[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/srg/ - Shadowrun General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 327
Thread images: 18

...Identity Spoofed
...Encryption Keys Generated
...Connected to Onion Routers
>>>Login: *********
>>>Enter Passcode: *********
...Biometric Scan Confirmed
Connected to ????? Grid...

>Welcome back to /srg/, chummer
>Last Viewed Files: >>54515381
>Big_Booty_Thic_Trolls.sim
>My_Wife_Is_a_Greek_Changeling!.trid
>Under_The_Big_Blue_Sky.BTL

Personal Alerts
* Reminder; "Get new clean SIN today"
* You have 1193 recommended products
* Your Chummer > Tools > Options books list has been unchecked https://github.com/chummer5a/chummer5a/releases
* Cloud File Storage: http://pastebin.com/SsWTY7qr
* Running visualizer.thread...

>Watch your back
>Shoot straight
>Conserve ammo
>And never, ever deal with a dragon

Gourmet edition
Where do you eat to celebrate a successful run?
What is your sustenance while in hiding after an unsuccessful run?
>>
>>54530213
>Where do you eat to celebrate a successful run?
Aztlan burger place.

>What is your sustenance while in hiding after an unsuccessful run?
Hell hounds
>>
>>54530213
My most recent character:
>After a successful run
Elf Neo-Jazz club, great drinks even if anything trying to pose as meat is mediocre at best.
>After a failed run
My decker has at least one box of pancake mix available for this situation, more often two.
>>
>>54530213
>Successful run
The canteen back at base.

>Unsuccessful run
Instant ramen...
>>
>>54530213

After some discussion, and the hacker complaining about waffle houses being low class, we ended up pulling into Panzerwaffle after our first job.

My character ended up stealing a win in a weapons check call by giving a speech about about his beat up shotgun.

He then traded in the free meal he won for free desert for himself and the two other party members.

We also met some local runners, all three of our characters were new to Denver, were made aware of a standing job way above our current means and paygrade, and picked up a milk run off the bulletin board to make some extra money to help make ends meet. Well for two of us anyway. The hacker was better off.
>>
>>54530288
>Hell Hounds

Good thinking, they're already fried.
>>
>>54530213
One of my players likes to head home to the country and enjoy some of his families cooking for a day or two after a good run. Helps both decompress and lay low.
If it goes bad he parks his van under a bridge and eats protein bars and listens to police radio until they stop talking about him.
>>
>>54530288 >>54530463

Are hellhounds descended from wolves or feral dogs?
>>
>>54530906
I'm pretty sure hellhounds are just metadogs so they can possibly be both considering wolves are basically aggressive dogs.
>>
>>54530906
Hellhounds are awakened german sheppards
and stop posting like that
>>
Is it unreasonable to demand that your players don't play a decker/technomancer/whatever so you can just handwave this bullshit instead of juggling practically two to three separate games
>>
>>54531267

I'm wishing I had, now.

Or at least just have an NPC decker.
>>
>>54531267
Demand seems a little strong, but not entirely unjustified. If someone really wanted to play a nerd I would try to make the effort. Probably.
>>
File: Cyberpunk apartment.jpg (487KB, 2000x1013px) Image search: [Google]
Cyberpunk apartment.jpg
487KB, 2000x1013px
Should your GM make a big deal out of what lifestyle you have?

Sure every decent runner can stay a lowlife, but should upgrade to a high or even medium lifestyle come with some perks?
>>
>>54531417
i am aroused by the titty and awwed by the kitty

Doesn't a lifestyle higher than low attract attention considering most Shadowrunners are SINless?
>>
>>54531449
Fake SIN, omae. Make yourself a fake civilian life, do some extremely illegal SIN-switching so you always have one identity that's an upstanding and unassuming citizen.

It's worth it if you want to actually walk the streets and go shopping, instead of living in the slums and eating food grown in port-a-potties. Report all your income as private commission work, security, etc, so nobody asks questions. You can even throw some money into licenses, if you want or need the convenience.
>>
>>54531267

I recommend that they play some kind of hybrid on-site decker. I don't want to see anyone sitting the whole run at home and getting fat.
>>
>>54531481
In that case, yo soy Estrella Heliodoro, I am the son of Catholic Aztlan immigrants. I run a dojo for the mystically gifted(Adepts, Mages, and Mystic Adepts) with an entry fee of 500 nuyen. Most of my money comes from mysterious magic supporting benefactors and not from totally illegal activities. Mock me for my feminine name and I will break your nose.
>>
>>54531417

As a GM, so I always try to simulate a living world.

After a long run, some runner could find a invitation to a cocktail party hosted by your new nice neighbors at his door, some other could find his shithole even emptier then before.
>>
>>54531556
Fantastic cover, omae. Hopefully you're not settling somewhere that assigns what amounts to magical parole officers to monitor awakened citizens. Though, if you are, I'm sure your assigned officer will admire your contribution to local society.

Once your relationship with them has recovered after you broke your nose when they presumed you were a woman at the start of your first case meeting.
>>
>>54531685
>How was I supposed to know, sarge? It says F on the birth certificate.
>>
>>54531685
Oh, they'll warm up to me. I'll lure em into my fake personal chambers in the dojo and fuck their brains out.
>>
>>54531093
>and stop posting like that

Stringing post links out lengthwise in a single line before moving down to the next line is a lot more space efficient then stacking post links 1 per line.
>>
>>54531556
What kind of awakened are you?
>>
>>54531748
Mystic Adept.
>>
>>54531796
Remember to abuse the absolute fuck out of the fact that RAW doesn't actually outlaw overlap of the initiative boosting Adept power and the initiative boosting Mage spell.

Pump yourself the fuck up, chummer. Become the wind. Take six turns in a round.
>>
>>54530213
>>54530743
>And the GM speaks with no energy in his voice and almost like he dislike even playing the game.

How do you even do that?

Monotone is one thing, but how do you sound like you hate running the game?
Or rather how and why would someone continue to gm if they hate the game?
>>
>>54531838
Of course I abuse those two abilities. I run a dojo which means I am a fucking master.
>>
>>54531703
>it stands for FIST, constable Ramirez, and no, don't ask
>>
Anyone played a character who became more humane of a better person as they picked up ware and lost essence?
>>
>>54531923
That's the exact opposite of what's supposed to happen, isn't it?
>>
>>54530213
Sexcurity armor.
>>
>>54531935
>>54531923
No, that's a meme, and a bad one.
You're not guaranteed to become less of a person as you lose essence. It's just how loose your 'soul' grips your flesh.

All low essence means is you're more likely to exhibit antisocial tendencies or other mental fuckups if you're already prone to them.
>>
File: IMG_3275.jpg (135KB, 640x491px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3275.jpg
135KB, 640x491px
So does Azland religion call for human sacrifice or is that just a meme on Aztechnologies use of blood magic?
>>
>>54531326
>>54531267
>>54531519
Hybrid decker is exactly what I don't want to be honest. Having an unconscious asshole around is the worst.

Pull up in a van 2 blocks away with all your tech shit hooked up and go into a coma back there so you have low noise and can do your matrix shit to help the others in meatspace while they do the run. Ideally both GM and decker are competent enough that they can run a lot of stuff in whispers on roll20 for example alongside the regular meat gameplay.

It's what I do for Navigator during warp travel in Rogue Trader. The other's don't know we just got this close to getting torn apart by a warp reef, they're just doing their "don't think of the demons, don't think of the demons" mantra while we hurl through warp.
>>
File: Clipboard01.png (37KB, 295x152px) Image search: [Google]
Clipboard01.png
37KB, 295x152px
>>54531838
????
>>
>>54531923 >>54531935 >>54531947

This archived thread has interesting stances on essence and ware.

http://forums.dumpshock.com/lofiversion/index.php/t208.html

As for an example of a character gaining "humanity" as they chromed up; check out Grimshear's post dated something around "Aug 20 2003, 01:56 AM"
>>
>>54531982
Increase Reflexes spell plus Adrenaline Boost Adept power.
>>
>>54532008
Ah, yeah. Mystic might actually survive that drain. Gets you kind of low starting init until you get it up though, doesn't it?
>>
>>54532008
Or the Increase Attribute (INT) spell. 4 more points you can grab there.
>>
>>54532054
Drain soak Mystic Adepts were the real Street Samurai all along.

