe, have elements which aren't reliant on the message, and above all else make the work really good.
>>
>>54571413
He is.
>>
File: 1498283698699.jpg (61KB, 313x382px) Image search: [Google]
1498283698699.jpg
61KB, 313x382px
>>54571461
>Bait.jpg

Low resolution.
>>
>>54571452
>>>/reddit/
>>
File: 00005.png (3MB, 1061x1080px)
00005.png
3MB, 1061x1080px
>>
File: Ankh-Morpork.jpg (6MB, 4244x4344px)
Ankh-Morpork.jpg
6MB, 4244x4344px
>>
>>54571508
Been here since 2003, friend.
>>
>>54571413
He was becoming clumsy and unsubtle as he became embittered and illness took more and more out of him. The way he handled characters also got progressively worse. Last few books hurt to read in more ways than one.
>>
>>54571583
I thought Shepard's Crown was okay, but Snuff and Raising Steam were definitely painful

But there's like 40-odd others that range from merely alright to amazing, you can't exactly begrudge him for the last few being off, especially being terminally ill
>>
>>54571615
No, but I'm not fond of blind veneration either. He should have quit in dignity when his writing began to suffer, instead he went out with a whimper immortalized in print.
>>
>>54571709
I've heard it recommended for Alzheimers sufferers to keep doing familiar tasks, so he likely kept writing at least partially for his health. And he doesn't seem the kind to not release a completed work.
>>
>>54571709
That wasn't blind veneration, you cock. >>54571762 is right, familiarity and repetition help Alzhimer's patients from turning into drooling blanks in their last days. Pumping out some bad books is a lesser evil than being a writer who dies half-retarded and useless, their gifts robbed from them
>>
>>54571457
> Pratchett is a really good example of how to work a political message into a work

Not really, no. He was on his way to becoming good at it with the last couple of books though, I will conceed as much.
Shame about the Alzheimers.
>>
>>54571457
I remember reading Feet of Clay and somehow making it to the last page before realizing that it was actually a story about the suffering and liberation of an oppressed people. One of my strongest literary impressions ever.
>>
>>54571952
What? It was exactly the opposite.
>>
>>54571413
Nope. Maybe some of his later books but most of it isn't.
>>
>>54572012
>Last page.

You're pretty dense, aren't you?
>>
>>54572108

Why so salty?
>>
>>54572117
>I'm not so stupid, I couldn't tell the book was about oppression until the last page where it's spelt out for me, the other guy is salty because... he said bad thing to me!

How could you not tell what the theme of the book was as you were reading it?
>>
>>54571906
I admit that post made me look like a cock.
>>
>>54571574
No, you haven't, newfag
>>
>>54572242

I'm not him. I just wanted to know why you were so salty today. Go have a nice bath with candles or something to relax.
>>
>>54572279
Given the book they are talking about did you just tell him to kys?
>>
>>54572279
I heart salt baths are good for the skin.
>>
File: DeathAndPratchett.png (237KB, 989x2197px) Image search: [Google]
DeathAndPratchett.png
237KB, 989x2197px
I'm not crying. You're crying
>>
>>54572279
Do candle baths actually help people to relax? I've been trying to destress lately, and it really more seems a romantic than rather than a therapeutic deal.
>>
>>54572369
Scented candles do, if you like scented candles.
>>
File: 1459189372568.png (32KB, 1237x677px)
1459189372568.png
32KB, 1237x677px
reminder
>>
>>54572108
Well in my defense I was a teen. I sort of understood that the golems being oppressed was an underlying theme, but it didn't really hit until until Vimes' line about how people in power always react when those who are voiceless finally find their voice. That's when I went "Holy shit this can be applied to any real world such real world situation.."
>>
>>54571292
What a fantastic fellow. Loved his stuff.
>>
>>54571377
People have been banned for less.
>>
File: kotblini.jpg (38KB, 604x550px)
kotblini.jpg
38KB, 604x550px
>>54571413
>SJW hack

Um, what part of buggerit being a bad word dont you understand?
>>
>>54571906
>tfw becoming a drooling blank is my biggest fear
>tfw stuff like Alzheimers in the family
Fuck, give me a quick, clean death over a slow decline any day.
>>
>>54571615
I just finished reading Snuff the other day, can confirm.
It was entertaining in places, but the shift in tone was palpable, and I caught myself rolling my eyes a few times, something I'd never done in the fifteen odd other Discworld books I read.

I long for the days of Mort.
>>
>>54572662
Same. And it's the nasty early onset variant too.

I lived in denial for the longest time, but the odds are good I'm going to start losing my mind around age forty. So now I live like I have a gun to my head, because in a way, I do. Gotta get all that bucket list shit done way ahead of schedule.
>>
>>54572366
Fuuuuuck.
>>
>>54572713
Best of luck, Anon, sincerely.
>>
Fuck, I remember tearing up when I heard that people were embedding GNU TERRY PRATCHETT into website htmls and headers
>>
>>54572662
>>54572713
I heard they've made great strides in research and care lately.
>>
>>54572770
Thanks.

>>54572863
So have I, but it's all still long from being implemented... if I'm lucky it'll be ready by the time I have to start really worrying. Here's hoping.
>>
>>54572850
I've only read like 4 or 5 of his books, is that supposed to mean something?
>>
Was someone calling him overrated for not having every single one of his books be a smash hit?

Unrelated, I don't have any handy images for pants-on-head-retarded.
>>
>>54572941
Yes. In one of the books, it is said that people aren't gone until you stop saying their names, so the semaphore tower operators keep redirecting the name of an important character around the network to keep the memory alive. embedding GNU TERRY PRATCHET into the code is a modern take on it. Read The Smoking Gnu, I believe the book is called
>>
>>54573143
Wasn't that book Going Postal? The Smoking Gnu is definitely something that turns up in the book, though.
>>
>>54573311
Maybe? I can't remember, its been several years since I read the book. You're probably correct.
>>
>>54571413
>Be generous, Sir Samuel. Truly treat all men equally. Allow Klatchians the right to be scheming bastards.
Does that sound like SJW shit to you?
That's practically the antithesis of their entire creed.
>>
>>54573010
>that time he put a negative review at the start of one of his books because it was so hilariously retarded
>>
File: 36oosV5.jpg (85KB, 1500x1000px)
36oosV5.jpg
85KB, 1500x1000px
>>
>>54572689
I think Albrecht's shift in character was one of the most obvious examples of his changing style.
It's sad, because he was a great character that defied the idea that any person who opposes the main character's views, and by proxy the audience's views, is a bad guy by default.

