[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ultra-Low Level Campaign

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: 1500649036533.jpg (27KB, 305x407px) Image search: [Google]
1500649036533.jpg
27KB, 305x407px
Have you ever ran or played in a multi-session game that had a very small goal in the grand scheme of things but was personally important to the players? I'm talking like a campaign of D&D where the player characters might never rise past level 5 or 6, and their goal might be to bring a local group of thieves to justice or to recover an artifact hidden in a nearby town from a collector.

I'm curious just how often other anons have games where the players and their struggles aren't really something that affects the rise and fall of kingdoms or saves the world or anything like that. It just seems like every GM/DM/ST always eventually places the players at the forefront of some global happening and very rarely do players ever experience the mundane for a length of time.
>>
>>54556827
Systems other than DnD usually do this better, the way that the leveling system is set up you'll eventually outgrow small scale problems
>>
>>54556827
I never played in a game where my character could affect the rise and fall of kingdoms or save the world.
>>
>>54556857
OSR is D&D.
>>
Played a home brew heavy dark heresy game focused around playing a hive gang in the slumps.

We couldn't even read, and the day to day focus was around just trying to survive, and to see what little ways we could eek out gains for our gang.

Retrospectively, was probably one of my favorite games to play since it was role playing first and foremost, and we weren't big damned heroes, we were little fish living in a madcap world trying to survive.
>>
Played an epic 2nd ed D&D campaign. Lasted around a year with more than 30 3 hour sessions. But no one in the party got higher than lvl 9 and none of use got much of any loot. Except nice weapons. So if we even came across 50 gold we bargained with each other over who got what.
Yet it was super fun and I'll never forget the shit that went on
>>
>>54556827
I'm playing in a game right now where it's completely low level sandbox, and we do almost whatever we want. Mostly RP, little combat. We've had about 25 sessions and the party is just level 2.

There are a few grand scale things happening in nearby kingdoms and nations and we hear news of it every once in a while, but they aren't world ending and we aren't expected to deal with them.

Most comfy way to play. Helps that the GM is good.
>>
>>54556827
>ultra-low level
>never rise past level 5 or 6

Holy shit. I was not aware that power-bloat in WotC had gotten that bad.
>>
>>54556827
i played an all-civilian campaign once, I think I was some sort of church janitor. Backgrounds in 5e have more power in them than old npc civilian classes entirely.
>>
>>54557435
Fair enough
>>
>>54556827

Not sure if it counts, but I run what I guess could be called long term campaigns, where the first 1.5 years or so are minor quests at local levels or personal interests, until the characters get to level 5ish and things begin escalate into larger affairs. It's slow and steady but rather rewarding.

I find it difficult to find players who appreciate the slow burn, but anyone I can get to buy into the concept really gets into it after a time. They've had their time doing mundane things and discovering themselves, and then push onto heroic efforts.
>>
File: the-shire.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
the-shire.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
I Gm'd a game once where the classes were all pathetic homebrew versions of the actual classes: barbarian became tavern brawler, mage became smart alec and had spells like "throw jar of piss"

The story was pretty straight forward, some guy from the neighbouring village stole one characters pig, so they had to go et it back, a funny moment was, they ran into the "main characters" who were on their way to preventing the end of the world, but all my Pc's thought they were cunts.

Everyone was doing bad accents, we had a scott, a mank, a scouser etcetc

notable highlights included the team almost wiping to man riding a pig, failing the lock-picking attempt and getting put in prison, only to find they the team couldn't afford bail. Failing the lockpick to get back into their own home

was pretty fun
>>
We had a hobo game once
Our mission was to get our shopping trolley back from the gyppos
We broke into a chicken shed, stole cake from children and beat gyppos over the head with sticks
I believe there was some light buggery too
We did recover our trolley though, only to have it taken away by a cruel collision with a tramway
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.