>>54532026
And yeah, but it's cheap enough to upgrade and useful enough to be worth it.
>>
>>54532078
Would have to talk to the GM about the slightly nebulous "one free action when it's NOT your turn" thing CGL kinda sorta mentions but never really defines for good in its own paragraph for that adrenaline boost usage.
>>
Why don't more corporations use blood magic?

It seems to work well for Aztechnology. There the biggest mega corp in the americas.

It's evil and your not supposed to do it but those don't seem to be causing them much of a problem.
>>
>>54532091
It's no longer evil anyway. There's NICE blood magic now. But that probably actually makes it LESS likely for Corps to use it.
>>
>>54532091
The dragons know that blood magic brings the horrors closer to appearing in the world so they discourage the use of it.
>>
>>54532091
>seems to work for Aztechnology

Azzies are still recovering after their spat with Amazonia and Sirrurgh. None of the other corps want to tangle with any Great Dragons just yet.
>>
>>54532156
I thought they killed sirrurg the destroyer, or maimed him badly enough that he had to be saved and hidden away by his peers
>>
>>54532246
Yeah, they 'won'.

Are you familiar with the term 'pyrrhic victory'? Sirrurg smashed a lot of stuff, and the fight with Aztlan cost a fair amount of soldiers.

They're a triple A, so they aren't done in, but the Azzies have been quiet lately for good reason. They need to rebuild.
>>
>>54532091
Azzies magic is not proper Blood Magic. Its 4th world death magic
.>>54532246
More like arested by Lofwyr and put in dragon jail
>>
>>54531950
It's very fucking real omae.
>>
>>54532096
Well, just gotta wait till we have nice insect spirits, cyberzombies and dragons.
>>
>>54532283
The Azzies will come back stronger than ever. They will make the scalies their bitches figuratively and literally.
>>
So I recently played through the three HBS games and really, really enjoyed it. I kinda want to run a campaign for my players but they're all fairly fresh meat who've never tried any system besides D&D 5e.

Is the game newcomer friendly? Which edition do you recommend? Are the netdecking rules still ridiculous and force you to divide up the party if someone tries to hack anything?
>>
>>54531746
>space efficient
nobody cares about space efficiency, trogger.
we don't have a limit how long the page can get, just how many posts until it starts to die
and having them be in a row looks like shit
>>
>>54532371
But anon, Dunkelzahn was a nice dragon :^)

But I guess there's always hope it could be Saeletra.
>>
>>54532588
Not exactly.

5E, despite the editing fuckups.

Yes.
>>
>>54532669
>5E, despite the editing fuckups.
Is this just grammar mistakes or are some rules actually written down incorrectly?
>Yes.
Dammit.
>>
>>54532689
It's more that some rules aren't actually written down at all.
>>
>>54532695
Oh, shit. Is there a list of them or something?
>>
>>54532707
It's more the need for you as a DM to make a call because CGL loves talking vaguely around shit in a sorta fluffy sorta way without actually putting down a RAW rule on the function they're hinting at or the mechanic they're describing, and a lot of "this is probably how those things are meant to interact" you have to do.
>>
>>54532721
Oh, that's fine then. Cheers, I'll go look into the 5th edition later todsy then.
>>
>>54532721
There's also the bit where they forgot to write that running out of Stun knocks you out in the Damage section, you have to infer it from the action of some of the gear. That's probably one of the worst ones.

>>54532725
You should probably be aware that 5e takes place significantly later in-universe than the HBS games. Like 20-odd years.
>>
>>54532725
>>54532740
5e takes place in the 2070s, specifically. The latest books are placed in early to mid 2077.
>>
>>54532725
In terms of what's different from the games:

Initiative is a giant arms race and you better compete.
So is armor but slightly less.
The only reason having to run is only the second worst thing that can happen to you in combat is because getting shot is so ludicrously lethal.
Action economy and modifiers despise melee combat.

And a personal note in terms of how the games translate,I found Shadowrun Returns to be a fairly good Shadowrun experience, and I found Dragonfall was a snowflake themepark trying to show off all the super high-tier and "special" things you have no business regularly (or at all) being around in a game of SR. When you not only get to decide the fate of a (probably toxic and/or deranged) dragon but being nice to them and letting them go seems like a solid option, you've done a shit job establishing the world of Shadowrun.
>>
>>54532752
>>54532740
Oh, is the timejump significant? Like is the political/technological landscape entirely different?

>>54532757
Yeah, I kinda got the feeling while playing it that Dragonfall was way, way outside the norm in terms of what you do in the main plot.
>>
>>54532818
Wireless is probably the most major technological change. It appears at the end of 3e, which is 2065 or so.
>>
>>54532818
>>54532850
Oh, and the Universal Brotherhood have gotten fucked, I don't think they've been a major faction since 1e.
>>
>>54532818
Very. Cognitive Fragmentation Disorder caused by nanites infect people and overwrite their personality with an AI's.

Megacorps have colonies on the ocean floor, in geo-synch orbit, on the Moon, and on Mars.

Chicago is slowly reclaimed from the insect spirits.

Wireless tech is making a big comeback.
>>
>>54532757
All three games end up pretty high-tier. Getting sent on a mission by Lofwyr with Harlequin in back-up or preventing a Horror to get an early foot in the door isn't exactly 'run-of-the-mill' shadowrunning business either.

>>54532818
The technological landscape is the most different. "Hong Kong" hints at Augmented Reality slowly starting in the 2050, by the 2070's is the norm everywhere with the post Crash 2.0 Matrix.
>>
Hoi, chummers, got a question.

In the "Welcome Back to Jackpoint, Chummer:" section of The Complete Trog (page 6), there's this snippet:

"> Detroit presents lavish incentive package to Ares to rebuild corp headquarters in the city; Ares response muted. Link"

So why is Detroit offering to rebuild Ares HQ? Hasn't the Ares HQ been there for ages? What a I missing here?
>>
>>54532891
>Chicago is slowly reclaimed from the insect spirits.
Huh, so that was a big deal then? Felt like a weird incidental detail in Hong Kong, so I guess it makes sense that it was from the actual lore.

Also yikes at the AI shit, Jesus Christ.

>>54532850
>>54533028
Neat.

I might just use 2e/3e instead then. I like the idea of seeing how the universe evolves over time but I want to do a bit of a more low-tech campaign than that.

Unless there's a module/pre-made adventure for 5E that dials the clock back 20 years. Is there?
>>
Just curious, for those of you who played them what builds did you go for in the HBS games?

>Returns: Troll unarmed adept with a splash of mage
>Dragonfall: Dwarven mage with a splash of shaman
>Hong Kong: Ork street samurai with a focus on cyberweapons and sniper rifles
>>
>>54530978
T. Guy who doesn't know anything about wolves or dogs
>>
>>54533294
There's a 2050 supplement for 4e, and the German version of that is for 5e.
>>
>>54533318
>Returns: Gunslinging Elven Female Shaman
>Dragonfall: Male Human Mystic Adept
>Hong Kong: Super Badass Silvered Up Female Gunslinging Decker with an amazing cybernetic whip

The decker was my favorite.
>>
>>54531417
This>>54531665

If you don't show the downside of a low lifestyle, what's the motivation to aim higher? There's some mechanical penalties to things like recovery time, which gives you a nice opportunity to say things like 'You wake up to the sound of the autodoc's alarm and see the saline drip leaking. The filter on your cyberears tuned out the sound of gunfire from the gangs outside, but you can't stop stray bullets from coming through the tin siding. Guess you need to go shopping tomorrow."
>>
>>54533341
Wolves are in some part the ancestors of dogs. The both of them can interbreed with one another and produce fertile offspring. They're basically the same goddamn thing except dogs are far more easily domesticated than wolves.
>>
>>54533318
Return: Cybered-up Street Samurai
Dragonfall: Coyote Shaman/Pistoleer
HongKong: Shaolin Adept
>>
>>54533318
Returns: Face/Decker
Dragonfall: Face/Decker
Hong Kong: Face/Decker
>>
>>54533241
Ares is currently based in Detroit, but is being courted by the CAS to move south. This is basically the city trying to bribe them.
>>
>>54533028
I felt the Telestrian and Harlequin involvement developed fairly organically and out of you simply being the guy who happened to be at the right place at the right time, not intimately connected with any of the stuff going on because of some stupid reason. Shit basically hit the fan to a level where people like them get involved and you'd done decent work before. It's not like you hadn't started fighting before they swooped in and they always are on the watch for insect spirits specifically because people need help against them.