I suppose I can't really begrudge a dying man for being unsubtle with what little time he had left.
>>
>>54574533
He didn't have changing views, his brain was literally shrinking. It was obvious even in Unseen Academicals in 2009. I understand why it was important for him to keeping writing and even why people would publish it, but the books should basically be ignored when trying to understand who he was pre-decline
>>
>>54572366

You're right. I'm crying. Goddamnit.

Here's to Sir Terry, who taught me that all things strive, that right and good aren't always the same thing, that people buy the sizzle and not the sausage, that personal isn't the same as important, and that people need to believe in things that aren't - for how else can they become?
>>
>>54571583
You could still see the gold in "Raising Steam"
It ended on a melancholy note
>>
>>54572366
Fuck you, I'm sobbing as much as when I read the last three tweets
>AT LAST, SIR TERRY, WE MUST WALK TOGETHER.
>>
I am scared to read crown of spring guys.

If I read it it will all be over.

I don't think i will read that book
>>
>>54572087
Moving Pictures was boring, Anon and Soul Music was kinda shite as well. Those were like his first attempts at making light of some sort of real institution rather than his usual more general sort of parody. Going Postal though was pretty decent already. It was an actual funny book about the postal service, which is a remarkable achievement.
>>
>>54572369

They help me. I just put on some calm music, light some candles, then submerge with just my face out of the surface. Lets you just "feel" your surroundings.
>>
>>54572369
Really hot baths are kinda nice, mostly because they knock you the fuck out.
>>
>>54573678
>"Just because someone's a member of an ethnic minority doesn't mean they're not a nasty small-minded little jerk."
This was always my favourite Vimes line.
>>
>>54575191
Moving Pictures and Soul Music were awesome.
>>
>>54574786
I actually have a soft spot for Raising Steam, desu
>>
>>54571292
>What can the harvest hope for, if not for the care of the Reaper Man?
God that line always gets me.
In fact, Reaper Man in general is amazing
>But Bill Door was already rising and unfolding like the wrath of kings. He reached behind him, growling, living on loaned time, and his hands closed around the harvest scythe. The crowned Death saw it coming and raised its own weapon but there was very possibly nothing in the world that would stop the worn blade as it snarled through the air, rage and vengeance giving it an edge beyond any definition of sharpness. It passed through the metal without slowing. No crown, said Bill Door, looking directly into the smoke. No crown. Only the harvest.
>>
>>54571615
I feel Shepards Crown is half-finished.
You can honestly feel he was going somewhere with it and then it was cut short with his death and hastily finished by someone else.
>>
>>54571413
>>54571457
Except Pratchett was basically the opposite of an SJW. He was very libertarian in his writings, and while he favored a mildly progressive morality he never demonized the "regressives" like SJWs do, but made the case that different strokes are for different folks.
>>
>>54573678

It does sound like a lot of what gets often called SJW shit in this site, yes.

(In case it's not obvious, I'm implying that the average person in here wouldn't know what an actual SJW looks like if she flopped her sidecut in his face).
>>
>That moment when Carrot and the Guards find Vimes at his lowest, having slipped back into the bottle and find out what kind of man he really is
Vimes is straight up the best character.
>>
>>54575402
My nigga
>>
>>54575510
My absolute favourite Vimes lines is from Night Watch
>He wanted to go home. He wanted it so much that he trembled at the thought. But if the price of that was selling good men to the night, if the price was filling those graves, if the price was not fighting with every trick he knew....Then it was too high.
>>
>>54571583
Weren't his last few books ghostwritten? I thought that his daughter helped him on the last couple.

>>54571615
Snuff was bad. Even Eric was more enjoyable than that.
>>
>>54575566
God I love that line.
That and
>How dare you? How dare you! At this time! In this place! They did the job they didn't have to do, and they died doing it, and you can't give them anything. Do you understand?
My personal favorite though is
>Vimes: Then it's something we're not seeing, damn it! People are dead, Captain! Mrs. Easy's dead!
>Carrot: Who, sir?
>Vimes: You've never heard of her?
>Carrot: Can't say that I have, sir. What did she use to do?
>Vimes: Do? Nothing, I suppose. She just brought up nine kids in a couple of rooms you couldn't stretch out in and she sewed shirts for a tuppence an hour, every hour the bloody gods sent, and all she did was work and keep to herself and she is dead, Captain. And so's her grandson. Aged fourteen months. Because her granddaughter took them some grub from the palace! A bit of a treat for them! And d'you know what? Mildred thought I was going to arrest her for theft! At the damn funeral, for gods' sake! It's murder now. Not assassination, not politics, it's murder.
That is THE Vimes moment for me, when you see why he became a Watchman in the first place.
>>
>>54572366
Holy shit I'm only passingly aware of Pratchett and his works but this fucking devastated me

Full on ugly crying there for a few seconds
>>
>>54575628
>Snuff was bad
It could have been better but it did have some fucking amazing moments
Vetinari getting a 'This is bullshit and I'm impressed' moment at the end was great and if you think about it was actually a pretty fantastic call back to the Fifth Elephant
>I carry with me the Truth, which is more valuable than any gold
>To deny us passage would be undwarven Sir.
>>
>>54571413
Night Watch was pretty pro-gun tbqh.

>There had been that Weapons Law, for a start. Weapons were involved in so many crimes that. Swing reasoned, reducing the number of weapons had to reduce the crime rate. Vimes wondered if he’d sat up in bed in the middle of the night and hugged himself when he’d dreamed that one up. Confiscate all weapons, and crime would go down. It made sense. It would have worked, too, if only there had been enough coppers – say, three per citizen. Amazingly, quite a few weapons were handed in. The flaw though, was one that had somehow managed to escape Swing’ and it was this: criminals don’t obey the law. It’s more or less a requirement for the job. They had no particular interest in making the streets safer for anyone except themselves

That kind of reasoning would not go over well with todays SJWs.
>>
>>54575507
Most of the people who had first-hand experience of SJWs were forced to migrate after GG.
>>
>>54575726
Such a simple answer yet applies so strongly in real life. Anyone I meet who is anti-gun I actually tell that exact reasoning to and they rarely, if ever, find a good comeback.

All anti-gun laws do is fuck over the law-abiding citizen and their capacity to protect themselves. If someone wants to commit a gun crime, they will find a gun.
>>
>>54575726
The weapons mentioned are axes, knives, clubs and other common household items.
>>
>>54575794
Or keep the gun they already have when it comes time to turn them in.
>>
>>54575794
In America maybe. Not so easy in other parts of the world. Also a person who owns a gun is more likely to use it on a family member or themselves than fighting off a stranger.
>>
>>54575818
>The weapons mentioned are axes, knives, clubs and other common household items
Your point being?

