[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

India-Based Campaigns

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: bahubali city.jpg (50KB, 960x355px) Image search: [Google]
bahubali city.jpg
50KB, 960x355px
So /tg/, I'm preparing to run a D&D campaign that takes place on a jungle continent that has three major civilizations; a drow Aztec-inspired civilization, a human Australian/aboriginal-inspired civilization, and then a lizardfolk India-inspired civilization. I need some help.

While I'm finding plenty of info on Aztec stuff, and the Australian/Aboriginal stuff isn't too foreign to me, the Indian side of it is proving to be challenging, simply because there is so much mythology and cultural practices that seem too much to handle.

Do any of you have experience running campaigns in an India-inspired world? Any part of historic Hindu culture that would make for interesting stories? I've already included that reincarnation is a huge part of lizardfolk culture, and they are divided into four classes (with a fifth class of untouchables on the fringes), but I want to know if there's more out there.

If it helps at all, I'm not even trying to work in the Hindu gods, and am just sticking with the Aztec gods for the lizardfolk too.
>>
POO
>>
Ritual cleanliness is of major importance, the casts don't want to touch each other, won't eat food made by lesser casts. Higher casts might not eat meat, aside from specific instances, like they would slaugther a cow for a respected guest. Holy rivers are of major ritual importance. They burn their dead. Fire is also holy and important for household rituals. The houehold fire is established when a young man marries and will be used for all kinds of daily and annual rituals, even for burning deceased partners. Damascus steel originates from here, called woodz steel. Despite believing in reincarnation, they still have a heaven. The warrior caste still has a specific warrior heaven, but you might want to skip this because it's a clash of arian beliefes with the dravidian native belief, or let's say what we assume to be dravidian native belief. You can be reincarnated as a god

This was just throwing things out, there is so much shit, I don't even know where to start.
>>
>>54570473
DESIGNATED
>>
>>54570473
Light skin good in north, gods have it and demons have black skin.

Black skin good in south, gods have it and demons have white skin.
>>
>>54570577
>Ritual cleanliness is of major importance
lmao
>>
A hereditary semi-religious criminal underclass that lives in the country and preys on travelers.
>>
>five replies in and already samefagging

OP, when I was in high school I ran a game set in a fantasy India, but I didn't know anything about the region so I just winged it. This anon probably has some good advice >>54570577

My setting had zebra centaurs.
>>
>>54570718
Thaka, where we got our "thug" from. Used to strangle the people they travel with at night or while other thaka distracted them with music or dance. Also there were some people you could take with you while travelling, I forgot the name though, that would threaten bandits with killing themselves, so that they amass a lot of bad karma.
>>
>>54570750
>Also there were some people you could take with you while travelling, I forgot the name though, that would threaten bandits with killing themselves, so that they amass a lot of bad karma.

Holy shit that's awesome and incredibly Indian. Include this OP.
>>
>>54570750
>Thaka, where we got our "thug" from
I thought they were just called "thugs"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thuggee
>>
>>54570524
>>54570583

In the interest of having a decent thread can you guys keep your autism to a minimum?

Thanks
>>
>>54570473
>>54570577 is good.

-Society divided in clans. Several clans make a tribe, governed by a chief. Whoever manages to rule many tribes is a king. There are many kings. This all is alongside castes.

-Widespread use of elephants for labour and war. Perhaps you could change those for giant turtles? If so, make them able to reshape their shell as they grow, making it suitable for different jobs. A caravan turtle may have a bowl-like shell, a war turtle has a thick shell with a sharp tip going over its head. Holy turtles have gods carved in their shells as they parade around the city.

-The climate may be very humid in the fertile regions where most live, so the elite have steel bows which don't suffer from it like bamboo longbows or composite bows. Make very good steel, export it to others.

-The topmost armor isn't plate, but plated mail, also because of the humidity.

-They pray to any and all gods, domestic or foreign.

-Magical artifacts? Indian mythology got you covered:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astra_(weapon)

-kings have huge fortresses-palaces atop hills, with spiked gates meant to prevent turtles from ramming them.

-Temples carved from solid rock.

Need visuals?

Also take a look here for a historically accurate ancient indian army:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tq3TH7ds6ZM

And perhaps see this "D&D India" movie. Had fun seeing it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOEg_YZQsTI

http://bhuthacharya.deviantart.com/gallery/

http://www.planetfigure.com/threads/news-july-chronos-miniatures-chm-54113-m.107250/ (second post)
>>
File: 244.jpg (1MB, 1500x846px) Image search: [Google]
244.jpg
1MB, 1500x846px
>>54571795
>http://bhuthacharya.deviantart.com/gallery/
Man, I shoulda linked straight to his site:
www.prasannaweerakkody.com/
It's full of awesome indian art made by a sri-lankan artist.
>>
>>54571688
Don't reply to trolls, dummy.
>>
>>54571902
Were those whirly Xena things really used in battles like this?
>>
>>54570473
So who has more gold, the Aztecs or the Indians? You've got pretty much two of the most gilded societies in history right next to each other.

Gold alone might be reason for them to go to war with each other.
>>
>>54572078
They are called chakrams and there is a specific techniques to throw them like this.
>>
>>54572078
The Indians had a lot of questionably effective weapons whose actual combat use is kind of dubious. Chakrams, as far as I know, are one of the few that we know people actually used to some effect. Against the largely unarmored masses throughout Indian history they're decently effective, especially when a large bow might make it awkward to fight in close quarters without discarding it completely.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.