Kind of different from being the people that by themselves free the super AI and the captured dragon because they're just special like that.
>>
>>54533453
How boring.
>>
>>54533318
First time was a heavily aug'ed elf decker wielding an assault rifle for all three games. Boost your charisma along with your shooting and decking skills, and everything goes like a charm every time.
>>
File: IMG_1625.jpg (158KB, 950x534px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1625.jpg
158KB, 950x534px
I wonder if the people responsible for Bright ever drew inspiration from Shadowrun?

https://youtu.be/6EZCBSsBxko
>>
>>54533453
I just bought the games, and I'm afraid of falling into this trap. I play supporting characters in tabletop, but I hate the idea I might miss something in a vidya
>>
>>54533395
Its not actually a penalty to recovery time.

The way its set up is a GM is supposed to call for a fatigue roll at the start of every session that isn't immediately consecutive with the last to check how relaxing/recovering peoples lifestyle is.

You have to resist 6S stun and the DV lowers by 2 for each level of comfort your abode has, the default level for that is 3 on Medium lifestyle, meaning anyone lower has to resist stun damage. Though a Low lifestyle can put a point into Comforts to get it up to 3.

But since no one does those stupid fatigue rolls it really doesn't happen.
>>
>>54533462
Look, i'm just saying that being able to get all extra decking paydata yourself appeals to my perfectionist side and charisma is important for being the leader of the group.

>>54533488
>trap
Careful chummer, i'll have you thrown out of my convention if you keep that up
>>
>>54533416
Physically, psychologically and socially dogs and wolves are miles apart; even wild dog packs are very different than wolf packs.
>>
>>54533480
It's written by Max Landis, he is a pop culture whore.

>>54533318
Combat Mage every time after scoping out the teams. In Returns I always made sure to hire deckers except the game literally forces them on you whenever you need them and even forces you to use the forced decker over one you might have yourself in some instances, so that was a bust.

Also the games pretty consistently give you a party that has everything but a conjuring mage in it, usually making the resident mage a Shaman/Summoning type. I think (Phys)Ad also wasn't super commonly represented. Though there is that one time you get Harlequin in Returns.
>>
>>54533488
Just try a Street Sam for Returns, a mage or mystic adept is really good for Dragonfall and comes into play near the ending, and go for a cybered up commando in Hong Kong since all the really good cyber and bioware is in that game.
>>
>>54533501
You don't even need that much money in Returns or Dragonfall.
>>
>>54533544
Have fun starving when you're between jobs, chum.
>>
>>54533523
Does Shadowrun count as "pop culture" though?

Or did he start with "wouldn't it be cool if we took Lord of the Rings and put it in the modern day?"
>>
>>54533461
Not really, the team in Dragonfall are victims of circumstance as well. It could've just been some other group of Shadowrunners Vaulclair's brother would've hired but it ended up being you because of Monica's reputation for being a pretty big fish in a small pond.
>>
>>54533594
Anyone freed APEX? Because APEX-Monica is a bitch.
>>
>>54533634
>letting a killer AI into the matrix to fry deckers at will
NOPE
>>
>>54533634
Can't stand killing her because of her last action before dying. On the brightside, it doesn't seem like she goes on to murder the world if you give her everything she wanted.
>>
>>54532351
Tell me more
>>
>>54533680
APEX and Feuerschwinge were shit they pulled out of lore remnants to put into the snowflake themepark that is Dragonfall to make it "SO EPIC BRUH". The fact Clockwork is still just Clockwork basically means you can forget about them ever reappearing or being relevant again.
>>
>>54533702
cool story bro
>>
>>54533702
>snowflake themepark

Wasn't that also Returns as well? From the Universal Brotherhood to Harlequin making a cameo?
>>
>>54533772
Insect spirits naturally attract Harlequin's attention, though, and are something you might actually do as your average Shadowrun player (or even did specifically in Missions/related content). Dragonfall was basically being Commander Shepard, but in Shadowrun.
>>
>>54533795
Okay but you literally just acknowledged that APEX and Feurschwinge were lore compliant as well, so how is it any different having them intersect in Dragonfall?
>>
File: IMG_1627.jpg (49KB, 600x597px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1627.jpg
49KB, 600x597px
>>54533795
>Dragonfall was basically being Commander Shepard, but in Shadowrun.

I'm still not sure I'm understanding your issues with Dragonfall. Explain it to me like I'm retarded. Because I am and I hit my helmet on the keyboard six times while typing this out.
>>
>>54533795
>Dragonfall was basically being Commander Shepard, but in Shadowrun.

Every character was tragically boring, including the PC. Lucky Strike was a missed opportunity.
>>
>>54533772
>>54533795
I never got around to reading the adventure from the Universal Brotherhood sourcebook, how similar is that to SRR?
>>
>>54533795
You seem really upset that Dragonfall focused on cool shit rather than the mundane.

You realise that's not inherently the wrong thing to do, right? Shadowrun can be more than nitty gritty street level stuff.
>>
>>54533817
The writers can write whatever the fuck they want to be lore compliant, thats why they're the writers. The point is they looked for the biggest most "so epic dude!" thing they could pull out from somewhere, put TWO of them into the game, make a perfectly normal runner team without help from the big boys like Harlequin both meet and deal with the Super AI and literally have power over a Dragons life in a series of events that is literally a guided tour of a theme park to show you said "most epic" moments while making it hardly seem more extraordinary or threatening than the insect spirits, which were actually improved by the big boys having concerns about them.

They did a shit job of representing what it feels like to play Shadowrun and instead showed you whats its like playing a "me"-focussed singleplayer game specifically like Mass Effect in the Shadowrun setting, while Returns actually did a great fucking job of giving you the right impression and letting you deal with something familiar that might actually come up in a game and is a still represented and featured threat instead of something "so epic" that it had to disappear forever never to return because it would be too impactful outside of their little theme park.
>>
>>54533853
>muh boring cybered up samurai bimbo
You have awful taste if you found her more interesting than any party member but Dante
>>
>>54533862
It didn't feel like Shadowrun to me is the bottom line. It felt like someone took Shadowruns setting and tried to make a big budget movie out of it with as many "trailer moments" and shit like that as possible. Basically what Bright is, I guess.
>>
>>54533884
APEX's real threat was more or less being capable of instantly killing anyone that jacks into the matrix. If her programming didn't make her have to rely on brainwashed idiots and outdated super drones instead of just devouring either you, a hired decker, or Blitz's mind.
>>
>>54533884

Wait so:

>Meeting The Fucking Clown
>Being the guys to blow the lid on the Universal Brotherhood

Legit

>Encountering a dragon
>Encountering an AI

Not legit?

As an aside: I'd play the shit out of a Shadowrun video game set in the Renraku Arcology shutdown. Make survival/providing for a few other survivors a major part of it. Less nuyen, more supplies.
>>
>>54533884
I think you're vastly overstating how big a deal APEX was. It's an order of magnitude less of a threat/anomaly than a Dragon is.

>make a perfectly normal runner team without help from the big boys like Harlequin both meet and deal with the Super AI
You mean the team with connections all over the Flux state via an incredibly well-connected founder and fixer duo, which consisted of a former daemon cultist augged to the point she was almost dead, a former German specops soldier, a shaman of the Dragonslayer with decades of experience, and a partial Hellhound?

>and literally have power over a Dragons life in a series of events that is literally a guided tour of a theme park to show you said "most epic" moments while making it hardly seem more extraordinary or threatening than the insect spirits, which were actually improved by the big boys having concerns about them.
Damn man you're totally right. The flux state being half burned down, the threat of a rampaging Dragon, a serial-killer AI which murdered several characters and drove the head of the biggest German information broker ring into hiding, the secretive radioactove cult, all of that seemed like no threat at all and the team never, ever talked about how utterly fucked they were if they messed up or how they only had a slim chance to survive even if everything went perfectly. Its also certainly not the case that its the only game in the series where two of your teammates are guarenteed to die no matter what you do to drive home how high the stakes are.
It definitely dudn't feel a massive amount more dicey than Returns did.

>They did a shit job of representing what it feels like to play Shadowrun and instead showed you whats its like playing a "me"-focussed singleplayer game specifically like Mass Effect in the Shadowrun setting

So really your issue is that you're just a winy bitch upset that the campaign wasn't literally on the same level as a normal campaign of the tabletop would be? Okay.
>>
>>54533886
Copied the tats for my P&P character, never brought her or any other mercenary on a run.
She any good skill-wise?
>>
>>54534071
>You mean the team of snowflakes
Yes.