>>54575876
Swedefag here, could get an illegal gun within 48 hours should I need one.
Gun control is the same here as over there, not controlling crime but controlling the people.
>>
>>54575794
>>54575876
Oh, don't start THAT argument in THIS thread. Go to /pol/ if you want to argue about guncontrol.
>>
>>54575940
>>
>>54575931

Eh. I'm quite happy to live in a country where gun crimes are such a miniscule part of annual deaths that every time someone gets shot it's a first page of the newspaper story, thank you.
>>
File: sad.png (34KB, 262x306px)
sad.png
34KB, 262x306px
>>54571292
>tfw I love Terry Pratchett but never got the chance to read all of his works.

It hurts man, it hurts so much.
>>
>>54575995

Trading the normalization of a man being shot to death for the normalization of a man being stabbed to death is not a victory.

I digress however.

>>54575093

You shouldn't fear the end. I have on very good authority that he's very kind.
>>
>>54576065
You can get them as ebooks. Check /lit/; someone probably as an archive of stuff.
>>
>Death: I lose. All I have is four ones.
Death is the best husbando.
>>
>>54576065
It's common that art outlasts the artist. That is, if the artist was any good.
>>
File: catthumb.jpg (47KB, 460x444px)
catthumb.jpg
47KB, 460x444px
>>54576065
Buy them on audio book.

My dad got me into them when we used to go on long drives. We used to listen to them on the tape player. This wasnt even that long ago.
>>
>>54572366
Fuck you.

Fuck you fuck you fuck you.
>>
>>54575931
>could get an illegal gun within 48 hours should I need one.

Which is plenty of time for you to sober up, calm down, and realize that you don't really want to shoot the fucker/yourself.

It may not stop a properly planned and premeditated deal, but a very large chunk of lethal violence is a spur of the moment deal.
>>
>>54576176
It's a real pity that Tony Robinson didn't do the unabridged versions, he's easily the best but I can't stand abridged books when I know what's missing.
Nigel Planer does a great Rincewind, but has a bit of samevoice in other areas, and Steven briggs is decent enough but simply can't emote properly
>>
>>54572713
>live like I have a gun to my head
I have a shotgun with a shell with my name on it for when my mind starts to go. It will be by my own Will that I end, where I choose and not in for some godforsaken home or hospital infirm and forgetful.
>>
How do I get into Discworld? I know nothing about it because I'm a dirty faggot.
>>
>>54576433
Gramps had this kind of a plan. Fell couple stair and broke some bones, spent over a month in the bed, it kicked in while he was down, I guess the passivity make him start slipping. By the time he could walk again, he didn't remember the place has a cellar, much less what he had prepared in there.
>>
>>54576243
If I snap and promptly need my neighbor dead, a knife will kill equally well.
I live in a part of Sweden where next to every single household have guns and gun crime is unheard of.
Meanwhile in the big cities where legal guns are extremely rare, gun crime is almost a bi-weekly occurrence. Meanwhile, the man in blue is busy dreaming up new laws to limit the guns up here where I live, both in numbers and capacity. This they claim is to reduce gun crime down in the cities or so they claim.
>>
>>54576494
Skip the first two books until you've read a few. Go in publishing order after that.
>>
>>54576494
Gaurds! Gaurds! and Mort are often recommended, and are the 'beginning' of the Death and City Watch stories.
However most of the books that aren't towards the very beginning or end work fine.
I got into it from Hogfather and Masquerade, so I don't think reading order is particularly important.
>>
>>54575345
Raising Steam kind of felt like a series finale. All the characters come back for one final cameo, it was more a goodbye than a novel.
>>
>>54575715
The issue I had was that goblins quickly were established to be good at everything, which kind of went against the theme of Pratchett having every race being neither good or bad, just people.
Except elves because fuck elves.
>>
>>54576828
Didn't Shephard's crown establish that elves are a product of their environment as well, and that the only reason they're all giggly evil cunts is because that was their society?
>>
>>54571508
I'm not trying to offense anyone, but I'd bet most people on reddit like the works of Pratchett.
Most people who read them liked them.
>>
Oh crist tg/ i can't deal with this level of hope.
>>
>>54576884
Hard to say, the queen is shown empathy and redeems herself, but in Pratchett's universe a train can be a god, so it can go either way.
>>
>>54574780
Now I'm crying.
>>
>>54575566
Not
> History wanted these men, did it? Well it would have to think of something good, because it was up against Sam Vimes now.
>>
>>54577065
>but in Pratchett's universe a train can be a god,
Not just a god, but an elder/lovecraftian god, from how I read it.
>>
>Pratchett dead
>Banks dead
>Rowling still alive

no justice in the world.
>>
>>54577287
There's nothing wrong with Rowling. No need to wish her dead.
>>
File: Data.jpg (19KB, 280x400px)
Data.jpg
19KB, 280x400px
>>54577297
>There's nothing wrong with Rowling.
>>
>>54577297
No!
>>
>>54575726
Though in Men at Arms there's an actual gun, and it was so dangerous that only Carrot was able to handle it (Vimes was close, but he knew he had to give it to Carrot before it took him over with all the "good" he could do with it), and he disposed of it in a Watchman's grave.
>>
>>54577287
GCU Just Us Bringer is on the job
>>
>>54577402
T U B E S
>>
>>54571413
>>54571457
This >>54575497
Did you even read his work properly? He defended all sides politically and morally within reason.
>>
>>54577323
Are you begrudging her success, or do you actually have an issue with her?
>>
>>54577473
But don't you know, the world is separated into 2 factions - SJWs and anti-SJWs. If you're not one, you're the other. And these totally exist in real life and not only in online shut-in communities and college campuses
>>
>>54577379
The reason the Gonne is so dangerous is because it's one of a kind and self-aware.
And it's external power. It's the ability to kill without earning it, just point and pull.
It's Zeus Lightning and the ability to clean up the world one bullethole at a time with your own two hands, ect, ect.
So a bit beyond just a normal gun.

>>54577515
>implying college campuses don't leak into the real world
Are we just ignoring the fact that the vast majority of scientific papers come from colleges now?
>>
>>54577564
the vast majority of scientific papers aren't written by Gender studies students. And scientific papers matter jackshit to 99% of the population - if you're not in academia or a student of a related field, you have probably never read an actual scientific paper.

You need to go out into the world and actually witness and talk to an average person. Most just want to make enough money to support themselves at the end of the day, and maybe their family if they got one. Culture war is for basement nerds.
>>
>>54577627
>Culture war is for basement nerds.

That and ISIS.
>>
>>54577564
True, though I still don't think it's fair to say he was pro-gun.
If anything he was pro not-being-stupid, and most outright bans are pretty damn stupid.
>>
>>54577627
Culture War is the underlying war that has been going on since the dawn of mankind.
The weapons change, the war remains the same.