>It definitely dudn't feel a massive amount more dicey than Returns did.
Considering none of the actual big powers hooked up with you to sort it out, no.

>upset that the campaign wasn't literally on the same level as a normal campaign of the tabletop would be
Yes.
>>
>>54534103

It was basically a Prime Runner campaign. All the characters were experienced veterans with a lot of history under their belt. Not jumped up ex-gangers with rusty pistols.
>>
>>54534103
>waaaah its annoying how unrealistic it is for your team of weak nobodies in Dragonfall to do what they do
>oh also isn't it real annoying how they're all really powerful snowflakes so outside the norm if the tabletop? Ugh.

Nice consistency m8
>>
>>54534070
>being contacted by the clown because you have the opportunity to help him prevent something he actively tries to prevent
Yep.

>Universal Brotherhood
Yeah that one was fuckin dumb.

But:
>Deciding whether or not that super AI gets to be out and about in the world, i.e. having power over its fate
and
>Having power over a dragons fate
Mmhmm.
>>
>>54534160
I didn't call them weak nobodies, I called them normal in the sense that their insight into the grand, and I really mean the grand scheme of things is basically still street level, not like, you know, all the individuals or groups that have either existed for centuries or have information networks all over the world or have knowledge of a vast amount of secrets and lore or all of the above.
>>
>>54534161

So basically 'Players can't actually have campaigns that affect the world in any way'? Have you ever READ a cyberpunk novel? Some shit goes down in those beyond the scope of a couple of streets.
>>
>>54534184
They can, but Dragonfall literally didn't. It was just there to be a "trailer moment" and then disappeared forever, while also being highly atypical.
>>
>>54534103

>team of snowflakes.

Man, they do not even come close to the sort of snowflakes I've seen in actual games.

I mean, none of them were even 'Tir Ghost' level snowflakey.
>>
>>54534211
Just how snowflakey are those guys?
>>
>>54534103
>none of the actual big powers hooked up with you to sort it out
Today we learned Lofwyr isn't an actual big power.

Thanks, Anon!
>>
>>54534076
Ok, if you wanted more firepower.
>>
>>54534192

Trailer Moment? Releasing APEX and giving it the dragon body or releasing the toxin that kills all dragons utterly change the world from how it goes in canon.
>>
>>54534226
>from how it goes in canon.
Mmhmm. As in it's just in the game to be cool, it's not actually having a campaign that influences the world because when brass tacks are down actually allowing that story to happen in the real setting would be dumb, so it doesn't.
>>
>>54534222
Eh, I don't agree with that guy but the only thing Lofwyr did was give Winters the manor's location. Dragonfall was just you doing you. If you failed or gave up I'm sure he would've sent his own guys to fuck Vaulclair over.
>>
>>54533886
>Muh Tragic cybered up with old tech to escape the Devil

>Muh soldier whose team was betrayed

>Muh old man who wants a final fight to appease his god.

>*Yawn*

Lucky was the only character that felt Shadowrunny.
>>
>>54534250
Sure, but we didn't fail so he didn't need to. And that's the whole point of his talk at the end of the game, he doesn't want to commit more resources to a problem than he needs to, and judged the Dragonfall team sufficient (with a nudge in the right direction.)
>>
>>54534259
In Hong Kong I was actually hype when I first saw what I thought was the runner team you were hanging with because they all looked proper shadowrunny and stuff. Then they immediately get gunned down.
>>
>>54534259
>Shadowrunny
What, needlessly abrasive for no reason at all?
>>
>>54534218

>Chinese Wolf Shifter Adept who's life goal was to emulate the Monkey King and erase her name from the book of the dead during an astral quest.
>Daughter of Tir Na Nog nobility Mage who ran away from home and is mostly trading on raw power, no experience.
>A clone of said noble (In the same game) augged up as a rigger.
>Rigger Technomancer Weeb who's convinced he's a newtype because of how well he pilots.
>>
>>54534301
Clone of a character in the same game is pretty good.
>>
>>54534301
Cringe.
>>
>>54534247

Wait...so you want the Video games to change the RPG setting? They can't really do that AND give you options of any sort.
>>
>>54534311

Was more entertaining as the original didn't even know she had a clone (Her parents had sold the rights to her DNA to a corp without her knowing). The first line out of the mage's mouth was 'The fuck is going on?' when she met the other team members.
>>
>>54534282
His "ALL ACCORDING TO KEIKAKU" after the end of a good interesting conversation annoyed me but hey, how would he not know what's going on in what is essentially his territory?
>>
>>54534314

Honestly, even those are pretty low on the Shadowrun PC Snowflake chart. Not a single infected, AI, free spirit or drake.
>>
>>54534315
>They can't really do that AND give you options of any sort.
I thought Baldur's Gate did a good job of it.

>Wait...so you want the Video games to change the RPG setting?
No, but that guy complained saying I didn't want people to be able to have campaigns that impact the setting, and that's not true, but Dragonfall was merely a sham of that that didn't actually do anything of the like. If it had done it I still would dislike it because changing the setting or your surroundings should be a matter of conscious effort and decision you work towards, whereas Dragonfall was massively impactful things falling into your lap, over and over and over again. I care more about my donations and investments to the general area and flux state than about Apex and Feuerschwinge and shit.
>>
File: Wimpdrones.png (50KB, 300x151px) Image search: [Google]
Wimpdrones.png
50KB, 300x151px
>>54534301
>A clone of said noble (In the same game) augged up as a rigger.
>Clone rigger
Was he surprised when he found he was a Drone himself?
>>
>>54534347

>If it had done it I still would dislike it because changing the setting or your surroundings should be a matter of conscious effort and decision you work towards, whereas Dragonfall was massively impactful things falling into your lap, over and over and over again.

You literally spend the entire campaign working out what APEX is and how you can deal with it. It's the impetus of the entire campaign and the culmination of all the favors and deals you did.
>>
>>54534372

Wimps are a specific sort of clone. Forced-growth full-body clones for organ transplants.
>>
>>54534420
Used to culture peoples bioware aswell, no?
>>
>>54530906
>post links on the same line

This triggers me fucking hard omae. Stop doing that or I'm gonna bust some Ex-Ex directly into your anus.
>>
>>54534435

Yeah, that too. They are not the only sorts of clones in shadowrun, just by far the most common as you can get a non-brain (And thus no pesky moral issues/rights) clone in a couple of months.
>>
>>54534435
Nah, bioware is vat-grown specifically. Wimps are just replacement parts for the rich
>>
>>54534449

Right, >>54534446 here. My bad on that one.
>>
>>54534103

What would you consider a 'Normal' group if 'Ex-Military' is too snowflake?
>>
>>54534479
Eiger is actually fine.
>>
File: Dab.png (2KB, 66x31px) Image search: [Google]
Dab.png
2KB, 66x31px
>>54534507
This.
Eiger was properly set in lore, had a realistic and touching background and I rather enjoyed her personal quest. Apart from that, she's also credit to team.
>>
>>54534507
So ex special forces is fine, but not a burnout?
>>
>>54534552
Glory's a lot more out there than just "a burnout".
>>
>>54534552
What's the issue with Glory? i like her.
>>
>>54534577
Glory is what you get when an emo-goth gets to make her own Shadowrunner. Uber-snowflakey and plays the "Woe is me" card too often.
>>
>>54534607
She literally never plays the "Woe is me" card.
>>
>>54534607

Her backstory is basically just 'Escaped a creepy cult: Shadowrun edition'
>>
>>54534607
She barely talks to you if you don't go out of your way to make her. She functions, just as a highly cybered individual does.

What would you have prefered for your video game needs? A group made up of an elven face, an Ork Samurai, a dwarven decker and a human main character all living the runner lifestyle just for the money? Go play Icewind Dale if that is what you want, I'll be over here chilling with the interesting crowd.
>>
>>54534653

I dunno, elf face sounds a bit mary sue for this.
>>
>>54534678
Heh. Replace it with elven mage for even more cookie-cutter "GM said no fun allowed" style play.
>>
>>54534701
Yeah I mean who wants to experience the setting by exploring its norms rather than just making things that are extreme outliers to it.
>>
>>54534734

Good point. We'll have to remember that. Keep it cookie cutter for the first game and you can get weird in the sequels.
>>
>>54534653
So you need to be some weird fringe case to be an interesting character? Maybe you could just have that Ork Samurai be an interesting person with an interesting personality.
>>
>>54534755

Why not both? Being not a generic shadowrunner doesn't make someone not a potentially interesting character. The games should also show the sheer range of Shadowrun, not just the common stuff.