You want to know how this effects people?
>College writes paper claiming that X is a result of micro aggressions in some indirect and vague way
>Media picks it up, X is caused by sexism
>Politicians see a chance to get easy points
>Throw money at it and declare victory
>Public goes 'well if they're making policy on it, it must be right'
>College says 'Oh by the way, Z is also sexist'
Or are you going to pretend manspreading isn't fucking retarded?

>>54577709
Oh totally, he wasn't Gonnes, Jesus and Aunt Jeremiahs Black Tar Puddin', he was pro working man.
And the working man kind of needs to be able to protect himself.

The best description I ever heard of Terry was that he was magnificently angry man who took it out through paper.
>>
>>54577627
Actually there's some recognised concern in scientific fields due to how ideologies are influencing results and publishing practices.
>>
>>54575995
That was the UK before gun control tho.

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm199900/cmselect/cmhaff/95/95ap25.htm?utm_source=supporter_message&utm_medium=email
>>
>>54577766
I haven't heard "manspreading" IRL once and I take the subway daily, where people spread their legs as much as they want and leave bags on seats all the time.
>>
>>54577837
http://metro.co.uk/2015/05/30/two-men-have-actually-been-arrested-manspreading-5221994/
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/the-first-arrest-has-been-made-for-manspreading-10285011.html
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/thinking-man/11643052/Manspreading-arrests-the-long-arm-of-the-law-just-invaded-our-personal-space.html
https://www.chicksontheright.com/manspreading-now-illegal-madrid/
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/06/09/manspreading-public-bus-signs-tell-men-keep-legs-together/383735001/
Yeah, it's retarded, but you know what they say
>First they came for the men with huge nuts, and I did not speak out-
Illegal in Madrid mate.
A term which wasn't used until what, less than 2 years ago?
>>
>>54577793
The most fucked up thing I've heard of is that the whole PC SJW tumblrina culture is putting women's lives at risk. A woman's brain and a man's brain are fundamentally different enough that a doctor/scientist can identify the physical sex of a person with JUST the brain. Like at a crime scene or something. Same way you can with JUST the hips.

But the PC culture refuses to acknowledge that. And scream "SEXISM" whenever scientists point it out the differences. Because these idiots seem to think that different = inferior.

This is particularly bad in the medical field. Medication affects women differently than men. What works for men doesn't always work for women, and what works for women doesn't always work for men. Like when treating alzheimer's.

So whenever scientists and doctors try to take this information into account when writing articles or trying to develop medicine they are shouted down. Instead they focus on treating male patients, and then when they find something that works, they automatically use it on female patients, without doing any further tests to see if it is even safe for women, let alone has any significant improvement on their health.

Not only does this leave women behind when it comes to medicine. But it also actively puts their life at risk.
>>
>>54577962
>shitcunts who take up multiple seats getting put in their place

Terrible.
>>
>>54577962
That's kind of a weird one - in at least one of those (one at 12am) it's clearly some asshole cops looking for something to pin on a guy (he was, incidentally, Latino), and the judge found as much - it reeks of the petty busybody who joins the police just for the power that's found all over the political scale.

Though taking up multiple seats is against the code of conduct for the ride
>>
File: 152869359.jpg (808KB, 1024x697px)
152869359.jpg
808KB, 1024x697px
>>54578134
Counterpoint
How many times you seen women with bags on their seats?
There's a reason men tend to sit with their legs apart.
I'm assuming you're a man.
Take your legs, right now and do pic related.
Knee to knee, nice and tight.
Feel that aching pain as you reinact the nutcracker on a personal scale?
That's the reason men spread their legs slightly when sitting and thus take up more space.
Dickhead.

It's a law on an entirely subjective non-issue.
>>
>>54578290
I'm a grill and even I don't sit like that. I "manspread" all over the fucking place.

People forget that ladybits (like the clitoris) have just as many nerve endings down there as their male counterparts. Mentally envision taking two pieces of two by fours. Then place those tow by fours on the left and right side of your dick head. Now use your thighs to squeeze those two by fours as close together with your dickhead inside of them as possible. That's what sitting "properly" feels like when you have a clit and labia. ESPECIALLY if you're not horny at the moment, meaning your cooch is as dry as the Sahara desert.

Believing that only men "manspread" and expecting women to be perfectly comfortable sitting like that is the true sexist bullshit straight out of the Victorian era.
>>
>>54572433

FUCK.

that hurt.
>>
>>54576494
I have read Small Gods first, then proceeded to read everything he wrote.
>>
Find a flaw.
>>
>>54579887
>I'm a grill

Mmmmm, grilled burgers...
>>
Oh wow, all these posts, and yet the mods only remove a few of them.
>>
>>54575794
I've seen arguments about how letting people walk around with guns reduces violent crime. I've seen arguments about how it would increase it.

Only once* have I seen someone attempt to analyse the statistics to try and get an evidence based answer. Their conclusion: The difference was less than the margin of error. Meaning no difference.

*I've seen lots of people who say country x has a crime rate of x, country y has different gun laws and a rate of y. Completely ignoring everything else that affects the crime rate, making their conclusion worthless.
>>
>>54577379
I always thought the Gonne was Terry Pratchett making fun of the idea that guns make people into killers by having a gun that literally took control over your mind.
>>
>>54582712
Ut's not a German-style Advent Calendar with little pieces of chocolate hiding under 24 different small lids. Pretty damning flaw.
>>
>>54571413
>Sir Terry hated the SJW before they were the SJW

"Veil, zat is good news!" said Mrs Winkings, leaning back.

Vimes wanted to shake her and shout: You"re not a vampire, Doreen! You"re married to one, yes, but he didn"t become one until a time when it is beyond human imagining that he could possibly have wanted to bite you! All the real Black Ribboners try to act normal and unobtrusive! No flowing cloaks, no sucking and definitely no ripping the underwired nightdresses off young ladies! Everyone knows John Not-A-Vampire-At-All Smith used to be Count Vargo St Gruet von Vilinus! But now he smokes a pipe and wears those horrible sweaters and he collects bananas and makes models of human organs out of matchsticks because he thinks hobbies make you more human! But you, Doreen? You were born in Cockbill Street! Your mum was a washerwoman! No one would ever rip your nightdress off, not without a crane! But you"re so ....nto this, right? It"s a damn hobby. You try to look more like vampires than vampires do! Incidentally, those fake pointy teeth rattle when you talk!
>>
>>54583505
>vampire SJWs

Please tell me things ended badly for them.
>>
>>54582779
Reminder that Not Loving Pratchett is a Bannable Offense
>>
>>54583560
iirc, no.