I mean, it's a setting where 'I'll go on a vision quest to ask Satan for help' is legitimately a solution to some problems.
>>
>>54530213
>Friend doesn't want to play anymore because he hates the setting
Well now I'm down to two players.
>>
>>54534734
Thing is that Shadowrun is a system of extreme outliers. It's the whole idea of Cyberpunk as a genre. You have extremes in rich and poor, you have people living in golden towers with robots serving their every whim while you can find people eating rats in the same tower. Reality as such doesn't exist anymore, since almost everyone is living in AR with constant bombardment of highly personalized ads.

Add to that the fact that video games are not P&P, they are, in this case at least, a one player interactive narrative medium. You want to be entertained for your money, same as you would want to be entertained by a book. Making the team members be outliers in society while still teaching you a lot about how society works is a good way to go about it.

Glory for example - It is not uncommon for kids to end up on the streets in the sixth. It is also not uncommon for people to prey on those, and a cult dedicated to the Antagonist seems right up there with Shadowrun lore. Having her be a burnout does a great job of explaining the dangers of Cyberware and it's effects on magic to a new player. Her character also introduces you to the aforementioned situations with dark cults and other entities preying on the weak and you get to do a little good in the world by following her personal quest.

Would I allow a Glory-like character at my table? Doubtly, not impossible, but i'd rather not. But as a video game character she does a great job of explaining large parts of the world to you by being an outlier that somehow joined your team.
>>
>>54534806
I can safely say I was a lot more entertained by Returns than by Dragonfall at the very least. Dragonfall. Hong Kong was a mixed bag. Honestly didn't like any of the characters in it.
>>
>>54534894
Hong Kong was the only one where I legitimately hated a squadmate.

Fuck Is0bel.
>>
>>54534894
And that's fine. But the criticism of Glory being a mary-sue woe-is-me character isn't. Same with Eiger, Blitz or the Punk dude.

Apart form the Punk dude, all of these characters have clearly been written to have been in contact with multiple aspects of the lore before meeting you through some story. This is a great way to have your group teach you something about the world, since your companions have been part of this world.

Now if Eiger had told you some stuff about growing up on Mars while Glory sulks about how she was a blood mage that entered a spirit pact with a Shedim, that would`ve been bullshit - Barely any informations about the setting your are playing in and lore-breaking stuff.
>>
>>54534935
Word.
>>
>>54534894
>>54534935
HK was the best of them but some of the characters were.... not badly written but not written for enjoyableness? Succeeded at being shit as intended. The weird ones like Racter and Gaichu were surprisingly interesting but not pleasant. Gobbet was adorable but also disgusting. Duncan was just a brother with family fighting shit built in, not a bad character just.... fuck that guy. Nothing was exactly pleasant.
>>
>>54534935
Jesus fucking Christ was that stupid bitch just awful. She left her family to die, had a good friend of hers take away her memories of all the awful shit that happened in the walled city, turned on her friend for some petty shit, throws a tantrum when she figures out he got accepted into the VIP are of Deckcon, and potentially chimps out of living with her memories. She's a child in an adult's body.
>>
>>54535038
Honestly, HK is tied with Returns. They traded good short exposition for better combat but horrible frequent monologues. I liked Duncan the more I played the game and chose different dialogue options to find out more about him. Did you know that he's gay and worked as a stripper once?
>>
>>54535065
Yes.

I get the feeling she was intended to be written as the stereotypical computer geek with no social skills or any serious foresight whatsoever.
>>
>>54535139
Returns is far far far below even Dragonfall. At least they attempted to make the UGC a thing so they could justify the abomination main campaign but that's as dead as ever.
>>
>>54535201
That's just on the surface, below her exterior social ineptness she's completely fucking awful. Sure she had reasons and stuff but the result was that she was a cunt and didn't know why and that made her more of a cunt.
>>
'Aight let's rank the HBS games from best to worst.

Dragonfall, Hong Kong, and Returns.
>>
>>54535231
>>54535139
For me its Returns > HK > DF
And then theres this Shadowrun Chronicles game no one played, right?

Also Genesis Shadowrun > SNES Shadowrun.
>>
>>54535282
You have shit taste, my friend.
>>
>>54535282
HK>DF>Genesis>SNES>Returns

And yeah no idea what the Chronicles is, are they actually licensed or did they double license vidya rights to people or what?
>>
>>54535139
>Did you know that he's gay
Now that's how you write a gay character. Where there's a high probability you don't even notice.
>>
>>54535139
Duncan was a bro, true. Glad they let you have the option of a proper happy ending with him even if the setup for it was clunky.

>>54535038
I actually straight up liked Gobbet and Gaichu, unconditionally. Racter was an interesting character but I felt obligated to be nice to him to avoid having him talk down to me since it gave you no chance to end any conversation with him involving a disagreement with you coming out on top, it was always just him getting pissed and making you seem a fool.

>>54535065
She's literally a child. Her and Gobbet are in their late teens iirc.

But yeah, fuck her. I didn't even mind her ditching her parents since it was justified enough for me to give it a pass, but her beginning every conversation annoyed with you for approaching her, the way she treats her old friend, the way she mentally tortures a dude in the matrix for shitposting, her constant jealousy/insecurity, and more all made me fucking hate her.

Fuck, I bet she even killed that cat. She's petty and self-centered enough for it.
>>
Returns felt meandering with very few memorable missions. It might've been good at being shadowrun but it was a shit game.

Dragonfall's missions felt more EXTREEEME, which isnt good, it isn't bad, but it showed new players (like me at the time) more interesting and higher power parts of the setting. The ending jumped the shark, but the Sharknado of the main game was super engrossing.
>>
>>54535347
Yeah, I loved Gobbet but still gross as hell. Great character. Racter was just that sort of.... self righteous dick who demands you live up to his standards of you and all that shit would inevitably lead you to raelize his weird nihilistic goals. Very very well written character interaction/story with no possible good conclusion.
>>
>>54535282
For me I think its something like.
>Main story
Dragonfall > Hong Kong > Returns

>Side missions
Returns = Hong Kong > Dragonfall

Tbqh the Shadows of Hong Kong actually made me lower it for the main story and up it for the missions too. The central plot is fucking stupidly railroaded and the ending too restrictive, but fuck me the mission with the 'little girl' was great.
>>
>>54535332
It's when you have the conversation about him and Raymond having one of their first big fights. The dialogue option was something about dating before graduating and he mentioned that the fight happened before he met David.
>>
>>54535405
shadows of hong kong is the extended DLC side missions? That stuff..... got extremely retardedly difficult. I don't even know what the fuck to say about that shit.
>100 to 1 odds
>Every squad of enemies has that cyberware that throws grenades back at you
>snipers spawning everywhere
Welp.
>>
>>54535347
>Duncan
He was really good but then Shadows of Hong Kong made him be pissy about his SIN again
>Is0bel
She was incredibly awful to the point I rerolled into a decker just so I wouldn't have to bring her everywhere.
>>
>>54535442
That's the problem with how DF and HK handled it: if you didn't like the characters they wrote and pushed on you you were stuck. Returns still had enjoyable people like Coyote but you weren't stuck with 'em.
>>
>>54535457
Uh... no? The main characters arguably had the better stats/loadout but I don't think there were many cases where you were stuck with any of them. It's been a while since I dragonfall'd so maybe less optional there but I'm pretty sure they always had hireling guys available.
>>
>>54535481
I mean stuck with them in terms of being forced to interact with them as part of the main plot, and having them involved in it. Also missing out on a lot of stuff if you don't bring them.

I felt like Coyote still had enough plot tie-in, too.
>>
>>54535481
Ackshully the term is "Dragonfell".
>>
>>54535429
I dunno how but I thought it was still fairly easy, with:
>My ork melee adept
>Duncan
>Is0bel (ugh)
>Gobbet

Though I raided the Tiger's Den for gear early
>>
>>54530213
>Where do you eat to celebrate a successful run?
The highest-class restaurant we can afford. The exclusive kind. The kind where the menus don't have prices because if you have to ask, you can't afford it. Nothing gets my jollies like watching all those stuck-up, ignorant exec fuckers twist up in anger and disgust over proof that any of their gold-plated feeding troughs can be bought into by a hobo who found a credstick in the streets. Honestly, the food isn't even half as good if I can't bathe in rich jeers while I'm eating it.
>>
>>54535501
I went 100% asshole and tried to face 2 factions in that one street fight outside the skyscraper. It did not go well for me.
>>
>>54535518
Multi-track drifting is for Tokyo, not Hong Kong.
>>
Has anyone made a no-nonsense ruleset for 5e? Part of the issue with the rulebook is paragraphs upon paragraphs of flavor: great for world building, a pain in the ass for learning the rules. I'm considering trying to scribe something but if it already exists...
>>
>>54535518
Oh, yeah, that was a bit dicey. I brought quite a few revival packs with me into it so I mostly got through by kamikazi charging one side to busy them up while my team dealt with the rest.

It helped that I got the freelancer on my side too.
>>
>tfw no game will ever give me the rush of being a monofiliment whip wielding, magic-slinging Dwarf street samurai ever again

There's something insanely satisfying about cracking a Troll heavy gunner's armour then blitzing him to death in one turn.
>>
So I know a lot of people hate changelings for being snowflakey but frankly I like the whole one of a kind, community of freaks thing. I just wish they'd handled it more like mutants in WH40K and X-men where they're relatively well known and disliked rather than RARE AND MYSTERIOUS
>>
>>54535647
WH40k also handled it well where mutants such as Navigators are among the highest nobility of the Imperium because of their abilities and as such you don't just have mutants being an oppressed lower class kind of deal.
>>
>>54535683
Frankly the thing I dislike most about changelings in Shadowrun is how rare they are. The whole 'Most people go their whole life without meeting one' thing doesn't add anything to lore other than make them come across as even snowflakier than they are
>>
>>54535647
But they are relatively well known and disliked. And a lot of them bunch together and dislike normies.
There's nothing mysterious about freaks but no one is trying to put them in camps (anymore).
>>
>>54534372
The core assumption on rigging wimps is that you have to rig through the wimp brain. No talk on replacing it, no working around it. Which is stupid.
>>
>>54535755
Certainly not camps, but a rare or new mutation is going to get you kidnapped and examined.

Hell in one of my games, SK is running trials on inducing SURGE mutations. The end game in our game is about prepping for a raid on the black site that has our pre and post SURGE genetic information to be free again.
>>
>>54535588
Theres the 5e Superbook, but I think it needs updating for new books and such. If you want to work on your Scribe skills you could update it.
>>
>>54535954
I hope its in Bielefeld.
>>
Can someone parse this for me, please?
Every time you use an addictive substance during (11
— Addiction Rating) weeks in a row, you need to make an
Addiction Test. The clock on this keeps ticking even if you
skip a week, but every week you go without indulging
reduces the Addiction Threshold by 1 (it returns to normal
when you use again). If the threshold hits 0, you’re off the
hook until you use the substance again. This means that
substances with high Addiction ratings (like kamikaze)
could get you hooked in a single dose.

I'm trying to understand when a test will come up. As I understand it, Soykaf with a rating of 1 would mean that within 10 weeks if you have a drink twice you have to make a test and that feels wrong.
>>
>>54533506
Wolves kill to survive.

Ferals kill for sport. Downside to domestication is that we impart a little bit of ourselves into the animal, and that includes shit like cruelty.
>>
>>54535588

There is one on the pastebin i believe.
>>
>>54536561
You make the first addiction test (11-addiction rating) weeks after you take a drugs.

The amount of hits you need on that test is (Addiction Treshold) - (#weeks you stayed clean until the LAST time you took that drug). If that number is 0 or less you auto-pass.

So, yes, Soykaf is a very dangerous substance in the Sixth World.
>>
>>54536786
The dumbest one is focus addiction, which goes off the number of Active foci, not Bound foci. You can turn off foci as a free action and they will not be active.
>>
>>54537072
Eh, I can kinda understand that one. Being bound just means that it's keyed to your aura and ready to be used, not that it actually has any active connection to your aura. You could place one in a bunker and go to mars and it'd be still bound. Meanwhile being active means it directly interferes with your aura.
So yeah, deactivating a focus takes a free action. So does not taking drugs.
If you use your focus for like ten minutes and then deactivate it for the week then you have still used it, just like it counts when you just take a small snort of novacoke. You use it, you roll addiction
>>
>>54537194
The problem is figuring out after how many weeks you roll the addiction when the rating dictating it is constantly in flux.
>>
>>54536597

t. Karen Davies
>>
Is 2nd ed worth getting into?
It's the only one translated to my native language.
>>
>>54537317
>my native language
which is?

Also:
>Is 2nd ed worth getting into?
If you like old-school Cyberpunk? Definitely
>>
>>54537317
I think you might know how to speak english.
>>
>>54536786
Addiction rules are fucked. I think you're better off coming up with rp reasons and appropriate consequences than actually using the book.
>>
>>54537225
I thought I first read that sentiment in a Pratchett book.
>>
>>54537383
>Addiction rules are fucked
Yeah, to come back to foci again: you can bind Magic x 5 force worth of foci, and char gen availability lets you access several force 3 and 4 foci types.

So you can start the game having 12 or more combined force in foci, which may all be active at the same time.

Addiction test is 11-x where X is active foci force... so 11 -12 .... meaning you roll addiction every -1 weeks, or infinitely recurring instantly until you have lost all your stats to burnout, I guess.

Now you might say "that just means youre meant to keep how many you have active at the same time super low", but the blurb about focus addiction in the foci section even says the addiction isn't even a problem until you have more than your magic in force on you, implying (but of course not putting it down as an actual rule, as this is CGL) that you're actually meant to be quite high in force before this addiction is even meant to come into play.
>>
>>54534443 >>54532622
You've convinced me to try doing it too.
>>
Are Dwarves/metavariants 'better' at anything other than willpower tanking?
>>
>>54535442
I fucking hate how he loves being a shadowrunner after getting used to it but then jumps off the moment you pass up the chance to get SINs.
>>
>>54537744
Fuck
>>54537744
You
>>54537744
>>54537744
>>54537744
>>54537744
FUCK
YOU
>>
>>54537927
Did he ever really love it? I thought he just got used to it and learned to enjoy the work.

Might be wrong though, its been two years.
>>
>>54537979
He's always been a slave to his impulses, he orks it up anywhere he goes. He can't help but be violent and indiscriminate even though thanks to daddy he knows it's Wrong.
>>
>>54537979
His post-mission conversations always seem to have him reminiscing about the old days and how nostalgic it feels to be a badass criminal again.
>>
>>54532091
Several do, its just not everyone has the SMC telling them how to do it, so no one else is nearly as good as AzTech.
>>
>>54533686
Publicly they don't engage in any human sacrifice, but, well every once in a while they have some excellent religious reasons why they need to knife someone on a cold stone slab somewhere in the basement of a pyramid and so they do it, quite like, so the sun will keep burning or whatever.
>>
>>54533318
Returns: Human Decker/Rigger
Dragonfall: Elf Decker/Rigger
Hong Kong: Ork Decker/Rigger
>>
>>54537748
Hanuman are monkeys so they make good like classic break in guys

Gnomes are literally pedophile bait
>>
>>54538639
Lame
>>
File: IMG_1630.jpg (206KB, 962x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1630.jpg
206KB, 962x1200px
>>54538639
Returns: Elven Shaman - because the Haste spell was godly in Returns

Hong Kong: Human Decker/Samurai - because mono whips were cool and I didn't want isobel on my team.

Dragonfall: never got around to finishing it. Need recommendations. Thinking about a Troll or Dwarf adept.
>>
>>54537225
I got it from Witcher 3, White Orchard, the hunter that takes you to the massacred Nilfgardians.
>>
>>54539324
Dragonfall probably has the best balance between the archtypes, with deckers being good enough and integral enough to the story to justify having your decker and an NPC decker, and pretty much everything works alright except for rigger and to some extent adept.
>>
File: bYdW42a.jpg (64KB, 625x685px) Image search: [Google]
bYdW42a.jpg
64KB, 625x685px
>>54538929
Can confirm, played a Gnome who was former porn actress whose career was destroyed when she was accused of pandering to pedophiles. Her triggers were being mistaken for a child and actual pedophiles. These triggers came up more than once.
>>
>>54537748
I'm kinda with you on this one. I don't understand why elves are cheaper than dwarves when they get as many attribute increases with no maximum decreases. I think elves should cost as much as orks and dwarves should cost the least.
>>
>>54539467

Orks get a lot more stat boosts than dwarves/elves and stat cap decreases are a lot less valuable than stat boosts as they only hinder your maximum potential, rather than decreasing your score.