Not that she is an important character though, Just Pratchet throwing some shade on people who deserve it
>>
>>54583664
But what if Asian Moot doesn't even know who Pratchett is?
>>
File: Lemmy-Whiskey.jpg (29KB, 630x468px)
Lemmy-Whiskey.jpg
29KB, 630x468px
>>54572713
Alzheimer's can't get you if liver failure gets you first.
>>
>>54583737
>Born to lose, lived to win
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjkzbCkZEuQ
>>
>>54577474
The Main issue is that she changes her story to virtue signal. Shes overly political in the most annoyingly authoritarian left way, and uses her twitter to lecture people on why the British are racist/sexist/islamophobes for not wanting hundreds of thousands of illegal immigrants into the country.
>>
>>54584377
That's pretty funny though, because it's hilariously obvious she doesn't think at all before posting.
Like the time she accidentally implied that prior to the 18th century, children would shit themselves and have the teachers or their parents clean it up
>>
>>54571292
Discworld is bad. Only a few good things. It's xD random.
>>
>>54584485
>Discworld is bad.
I hope you get banned.
>>
>>54584507
Wouldn't be the first time lol.
>>
>>54584457
>>
File: screewee.jpg (298KB, 1221x1104px)
screewee.jpg
298KB, 1221x1104px
>WE SURRENDER
>>
File: 14764074674.jpg (53KB, 900x506px) Image search: [Google]
14764074674.jpg
53KB, 900x506px
Ankh-Morpork Watch police procedural TV series when? WHEN?!?!
>>
>>54584632
Still in development hell. One was announced years ago by the BBC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Watch_(TV_series)
>>
>>54584543
Jesus fucking Christ, how fucking lazy of a hack writer do you have to be to not at least have your characters use a god damn chamber pot.

Does this bitch even know what an outhouse is?!
>>
File: Thud!mudfight.jpg (195KB, 825x600px)
Thud!mudfight.jpg
195KB, 825x600px
>>54584632
When indeed.
>>
>>54576147
>Check /lit/; someone probably as an archive of stuff.
Newsflash, /lit/ is a festering hive of cancer who celebrated Terry being dead.
>>
File: 1390621481591.png (312KB, 384x393px)
1390621481591.png
312KB, 384x393px
>>54584677
>be a muggleborn in the early renaissance
>meet a real life wizard
>get told that I have powers beyond what I thought was even possible
>I'll be joining a secret world where anything can happen
>turn up to the new school
>there's a giant fucking squid in the lake
>the portraits and armour are moving
>Jesus Christ, more food then I've ever seen in a lifetime just appeared out of nowhere, and I get to eat as much as I want
>meet my new dorm mates
>they're telling me all about this new world
>can't wait to see an actual dragon
>or fly on a broom
>just about to ask where the toilet is
>suddenly one of them casually squats down and unleashes an unholy tide of shit all over the beautiful carpet
>suddenly a teacher turns up, points his wand at it and says "faeces deleces"
>lock eyes with another muggleborn
>mfw
>>
File: discworld.jpg (2MB, 2000x3589px)
discworld.jpg
2MB, 2000x3589px
>>54576494
Here's a little guide.
As others have said, there's no strict reading order, but it does help to start at the beginning of each series just to have proper context.
>>
>>54583229
Anon, this is Anhk-Morpork we're talking about.

Calling it chocolate would be generous.
>>
>>54584683
Lewd.
>>
File: 1489838735789.gif (84KB, 430x319px)
1489838735789.gif
84KB, 430x319px
>>54584709
>almost every Discworld thread since i've been on /tg/ would have some variant of this image
>someone would almost always post an outdated one, prompting a new one to be made, or calls for an update
>tfw it will never be updated again
>>
>>54584683
Oh I say.

Didn't Sally say the only thing they needed for their naked mudfight was a paying audience?
>>
>>54584632
>>54584671
As long as they get Nobby right.
I did overall enjoy the Hogfather movie, but Nobby was just a total fucking disappointment.
>>
>>54584729
That one was last updated over 4 years ago.
I may well not be the last. Yet
>>
File: 1272990124492.jpg (169KB, 800x939px)
1272990124492.jpg
169KB, 800x939px
>>54584730
Yep.
>>
>>54584683
Sally best girl.
>>
>>54584736
Going Postal is still my favourite of the movies, I think they got the casting pretty spot on. Charles Dance as Vetinari is fucking spot on, exactly how I always imagined him.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMinUMCdc0g

Funny thing was watching him in Game of Thrones, because of the similarities in the characters, I couldn't stop seeing him as Vetinari.
>>
>>54584785
Haven't seen that one.
May as well post one of my favorite exchanges from all Prachett's novels. Which I'm glad the Hogfather movie did justice to.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBnENlXt-H4
>>
>>54584785
Going Postal was nice, but I was a bit disappointed that they made Dearheart too emotional.
>>
>>54584736
Yeah, you're not going to achieve the level of ugly that would require the individual to carry around a certificate of proof of humanity without prosphetic makeup.
>>
>>54576494
I read them in release order and it worked well, although the style and setting aren't really fully shaped yet in the few first ones.
>>
>>54584632
Shit, I would kill a man for that.
>>
>>54583505
>>54583560
This is so generic that it could cover anyone from wiggers, to Wahabitist cosplayers to people who think they MUST wear coon hats in order to save white America, really.
>>
>>54571292
I know a guy who knows a guy who came downstairs in the morning to find Pratchett eating pancakes with his mum. Apparently he was like a neighbor or acquaintance. True Story.
>>
File: hyancinth_bucket.jpg (75KB, 620x897px)
hyancinth_bucket.jpg
75KB, 620x897px
>>54583505
>>54583560
>Implying that's got anything to do with SJWs

Not everything is about politics.
>>
>>54584910
>Eating pancakes
>In the morning
>In England

fake
>>
>>54585041
Could have been Shrove Tuesday
>>
>>54571574
why didnt u attach some sort of proof you shitter
>>
>>54584803
I want to fuck Death. So hard.
>>
>>54585029
It took me years to realise this was a character that Dead Ringers didn't just make up
>>
>>54584803
>that feel when we stopped believing and our sun never rose again
>instead we just got a giant ball of flame, in which our world rotates around as a giant ball of dirt
>>
>>54585211
As a "staunch materialist" ya'll lack an appreciation of nature and a sense of whimsy.
>>
>>54585155
WELL YOU'RE ONLY HUMAN
>>
Seriously though, how come there aren't more big budget Pratchett film adaptations? There are tonnes of his fans all over the world, as long as they would be well done they would be a guaranteed financial success.
>>
>>54585324
Isn't he pretty niche outside of the UK/Europe?
>>
>>54575726
The main point of that paragraph was to illustrate that Swing is the kind of person who'll think up a "solution" without giving a single thought to local conditions. His way of implementing a weapons ban was doomed to fail because Ankh-Morpork is a crime-infested shithole.