Elves are generally the cheapest because their stat boosts are less valuable. There is literally no one who doesn't like +Bod and +Willpower but +Charisma is a lot more situational/less powerful. Shadowrun has some stat inbalances there.
>>
>>54539590
There is also the fact that total stat boosts are higher, especially on trolls.

Trolls would be nearly impossible to bring down in priority because they are essentially a PC who has a stacking +3/+4 in a bunch of stats.

The real trick to playing an ork, dwarf, or troll is to be really cognisant that despite your diminished resources, you ARE buying something of value and you need to play around what you are buying around to SOME degree (You don't need every troll to be a samurai, but you do want every troll to use the str and body gains to soak really well) and internalize you have to give something up for that power no one else will ever get to have.

Basically playing a troll or dwarf is a long game. Playing an ork CAN be a long game, or you can just use their stats to lower atts a bit and basically be a weird looking elf.
>>
>>54539660
Fair I guess. It's a little ironic that the long term strong characters are also the ones who only live to 40.
>>
>>54539799
Yeah.

Also it is important to remember that there is some unfairness with the CRB gen rules and high race types because you don't have the flexibility to raise one thing to drop another, everything has to fit in very specific slots so giving up your C is actually surprisingly more painful than one would think, and makes some concepts like awakened trolls a nightmare.

Sum to 10 does make PCs overall much more powerful, but it does a good job of making somethings with really complex and impossible priority arrangements significantly stronger. Weird trog archtypes gain more from S-10 than human or elf ones do.
>>
>>54533680
And if you decide to turn her down after the fact, then she contacts you in the epilogue and promises to make your continued existence a living hell.

As my first experience in the Shadowrun world, I now have a /very/ healthy respect for AI.
All the more so given I was playing a decker/rigger combo, and the game effectively told me, "so yeah, you have to rip out your cybernetics and continue living life as a hermit. Shit was pretty fucked.
>>
Hey, I'm planning on playing a troll in 4e, and I'm curious, is there metatype reduction surgeries in this edition, and if so, where are they? It's been awhile since I've touched it, so I'm not entirely sure.
>>
>>54540029
The railroad is real
>>
>>54540086
I mean, it was literally the last thing the game told me, so I'd call it less of a railroad and more of a [BAD END].
>>
>>54540156
i guess it carries less weight in the vidya, but yeah. fuck AI, fuck Dragons.
>>
We still don't have SOTA ADL? I wish I had the bucks to buy it :/
>>
>>54540224
Everyone who bought it is afraid/unable to scrub and post it for Hatefish, and everyone else is too cheap to do it themselves.
>>
>>54540224
well /srg/ is putting its money(or lack of it) where their mouth is and buy pegasus books but pirate CGL ones
That and Germans can't into scrubing
>>
>>54533318
>Returns: Double drone dwarf
AKA easy-mode. Except for the end, where the game didn't let me give the bug-zapper to Coyote.
>Dragonfall: Unarmed human adept with a couple of cyber limbs
I was worried this one wouldn't at first, but I got around the long cooldowns by focusing on passive adept powers and letting Dietrich cast the spells.
>Hong Kong: Ork decker with a grenade launcher
At first I was sad to see that Is0bel was the exact same build and had a better kit, but then I never took her on runs because she was an insufferable child, so it worked out.
>>
Speaking of SOTA AGL, are the other German books translated?
>>
>>54540328
I'm ok with this.
>>
>>54536561
For soykaf, if you took a hit every other week for ten weeks, you'd have to make a test. Note that if at any point you went more than a week without a hit of soykaf, you're off the hook and the ten week counter starts all over.

>>54537216
The simplest answer is to use the highest number it was at some point. The best answer would probably involve some kind of weighted average based on karma.

>>54537523
I feel like it talks about units of weeks is just for that, so that if you had 12 force and it was over magic you'd be making a test every week and not every possible unit of time.

It's just that the addiction isn't based over how much you're over because you already went over safe and now it's all counting. Like how if you take an overdose of something the harm isn't just from the over amount.
>>
>Finally find a group where I can stop being foreverGM
>Play for a few rounds
>Get asked to GM for one session
>Oblige
>Now get asked to GM again

How do I stop this vicious cycle?
>>
>>54531449

A low lifestyle is fine if no one is hunting for you because let me tell you Chummer. Bugging out in a ass end of town means shitheads that can bribed will be bribed to sell you ass out and even ambush you at your coffin pod.
>>
>>54542906
Don't agree to GM
>>
>>54542999
I hate saying no -.-
Gotta man up
>>
>>54533664

And from a company that doesnt specialize in AI. I will let Renraku take care of Apex eventually.
>>
>>54543155
Yeah just be candid and say you are down to GM again in the future but don't wanna GM twice in a row. Maybe propose an *official* cycle.
>>
You guys have any good sources for Cyberpunk battlemaps? Ive searched for cyberpunk, interface zero, shadowrun ect ect battlemaps and haven't found anything really that good.
>>
>friend starts an SR group, finally
>session 1 at the table, we're waiting for the last player to arrive
>other players didn't give me much info on their characters, so I look at the guy next to me's character sheet
>troll melee street sam with incompetent (stealth), superhuman psychosis, and uncouth
>a little scared but figure things can't be too bad, I know and trust the GM
>look at player on my other side's character sheet
>toxic shaman with superhuman psychosis, prototype transhuman, and quasimodo. He also initiated in chargen
>look at my phone and tell GM something came up and I have to go
>later tell him I can't come back

Back to theorycrafting I guess.
>>
>>54544602
I would have given them one session, but your instincts were probably on point regardless.
>>
>>54544462
Make your own in Visio.
>>
>>54544602
And I guess the GM was shit too?
>>
>>54545164
>I know and trust the GM
You tell me, detective.
>>
>>54545787
Doesn't sound like you trusted the GM to sort things out.
>>
Alright, I don't know how many of you regularly lurk the Shadowcasters Disocrd where Bull's writer hangs out, but I just ran in, unloaded a bunch of thing about the new book that are stupid, mentioned the new name for TCT, and said CFD is a writer's backspace, and left. I'm also the mania stage of sleep deprivation, so this was probably a horrible idea.
>>
Man, it's weird living in an era where real technology is outpacing shadowrun in usability and power.
>>
>>54545929
If real life technology is so great then how come the cyberarms aren't cooler? Checkmate, fucker.
>>
>>54545957
Are you kidding? We have materials with no rejection, and infinite implantations with no essence penalty.

Also the military discontinued the rocket fuel powered robot arms because they were too noisy and way too cool.
>>
>>54545929
Still ain't seeing cool bone density or orthoskin RL. Waiting with baited breath, though.
>>
>>54545997
>infinite implantations with no essence penalty.
Because we don't have souls.
>>
>>54545823
I didn't trust in his ability to sort through all that. Or, more accurately, I trusted he would, but by the time he did it would be too late.
>>
>>54546208
Another technological advantage we have.
>>
File: MyFaceMySoul.jpg (86KB, 1024x689px) Image search: [Google]
MyFaceMySoul.jpg
86KB, 1024x689px
>>54546208
>tfw
>>
What have been some of the most emotional moments in your guys' campaigns?
>>
>>54545929
>>54545957
>>54545997