I mean, I'm quite happy with the gun restrictions in Norway, but I know better than to believe that they'd work in the US.
>>
>>54585324
Basically it was fight between BBC and Pratchett, as he felt the people in charge didn't really get his books and tried to make chances that would have made them almost unrecognisible to any fans that would see them.
>>
>>54585324

There's a TV adaptation in the works. Kind of.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Watch_(TV_series)

Shooting should be ongoing now, but I don't think it is, not that I've heard owt.
>>
>>54571292
I don't really get the praised humour of Discworld. It seems to consist entirely of >puns
>everyone is Down's Syndrome levels of dumb
It gets unbearably grating after a few chapters. I've never been able to finish any of his books.
>>
>>54585324
>as long as they would be well done they would be a guaranteed financial success.
>as long as they would be well done
Now there's the problem, anon.
The people with big budgets aren't interested in having to work hard for their money, outside a few people.
>>
>>54585041
He was in Australia, I think.
>>
File: giphy[1].gif (8MB, 503x319px)
giphy[1].gif
8MB, 503x319px
>>54572366
> YOU HAVE GIVEN ALL YOU CAN SIR.
> "No, not cancer. Alzheimers."
>>
>>54584632
>>54584671

I honestly wonder if this is even still happening. I was hype as fuck for it but haven't heard anything about it in ages
>>
>>54584706
someone cap this and the previous post for context.
>>
>>54585388

Yeah, gun control to restrict access to guns is useful when not everyone and their mum already HAS a gun. Problem comes when they already do, as well as a culture that practically reveres the gun. When you have that, just banning guns doesn't seem like it'd do much of anything.

Like, here in Spain, guns are very regulated, but hunting rifles are not uncommon in the slightest, my own dad has one (if my memory serves, there's a gun per 15 people give or take, and something like 80% of those are various kinds of hunting rifles). But nobody ever said that having a hunting rifle is their God-given right or a necessary means of self-defense or any shit of that stripe.
>>
>>54579887
>I'm a girl

No one gives a shit.

Tits or gtfo.
>>
>>54584711
Get a load of this Quirmian
>>
>>54586025
>>>/r9k/
>>
>>54578134
>being too much of a fucking autist to just ask someone to move
>>
>>54584457
She thinks that the EU is the font of all good things and that we had no rights or freedoms before joining it. Just EVIL TORIES MAKING CHILDREN WORK IN ASBESTOS MINES.
>>
>>54585964
That's because you don't come from a culture and legal system developed by Common Law and English Radicalism. In Britain, up until the 1920s, it was your right to own a firearm. Absolutely yours; and it was still considered a right up until the 1960s, although it slowly became more and more qualified after that.
>>
>>54577564
>We should distrust academic scientific research because politics.

Kill yourself, you bucktoothed shitstain. STEM fields are not dialectic, and any experimental results must first be thoroughly vetted before being accepted as scientific fact.

>b-but liberal professors and women's studies!

Neither of those things are given free reign to invent facts in scientific literature.
>>
>>54585336
The main issue seems to be that Hollywood don't read.
>>
>>54588484
Get fucked
My country is dealing with bullshit like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmyXaXo633M
This because people don't question the fact that 'scientific' papers can be manipulated by those that don't have good, honest intentions and who are more dedicated to Social Justice than the truth.
>>
>>54588754
>BBC

Anon, BBC also has issues with pedophiles and necrophiles. That they're hiring orientals and south indie fellas seems kinda irrelevant in comparison to raping children and desecrating the dead.
>>
>>54583162
There's more than one intended message, that's why Pratchett is considered such a good writer. Two people can read the same paragraph and come up with four intended messages contained within, all depending on the readers bias and the surrounding context.

This was intentional. It was Pratchetts way of pointing out to the reader that we are all unevolved monkeys prone to mistakes and miopic worldviews, so we should try to be less shitty to one another and live our lives without assuming OUR way is perfect or should be enforced on everyone else.

Something everyone should see the value in, except the most authoritarian (on either end of the political spectrum).
>>
File: 1458851947016-1.png (1MB, 1366x768px)
1458851947016-1.png
1MB, 1366x768px
>>54584709
Did anyone here actually like The Science of Discworld after 2? Darwin's Watch just sounded like the manifesto of Terry's innermost atheist clumsily written into both a diatribe on how unnecessary religion is and a short story explaining that religion is actively harmful to scientific progress.
>>
>>54588792
The BBC's main problem is that it has absolutely no transparency, and has a clear crony culture at the top.
Danny Cohen is probably the worst and most prominent of them in recent years, but he's by far the only one.

I'm just glad that their nature documentaries haven't suffered, since Attenborough has the power to tell anyone who tries interfering to fuck off
>>
>>54588792
Not relevant and definitely not mutually exclusive (pbuh).
>>
>>54588484
You couldn't be more wrong, like laughably so. Research funding is by it's very nature evidence against this.
>>
Best quotes?
>>
>>54591959
From this thread >>54575402 ,>>54575566 , >>54575651 , >>54577193 And absolutely all of >>54584803
>>
>>54591959
“I recall no arrangement, Mau, no bargain, covenant, agreement or promise. There is what happens, and what does not happen. There is no 'should”

Spoken by the local manifestation of Death in the standalone book Nation.
The book deals with dealing with death, among other themes. In an interview Pratchett said about the book that it was the "best book he'd ever read" This was somewhat awkward as the interview had also mentioned Alzheimers and how it was slowly getting harder to write., he corrected it to "written" after the interviewer pointed it out.
>>
>>54592061
And of course>>54571292
>>
Discworld (all 40ish of em) are complete shit. The books are horrible and his fanbase are just as horrible as the books themselves
>>
>>54592177
Nation was great, easily the best novel for a younger audience he wrote.
>>
>>54589082
>I'm just glad that their nature documentaries haven't suffered, since Attenborough has the power to tell anyone who tries interfering to fuck off

Not for long though.
>>
>>54571413
Only by the retards. Pratchett himself was able to create a very varied cast of characters subscribing to quite varied moral backgrounds though even then, majority of them was quite down to Earth and valued stuff that simply worked, no matter how it sounded.
>>
>>54592190
Confirmed shit taste or poor bait.
>>
File: 1483782496144.gif (415KB, 480x238px)
1483782496144.gif
415KB, 480x238px
>>54592190
I suppose you're expecting an angry response that you can smugly claim proves your point?
>>
>>54585828
The daughter of Terry confirmed it on twitter, they're still working on it
>>
I really liked the Hogfather movie, Death was played great. The only thing that bothers me in character's logic was that monologue about "molecule of mercy" etc - that such ethical and moral endeavors are lies people make for themselves. Even if it's something people made up, basing how real they are on the basis of physical form is stupid. It's the world of souls, magic, intangible, absolutely not physical forces and existences that guide physical forces and elements. Hell, I vaguely recall than in Discworld itself there were mentions of paranormal forces which were composed of certain ideas - the whole "greatest sieve" bit in relation to that just doesn't work and makes Death monologue sound like anime gibberish - sounds beautiful, shows thinking outside of the box but is actually stupid and flawed.
>>
>>54593087
Eh, discworld is pretty clear that magic breaks down reality, but it's very much there - it slows down light, even.

Though the power of belief does add another dimension to that, but that was rather the point - much like discworld's gods, if people didn't believe then it couldn't exist
>>
>>54593325
Yes, obviously, which makes the whole metaphore about sieve pointless as Death himself fully well knows that there's much more to the world than physical elements that can be sieved through.
>>
>>54593087
Its not literally looking for a molecule, its a metaphor for how such ideals are not part of the nature of the vast, uncaring universe. Of course its aimed at the IRL reader, but it also works for Discworld as all the higher forces at work are dicks who dont give a shit about being fair (excluding Death, but he learned to be otherwise)
>>
>>54593426
Eh, I cannot agree with that representation. The point Death was making wasn't that these ideals aren't just a part of nature (which, arguably, they very well may be as they are integral part of deities and other such stuff) but that they're lies made up and not really true till they'll become social/intellectual agreements on part of the people upholding them and the act of physically dividing universe into particles and failing to find particles of those ideas makes them not real. It could indeed be a take worth consideration IRL, from materialistic standpoint but we already know that in Discworld there's much more beyond materialism and that ideas, moralities and other abstract concepts actually have physical effect or representations and are part of natural order of the universe - that is, not a lie.
>>
>>54593370
Death better than anyone knows that stuff doesn't exist unless you believe - magic, magics's a thing that happens, but some things, they don't exist unless you believe they do and create them (which also suggests that some things don't have an inherent nature, but that's another philosophical question)
>>
>>54593517
Except within the Discworld fairness is explicitly stated multiple times not to be part of that higher element. Luck and Fate are, but there is no divine Justice or Mercy to be found.
>>
>>54593588
>Death better than anyone knows that stuff doesn't exist unless you believe
But there are forces that are responsible for it working that way. And even that aside - exactly because he knows that he shouldn't base existence of something on it having physical form, as per that sieve metaphor.

>>54593588
There's no objective set of moral behavior but the concept or feeling of morality is part of the very divine beings/forces that are responsible for luck and fate. Arguably, those may not have existed always but they do now and so the concepts are something that's neither a lie nor sievable-through.
>>
>>54593868
But he isnt talking about morality, he's talking about fairness.

This whole argument is getting really pedantic over a really simple metaphor. Molecule=Reality (Including the weird elements of the Discworlds reality), no Molecule of Mercy, Justice, etc.= They are not part of reality.
>>
>>54593938
Fairness is also concept known by those beings, stemming from morality and whatnot.

Either way, yeah, the point is there's more to the Discworld world than physical makeup of its universe so the metaphor relying on dividing and evaluating physical makeup of it in effort to judge whether something is a lie or not is not fitting imho.
>>
>>54588484
The political issue with academic papers isn't really from STEM fields, but from "soft sciences" like sociology.

When you study humans (especially through polls and not medical reports), there are just so many factors that need to be controlled for but often aren't.
>>
>>54571292
13.82 billion years of history and we lived at the same time as Sir Terry Pratchett........
We are lucky indeed.
>>
>Just picked up Guards! Guards! and Mort about an hour ago.
I'm hyped.
>>
>>54584729

The Shepard's crown and Raising Steam aren't on that list
>>
>>54593087
But all that soulstuff and all those divine powers only exist because people believe in them in the first place. The gods in Discworld (or the Hogfather) are real because people think they're real, they aren't naturally part of the universe.
Ideas become tangible in Discworld through magic, and they become tangible in our universe through a different, less literal kind of magic. Death's speech applies to both worlds.
>>
>>54595293
Not really. Belief empowers gods in Discworld, but Small Gods shows that they still exist without it, if only as near-mindless motes on the wind.

And if you think about it, gods are a much smaller phenomenon than justice or fairness. With gods, the natural phenomena are already happening, the universe just ends up putting someone in charge of them. Fairness only truly exists in the minds of people.
>>
I have GURPS Discworld but I can't help thinking that there's got to be a better system for it, like FATE or something. Anybody out there play a DW game at home?
>>
File: Guards.jpg (51KB, 539x378px)
Guards.jpg
51KB, 539x378px
>>54594613
They are pretty excellent, Watch and Death are some very good and developed sub-series
>>
>>54571555
I've never been able to find the Chalk on one of these maps. Anyone else?
>>
>>54583737

you're trading one dementia illness with another?
>>
File: Ahmed approves.jpg (44KB, 640x539px)
Ahmed approves.jpg
44KB, 640x539px
>>54584683
Niiiiice.
>>
>tfw we will never get films about the witches with Maggie Smith as Granny Weatherwax and Miriam Margolyes as Nanny Ogg
why live
>>
>>54571413
Pratchett's books had what progressivism should've become but couldn't.
>>
>>54584683
>>54584757
Honestly, I kind of have a love-hate relationship with Sally.

Her whole stick is that she is a vampire, and vampires in the Discworld are Better Than You. She gets into the place quite late in the series and she, of course, is Better Than Anyone. Repeatedly. Able to read the smallest clues, stronger, smarter, and more dangerous than the other characters.

What saves her character is that she is semi-played straight, semi-played for laugh. It's a weird 50/50. She's not a parody of a Mary Sue, but she isn't completely one too. She's kind of a weird semi-parodic Mary Sue, taken seriously, and not the focus of the story.
>>
>>54602543
They were made before the Chalk.
>>
>>54602837
They should make a Tiffany Aching series with Bella Ramsey before she gets too old for the part, if Lyanna Mormont is any indication she could do great.
>>
>>54603119
>and more dangerous than the other characters.
There's at least 2, probably more likely between 4 and 7 Watch members who are more dangerous than her, or at least more likely to win a fight.

She's still a bit power-wanky, coming in as late as she does, but the way her main ruse is seen through without anyone really bothering to comment is kind of funny.