To be fair; SR's writers have no fucking feeling for the own tech they put into the setting
>>
>>54546189
Those will never happen outside of hobbyist circles.
>>
>>54546309
>hobbyist circles
Like shadowrunners?
>>
>>54531556
This is a pretty cool cover.
>>
>>54546421
Are you kiddin'? They don't want something high profile like gene mods and bio work.
>>
What are some interesting things to do in an HRT/LoneStar themed campaign, instead of a shadowrunner campaign?
>>
>>54546555
Slice of life scenes in the police station.
>>
File: tumblr_inline_mwmxvc2l1q1qz5q5l.gif (927KB, 410x282px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_mwmxvc2l1q1qz5q5l.gif
927KB, 410x282px
>>54546231
So you didn't think he could handle it. Because you think that he's shit enough that he wouldn't be able to handle it up front, but would waste your valuable time, so instead you told your friend to go fuck himself and left him with people you yourself wouldn't play with.
>>
>>54546555
Be public about who you are. Have friends, enemies, contacts, family, a reputation that goes with the uniform in the community.
>>
>>54546648
Yes. Gotta look out for numero uno, you know? Besides, I made it up to him later.
>>
>>54546246
The runner's girlfriend nearly got herself killed when she ended up on the wrong end of some nasty magic while trying to help with a job. Had blood seeping out of every orifice and pore. It was a pretty grisly scene. While the street doc was trying to save her life, the runner could only watch helplessly. The girl managed to stabilize and made it through the night but everyone was pretty much prepared for the worst. What would have been a moderately emotional scene turned into near waterworks as the runner and her gf (a couple whose relationship was mostly physical up until this point) finally told each other how much they really cared.
>>
>>54546790
>I made it up to him later.
Ah, the ol' Vietnamese Kiss.
>>
How soon after I make a character reliant on gas attacks will the GM make all characters immune to gas attacks?
>>
>>54547161
He might not make them all immune, but he'll start using gas attacks back at you, and then everything goes to shit.
>>
>>54547187
Better gas than chunky salsa rules
>>
>>54547161
You get introduced to a several runs long storyline against some toxic cultists that all wield gas attacks, use gasmasks and has immunity to pathogens & toxins. Have fun.
>>
>>54547227
Either way kills you dead. At least the guy with the frag grenades isn't saying he's nonlethal, unlike the tear gas and other shit that will be used against you legitimatepy but will murder you with overflow.
>>
>>54547187
>>54547243
it sucks, because I would really like to use a character with chem smokers and a gas gimmick, but man the mutually assured destruction when the GM starts firing back in kind is going to be awful.
>>
>>54547266
We tend to ignore the overflow rules on that shit, otherwise our moralfag pink mohawk team would genocide every civilian-infused area they came across with LTL gear, which is stupid.
>>
File: nNUDuXe.jpg (163KB, 1335x598px) Image search: [Google]
nNUDuXe.jpg
163KB, 1335x598px
>>54547161
Expect HTR to come equipped with chemseals.
Maybe on mooks too, if your GM plays loose with internal consistency.
>>
>>54547296
EnterElysium probably should have done that for his Roll4It campaign, given Steejo *burst fired an EBR loaded with gel rounds at a ~50 year old civilian, straight down, at a 3 meter distance, and nearly killed her.*

Ended up as paralysis because another player ran like hell to help her with a Rating 6 medkit
>>
>>54547361
He's kind of a dick GM.
And his two best players are leaving.
I might not watch after that.
>>
>>54534070
So it's not Shadowrun, but Neon Chrome is a top down shooter set in an arcology that has been locked down by a murderous AI. Pretty fun game imo.
>>
>>54546281
That's because they didn't put it into the setting. Most of what exists in Shadowrun now is regurgitating what existed before CGL, with a handful of new ideas and a pile of adjustments.
>>
File: SR-GM-Screen-1920x1080.jpg (709KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
SR-GM-Screen-1920x1080.jpg
709KB, 1920x1080px
Is it possible to mix blood magic and toxic shamanism? I want the terrorists my players are gonna be running against to be REALLY tough, and i figured thats the best way to do so.

Also, am I the only one whos actually kinda intrigued that CGL is starting to kinda normalizing blood magic?
>>
>>54548010
Just have them be capable of casting blood magic and being a toxic shaman.
>>
Hm.
>>
>>54548810

...Considering every other book to 'clarify and revise' has been such a STUNNING success...

We're so fucked. Thank God we're not gonna pay for that shit.
>>
>>54548918
I mean Forbidden Arcana was pretty good.
Maybe these will too.
>>
File: Duality.gif (2MB, 329x422px) Image search: [Google]
Duality.gif
2MB, 329x422px
Would a ludicrously powerful MysAd using both Toxic and Blood Magic work as a Sauron-esque antagonist?
I want to impart some kind of urgency on the players by playing up the hellfire motifs, and maybe allude to them being time-displaced from the Fourth World
>>
>>54548940

Yeah, except it reduced the bounty on blood mages for REASONS. And apparently it's TOTALLY KEWL NOW GAIZ.
>>
>>54548968
I mean ive always played fast and loose with the setting, and the opening of new options to players is always a good thing in my eyes.
I do draw the line at toxic mages though.
>>
>>54548959
What are they aiming for?
>>
>>54548968
>Yeah, except it reduced the bounty on blood mages for REASONS
Yes, reasons. Like a sudden upswing in the number of blood mages making the previously very high bounty untenable to offer.
>>
>>54549242
Yes, reasons. The upswing in blood mages is an asspull for some writer's snowflake blood mage to be playable.

Watch out for new jackpointers.
>>
>>54549204
Something along the lines of blowing North America to hell and ruling whatever emerges from the ashes.
>>
>>54549271
Are you being employed by Aztechnology to do the job or did you just stumble onto him by accident?
>>
>>54548959
>>54549271
Sauron-esque not really. Both of those paths are such that they unquestionably end in personal disaster and madness.

Generally I see three main paths into both of these
>Uncontrolled lust for power
>An unfounded sense of being "the one"
>Madness
A minimum of two of these I would see as a requirement to combine the two and ignore the fact that it taints your aura forever, leads you to cause irreparable damage to the very thing that fuels your power and destroys your sanity.

If that NPC has become ludicrously powerful, he probably looks like a walking, talking atom bomb in the astral sphere. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a constant posse of hungry spirits lurking around, waiting for him to slip up to devour that delicious soul of his.

Off the top of my head, it would work for a character that went mad at some point and decided to "BURN IT ALL DOWN". Tough to master, but if done well it can offer a rare, truly evil, antagonist for the group. Just don't go too overboard with him or make him too important for too long, Cyberpunk is about shades of grey and from personal experience I can assure you that it is a lot harder to restore that feeling than to destroy it with black and white characters.
>>
>>54549242
>Illuminati are out of funds
Sure

>>54549269
>Watch out for new jackpointers.
At this rate I'll never purchase another Shadowrun product with actual money ever again. Still hoping this won't happen, but we all know that Red is a thing.
>>
>>54547296
There's a reason why we don't use knockout gas grenades IRL, anon. There's a really fine line between "knocked out" and "dead", and the problem with knockout gas is that once they hit the "knocked out" threshold, they keep breathing it in until they hit the "dead" threshold.

This is a problem, unless you're taking the Russian approach to anti-terrorism; unfortunately, I can't find the relevant meme about the theater hostage crisis.

>>54549405
I dunno, anon. I could certainly see someone becoming a Toxic Blood Mage if they have the right magical tradition. A magical tradition like certain types of esoteric Jewry, with blood sacrifices to Moloch and Sabbateanistic social manipulations intended to purify the world of virtue.

Yes. Literally the Happy Merchant, straight out of /pol/.
>>
>>54530213
Any good "how to run Shadowrun" pasta around? Not the mechanical side of things, I realized that'll be a bit of a mess. I'm also more of a black trenchcoat than pink mohawk guy.
>>
>>54550723
Nvm the noob, found it.
>>
>>54550723
Never make a deal with a dragon or try to fuck them. Their genitalia will crush your body.
>>
Question, anons: would you let a character who has the Bipolar negative quality control their manic/depressive/neutral states through the use of BTL personafix moodchips?

If so, would you allow an Oni Street Samurai PC who got onto BTLs to manage her bipolar disorder, wound up working for one of those BTL personafix brothels as a result, then got on the cyberware train when she got some cybereyes using her prostitution income to correct her meta-variant's protruding tard-eyes, and discovered that she was unusually biocompatible with cyberware?
>>
>>54549469
>out of funds
Who said that? You're quoting the statement that they don't want to pay as much for increasingly common blood mages. Gotta keep up, champ.
>>
COME ON, FLESHLINGS
INTO THE NEW THREAD
>>54551321
>>54551321
>>
>>54533318
>Returns: Human with guns.
>Dragonfall: Pistols-wielding elf decker.
>Hong Kong: Mono-whip and a splash of magic on a troll.
>>
>>54546237
Racter please.
>>
File: 1437677176898.jpg (239KB, 581x815px) Image search: [Google]
1437677176898.jpg
239KB, 581x815px
>>54537748
Dwarves have Body/Strength on the level of an ork, but instead of mental penalties they get a Willpower bonus. I'd say they one of the most unadulteratedly good metatypes in the game, alongside elves.
>>
>>54539324
>Dragonfall: never got around to finishing it. Need recommendations. Thinking about a Troll or Dwarf adept.
Be a Decker. Blitz is even worse than Is0bel.
Thread posts: 327
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.