(Vimes and. Carrot, because of who they are and massive plot armour, maybe Detritus, Dorfl, Angua, Pessimal, Bluejohn (not for skills, he's just huge) and if Specials are included I'd rate the Librarian)

Apparently she's up to captain in one of the Science books though, which is a bit BS, but I haven't read it
>>
>>54603254
iirc she's up to captain in another city entirely, but I haven't read it either. I've not heard good things about the last couple of those.
>>
>>54603254
I'd say in a straight up fight most trolls would have the advantage over most vampires.

Vampires are faster but trolls are made of stone and are at least as strong.
>>
>>54575794
>All anti-gun laws do is fuck over the law-abiding citizen and their capacity to protect themselves.
I've met too many of my fellow citizens - and read too much 4chan and other forums - to trust them with any weapon I can't outrun.
>>
>>54603270
Kinda devolving into 'i don't know but I heard', but I think she's kept around so that if Vimes needs a line to Uberwald and the Low King he can just do things the Vimes way rather than use the proper channels.

Also with her vampire-sueness and how it's implied she put her vampire need to obsess over something on being a copper she's pretty good at the job

>>54603281
Yeah, similar to Angua, they don't have to worry too much about their supernatural abilities.

And also much like Angua I'm sure Ankh-Morepork's endlessly inventive criminal class will have been concerned for a bit, then adapt to deal with her.
>>
>>54577659
ISIS is the local /pol/. It draws losers by promising them the sex and power they have been unfairly deprived of while offering convenient scapegoats for all their troubles.
>>
>>54578290
>Feel that aching pain as you reinact the nutcracker on a personal scale?
I almost allways sit with my legs crossed and feel no pain at all. Maybe it's because I have been doing it since I was little but I don't really care either way.

And no I do not have a small weinus

I hope I am not infertile.
>>
File: 1498997137532.jpg (341KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
1498997137532.jpg
341KB, 1536x2048px
>>54588725
>The main issue seems to be that burgers don't read.

FTFY
>>
>>54572662
>>54576433

As somebody who works in a related field, and has been to a bunch of seminars with some of the neurodegenerative disease bigguys4u, hold out hope anon. It's by no means certain, but strides are being made.
In the meantime, look into the protective effects of RBM3, look into hypothermia-induced upregulation of RBM3 in rodents. One of the big groups working on AD was looking at whether the effects were also seen in humans that do ice-water diving vs their non-diving spouses with otherwise similar risk factors. I don't know if they've published yet, but their preliminary results looked like there was something to it.
Tl;dr version, if you put mice with the genetic defect used to model Alzheimer's in the freezer for a while, they maintain near normal level of cognitive function for as long as they were recorded (iirc). It seems like temporarily inducing hypothermia by taking up ice-diving (I guess you could sub in literal ice-filled baths if you don't live somewhere cold) might have similarly neuroprotective effects in humans.
Worst case scenario, you now have a cooldude-tier hobby. Best case scenario, you keep your brain unscrambled. GL anons.
>>
>>54571413
The only books were that's prominent is the last ones and it's not really clear if it's him, with his alzheimer's, or his ghost writer cause there was a lot of funky shit going down in those books. (from characters acting out of character to weird passages and more)

Also Pratchett would have been denounced by SJWs for Jingo alone, in that line where he says being a foreign minority doesn't exclude you from being an utter bastard.
>>
>>54571615
Snuff was painful at points. Unseen Academicals was worse imo.
Absolutely worst was the last Science of the Discworld book, it's the only Pratchett book i've actually put down and didn't finish. Rincewind speaking authoritavely over the Dean and the whole atheist vs religion bit was utterly nonsensical. The snowflake mary sue real world character just made it worse.
>>
>>54603879
I didn't mind UA, though the romances were a bit lame and Mr Nutt was pretty dull.
Maybe I just liked the football jokes.
>>
>>54603735
Im just amazed the question 7 is scientifically correct. Although it is accidentally correct, I doubt they realised that Meat-eater excludes omnivores.
>>
>>54588946
Darwin's Watch was still readable if a bit annoying at points. (even when I was a staunch anti-theist in my teens I didn't see the point of polishing Darwin's balls like Brits seem obsessed with)
It wasn't until Judgement Day that it became unreadable trash though and I think that comes down to the Alzheimers.
>>
>>54603949
Does it? I think it can be an inclusive term that includes omnivores, though it's still technically correct - some herbivores have tough diets and such.

Also
>Sorcerer's Stone
>>
File: 1457108537306.jpg (282KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1457108537306.jpg
282KB, 1920x1200px
>>54584706
>mfw Hogwarts was founded by Indians
>>
>>54584785
I honestly couldn't stand the movie adaptation of Going Postal, to me it felt like a complete butchering of the story
>>
>>54603915
It must be a book you can only get and enjoy properly if you like football.

I hate football. I did not enjoy any part of the book that had to do with it directly. I found Mr Nutt boring and in the inclusion or orcs to be OPplznerf dindus. I found the fashion industry dorfs to be annoying.

The only bits that I found interesting was Lord Vetinari and the vampire lady, the cabinet of curiosities and the mention of Fr Oats touring Uberwald.
>>
>>54585336
No burgers love Prachett
>>
>>54575191
>Moving Pictures and Soul Music are bad
Kill yourself, they're great
>Going Postal was good
Okay, still kill yourself, but now you can do it painlessly after having an opportunity to get your affairs in order
>>
>>54604167
Burger here. I love Pratchett. I read nearly all of his books that were out at the time when I was in eighth grade.
>>
>>54604167
Hey, fuck you.
>>
File: 1486601338259.jpg (171KB, 800x598px) Image search: [Google]
1486601338259.jpg
171KB, 800x598px
>>54591959
"The Ramkins were more highly bred than a hilltop bakery, whereas Corporal Nobbs had been disqualified from the human race for shoving."
>>
>>54607085
I've always been partial to "Lady Ramkin's bosom rose and fell like an empire."

Not the most profound thing he ever wrote, but damned if its not evocative.
>>
File: the magical realm of hogwarts.png (915KB, 1686x1864px) Image search: [Google]
the magical realm of hogwarts.png
915KB, 1686x1864px
>>54585867
Here you go.
>>
>>54575497
>>54575726
>>54577473
>>54592361

That's the poster's fucking point, you faggots. The whole point is that often on 4chan, and maybe this isn't you specifically, people apply the sjw term far too liberally (pun fucking intended).

Anyone with any liberal or progressive view points gets called an sjw here by faggots who lack either the ability or the will to form arguments against people they disagree with.

Again, the point was never that the author is actually sjw.
>>
>>54572366
What annoys me most about this is how that's way too obsequious to be Pratchett's Death speaking.

Pretty poor effort altogether anon. It's tributes like this that make me glad that I'll die alone and unloved.
Thread posts: 278
Thread images: 37

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.